The Angry Mermaid 81 or Y Morforwyn Dicllon 81

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Elements: 

TG Themes: 

Permission: 

Chapter 81 addresses the issues Drustina faces when she finally decides to marry Carl.

King Ethelred wants her to marry as a Christian so as to sit properly with his new-found Christianity and the church in Wessex. The chapter explores the conflicts between Drustina and the Christian Bishop Celyn who objects to Drustina's Satanic duality and her paganism. Only the intervention by the visiting Papal emissary Cardinal Craklow surmounts Bishop Celyn's resistance.

In allowing for Drustina's Pagan beliefs to be accommodated within a Christian marriage ceremony, Cardinal Craklow lays down the foundations of the church's future expedient accommodations with paganism whilst striving to spread their gospel. Such accommodations are illustrated by the incorporating of pagan festivals like midwinter solstice with Christmas and Vernal equinox (Spring plantings,) with Easter. This festival changed later with the advent of the Gregorian calendar.

The Angry Mermaid 81

Or

Y Morforwyn Dicllon 81.

The room seemed brilliantly lit when Drustina stirred at the crack of dawn. She frowned uncomprehendingly until she realised Carl was already up and he had eased back the heavy leather hide that hung in front of the shutters, then he had opened the shutters. Even though the sun had only just risen, the brilliant light in the room was the reflection from the deep snow outside. Drustina growled.

“Dammit Carl, close the bloody shutters, it’s cold enough without you letting the icy wind in.”

Her curse wakened Sister Catherine who eased open her eyes, peered at the painfully harsh light and promptly snuggled back tight into the blanket. Carl studied the pair and grinned.

“You’d better get up now, if you expect to reach Winchester today.”

“Whaddya’ mean?” Growled Drustina who still resented the icy wakening.

“It’ll take you all day to do the twenty miles in this; come and look!”

Drustina groaned then stumbled sleepily to the window and cursed as the brilliant whiteness dazzled her unaccustomed eyes.

“Damn! How can so much snow fall in one night? D’you think we should wait a day or so?”

“Dunno’ it’s not thawing so this’ll hang around for some time. More could fall as well before it thaws. At least the weather is clear for now, not a cloud in the sky.”

“It’ll be stupid to travel in this. All the road markers will be buried.”

“At least we’ll be able to see the land features. We’ll be on horse-back so no carts to get bogged down. I think we should try today, there’s no knowing when we’ll get another day like this.” Carl mused “Talking of carts, d’you think the Cardinal made it?”

Drustina yawned provocatively and her chemise slipped down to reveal swelling breasts. Carl’s eyes widened appreciatively and he smiled. Sister Catherine caught him looking but recognised there was no predation or undue lust in Carl’s eyes. He had after all, just spent a celibate night with The Lioness. Sister Catherine only wished she could have found a man like that in her youth.

“They’ll be in a right fix if they’re stuck in this.” Drustina added. “With carts, it’s quite likely.”

“If they are, it’s their fault. They should have waited.” Carl huffed,

“Steady on Darling, Cardinal Craklow was in a hurry and nobody could have predicted this. It’s three feet deep out there.”

“Bishop Celyn was stupid and reckless. He should have waited.”

“Yes, we get the message darling but it’s not the Bishop I’m worried about. “ Drustina continued. “Cardinal Craklow isn’t a young man and if he’s stuck out in this, he could freeze. I think we’d better start out and check they got to Winchester.”

Carl sighed resignedly. The last thing either he or Drustina wanted was for the Cardinal to perish.

“Aayee. I suppose you’re right. Come on, let’s get to it. Will you be coming Sister?”

“Try and stop me. I want to be there for your wedding even if the snow is twenty feet deep.”

“Well first we’ll eat then get organised. We’d better take spare horses.”

Within an hour word had spread that Drustina’s party were travelling to Winchester and several others who had business there asked to join their group. Then, as they were stepping through the city gates of Sotona, a drover with some herdsmen appeared with two score of cattle.

“I was scheduled to deliver these beasts to the city, the meat market is running low, I would be grateful if you would let me accompany you to Winchester. The more we are, the safer it is.”

At first Drustina and Carl were reluctant to travel with slow moving, plodding cattle but several of the other travellers were keen.

They explained that the cattle would make short work of the deep snow and she relented after seeing how the heavy cattle bulldozed their way through the belly deep snow. By the time they had left the city walls behind them their party numbered a dozen of Drustina’s guards, Drustina Carl and Sister Catherine, a dozen town’s-people and traders, six drovers and two score of cattle. All importantly, all the humans were mounted.

At midday they had covered ten miles at only two or three miles per hour but importantly, the cattle were trampling down the snow so that the horses were not being over-worked. Drustina watched with mounting gratitude as the drovers demonstrated their skills and navigational knowledge for they never once strayed far from the road that they travelled it regularly. All importantly, each drover had three mounts which he worked alternately so as not to tire his animals.

Working their horses through the deep, pristine snow to drive and constantly gather the cattle was exhausting for their horses. Drustina watched with satisfied admiration as she chewed on some bread and cheese.

Half way through the afternoon Drustina and Carl were not surprised to come upon the Cardinal’s baggage train making very heavy work of the deep snow. The horses and men were exhausted from hauling the carts through snow three or four feet deep. At the head of the column, they met up again with Bishop Celyn’s coach and a very tired looking Cardinal. A freezing night and repeated efforts to free the coach from deep snow or ruts under the snow had left everybody exhausted. Cardinal Craklow looked haggard and grey with fatigue. He was deeply relieved and grateful when the Drovers cattle overtook them and left a deep canyon through the snow for everybody to follow. Furthermore Drustina’s party were able to attach their spare horses to the coach and carts to speed the Cardinals progress. Their speed upped from half a mile per hour crawl to the two mile per hour plod of the cattle but this was enough to ensure arrival before nightfall in Winchester. It was a very relieved Cardinal who had once again to thank Drustina for getting him out of a hole.

“Another night in that cold would have killed me.” The cardinal confessed to Drustina as the Cardinal glared angrily at Bishop Celyn’s unsuspecting back. “The man was bloody fool to have attempted this journey.”

“He was a fool to try it with carts.” Carl added. “The drovers have taught us a thing or two. Plenty of spare mounts and a herd of heavy plodding cattle. They just smash their way through the snow.”

Cardinal Craklow nodded agreement before he finally separated to go and introduce himself to King Ethelred. As he departed Drustina turned to Carl.

“He can’t blame the bishop for being delayed by the carts; Celyn did try and get him to go ahead on horse-back. Cardinal Craklow was impatient to get his baggage to Winchester.”

Carl grinned.

“You know that Darling, and I know that; but don’t let’s antagonise the Cardinal by reminding him that he insisted in staying with his baggage train. Maybe he’s got valuables in his bags.”

“Yeah,” Drustina smiled, “and Celyn’s too sycophantic to contradict his boss.”Come on, let’s away to our lodgings at the palace. I’m bloody starving and cold.”

Ethelred was busy welcoming the Cardinal so Carl and Drustina invited Catherine to eat with them in their rooms. They were enjoying a quiet meal when there was a knock on the door. A servant informed them.

“The king requests that you attend him in his chambers, Cardinal Craklow is with him.”

Carl and Drustina glanced at each other and shrugged as they excused themselves from Sister Catherine. In the royal chambers they were invited to take seats by the large welcoming fire. King Ethelred smiled with mock censure.

“You’ve been keeping secrets from me young lady.”

Drustina smiled back and chuckled.

“Oh, so you’ve met my old friend Cardinal Craklow.”

The Cardinal had a huge grin for he had just relished telling Ethelred of their friendship going back some years to Polanda.

“That was very naughty of you. You know how much I’ve been fretting.”

“I thought it would be a nice surprise for you and I thought I’d let Cardinal Craklow enjoy telling you. Anyway, I don’t like to name-drop.”

Cardinal Craklow let out a belly laugh.

“YOU name drop! Ha, ha! Heck Drustina, you are the Lioness of Carthage! It’s me that would be name-dropping if I mentioned your name as a friend. You know perfectly well your name is known through all of Europe! I was shocked when Ethelred revealed he knew so little about you.”

“Well Wessex has been under virtual siege by the Vikings these past few years. Wessex and Mercia have been at war with Harald Cold Blood for nearly a decade. Hey haven’t received much news.”

“Well indeed, I must confess, Coldblood’s name has caused concern even unto Rome itself. You have done a miracle to stop him in his tracks. For that the church is truly grateful. I am told you even have one of his daughters as prisoner.”

“Guest more like. She attends my lodgings in Sotona.”

“And she hasn’t tried to escape. You must treat her well.”

“I treat all my people well, or I try to. She was hard done by her father. He wanted her wedded to one of his premier Jarls to provide a grandson. He has no sons and he wants a boy to be king when he’s gone.”

“My God Drustina. You have a priceless bargaining chip there my lady. Does Coldblood know you have her?”

“I don’t know. I wouldn’t trade her anyway. She is not some chattel to be bought and sold or used and abused. She is a royal princess in her own right and a brave one at that. I might add, she doesn’t think much of her father or her own people. She’s seen the destruction and cruelty caused by her father’s armies.”

“Yes,” the Cardinal nodded, “I’ve heard they are cruel and destructive.”

Drustina wagged her head in disagreement as she invited Carl to comment.

“They are no more so than most other armies are they Carl?”

“No. The Bulgars were every bit as cruel as were the Corsairs of the Barbary Coast.”

To emphasise his words, Carl lowered the shirt from his shoulders to reveal the ghastly scars of the slave masters lash.

“These are the scars of the Barbary oar-galleys. I was chained to the oars. I know whereof I speak, as does my leader. It is thanks to her, I was set free otherwise I’d be dead now.”

“Your leader!” Cardinal Craklow frowned. “If you are to be wed, you would be expected to be her master!”

Carl’s eyes flashed their clear disagreement.

“No way, the best I can be is her equal and that is but an opinion. Dru is my leader and my companion. We have been through too much together. When we marry, it is as equals but she is the one I will always turn to for advice and companionship. There is none who have more to offer than her. I am sorry if Drustina and I differ with your faith on this Cardinal, but that’s how it is. If you are to marry us then it is as equals.”

The Cardinal sat silent for a moment. The situation had never arisen before where the woman was a famous warrior and leader. A queen in her own right; a title earned by right of conquest and endowed by sovereign monarchs from far, far away. It seemed that truly, the Christian marriage rites were inadequate to address the exceptional circumstances. He decided that the special circumstances were sufficient for him to formulate a special contract of marriage and make his explanations to the Pope when and if he returned to Rome. While the Vikings were still a force to be avoided, there was still a very real risk to travelling by ship in the northern seas and Britannia was still an Island, not yet wholly converted to the faith, nor yet secure in military terms. It behoved the Cardinal to keep the Lioness sweet for she was one of the few forces for peace and stability in what were still very turbulent times.

Like many men for whom power and authority sat heavily, political expediency outweighed his official feelings as a man of faith. More importantly, Cardinal Craklow actually liked the Lioness. She was excellent company with a lively mind and stories enough to while away a whole winter of dark tedious nights. He arrived at his decision.

‘He would marry the pair for it was important to keep them onside. His first priority and duty was to convert the whole island to the faith, then address other issues. That however, would probably be long after he had passed.’

“Yes, I understand you now Carl. I will therefore marry you. All I ask is that you promise to remain faithful only to each other until death parts you. Are you happy with that Lioness?”

“More than happy. Thank you.”

King Ethelred let out a deep sigh of relief.

“Well thank God for that. Now to other matters of state. Consecration of our new church and my marriage to Sonala the Mercian Princess.”

Drustina and Carl smiled politely and asked to be excused. Drustina’s baby lay heavy in her womb and she was tired after a day in the frozen saddle. Both King and Cardinal jumped to their feet as she rose to leave. Carl noted with some satisfaction that both men were respectful of her double status as a feared warrior queen and a pregnant mother. They returned to their apartments where Catherine and Carl chatted by the fire while Drustina stripped and crawled into bed; grateful to be able to rest her back and aching legs.

For the next few days the pair had little to do. Carl simply loafed about in his apartments or helped out by clearing snow. Drustina usually slipped down into the city or visited the great church to wonder at the vast waste of money Ethelred had spent on its construction. Ethelred and the churchmen were busy preparing to consecrate the new great church while the rest of the city got on with the problems caused by the deep snow. As Drustina picked and plodded her cautious way about the city, she asked herself why Ethelred hadn’t spent the money repairing the old Roman roads. However, she kept her opinions to herself but everywhere she heard people complaining about the mud and filth. Each day she returned splattered in dirt and eventually Carl asked her why she went into the city.

“I just like going,” Drustina lied.

“Well just look at you. Your boots are a mess and your clothes are smattered with just about every imaginable dirt you can think of. You get your meals supplied by the Palace, why d’you go there?”

“Well if you must know, I’m getting a wedding gown made and you are not allowed to see it. It’s an old Celtic tradition.”

“Oh is that all?! It’s a Saxon tradition as well.”

“Right well you can’t come with me. It’s only a few more days and it’ll be finished.”

“Oh! I forgot to mention, Celyn was here while you were out; the Cardinal and Bishop Celyn have asked to see you tomorrow. Some loose ends to clear up before the wedding. Craklow is suggesting we marry about a week after the great church is consecrated. The first wedding under its huge roof.”

“Huh. I’d have thought Ethelred would have wanted that privilege. Big occasion and all that. Judging by the size of that place, Ethelred loves the big occasions and loud statements.”

“I suspect they want a trial run. His wedding will be huge state affair. I hope ours is just a simple ceremony just like the Pagan ones.”

“Yeah but with less booze and family rows.”

“Uuuuhhm, your forgetting one thing Dru.”

“Yeah, you don’t have to remind me, apart from Tara and the twins, I’ve got no family nearby. You haven’t heard anything about your sisters or brother have you?”

“Not yet. We’ll have to wait for the spring thaw before anybody is likely to come with any news. This bloody country virtually closes down in winter. “

“Except for church building it seems.”

“I wonder what these so called loose ends are. Come on, let’s go and eat.”

At the king’s table they found Ethelred in good humour. The great church was apparently finished and the consecration ceremony preparation was going apace. The ceremony and celebrations were fixed for the following Christian Sabbath. Ethelred however seemed more willing to talk to Drustina about her adventures. Now he had learned so much about them from Cardinal Craklow he wanted endless details from Drustina herself.

“The horse’s mouth as it were.” He grinned.

“More the lion’s mouth,” Carl replied, “or more correctly, lioness.”

“That’s enough darling,” Drustina scolded him gently, “it’ll sound as if we’re bragging.”

Ethelred however was not to be deterred.

“Well, your official title is ‘The Lioness of Carthage’ to name but one. Craklow has been telling me all about you. Even his Holiness the pope looks favourably upon you. When Craklow was elevated to Cardinal he had to tell the new pope all about you only because he’d met you and negotiated with you. That was unfair of you not to tell me you and he were friends.”

Drustina pouted uncertainly as she explained.

“I thought that if I told you, you would be under great pressure to take advantage of my friendship and perhaps press too hard. I wanted to sound him out first; make sure our friendship still endured.”

“Well it certainly does, he is very enamoured of your achievements. Why did you think he might no longer be your friend?”

“Times move your majesty. Politics change; whole countries change, popes change, kings change, most importantly, people change; sometimes because of victory or defeat in war, sometimes for political survival, sometimes for expediency. This I have learned and seen many times over. As often as not, ambition and jealousy destroy friendships.”

“Then they wouldn’t have been true friends in the first place.”

“Isn’t that the truth?!” Carl interjected.

“But Cardinal Craklow is your true friend, is he not?”

“I would like to think so. I’d be very disappointed if he proved not to be.”

“He told me that his knowing you advanced his career immensely when he was called to Rome. The new pope wanted to know all about you.”

“That’s the price of fame I suppose. People expect you to be some sort of goddess or miracle worker if they like you ... or they accuse you of being a witch; if they’re jealous.”

“I never realised your fame spread as far as the holy lands and even further.”

“My travels took me far and wide, I must admit. More an accident of political necessity that desire.”

“Do you realise you might be the only person in all Britannia who has been to the holy land.”

“I doubt it. There are missionaries going even now about Cambria, Hibernia and Scotia spreading your new faith. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them have been.”

“Well perhaps but I have you, here, now. I want you to tell me all about Jerusalem and Nazareth and Bethlehem.”

“Nazareth? Bethlehem? What’s so important about those places? They are but little villages but everybody was trying to tell me I must visit them. I did out of curiosity but I had no Christian interest either then or now. The places just seemed to be swarming with hawkers trying to sell me bits wood and all sorts of rubbish. It was a ghastly experience; everybody seemed to be on the make.”
Ethelred did a double take as he remembered Drustina was a pagan. She thought little of the messages of scriptures except that which she had garnished by using the bible as a travel reference book to find Jerusalem. The Wessex king was a little disappointed but he still wanted to hear of her travels and her battles. Thus was the evening spelt until the middle hour when Drustina protested that she wanted her bed. Her bump lay heavy and she was tired. Ethelred reluctantly conceded her protest and had the servant ladies attend her to bed.

~o0o~

After breakfast, Drustina and Carl attended upon the Cardinal at Bishop Celyn’s palace, a building almost as pretentious as Kind Ethelred’s.

“So Cardinal, what is it you wish to ask us about.” Carl wondered.

“It’s nothing to do with you,” Celyn replied, “the issues lie with the woman, or is it a man?”

“That’s uncalled for Bishop Celyn, everyone here can see she is with child.” Carl protested.

“How do we know the lump is truly a child. It might be an incubus spawned by Satan!”

“You’ll find out soon enough Bishop!” Drustina spoke softly but the resentment was clear. “The baby’s due in less than two months.

It should be a perfectly normal, healthy child. All my other babies are healthy.”

“Yes, well; that’s another issue. Those other children, are they legitimate or just bastards without a recognised father?”

“If I was not heavy with child, I’d run you through for that insult. Cardinal, are you going to let this oaf insult me?”

“They are fair questions Lioness, though I must agree, he puts them rudely. Celyn, I would caution you to be courteous to the lady.”

The bishop seethed under the Cardinal’s censure but he pressed the question another way.

“Do you know the fathers of your children.”

Drustina got angrier.

“Damn you! Yes I do, all of them except this one. “

“Why not that one?” Celyn pressed.

Drustina bluntly lied, but there was none to gainsay her.

“Because I was gang raped in The Havre when I was spying for the Saxon cause; things got a bit out of hand.. It could be any one of several Vikings. They took me by force.”

“If you are so good with that splendid sword you carry, why didn’t you use it to defend yourself?”

Drustina sighed impatiently then explained.

“I was there to learn information about the Viking plans, not sacrifice my life simply to kill a few Vikings. There was a greater priority!”

“So you sacrificed your honour, your respect, your right to be called a lady!” Celyn crowed, thinking he was winning the arguments.

“How do you conclude that. I allowed myself to be used.”

“So it wasn’t rape, you sold your services for information.”

“I used my body to trap them into divulging their secrets, that’s patriotism not prostitution! Nor was I paid in coin!”

“So you used satanic female wiles to seduce them like some evil witch. No Christian woman would allow herself to be an agent of Satan.”

“I am not a Christian woman. I am pagan. I don’t sell my body as you imply. I chose to use it to further the Saxon cause, Ethelred’s cause and indeed if I’m not mistaken, your cause!”

“Our cause!” Celyn almost screeched! “How can you claim to have furthered our cause?”

“I helped to stop the Viking advance southwards. Partly by learning their plans, partly by organising a defence based upon the knowledge I gained with my body! If the Vikings had won and invaded Wessex, your scrawny neck would have been the first to be severed! If saving your life is the devil’s work, then so be it. By your own words you admit to being an agent of this Satan thing of which you seem to be so afraid!”

“How so?” Celyn now found himself on the defensive.

“You are trying every way you can to condemn a pregnant woman who fought the enemies of your church and stopped them raping your womenfolk, killing your priests and pillaging your churches; not to mention burning your houses! If there is such a thing as this Satan spirit of whom you are so afraid, then his agents are the Vikings because they do his work and very well.”

Celyn fell silent as he marshalled his other arguments. The prostitution one had failed simply because Drustina had openly admitted she chose her sexual partners and her Pagan beliefs did not require her to marry those partners. She refused to bond herself into some sort of submissive servitude by a Christian ceremony that was tantamount to slavery. Celyn decided to question her other credentials.

“How did you become a queen?”

“By dint of conquest in battle in several different places. On several occasions I was offered the crown but turned the honour down. They insisted though that I accepted the title if not the monarchy and the country.”

“You’re saying you turned them down! D’you expect us to believe that?”

“Believe what you want. It’s all true, just ask the rulers of those countries today. Queen Mabina of Portua; my own twin sister no less. Queen Aiofe of Carthage, my oldest sister. Astos and Amitor; sister and brother rulers of Egypt! Meronee, queen of Nobatia, the Emperor Leon of Byzantium; the list goes on, do you want more?”

“You can’t prove any of that,” Celyn gloated. Where is your proof?”

“You can’t prove your accusations either. I can prove mine, given time but it would involve couriers going the length and breadth of Europa. Months! Years even before confirmation could be returned to this ... this inquisition. Are you prepared to wait years?”

“Of course not. There’s nobody who can provide proof! I say you are lying!”

Drustina shrugged, she was about to get angry but a rustle of movement from the cardinal’s throne caught her eye. She whipped her gaze towards him thinking Craklow might have some further charge but his words proved sweet music to her ears.

“Uuuuhhm, I afraid there is somebody who can provide some evidence to support her claim. Queen Mabina is certainly the queen of Portua and she was put on the throne by a victorious young Celtic warrior who refused the offer of that realm. But that warrior was a boy! The lady Mabina is now a Christian queen, her realm is but a month away by fast ship. If she is prepared to support Drustina’s claim, surely that is evidence enough.”

Drustina wagged her head with disgust. A month there and a month back would be too late. Her baby would be born before then or too damned close to call. Then she had a brainwave.

“I know somebody who can confirm that Mabina is my twin sister.”

“Who?” Celyn demanded.

“Udris the Celtic admiral who helped defeat the Vikings. He is but a week away at most, Dumnoniia or Brithony, he could be in either realm. He can confirm that I killed Blueface, he witnessed it. He can also confirm that my sisters are Queen Mabina, my twin and Queen Aiofe of Carthage, my older sister.”

“Would he be prepared to come here?” Craklow asked. “I’m thinking of the danger of the winter storms.”

“I have loyal officers who would be willing to brave the weather to either go and collect him or get him to write an affidavit. The mermaid class of ships are nothing if not seaworthy!”

Craklow nodded and turned to Celyn.

“Shall we suspend these questions until this matter is resolved?”

Celyn smirked dismissively.

“I have other questions yet your grace. There is the question of bigamy, there is the question of her gender; is she a man or a woman?!”

“I think the gender question is resolve Bishop, let it lie. The lady is obviously with child and the question of fatherhood is not a fair one to ask again. She’s answered that openly and honestly. Let it lie. Your mention of Bigamy is something I will hear.”

Celyn’s eyes glittered as he was convinced her had Drustina in a corner.

“You say that you conceived a child by the Egyptian Pharaoh Athos and that child is now the heir to the Pharoic throne.”

“I did.”

“For that child to be the legitimate heir, the parents must be legally wedded.”

Drustina nodded, “correct.”

“So you are not denying you are already wedded to this Egyptian pharaoh.”

“Correction,” Drustina smiled disarmingly, “was married. We got divorced by mutual agreement after our child was born or should I say more correctly, our twins were born.”

“The twins you have with you now?”

“No. Morgan and Amethyst were born to me earlier. Athos’s children were born by me later; they remain in Egypt as future monarchs.”

“Divorce is illegal unless the marriage is annulled by his holiness.”

“By your rules, perhaps, not by the Copts, that is the Egyptian Christians; nor by the pharaohs. Athos and I were married legally in Egypt and divorced legally. It’s your branch of Christianity that forbids divorce. I was a pagan then and I’m still a pagan.”

“So you are saying you didn’t swear to remain faithful to one another for life.”

“No. Our marriage was simply an agreement to produce a viable, healthy heir. The Pharoic bloodline was becoming weak and inbred. New blood was needed. Athos and his sister queen Amitor concluded I would be an ideal mother because of my martial skills. They wanted a strong child, and if I say it myself, they got one.”

“His sister queen!”

“Yes.”

“Are you saying they ruled as king and queen?”

Drustina nodded and shrugged.

“Yes.”

“But that would mean they were king and consort ... husband and wife.”

“Yes.”

“But that’s incest!”

“Yes.”

“But that’s illegal! It clearly states so in the bible!”

“The pharaohs were around long before the bible. They’ve been practicing incest for thousands of years. Long, long before they became Christians.”

“But what about inbreeding, weak children and what-have-you?”

“The king or the queen would marry another temporarily to strengthen the line. They know about the dangers of inbreeding.”

“But that means bigamy! If you married this King Athos, you were a bigamist!”

“No. Once again you are applying your rules where your writ does not sun. They are allowed to practice polygamy, though the second wife is rarely allowed to remain married after a child and heir is born. They divorce again. You see Bishop Celyn; you are trying to apply your rules to circumstances and countries way outside your jurisdiction.”

“But these are God’s rules!”

“Your god, not theirs ... or mine.”

“They are Christian.”

Drustina snorted.

“That’s a very loose term in Egypt. There adherence to Christianity is a lot looser than yours. As I said, they are Copts, not Catholics.”

“But if you are divorced, you cannot marry in our church, a catholic church!”

“By your own arguments you have just said that Athos and Amitor’s marriage was incestuous and therefore null and void. So by your definition I was legally married because Athos and Amitor were not legally married, by your rules, that is.”

“But you could not get divorced then.”

“Again that’s by your rules, not by theirs, or mine. Look, we are going around in circles. Am I to be married in this church or not?”

“These issues must be resolved.”

“Very well, send out your emissaries all around Europe, to far Cathay if you wish. It makes no difference to me. A marriage in this church is simply to legitimise my child in your eyes by your customs. To enable him to become a noble. It’s purely a political expediency to avert conflict between Ethelred and his people or me and your church. Carl and I can get married ‘neath the yew, oak and Ash and the Rowan berry tree'. It was good enough for our parents and it’s good enough for us.”

Cardinal Craklow stirred again. He realised it was in the church’s interest to get this couple married under some semblance of Christian doctrine if only to further advance Christianity into the premier position of ‘Established church’. His main aim was to use Drustina’s high profile to persuade others to convert. He also realised that he would have to seriously liberalise canon law in Britannia to get it by the Saxon and Mercian concepts of pagan equality for both men and women. It was obvious to everybody except Bishop Celyn that Drustina enjoyed her hard-won, high status and subsequent freedom far too much to ever forsake it. Carl and Drustina’s wedding vows would have to be ‘adjusted’ for political expediency and he would make his excuses to the pope when he returned to Rome. With these thoughts tormenting his brain and faith, he reluctantly intervened.

“I have heard enough arguments. I will retire to my chambers and deliberate at length. Good day my lady and gentlemen.”
Drustina nodded briefly whilst wearing a straight face, Celyn simply bowed his head irritably. It was obvious he felt his arguments were not yet finished so he hurried after the Cardinal.

Once out of earshot from Drustina he pleaded furiously.

“How can we marry them? If she has fathered a child by the Queen Meronee of Nobatia then she is a man and Carl cannot marry a man.”

The cardinal turned a little testily, “look Celyn, she has also born at least four children by two different men, one of whom was the Pharaoh. By your specious reasoning that also makes her a woman. Which is it to be?”

“She cannot be both or that would make the marriage a mockery. She must be judged!”

Cardinal Craklow snorted softly.

“Oh; by whom?”

Celyn hesitated as his mind raced.

“Uuuuhhm, well by us; us and the healers.”

“Well let’s start here and now. Drustina has both male and female parts. Apparently, they both work. The female parts certainly do and she produces normal children as far as I can see. Her twins Morgan and Amethyst appear normal in every respect. Ethelred’s nursemaids don’t mention any abnormalities and they help care for the pair. So where do we begin. The lioness is as God made her or him if you would have it but if that’s how God made her or him, who are we to say differently.”
Celyn felt he was on firmer ground here.

“I believe the devil made her.”

“So you’re trying to say that the Devil sent a warrior to fight on behalf of the holy church, to enable Christianity to make a toe-hold on this island. How would I explain that to King Ethelred who is but yesterday’s convert to the faith? How would he see it if the church tried to condemn the saviour of his realm, the warrior who led his navy and his army to victory?”

“You are putting political expediency before the holy scriptures. She is a monster and should not be allowed to marry!”
“So show me in the Holy Scriptures where it says a person who is as God made them should be executed.”

“She is an abomination, a total mistake. She is not as she should be!”

“I see you keep saying she and yet she has male parts as well. Now if you say she ... or he ... is a mistake, you are saying that Almighty God who we have to presume made her ... or him... made that mistake. Are you saying almighty God is fallible?”

“Of course not.”

“So are you saying the Devil made her, and sent her to fight for us?”

“No! Of course not! That would put the holy church in league with the very Devil!”

“So what are you saying? What concrete evidence do you have?”

“Concrete evidence for what?”

“Evidence she was created by the Devil. Evidence enough to prove it. Evidence enough to convince me there is cause enough to set the whole of Northern Europe alight with indignation and rage. This Lioness is known and liked from Scandia to Iberia, from Russ to Africa, from Britannia to the Holy land. Methinks Bishop Celyn that you are naive and parochial in your dealings with what are great affairs of state, affairs of huge import to whole of Christendom. It is not for a mere Bishop to foment such trouble for the church. I suggest you let the matter of her duality drop!

Oh, and furthermore; do not forget there are thousands of Saxon earls and their warriors all around us from here to Gaul! Do you think they would honestly let you or I kill their leader and heroine? She has their hearts and minds as no Pope or King or mere Cardinal ever could. We would not get five yards from your great church before we would be cut down like corn! Remember our hold on these Saxon souls is tenuous at best. Then of course, there is the matter of her own small army of battle-hardened, totally loyal companions who are garrisoned in Sotona, the only viable and totally safe port from which I and possibly you could depart in safety to Gaul. Again I hazard we would be killed there in Sotona if we somehow managed to escape the Saxon wrath here in Winchester.
No Celyn. Your entreaties here have only served to convince me that the church should marry the pair and be done with it. Provided the marriage service bears some semblance to a Christian union but accommodates things that they hold dear from their paganism and doesn’t directly contradict the scriptures, I’m going to go with marrying them, sooner, rather than later. That’s an end to it, my mind is made up. Tomorrow I declare this in the great hall.”

Bishop Celyn had other ideas.
~~ooo000ooo~~

Gazette of Characters etc.

Mabina.... Ch1 The youngest daughter and Twin to
Drustan.... Ch1 Her twin brother.
Grandpa Erin.... Ch1 The twin’s grandfather.
Giana.... Ch1 The twin’s grandmother.
Caderyn.... Ch1 The twin’s father.
Herenoie.... Ch1` The twin’s wise and beautiful mother.
Morgaran.... Ch1 The Twins oldest brother.
Aiofe.... Ch1The twin’s oldest sister. Famous for her beauty.
Tara.... Ch1The twin’s second oldest sister. Famous for her grace.
Feidlim.... Ch1 Twins aunt (Caderyns’ beautiful sister.)
Mogantu.... Ch1 Twins uncle (Married to Feidlim.) Chief of the Gangani tribe.
Brun.... Ch1Twins 2nd cousin and the Acaman clans’ blacksmith.
Feorin.... Ch1 Twins second brother. Also training to be a blacksmith.
Rhun.... Ch2 Feidlims’ son and Feorins’ favourite 1st Cousin. (Both red-heads.)
Arina.... Ch 4. Child of a Demetae fisherman, (rescued by the three siblings.)
Penderol.... Ch 6 Dumnonii Minor chief.
Udris.... Ch 6. Young Dumnonii warrior. Ch 6
Dryslwyn.... Ch 7 High chief of the whole Celtic nation. Dwells in Brithony. Ch 7
Bronlwyn.... Ch 7 Dryslwyn’s wife (and queen.)
Magab.... Ch 8 The moor who taught numbers.
Eric.... Ch 9 Saxon galley slave rescued from Corsair pirates.
Carl.... Ch 9 Another Saxon galley slave rescued by Drustan.
Torvel.... Ch 9 Celtic galley slave rescued from the same captured corsair ship
Arton.... Ch 7 Turdetani Chieftain Holder of Gibral Rock.
Carinia.... Ch7 Arton’s wife.
Isobel... . Ch 7 Arton’s adopted daughter.
Appotel.... Ch 9 King of the Turdetani Tribe. (Southern Iberia.)
Bramana.... Ch 9 Queen. (Wife of Appotel)
Pilus.... Ch 10 King of the Capetani.
Shaleen.... Ch 10 Pilus’s queen and sister to Bramana.
Pedoro.... Ch 10 Lord Marshal of the Southern border region.
Lady Shulaar.... Ch 10 Lord Pedoro’s wife.
Taan.... Ch 11 The scullery maid.
Isaar.... Ch 11 Pedoro’s oldest son.
Ferdie.... Ch 11 Pedoro’s 2nd son
Sular.... Ch 11 Pedoro’s 3rd son
Gontala.... Ch 11 Pedoro’s youngest son.
Shenoa.... Ch 11 Pedoro’s only daughter.
Portega.... Ch 14 Tyrant King to the west.
Portua.... Ch 14 Portega’s grandson.
Jubail.... Ch 15 An old Fisherman.
Mutas.... Ch 16 Magab’s younger brother and usurper.
Walezia.... Ch 18 King of Malta.
Alviar.... Ch 21 Megalomaniacal bishop of Carthage. (Hates Drustina.)
Ethelia.... Ch 21 Female healer who treats Drustina during her pregnancy.
Seripatese.... Ch 21 Drustina’s faithful horse.
Astos & Amitor.... Ch 26 Minor royalty who govern Alexandria. King and Twin Queen.
Meronee.... Ch 28 Nubian Queen of Nobatia The northern Kingdom of the Nubians.
Horam.... Ch 30 The Egyptian master Boat builder.
Muraa.... Ch 31 King Astos’s male partner.
Tuk.... Ch 35 Makurian general.
Fantu.... Ch 35 Makurian Captain.
Irene.... Ch 41 Emperor Leon’s only child.
Leon.... Ch 41 Byzantine Emperor.
Zano.... Ch 41 Byzantine general who defeats the Bulgars with Drustina’s help.
Oraxyis Ch 42 Supreme commander of the Bulgar forces.
Urthos.... Ch 46 The Gaul elected captain of the 4th ship. Ex Barbary galley slave.
Horus... . Ch 46 Horam the boat-builder’s son.
Sister Catherine.... Ch 47 Leader of the pirate nuns.
Bishop Craklow Ch 47 Archbishop of Warsaw, later Cardinal Craklow.
Guthrun.... Ch 49 Jarl of Bornholm.
Etheline.... Ch 49 Guthruns’ wife the countess of Bornholm.
Capenda.... Ch 49 Taras’ mare.
Athun.... Ch 52 Gay king of Dark Age Denmark.
Queen Elthorn.... Ch 52 King Athuns’ Consort.
Iselda... . Ch 55 Athun and Brendigan’s, younger (middle) sister.
Heingist or Hengis..... Ch 52 Drustina’s loyal Danish pilot who becomes her 1st Mate
Brendigan..... Ch 54 Athun’s older sister and consort queen of Svenland.
Bjorn.... . Ch 53 The captain of the Palace Guard. King Athun’s gay partner.
Morgan and Amethyst.....Ch 56 Drustina’s twin children.
Dalcimon..... Ch 62 Queen of West Friesia.
Andrar..... Ch 62 Prince of West Friesia (Dalcimon’s son.)
Harald Cold Blood.... Ch 63 The Viking King, father of Gisela
Jupus..... Carl’s stallion.
Heliox..... Drustina’s second mate and deputy navigator (Ex Belgiie fisherman)
Gisela..... Viking princess captured after the Battle of Godwin Sands.
“Althred..... Young Saxon Naval commander who allies his fleet with Drustina
Symone.... Young teenaged rape victim who join’s Drustina’s band.
Edburg.... The Angry mermaid’s cook.
Edrinor Ch 80. The Mercian King.
Princess Sonala Ch 80 Edrinor’s daughter
Celyn Ch 80 Saxon Bishop of Winchester.

up
107 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bishop Celyn

Too bad Bishop Celyn hasn't 'lost' his head yet. He and others like him are why I have forbidden my shadow from ever crossing a Christian church's threshold. The smell of blatant hypocrisy is too much to stomach.

Best,

DJ

When little kids

Become church leaders they put there pride before there fall. Celyn does not think with his big head . Because he would know a Lioness is just as deadly even when heavy with cub. Our Queen is more than a match for such a little petty child as this Bishop. I just hope for him he does not lose his head , small or large, over his sellective blindness.

His small head should not be much of a bother he is can always join a nunery.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif