Pixie's Honor : Chapter 10

Printer-friendly version
Pixie's Honor

by:
Elsbeth


Matthew learns even the littlest of fairies value honor above all

greenpixie.png

Chapter 10

The coming of the dawn brought no comfort to Poppy’s emotions. Memories of South East Asia intermingled with the skirmish that had taken place hours before. However, this fight felt much different.

Originally, Matt joined the Navy to get away from the small town in which he was born. With little or no money for college, like many young men of the time, he would eventually end up in one of the branches of the military. Better to pick, his grandfather told him, than to let them to pick for you.

The Navy seemed a reasonable choice for someone wanting to see more of the world and believed full scale naval battles were a thing of the past. Not that Matt was a coward. He just couldn’t comprehend taking another person’s life. As soon as he enlisted in the Navy, he joined the Hospital Corps, filled with a new sense of purpose to take care of the sick and injured.

When ordered to join a Marine unit being shipped to South East Asia, he went without a fuss. Although fate must have been laughing, his plans for staying away from combat went to naught.

At first, he refused to pick up a firearm, thinking the Drill Instructor’s advice didn’t seem particularly wise. When the DI began to explain what weapon as a Navy Corpsman they would be allowed to carry, he pulled out a pistol. Setting it back on the table, he picked up an M16; informing the surprised Corpsmen that they would actually carry this weapon into battle.

But, if he carried a M16, Matt would be a target and wouldn’t be able to get his job done. Plus, no one shot at medics, right? They weren’t even armed most of the time.

Although Matt declined to carry a weapon, real life soon took a terrible toll on his idealist attitudes. Those he was fighting on the other side didn’t care if he carried a weapon or not. To them, he was just another invader. Still, Matt took no pleasure in killing, but the lives of the Marines around him became more important.

Once he overheard a Sergeant tell his men, take care of the Corpsmen and they will take care of you. And it was true; they were Matt’s brothers. His last thoughts before being shipped home were for the friends he left behind.

However, the battle a few hours ago felt different. The fear and terror were all too real, the fighting just as brutal but it was the why that felt different. The Pixies fought and died for their sisters, protecting their lands, their forest. They fought for the honor of their Princess. While a single Pixie lived, they would never allow evil into their homes.

While lost in thought, the green haired pixie felt someone touch her shoulder.

“Come, Poppy, I want you to be by my side.” Bria pulled her along to join Xera and Eglantine.

“So does her Highness believe you found the weapon that is the one she seeks?” Eglantine moved next to Poppy, as Xera and Bria walked forward.

“We believe so.” Under Menadue’s body, the green haired pixie found a Felblade, a terrible weapon of the Winter Court. No one wanted to touch it, but Poppy’s sword gave her some protection. It now resided in the Princess’s capable hands.

“I heard that Lord Hastings seemed especially happy.”

Poppy grinned. “One more nail in that bitch’s coffin, I believe is what he said.”

Both Pixies giggled, only to be admonished by Xera but she too couldn’t help but give a very satisfied smile.

“They come.”

Grey forms began to walk out of the forest, which during the battle had been hidden away by other magics. Spriggans, mostly women and children, approached the four pixies, led by a beautifully tall Spriggan Wife.

“Ili, I’m glad to see that you are unharmed.” Xera approached her friend. The Spriggan Wife gave a small nod, before turning towards Bria.

“Clan Chief, may we have your permission to remain in these woods, no longer be wanderers, per our agreement?”

All four Pixies looked confused; such agreements were always made with the Hembrynkyas.

“Where are your men, Ilia? I thought your eldest would be the next Hembrynkyas.”

Bria looked at their numbers, much smaller than she first thought. Although she could see a few older males, most were young not even coming of age yet.

“Kean, my youngest, when he becomes of age will lead us. For now, they all lie with Menadue.” She said simply.

“What?”

The Spriggan Wife gave the pixies a sad smile. “We knew Menadue would not have attacked without both families present. Do you think he would not have noticed? Menadue insisted that my son Ion be by his side during the battle as well.”

Poppy looked at the Spriggan Wife, she could see the sorrow but something else caught her eye, fierce pride.

“Each knew what was required for our families to have a home once more.”

Eglantine stepped forward, her voice filled with disbelief. “When we appeared on Menadue’s flanks, I thought that at first that the Spriggans were fighting among themselves.”

“Indeed, do you think we would allow him or any of the others to live? He was never our true Hembrynkyas.”

Poppy shook her head in amazement. No wonder that flank collapsed as quickly as it did. From what she heard, some of the Spriggans didn’t even put up a fight. At first, the pixies thought it had been because of the surprise of the ambush, now they knew why.

“What about the Wives of Menadue, family, their children.” Xera frowned,

Ilia shrugged. “Either they joined us, or they joined him. Do we have an agreement, Bria?”

“Her Highness, Princess Morgan has another idea, if you’re willing, Ilia.”

“Of course, I am hers to command.”

Long before Columbus set foot upon the ancient lands, Norsemen had crossed the ocean, settling far to the north, but not all. Following the words of their Vá¶lurs, carriers of magic and daughters of Freya, a large group marched deep into the unknown lands. None of them ever returned home.

When the first Europeans settled the same lands, they listened to stories of the men of iron. Most thought them nothing but stories made up by the Pocomtuc Indians, but others knew them to be true.

Three mounds, often mistaken for the burial places for the Indian Chieftains, lay around Skogshaven. A Victorian Mansion sits upon one, unknown to most. The second lies hidden deep inside the woods, by a deep dark lake. The third, called Pocomtuc Mound by scholars, or Hugelgrab by the residence of Skogshaven, stands in the middle of a small state park.

The summer before, an Aos Sidhe Princess had fought a battle around the mound in an attempt to rescue the woman she loved. A Sorcerer of the Fin Folk had used ancient magic to summon a Draugr, a powerful barrow Wight, and although defeated, some could still feel its evil presence.

The Princess knew that eventually others might come to claim the burial gifts or attempt to summon the Draugr or the ancient king who lay deep inside. She needed protectors willing to guard those treasures.

“Ili, by Ash, Oak and Hawthorne, do you and your folk from this day forth swear that you will protect these ancient treasures and that you pay homage to the Queens of the Summer Court.”

“Yes your Highness, we do swear upon our blood.” The Spriggan wife, along with the entire family kneeled in front of the white garbed Princess.

Surrounding the Hugelgrab were several members of Morgan’s troupe and almost all of the pixies that inhabited the woods. They all stood there listening as the Spriggans paid homage to their Princess.

“Then by Ash, Oak and Hawthorne, the Hugelgrab is yours to guard.” Morgan smiled down at the Spriggans. “Welcome home Ili.”

The Spriggan Wife looked startled, a single tear running down her face. As one, they stood up and quickly faded into the ancient mound.

Laurel leaned her head on Poppy’s shoulder. “Guess they are not sticking around for the party.”

Syringa just rolled her eyes. “You just wanted to see if they had any more Moonmead.”

Off to the right, a bright light announced another Aos Sidhe approaching from the forest.

“That would be her Majesty.” Laurel giggled. Giving Poppy a kiss, she pushed her towards the approaching Warrior Queen. “Go have fun.”

Standing in the clearing Morgan, her mother Mab, Poppy and Lord Alexander studied the Felblade, taken from the body of Menadue.

“I will say this once again my daughter, I am not happy with your decision. However, I will admit that perhaps some of my apprehension comes from worry for you and a deep dislike for those with whom you will be working.”

“She seems nice enough.”

“She can be if she wishes it, although I wouldn’t trust her. However, you are the Arbitrator, someone who as a unique position for this to happen.” Mab reached over and held Morgan’s hand. “I’m very proud of you, daughter.”

Poppy smiled, although she could see that Lord Alexander wasn’t at all happy with the plans but like her, he didn’t have a voice. The entire decision rested upon Mab and Morgan.

All four turned when an RV followed by a Skogshaven Sheriff’s car approached.

“Mamma, I want to give them the Ashton House. They have been wandering long enough, don’t you agree.”

The Ashton house, much like the Skogshaven Historical Society home, was an old Victorian Mansion sitting inside the city limits. Currently it lay vacant.

“I think that Roisin will be very happy.” Smiling Mab turned to Poppy. “Can we speak before I go?”

“Must you go?” Morgan made a face.

“I will be here when you return but I must not be directly involved. Be safe, daughter, return to me.” The two of them held one another before Queen Mab took Poppy by the hand and led her away.

The Aos Sidhe Princess understood the politics of the situation. Members of the Summer and Winter Court fought one another but Queens themselves rarely went off to war; when they did, terrible things were known to happen.

The last full scale battle took place across the sea in Siberia, during the turn of the last century. Norms still believe the destruction was caused by a celestial event.

Lord Hastings watched as Poppy and Mab spoke to one another in hushed tones. “The two of them seem quite smitten with one another.”

“I know. You should have seen Poppy after their first date. I swear she didn’t stop smiling for the whole day.”

“So any chance of the two of us getting together for a date?”

Morgan put a finger to her lips as if thinking about it. “No, but good try, dear cousin.”

“Doesn’t hurt to ask.”

“True.” Morgan watched as quite a number of people exited the RV. “Seems Liam brought a few friends.”

“Yes, well….”

Morgan looked up at Lord Alexander questioning. “Yes, well what?”

She recognized a red haired Aos Sidhe that approached. Immediately the beautiful and well-armored Aos Sidhe went down on one knee.

Morgan found her weapons an interesting mix of the modern and the ancient. On one hip, a long bronze blade in contrast to the Glock 35 on the other, sticking up from the woman’s back appeared to be the barrel of an assault rifle.

“Your Highness, may I present Dame Wynda, daughter of Countess Athadra, Order of the Red Oak.”

“Greetings Dame Wynda, please rise. I’m guessing that Alex has explained what we plan on doing today.” Morgan knew that her cousin had reached out for some extra help. So far, she was impressed with what she saw.

“Yes your Highness, Lord Alexander has given me a high level briefing, but I imagine we will discuss the mission in detail before we depart.”

Morgan smiled, she sounded like Poppy when she got going. The two of them should hit it off wonderfully.

“Your Highness, Liam has informed me that he also has new armor for you to wear.”

“Really?” Morgan looked at Alexander, who shrugged. “I was happy with the mail.”

“I wasn’t, you need a little more protection.”

“My mother put you up to this didn’t she?” Morgan made a face before heading towards the RV. Alex was wise enough not to say anything.

“So Wynda, how do you know my dearest cousin?”

“We have been lovers on and off for a number of years, your Highness.”

Morgan raised an eyebrow, looking back at Alex who was caught trying to make the ‘be quiet’ motion with his hands.

Slipping her arms into the Aos Sidhe knight’s, Morgan said. “The name is Morgan, by the way, and you and I definitely need to talk.”

Wynda seemed shocked, then grinned. She liked this Princess. Suddenly the two of them looked at one another then started to giggle.

Lord Alexander knew he was in deep trouble.

++++++++++

Authors Notes: A special thanks to djkauf for a little elvish editing. If you like the story please leave a Kudos, if you have the time I would love to hear from you. Thanks to all for reading!

up
261 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Deep Trouble

Sad and tragic to humor, this tale covers them all. Morgan the Princess truly shows her wisdom by using gifts of land to secure her borders and gather allies. I'm very much enjoying this story.

hugs
Grover

Morgan the Princess

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks, I'm glad your liking the story. And yes, with help Morgans doing a lot to protect the forest. Thanks for reading

*hugs*

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Sorrow and sacrifice

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

So very sad in terms of what the spriggans had to give up to bring an end to their wandering. The few pixie casualties were obviously from the hands of Menadue's followers so it could have been much, much worse for them too. I guess the good thing that has come out of this is that the forest has now gained formidable protectors to add to its numbers, even if the cost was not cheap.

Great to see another chapter of this wonderful story.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Sorrow and sacrifice

Elsbeth's picture

Very true, although the Spriggans didnt have a clue, without the help of the others the outcome could have been quite different. Thanks for reading.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Yea! More Pixie's Honor!

Elsbeth, as always, nice chapter! (Hugs) Taarpa

Yea! More Pixie's Honor!

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks Taarpa, glad your liking it. Thanks for reading

*hugs*

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Pixie's Honor : Chapter 10

Good chapter

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

An interesting take on Pixies in general...

As many stories that I've read have cast them as floating balls of mischief and mayhem. That said, I like this portrayal in that it gives them a depth of personality, a reason for being around. I also like how they are "born" from the dieing people in our world, as it were.

Wonderful story Elsbeth, and thank you very much for sharing this one with us. ^^

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Pixies in general...

Elsbeth's picture

Oh they can be very mischievous, especially when it comes to those who enter the fae woods without permission. They wont do harm to the true innocent or children, even helping them out however to others, yes they can be "floating balls of mischief and mayhem".

In the folklore of southwestern England, a pixie or pisky is a tiny elflike spirit or mischievous fairy dressed in green who dances in the moonlight to the music of frogs and crickets.

Pixies are said to enjoy playing tricks on people, for example by stealing their belongings or throwing things at them. At night, they steal horses (like many fairies) and bring them back before dawn, leaving only tangled manes as evidence of the prank.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

With the decisions made

by the Fey, how will the Unseen and humans be affected?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Oh oh.

Diesel Driver's picture

Oh what a fun couple of lines there at the end. What a perfect way to end the chapter. Alex is in trouble... LOL

Chris