A personal history of Mutation, or How I spent my teen years. chapter 6.

Printer-friendly version

I'm still here! Just hit a snag or two with real life. So, once again, usual disclaimers apply, and in this episode, we answer those burning car questions no one cares about.

I awoke slowly to softly playing music, some sort of pop in another language; and the smell of fresh coffee. I could feel my feet propped up on something soft and being massaged. turning my head a bit, I saw I was in my room, with coffee and coffee cakes on a tray next to my bed. Jeeves was lightly rubbing my feet. having propped them on his lap with a pillow.

"Good evening mistress Min. How are you feeling?"

"Fine, a bit tired. Passed out again, did I? I was hoping I was past that part."

"Unfortunately your fatigue and lost consciousness are the result of your rather severe anemia, A condition that can only be alleviated through medication. I have of course prepared the fist dose, it lies next to the coffee."

"And the massage?"

"Is it satisfactory? One of ways to decrease time spent unconscious for the human body is to stimulate the blood flow in the extremities, most often the feet."

"It feels very nice. I suppose you'll be angry if I say I dont want meds?"

"Absolutely furious, mistress Min. Besides, if you do not, how can we get the work done?"

"Crap, you're right, we need to build the printer!"

I sat up slowly, having learned my lesson, and grabbed the 4 pills hidden by the coffee cup in my earlier inspection. Putting them all in my mouth, I quickly downed the entire mug to wash them down, picking up a cake to chew on.

"What time is it?"

"It is 11:04 pm, roughly. Your family members are asleep, and we should endeavor not to wake them."

"Agreed. I assume this is part of a fresh pot?" I asked, holding up the mug

"It is, of course. The rest is in a caraffe in the kitchen, waiting for your use."

"Excellent. I should check my computer, the printer plans are on it."

I finally moved, swinging my legs away from Jeeves's tender ministrations and to the floor, crossing the room and allowing my lovely computer to scan my face. It opened and right there, still open, were the plans I needed. Unfortunately, they weren't entirely finished.

"Jeeves, can you work on the spigot and server apparatus? The schematic for those are done. I'll finish the mixing bin while you're doing that."

"Could you please oversee the operation mistress Min? I am fairly confident I can follow the plans, but I'd feel better if you were near."

I blinked, pulled out of my reverie by his plaintive tone.

"Oh, of course, I'll just bring the laptop with me. Could you bring the mug and cakes? those things are delicious."

"Of course, and thank you for the compliment mistress Min."

"Oh, you baked these?" I asked as I headed downstairs, laptop in hand and cord draped over my shoulders...I didn't want to be bothered packing it.

"Of course."

"I thought the pumpkin tasted fresh. Not quite the taste to go with coffee though I think?"

"I agree, but I have to work with what is available; strawberries are out of season."

I made it into the garage without any clumsy falls (thank goodness!) and set up at the workbench. Jeeves materialized beside me, filled coffee mug and cakes in hand. once he set those down, he took his coat off and grabbed my tools. We both got to work.

"Honey? You in here?"

I looked up, suddenly aware of my surroundings again; Jeeves was beside me, ratcheting a pesky bolt in the spigot frame apparatus. The schematics were complete, and I had an alternator in my hand which I was modifying. Mother was at the doorway, in her robe, watching with concern stamped on her face.

"I'm here, just woke up and decided to work on the machine I need to fix father's car. There any coffee left?"

"Yes, half a pot, I snagged some already. So what is this supposed to be?

"A three dimensional printer. Some scientists made a printer that can make 3 dimensional objects out of a special paper. I decided the concept could be used for much more than just inanimate objects, and much more than paper. So the idea is to make this, and have it print an engine, then just bolt the engine in."

"And it will make moving parts?"

"Well that is the theory involved. At worst I can simply print all the individual parts at once, then put the engine together, but that will take much more time. Provided it works, we could be able to save money on all kinds of things too, and just make out own."

"Oh I've no doubt it'll work, Have confidence. After all, it's built on a solid technological foundation, right?"

"Of course!"

"Why don't you put the tools down and have breakfast? Take a break?"

"Well, we are ahead of schedule...Jeeves let's take a break."

"Of course mistress Min. I'll make the breakfast mrs. Campbell, no need to trouble yourself."

"Alright Jeeves. What do you intend to make?"

"Eggs benidict, perhaps with some summer sausage on the side."

"Not sure we even have all the ingrediants for that."

"You do, I have a complete inventory of all kitchen supplies."

"All? Even the cookware?"

"Yes, of course. Proper tools make superior products."

"Coffee coffee coffee coffee...."

Straight to the coffee maker, ignoring the small talk.

"Mistress Min, please stop."

I turned to Jeeves.

"Why?"

"You should cease coffee consumption now, in order to better sleep. Please, help yourself to the apple cider I left for you in the refridgerator. I insist."

Grumbling, I headed towards the fridge instead. "you know, I really should open you up and fix you. You aren't the boss."

"I am not; however I worry about your health, and you have already spent all night working on your printer. And as you stated, we are ahead of schedule."

"Sigh, good point. But I don't feel tired at all."

"Then allow me to make a deal with you. drink one glass of the cider, then drink a mug of coffee; alternate between the two for me, please? The coffee is a well known diuretic, and you will need your fluids."

"Another good point; alright. Cider it is, this time. The plans are done at any rate; think you can handle the grunt work now?"

"I can finish the frame and spigot construction; however I think you will have to complete the mixing tank."

"Good morning Minerva, Jeeves, Mary."

"Good morning father. Coffee is fresh and breakfast is on the way."

"Nice; how are you all this morning?"

"Pretty good, I have the machine needed to fix your car on the workbench as we speak. The cuda should be ready to drive by monday, and Jeeves is making a breakfast I've never had before."

"Great. I was thinking, that since it's saturday, and I don't have to work, I'd show you how the basics of how to play that guitar."

"That would be wonderful father! Can we practice in the garage? It looks like it's going to be a wonderful day; We can leave the garage door open and enjoy it."

"Sure Min, sounds fine with me. Breakfast first though, calm down."

I stopped; I had been on the way upstairs to get the guitar.

"no need to look guilty Min, just first things first. Besides you still need to wash up and change clothes. that dress still looks great, but I assure you it needs washed."

Oh, crap; I didn't even notice I hadn't changed clothes. This dress was perhaps a bit too comfortable. I sat back down.

"Whoops. Oh well, like dad said, breakfast first. Speaking of, how long till breakfast?"

"An estimated 20 minutes for yours, mistress Min."

"Holy crap that is forever. Well I can always work a bit, if no one minds a computer at the table?"

"I don't really if you don't mind my nose in a paper; Mary?"

"I guess it's alright, after all, you are working on something for the family."

"Heh, right."

I wasn't about to tell her that what I was going to work on was the phone internet access protocol. What she didn't know wouldn't hurt her, right?

So I worked on my project, father worked on reading his paper, and mother worked on some needlepoint, until a biscuit looking thing with a weird sauce on it
was brought past my nose.

"Is that it? looks kind of like an egg mcmuffin to me, with a weird mayonaise on it."

"That is not too far from the truth, honey. Alright, computer off the table. You can set it on the counter there, it'll be safe."

I moved the laptop. Then looked around again.

"So how soon till the rest are done? I only see mine."

"The others' breakfasts are currently in the oven, an estimated time of 2 minutes between them all. I could not make them all concurrently."

"Ahh, I understand. I'm the lab rat then. Oh well, here goes..."

I took a small bite...and it tasted amazing. Very different than what I was used to, but an explosion of wonderful tastes nonetheless.

"You do amazing work Jeeves. I simply must look into where you got your chef training."

"The answer to all life's questions mistress Min; the internet."

"Ha! good one."

"Morning everyone!"

We all chorused a good morning to Ian, our resident saturday latecomer.

"...so that is what's for breakfast? Looks nasty."

"It's wonderful, just wait till you get yours."

I suited action to words, scarfing the treat down, much to mothers' unspoken but still palpable disapproval. She was eating hers at a more sedate pace. Father's had just arrived in front of him, and he was staring at it as skeptically as I had mine.

"So what do you plan to do today Ian?"

"Thought I'd go out. Feeling the urge to get some sun."

He caught my incredulous look.

"What? I do go out. Just not that often."

"Might go out later myself, been going a bit stir crazy myself, and yesterday doesn't really count in my opinion."

"If you do, make sure to take your phone."

"I will, Jeeves has it. Pretty sure he won't let me go anywhere alone in any event. At any rate, I'm done; may I be excused early? I'd like to change now."

"Sure, go clean up before you start stinking."

A reprieve! At least I wouldnt have to sit around doing nothing, or dishes.

"I'll meet you upstairs as soon as I finish breakfast mistress Min."

Oh, right...we had Jeeves for that now. Humming my way upstairs, I picked some clothes out of my closet; a pair of jeans that mother called 'low riders', some of the underwear we picked out, a set of basic black, and a grey tee shirt. Once in the bathroom I shut threw the clothes on the sink counter and shut the door. Then I realized I still had to unbutton this stupid dress.

"JEEVES! Get up here please."

I took him less than 20 seconds to knock on open the door.

"What is the matter, mistress Min?"

"I need help out of this stupid dress, of course."

"Ah. My apologies mistress Min."

"Yes, I tried to get them, but there is no give in the fabric."

He quickly unbuttoned me and took the ribbon from my hair.

"Will there be anything else mistress Min?"

"No, thank you. Sorry to have dragged you away from downstairs. I trust you didn't burn anything?"

"No mistress Min, I was just about to start dishes. I shall leave you now. Do not hesitate to call again should it be needful."

"...Alright."

He left and I locked the door, peeling the offending garment off and throwing it in the hamper.

A long liesurely shower later I was feeling a bit less disgusted with the entire situation. I left my hair loose and a bit damp, simply dressing. the jeans seemed to fit like another skin, and even with the tee shirt they left a little mid riff bare, but mother said that was the style, and I'd seen it around in school myself. Plus it was casual and would hold up to my engine work, should I choose to do more today. To complete the ensemble, I added the lab coat, as we had forgotten to buy a coat yesterday and while the fall weather was pleasant, it was also a bit chilly.

Glasses in hand, I hit the kitchen doorway looking for coffee. It was waiting for me, as was Jeeves, brush in hand. I quirked an eyebrow...he was too good at reading me. There had to be a trick to it. Mother had her needlepoint again, and father was finishing his paper, so I took that as my cue, retrieving my laptop and lettng it scan me (it had locked in sleep mode after 5 minutes) then putting my glasses on and sitting down. Jeeves started brushing my hair.

"Wow, sis. That scan thing was cool. So what are you working on?"

"the three dimensional printer, And a new internet protocol for cell phones, so I can access my laptop from mine and use it's processor and memory to work on things while away from it."

"Um...it's a laptop. Why not just carry it around?"

"some places I can't carry a laptop, whereas a phone would be acceptable."

I meant school of course, though the parents didn't need to know that. Pretty sure Ian figured it out.

"Just remember to keep it on vibrate honey, most place that frown on laptops also frown on loud rings."

I think mother knows...but doesn't care? How very odd.

"Sure thing. Now, father, teach me teach me teach me teach me teach me teach me."

"OK Min, sheesh. Go get your guitar and meet me in the garage."

"Be right there. Jeeves when you're done with the dishes, could you carry my laptop upstairs please?"

"Of course mistress Min."

I'm pretty sure I set a sprint record getting up to my room, then back to the garage...wonder I didn't run into anyone. But finally, I would be able to play an instrument! I was so pumped.

"Alright, here are the strings, top to bottom is E A D G B E....plucking thme with your pick there, with the other hand on the frets in concert, makes chords. You ideally want to chain the chords in such a way as to make people not want to flee screaming from you. In order to do that, you'll need to be able to read the music, or be able to play it by ear. So here is the music score for what I'm about to play. read it, and see if you can match the notes to what I'm playing."

"Alright. Go ahead."

the door was open, music flowed freely, and all was right with the world for several hours.

Mid afternoon, I had ditched my coat, and was playing my lovely new guitar, pacing up and down. My father and I had determined that I had an exceptional ear for music (I could hear it once, and knew which chords were which), and reading music was as gentle a breeze as the one caressing my face and moving my hair. Such a wonderful day! Then it all turned to ash as I spotted Ricky headed up the drive.

"Oh, shit! Dad, hide me!"

He grabbed my arm as I was about to bolt inside, the traiter.

"I don't think so Min, you'll need to do this sooner or later; might as well be now."

"Jeeves. a little help?"

"I think not mistress Min, I agree with your father."

"You're traiters, both of you." Crap, too late now.

"Myrc? Is that you? That is you, isn't it?"

"Yes it's me, Ricky...but I go by Minerva or Min now. How's your week been?"

"Pretty good. We've missed you at the game on thursday. Lost by 2 without our power forward."

"I've been rather occupied. Well this is a bit awkward. Take a good look at the new me, and get it out of your system. I'm done for today dad."

I no longer felt like playing anymore as Ricky did indeed gawk.

"come on, let's take a walk."

"OK."

We headed towards the park, Jeeves falling in behind us.

"So who is he?"

"That is just Jeeves, my butler."

"You rate a butler now?"

"Not really, but he's worried I'll keel over."

"What? you're still changing?"

"No, nothing of the sort. I finished yesterday. But this stupid body of mine got worse. I'm anemic now, which means I'm prone to passing out. No cool powers either. No flight, eyebeams, or mind bullets. The only thing cool to come from the entire thing is Jeeves."

"If I may interrupt mistress Min...your ability is your increased intelligence, which led to my construction."

"...What? Not sure I got that...but Min built you you say?"

"Yes, I built him Ricky, my amazing mutant power is the power to suddenly stroke off at odd times and build things in a type of sleepwalking daze. He's an android."

"That's actually pretty cool. Can you build more of them?"

I blinked.

"Yes, probably quite easily. Why? You want one?"

"My very own robot? Sure, who wouldn't?"

"Hmm, Never really thought about it. there might be a market for you Jeeves."

"Of course there is mistress Min, I am a marvel of modern technology."

"Ha! Good joke you suck up."

"....I don't get it."

"Of course not Ricky, it's an inside joke. I built him out of car parts and junk."

"Really?"

Ricky turned around and poked Jeeves in the arm, leading to both of us quirking amused eyebrows at him.

"So let's hit the park, I'd love to see something resembling nature at the moment. Then afterwards I'll show you my latest project, if you want."

"Sure. I'm fine with that."

There was silence for a few long moments as we soaked in the sunshine and fresh air. Then oh how rudely it was broken.

"So...are you really all girl?"

"I told you that already once Ricky. for pity's sake, yes I now have to sit down to pee. And before youo ask about that, yes it is very annoying."

"Sorry, my bad, it's just...kind of alot to deal with. We've known each other for years, and now you look completely different. It's alot for me to take in."

"I'll tell you what I told my dad; you should try looking at it from this angle. Let's go this way."

I had spotted the park's basketball court in use, by some fellow teens I knew. Ricky was bad enough, I really didn't want to deal with some of the more donkey-like members of our local student body. So I led my little troupe deeper into the small copse of trees our park sported.

"that reminds me, did you tell anyone about my condition during the school week?"

"I told enough, it's the talk of the school. Everyone knows by now or they live under a rock."

"Good, should make this coming monday at least a little easier."

"not so sure about that one, but here's hoping. So...guitar huh? Didn't think your dad was ever going to teach you."

"Me either; but he relented. At least one plus for me. I seem to be a natural."

We basked in each other's company for some time, weaving among the trees and once again enjoying the silence (at least I was; Ricky still looked somewhat uncomfortable).

"Ugh, enough of this. I don't bite you know, and I'm not contagious. Jeeves we still on schedule?"

"Yes mistress Min, we still have 41 minutes 23 seconds, estimated, before our actual progress meets the time projected."

"Good enough, time to go back. If you don't run off screaming Ricky, Ill show you what I'm making."

"Look Min, I'm sorry, it's just...."

"Save it please, just either follow or not. I don't need your apologies."

Once again awkward silence reigned what would have been an otherwise pleasant time. We made out way home without further incident; the park was fully deserted as we came back through, and while the streets were somewhat crowded, adults were no problem...they were at least halfway tactful in their stares and whispers. Or so I told myself, head held high and back straight. It was beginning to get chilly again however, so I hurried my steps, wanting my coat. I may not like X-ray much, but his choice in outerwear was dead on.

As soon as we reached the garage I threw that thing on, and let my computer scan my face. I pointed Ricky at the screen.

"that...is what I'm working on."

"Um...what is it?"

I looked again, and face palmed. Of course he couldn't read the schematic!

"It's a type of printer that prints objects. you put the material you want ot make the item out of here...and then these spigots run around spitting out small amounts of it in a programmed pattern which makes the object."

"Um, wow...sounds pretty space age."

"No, not really, It's current proven technology, I've just taken it one step further; mine should be able to make moving objects or objects of more than one part. Like for example, an engine for the 'cuda."

"Whoa...you mean this thing might actually move without being pushed in my lifetime?"

I grinned at him. "If I have anything to say about it, yes."

"Cool. So um, you're going to work on it now, right?"

"Yes, that is the plan. Jeeves, spigot 4 needs attached to the frame on that mid length axis, 22.4 percent angle."

"yes mistriss Min."

"Mind if I just take this seat here in the corner and watch out of the way?"

"If you're quiet, not really. Knock yourself out."

"Cool."

"OK Jeeves, coffee time. Please get a mountain dew for Ricky as well."

Tools in hand, I got to work.

Some time during that session, Ricky left...I couldn't say exactly when, or what he said if anything when he did. I know I muttered some kind of response when he did, but I don't think it was very coherant. But the important thing was the machine.

"Mistress Min, you should rest."

Jeeves was shaking me gently when I finally came back to myself, power screwdriver in hand. All at once the crushing fatigue of the day hit me. I blinked a bit, realizing the machine was almost complete.

"But Jeeves, We're almost done here! Barring any unfortunate setbacks, we can't be more than 2 hours away."

"I agree with your assesment mistress Min, but unfortunately you are at your limit. You must sleep. If you'd like, I can finish up the printer tonight in your stead. I can consult your laptop to finish it with your permission."

"Sure, go ahead. Though I reserve the right to look the thing over when I wake, to make sure. I'd rather not have it blow up on us."

"Of course mistress Min, but for now, let's get you to bed."

Jeeves escorted me throught the silent house, almost completely holding me up as we walked. It was after midnight, and everyone else had long since gone to sleep themselves. Once to my room, Jeeves handed me some powder blue flannel pajamas and left. I put the garments on, vaguely happy they weren't pink, each
movement making me exponentially more tired, as I crashed. These high and low spells did seem to be getting better though, at least I didn't just pass out on the floor.

Jeeves came back with an insulated travel mug full of chamomile, and tucked me in. I had to remember to tweak him, some of his behaviour was completely unacceptable....

"Mistress Min, please wake up, it is morning." Are you kidding me? Already?

"murrrghhh."

"Mistress Min, it is 6:30 am, your normal weekday wake up time."

"It's sunday Jeeves, what the hell?"

"I am aware; however keeping a proper sleep schedule is fundamental to your health."

"There had better be coffee within arm's reach, or I am going to fine tune you...with a crowbar."

"There is mistress Min, and I have good news. I finished the project last night."

"I expected no less. Any unforeseen problems?"

"None at all mistress Min, it awaits your showered and dressed presence for it's shakedown trial."

"Heh. got you...so what is for breakfast today?"

"Simplicity itself mistress Min, french toast, scrambled eggs, and sausage. It will be sitting in your usual place by the time you finish showering."

He left me to my thoughts, such as they were. I never had this much trouble waking up before; it must have something to do with my stupid blood. With that in mind I took the pills next to the coffee cup, threw them in my mouth and drank the coffee down. Hopefully enough of those would stabilize me. Grabbing another tee shirt and jeans I made my way to the bathroom. I'd been lucky lately, every time I wanted to shower in the morning, the bathroom had been empty; normally it was a 50/50 chance Ian was in, as the 'rents had their own bathroom off the master bedroom.

Today, a knock proved Ian was inside. And I dared not go in, for even though I'd seen it all before, I was a member of the enemy gender now, and I was sure just barging in would get objections. So I settled for the next best thing.

"Hey Ian, get your butt out of the bathroom, I need to go."

"Hold your horses, wench. Almost done."

"A wench am I? what, are we back in the days of gaslights run by whale oil now?"

"...huh?"

"Sterling commentary Ian, absolutely top notch. Don't forget to wash your hands now little brother, hate for you to catch something from yourself."

I heard some grumbling, then the sink tap turn on from my position against the door.

"So what is Ian doing this sunday?"

"Not much sis, thought I'd lounge around and play some halo."

"Hmm, almost sounds like fun...maybe I'll join you. Or maybe I'll try those games that came with my laptop."

The door opened so fast I almost fell.

"New games? PC games? Why didn't you say so?"

"Heh. Same old Ian." I dodged past him and into the bathroom, rapidly shedding clothes. After a quick seat on the toilet (still annoying!) I made sure to check the shower settings, as Ian had gotten me that way once, and I do learn. Readjusting it (he's so predictable) I took my shower and patted dry. I was sure Jeeves would want to mess with my hair again, so I left it mostly alone. and hit the stairs.

Sure enough breakfast was there, and so was Jeeves, brush in hand. I headed straight to the mug of coffee next to the plate, nodding to mom and dad.

"Well, is today the big day? We noticed you working very late last night."

"Yes, Jeeves finished the final adjustments. I plan to check it over, give the machine a shakedown then start it up. The 'cuda should have a working engine by tonight, father."

"That seems a bit fast, you sure?"

"Of course, early morning at the latest. It should be no problem at all, provided the printer works as expected."

"don't stress yourself honey, if you get tired, you stop today, alright?"

"Of course mother, I'll simply have Jeeves finish it, he proved capable enough last night."

I ate at a sedate pace, for once matching mother, rather than father. Jeeves toyed with my hair, and even Ian was quiet for once. A nice pleasant breakfast; at least until Ian looked at me and snorted.

"Ha, sis, you really need to fix Jeeves."

"What now? Jeeves what are you doing now?"

"I am braiding your hair mistress Min. You intend to do engine work today, I'd rather not see your hair get caught in any moving parts."

"There you go, perfectly good reason for it. Though I'm still not sure if I want to chop it off or not, Jeeves is thinking ahead."

"whatever you say sis."

"And on that note, shall we abscond to the garage and check Jeeves' work? Not that I don't trust you Jeeves, but I was thinking of a few last minute improvements we could implement..."

"The schedule, mistress Min. We must consider the schedule."

"True, once school starts back up monday I won't have much time at all for this. Oh well, just a few absolutely necessary ones then, won't take more than a few minutes."

I wasted no further time, opening my computer and checking the schematics against the reality. I made a few adjustments, pointing them out to Jeeves as I worked...a half a degree change on armature 4, a slight loosening of bolt 47 to make sure it had just a little give so the mixing tank could swing, some other small things. Then I started the diagnostic.

We all watched as the machine checked all its motors, flexing its armatures, turning the spigots on and off, rotating around it's object platform. Then my laptop beeped as it checked the connection to the printers CPU and the software required to run it. Not 2 minutes later it was done; everything had checked out perfectly fine and in the green.

"OK, it all checks out. Time to test it. Jeeves could you set the junk engine there?"

I got the engine specifications loaded while Jeeves picked up one of the junk engines father had brought me, a truck's V8 of some kind, and brought it close.

"Ready mistress Min?"

"All set, drop it in."

He heaved the engine, but as he neared the mixing tank flexed, the top lid opening into serrated metal jaws. With a weird extension,the jaws lifted up and snapped around the engine; Jeeves barely managed to get his arms out of the way.

I looked from the unflappable face of Jeeves to the awed shock of my family which I felt better represented my own expression.

"Ummm...it's not supposed to do that."

"Indeed, I'd advise not trying to directly place anything in the mixing tank, Campbell family. Mistress Min, you are not allowed within 8.2 feet of this tank unless the device is turned off."

"No arguments here."

I checked the laptop again. "Well at least the programming looks sound; it's already starting."

No sooner had I spoke then the mixing tank started churning, it's sides already beginning to glow with transferred heat.

"Minerva, what does the mixing tank use to generate that heat?"

"Nothing much father, just a boosted microwave convection; see the box off to the side?"

"...That was a microwave? Nevermind, my question is, is the tank capable of handling the type of temperatures its generating to melt steel? and the melted steel itself?"

"Of course it is father! I mean I know the mixing tank is a little disconcerting, but it should absolutely work to well past the tolerances we are using it for."

I brought up my calculations on the laptop.

"See? Triplechecked."

"...OK, if you're sure."

"Sure I'm sure! we can leave the machine to work if you'd rather; the hard part is done; now we just sit back and wait."

"Sounds good, your mom and I need to go for a bit again today, we should be back by noon. Um, could you leave Jeeves out here to make sure the house doesnt burn down or melt or something?"

"Have some faith! but yes I can, was planning on it anyway. Have fun! Going to go read or something."

I grabbed some coffee and went upstairs while everyone else filed back in, leaving Jeeves to his lonely fate. I started with my new algebra and calculus texts. I heard Ian booting up his xbox next door through the open doorways.

"Good luck in there Ian."

"Hah, luck is for people without skill sis, but thanks. Plan on joining me later?"

"Maybe, still thinking of some computer tinkering later. But for now, I want to make sure my integers are up to the tasks I need them for."

"Better you than me."

I buckled in, and hours passed. I was almost finished with the second text when I heard steps on the stairs. I could still hear the silly sounds of Halo, so I knew it wasn't Ian.

"Who's there? Jeeves that you?"

"Yes mistriss Min, I came to inform you that something seems to be wrong. The machine seems well behind schedule, and not performing properly."

"Oh crap, better check it."

I ran downstairs, passing Jeeves, visions of explosions dancing in my brain. What greeted me however, was far different. The three dimensional printer was working fine, it had already printed about an inch of material. I watched it work for a moment as Jeeves joined me. It was simply working too slow. The precision was there, but the time taken to achieve it was way below projections.

"Oh crap, I'm an idiot. I know what's wrong, be right back. Just keep making sure it doesn't go all TNT on us."

I ran back upstairs, grabbing some speakers, my headphones, and the game discs for the laptop and ran back downstairs. I set the speakers into the laptop and cranked them up, using itunes to create a playlist. Soon the strains of some nice remixes were floating through the air. I started loading one of the games "craft of war" on the lap while bopping along, setting the game sounds to filter directly to the headphones while Jeeves watched. Checking the programming through my laptop again, I confirmed what I'd half guessed. The introduction of the music had actually sped up the machine, and it was now responding 49% faster.

Jeeves said nothing, simply sitting down beside me and watching. Soon I was bopping to the music and moving little orcs around the screen, terrorizing the online world of Maisroth within the tutorial.

"What's with all the noise?" Ian yelled from the doorway.

"Nothing really, just the party is down here! Come in, and bring me some coffee! Your goddess demands coffee!"

"Whatever sis, coming."

He came back with the required sacrifice, looking around.

"So what's the deal? we starting a rave in the garage? Ansd since when do you actually listen to crap like that?"

I pointed behind me.

"...Holy shit sis; it's dancing!"

I looked again myself. The spigots were wheeling around each other, armatures weaving in and out; even the mixing tank was shifting in time.

"...Yes I guess it is."

I went back to the game.

"So that's normal?"

"...Why wouldn't it be?"

"...Right. So is this the new Craft of War game? I so wanted to play this when it came up, but my crappy PC wouldn't run it."

"Well mine will, so sit back, I'll let you take a turn in a bit."

After the tutorial I went straight to online multiplayer, making and moving my armies with reckless abandon. It did not take me long to understand the mechanics and basic strategies involved in the game. So I was climbing in the rankings fairly quickly. Oddly, Ian did not utter a single peep once I'd gotten going, preferring to watch me, apparently.

"Sure you don't want a turn?"

"Positive, watching you own these guys is pretty enjoyable. More coffee?"

"No, I can't, made a deal with Jeeves. Can you grab me some of the juice instead?"

"Sure, coming up."

The next game started as he came back with the juice.

"No, you should scout. take one of your little miner guys, and move him all around the map so you can see where your opponent is, and what he's building. Vision is very important in a game like this."

"Ah, and I just build another miner to mine, cause this one likely won't live."

"Yep, that's it."

"Seems harsh; that poor little guy, I want to see him make it back."

"Well I'm not saying don't try it. It's just not likely, and his information will save all kinds of lil guys of yours."

We played a bit more; at some point, Ricky had joined us. I didn't even notice untill he leaned over and said.

"So what's that one doing?"

"Oh he's casting unhallowed soil, to buff my ghouls and damage the other guys archers."

"Cool; Nice game."

"Yes, it's pretty fun. So what brings you over?"

"Just wanted to hang out; see what you were doing. Any more robots built after I left yesterday?"

"Nah, I did finish the printer though."

"Yep, I see that, it's just chugging away. Kind of weird seeing half an engine there though. I am assuming the mixing tank is supposed to be glowing and giving off heat waves like that?"

I minimized the game and checked.

"Well within tolerances. Jeeves?"

"All seems well, I am alert."

"Of course you are. All is well Ricky."

"Gotcha; you're getting attacked."

"Shit!"

I almost lost the game; as it was I lost half my city.

"So I heard you got the new shooter as part of your software pack."

I pointed on the workbench, where the paper sleeve containing said game could clearly be seen.

"That's going in next, right after I win this."

"Hey, Ian, could you go get that controller you have?"

"Real gamers QWERTY, wimp."

"Whatever shrimp; just get it."

I glared at Ricky a minute, and he had the good grace to catch on and shoot me an apologetic glance.

"Whatever, I won, installing this thing now."

I checked on the printer again while the computer loaded the game. All was in the green, though the mixing tankw as nearing yellow. I checked the temperature and reduced the microwave pulse width accordingly. Then I simply attached the controller Ian handed me and got out of the way.

"I'm going to get some more coffee; Jeeves you want anything?"

"No mistress Min, I conducted maintenence last night; I am fine. Thank you for asking though."

"Suit yourself. Be right back."

I brought back my coffee, and two mountain dews, which I set in front of the resident game zombies, then settled back to watch the fun. Ricky was truly so awful at shooters, it was inspiring. I mean, how could anyone do worse? At least it was entertaining to watch. After about an hour of this though, we were interrupted by a slightly pleasant yet also somehow slightly annoying 'ding!'.

"Mistress Min..."

"Right, it's done! Just needs to cool a bit on top, then we can throw it in."

Ian and Ricky just stared at me.

"A microwave chime sis? Really?"

"Sure why not? I mean, it was just lying there, and it serves the purpose, doesn't it?"

"No sense of style at all."

"Whatever. Break time is over. Time to get to work again."

I shut down the printer from my laptop and grabbed a socket wrench.

"time to pull an engine; you two want to help?"

"um, sure. Just tell us what to do."

"All you too really need to do is hold lights and tools and such; I don't want to get blamed if you screw something up. I'd rather get blamed if I screw up."

"Fair enough."

And so we got to work, Jeeves and I handling the heavy stuff (mostly Jeeves there, he'd simply lift the front end of the car, allowing me underneath) and Ricky and Ian on light and tool handling duty, repectively. Though I almost had them switch several times...Ricky dropped the light more than once. Not something you want to have happen at all. He was our team's best ball handler for pity's sake!

"Dinner time! We come bearing pasta!"

"We're in here, on our way! Jeeves could you do me a favor and finish up? I'd keep helping but pretty sure mom would drag me away. As for after, well..."

"You are fatigued; I know.' He approached me and lifted my face to meet his eyes. "I'd be happy to mistress Min, there is no need to feel guilty; I exist to serve you."

How could he do that? He always knew what I was thinking, and what to say.

"Thank you Jeeves, would you like me to leave the music on?"

"No, thank you mistress Min; I appreciate the thought, but you might need your laptop."

"Alright.let me know if there is something I can do to help."

I went inside and shut the door behind me, leaning against it.

"Something wrong honey? You look a little flustered." Mom looked up from placing plates on the table.

"No everything is fine; dad, your engine is done, Jeeves is finishing up the install now. It should be ready to drive by tomorrow, easily."

"That's great! No problems on that front?"

"no it's done, and it's being tested now. The old engine is pretty much out."

"Wow, faster than I expected."

From the garage we heard a nice throaty roar. I smiled.

"I do good work."

Seeing the look of unbridled joy on my father's face almost made the entire past week worthwhile. Almost.

"Can't celebrate quite yet father; it'll be around 4 more hours before the cuda is ready. But a working engine we do have. If you want you can speed up the process by helping Jeeves, but I intend to get some sleep. I feel quite tired again."

"that reminds me, next saturday we have an appointment with Dr. Halleck...a check up on your anemia, to determine if the medication is helping, or if more aggressive measures are necessary to get it under control."

"...Joy."

As is our family tradition, once the plates were set conversation stopped and we focused on chowing down. I tried to emulate my mother this time, taking smaller bites, not resting my arms on the table. This earned a nod of approval as father and Ian pigged out, oblivious. As soon as I finished, Mother made shooing motions at me. I did not argue.

Instead I stuck my tongue out at Ian in passing, knowing he'd be the one to do dishes, and made my way to my room, shedded my clothes, and buried myself in covers, dreading what morning would bring.

up
285 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What kind of Devicer

is she when nothing blows up! :) Thank Gawd for Jeeves!
Hugs
Grover

Outstanding!

This has turned out to be one of those "Drop whatever it is you are doing and read it now!" stories.

Thanks,
Larimus

WOW O_O

I absolutely love this series, the way the characters talk and act make them all so loveable. I find Min's sibling rivalry adorable and I really hope she can find a way to cure her brother. I bet she will, she's determined to help mew.

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

devisor

as to what kind a powerful one

This is so

much fun to read. Looking forward to Min getting to school.

I can see a problem with the transmission and the engine not being compatible though. That could be a fun little problem to overcome.

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Why?

Factory spec original engine and factory transmission, ought to bolt right up like they were made for each other. Which they were.

Edit/Add: In fact, they've already heard the engine running, that means it has been installed, bolted down, and hooked up already.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

debate.

While the transmission is factory spec, and the engine is as well, the transmission is old, and the engine is brand new. There could indeed be some minor problems involving wear and tear on the original transmission, but it will indeed bolt right in.

However, you can in fact, start an engine to test it without bolting it into the car first. engineers do it to test
such engines all the time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

I didn't see any mention

Of a sturdy professional-quality engine stand. You are not going to start an engine with that much horsepower hanging from a hoist, or bolted to a Sears engine stand. My two oldest brothers used to build and race AA Fuelers in Tulsa. They had one stand purpose-made for the particular engine they used. My next oldest brother had a friend who loved 60-61 Ramblers, 6 cyl, three on the tree tranny. Even that 6 cyl. engine could not be started on a hoist, just the starter kick would send it jumping around. So you'll need to rewrite this to put them in possession of a $2000+ engine stand (the one at the Chev. dealership I worked at was over $4000 to safely hold a running 454 big block and weighted a LOT!) or just have the engine bolted into the car. (it borders on stupid to bolt an engine in to test it, then pull it back out to install the tranny.) Occam's Razor.

Add: Looking back at your comment, I think the key word is "engineers". This is not an manufacturer's test shop, this is a home garage, with an untrained divisor and her android sidekick.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Occam's razer.

The razor is indeed in effect; however, if you'll notice, while no mention was made of a purpose made engine stand,
there was also no mention made of what the engine was bolted to when it was started up, or even how it was. The entire process was done off camera so to speak. Now I admit to not being a car aficionado, but I'm also not silly enough to miss this little 'plot hole'. So how did it happen? I assure you the pieces are there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

I didn't expect a mention

Because one wasn't needed. Ordinary circumstances ruled out the need. It's like she needs to cross a street. There's no reason to think that her powerful robot dug a tunnel for her under the street when she can use the crosswalk.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Except.

Except if you remember your own argument just a bit before, about how this family wouldn't have the proper engine stand; an argument I agree with. If your options are rely on the robot in Min's own forgetful haphazard manner, or not to do it....you rely on the robot. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

I assume...

...that since Jeeves was able to lift the engine (with ease, given he managed to lug around the truck engine without any trouble), he may have been holding it for the test. Either that, or he improvised a stand from materials lying around. After all, he's pretty good at second-guessing Min and responding to her needs before she has chance to vocalise them.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Just that

if you assume the transmission is still factory spec, invariably it is not.

Like when Jasmine and I rebuilt my fathers mustang, we ordered the small block V-8 turned out the transmission had been changed to go with a different V-8 that had been put in afterward.

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

A good point.

A very good point, however, this Barracuda is a restoration job, unfortunately Archie Campbell is a much better stickler for the the proper parts, than he is a mechanic; perhaps if he had checked a few simple things, that engine wouldn't have needed replaced. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

Manic

is what she is and very entertaining while she is. Did I mention... Oh right, I did. Also acerbic. I like Min.

Maggie

Quirkiness, I like.

This is a fun story. I do hope that the engine of the Cuda does not melt down or fall prey to other forms of chaos. :)

Gwendolyn

Whatever next?!

The 3D printer's quite exceptional, but nothing too strenuous for a devisor. What raised an eyebrow for me, however, was that it seemingly requires a soundtrack to be motivated into working (not sure if the gaming contributed or was just a way of killing two birds with one stone).

For now, she's restoring the 'cuda so it works, but it's certainly possible that when it comes to servicing it, worn components get replaced with custom made parts that are better specced than the manufacturer's originals; plus the possibility of various "minor" tweaks here and there to improve performance / fuel efficiency.

When she returns to school, paying particular attention in chemistry and biology classes could prove useful to further widen the range of things she can gadgeteer/devise - perhaps some form of small IV iron pump...

If/when she does eventually get to Whateley, accommodating her could be interesting. She'd probably be secure enough in her new gender to warrant Dickenson, but then there's the small matter of Jeeves, who seems to be 'on' 24/7 and probably wouldn't want to be confined to her lab whenever she was in the cottage (as the other residents may have problems with an apparently lifelike android in their midst). Then again, if Jeeves was charged with looking after her roommate (e.g. tidying up, fetching breakfast) as well... :) On the other hand, there'd be oodles more hilarity value in accommodating her within Poe (especially if she goes there during the 2007-2008 academic year, when the campus' most infamous residents will be living on the floor above).


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Jade

OH please no! You know Jade would want one. :) She already liked that French Maid costume way too much.
Hugs
Grover

If I remember...

If I remember my cannon right, Min would most likely be placed in Hawthorne; while not obvious at first glance, she is definitely a special needs case...to say anymore would spoil.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

Smelter to full engine

Jamie Lee's picture

What Min created is more than a 3D printer, she created a smelter/assembly line. And in the garage! And it uses scrap parts to make the new engine.

What she created could revolutionize the auto industry, making it easier and faster to make engines. And putting a lot of people out of work. That in itself would anger a lot of people, people who'd like to take their anger out on Min.

What Min created could be a wonderful way to recycle used material, as she did with the old engine used in the printer. If only people would see it that way, instead of her costing jobs.

Mom and dad are pretty cool with all Min is doing, only wanting to make sure her health is good. Why? Why don't they blow a fuse at her using the garage to not rebuild an engine, but make an engine from scrap? Something is up with them, something they're keeping from Min and Ian.

Others have feelings too.