Jihad 3.7

Printer-friendly version

Jihad
3.7 Iran
by Red MacDonald
Copyright © 2013 Red MacDonald
All Rights Reserved.

The Faithful, North African and Middle Eastern Islamic nations, are plotting to seize the oil resources of the Middle East. By controlling the earth's oil and its major trade routes, they plan to bring the world to its knees. Then, when the entire world is kneeling, the Faithful of Allah will read to them from the Koran, preaching the message of Islam, the True Faith. The Faithful will stop at nothing to achieve their goal. But how far will they go? And how many lives will it cost?

Persian Gulf-5x75.jpg

3 Gambits

3.7 Iran

* * * * *

3.7.1 Assault on Suffaniyah

Colonel Rashamani’s reinforced Second Regiment surged down the highway at thirty kilometers per hour, hiding under the umbrella of Persian artillery. Exactly at 05:30, the bombardment stopped, and there before him, enwrapped in a cloud of dust and debris, were the tank positions that had murdered his regiment just two days before.

Rashamani shouted a curt order into the microphone. His lead battalion veered off to the left to seize the high ground by the sea. Another order, and Third Battalion swerved to the right, taking up the flanking position. One of his T-90s fired its long cannon, and a bright flame appeared just 500 meters away. A BTM disappeared in a flash of light off to his left. A BTR collapsed on its right side, rolling over and over in flames. Another explosion occurred in front of him and another as Saudi tanks and infantry fighting vehicles ceased to exist. "Forward! Forward!" he shouted over the entire command net. "We are amongst them, and our foot is on their necks!"

"Colonel," the command set came alive. It was General Yousoufli. "I am deploying Third Regiment on your right. Heavy artillery is no longer available, but mobile howitzers are in place. Remember, shoot at nothing which is under 100 meters. Helicopters incoming."

An explosion to his right! Another! Where are they coming from? Third Battalion answered his question almost as soon as he had asked it. "Enemy forces enfilading on my right! I must have support!"

"On its way," he answered and turned to Fourth Battalion’s frequency. "Heavy resistance on right flank. Come up behind Third. Attack axis southwest." He received acknowledgment and switched to Division’s frequency. "General, I am receiving heavy fire from right flank. Fourth Battalion is advancing southwest. Swing Third Regiment to the east, and we will catch them in a pincer. This could be our breakthrough."

"Confirmed," the general replied. "I am in position to observe. You are correct. I have ordered First Battalion of Third Regiment to comply. Second and Third Battalions are sweeping further west to by-pass. If needed, I will detach Second to encircle. Attack, Colonel! Forward!"

A pocket of stubborn Saudis quickly came into being and then collapsed as Persian tanks crushed the defenders. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, the city of As-Suffaniyah appeared in Persian viewing slits. The city’s streets were filled with fleeing Saudis. Their engine compartments made excellent targets.

First Battalion swept along the city’s water-front, while Second and Third moved into the heart of their objective. Fourth Battalion wheeled to enter the city from the southwest. General Yousoufli carefully directed Third Regiment, maintaining contact with the moving flank of Fourth Battalion, while guiding The Warriors of the Prophet Division on his right.

The battle was short, but fierce. The Saudis fought and died in place. They battled from the ground, from cellars and roof-tops. They fought valiantly, but to no avail. Even the Saudi Air Force died in the skies above them.

As General Yousoufli had predicted, the Saudis tried a similar combination of feints and surprise attacks. This time the Irani Air Force had their own Mainstay Air Warning and Control Aircraft in the sky. The excellent jamming techniques the Saudis used were to no avail. The Mainstay was far removed from the EA-29’s zone of protection. The F-15s which sought to ambush were ambushed instead. The F-16s were driven off with a concentrated barrage of 23-mm and 57-mm AAA along with mobile AAM launchers. Irani Su-27s and MiG-29s destroyed the ancient Apaches and modern RAH-66 Comanches. Persian Hinds and Minxes decimated the Saudi armored defenders.

The bitter, sometimes hand-to-hand, and often muzzle-to-muzzle battle continued for three hours: three hours, which seemed like three months or years, or seconds. Then, just as suddenly as they had arrived, they were through Al-Suffaniyah. Small clusters of Saudi vehicles fled down the road to the southwest. Scattered rifle shots bounced off armored flanks.

"Allah be praised!" Rashamani radioed to Yousoufli. "We are through! Tell the Kingdom of Allah Division that the road to Jubayl is open to them thanks to the Soldiers of Allah."

The command to advance was quickly relayed to the Kingdom of Allah Division, and its lead tanks roared through the city at thirty kilometers per hour. As they rolled by, the cheering of the Soldiers of Allah Division echoed through the barren and burning city.

Rashamani tried to reorganized his battalions to follow in the path of the Kingdom of Allah Division, but they had been mauled. Two of his four battalion commanders were dead. Both Second and Third Battalions had been ravaged and were down to seventy-five percent effectives. Only First and Fourth Battalions had escaped the fury of the battle in the streets, so he placed them in the lead.

Rashamani tried as best he could to gather the remaining strength of Second and Third into something resembling a military organization. But, there wasn’t enough left of either to reassemble. He radioed Yousoufli and reported his circumstance, "I am prepared to advance in support of the Kingdom of Allah Division with only two battalions. I recommend that the survivors of Second and Third Battalions be decorated for their bravery, and then used as garrison troops until they can be integrated into other units."

"Well done, Rashamani! Third Regiment will take the lead. I will join you, and we will follow them. As we travel we will reorganize this division to be able to support the Kingdom of Allah Division’s drive on Jubayl."

The colonel was elated. More than one commander had been executed for such a pyrrhic victory. Sandwiched as they were between the Kingdom of Allah and the Warriors of the Prophet they would still be able to contribute to the final victory over the Saudis.

up
75 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The question remains

how much the Faithful will be able to take advantage of this victory. It really hinges on the effectiveness of their ambush of the American fleet. Otherwise this advance could be very short lived.

Hugs
Grover