Jihad 2.6

Printer-friendly version

Jihad
2.6 Zahran
by Red MacDonald
Copyright © 2013 Red MacDonald
All Rights Reserved.

The Faithful, North African and Middle Eastern Islamic nations, are plotting to seize the oil resources of the Middle East. By controlling the earth's oil and its major trade routes, they plan to bring the world to its knees. Then, when the entire world is kneeling, the Faithful of Allah will read to them from the Koran, preaching the message of Islam, the True Faith. The Faithful will stop at nothing to achieve their goal. But how far will they go? And how many lives will it cost?

Persian Gulf-5x75.jpg

2 Early Moves

2.6 Zahran

* * * * *

2.6.1 Mother and Daughter

Safina stroked a brush through Rahil’s hair. They had spent the most delightful afternoon together. They had tried on Rahil’s elder sisters’ clothes. Some were beautiful, but most were well used and out of fashion. Some of the shoes fit, especially a lovely pair of 3-inch, gold and cream pumps. They had just begun to work on her new daughter’s makeup, when Safina took a deep breathe.

“I still don’t understand, Rashid. How can you do this?

“The life of a woman is far different from that of a man. Men have all the rights and privileges, while women are little more than servants. The Prophet teaches us that both men and women have separate and equal roles in life, but the reality is far different.

“I can not leave the house, unless you or your father is with me. I can not drive a car, or travel in a train, or fly in an airplane, unless I am with your father, one of your brothers or uncles. I can not own property, have money of my own, have any possessions other than my personal belongings. Everything which I call mine is held by your father in trust for me. I have no access to it, unless he provides it.

“I can not vote. I cannot hold any office or have any responsibility beyond that which your father delegates to me. I have no say in any aspect of my life.

“And, you are willingly surrendering all your rights as a man? Why, Rashid? Why?”

Rahil recoiled at the name, but answered sweetly, “Mother, dearest mother, Allah has spoken to me. He has told me throughout my life that I was not a man, but a woman instead. Yet, I had to honor you and father at the same time. You both expected me to act as a man, to become a man, and to take on the responsibility of manhood. And so, I persevered. I tried in every way to become the man you both needed me to be. But, it was not to be.

“Everyone saw the obvious. I am not manly. I am short, thin, and, it is my hope, graceful. I am not noisy, oafish, or boastful, but meek and mild towards everyone. If I cannot honor you and father and our family in one way, then I tried to honor us in the only ways I could.

“Yet, it was not enough. The imam was distraught whenever he saw me, especially at prayer. He often came to our shop, buying nothing, while watching me go about my work. His eyes were always heavy upon me. At times, I felt that he had some greater purpose ... some hidden need to watch me. Yet, he never approached me or father, nor did he buy anything from us.

“Then, the police came. They too said nothing. They just stood outside, watching, as though a burglar were to suddenly appear from beneath the lentils.

“And, other men stood across the street, gawking at me through the front windows. And, when I pushed the carts of fruits and vegetables in front of the store, man would gather, leering at me. I could hear them mutter, but they were too far away for me to hear them clearly.

“Even the women acted strangely around me. They talked with me as we are talking now. Their husbands or other men would bring them to our shop, and then adjourn to the company of the other men across the street while the woman shopped for her family’s food. I would talk with them, and they with me. Yet, when father approached, they stepped back, and the men across the street were suddenly alert, as if our laws would be broken. And so, it was I who helped the women and children find the things they were seeking. And, it was I who kept aside special foods for them, much to their delight.

“And, I was pleased to be treated so. I was honored that the women came to me. And, I was honored with their trust. They told me many things they would never have confided in a man. Thus it is that I know which of the men is kind and loving, and which among them are ogres or monsters. I know which of them treat their wives and children with love and kindness, and which with anger and violence. And, because I know these things, I provide that which I can to help my friends improve their lives, their families and their homes.

“So, when Uncle Ma’Sum demanded that I dress and act as a woman, it was a relief to me. I was joyous that I could finally be who I am. And now that I am hidden in a burka, the men no longer gather across the street. They no longer gawk at me or mutter beneath their breaths. The police have stopped lurking, and the imam no longer loiters in our shop, making our customers nervous while never purchasing our foods.

“And, know this, dearest mother. The future will be different for all women. I will make it so. Allah has told me that, through me, women will be raised to take our legitimate place. I don’t know how I will do this, but Allah has spoken to me. So shall it be.”

“Child!” Safina cried out. “What are you saying? Were you to tell anyone else about this, you would be stoned! Never speak this again!”

“No, mother dearest, I will not say this to anyone else. This shall remain between us. And, I have the feeling that this will not happen in your lifetime, so you need not fear it. Yet, it will happen. And, when it does, I need to be prepared for it.

“So, mother dear, please teach me more. I need to know how Western women wrap their hair, and use makeup, and dress, and walk, and act. I know that you know of these things. You and father used to have many friends with whom you meet. Often the women who came here wore the most wonderful clothes, and makeup and jewelry under their burkas. They would throw them off when the door was closed, and everyone would exclaim how wonderful, how beautiful, or how delightful the women appeared. And there was much joy and merry making among you all.

“You do not do this much any more. Your circle of friends is smaller than it once was. And, you are now older, and I have found that it is the younger adults who party and cavort and show themselves to others. Yet, you know of these things, and it is these things which you must teach to me, as you did with my sisters.”

“What? How did you? When did...?” Sefina sputtered.

“Oh, mother!” Rahil giggled. “Did you really think I was asleep? Did you not think I could be aroused from my bed to sit silently at the head of the stairs, watching you and your friends laughing and singing and dancing? You can’t imagine how I felt, watching you and the other women looking so beautiful and happy. I just wanted to join you, but knew that at my young age, I would not be accepted. And so, I hid, quietly, watching and learning ... and yearning for the day I would be able to laugh and sing and dance, like you.”

Sefina reached for her daughter and hugged her tightly. “Rahil, I do not know what the future will bring. I do not know if Allah has spoken to you. I know that you are truly my daughter, whom I love and cherish. I will teach you the ways of a young woman so that you can sing and dance and laugh. And, should you change the world, as you are convinced you will, then I will have given you a dowry of education worth more than a chest filled with gold.

“Come, Rahil, my daughter, and let me show you my secrets.”

Hand in hand, mother and daughter climbed to the attic, where a treasure trove lay hidden in dusty trunks.

* * * * *

2.6.2 War Warning

“Ahmed, you must prepare to move all my goods out of the city at a moment’s notice!”

Ahmed had never seen his uncle in this state before. “Uncle, why should I do this? What is happening, and what of my family?”

“Dalair, my eldest, has been recalled into the King’s service. The entire reserve force has been recalled. They intend to defend the kingdom, the fools.

“This is some ploy to gain world sympathy, and appease the Americans and the Infidels. Why should we battle with the Persians or the Assyrians? We have always lived with them in peace, sharing the prosperity Allah has heaped upon us in His blessing. Why should the People of the Prophet war against the People of the Prophet? It is profane, and Allah will not permit it.

“Yet, it is happening. So, I tell you that your must prepare to leave. You must pack all the foods, protect them against looters, and begin to move everything to Qatar. If necessary, I will sell it all there, before it is looted or seized.”

“But, Uncle, what of us? What of Sefina, Rahil and me? What of our home, our city, our King? Shall we abandon all we have known and loved all our lives? And, why Qatar? We could just as easily travel to Riyadh and then to Jeddah, where Sefina has family.”

“There is no time, Ahmed. The King will kill my sons in this abominable war. There will be nothing left for my grand children if I do not save what I can. Now, do not argue with me, Ahmed. Purchase that which you can, and prepare to move it all southward into Qatar within the week. If you can not, my son Ikbal will do it for me. Do you understand, Ahmed?”

“Yes, Uncle, it will be done.”

Ma’sum swept from the shop, almost imperially, in a billowing cloud of linen and dust into the street and to his Mercedes. He leapt into the rear seat. As he settled into its air-conditioned luxury, the driver blew the horn as he spun the tires, adding to the dust in the air.

Ahmed looked around the shop. Half of it was shelf upon shelf of cans, bags, parcels, tubs, barrels and vats of different foods. Upon the main floor in open bins were fruits and vegetables ready for purchase. Beyond, in the street were the rolling carts of fruits, vegetables and other comestibles, which was the province of Rahil. Beyond the wall was the other half of the shop. It too was divided and secured. In one part were meats; in the other were cheeses and other dairy products. Each was sealed from the other, and entry was only possible through separate entrances from two different streets. By maintaining a careful division, Ahmed could offer his patrons one-stop shopping, and still maintain the strict food laws of his religion.

However, his strictness in maintaining the food laws now worked to his disadvantage. How could he possibly move all these different foods without mixing them in some way? Should meat touch cheese, both would have to be discarded. Although canned goods were immune from these strictures, the open vats, tubs and barrels would have to be resealed. He would need a cooper, if this were the case, as well as other skilled persons. And, that would involve the Imams, who would supervise the loading and packing of each item individually to ensure they were not contaminated. It was a nightmare even to consider. Worse, it would destroy the business he had spent the last forty years of his life building.

‘How could he do it?’ he asked himself.

‘Should you even try?’ a tiny voice whispered in his ear.

up
79 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Rahil's Out Of There

"It is profane, and Allah will not permit it."

Ahmed's uncle may have forgotten the Iran-Iraq war, or the fact that a Muslim is far more likely to be murdered by one of his co-religionists than by an unbeliever. Those Sunnis and Shiites don't exactly flock to the debating chambers when it comes to airing their differences.

I think Rahil has sensed that this is her opportunity. She isn't going to stand for wearing a burka. She's out of there.

Ban nothing. Question everything.

Yahoo

There was a decent article recently on Yahoo which explained the difference between the Sunni and Shia. It also went into some detail about the political rivalries between the two and the history. Not surprising when religion is involved it can become violent. Strangely at times they can live peacefully next to each other and at others, not so much.

We see here a bit of Rahil's parents secret life. They're more progressive than they appear. The Uncle however seem very typical using his relatives and supportive of them. Talk about an impossible task! He appears to forcing his son, whom everyone knows is useless, upon them no matter what.

Can he buy out his share from 'Uncle?' Even if he does there is the question of the war and what it will do to this border town.

Hugs
Grover

Yes, there are some

Yes, there are some differences between Sunni and Shia. I myself am a Sunni Muslim, though I also subscribe to Sufi teachings as well. One way some people might understand a basic view of the differences between the sects is that Shia are like Catholics, they have a set hierarchy, whereas Sunni are more like most Protestants in that they are more individualistic. Yes, that's an oversimplification, but it is true.

The only point I'd make is that while the restrictions in Saudi Arabia shown in the story are true for today, there has been a more progressive vibe coming from the King and several members of the royal family regarding women. For instance, women can vote and now will be permitted to hold office (for the first time, there will be female membership on the Royal Council in Saudi Arabia). And there is a growing call for more and more modernization in Saudi Arabia, particularly from the younger females, while many of the older ones cling to the old traditions.

But it is not too bad so far. I don't particularly like the Uncle, but that is how some Saudis are I know.

Samirah M. Johnstone

More Modernization. I Can't Wait!

I'm sure you're right. Any time within the next couple of hundred years I'm sure the country will be dragged kicking and screaming from the 14th century into the 15th.

This kind of comment makes me want to tear my hair out.

Not too bad? NOT TOO BAD?

They won't even let women drive cars! What the fuck is 'not too bad' about that?

"The Saudi Prince Abdullah, for instance - a man who has by no means distinguished himself as a liberal - recently proposed that women should be permitted to drive automobiles in his country. As it turns out, his greatly oppressed people would not stand for this degree of spiritual oppression, and the prince was forced to back down. At this point in their history, give most Muslims the freedom to vote, and they will freely vote to tear out their political freedoms by the root. We should not for a moment lose sight of the possibility that they would curtail our freedoms as well, if only they had the power to do so."

Sam Harris, The End Of Faith, page 132 (emphasis mine)

And by all that I hold dear, does it need emphasising.

Ban nothing. Question everything.

I didn't say that Saudi

I didn't say that Saudi Arabia is great by any means. They follow a sect of Islam which is considered to be ultra conservative. But I can't help feeling you are attacking all Muslims for the problems of what is statistically a few. No, Muslims aren't perfect, just as no other religious group is perfect. But I meet with and talk to an openly gay imam quite regularly who performs same-sex marriages within Islam. I'm sorry, but respectfully, I view your comment as more of an attack against a whole group rather than individuals that need to be called to account, especially because I don't want to take away any freedoms and 99.9% of the Muslims I know and talk to (from around the world) don't either.

This story is one that at times can be hard to reconcile. I am more along the lines of the Moroccan PM in the earlier chapter than I am with the uncle in this one. I am not trying to flame you or anything of the kind, I am just trying to respectfully say I disagree with you. And that's all.

Samirah M. Johnstone

Oh and the not too bad was in

Oh and the not too bad was in regards to the story itself, just so you know.

Samirah M. Johnstone

Okay, but I hope you

Okay, but I hope you understand why it didn't come across like that.

And I wasn't having a go at ordinary Muslims - though I'd find that all too easy given their simple-minded adherence to a belief system that's as dangerous as it is deluded.

Ban nothing. Question everything.

A Rip-Roaring Discussion

What a great discussion between VioletFrye and Nicki Benson! I am please that my little literary effort has brought it about.

As you have observed, and will see even more as this story unfolds, many of the characters ar Moslems. And, as in any other large groups of humans, there is always "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly."

I hope that my character portrayals are realistic and representative of different people, in different circumstances, acting appropriately for their time, their position, and their psychological makeup. Oh, and by the way, some of them are Moslems. Some of them are military persons. Some are civilians. Some are weak, and some are powerful. Regardless of who and what they are. the exigencies of this time and place have caught them up. Being who they are, they will follow through to their fate, whatever that is.

And, I am so happy that I have been able to bring you together in discussion. That's one of the great assets of this site. We can talk, discuss and debate at length.

Please, enjoy my little story. I thank you both for your comments and for your spirited discussion.

Red MacDonald