Strange Water

Printer-friendly version

Strange Water
Copyright 2013 by Heather Rose Brown

In a post-apocalyptic world where water (not gasoline, as in Mad Max 2-The Road Warrior) is the most valuable resource, an apprentice finder discovers something incredibly strange.
-----------------------

A late afternoon breeze flitted around my robe, bringing with it the dry, sterile scent of sand and stone, as well as the musk of some hidden creature that had managed to find a way of surviving in the barren landscape. Just before the wind shifted, bringing back the stink of road weary travelers, I caught a whiff of something cool, inviting, and incredibly rare. I shot my hand in the air, signalling an all-stop.

A soldier who'd been following a little too close scrambled to avoid running me over as he said, "What's this idiot think he's doing?"

Seeker Marden struggled over a pile of loose rocks until he reached the front of the line, then gave the soldier a backhanded slap to the chest as he said, "Sargent Wilm, you will *not* speak that way to my apprentice." Before the soldier could respond, my teacher turned to me and asked, "What is it, Jared?"

Worried I might cause offense for finding something before the master seeker, I turned to him, briefly covering my forehead in respect as I said, "I may be mistaken, but I believe I've found ... water."

Sargent Wilm sputtered as he said, "W-water? The nearest oasis is at least four miles from here."

Seeker Marden seemed to be actively ignoring the soldier's comment when he patted my shoulder and said, "Good lad! I knew you had it in you. Can you give us a direction and distance?"

I beamed with pride at the compliment, although fear gnawed at the edges. I'd been in training for months, but this would be my first field test. I nodded my acceptance of the assignment, then squared my shoulders and stood tall. Even as an apprentice, it wouldn't do to show any self doubt.

After taking a few steps away from the group to get a cleaner scent, I pulled down my dust mask and began seeking. The wind shifted again, bringing with it a wondrous odor. I pointed towards a distant cluster of hills and said, "That way ... about an hours walk."

=-=-=

It had actually taken more like an hour and a half, but the occasional grumbling about going on such a long side trip was dropped when we reached the strangely flat top of one of the hills and saw a grey, featureless building in the center of the unnaturally smooth expanse.

One of our supply carriers stopped beside me and gasped. "It's an outpost ... a Martian outpost."

The Martians had once been colonists from Earth. After many years, when the colony became well established, they declared their independence. Rather than engaging in a staggeringly expensive interplanetary war to regain control, Earth decided to accept the declaration.

For a while, the two planets were on good terms. As the years passed in relative peace, the former colonists started complaining about the unfair exchange rates being set for something Earth had plenty of and Mars desperately needed: water. The newly formed Interplanetary Exchange Council of Earth ignored the accusations of unfair, inhumane treatment. That's when the Martians did the unimaginable.

They took half of Earth's water. This outpost was one of the things they'd used to do that.

I had my canteen nearly out of my robe and was about to take off at a run when my teacher blocked me with a long, thin arm as he said, "There's something ... strange about the water here."

I had left my mask down while seeking, which meant my nostrils were now clogged with the dust of travel. After discreetly clearing out what I could against my sleeve, I took in a deep breath. Despite the oppressive heat, I felt a chill in my bones. Hidden under the intoxicating damp scent I'd been following was a sour, metallic odor.

I hung my head, shame warming my face even more than the the setting sun against my back. "Master Seeker, if you will forgive me contradicting you, I think I may have just proven myself to be an idiot, if not more."

I felt a companionable smack between my shoulders, then turned and saw Sargent Wilm standing behind me. A grin spread across his stubbly face as he said, "Don't beat yourself up, kid. I've worked guard duty for more seekers than I can count. Just being able to find any kind of water at such a distance is pretty impressive."

Before I could think of a suitable way of thanking the soldier for the unexpected compliment, he turned to one of his men and said, "Private Bennin, break out your chem kit. I need you to find out what's up with the water our young seeker found. "

He took in the rest of us with a glance and said, "Everyone else can cool off in the shade of the outpost, but *don't* try finding a way inside. It's no secret what sort of traps the Martians set, and I'd like to end this trip with as many people as when we started ... preferably all in good shape, or at least the same shape as when we left."

=-=-=

That night, while listening to the embers of our campfire snap and pop, I stared up at millions of needle-sharp points of light pricking the velvety darkness above me as I thought about the argument Sargent Wilm had had with Seeker Marden.

It all started when Private Bennin had turned the corner to the shady side of the outpost. Even with his mask up, I could still see he was grinning as he said, "Congratulations, Seeker Jared."

I pushed away from the wall I'd been leaning against as I asked, "What are you talking about?"

"The well passed everything I could throw at it," he said as he unshouldered his kit and set it on the ground. "It looks like you may have found the source for a new oasis!"

Everyone forgot their fatigue for a moment and began hooting and cheering. That is, everyone except for the master seeker.

Seeker Marden waved his hand high above his head, commanding silence. Once we were all quiet, he walked up to the private and said, "There must be some mistake. Are you sure of your results?"

Private Bennin shrugged and said, "Well, I only had a travel kit, so it's-"

Sargent Wilm stomped over to the master seeker and cut off his subordinate's response as he asked, "Where do you get off implying one of my soldiers did anything but the most exemplary work?"

Seeker Marden gave the sergeant a stern look as he said, "Just because he's your husband doesn't mean he's infallible."

"How dare you!" shouted Sargent Wilm. "Never in all my years of service have I been so insulted. How could you imply I'd expect less than the best from any of my soldiers?"

"I spoke out of turn," the master seeker said as he tapped his brow. "Still, there *is* something wrong with that water. Nobody should touch it, let alone build an oasis around it."

The sergeant looked like he was about to give a scathing reply when Private Bennin touched his shoulder and said, "Begging your pardon, sir, but may I interject a thought?"

Sergeant Wilm's temper dialed down from about-to-tear-off-multiple-limbs to might-just-tear-off-one-small-limb as he turned to the soldier and said, "What is it, private?"

Private Bennin faltered under his superior's glare. "I ... ummm ... what I mean is ... uhhh ..."

"Spit it out, soldier." the sergeant said as his expression softened.

The private was silent for a second, then said in a steadier voice, "I just thought it might be important to mention that my chem kit, while designed detect just about any contaminant we know of, isn't completely exhaustive. If the master seeker says there's something wrong with the water, then perhaps it might be a good idea to consider it under quarantine until we can do more thorough testing?"

A corner of Sergeant Wilm's mouth creased in a way that might be mistaken for a smile as he said, "You've got a level head and a keen mind, Private Bennin. It's one of the reasons I keep you around."

A nearby soldier nudged another one with an elbow as she said in a loud whisper, "One of the reasons."

They both chuckled until the sergeant shouted, "That'll be enough!" He then turned to Master Marden and asked in a more normal voice, "Can you tell me what's wrong with the water?"

The seeker's brows crowded against each other, and the wrinkles on his forehead deepened. After a few moments, he said, "Do you remember what we saw a few years ago when we'd managed to break into an outpost and opened one of those ... vats?"

The sergeant bowed his head. There was a deep sadness in his gravelly voice as he said, "That poor, lost soul."

"Even though it's fainter here, I detect the same sort of odor as we found there."

Sergeant Wilm's head snapped up as he asked, "You're certain?"

The master seeker nodded as he said, "Absolutely."

"Okay," Sergeant Wilm said as he turned to the rest of us, "That well is *absolutely* off limits. I don't want anybody filling their canteens from it, taking a sip from it, touching it, sniffing it, or looking at it cross-eyed. Got it?"

=-=-=

I sighed with frustration when I thought of the order the sergeant had given, then began choking when acrid smoke drifted over me.

I struggled out of my covers and stumbled into the chilly night, both to avoid waking my traveling companions as well as to clear my lungs. Once the sting in my eyes faded, I wiped at the muddy mess made by the tears and dust on my cheeks, then looked around and realized where I'd wandered off to.

I was in the shadow of the outpost. Even though the moon was only peeking over the top edge of the wall, there was still enough light for me to see the well. Although nobody knew why, it was common knowledge that outside all Martian outposts, you would find at least one well. Why there was something strange about the water in this one was still a mystery.

As the breeze calmed, the stench of my own sweat and filth pooled around me. Such was the curse of all seekers. Along with the gift of being able to find water at great distances, they also suffered the ill effects of unpleasant odors. That's why they were one of the few who practiced something only the rich could afford to do, and only on special occasions.

Seekers bathed. Such practices would normally be thought a monstrous waste of water, but it was eventually considered acceptable for seekers ... so long as they proved they could find more water.

Despite the stink surrounding me, I could still smell the sweet scent coming from the well. It seemed to call to me. After taking a few steps closer, I looked down and saw stars shimmering in inky blackness. I dipped a bare foot over the edge and was surprised by the pleasant warmth.

I thought about what my teacher and the sergeant had said. While they might be right about the water not being safe to drink, there couldn't be any problem with taking a little dip ... right? Besides, it was my well. I found it. As a finder, didn't I have the right to use it? Plus, being clean would allow me to fulfill my duties more fully. Wouldn't it?

With such thoughts to bolster my courage, I looked around. Everyone appeared to be sleeping. Sargent Wilm and Private Bennin, who'd taken the first shift of guard duty, were probably still on the moonlit side of the outpost. While being out of sight of the party might not exactly be within protocol, who could begrudge them a little privacy while they watched the moon rise?

I shivered as I stripped off my grungy clothes, climbed into the well as quietly as possible, then panicked when I lost my grip and slipped into it's murky depths. It was then I remembered one of the other things that was common knowledge about Martian outposts ... how deep their wells were.

I flailed helplessly, searching for any kind of handhold, but found no purchase on the slippery walls. I tried doing what I'd heard people did to moved around in water once apon a time, but swishing my legs back and forth just made me twirl around. Not knowing what else to do, I kept at it anyway, which eventually resulted in my stomach ejecting a bitter lump of sludge into the stifling fluid swirling around me.

A few bubbles of air escaped with my dinner. I was about to give myself up to the rarest of deaths, drowning, when I noticed tingly, bubbly sensation all over. Although I couldn't tell for certain how fast I was moving in the unrelenting darkness, I definitely felt myself starting to rise. I gave kicking my feet another try and my efforts proved more effective this time.

My burning lungs took in an icy gulp of air when I broke the surface. I clung to the edge of the well, then screamed as I lost my grip. Just as my head dipped under the water, a couple of strong hands grabbed me by the wrists and pulled me out.

After struggling for my life, my limbs refused to move. I laid there panting, barely aware of the cold, gritty surface under me. Eventually, I found the strength to turn my head. Two shadowy faces were looking down at me.

I recognized the voice of Private Bennin as he said, "Oh gods, the poor things is stark naked."

I felt something drape over me. Despite the smell, I felt grateful what warmth it provided and managed to croak out something I hoped sounded like, "Thank you."

Sargent Wilm's voice was somewhere between pity and accusation as he said, "What the hell are you doing out here this time of night?"

Feeling more of my voice coming back, I said, "I needed a bath."

Both soldiers broke into laughter. The sargent recovered first, and said, "Where do you get off taking a bath?"

"I'm a seeker," I said, feeling both insulted and confused. "It is my right."

"Hold on there," the private said. "Making a claim like that could get you in serious trouble. We only have two seekers, and you don't look like either of them."

Thick fingers brushed something from my face with an unexpected gentleness as Sargent Wilm said, "Actually, she does look a little like the apprentice. Are you Jared's sister?"

My covering slid down as I struggled to prop myself on my elbows and said, "Sister?"

"Careful there," Private Bennin said. "Those may not do anything for me, but you could run into trouble if anybody else saw you half naked."

I looked down as he pulled the covering up my chest. A faint "Holy crap," slipped from my mouth as my numb arms slid out from under me. I barely felt the thump when my head bounced on something hard.

That bump seemed knock an almost unbelievable thought into my head: the water had done something to me.

It probably was a combination of the horror of realizing anyone, even the Martians, would be cruel enough to set a trap in a well, along with the shock of what I saw, not to mention nearly dying, that had pushed me too far.

As I drifted into unconsciousness, I thought, "It looks like I definitely found some pretty strange water."

up
177 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Stange water indeed...

Heath, you have the start of a good story and I wait to see how it unforlds.

Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Stealing water?

You know, I have a problem with the premise of the Martians stealing "half of the Earth's water."

First, that's an humongous amount of water. Incredible large. How did they carry it, that much and that fast? (To put it in perspective, this page estimates that draining the Earth's water through a portal ten meters in radius would take hundreds of thousands of years). Yes, they stole a planet's atmosphere in Spaceballs, but that was comedy.
Second, removing half the Earth's water would have a huge environmental impact. Ocean levels would drop, for one thing. And the removal of all that weight from the crust would likely trigger a number of earthquakes.
Third, and more importantly... why would they want to? Like Isaac Asimov argued in The Martian Way, there is a lot of water lying around the Solar System that is not at the bottom of a gravity well.

Well,

Extravagance's picture

Heather did mention a post-apocalyptic world. Perhaps there WERE loads of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions when half of the water disappeared.
On the other hand, that still doesn't explain HOW the Martians stole it. Furthermore I would imagine that anyone who could yoink half of Earth's water and get away with it before the Earthers could react, wouldn't need to.

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Sci Fi

I love reading science fiction stories, but it's kinda looking like I shouldn't try writing them. I just started with the idea of an Earth missing half its water. When I asked myself where the water went, I thought maybe somebody took it. I never even considered how hard that'd be to do. I sorta just skipped to the part where the water was gone. Sorry about that.

The science is mostly details,

Extravagance's picture

there's nothing wrong with the actual story. Don't let this discourage from writing further science fiction, just think it through more carefully and do your research next time. You can come up with a masterpiece if you put your mind to it. = )

Catfolk Pride.PNG

The_Why_not_detailing the How...

so the former Earthers now calling themselves Martians... after a long period of dependence on Earth for basic supplies for some reason - poor planning or some greedy megaCorp controlling things on Mars, now gain some Incredible Technological advantage.... Controllable Hyperspace Tunnelling perhaps.. Now journeys from Mars to other planets can be minutes instead of Months long with a Much Larger amount of cargo possible.
Why attack Earth using this New New UltraTech instead of visiting the asteroid belt for ice and minerals? Anger and Malice - Revenge !!!!!
Yes! (in)Human Nature messing things up...

"Those Earther Scum ! They Laughed when My Family Died in the Food Riots. Now they will know Terror and agony as the old Mother ... world Dies Now!!!!!
MuHahhhh!!! "
[Cue Music and FX.]

Mad Science Rulez !!!!!!!
errr or something like that....

So somewhere under the waves of the new inland sea lie the ruins of Hyperion Labs and its founder - a most brilliant
physicist who sadly due to the lack of water previously mentioned never did have a chance to learn how to swim...
*g*
Innocentia Splendia

That's so crazy, it just might work! ;)

Wow, I really like how you think! Maybe super tech could save this floundering story. I also like the idea of revenge/human nature being an explanation for why Martians would go to Earth for water instead of more readily available water in asteroids and other places. Sometimes it amazes me how often people (myself included) do things the hard way for really stupid reasons, or sometimes even no reason at all! :)

and the TG..

And as for some of the "Strange Waters"....

"Mars Needs Women"

*g* Gum Card set to follow.