To find oneself: a lost soul.

Printer-friendly version

To find oneself a lost soul.
By Ib12us

This story is copyright by the author. It is protected by licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Note: This story is not set in the BB universe. There will be days that I wish to overwrite and change the story. This is a story of change and so it shall always be.


TO FIND ONESELF

**********************

Walking along the beach, water rushed across the sand smoothing out the writing that had been written by the lonely wayward teen.

Written not in haste, but in desperation the writer had hoped and prayed that someone would see her distress and rescue her from her place of solitude. Only none ever came since she arrived on her little island of paradise. No planes, nor ships appeared in the horizon. Just the gentle breeze of the winds to flow thru the floral and fauna daily.

Dressed in only a two piece, white polka dot swim suit, open toed sandals protected the girls her feet from the small rocks that littered the ground, yet allowed the water to flow freely across her toes as she walked along its sandy shore.

With the setting sun, Mel's auburn hair glistened within the suns fading evening sunlight. The cool breeze blew across her skin, and hair, yet she didn't seem to notice.

Alone, there was no one around to disturb her solace as she scraped a message in the soft sand hoping for a special someone to see.

Looking off in the distance, Mel make out the faint outline of another young teen sitting on a lone sand dune. None had been there before.

Approaching the girl, cautiously, Mel could see the young girls sorrowful expression as the lonely girl seemed to gaze into the waters. Small waves approached the shore only to break apart into gentle laps before their frothy waves reached the shore.

Not wishing to disturb the girls solitude, Mel paused, a respectable distance from her, yet close enough for the lonely girl finally notice her if she decided.

Once seeing the solace girl turned to face her, allowing Mel to see the stream of tears on the young girls face. She had suffered alone for so long needlessly.

Hidden within the shadows of life none noticed her for so long, till her attempt to reached out to late for those to help. By then it was to late for her and she disappeared from life never to be heard from again.

Now recognition crossed her face on who the other figure was standing so far away.

Mel moved slowly towards the girl, frightened by the sudden appearance ready to flee. Slowly and with a delicate practice, Mel raised her arm to point to the message she had written. Neither uttered a word as Mel continued to point towards the message hoping not to frighten the wayward girl away as she approached the other. Both frightened, one of who she saw the other not wanting to lose who she sought for so long.

Standing next to her, Mel knelt down palms down not wishing to frighten or cause harm as they both looked into each others eyes, one pleading, the other transfixed by what the each beheld.

No older than fourteen, Mel's own eyes mirrored the years of pain, hidden from sight that the other girl had endured. Slowly and with trepidation Mel took a seat next to the girl and turned to watch the setting sun in silence next to her.

Seated together the two watched as the fiery red ball of light continued its slow descend just below the unreachable horizon when there came a flash of green, before fading away leading into the night.

Her hand close to, yet never daring to touch, Mel longed to reach out to the lonely girl, wondering if the other would ever do the same.

As if reading Mel's thoughts, her twin, hesitatingly at first, moved towards the offered hand to touch, if only momentarily, before she faded away into nothingness melding into the final remnants of twilight across the vast oceans water.

All alone Mel shifted her legs to her chest, wrapping her arms around them. Resting her chin between her knees, contemplating what had just take place. Slowly a grin formed on her face when she realized a major hurtle had been overcome between both her and her twin. Maybe, just maybe, there was a chance of salvation, for them to come together if not in body at least in spirit.

Overhead in the night sky, stars winked into existence, twinkling downward with moonlight reflecting off the endless ocean of the waters surface.
Still the a gentle breeze blew, lifting loose sand from whence where a pair of girls, one lost, the other desperate to find herself, had been. Endless waves moved gently along the shore, yet there were none to see.

*****************

Memories surface once more, nearly forgotten as the girl reflected on how she arrived in her world of paradise, sitting alone on the sandy shore.

Images surface like bubbles in the water as she recalled how she found herself drifting aimlessly in once murky water, her life nearly drained away from her. She saw how she allowed her life to be pulled away from her as she had sought to swim away from her troubles. How she found herself floundering aimlessly, tossed around in an ocean of guilt of her own makings, her means of escape taken away from her at the last second.

Cast asunder, she expected the worst as the frightened girl sought forgiveness, never expecting any, for who could find her when she no longer there for others to find.

Drifting aimlessly, Melody cried out in anguish in a sea of darkness, alone for none to hear. Unable to see in the vast ocean around her, there was no light to guide her, to give her direction. For there were no rays of light. No stars or moon. Only the pitch blackness of ones soul consumed by despair and hopelessness.

As she floated there in her own making time had no meaning and the feeling of helplessness continued to bear on young girl an just as she thought this was what her sheer existence would always be, a faint light, a beacon in the night, pierced the darkness somewhere off in the distance.

Swimming frantically she reached desperately in what had become rough waters as she prayed the light would not fade away, leaving her along once more in its unbearable darkness.

Fighting against wave after wave Melody continued to reach for the light, her body tossed about as she swam onward alone. Close to its light her body pushed against something solid wall in that fortitude of darkness. Desperately she sought purchase in the wall before her as guilt and shame of from the oceans rough waters continued to beat against her, working to feverishly beat the last virtue of hope from the young girl.

Finding foothold in the darkness, Melody pull herself up, clawing her way out and away from the ocean of guilt. Furious, waves of water crashed against the wall, seeking to reclaim its loss for none were expected to escape a sea of their own making.

Continuing her climb of ascension to reach the pinnacle, Melody reached for any foothold in the darkness, touching and feeling her way upwards to find purchase. Reaching upwards her hand found itself over a ledge and with the strength somewhere deep inside her, she scrambled her way over and away from its edge.

Somewhere off in the distance the beacon of light continued to glow, never moving from its location, yet somehow growing brighter, perceiving the veil of gloom allowing her to bear witness to the waves of turbulent waters beating mercilessly against what would be her small island of sanctuary.

Time was meaningless to Melody and watched where small portions of rock gave way, to tumble violently into the sea below, shattering into smaller and smaller stones, eventually to give way of a beach where none had been before.

Still the waves sought out its captive, only to lessen in intensity, as they too lost their hold to reclaim the youth. And like a storm that had lost its strength with nothing to feed off the ocean became a gently wave rolling across the rocky pebbles, giving her comfort as the pebbles became soft sand in its wake where hard rock had once been before.

Off in the distance the light continued to shine growing in intensity till the light grew bright enough to shine its light on a shore line as if the start of a new morning had broken free.

Alone Melody found a single dune to perch herself to gaze upon her beacon of hope, only to have it give way to another form of darkness, leaving her trembling for fear.

As if in answer to young heart of despair, small points of light took place overhead, to shine brightly in a sky where none had been before. As if like diamonds they twinkled on the surface of the water glistening the waves like jewels in the night.

Later they too disappeared, only to replaced by a bright ball of light to rise in what would become her morning giving the girl warmth she had long since but forgotten.

Mesmerized by the changes taking place Melody could see how the ocean of black slowly turned to a sea of shimmering blue and green. Light reflected over its water when the sun passed overhead sending sparkles of color into the air.

Walking on her watery shore she cautiously tested waves of water, allowing it to lap against her bare feet.

Basking in the warmth of the evening sun, a calmness claimed her when she dipped herself in the warm waters. And as they gentle lapped over her body the once viscous waters soothed her inner torment.

Invigorated by the soothing waters, she returned to her lonesome dune when the sun began its slow decent once more in what would be many for the day.

And as she learned to accept the rising and setting of the sun to the night she rose and slept by the oceans crests till one day she found herself weeping for no apparent reason, other than to know she had found a form of peace.

Strolling around her small island she marveled where flowers bloomed out of the rocks, trees formed inward to give her shade even though the sun never burned or weather never turned too hot or cold.

Outward she sought rescue from her home of paradise, writing messages with the hope of one day, perhaps, to leave her tiny island of solitude. Only deep down she knew none would come for she had never seen a plane or ship come by nor the sound of birds or wildlife.

On what she considered another day Melody sat as always looking out into the eternal sea, to turn her head when a young girl came into her vision off in the distance.

At first she was overjoyed then became frightened, wanting to flee and hide from the girl, yet her intruder simply stood there. Melody focused her attention to where the girl pointed to. A message like hers written in the sands. Tearfully she steeled herself as the girl started to approach, continuing to point at the writing in the sand yet never wavering or taking her eyes away.

As her visitor bent down, Melody looked into the soulful eyes of her own reflection. Seeing the turmoil of a kindred spirit like her who felt the same torment and anguish she did. Her twin seated herself next to Melody, neither saying a word as they both turned to watch the sun finish its fiery decent into the ocean.

When the last of the evening twilight faded, Melody noticed her twins hand placed next to her. Inviting her to reach out to her, Melody slowly moved her fingers to touch who she saw as her herself only stronger. Feeling the girl's warmth and strength, Melody fled with the last of the evening sun for she wasn't ready. Yet a part of her yearned to be with her twin. Hiding from herself, Melody hoped her twin would return when she'd came back in the morning, ready once more to return and bask in its healing waters; to give her strength to face the coming day.

***********

Elsewhere a young girl lay dreaming in her warm bed; Her days had been in turmoil as Mel slept the nights away as she slowly rebuilt her own life with the help of family and friends.

Shedding a tear in her sleep; Mel dreamed deeply of another girl, alone and frightened, carrying a burden she didn't deserve. Both of them hurt from events beyond their control. As Mel shared in the pain Melody endured, Mel found her own inner peace wishing to share it with one more deserving.

Somehow she’d find a way to help the other, just as her friends sought ways to reach the wayward girl, for she knew what the girl really wanted and she'd be waiting, willing to share it with her. If only she would let her.

Murmuring softly, she turned in her sleep; words escaped her lips too low for anyone to hear. Her hand stretched out to no one, she'd be waiting once more, dreaming of walking on a beach, reaching out to a lost soul that should have never been taken away.

****************

Days progress with Melody sitting, legs folded beneath her as she waited in anticipation. The evening sun was setting once again giving off a brilliant hue of colors as it slowly descended below the waters horizon. As always the strange girl who visits had become so regular Melody knew when she would be arriving. Not once had the other tried making physical contact, each letting their hands rest along the dunes sands never touching yet yearning as a finger would twitch or a hand inch closer towards the other, waiting for one of them to take the initiative.

Growing bolder, she no longer fled when the sun set or her twin arrived, till one day while as they sat together, Melody reached out and grasped hold of Mel’s hand. Frightened at first, she allowed their hands to linger, clasping each not wishing to let go til Mel returned the squeeze and Melody could a feel a radiance of strength within those slender fingers. Mel's grasp contained an unerring strength while Melody's pulsated with the fear she felt inside.

Drawing deep it seemed Melody could feel her battered soul yearning to reach out and bask in Mel's aurora just like healing of the water before them. Only the sensation she was experiencing was more, much more. Together they reveled in the glow of the moonlight and stars overhead as the stars glistened on the oceans waters. Not once did she try to flee even when they both released their grasp.

Eventually as the moon caressed its nightly glow through the heavens Mel had to leave, yet Melody knew she would return.

******************

One day Melody sensed the others arrival only to find she couldn't see her. Feeling a touch behind her, she turned to see a sadness in the young girls eyes. Without knowing why both of them understood. For months, or had it now been years, their meetings were the best that either could hope for. Melody would never be able to leave her island. And as each stool looking at the other tears formed on each as they clung to each other, comforting each other somehow knowing that this was the best. Not once since her arrival had either tried to speak off their loss. Not that either had tried it just seemed to be a part of Melody's punishment that the two would never convey the words of how each one felt.

Looking once more into Mel's eyes, it seemed as if Melody had touched a prat of Mel's life, to become a part of what had transpired. She could see those images of what Mel had lived and enjoyed through her awakening. Now the two seemed able to share a part of Mel's life, to live that part of what her twin had done that day. Astonished by the experience, both girls found comfort in allowing Melody to live outside her confinement, to have an know that her existence could have meaning as she seemed to live if only fleetingly through Mel. For each it was enough.

Years passed as both girls always meet on the beach, never missing a day and each day Mel would share what she had done. Each longed still for the freedom of the other, yet were content with what they shared as they grew.

Laughing together they both shared a bond that grew between the two with who Melody considered to be her sister.

Each became content knowing that one life continued; Melody even in her prison felt she had a purpose once more, even if hers ended so long ago.

And just like her inside, and her sister, the little island continued to grow around them. No longer was the island desolated; trees, flowers and grass flourished on her small world of paradise.

And each day Mel shared the joy of her life. Her pain and sorrow along with the joys of giving birth. The anguish of what one felt with the loss of a loved on who passed away, be it their mother or husband.

She witnessed and relished in the strength of her sister as she watched the growth of who she came to consider her children and the pain of having them leave, to move on with their own lives.

**********

Each day Melody waited in anticipation for the others arrival and each day she wasn't disappointed as each enjoyed the others company. Even though she would never leave her prison, her life was filled with joy knowing her sister lived for the both of them.

As they reached their golden years, her world started to slowly wither away for none could live forever. Trees slowly faded away and died as did the flowers and grass, for age had begun to take its toll on Mel.

The days seemed to grow shorter when Mel arrived, the darkness arriving earlier then before over time. As Melody looked around her little island she too took notice of the other changes. For the sun shone less bright its warmth diminishing with each passing day. The waters felt cooler and cooler also.

Then one day as she waited for her sister, Melody's world seemed to fade away once more into the darkness. No longer did the sun shine, nor did the stars glisten above in the darkness. Gone were the waters that lapped along the shore for there was no shore for the water to come to and it chilled her to the bone. All the warmth her sister had embodied in her little place of solitude had faded away. Gone as Melody knew her sister was gone, never to return for even death could never be stopped.

Alone again, Melody felt the fear build up inside her for she had never experienced non existence before. She was truly alone now. With her sisters passing her world had once more returned to what it once was. Cold and unforgiving.

Her fear overtook her in the surrounding darkness and Melody wept knowing she would never leave her desolated prison and she cried tears of anguish once for the loss of her sister. For her pain was nothing compared to the loss of her sister and the sounds of her sorrow filled her world, to echo all around her.

In her hopelessness Melody never realized how much she depended on those visits by her twin. None now till the day she was gone, never to return. Hopelessness foreshadowed her now for she was truly alone as the darkness crept around her, through her, taking hold of what was left of her. To embrace her in a never ending wallow of self-pity. To never experience the touch of one another so close as her. And a part of her began to wither inside and die with who she considered her sister for they were not separate but one.

Weeping in the darkness, her emotions took hold as she imagined the her name echoed in the forever darkness. Ignoring the sounds the voice became louder, more insistent as time seemed to carry no meaning in her everlasting pit of doom.

With insistence the voice carried through the night, beckoned to her, when a light breached forth through the darkness, dim at first as if trying to find its way through a cavern, shining its light around, searching.

Brighter it became as it neared her till finally it found its prey causing her to shield her eyes from it intensity. Vaguely as her vision adjusted she imaged she saw a lining within take form. A shadow as it moved forward towards the end of the light to become that of a young woman stepping forth, to stand before her yet far away it seem.

And for the first time in what she could remember a voice echoed for past the gloom. A voice that carried an urgency of her own from years gone by. A quickening of who's voice begging her with outreached arms. Beseeching her "Hurry Melody, it won't last long." And as her hand waved towards her, Melody stood there frightened.

Yelling to the old woman, " Hurry, there isn't much time." Her voice resonated with and urgency. "I don't want to leave you here."

Then as bright as the light had been it started to fade around the young girl, her voice quickly changing, pleading as the light began to fade, "Please Melody, I have to go, I don't belong her and neither do you." Her arm stretched out before her, beseeching her sister.

Gathering her courage Melody moved forward, slowly at first as her desire to leave gathered strength within as she watched the light grew dimmer, allowing the shadows to reclaim what was once theirs.

"Hurry, I can't hold on much longer." And in a test of wills she moved towards the outstretched hand, to find her own reaching forward. Then with each step Melody felt stronger as if the years of age were being shed away, her strength growing, renewed with each step as she drew closer, inch by inch, step by step, towards who she new was the only one who had never given up on her, never left her along in the darkness even when she had given up on herself.

With a spring and vigor she hadn't felt in ages, Melody's fingers managed at first, to touch, then intertwine within the slender fingers of her outstretched hand, reaching forth to clasp hold, never wanting to let go.

Staining against and unseen force when the two clasped hands the other took hold of Melody's arm with her free hand, pulling her inward towards each other, reeling her in like a fish fighting on a string wanting to go back to the depths of the sea, only to be snared within a net and pulled inward, never to let go of its catch as the light closed behind her. Each wrapped their arms around the other and held steadfast when the cold and bitter blackness of eternal night extinguished the last of any hope once Melody stepped inside. To seal itself from the other, never allowing it to return for death was eternal.

Hugging the girl the other asked as if in doubt, "Did you really think I would ever leave you?"

Replying truthfully, moisture gathered around her eyes for Melody admitted, "I'm afraid I had given up hope. Afraid I'd be lost in there forever."

As the two wept Mel replied, "Never would I leave you alone, Sis. For without you how was I suppose to live? How would I have survived without you. I had wandered aimlessly lost. Lost till I found you."

Moving back from whence she came new images took form around them. Trees seemed to appear out of nothing. Hills with wild flowers along gently sloped hills filled the landscape. And unlike her place of quiet solitude, birds appeared overhead followed by the sounds of their chirping. More sounds soon followed. A running brook with its water burbling over the rocks as the stream made its way through the hills. The sound of rustling leaves when a gentle breeze passed through the trees. A breeze that warmed a chilled heart that had been engulfed by misery and pain.

Quietly the two traveled together neither speaking as Melody basked in the sights and sounds that had been denied her for so long.

Arriving at the top of a hill the Mel paused suddenly as the other continued on momentarily in front of the other. Confused Melody turned around.

"Melody, I can't go any further. Not yet anyway."

Worried the girl's face carried a questioning look. "Why?"

Bridging the gap Mel hugged her sister, "Because, Sis, for at the bottom of this hill there are others waiting for for you. People who had longed to meet you patiently once more. It's been a long time for them Sis."

With a slight shove Mel gently pushed her sister forward. To continue alone on the path before her. Nervously at first Melody moved forward as Mel stood by, waiving her along. "I'll be along soon. I promise." This was her time, her moment, for all those years of being along.

Passing around a bend that had covered her view, Melody spied several people waiting below. Memories came back of those she loved when recognition took hold. Shamed, she wanted to hide, to flee, as guilt took hold once more as she remembered what had led her to being trapped in that place of darkness. Turning to run Melody found her sister standing none to far behind, barring her way of retreat. "Their waiting Melody. Go to them."

Apprehensively she approached the waiting trio. A young woman along with two men standing beside her, waiting expectantly.

Forced to continue, regret took hold, causing her to stumble. Without a word the young woman ran towards the fallen girl a worried look upon her face. Embracing the young girl as the woman lifted her up, she beheld the look of her mother. A mother she was sure who would never forgive her for what she had done only to have her take hold of her daughter of whom she though she had forever lost. "It's been so long, baby. She said she'd find you. To free you from your prison and bring you back. Never giving up."

Tears flowing unabridged between the two as they walked back to meet the rest. Before them a father and brother waited nearby, nearly forgotten. She had been sure she had lost them forever due to fear and misunderstandings, a mistake she had made years before.

Gazing back to the top of the hill from which she came Mel kept her distance from them, for she would join them soon, to be a part of her family once more. For now though it was her lost sisters moment to reunite with her family. Slowly a tear careened down her cheek, to watch as they embraced once more, for she had made a promise so long ago. A promise to find to find the girl who she had once been for when fate intervened between the two.

She sought for a chance to seek and find herself back then. To find a girl who made a grievous mistake in her life unwittingly. To somehow find and bring her home someday. For Mel knew that none should have been force to carry an unnecessary burden like Melody had. Mel had carried her own regrets once in another life like her sister and understood.

Now thanks to how fate and magic had conspired to given her another chance to live she made use of it. And through her dreams so to had her sister. To allow a sister to share her life with and grow.

Now both were released from their inner torment. Released and forgiven for what neither could have control and one almost been denied.

Life.

up
112 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Curious, why write this now?

gpoetx's picture

Curious, why write this now? Any particular reason? Seems like a period on Mel's life before it all got started. Gary

Not set in bb

I wrote this awhile back. This is an interpitation of something. Don't confuse this with 'the runaway'.

I should have stated that I'll fix later.

Are

the two more than sisters?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Ethereal and compelling.

Ethereal and compelling.

Ban nothing. Question everything.