The Sacrificial Boy : Chapter 15

Printer-friendly version
The Sacrificial Boy

by:
Elsbeth

Aislin learns that all choices in life come with consequences

Sorceress.jpg

Chapter 15

Judicar Laoch, a tall, handsome, fair-haired young commander who had risen quickly through the ranks of the Verities of the Red, groaned as he slowly pulled himself off his cot.

Rubbing his face, he thought it strange that he didn’t remember going to bed the night before. His last memory was having a meal with the three other Judicars and High Lord Judicar Fearg, who commanded the regiment.

Looking about, he realized something was terribly wrong. Everything in his tent had been removed. Tables, chairs, maps, his personal chest, and even his armor, had disappeared. As much as one might find it amusing, such jokes didn’t help with keeping order in the ranks. Shaking his head at the childishness of it all, the young man stepped out of the tent to confront whoever came up with the prank, only to find the ruins deserted.

“By the gods of battle.” He stopped his tirade as he suddenly noticed a young woman standing over a campfire. With her long black hair and flowing gown of the same color, she was a thing of beauty. Drawing closer, he could hear her singing happily, as she stirred a large pot, every so often tasting the contents.

Looking up from her labors, she gave him a beautiful smile. “Good morning Laoch, would you care to join me for some breakfast?”

Numbly he nodded, her steel-blue eyes drawing him in closer. Unable to help himself, he took a seat on a large log in front of the campfire. After being handed a wooden spoon and a bowl of what appeared to be some porridge mixed with dried fruit, the young man looked up at her a little confused. Who was she, and how did she know his name?

“A new friend of mine suggest mixing ground Milis nuts into the porridge, I hope you like the flavor.” She continued to stir the pot, humming the tune of the song she sang only moments before.

At first, he thought the strange woman might want to poison him but decided he would be dead already if that had been her intent. Hesitantly the young commander took a bite, then another. Delicious.

“Can you answer some questions?”

“Eat first, and then we will talk.” She said, putting servings of porridge into her own bowl before sitting down in front of him.

The two sat quietly, enjoying the warmth of the fire as they ate. With the pot empty, he realized that the woman only finished one bowl while he had four.

“If we fed our men like this every breakfast, I wouldn't have had problems getting new recruits.” Laoch laughed, feeling a little better about the situation.

The woman didn’t laugh but did give the Judicar a smile for the compliment.

“You have questions?”

“What happened?”

”You were poisoned two nights ago.”

“What.” He rose from his seat, then reluctantly sat back down. “I don’t understand. The last thing I remember was sharing a meal with High Lord Judicar Fearg and other officers in the regiment. He was upset about not finding the Black Sorceress’ castle, but he wouldn't poison us because of his own failings. Unless we were all poisoned?”

Although the young man wouldn't have admitted it to anyone else, the decision to enter the Old Forest to put an end once and for all to the Black Sorceress had been poorly planned, and a waste of time and resources. After marching the entire regiment through the woods for a week, only to find moss-covered ruins, seemed to confirm that belief.

“No, I’m afraid only you. Once the poison took effect, your fellow Judicars dumped you in your bed, informing your men that you had too much to drink. The next morning, they were ordered to pack up your belongings and depart.”

“I don’t understand, why didn’t they wake me up?”

“Because from what they could tell, you were dead. Of course, some of your men didn’t appear to be particularly pleased about the turn of events. They wanted to have a funeral in your honor, but High Lord Judicar Fearg commanded everyone to leave you in your tent to rot.”

“Why would he do that?” How odd, he thought to himself. The Verities hated to waste equipment; the next commander would have need of the tent if nothing else.

The beautiful woman smiled. “Well, that’s my fault. I manipulated his actions a little bit, as I didn’t want them to move you. Since you were in no danger of dying, as I healed you earlier, I thought it would be more comfortable for you, if you slept on the cot than in the ground.”

Laoch shot up off the long, grabbing his side but found his sword missing. With another sigh, he sat back, noticing the amusement in the woman’s beautiful eyes.

“You’re her aren't you, the Black Sorceress.”

“So I have been called, but you can call me Aislin. Can I ask you a question?”

The young man shrugged. “I’m not sure why you bothered to save my life, but I am grateful, so I’ll answer what I can up to a point.”

Laoch found himself smiling as the Sorceress gave a small laugh. “Trust me. I won’t force you to tell me anything you don’t want me to know. So, why did you join the Verities?”

Judicar Laoch sat back startled at her sudden change of demeanor, from playful to serious in the span of a second. He also realized that this woman had not saved him without reason, but oddly enough, he wanted to trust her.

“My sister, she was burned by a rogue Thaumaturgist and died from her injuries soon after.” He said bitterly remembering the sweet young girl who died covered in bandages.

“Not exactly unknown, right, she also happened to be your sister’s best friend. No, it was nothing more than an unfortunate accident, a true tragedy for both families.”

Laoch looked at the Sorceress in shock. “Then she should have stayed away from Illia. Those people are cursed; evil...they...all should be...” Suddenly he stopped realizing who he was talking to. However, the Black Sorceress didn’t appear to be angry. Instead, she looked sad.

“Did you know that your sister was trying to help her friend control her powers? That’s when the accident occurred. Illia didn’t want to see her best friend sent away, or worse, burned to death. Of course, if she had been given proper training instead of having to hide it from her parents, then both their deaths might have been avoided.”

The young man looked down at the ground, unable to speak. The Sorceress couldn't have known what happened, but why did it sound like the truth.

“Your sister did keep asking for her best friend right up until the end.”

The young man nodded.

“How did your sister die, Laoch? Surrounded by friends and family, given a draught of the Codladh and Adh flowers so she wouldn't feel any pain, right? And the child Briget? Heartbroken for harming her friend, terrified and in terrible agony right up to the very last moment before the fire claimed her life. Did you know that because she had an affinity for fire, it took longer for the poor girl to die? If she had been fully trained, she could have walked through it unharmed; instead, her ability only prolonged the agony.”

Judicar Laoch continued to look at the ground, unable to meet the Sorceress' eyes.

“You loved Bridget as well, didn’t you? And she betrayed that love by killing your sister.”

Laoch slid off the log, wrapping his hands around his head. He had just come of age when they first met, only a few years older than her; he had instantly fallen in love. Laoch could still remember Bridget’s laugh, her smile, her gentle touch, and her death still haunted his dreams. Wiping hot tears from his face, the young commander looked up at the Black Sorceress.

“What does this have to do with my sister’s death?”

“Everything, they recruited you even before the coals of Bridget’s pyre cooled. You wore the blood-red Tabard of the Guardians at your sister’s funeral, did you not? However, what happened when you organized your first burning?”

“I had to walk away.”

“Yes, you did. If fact, you have made sure not to be involved with any more burnings. Your command always seemed to be involved with something else when such things were needed. So much so, that many other Judicars transferred men to you who were reluctant as well.”

“Just because I wouldn't let my command be involved doesn't mean I don’t believe in what the Verities are trying to do?”

“So tell me, what were they trying to do with your little Demonstrations of Faith? Pillage a town, burn a home or two; perhaps hold down a farmer so he can watch as a troop of Guerrier take turns raping his wife. All for what? To put fear into the hearts of the people, so they won’t object when the Verities enter a village to murder their sons and daughters.”

“I never involved my men in those demonstrations.” The young man answered angrily.

“I know, or we wouldn't be having this conversation.” The Black Sorceress gave him a hard look before it softened. “Laoch, the Verities cannot afford, especially now with the rebellion in the west, for a young popular commander to appear as if he was questioning their authority. Now, you’re just another pitiful soldier who drank himself to death.”

“So, now what?” Laoch asked tiredly. “You didn’t kill off an entire regiment of Guerrier to talk to me.”

“I did no such thing. Although they trespassed into my lands, I have not harmed them in any way. In fact, your regiment is currently walking around in circles. Eventually, they will find their way out of the forest.”

Laoch got off the ground, laughing, brushing himself off. He looked around the campsite. “Thank you for keeping me safe, Aislin, and feeding me, of course, but why did you save my life?”

“Would you believe it because it was the right thing to do?”

“No.”

Aislin laughed. “Good man, but I would have done it anyway. Well, it appears you have two choices.” With a wave of a hand, the forest parted.

“Down that path lies refugees, mostly farmers and their families, many who recently fled their homes because of the last Demonstration of Faith. They all have a desire to fight and refuse to sit and do nothing. Unfortunately, there isn't a real warrior among them. So what do you think will happen when they try and fight a troop of your Guerrier?”

The young commander nodded, knowing exactly what would happen. “So, what do you want me to do?”

“Lead them, train them, be their strength when things get bad and trust me it will. Encourage them to move forward to take back their lives from those who wish to take it from them. More of them will flock to your banner; if you’re successful, trust me, you won’t be alone for long. Although if you do agree to take that path, some of your men who also share your views might just find themselves joining you.”

“And my other choice?”

Aislin waved her hand, revealing another path. “Go back to your regiment. They will be surprised, of course, to see you alive, especially your commander. However, they probably won’t do anything until you make your way out of the forest. Or perhaps, I have been lying, and this is all a misunderstanding, and they will happily welcome you back into their ranks.”

It wasn’t much of a choice really, as the young man started to walk towards the forest opening he stopped, “What about you?”

The Sorceress looked surprised. “What about me?”

“Will you join me?”

Aislin laughed. “As much as I appreciate the offer, that is your path to take; I have my own.”

“You seem different in person than the stories.”

“So I have been told. Don’t worry, Laoch; we will meet again. Oh, I did tell you one little untruth. High Lord Judicar Fearg, he will not be leaving this forest alive.”

The former Judicar just smiled, and with a wave headed down the forest path, his thoughts already working on how to turn farmers into soldiers.

--0--

High above dark clouds filled the night’s sky as small flashes of light spoke of heavy rains in the near future. On the rolling hills below the billowing sky, the main army encampment of King Conall buzzed with activity.

The encampment itself looked like a small city, even with separate quarters. The Nobles and their tents were placed in the center, protected from all sides. Surrounding them were the camps of the different regiments of foot and horse, with most of the men sleeping under the open sky, rain or not.

Intermixed within the soldier's camps stood the tents of smiths, armorers, and wheelwrights; anyone who supported the army on the march. Just outside the camp followers and others who joined the army on the march, including merchant wagons, filled with goods, drink, and women made available to those who had the coin.

Those with the gift usually found a place within the encampment as well, including the white healer’s tents. Protected by royal guards, they stood somewhat by themselves away from the regimental camps.

Court Baroness Ráisán, followed by six other Court Healers and their apprentices, talked among themselves as they walked away from the large tents of the King’s Healers. For most of the afternoon and well into the evening, the small group of powerful women had attempted to coordinate some order out the madness that occurred during every campaign.

Although King’s Healers possessed substantial power when it came to dealing with the sick or injured, it did not allow them to command healers hired by different regiments, much less the Court Healers brought on campaign by the Noble houses.

By the end of the evening, not a lot had been accomplished other than Baroness Ráisán, well-liked among the King’s Healers, who promised that her people, the Wisewomen who joined their village men on the march would assist the King’s Healers when possible.

“No matter what we do, people are going to die because there are never enough of us. “ Lady Shayla complained to her fellow Council members.

All understood that because of dwindling supplies and worn out healers, taking care of the sick and injured as the campaign continued would become increasingly difficult.

“Even if half of the so-called regimental healers agreed to work in the sick tents, it would help.”

“Only if we paid them first.” Lady Felecia, the youngest of the group, gave a mirthless laugh. “And of those Eadrom, how many of them possess any real ability?”

One of the responsibilities of the King’s Healers was to ferret out the charlatans as if they didn’t already have a dozen things better to do.

Court Baroness Ráisán turned to her group. “No matter how much we complain, remember some of the blame lies with us as well. How many of you, because of your oaths, are restricted from assisting other households?”

The six women looked her; some just nodding while others looked ashamed.

“I have been on campaign many times, my dear sisters; trust me, this will only get worse. Please, go back to your tents and get as much rest as you can, we have a long day ahead of us.”

--0--

“Good evening to you, Baroness Ráisán.” An unfamiliar voice said from behind.

Ráisán sat up from her desk, remembering that earlier she had been taking notes from a book on herbs of the southern lands. Apparently, she must have fallen asleep, but who had entered her tent unannounced, and where was her granddaughter Nikkei?

Turning around to get a better view of the intruder, for a brief moment, the Baroness thought she had seen a ghost. Suddenly the old woman stood up, crossed the tent before starting to curtsey before the raven-haired beauty dressed all in black.

“You’re-”

The young woman stopped her with a smile. “Please, just call me Aislin.”

“Aislin” She mouthed the words for a moment as if confused then quickly said. “Then I insist you call me Ráisán.”

The Baroness nervously motioned her guest towards a couple of camp chairs. Moving to the other side of the tent, she looked back, still not quite believing her own eyes.

As she placed a silver tray down on the table in front of them, Ráisán said. “I hope you don’t mind the tea might be a little cold.”

“Thank you; this is lovely,” Aislin said.

After reaching for her cup, Ráisán took a small sip of the black tea, trying to steady her nerves before placing it back on the table. “Before you explain to me why you are here, or how, for that matter, Aislin, I would like to apologize for how the Council of Elders treated you.”

For all of her life, Aislin assumed it was because she was a boy, she knew better now. “The reason they refused to see me was because of my father.”

“Yes, but it shouldn’t have mattered,” the old healer growled. “All of us, not just us healers, are barely tolerated, but those women were more concerned with their positions than the need to protect one of their own. We did a great disservice to you, Aislin and for that, I am deeply ashamed.”

Aislin gave the old woman a gentle smile. “I bear the Council no ill will, Ráisán. In fact, Macha and Ina told me that you, among a few others spoke up for me, for that I am grateful.”

The Court Healer looked relieved. “Even with all that has happened, your grandmother is still my friend.’ She paused for a moment, looking at the young woman sitting in front of her. “You look so much like her. It’s uncanny, but your relationship to her is not why you’re here is it?”

“No.”

Ráisán gave a satisfied smile, in one motion, came out of her seat, and curtsied all the way to the ground. “Command me, Máithair.”

“Ráisán,” Aislin whispered, looking down at the older woman in surprise.

The Baroness looked up at Aislin. “We, the Council of Elders, remember our heritage. Have you wondered why there is always an empty seat within the Council? So please, Máthair, how may this old woman help you.”

The two women looked at one another, then Ráisán started to laugh. “It appears that I am stuck, these old bones of mine are not quite fit enough to do this sort of thing.”

As Aislin reached down to help Macha’s grandmother stand, the Court Healer gave a small gasp, the pain that had been chronic in her knees and back had vanished.

Taking a seat, she said in wonder. “You are her, aren’t you? I knew you must be.”

Although Aislin knew of the meeting, she stayed silent as Ráisán explained that Ina and Macha had been summoned to speak to the Council of Elders. How the two women were questioned about the strange plague that had struck Lord Kelvin’s lands and why did the two of them involve Aislin.

Some of the members of the Council had planned to punish Ina for allowing Aislin to pretend to be a healer. However, that quickly ended when she, a former Elder herself, explained that Aislin had the ability, even if some members of the Council refused to believe it.

Only through her potent healing ability, did the illness not spread to the rest of the Kingdom. Ina insisted that neither she or her apprentice had been able to heal those ill, nor would the Council be able to find someone, even a King’s Healer, with that ability.

Aislin could see the pride in the Baroness’ eyes as she explained how her granddaughter stood in front of the Council, passionately telling them how Aislin, garbed as a King’s Healer, as was her right, removed not an illness but a curse that had struck Lord Kelvin’s land. How in the end, when young girls started to disappear, it was Aislin who traveled into the forest by herself to put a stop it.

“Macha’s still angry with you for not taking her along.”

Aislin nodded sadly. “I know.”

“I will tell you, Máithair, those who acted against you no longer sit on the Council. Especially when rumors of the Sorceress’ return suddenly came out of the south. Although Macha refused to talk about it, I was certain that person was you.”

“Perhaps Ráisán, when we can all sit down together, I will tell you the whole story.”

The Baroness gave Aislin a warm smile. “I look forward to it. Now some of these rumors seem quite fanciful. We didn’t quite know what to believe.”

The Sorceress' cheeks colored a little as she explained. “Well, I’m not saying that they aren’t true, but they have overstated my ability quite a bit in the storytelling.”

“I’m sure; the old storytellers tended to embellish those tales as well.”

Aislin only smiled.

“I also hear that you have rescued a fair number of young girls from a terrible fate.”

“That at least is true and also happens to be one of the things I needed to speak to you about. Currently, they reside with me, although I have rescued several young men as well.”

“How may the Council help you, Máthair? Do you wish to send them to villages in the north as apprentices?”

Aislin shook her head sadly. “Normally, I would say yes, but not with the girls currently under my care. They have been through a terrible ordeal, Ráisán. Many of them betrayed by people they thought loved them. No, they need some healing so for now, I am happy to have them remain in my home.” She then smiled. “However, as you surmised, I am going to need help as I plan to have many others join me.”

Ráisán gave a small laugh. “What are you planning on doing, start a University?”

“Yes, something like that.”

In the last decade, throughout the kingdom, small centers of learning, Universities, had appeared. Mostly young men, lesser nobles, and young merchants entered to learn such subjects as languages, history, and mathematics.

The Baroness looked shocked for a moment, before smiling broadly as the Sorceress told of her plans long into the night.

up
259 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cool beans

Setting the foundations both for the battle to come as well as for winning the peace after the war. Hopefully the term Mathair would be explained though I would suggest it is the wisest/most powerful. Wars are not only won on the battlefield. Without a plan in place to secure the peace, a war is usually a pretty useless gesture .... you hear me George W Bush?

Aislin is leading without having to resort to some made up Captains that the first sorceress had. One would suspect that the original Black Sorceress did not set up a way for cohesive governance without her iron hand so when she passed on, well mostly, there was a power vacuum. Aislin will add her own mixture of will and compassion to how she will make it all work.

Oh and the story telling remains first rate. This story has a beautiful flow and seems to draw out the comments from me.

Kim

Oh and the politics is in full flow now

A tolerated minority, mainly because they are useful, is fragmented and in-fighting, seemingly barely holding on to their position in society, is unable to unite themselves and form a united front to raise up their collective identity and rights. Sounds familiar?

Aislin has her work cut out for her but like other commentators have mentioned, she is recruiting potent allies and managers and if I am not mistaken, an army. She is learning as most good managers do is to learn how to get good people and delegate.

Being who she is, Aislin will no doubt live a long time and be able to see this through - hopefully.

Kim

And befitting such a medieval setting

Aislin has taken upon herself to dispense High Justice. One can make the argument she has the right to do what she sees fit in defending her own lands though the borders of which are not clear of course as I doubt she has 'Warning: no trespassing' signs around or a 'Warning: Black Sorceress estate, keep out' signs (yes the latter was inspired by a certain Bugs Bunny cartoon.)

Essentially she has given herself or embraced in herself nobility status though she has not yet proclaimed a formal title as such in addition to her nominal 'Black Sorceress' moniker.

Kim

High Justice

Elsbeth's picture

One could probably argue her right to dispense justice on her land, although the Guardians were well aware that they were encroaching on hr domain. As you read, their objective was to 'get rid of her once and for all' Of course High Lord Judicar Fearg crimes went way beyond simply trespassing.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Secure the peace

Elsbeth's picture

As you will see, and your correct to assume that Aislin is well aware of her relatives shortcoming and that a better life for everyone after the Darkness is defeated is just as important as defeating the darkness itself. She will be given a number of choices in the near future and because she is who she is, will take the tougher route because its better for everyone in the long run.

I'm pleased you liking the story & thanks for reading (and the comments :) )

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

A well crafted story.

At first this was difficult for me to follow as I am getting old and neither my eyes or mind work like they once did. Thank you for persevering with this tale.

Gwen

My Pleasure

Elsbeth's picture

Why thank you, I'm happy your sticking with it and are enjoying the story.

Thanks again for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

From the begining

I have been following this story, enjoying every tasty morsel, you have written. I am impressed with the character development, and the atmospherics are wonderful. I have taken interest in each of the characters, and what has happened to them along the way. I would like to know the end of the Poisoner, it should be delicious.

Misha Nova

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Character development

Elsbeth's picture

Misha

Thank you very much, I will say that Aislin's story is a lot of fun to write and hope that her world is coming to life. I'm pleased your enjoying it.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

The Long View.

Aislin is certainly taking that, but also doing things to ensure that she has allies in the short term. Two very important people, I think, have been talked to in this chapter and their allegiance, or at least help, has been won. Nice.

Maggie

The Long View.

Elsbeth's picture

Your right, Aislin has taken the long view quite like her 'Aunt' although she of course does it in her own way. Thanks :) Happy your liking the story Maggie & thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Winning the Peace

is far more important than the war because it prevents any further conflicts. I liked how you showed the mix mash of feudal oaths were crippling the healers ability to act. Also I'm beginning to see how Aislin is acting as a tyrant in the Greek sense of the word which is different from the modern interpretation. When things get all fouled up someone has to clean up all the corruption and mismanagement and set things right. The scene with young Laoch was good too. She's not tarring every Judicar with the same brush. However even with this, she is still the healer. :)

Nicely done!
Hugs
Grover

Winning the Peace

Elsbeth's picture

Hey Grover

Let me see (or remember), you mean the original meaning, like the Greek ruler Peisistratus as opposed to Plato's definition which is closer to our more common understanding. Yea, ill go with that. :) She still has a long way to go though. Glad your liking the story & thanks for reading

*hugs*

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

KEWL!

I love what Aislin's doing. In this chapter first saving Laoch and recruiting him to train the farmers to fight for there lands, and now starting a center for higher learning for the girls with abilities to help then learn how to use and control said abilities. Nice Elsbeth, so looking forward to more! Big Hugs, Taarpa

Laoch

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks, I'm happy your liking in Taarpa. Yea, Aislin is slowly building up things, and as commented before she has her own way of doing things.

Thanks again for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

With Laoch helping the

farmers, and Aislin meeting the others, how will this affect the future?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Such a good story with such

Such a good story with such good and complex plots. Gotta love that. Aislin is awesome.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Every time I read this chapter

it brings me to tears. Compassion and love are such qualities we need in leaders and so seldom get. Aislin shows them both. I was about to say even to those who do not deserve them, yet, those are the ones who need them the most.

I am spellbound every time I start another chapter. Thank you for weaving such a rich story.

Bright Blessings,
Cassie Elllen

An abused population and it's

An abused population and it's structure in need of
a new direction..Wonderfull!

alissa