The Angry Mermaid 69 or Y Morforwyn Dicllon 69.

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Elements: 

TG Themes: 

Other Keywords: 

Permission: 

This chapter addresses a brief and successful confrontation with the Vikings that serves to better Drustina's standing with the Saxons of Wessex. She rescues two high-born Saxon brides and captures a Viking princess, daughter of King Harald Cold Blood.

The Angry Mermaid 69.

Or

Y Morforwyn Dicllon. 69

Mabina.... The youngest daughter and Twin to
Drustan.... Her twin brother.
Grandpa Erin.... the twin’s grandfather.
Giana... . The twin’s grandmother
Caderyn.... The twin’s father.
Herenoie.... The twin’s wise and beautiful mother.
Morgaran.... The Twins oldest brother.
Aiofe.... The twin’s oldest sister. Famous for her beauty.
Tara.... The twin’s second oldest sister. Famous for her grace.
Feidlim.... Twins aunt (Caderyns’ beautiful sister.)
Mogantu.... Twins uncle (Married to Feidlim.) Chief of the Gangani tribe.
Brun.... Twins 2nd cousin and the Acaman clans’ blacksmith.
Feorin.... Twins second brother. Also training to be a blacksmith.
Rhun.... Feidlims’ son and Feorins’ favourite 1st Cousin. (Both red-heads.)
Arina.... Child of a Demetae fisherman, (rescued by Aiofe, Drustan and Mabina.)
Penderol.... Dumnonii Minor chief.
Udris.... Young Dumnonii warrior.
Dryslwyn.... High chief of the whole Celtic nation. Dwells in Brithony.
Bronlwyn.... Dryslwyn’s wife (and queen.)
Magab.... The moor who taught numbers.
Eric.... Saxon galley slave rescued from Corsair pirates.
Carl.... Another Saxon galley slave rescued by Drustan.
Torvel.... Celtic galley slave rescued from the same captured corsair ship
Arton.... Turdetani Chieftain Holder of Gibral Rock.
Carinia.... Arton’s wife.
Isobel... . Arton’s adopted daughter.
Appotel.... King of the Turdetani Tribe. (Southern Iberia.)
Bramana.... Queen. (Wife of Appotel)
Pilus.... King of the Capetani.
Shaleen.... Pilus’s queen and sister to Bramana.
Pedoro.... Lord Marshal of the Southern border region.
Lady Shulaar.... Lord Pedoro’s wife.
Taan.... The scullery maid.
Isaar.... Pedoro’s oldest son.
Ferdie.... Pedoro’s 2nd son
Sular.... Pedoro’s 3rd son
Gontala.... Pedoro’s youngest son.
Shenoa.... Pedoro’s only daughter.
Portega.... Tyrant King to the west.
Portua.... Portega’s grandson.
Jubail.... Old Fisherman.
Mutas.... Magab’s younger brother and usurper.
Walezia.... King of Malta.
Alviar.... Megalomaniacal bishop of Carthage. (Hates Drustina.)
Ethelia.... Female healer who treats Drustina during her pregnancy.
Seripatese.... Drustina’s faithful horse.
Astos & Amitor.... Minor royalty who govern Alexandria. King and Twin Queen.
Meronee.... Nubian Queen of Nobatia The northern Kingdom of the Nubians.
Horam.... The Egyptian master Boat builder.
Muraa.... King Astos’s male partner.
Tuk.... Makurian general.
Fantu.... Makurian Captain.
Irene.... Emperor Leon’s only child.
Leon.... Byzantine Emperor.
Zano.... Byzantine general who defeats the Bulgars with Drustina’s help.
Urthos.... The Gaul elected captain of the 4th ship. Ex Barbary galley slave.
Horus... . Horam the boat-builder’s son.
Sister Catherine.... Leader of the pirate nuns.
Guthrun.... Jarl of Bornholm.
Etheline.... Guthruns’ wife the countess of Bornholm.
Capenda.... Taras’ mare.
Athun... . Gay king of Dark Age Denmark.
Queen Elthorn.... King Athuns’ Consort.
Iselda.... Athun and Brendigan, younger (middle) sister.
Heingist.... Drustina’s loyal Danish navigator and pilot.
Brendigan.... Athun’s older sister and consort queen of Svenland.
Bjorn.... The captain of the Palace Guard. King Athun’s partner.
Morgan and Amethyst.... Drustina’s twin children.
Dalcimon.... Queen of West Friesia.
Andrar.... Prince of West Friesia (Dalcimon’s son.)
Jupus... . Carl’s stallion.
Heliox.... Drustina’s second mate and deputy navigator (Ex Belgiie fisherman)

Chapter 69.

Drustina’s promise to Dalcimon proved a hard one to keep. Of the three hundred condemned Belgiie rebels whom she saved from certain execution, only about two hundred kept to their promise to join her band of warriors and support her in her quest.
During the cold winter months nearly a hundred rebels absconded one way or another. Mostly by joining the trading ships as crew and slipping away without being missed for a few hours ... long enough to be away and gone beyond Drustina’s reach.
When they were reported missing Drustina simply had to accept the defections. In truth she did not want pressed men who might prove to be resentful and thus unreliable or even treacherous when push came to shove in a battle. After a couple of weeks steady haemorrhaging Carl also became inured to the weekly accounting of defaulters. He agreed with his leader that they would be better off with only men they could trust.

Through the winter Drustina’s loyal Saxons devoted their time helping both the Belgiie and the townsfolk to improve the town whilst also building four more ‘Mermaid’ class ships. As spring approached, they were satisfied to have a fleet comprising a dozen ‘Mermaid’ class, ten captured Viking longships and two fast trading ships that Sister Catherine had exchanged for her bulky merchant ship. The old Baltic two-masted prow was proving a boon for ferrying valuable stone from the open ‘storm-beach’ and various other locations back to Hoek where there was a dearth of stone to be found amidst the estuarine marshes and creeks. Her fat belly and flat bottom was excellent for carrying large bulky cargoes but too slow for the trip that Drustina anticipated. Drustina needed fast ships and she was delighted when Sister Catherine revealed the fruits of her bargaining.

“Why these are excellent craft Cathy! And I see they’ve got sheltered holds to protect their cargoes. You can spot a bargain, can’t you? Who on earth did you persuade to part with these?”

Sister Catherine blushed before confessing she had seen a similar ship arrive in the autumn from up river and, after teaching an upriver boat-builder’s children to read and write, he had agreed to build her two adapted versions with enclosed decks and cargo holds in exchange for her ship and the contract to haul stone back and forth to Hoek.

“I need hardly tell you it was a done deal Dru,” Sister Catherine grinned. “I have no further use for the stone contract because I am coming with you. If you’re agreeable, I would like to continue handling the logistics of supplying your fleet as I have done since Ganske.”

“That would be my most fervent wish dear Cathy. I was afraid to ask because I thought you and Urthos looked like becoming an item.”

Sister Catherine shuddered.

“No thank you Dru! I love the man for he is truly a kindred spirit but, he returns to Christian Gaul and that is a backward step as far as I am concerned. I cannot live with that so-called faith and the cruelties to women it perpetuates.”

Drustina nodded slowly; she fully understood what Sister Catherine meant.

‘Still,’ Drustina reflected, ‘Gaul’s loss was her gain.'

The pair exchanged knowing looks and continued walking along the quay to where Drustina’s beloved Mermaid lay awaiting her captain’s pleasure. Catherine sensed a warmth emanating from Drustina and she smiled knowingly.

“You’re itching to be gone, I can tell.”

“Aye. The vernal equinox is but a week away and I’ll be gone the night before it.” Drustina murmured.

“Oh, that’s the first anybody knows of it.” Catherine replied.

“Keep it quiet then. Just make sure your ships are ready and loaded.”

“They already are,” Catherine declared, “as ready as they can be save for foodstuffs and water. There’s even room for your and
Tara’s horses, Seripatese and Capenda. Carl’s horse Jupus will travel in the other ship.”

“Oh. He’ll be pleased to keep his horse. It’s a fine animal; he needs a strong big horse.”

“Yes, a powerful stallion but not as fast as your little mare, nor as manoeuvrable.”

“Horses for courses sister Cathy. It’s a large, powerful horse that will frighten a foot-soldier by sheer size alone. Come let’s go and eat.”

And so the spring equinox arrived. On the day before March the twenty-first with no fanfare, Drustina’s fleet left Hoek. Having come in like a lamb that year, March lived up to its reputation and went out like a lion; and a south-westerly lion at that. Drustina’s fleet had a hard time of it for fully five days as it beat into the persistent gale of wind. Eventually supplies started running low. Sister Catherine’s ships could only carry so much. It seemed that the narrow channel was designed by the gods themselves to deter all but the most competent and tenacious seamen from ever passing south and west around the isle of
Britannia. Drustina reflected privately as she kept perpetually checking her fleet and counting sails to ensure all were in sight of each other if not in close attendance. The gale prevented them keeping close order, each ship needed plenty of room to manoeuvre.

‘It’s no wonder the residents of the island whether Briton, Dane, Saxon, Gaul, Frank, Mercian, Celt, Pict, Scot or Viking where all of necessity, good seamen.' Drustina reflected. 'Even she herself had sailed alone around Ynys Mon before her twelfth birthday and that included the Straits of Menai with its treacherous currents and whirlpools.’

Suddenly a shout dragged her from her reflections and she answered.

“What is it?”

“Two sails to the north mi-lady. Two merchantmen and close under the tall white cliffs.”

“Ignore them. They look as though they have problems enough getting off that lee shore. It was stupid of them to go so close in this wind. Are they making way?”

“It looks like it ma-am. Yes they’re just clawing their way clear but they’re going about it by a strange route. They should turn about and go north-east with the wind abaft their beam.”

As she exchanged information with the lookout perched high up the mast of The Angry Mermaid, a signal arrow shot skywards from Carl’s ship which was riding picket in the most north-easterly corner of the formation. It could only mean some sort of problem so Drustina ordered her Belgiie helmsman to ready about. Within seconds they were running free and almost planing to rendezvous with Carl. As she drew abreast of her second-in-command’s ship, Drustina needed no further communication. The north-east horizon was spotted with a dozen Viking masts and it was obvious they had the two merchant ships under the white cliffs in their sights. The Viking longships had oars and sail so they could safely pass right inshore under the cliffs and make progress even in the teeth of the gale. The two merchantmen were simply sailing ships and forced to tack constantly as they tried desperately to make southing and westing as they struggled to avoid the Viking wolves whilst yet clawing their way off the lee shore.

For the merchantmen it was a lost battle and Drustina knew it! Unless she intervened with her twelve Mermaid class ships backed up by her captured Viking prizes the merchantmen were done for.

She nodded to her signalman and a trio of signal arrows conveyed her intent to the whole fleet. Each captain knew his role for they had practiced many manoeuvres during the winter months in Hoek. As though guided by some invisible spirit, the whole fighting arm of Drustina’s fleet turned to face the Vikings whilst Sister Catherine commanded her supply train to keep Drustina’s ships between her and the Vikings. Everybody could see that a dozen Viking ships was not an invasion force, it was simply a pirate force bent on robbing honest traders or attacking settlements as and where they found them ashore or afloat.

Drustina watched her captains carefully to double check they were positioning themselves correctly and save for one, they entered a perfect formation. As the second in command and nearest to the wayward ship, Carl quickly fell upon the blunderer and put him right. Drustina smiled as she gauged their advantage. Her ships had the weather edge whilst the Vikings were now trapped between her fleet and the dreaded Godwin sands. Once again, Drustina was thankful she had trusted her Belgiie conscripts and found amongst them several fishermen who knew the Kent coast and off lying shoals like the backs of their hands. The most experienced amongst them was a man called Heliox who had fished these waters with his father since he was but a child. A young man in his twentieth year, he served on The Angry Mermaid as Drustina’s assistant navigator. She turned to him as he was spotting marks on the Kentish coast.

“Can they slip us?”

“The northernmost ones can get away to the north and east but the bulk of them must either face us or fetch up on the South Godwin bank. That’s certain death in this South-westerly gale. They have no choice but to face us.”

Drustina felt a satisfied lump calm her stomach.

“Good. We outnumber them, we’ve got the weather gauge and we’re more manoeuvrable. Signal to everybody to engage as per the plan.”

“As in every battle, plans rarely survive the first engagement, but the plan was not the main advantage that Drustina enjoyed. It was her weather gauge and her fleet’s freedom to roam as the wind took them.”

Despite the Viking ships having oars, their oarsmen where spent for they had been steadily rowing to overhaul their merchantmen prey for a full four hours since the dawn, and that into the teeth of the gale. As they were called upon to ship their oars and face Drustina’s ships, many of the Vikings were already exhausted and of little use save to swing a sword if and when their unrecognized enemy chose to lay alongside and fight it out.

Drustina however, had no intentions of ‘Fighting it out’ she simply maintained station to the South and West of the Viking fleet as the wind took both fleets closer and closer to the South Godwin sands.

Eventually, as the roar of breakers finally made themselves heard above the screech of the gale, the Viking captains realised they were drifting onto a vast sandbank that had been invisible behind the towering surf until the noise of crashing waves alerted them.
Amidst screams of urgency and panic, oars were frantically shipped again even as the rising surf was starting to heap up and toss the Vikings wildly. From the slightly calmer waters to the South-west, Drustina chose her moment well and unleashed salvo after salvo of arrows into each ship to disable the rowers and sow confusion. Her plan worked well and immediately four ships lost their rowing rhythms and were broached over the towering crests into the thunderous surf. Her men watched mesmerised as the Viking cries carried across to them even over the crashing roar of the surf and the screaming of the wind.

For no loss, Drustina had despatched a third of the Viking force and she still had the weather gauge. However she could allow no more northing or her own fleet would have entered the setting heave of the rising surf that was impossible to resist. They themselves would have been drawn over the breakers and into the same crashing cauldron of death. She signalled to withdraw and as one, her fleet turned to starboard and onto a broad reach would quickly take them due east away from the Godwin death-trap that was Neptune’s locker. She watched with Satisfaction as the remaining Viking ships, already cast between the rising surf swell and the Godwin bank, were frantically rowing North and east to pass desperately along the South Western foot of the lethal sands and make for safer waters around the Noord-hinder deeps. Even as Drustina watched from the safety of the deeper channel she and her fleet saw a fifth Viking ship fail to keep rowing fast enough and thus be carried inexorably onto the south-eastern tail of the Godwin. It slewed around and capsized as it broached the surf, thus tipping its crew into the crashing shallows. Many men made it onto the bank only to wonder if their comrades might later rescue them when the gale had abated. Or would they be left to their own inadequate devices and find some way of crossing over the sandbank at the lowest state of the equinoxial tide that was due in a couple of nights. Even if they managed this task they would still find it hard going wading and swimming across ‘The Downs’ channel to safety on the East Kent shore. Drustina debated leaving them to their fate or rescuing one or two at a later time and perhaps interrogating them for information.

At that moment though, she still had seven Viking pirate ships remaining and now she had to rethink her next plan for they were desperately trying to escape whilst her ships had become scattered during the attack. She wondered if she should split her forces and despatch a couple of the Mermaid class to contact the frightened merchantmen and reassure them she intended no harm to them. She could not send any of her long ships for that would simply frighten them further into some possible rashness that could endanger themselves. It had to be the Mermaid ships, if at all. They were the only ships fast enough to carry information to and from Drustina’s scattered forces. There was also the matter of Catherine and the supply train.

Drustina’s fighters were getting hungry and where were her two ships with all the food now?

Unfortunately, the gales had eventually brought the rain and visibility was deteriorating. She had to gather her forces and reassemble them but already, some were out of sight in the rain. To this end she fired off some signal arrows and was reassured to see her ships transmitting her orders to each other until each ship understood what was wanted; a rendezvous.

Eventually she counted all her warships except Sister Catherine’s two supply vessels.

‘Dammit’ she cursed, ‘we’ll have to locate them. My men are getting hungry and this rain doesn’t help.’ She signalled for her ships to spread out in a line whilst each one kept in sight of the next thus forming a search line to locate Sister Catherine. Each ship was to release a fire arrow every hour to declare they were okay and if anybody found Sister Catherine, they were to fire off four arrows.

Thus organised they soon found their supplies and were pleasantly surprised to find that Sister Catherine had contacted the two frightened merchant ships. She had advised them to temporarily join their convoy. The merchantmen were still wary for these were dangerous times so they stood off a little distance as Drustina’s fleet prepared to re-victual. Soon the warships were queuing up around their supply ships and the crews were eating gratefully as darkness descended. The sea was still too rough to exchange boats but the food bags were easily thrown across the waves from supply ship to each individual warship. To reassure the two frightened merchantmen further, Drustina decided to wait until dawn before talking to them.

By the morning, the gale and the rains had passed; the sea was manageable so Drustina demonstrated her honest intentions to the two wary merchantmen by herself approaching them in her own ‘jolly-boat’. They were shocked to learn that their rescuer was a woman but such was The Lioness’s reputation that they quickly realised they had been rescued and made safe. The wary looks turned to smiles as they eagerly welcomed her aboard. The leader of the merchantmen thanked her profusely.

“If there is anything we can offer you, it is yours to take. We are indebted to you!”

“All I want is information. How is the situation in this part of Britannia, who is at war with who, where have you come from, where are you bound? What places are safe?”

The merchant grinned.

“I should wonder with a fleet that put a whole Viking navy to flight, you would be safe and welcome landing anywhere in Britannia ... or Frankia for that matter.”

Drustina frowned slightly. It was not wise to let tales be exaggerated and stories become wild rumours. She quickly corrected the merchant.

“It was hardly a Viking navy sir. It was but a squadron at best. Twelve longships were all that my men counted. Now reduced to seven.”

“But even so, nobody so far has ever put these pirates, these wolves to such utter disaster.”

“Well that’s of no consequence now. What I need to know is where I can go without fear of attack? Where can my ships safely rest over for a few days and we can buy supplies.”

“Buy supplies. By the gods Lioness; I shouldn’t wonder that every settlement from here to Solanta would welcome you with open arms for driving those thieves away. They would throw supplies at you for free!”

Drustina paused and turned to her Belgiie navigator.

“Solanta; where’s that Heliox?”

“I’ve heard of it ma-am but I have never sailed there. I have heard it is on the coast of South Britannia but I do not know exactly where; fishing boats have little need to journey great distances.

The merchant was listening and quickly interrupted.

“Oh it is no great distance Lioness. That is our final destination but first we have goods to trade on the River Arun.”

“Is that a safe haven for my ships?”

“No Lioness, it is just a river with a small quay. You could not encompass all your ships in such a small creek. Solanta is by far the safest place big enough to accept all your ships. There is a large inlet with an Island called Wigt sheltering it from the winds and seas. It is an excellent harbour with clear prospects to east and west. A hundred ships can shelter there.”

Drustina had heard of Wigt from other traders long ago in her childhood though they had referred to it by its Brithonic name of Ynys Wiig. She had been too young to take much notice but she had heard of the name. This alone re-assured her and she nodded thoughtfully.

“Could you pilot my ships there, this place called Solanta?”

“Easily Lioness. But first I beg you; I must first complete my trading at Arun.”

“There is no need to beg. You are not my bondsman. Complete your business in Arun. How long will you be?”

“Four days. One day more to reach the river, then three days discharging our grain and loading the wool. Next we have wine to trade in Sotona, that’s our next port at the top of Solanta.”

“Good. I will escort you to Arun then I have some unfinished business back where we fought the Vikings. I will return to Arun and then I would request that you pilot my fleet to this place Solanta. Hopefully I will be back in four or five days. Can I ask you to wait for me? I will pay you a pilotage fee.”

“I would willingly do it gratis Lioness and this is my reason!”

The merchant turned and called down into the hold. A pair of beautiful girls emerged and Heliox could not suppress a gasp.

“My God! No wonder you were affeared! Are these your daughters?”

The merchant hesitated then nodded.

“Yes, our enterprise is expanding. My brother stays in Friesia whilst I and my family are moving to settle in Winchester and Sotona. “

Drustina caught her second navigator Heliox eyeing the girls and they were smiling back. She turned aside and cautioned him softly.

“Down boy. These girls are not for you. Get back into the jolly-boat.”

The young Belgiie slumped disconsolately and clambered into the boat whilst Drustina finalised the rendezvous in the River Arun in five days.

“You can spend an extra day in Arun; expand your trading links perhaps. Please bear with me. The business I have to complete is not a pleasant one!”

The merchant raised a knowing eyebrow.

“Burning a few more Viking ships I hope.”

“Not intentionally. Besides my captured long-ships will stay with you and wait outside the River Arun. I suspect your human cargo requires protection now they are known. I will leave my longships and my second-in-command to provide your escort. The task I face requires speed and stealth.”

“Then I’ll ask no more.”

The merchant breathed a visible sigh of relief and shook Drustina’s hand. He was surprised by the sinewy strength in the slender calloused fingers. Drustina grinned as she replied.

“That’s good because I was not going to tell you anymore. What I intend to do may not be a pleasant task.”

The merchant’s face clouded slightly but he let the matter lie. Drustina joined Heliox in the jolly boat and cautioned him as they rejoined The Angry Mermaid.

“Those girls are too good for you lad and not a word about them when we get back!”

“Why d’you say that my lady?”

“Did you not see the rings on their fingers?”

“Yes.”

“But you did not recognise the arms set in their rings?”

“No.”

“That is the house of Gunnor. Those girls are high-born. I doubt very much if they are his daughters. The merchant is not revealing all, perhaps because his mission is a secret. Possibly he is taking the girls as brides to some Saxon chieftains.”

“If they are high-born, could we not take them and Ransom them?”

“Don’t be stupid lad. I’ve got bigger fish to fry than a pair of bloody teen-aged girls. I will need the support of the Wessex Saxons and the Mercians, if I am to confront the Vikings who have stolen my homeland. Besides, by rescuing them, I will have already endeared myself and my men to whomsoever those girls are destined to marry. Think ahead lad, look at the long term view. It’s friends and allies I’ll need if I’m to drive these Vikings from Lleyn.”

“Where is this Lleyn?”

“It’s a goodly distance from here lad. It’ll be all of summer and possibly into autumn before we reach those waters. And even then, we may well have to wait until the next year before I am set to fight them and drive them out.”

“Have you a plan?”

“No, I don’t know how things lie as yet. I have much information to glean before I make a move.”

By then they had reached the Mermaid and Drustina immediately set sail eastwards back the way she had come to see if there were any Vikings still alive on the Godwin sands. She explained the situation for the survivorsd to Heliox.

“They will have spent an uncomfortable night up to their waists in water at high tide and with the approach of the equinoxial tides, they would be drowned possibly the following night or certainly by the next tide. The tides were rising with the approach of the equinoxial spring tide that followed the astronomical equinox by fourteen days in those parts.”

The squadron of six mermaid class ships arrived off the Godwin sands during a calm spell in the winds. As they circled the entire bank they found nobody at first but just as they were preparing to depart, Heliox the deputy navigator suspected he had seen an arm waving from behind what looked like a large stranded tree-trunk.

“Just there, see, an arm and yellow hair.”

Drustina peered and finally picked up the frantic waving. She complimented Heliox.

“Well done lad! You’ve got sharp eyes. Would you like to join the landing party and take him hostage?”

Heliox’s eyes lit up and he was strapping his sword on before Drustina could blink. She grinned and cautioned him.

“Don’t be too hasty lad. A cornered Viking is a bloody dangerous one. I’ll show you why another day.”

She watched as the shore party jumped into the waist-deep water and waded towards the stranded tree. The figure stopped waving then turned and started to run away from the party. It was only as Drustina noticed the long garment that she realised the fleeing figure was a girl. She screeched across the sands to the shore-party.

“Not a hair on her head!! D’you hear me? Not a single bloody hair on her head!”

One of the shore party waved his understanding even as Heliox had sprinted across the sand to capture her. Being the youngest warrior he was the fastest.

Drustina watched fascinated as Heliox swiftly ran the girl down then made a grab for her. She span around and flashed her arm furiously causing Heliox to curse loudly. Drustina had seen the glint of a knife but so had Heliox. He stopped in his tracks and drew his sword even as the girl started backing into the sea whilst brandishing her knife. Drustina decided she had better intervene; a woman’s touch was needed here.

By the time she had crossed the sandbank, the shore-party was semi-circled around the golden haired girl as she hesitated standing waist deep in the cold water. Drustina arrived and ordered her men to step back out of earshot. Then she spoke softly to the girl.
Drustina’s obvious command of the situation told the young girl something but fear and uncertainty still registered in her snarl.

“You’ll never take me!”

“How do you mean; take you?”

“I am a maid and I’ll die one!”

So saying, she lifted her dagger to her breast in a pose that clearly intentioned suicide.

“Why would you kill yourself? I can’t rape you, I’m a woman! My men will not harm you, they obey me completely!”

The girl swallowed as her lower lip trembled.

“Who are you?”

Drustina softened her voice, partly to reassure the girl and partly to make sure the men didn’t hear.

“I think I should be asking you that young lady. I’m the one in control here and I have no intention to harm you.”

The girl hesitated again then demanded haughtily.

“I command you to declare yourself or my father will wreak terrible vengeance upon you!”

“Your father!?”

“Harald! Harald Cold-blood, the Viking king!”

“So you are royalty.”

“I am! Now declare yourself!”

Drustina smiled disarmingly for she had to admire the girl’s courage. A mere slip of a girl, perhaps fifteen years and no more, to all appearances; yet standing bravely facing a ring of armed men and a sword wielding woman ... the Lioness of Carthage’ no less.

Drustina decided to reveal herself. It could do no harm but she was curious to see how the girl reacted.

“You ask who I am — then I will tell you; not from submission or homage but because I have no need to fear a mere slip of a girl.
I am Her Majesty, Queen Drustina ap Caderyn ap Erin; Duchess Royal of Portua , Guardian Supreme of the Turdetani , Captain general of the Capetani, Lioness of Carthage, Great Crocodile of the Nile, Consort to The King of Nubia, Defender of Byzantium, the Eastern Empire, Captain of the Order of the Holy Eastern Church, Commander Royal of the House of Polaner, Saviour of the house of Dane-mark, Knight benefactor of the House of Svensk; d’you want me to go on?”

The girl hesitated uncertainly for one title clearly touched a nerve. She repeated it softly.

“Lioness of Carthage you say?”

“Amongst others; yes!”

“They say she is in Dane-mark.”

Drustina turned and pointed her glittering Toledo blade towards The Angry mermaid.

“That’s a ship child! My ship, The Angry Mermaid! Ships move around; as do I.”

“It was your ships that attacked us!”

All this time Drustina had been searching her memory for the girl’s name. The trouble was King Harald had several daughters and also several sons. Finally Drustina worked it out. The oldest two daughters were married and the youngest daughter was but an adolescent.

“You are Gisela, Harald’s middle daughter, his third daughter. What in the gods names where you doing on a Viking raider? A bloody pirate ship no less!”

“It was not a raider! It was a legitimate war fleet; we are the vanguard of the main fleet!”

Drustina almost hugged herself as she learned this vital fact. The girl had not realised she had just given away valuable information. If the squadron Drustina had sent packing was the vanguard of a war fleet, the Saxons and the Franks needed to know about it! Having inadvertently garnished vital information without the Princess Gisela realising it, Drustina quickly changed the subject.

“Are you going to stand there and freeze to death or do you wish to be rescued?”

“You had better not harm me. I am pure!”

“May the gods forbid girl! I’ve no bloody intention of harming you; now get aboard my ship before you catch your death!”
Finally the princess relaxed and started to wade slowly towards Drustina. Heliox stepped forward as if to protect Drustina but she scolded him loud enough for Gisela to hear.

“Get back to the ship with the others you stupid boy. D’you think I cannot defend myself against this maid!”
Thus chastened, Heliox joined the rest of the chuckling shore party. As they turned to go back Drustina corrected herself and spoke to Heliox again.

“Oh! Have a look around first. See what else is to be recovered.”

As the girl emerged shivering either from cold or fear, Drustina noticed she was blue with cold. She whipped off her fleece-lined, sheepskin winter jerkin and held it out.

“Put this on child and I’ll get you drier clothes when we get back to the Mermaid.”

The girl snatched the thick, sheepskin jerkin and quickly put it on. She sighed with relief for the fleece was still warm from Drustina’s body. Once she was covered the girl stared at Drustina’s well-formed female form that was only covered now by a sleeved cotton chemise.

“Are you truly the Lioness of Carthage.? My father’s men have mentioned you and visitors to my father’s hall have spoken of you. They say you are a ferocious warrior and you have killed many, many men.”

“People exaggerate girl. Now let’s get back to the ship or we’ll both freeze to death out here. Give me your knife please; you’ll get it back if and when I am convinced you intend no harm to yourself or any of my men.”

The princess reluctantly handed over her knife and Drustina briskly fleeced her to make sure she carried no other weapons. Assured the girl was now un-armed, Drustina sheathed her own sword.

“Now young lady, to the ship and quickly!”

Once aboard, Drustina led Gisela to the bow cuddy and she dug out some dry clothes of her own. She held them up and instructed the maid to change from the wet gowns she was wearing. The princess Gisela sneered.

“Have you no proper gowns? Surely a queen as famous as you would have some decent apparel”

“Speak softly girl; as yet none of my men know who you are. There are some here who have suffered cruelly from Viking depredations and they would run you through without hesitation, if I were not here to protect you.

Consider this you silly girl! I have no gowns aboard this ship. It is bloody warship child and I am a warrior queen! I dress like warrior because I fight like a warrior. Now d’you want dry clothes or not.”

“Those men are looking.”

“They’ve all seen naked women; don’t be afraid, I’m protecting you now. Those men follow me and obey me out of respect and affection. They won’t attack you whilst I am in command. By the gods girl how d’you think I change in front of the men, how do you think I attend my female functions?”

Gisela swallowed then finally stripped naked as Drustina held up the outer soaking gown to offer the young princess some privacy. When Gisela was naked Drustina discreetly studied the girl’s development.

“How old are you? You can’t be more than fourteen summers.”

“I’m fourteen at the summer solstice.”

“A girl so young, sailing on a war mission. What on earth possessed your father?”

“I wanted to go, it was that or marriage to some revolting jarl.”

“Don’t you want to get married?”

Gisela shuddered.

“I would rather die. I told my father this so he gave me the opportunity to die as a warrior. I nearly did.”

“You nearly died of cold girl. That’s a stupid waste of a young life!”

“That’s your fault. You caused our ships to be wrecked.”

“They were warships girl, my ships are warships; it was a battle. I won!”

“You did not even engage us. That was a cowardly trick.”

“It was a well thought out and cleverly executed trick girl. That is war. Battles may be won by might and main but wars are won by wit and courage ... and compassion.” She added thoughtfully. “So what now princess Gisela? You are my prisoner and I can deal with you as I wish ... sell you even ... and a beauty as rare as yours would fetch a high price.”

The girl’s eyes blazed with fury but she continued in a low voice because she realised that as yet, only the Lioness knew who she was.

“How dare you threaten to sell me, to marry me off to one of your revolting jarls! I am high-born and worthy of a ransom.”

“To me you are nothing but a very pretty fourteen-year-old girl; a valuable prisoner!”

“I will not be sold, I will kill myself first!”

“I have no intention of selling you my girl. You are too valuable to me.”

“In what way?”

“That’s only for me to know but for now you remain my prisoner. I will see you come to no harm.”

Drustina lowered her voice to a whisper for she recognised a Sapphic girl when she met one.

“The men will not come near you, nor will I for I see you follow Sappho.”

Gisela paled as she realised Drustina had sussed her.

“Do not tell others, please, I beg you. Only my father knew. That is why he sent me on this expedition, to die without embarrassing the family, to die bravely as a warrior.”

“Do you want to die like a warrior?”

“No. I want to live, I want to thrive, and I want only to be left alone to find my own love.”

Drustina nodded slowly and a tiny, almost invisible smile turned her lip but Gisela’s sharp eye spotted the smile and the faintest glint of compassionate understanding in Drustina’s cold grey eyes. Gisela could not reconcile the coldness of the Lioness’s eyes with the spark of compassion but her own deep blue eyes widened with surprise ... and hope. She was about to ask further but the shore party was returning and Drustina had to attend to other matters. The Lioness shook the gown urging the girl to finish dressing then she turned to address her men.

“Did you find much?”

Heliox grinned.

“At first we found nothing mi-lady but Hengis told us to dig. The sand had already covered some artefacts but amongst the wreckage and bodies we found some swords and armour already partly buried by the sand. Lots of us now have better weapons and better armour or helmets. Some of the bodies had warm jerkins as well so we stripped them.

Drustina grinned. ‘Dead men’s clothes; hardly the way to equip her warriors but needs must’.

“Good. Just make sure you do not get mistaken for Vikings.”

Heliox’s eyes drifted in lustful speculation towards the blond-haired Viking girl.

“What of our pretty prisoner mistress?”

“Touch her and you die Heliox! Remember I am a woman too!”

For a moment Heliox was about to protest but a single warning glance from Hengis plus a whispered caution immediately silenced the horny youth.

Gisela stared gratefully at Drustina’s scarred back just before Drustina slipped her spare jerkin on and motioned the men to make course back to Arun.

It took two days to beat against the prevailing South-westerly wind but eventually Drustina’s squadron rejoined their sisters and the whole fleet anchored off the mouth of the River Arun.

During Drustina’s absence, Carl had exercised his intelligence and released each squadron of four ships to go alongside for a day to give the men some rest and recreation. The fleet was in good temper when Drustina returned. Then for the final day she took her own six smaller ships into the Arun and her own crews availed themselves of the town’s welcome. Already the news was spreading like wild fire. There was a fleet abroad in the northern seas that could meet the Vikings and defeat them. Saxon England began to look hopefully towards a year of peace and perhaps time to prepare their own credible defences.

On the fifth day, Drustina’s squadron accompanied the two Friesian merchant ships plus Sister Catherine’s pair of newly stocked supply vessels out of the River Arun. They joined with the rest of Drustina’s fleet and set sail for Solanta.

~~ooo000ooo~~

up
85 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A most interesting turn of

events for Drustina and company. Now to see how she handles the new development.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

You continue to amaze me, Beverly

Your knowledge of winds, tides as related to the equinox, the shoreline hazards to ships, and other places of the time are absolutely amazing. You string this all together with courses to east and to west as needed to get to the places that you are referring to. Is there a reference to a map of that area at that time in history? I know you are not making all this up. If there is, let us know please, so that I or we can follow along to better picture this in my mind.

Thanks so much for this adventure.

Much Love,

Valerie R

I was at sea for nearly forty years ...

Hi Valerie,

I was at sea for nearly forty years rising to the rank of Master Mariner and travelling around the world many times. The Mediterranean, the Southern section of the North Sea and the coastal waters all around the UK are literally my 'back yard'. Though I have also travelled and worked extensively all over the planet. To ask a merchant seaman of forty years experience 'Where have you been' is indeed a fatuous question. He (or often she these days) will probably have been to most countries with a coast and that is about 90% of all countries. Compared with a Naval career in the fighting navies, a merchant seaman will probably have visited ten times as many countries and travelled many, many more miles. Possibly as many as ten times as many nautical miles.

After finishing up as captain in command of all types of merchant ships I retired aged 55 and took up a job as a Cargo Surveyor and Average Adjuster assessing and evaluating losses in Marine accidents and casualties where ever ships met with misfortune. This job also took me all over the world on forensic expeditions trying to determine the causes of damage to goods at destinations often hundreds or even thousands of miles inland. Then at aged sixty one, I became briefly a harbour master in South Wales where I worked intimately with coastal pilotage, tidal considerations and port operations. That's where I became immersed in tidal knowledge. I retired eventually at sixty four after fifty years working continuously in the marine industry.

All the places I describe are real locations but I have used fictitious names usually very similar to the current names. Polanda is for example, Poland, Sotana is Southampton, etc.

The British Admiralty nautical Charts or the US Hydrographic Department nautical charts and publications will clearly illustrate the places and sand banks I write about because not much has changed in one thousand years. Just Google 'Admiralty Chart Southern North Sea, and you will get an excellent chart (map) of the current locations. Thanks for your interest, Bevs.

Yes I know, it's hard to reconcile Beverly the crazy mixed up intergendered transvestite with the supreme responsibilities of getting a quarter of a million tonnes of valuable crude oil from the war torn Persian Gulf past the pirate infested Horn of Africa, around the Cape of good hope to Europe or the United States, time and time again over a career spanning forty years.

Who'd have thought the crazy bitch strutting her stuff on the night club floor was also once a ship's captain.

From Beverly's point of view, the forty years that Bevan spent working his butt off at sea, was tantamount to forty years penal servitude with hard labour.

Oh how retirement releases a body. Truly I am growing old disgracefully and with a very nice pension too.

Bevs.

Hugs.

bev_1.jpg

Isn't it nice

Isn't it nice to spend a lifetime acquiring knowledge and then find an opportunity to put this knowledge to use again. It's really making this adventure come alive.

Thank you for the reference to the Admiralty Charts. I just wanted something I could refer to to see where Drustina is and is going. I didn't want to buy the blooming things, not at forty quid each. To cover the whole North Sea adventure would cost a fortune. I'll just have to dig out my college atlas. I don't think 500 year old coast lines with fictitious names changed that much in the last 50 years.

Keep dancing,

Much Love,

Valerie R

I agree

This story is writen with a great depth of knowledge backing it up. The story is wonderful and very well written from the character pov and the depth of nautical savy and period knowledge is stunning.
Could the Liones be a past life of yours, perhaps.

Huggles
Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif