Tears of the Innocent -- Part 2

Comments

What a sweet ceremony

Melange's picture

Marriage customs of different cultures always fascinated me so. It was a very symbolic way the past was forgotten with the shedding of the red veil. Now, you could argue that there was nothing to forgive in the first place, but sadly some parts of the world don't see it that way.

Thanks for another great chapter, Melodie!

At least here the issue has been confronted and put aside

Many a wedding in this country pretends less than sterling past behavior never happened, only to have the wedding guests whisper unkind sentiments behind false smiles.

I have a feeling that the ceremonial veil really is a symbol that past actions are past, not to be mentioned again.

SuZie

Wedding

The use of the veil is not part of the Philippine customs, but the wedding described in this story is real. The real Maria was a victim of forced prostitution, and she was rescued from it by the real Charlie. The question of Maria’s true sins can be argued by many, but in Maria’s heart she felt she had sinned before her God, and was not giving her husband the purity that she prayed for all her life. At their wedding, the veil was employed to acknowledge that both knew of her past, and that past would have no bearing on their future. Though she could not come to her husband with the purity in her body that she wanted, she could offer the purity of her heart. I am happy to report that the real Charlie and Maria are still happily married after many years.

MT

I sure hope they can find Adeline......

It's so sad that things like this and worse still happen today. I think the employment agency knows more than she let on, but there's probably no way to prove that now. Nice chapter Melodie, enjoying the story so far. Keep'em comin' hon. (Hugs) Taarpa

Actually...

I don't think she does.

I mean, even in the US employment agencies are notorious for not properly vetting all the companies who hire people from the agencies. They do keep good documents though.

But this is the Philippines... and I somehow don't doubt at all that documentation standards there are much lower than they are here. And the agencies are probably completely unregulated and don't even answer to the government in any real way.

And her reaction seems to say that she really truly is sorry when these cases come up.

I'm sure she gave them all that she could.

On the other hand... wow, what an emotional chapter! Especially that wedding! I kept blinking back tears the entire time!

Abigail Drew.