Dress Up Day - Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version

Dress Up Day- Chapter 4.
By
Julie D Cole

Please Alwyn let me rest and sit down over there with you and I’ll tell you who I am.’
…………………………………………………………..

What was I doing? Was I crazy? I just danced with him and somehow I hadn’t showed myself up. I guess some steps were all over the place because I’d tried to take the lead a few times. But he just pushed me back and as the twirls started I was clinging on for my life.

‘Where did you learn to dance Josie you did OK.’

‘I only had lessons in the school hall when we were forced inside due to bad weather. I’m useless really.’ In fact due to absence of girls I’d taken the girls dance role more than the boys and it had been noted by the teacher who singled me out to help the guys with no idea. I guess that was what made me fight this dressing up game since I’d been in danger of being tagged as a Shirley.

‘Well you should come to Latin dance classes with me sometime and dance to some hot music. I need a partner since mine has broken her ankle. Did you ever dance Latin?’

‘No I was just a waltzer and we all had to learn the usual basic rubbish even though we never use it.’

‘It’s a great way to keep in shape. Won’t you come with me next week and I’ll get you enrolled to the advanced beginners class so we can dance together.’

‘Thanks for the offer Alwyn. Do you mind if I let you know later since I’m not sure if I can commit.’

‘Sure I can be patient but I promise you’ll love it because I felt something natural about you when you danced. You picked up on my moves.’

‘His moves meant the gyration of his hips as he was showing off to the girls. I didn’t mind the dancing but he was a bit extrovert and I was trying to hide not expose myself so to speak.’

‘So come on Josie, where you from? I haven’t seen you around.’

‘I haven’t been around much since mom had a bad time and they let me study from home. I class with Amy over there and as you can see she’s likely to chase me soon to dance with Freddie.’

‘Soon fix that. Hang on I’ll be back.’

He dashed across to Amy and Freddie and I saw money changing hands. Wow amy put in in her purse. I thought he was paying Freddie.

‘OK all fixed. You’re mine for the next dance and maybe another later if Amy can fix it.’

‘What do you mean? Did I see you just pay Amy.’

‘Yes I persuaded her to dance with Freddie and he was made up. She’s a good sport. He’s happy, Amys happy. How about you?’

‘Do I have a choice in this? Aren’t I just the prize?’ I tried to turn him off a bit but he just came back stronger. He really was the pushy type and I didn’t have much of a chance since this was like being trapped in a hole with no way out. What else could I do.

The music was lively again and poor Amy had no chance with Freddie Fisher. He didn’t have a clue. Not that I had much chance once Alwyn got back into his stride.

The heels of my boots were starting to creak a bit. Or was that my knees?’ He was determined to show his skills and also with his tight cut trousers he was showing something else. Wow he couldn’t be that big could he? Surely not? Mine was nothing by comparison. I must have been staring because he did an extra gyration. He pulled me close for a few steps and pushed into me holding me behind so I couldn’t draw back. It was him alright since it moved. My God this day was getting worse.

I was out of breath at the end and he was grinning broadly. ‘See we make a great team. You just need to let yourself go and let us connect and you’ll be a star.’

Amy rescued me before he had chance to follow up and he withdrew. Before he left he turned and pressed a card into my hand with his address and mobile number. ‘Call me please if we don’t get chance to dance again tonight and I hope you’ll take me up on my offer.’

Then he was gone. ‘Josie you have clicked. Wow he is a real hunk. He’s all over you so what you doing together. Are you seeing him again?’

‘No. He asked me to join his dance school and learn Latin dancing. He said he lost his partner but I think he was just trying it on. Anyway what about the bribe you took to let him dance with me. What friend are you?’

‘Sorry Josie but he can be persuasive. The ten pounds helped of course.’

‘Ten pounds. Ten Pounds for you to dance with Freddie Fisher?’

‘Well I suppose it was but he insisted we share it so half is for you.’

‘What about the charity fund?’

‘OK we’ll put the pound in and share the rest. Is that OK?’

‘if you say so.’

We took a break which I needed. ‘Amy I think the heel is going to break on my boot if anybosy else swings me about. What can I do?’

‘Can’t you just go barefoot?’

‘Not with these guys and there big feet.. I doubt there are anymore like Alwyn.’

‘Oh you noticed then?’

Lucky mum turned around and hugged us both. ‘Well done you two. Did you here me cheering and whistling?’

‘Mom you weren’t whistling were you?’

‘HaHa no I’m teasing. But I was applauding. Where did you learn to dance you made me proud but also very jealous. You’re father was a natural. You must have his dancing genes.’

‘Right now I’d settle for his dancing jeans.’

We freshened up and I managed to secure the wig. Mom had spoken to Mr Davies and he’d promised to see her later for a dance so she’d made an impression after all.

‘Mom I don’t think these boots will last. The heel is creaking.’

Amy had a bright idea and shot off. She was back before mom had paid for the spritzers she ordered for us. ‘Here try these.’

‘I can’t dance in those they are womens shoes with heels. I’ll break my ankle. Anyway I never danced in heels before.’

‘Ah but have you worn heels before Josie Alexander?’

‘Well I guess I have but….’
dancing shoesjpg.jpg

up
271 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ah things become

Clearer. Well maybe. Short but sweet chapter. Mom and Amy seemed to be friendly and Josie seemed to like the attention.

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

All things come

'The way we are is not the way we used to be.'All things come to she who waits.' I only hope that the short chapter worked and so I promise to follow up since Josie is starting to enjoy him/herself. Not so bad for me too.

Jules

Yep...

Andrea Lena's picture

...the key for me with your stories always turns on how someone like Josie feels about herself, no matter what circumstances may have contributed. Josie is enjouing him/herself, and that's wonderful. Thank you.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Josie liked the attention,

Josie liked the attention, but what will her mother and Amy do if she panics?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Love the Story

I'm new but this is a wonderful introduction to this site. I can't wait to read more. How fabulous.
I don't know where to go next. Any ideas?
JB

Another Jules

Welcome to another Jules.
I'm glad you like the story. It's based around my schooldays but I wasn't so lucky. The photo of Josie is a great likeness to a close friend that I made who would have made a beautiful girl. I am sure that he did but he had to move so no chance to find out.
There are lots of great writers on this site and to get a sample I recommend to visit the competition stories for Valentines Day and Christmas.

Jules

I like the shoes!

Wish I had the legs to go with them.... LOL! Yes Josie does seem to be lightening up and enjoying herself some, but to what end? Joseph still thinks he'll get his pants back, but we all know his Mom and Amy have other ideas. Ok Jules, (waiting patiently tapping foot) is Josie here to stay or does Joseph get his pants back. Inquiring minds want to know. (giggles profusely). More pwease! (Hugs) Taarpa

Delete

joannebarbarella's picture

Double post

Great Legs

joannebarbarella's picture

You're managing to stretch this out....and I'm not complaining!
Joanne