The Angry Mermaid 79 or Y Morforwyn Dicllon 79

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Elements: 

TG Themes: 

Permission: 

Drustina receives a summons to attend King Ethelred's court to resolve some issues concerning her pregnancy. She keeps her baby's paternity a secret to avoid any complications concerning the baby's potential rights to claim the Viking throne. Later she discovers her love for Carl and agreement to marry wins her some unexpected bonuses in her quest to regain her queendom of Lleyn.

The Angry Mermaid 79

Or

Y Morforwyn Dicllon 79.

Just as Symone and Gisela had predicted, the news of Drustina’s pregnancy quickly spread the length and breadth of King Ethelred’s Wessex and the inevitable summons to attend Ethelred’s court soon arrived from Winchester.
The messenger arrived un-announced one winter’s morning and demanded to see the Lioness.

Symone met the man and his entourage at the door of Drustina’s residence and naturally reached out to receive the missive. The man stared down haughtily from his horse and arrogantly withheld the scroll out of reach.

“It is for me to read out the order myself! This is business well above the station of a common girl.”

The man’s dress had already alerted Symone to his clerical status so she shrugged then remarked.

“Then you can sit up there all day and freeze to death tonight. No mere man enters the Lioness’s quarters un-invited. “

The man stared down bristling with indignation that a mere slip of a girl should be so audacious as to treat him with such disdain.

“Do you realise who I am girl?”

“No; and until I see what’s in that missive, I never will know. All I do know is that any stranger that imposes themselves upon the Lioness’s privacy is asking to receive short thrift.”

The holy man was not bearing arms although his accompanists were. He realised they would be loath to assault a girl who was obviously connected to the woman they had been despatched to accompany back to Ethelred’s court. He tried another tack.

“Can you read girl?”

It was Symone’s turn to bristle angrily for during Drustina’s pregnancy, the Lioness had taught both Symone and Gisela Latin letters. After a few months of intense tuition, both girls had become proficient. Symone’s eyes blazed angrily at the messenger’s question. She snapped back.

“Of course I can read!”

The messenger was now a little perplexed and for want of making any further progress with the obstinate girl he unrolled the parchment and started reading aloud.

“His Majesty King Ethelred of Wessex requests the lady known as Drustina, the Lioness of Carthage, to attend forthwith at the King’s court on or before the last day of month after the Midwinter Solstice. It is reported that the Lady Drustina is with child and that the father of that child is unknown. Bearing that the Lady Drustina is a de-facto noble of the realm of Wessex by dint of her as-yet unrewarded success in defeating the Viking invasion, it is a matter of the utmost urgency that the ensuing child is legitimised and consequently ennobled by marriage of the mother to a noble officer of the King’s court. This legal union is expected to be ordained in the high church of Winchester and acknowledged by King Ethelred before the parturition of the child from its mother.
Signed this day;

Ethelred, King.”

Having read out the document, the messenger then handed the parchment down to Symone who promptly snatched it from his grasp and disappeared inside. The messenger and his entourage were left wondering what to do. Inside her residence Drustina studied the letter and pursed her lips as Symone and Gisela demanded to have her explain the implications. Drustina explained.

“It seems according to this pious bigot of a king, my pedigree is not sufficient to ensure my baby’s entitlements.”

“What d’you mean?” Gisela pressed.

“Apparently the baby has to be ‘legitimised’ by taking its father’s name.”

“And you don’t know who the father is ...”

“Correct.” Drustina lied as she mused at what unseemly fate might befall her baby if anybody ever learned the truth.

“So what do you intend to do?” Symone asked.

Drustina paused.

“Me? For the moment nothing. Whatever I do I absolutely refuse to marry one of Ethelred’s Christianised earls. That would reduce me to the status of a Christian wife, a chattel; little more than a servant of some stupid Christian oaf. A piece of property to be bound by his will and forced to abide by his command.”

“And — that — you — would - never — do!” Gisela enunciated slowly and deliberately.

Drustina nodded her affirmation as she explained.

“Have you seen the wording of these Christian’s marriage contracts?”

“No.” Both girls chorused.

“Well it’s a contract into slavery. I would lose everything I hold precious, my freedom, my royal status, my entitlements and privileges in a dozen different realms from here to Antium. Worse still, I would forfeit all my personal property to my husband; I would even lose ownership of Seripatese. The whole idea is a non-starter.”

“What about your older children, Morgan and Amethyst?” Symone wondered.

Drustina’s jaw clenched as Symone’s observation struck deep.

“By the gods! You’re right. According to these pious bigots, my other children would be deemed illegitimate unless I declare their parentage as well!”

“So what d’you intend to do?” Symone continued.

Drustina frowned.

“For the moment, nothing, they have me at their mercy. I am heavy with my child and I will not risk my baby’s life by sword-play. Besides, my men are all up in Sotona and Winchester reinforcing the city walls and defences. My ships are alongside in Porsea and Sotona except for The Angry Mermaid who is here in Cws.

“So how are you going to deal with this summons?” Gisela pressed. “Who the hell does this King Ethelred think he is? He doesn’t own you or your body!”

Drustina cursed silently.

“He seems to think he does and for the moment, there is little I can do. I certainly can’t fight with this big belly slowing me down, so I suppose I’ll have to go to Winchester.”

“You could send word that you are too far gone with child and it might be dangerous to travel.” Symone suggested.

“That would ensure that my child would be declared a bastard and they’d probably try and have me declared a harlot or some such evil. It would give them too much license to act against me, at least by their misogynistic laws.”

“Why should they want to act against you?” Gisela asked.

“My independent status is too much of a threat to their fragile Christian laws. I’ve been here before remember. During the wars against Magab’s brother there was a Carthaginian bishop called Alviar, he tried to have me burned as a witch because my duality threatened his fixed preachings about the places of men and women in his religion. Women were firmly placed below men. This is precisely where these Saxon priests are coming from now. I suspect they’re hoping no man will wish to marry me because of my duality and then they will have me charged with being some sort of monster or witch. I would be willing to bet that they will even accord my military victories to some sort of witch-craft; it’s exactly how they work their evil. It’s exactly what Alviar tried.

These priests acquire power by threats and fear of the unknown. That power gains them wealth by selling indulgences and suchlike. Superstition is a powerful weapon, that, and fear of the after-life.”

“So why don’t you marry Carl.” Symone asked. “We all know you’ve declared your love for him.”

“As far as I know, Carl isn’t an Earl or a noble. He was the son of a yeoman farmer back in Saxony”

“Well he damned well should be ennobled!” Gisela cursed. “He continued the fight after you got burnt and he was also scarred by the fire. It was down to him that my father was defeated.”

Drustina was mildly surprised that Gisela should seem pleased about her father’s defeat.

“Are you happy your father was defeated!?”

Gisela’s face darkened noticeably before she muttered darkly.

“Now; yes. My mother only gave him daughters and he cast her out claiming she was bewitched. She died from a broken heart. He had a string of so-called wives after that but none of them gave him a son. He didn’t treat me well either, casting me out because I worship Sappho. I’m glad Carl sent him packing, it’s a pity you weren’t there to share his glory.

“I think Udris and Althred might have something to say about that.” Drustina sighed. “They had as much a part to play in that final act.”

Drustina fell to musing on what might have been then remarked.

“I suppose I could get married to Carl, I do love him and Wessex owes him at least an earldom. Come on, I suppose I’d better tell these stupid messengers that I will attend the king’s court.”

“I’m not sure that’s wise until you’ve asked Carl about it,” Symone added. If you arrived in Winchester and he refused to wed you, what would you do?”

Drustina paused thoughtfully. ‘Symone had a point. Her beauty was reduced thanks to the burn scars and she knew men laid great store by a woman’s looks. But then,’ she thought further, ‘so was Carl scarred’.

She decided to write him a letter and test his feelings first. Within minutes, the letter was written and added to her written reply to the King’s summons. The Messenger now had two letters to despatch. To make sure Carl got the letter, Symone offered to accompany the letter. Drustina concluded it was safe for Symone to join the messenger’s party and she watched as the Gaulish girl boarded the Saxon ship with her own horse to continue onwards to Winchester.

Six days later Symone returned with no less a person than Carl himself. Drustina’s tummy flipped with excitement as she met him at the quay side. The burns to his right side were even worse than Drustina’s scars. She stood hesitantly for several seconds before extending nervous fingers to gently trace the dreadful burns to the side of his head.

“Does it hurt?” She whispered.

“A bit, do yours?”

“Sometimes. I have to sleep on my right side if it’s bad. The scars get tight sometimes and it’s hard to twist my neck.”

Carl nodded.

“Same with me but I sleep on my left side. We’ll be a pair well matched when we share our marriage bed. You are lucky; your beauty is not lost.”

“My left ear is burned.”

“But your beautiful hair easily covers that. You are still a beautiful woman Dru. Turn sideways.”

Drustina tensed slightly then turned slowly so as not to disturb her carefully positioned hair. It was still not grown fully enough to cover the ear and she had combed the hair from the right-hand-side to hide the melted gristle. Carl gently eased the hair away and bent down to kiss her burns then his arms encircled her. Drustina flinched at first then virtually fell into his embrace as tears burst forth. Carl’s embrace tightened.

“Hey dear lady, I love you as no other can. We have served together, lived together, fought together and hopefully we’ll die together, some time a long way from here and now.”

He licked the salty tears from her cheeks and somehow, this gentle act seemed to convey infinitely more than a kiss. Eventually her tears stopped and their lips finally met. As she grasped his head tight to hers, her fingers played along the scarred serrations on his cheekbone. This to her seemed a greater act of intimacy even than bedding him. For in those scars lay Carl’s deepest hurt, Carl’s deepest fears that women would always reject him for the ugliness the scars had left. Her fingers strayed from his scarred cheek to his missing ear and she gently rested her palm against the ear hole as she pressed her lips even harder to his. He winced slightly as he felt her fingering the lank hair that he used exactly as she had ... to hide the disfigurement; though in Carl’s case nothing could hide the scarred cheek save a full ‘shaggy-dog’ cascade of hair over his right cheek. There was no need for words; each of them fully knew the issues that beset them; the shocked looks and averted eyes when others first met them. This mutual realisation caused their embrace to tighten further, words were superfluous.

Eventually they were disturbed by Symone appearing with some food for she and Carl had eaten very little since leaving Winchester a day and a half before.

“When are we returning to Winchester?” She asked; mainly to alert the pair to her presence but also to prepare for the journey.

“Tomorrow,” Carl replied. “We’ve only got four days before the deadline.”

“Why d’you have to meet Ethelred’s deadline? Why don’t you just send a secret message to your companions and just sail away taking your whole fleet and army with you?”

Drustina smiled then sighed.

“Three things young lady; firstly it’s mid winter and the seas are too rough for me in this condition. I could lose my baby.

Secondly, I don’t want to go through child-birth at sea, I know what parturition involves young lady and I want my healer on hand when my time comes. She’s the best I’ve ever met.

Thirdly, Carl tells me my men are scattered between Sotona and Winchester doing essential work on defences to the towns. It would take a couple of weeks to muster them all and Ethelred might take umbrage. At the moment we are allies and I want to keep it that way.”

They settled down to eat and shortly, Gisela appeared. She had been down in the market place when Carl and Symone had arrived. They talked at length about Ethelred’s summons but Drustina was adamant. She would marry Carl in the great Winchester church and shut the bigoted Christian bishops up once and for all. Her announcements elicited gasps of disapproval from the girls and a puzzled frown from Carl. He asked her.

“Why can’t we get married here in Cws? There’s a lovely little church with a beautiful Yew tree in the graveyard.”

“Why a yew tree Carl?” Drustina asked provocatively.

He hesitated uncertainly.

“Oh; it’s uuuuhhm traditional, well it is amongst Saxons; the yew tree represents longevity. They last for hundreds or even thousands of years.”

“That’s funny; we Celts have the same tradition but we take the oak to represent longevity. Is there an oak in the church-yard?”

“Dunno. I haven’t looked.”

“But you knew about the Yew tree. How.”

Carl went red and stared at the floor.

“All these new Christian churches get built on old religious sites. There’s always a yew tree.”

“Not always. Come on, own up, how did you know?”

Still crimsoning with embarrassment, Carl mumbled.

“I noticed last time I was here.”

“Oh. Thinking of marriage then were you? That was what, two months ago?”

“Nearer three, and no, I wasn’t thinking of marriage. I was regretting all that stuff if you must know. I was just wondering who’d want an ugly scarred old monster like me and the Yew tree seemed to be somehow mocking me. There were ribbons and offerings on the branches from some recent wedding and it just seemed too bitter a pill to swallow. I was almost tempted to cut the bloody thing down.”

“You’d have made a lot of enemies if you had.”

He nodded ruefully then replied.

“Good job I didn’t. We could get married there today and show the bigots in Winchester, your garland and ring.”

“Ring, don’t tell me you’re brought a ring, you are a schemer aren’t you!”

“No, I haven’t got a ring; we’d have to find one around here.”

“Not in Cws you won’t, everything was stolen by the Viking raids. Why do we need a ring anyway? That’s a Christian custom. If you want a ring, you’ll have to go to Winchester, there isn’t a goldsmith between here and there.”

Carl shrugged.

“I suppose we might as well go to Winchester then; though I don’t fancy submitting to that pious old wimp King Ethelred and his bloody bishops. Anyway, I don’t have enough money to buy a ring, well a gold one anyway, and what if there’s no gold in Winchester anyway. They say the silly coot has donated hoards of wealth to building this new church. He’s taxed everybody into poverty and all the bloody gold goes to pay for this bloody church. It’s a huge building. The only place you’ll find gold throughout the whole of Wessex is under the Bishop’s bloody bed.”

Drustina became angry.

“Are you telling me that he hasn’t rewarded you either? After all we did to save his kingdom!”

“He says he’s got no money. He used it all to pay for his own army and ships.”

“You mean he’s spent it all to try and buy his way into heaven.”

“That sounds likely, everybody has their price. Ethelred’s is this bloody great church he’s building. Wait until you see it.”

“Okay. Winchester it is but when we get there, you can tell Ethelred that I’m not getting married until we can sort out a ring.”

Carl frowned uncertainly.

“That could take days, weeks. His summons said the first month after the Solstice.”

“Well he’ll just have to wait. Pregnant women can be contrary creatures and I’ll lay it on thick, especially with the bishops.”

Carl smiled knowingly.

“You’ve got an ulterior motive haven’t you? Go on, explain.”

“If you must know, the only weapon ordinary women have against this monstrous one male god thing is the ability to create life. Even their supposedly all powerful god needed a woman to produce their prophet. Why wasn’t this supposedly all holy, Christ, prophet thingy created from dust like Adam. If their God did it once, why couldn’t he have done it a second time?
Anyway, we’re getting off the subject.

I’m going to use my pregnancy and birthing to drive home the point that women are absolutely vital to their very survival. Without women, they can’t exist! That makes women holier than men because only women can create life. By their own stupid stories it took a woman to create their prophet.”

“They say it’s the man’s seed that creates the life.” Carl replied provocatively

“So how come half the babies are women? Are you half woman?”

“Only you could answer that Dru. You are truly half and half.”

“Yes! I am, and that’s how I intend to stymie their bigoted prejudices towards women. The old beliefs respected women and acknowledged their vital role. This new faith is poison towards women. My duality gives me both views concerning the part of women and the part of men. I can tell them bluntly that they are wrong!”

Carl shrugged and grinned.

“Good luck Dru. You know what you’re up against. This Winchester bishop is as pig-headed and bigoted as Alviar was in Carthage.”

“Don’t remind me of him.” Drustina replied darkly as she took her leave and prepared for her bed.

~~ooo000ooo~~

The following morning they left early and the Angry Mermaid made easy work of the short passage. Drustina left the ship handling to Carl and her crew as she huddled in the bow-cuddy bundled up against the bitter cold. She simply peered out at the frozen shores as the icy wind drove the Mermaid up the Solanta to the busy port of Solanta. On arrival Drustina simply clutched her personal bag and watched as Carl, her sister Tara and her other companions saddled the horses and loaded the pack horses in preparation for the slow journey through the deep snow. Because Drustina was preoccupied with the now debilitating bump growing in her womb, Tara took Symone and Gisela under her wing in addition to Morgan and Amethyst, Drustina’s older twins. Carl assisted Drustina in mounting her beloved little mare Seripatese and eventually the party was ready to leave.

Whilst they had been saddling up, many recognisable faces appeared. On learning she had arrived in Sotona, many of Drustina’s warrior companions had downed their tools and stepped up to pay their respects by welcoming her to Wessex. When her followers realised that she was at last going to pay call on King Ethelred, most of her warriors decided to forgo their work and accompany their beloved leader to Winchester. The mood amongst them was celebratory when they learned she was at long last going to marry her popular lieutenant Carl. The feeling amongst the troops was that...

‘No leader of theirs was going to turn up at a king’s court without a proper escort as befitted her station.’

Despite it only being a score of miles it took a full two days for the heavily pregnant Drustina to struggle through the snow-drifts to reach Winchester. In that brief time, word had spread like wildfire amongst her followers and by the time she appeared at Winchester city walls, she had nearly five hundred men at her back. For a moment the city guard panicked and raised the alarm until Carl reassured them that the army at the lady’s back was simply her companions come to wish her well and celebrate their wedding. Eventually, Drustina, Carl and her immediate coterie of personal companions were allowed entry and invited to be guests of King Ethelred. Albeit by a nervous and reluctant king.
Ever mindful of her troops, Drustina refused to dismount and meet the king until her men were accommodated and protected from the bitter January nights. When this was done she held out her arms and Carl helped her off her mare. He grinned as he lowered her to the ground.

“By the gods Dru, he’s going to be a bonny baby. You weigh a ton!”

“Thanks Carl, just what a girl wants to hear.”

She reached up to lift her bag off the pommel frame and struggled to raise it clear. Carl saw her plight and reached over her shoulder to help her. When he hoisted the bag clear he was surprised at the weight.

“My god Dru, what the hell have you got in here?”

Drustina snatched the bag from his hand and snapped.

“Never you mind. You know never to look through a girl’s bag!”

Carl grinned and shrugged.

“Don’t tell me you’ve brought presents for that pious old fart. They’ll all end up in that grasping bishop’s pocket before the month is out.”

“No. I haven’t brought presents. There just a few essentials.”

“No hidden weapons I hope.”

“No. I bear my weapons openly just as you do, though much good they would do me with this bloody bump. Come on let’s go and meet this religious old coot!”

The pair were led through a short corridor to the king’s great hall while the rest of the party were directed to the guest apartments. Immediately Carl and Drustina entered the hall they spied the king in conversation with a man in lavish clerical gowns. Obviously he was the notorious bishop to whom the king seemed to pay inordinate attention. Without hesitation Drustina strode boldly up to the great throne with every intention of introducing herself. To her surprise two pikes-men crossed their pikes in front of her, clearly barring her advance. Drustina stopped and waited until the bishop turned to address her.

“It is customary to await the king’s pleasure before you approach.”

“It is customary to show respect to a queen holy-man and it is not customary to insult a guest.”

“You are not a guest! You were summoned by the king!”

Drustina’s eyes flashed with anger as she reached into her bag and brandished the letter she had received from Ethelred and seemingly written in his own had.

“This letter REQUESTS my attendance, it was no summons and besides, nobody summonses the Lioness of Carthage, I am a queen in my own right!”

So saying, she flung the letter at the feet of Ethelred and challenged him.

“Tell me that is your writing and your letter, otherwise I shall deem it a forgery!”

The bishop gasped as Ethelred bent to scoop up the letter.

“Your majesty, she has insulted you. You do not stoop to receive offerings!”

Drustina scoffed.

“I’ll bet he kneels to receive your worthless blessings!”

“How dare you insult the king!”

“How dare he insult me. I have travelled nearly two days through snow a yard deep and he has yet to address me or welcome me.
What sort of royal welcome is this? Especially to those who saved his kingdom.”

Drustina turned to the bishop and waved her hand dismissively.

“Leave us holy man. I will speak with the king not his satrap!”

“How dare you! I...”

“You’ll what? Put a spell on me or something. I’m not one of your superstitious sheep from your compliant flock of ignoramuses. You had best watch your step. Now leave!”

The bishop let out a gasp of rage as Drustina’s effrontery completely derailed his strategy. Even the two pike-men blinked and momentarily and slackened their grips on their pikes as Drustina turned again to address Ethelred before he or the bishop could regain the initiative.

“Well; your majesty, is it your custom to allow your guests to be insulted by your lackeys? Am I to receive no proper welcome?”

Ethelred shifted somewhat uncomfortably as he glanced towards his bishop. He had somehow arrived at the belief that the woman before him would be a compliant, frightened ‘victim’. A woman like most other Christian women, servile, submissive and afraid. His belief had been inculcated by the bishop’s repeated intimations and insinuations of women’s spiritual and moral inferiority. The bishop could see uncertainty creeping into Ethelred’s demeanour and he drew breath to speak. Before he could speak, Drustina turned on him.

“Are you still here?”

The bishop fumed and snapped angrily.

“You are behaving way above your station woman!”

“Which is?”

“It is not for you to question me! You do not question your spiritual guide! Know your place, you...

Before he could launch into his rant, Drustina interrupted softly.

“How can I be guided to my place, as you put it, if I don’t ask?”

The bishop’s impending tirade was stopped in its tracks by this simple question. The logic of her inquisition was cruel. It left
the bishop mouthing wordlessly and Drustina returned her gaze to Ethelred.

“Your majesty, you have to understand I am a queen in my own right. I expect to treat with my equals, not some bigoted, myopic bully. This holy man is the only man who has spoken so far. Why have you said nothing as yet; not even a word of welcome?”

Once again Ethelred shifted uncertainly and Drustina realised the man was almost entirely in thrall to the bishop. Fortunately, Drustina had recognised several of the Saxon Earls who had fought alongside her or at least fought in other theatres during the war to stop the Viking advance into Wessex and the South of Britannia. Notably she had espied Althred slipping into the great hall and secretly signal his support for her. It was apparent that the Saxon earls were tired of the Bishop’s dominion especially as his efforts to dominate the king had almost cost the Saxons their kingdom. She turned again to the Bishop.

“If you won’t leave us to treat privately, I will leave. If you try to stop me I will call upon my own supporters and others who have come to respect me through our successful despatch of the Viking threat. For the last time are you going to leave us?”

This time there was a murmur of agreement that rippled around the hall and the Bishop quickly sensed it. He huffed impotently and bowed to the king before stalking angrily through a side door to the newly built great church. A building that hugely surpassed the king’s modest palace in grandeur and presence.

Drustina turned again to address the king but after her first words, she realised she might as well have been addressing a statue. Without the Bishop to prompt him it was as if he had no mind of his own. It quickly became apparent that she would do better to address the earls whom she had already sensed were sick and tired of the Bishop’s pretensions and the consequent inordinate tax burden on their lands and incomes to pay for the grotesquely oversized church. Quickly she laid her cards upon the table and explained.

“Gentlemen, many of you already know that I am not a Christian though I have seen and learned more of Christianity than any man present. My companion Carl can vouch for that for he has travelled through much of the holy lands with me but by no means all. In those travels I have met both good and bad bishops, some cruel, some greedy, some honest, some compassionate but all were men. None were women. From my perspective, this is a serious shortcoming but worse than this is the view that this faith seems to have of women. It seems to hold the view that women are lesser mortals, less spiritual, less righteous and therefore less holy. Is this a view that you Saxon’s hold?”

There was a confused murmur of uncertainty around the hall and Drustina sensed she had resurrected old feelings of doubt and antipathy about the new faith for it had not yet gained an entrenched position throughout Wessex. Despite Ethelred’s ‘conversion’ there was still some resistance in communities where Saxon women still held status and nobility in their own right through the old beliefs. Beliefs that based their existence on the inexplicable miracles of life and the unique ability of women to produce it in their bellies. This single circumstance alone had always endowed women with a high value and consequent high status. Women held lands and estates in their own right and when they married, the retained the title to their lands, only releasing it to their husbands or children after death. If there were no sons, their lands went to their daughters upon the mother’s passing. In communities that had recently turned to the new Christian faith there had been much unrest and discontent when the incoming priests had tried by dint of literacy and paper to disenfranchise the women from their land entitlements, inheritance rights and consequent status. The passing of lands down to daughters if no sons had issued from a marriage, ensured that a Saxon’s children were assured of their inheritance and survival by dint of holding on to the family lands. The rule of Primo genitor did not exist until the Christian church arrived and even then it was resisted tooth and nail by many Saxon men as well as women. Inheritance rights were easier to protect and enforce if all children enjoyed equal inheritance rights. Additionally, sibling rivalry was reduced at a time when fratricide and sororicide were common.

All these issues and the contradiction thereof fostered by the new faith had served to create much unrest and discontent. Of late however, the Viking threat had in some part served to suppress the grumblings of discontent because of the necessity to unite in the face of the greater Viking danger. Now that the Viking threat had been negated largely by Drustina’s efforts, the other issues had resurfaced and the Bishop had been too pre-occupied with his grandiose church to notice their re-emergence. Drustina had inadvertently unearthed them whilst simultaneously and unwittingly creating a rallying point for the dissatisfied earls. Despite all this however the earls were also keen to see Drustina properly married because even in their old pagan traditions, marriage was a vital mechanism for ensuring inheritance and title rights for all that had titles and or land. Consequently, If Drustina wanted to win the total support of the earls, she would have to legitimise her forthcoming child and preferably before its birth.

After the Bishop had left in a sulk and Drustina had realised the king was too pre-occupied with his newfound faith to attend to the proper management of his kingdom, Drustina quickly realised that it was to the earls she would have to turn to further her ambitions to win back her beloved Lleyn. It was only when she addressed them that the marriage issue was explained to her. It was Althred who enlightened her and further explained the issue.

“So you see Dru, you had best get married if your child is to be rightfully ennobled and we all heartily concur with your choice of husband. Carl would be an eminently suitable partner and totally acceptable to we earls. In this issue, the king’s letter to you is correct in the old pagan customs and the new Christian canon law.”

“Is there a Yew tree and Oak and Ash trees in the new church yard?”

“There is, and there is also a Rowan so Celtic, Saxon and even Mercian rites will be honoured.”

“Mercian? What have the Mercians to do with our marriage?” Carl asked.

“We are forging tighter alliances with the Mercians now that the Viking threat is gone from Wessex and the south of Britannia. The Mercians have a border with the Vikings along the river Don. The Viking threat is still very real and they desperately wish to forge a strong alliance with us to deter the Vikings from their constant incursions south. Your future wife, ‘The Lioness of Carthage’, no less, is seen as a veritable chess-queen in any future battles with the Vikings and I think we can all agree, they’ll be back.”

Carl turned to Drustina who nodded resignedly.

“I’m afraid they will Carl. A Saxon treaty with the Mercians would be a sound move.” She turned then to the Earls. “But why must my wedding to Carl satisfy Mercian customs? I am Celt, he is Saxon surely our mutually agreed marriage is all that’s required.”
At this juncture Ethelred eventually found his voice.

“I’m afraid Lioness, we have already anticipated your marriage to Carl. It was the basis of your Marriage to Carl that persuaded the Mercians that we Saxons would make reliable allies to face the Vikings.”
Drustina wagged her head uncomprehendingly.

“Why on earth is that? Who am I to them? I’ve never even met a Mercian, well not knowingly anyway. What store do they hold by me?”

The king hesitated and looked abjectly towards his earls. Slowly he admitted the reason.

“Even before your defeat of the Vikings at Ynys Wit your exploits in rescuing the Friesian Queen Dalcimon’s Kingdom, your defeat of the Viking Fleet at the Godwin Sands and numerous other sagas had preceded you to Mercian ears. Your exploits are Legend my lady your fame is spread far. The Mercians held my military virtues to be nothing and this ineptitude was falsely translated to my earls. Then you turn up with your lifelong grudge towards the Vikings and you enable my earls to defeat the Vikings by dint of your battle expertise and boundless courage.

Your exploits on our behalf have been well noted by the Mercians and they now see us Saxons as worthy allies in their fight against the Vikings. It is you who has enabled this new mutual respect between Saxons and Mercians and it is therefore you who the Mercians would see properly ennobled and allied to us and them. Possibly even as a commander of our joint forces.”
Drustina was silently stunned at this priceless offer. Her mind raced as she contemplated having a huge Saxon-Mercian army at her back to chase the Vikings all the way home to Norway, or at least drive them out of Yorvik and bottle them up in Durham or someplace even further north, where they could never again threaten the peace of Britannia without first marching many miles south through hostile lands. Then she had a disturbing thought. She was Celtic. She voiced her thought.

“Your majesty, before you make such a tempting offer, I must remind you, I am a Celt. We Celts have issues with the Saxons and the Mercians for we have been driven far into the barren mountainous parts of Britannia by Saxon, Mercian, Dane and Viking. I myself was driven from my homeland on the far west of Cambria by the Vikings only a dozen years ago. Before I treat with yourselves and the Mercians, I would first ensure I am to recover my homeland and live out my days in peace if we finally defeat the Vikings.”

The King cast around his court of earls and a murmur of assent gave Drustina hope. He turned to her.

“I am told your land is called Lleyn, the northern peninsular of Western Cambria. It is a small land is it not?”

“Yes, tiny indeed,” Drustina confirmed, “but Cambria is also the land of the Brithonic Celts, I would be false to the rest of my people if I did not ensure the establishment and continuance of a secure and mutually agreed border for my own people, the Celts.”
Ethelred nodded slowly and Drustina relaxed.

‘'He might be a pious wimp, but at least he recognises other’s rights.' She mused. Ethelred then answered.

“I would have to treat with the Mercians because they touch upon Cambria at the great Roman fortress of Deva. They must also agree to a mutual border.”

“If they don’t your majesty, then the deal’s off.”

“That I recognise.” Ethelred agreed. “Now, if you have no more objections, might we make preparations for your marriage to Carl, this has to be a state occasion and the Mercians would truly wish to bear witness.”

Drustina smiled. She had moved forward hugely in her ambitions to recover her homeland and her marriage to Carl was what she had wanted for longer than she was prepared to admit... to anybody, including herself. She left the great hall with a joyous heart as Ethelred’s sister appeared to take her to the royal chambers to prepare for the feats celebrating Drustina’s arrival. As they left the great hall to the men, Drustina asked the royal Princess.

“Where’s Ethelred’s wife, the queen?”

“My brother is not married. He’s been hankering to marry the Mercian King’s sister who is a great beauty. If he does, he will unite the two nations and the Angles will then join our cause in fighting the Vikings.”

Drustina grinned as she silently considered the affairs of state that hung on royal marriages, not least her marriage to Carl.
That evening she arrived to join the feast only to find a depressed mood throughout the hall. She had been expecting a mood of celebration.

“So what’s wrong now?” She asked Ethelred.

“The bishop is what’s wrong. He is refusing to marry you unless your convert to Christianity.”

~~oo000oo~~

Gazette of Characters etc.

Mabina.... Ch 1 The youngest daughter and Twin to
Drustan.... Ch1 Her twin brother.
Grandpa Erin.... Ch1 The twin’s grandfather.
Giana.... Ch1 The twin’s grandmother.
Caderyn.... Ch1 The twin’s father.
Herenoie.... Ch1` The twin’s wise and beautiful mother.
Morgaran.... Ch1 The Twins oldest brother.
Aiofe.... Ch1 The twin’s oldest sister. Famous for her beauty.
Tara.... Ch1 The twin’s second oldest sister. Famous for her grace.
Feidlim.... Ch1 Twins aunt (Caderyns’ beautiful sister.)
Mogantu.... Ch1 Twins uncle (Married to Feidlim.) Chief of the Gangani tribe.
Brun.... Ch1 Twins 2nd cousin and the Acaman clans’ blacksmith.
Feorin.... Ch1 Twins second brother. Also training to be a blacksmith.
Rhun.... Ch 2 Feidlims’ son and Feorins’ favourite 1st Cousin. (Both red-heads.)
Arina.... Ch 4. Child of a Demetae fisherman, (rescued by the three siblings.)
Penderol.... Ch 6 Dumnonii Minor chief.
Udris.... Ch 6. Young Dumnonii warrior. Ch 6
Dryslwyn.... Ch 7 High chief of the whole Celtic nation. Dwells in Brithony. Ch 7
Bronlwyn.... Ch 7 Dryslwyn’s wife (and queen.)
Magab.... Ch 8 The moor who taught numbers.
Eric.... Ch 9 Saxon galley slave rescued from Corsair pirates.
Carl.... Ch 9 Another Saxon galley slave rescued by Drustan.
Torvel.... Ch 9 Celtic galley slave rescued from the same captured corsair ship
Arton.... Ch 7 Turdetani Chieftain Holder of Gibral Rock.
Carinia.... Ch7 Arton’s wife.
Isobel... . Ch 7 Arton’s adopted daughter.
Appotel.... Ch 9 King of the Turdetani Tribe. (Southern Iberia.)
Bramana.... Ch 9 Queen. (Wife of Appotel)
Pilus.... Ch 10 King of the Capetani.
Shaleen.... Ch 10 Pilus’s queen and sister to Bramana.
Pedoro.... Ch 10 Lord Marshal of the Southern border region.
Lady Shulaar.... Ch 10 Lord Pedoro’s wife.
Taan.... Ch 11 The scullery maid.
Isaar.... Ch 11 Pedoro’s oldest son.
Ferdie.... Ch 11 Pedoro’s 2nd son
Sular.... Ch 11 Pedoro’s 3rd son
Gontala.... Ch 11 Pedoro’s youngest son.
Shenoa.... Ch 11 Pedoro’s only daughter.
Portega.... Ch 14 Tyrant King to the west.
Portua.... Ch 14 Portega’s grandson.
Jubail.... Ch 15 An old Fisherman.
Mutas.... Ch 16 Magab’s younger brother and usurper.
Walezia.... Ch 18 King of Malta.
Alviar.... Ch 21 Megalomaniacal bishop of Carthage. (Hates Drustina.)
Ethelia.... Ch 21 Female healer who treats Drustina during her pregnancy.
Seripatese.... Ch 21 Drustina’s faithful horse.
Astos & Amitor.... Ch 26 Minor royalty who govern Alexandria. King and Twin Queen.
Meronee.... Ch 28 Nubian Queen of Nobatia The northern Kingdom of the Nubians.
Horam.... Ch 30 The Egyptian master Boat builder.
Muraa.... Ch 31 King Astos’s male partner.
Tuk.... Ch 35 Makurian general.
Fantu.... Ch 35 Makurian Captain.
Irene.... Ch 41 Emperor Leon’s only child.
Leon.... Ch 41 Byzantine Emperor.
Zano.... Ch 41 Byzantine general who defeats the Bulgars with Drustina’s help.
Oraxyis Ch 42 Supreme commander of the Bulgar forces.
Urthos.... Ch 46 The Gaul elected captain of the 4th ship. Ex Barbary galley slave.
Horus... . Ch 46 Horam the boat-builder’s son.
Sister Catherine.... Ch 47 Leader of the pirate nuns.
Bishop Craklow Ch 47 Archbishop of Warsaw.
Guthrun.... Ch 49 Jarl of Bornholm.
Etheline.... Ch 49 Guthruns’ wife the countess of Bornholm.
Capenda.... Ch 49 Taras’ mare.
Athun.... Gay king of Dark Age Denmark.
Queen Elthorn.... King Athuns’ Consort.
Iselda... . Athun and Brendigan’s, younger (middle) sister.
Heingist or Hengis..... Drustina’s loyal Danish pilot who becomes her 1st Mate
Brendigan..... Athun’s older sister and consort queen of Svenland.
Bjorn.... . The captain of the Palace Guard. King Athun’s gay partner.
Morgan and Amethyst..... Drustina’s twin children.
Dalcimon..... Queen of West Friesia.
Andrar..... Prince of West Friesia (Dalcimon’s son.)
Jupus..... Carl’s stallion.
Heliox..... Drustina’s second mate and deputy navigator (Ex Belgiie fisherman)
Gisela..... Viking princess captured after the Battle of Godwin Sands.
“Althred..... Young Saxon Naval commander who allies his fleet with Drustina
Symone.... Young teenaged rape victim who join’s Drustina’s band.
Edburg.... The Angry mermaid’s cook.
Harald Cold Blood.... Ch 69 The Viking King, father of Gisela

up
75 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Inheritance by women

What these bishops forget, is that the christian god JHWH established an explicit law in Numeri 27:7 for daughters to inherit their father. And this law was confirmed and expanded in Numeri 36. An later in Proverbs 31:16+24 a wise wife is said to buy and own land in her own right, as well as earn profits in commerce.

I hope these few references help to show that the so called "christian teachings" can run afoul of their own holy srciptures.

Disclosure: I grew up in a christian religious community, my parents tried to live according to their understanding of the bibel. I have been abused by many organized christian religions and left them, though I still study the bibel and try to guide my personal life by biblical principles. And I have agreed to disagree abreeably with others.

Jessica

Hi Jessica.

Like you Jessica, I try to live my life by biblical principles; for that I go roughly with the ten commandments. The only commandment I don't obey is the one about honouring one's father and one's mother. If you've never had a mother and father worthy of the name(at least for the crucial years) it's bloody impossible to honour them. otherwise I stick pretty much with the remaining nine. (And that includes the one about adultery... I'm celibate.)

As to the plethora of assorted faiths well, the less said the better.

Bevs.

bev_1.jpg

You are a merciless tease.

every time I see a new chapter posted I hurry to read it, only to find I am once again sitting on the edge of my seat clicking the refresh button waiting on the next chapter.

Good story! :)

Marrying Carl?

HMMM. Drustina is a Queen? Did she or did she not marry the King of Egypt to provide an heir to his throne, even though he did not prefer women. If the bishop gets wind that she married the King of Egypt then he will come after her as an adulterous. If she did not marry the King, then how does she claim to be a Queen. Please help unravel my confusion.

Your ever humble and loyal reader.

Barb.

Barb Allan

After her victories in Iberia.

Dam there might be a fly in the ointment here but there are two instances when Drustina turned down the lands associated with military victory.
Firstly after Drustan (The then boy's) victories in Iberia defeating the tyrant Portega, He/she was offered the kingdom of Portua but turned it down and handed the realm to her twin sister Mabina so that he/she could fulfil her promise to his/her older sister Morgana to deliver her safely to Carthage. The allies recognised his elevation to royalty even if the boy refused his realm.

In the second instance the Twins Astos and Amitor were brother and sister so despite being married under their ancient Phaeroic law, they could not be married under Christian law despite being joint king and queen. When Drustina went with Astos and conceived his child she would be deemed a queen firstly for bearing the heir to the Egyptian throne and secondly for marrying Astos to legitimise the child. By Bishop Celyn's own Christian laws, Astos wasn't and never could be married to his twin sister because of the strictures against incest. Furthermore, because he was gay he had never consummated the Phaeroic marriage with his sister. If Celyn wanted to challenge Drustina's marriage to Astos he would have to do it outside of Christian Canon law. That would eviscerate the very guts and bones of his arguments.

In the first instance Drustan refused both lands and title to Portua because he had a prior promise to fulfil. In the second instance, Drustina accepted the title of queen because she knew she had no intention of remaining in Egypt.
Bishop Celyn would be on very shaky ground challenging the 'Lioness of Carthage's titles, especially if he tried to do it via Archbishop Craklow. For the Archbishop/now Cardinal himself accepted Drustina's title without question after the work she had done clearing up the mess in Polanda.

Do you know, your comment has given me food for thought. This would make some excellent material for the forthcoming chapter where Bishop Celyn does try to prevent the marriage but is shocked to learn that Cardinal Craklow is an old friend of Drustina and Carl.

Thanks for your comment Babs.

Constructive criticism is always welcome. Thanks again.

Bevs.

bev_1.jpg

Re: After her victories in Iberia

If I remember correctly, Astos' marriage to Drustina was annulled around the time the twins were weaned.

She therefore would not be married at this point in the story and so would be free to marry Carl.