Somewhere Else Entirely -93-

Printer-friendly version

The caravan enters the castle... and suspicious are aroused. But Trosanar's information is wrong, so the confrontation which results has an unexpected end. Later, Garia finds a way to educate the count, and discovers an unexpected ally.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

93 - Castle Tranidor


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2013 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Jaxen watched Tanon and Yarling as their wagons disappeared into the streets of Tranidor, then turned sharply at the junction and led the way through streets that rose as they approached the castle. Ahead, to the north, lay a typical gate with a tower over and crenellated walls to either side. Visible on the walls were men-at-arms in Trosanar's colors, spaced evenly along and holding either a crossbow or a man-high flaming torch. The wagons reached the gate and went under the wall, arriving at a wide open space, grassed, between the outer wall and another, even higher barrier. There were men lined out along this wall as well. Behind this second wall the castle itself could be seen, a large fortified house standing out from the point of the mountain where the valley of the Bray met that of the Palar.

Jaxen slipped alongside Keren. "Highness, I don't like this."

"I agree. Why would he put so many on the walls? To show me honor?" Keren came to an abrupt decision. "Circle the wagons. Make it look natural, as though we were making camp here."

"Highness, I deem the wagons would be left here in any event. But you are right."

A quick command, a startled glance from the lead wagoneer and a grim nod that showed recognition of the circumstances, and the wagons pulled off the access road, quickly forming the usual camp circle. Unlike the usual night stop, there was no attempt to put up the awnings or start a cooking fire. Most of the men gathered in the middle and dismounted, leaving a few facing outward at the front of each wagon. The fact that the dranakhs remained hitched in the shafts meant that the circle was big enough there was room for their frayen inside as well, although it was crowded. Garia was forcefully reminded of their situation after the battle when they awaited the return of the ptuvil and its mate.

Severel turned and saw what they had done, reined his beast round and made for the inner gate. Most of his men had either headed for that gate or stayed near the one through which they had all entered.

"Shit!" someone muttered. "Do you think this was a set up?"

Garia eyed the men along the walls, fully aware that they were within easy crossbow range.

Of course, that means that they are within our crossbow range as well.

As if that fact is going to be any help.

How many of there are there up there anyhow? Surely a two-bit count like Trosanar doesn't need all these men?

There was a confusion at the inner gate and a small group of men came hurrying across the grass to join them. Leading them was Trosanar, who Garia remembered from Gilbanar's conclave at Dekarran. As he reached a gap between a dranakh and the wagon in front Keren's men parted to allow him to enter. The count made a bow toward Keren.

"Your Highness! Forgive me, I expected you to follow my Quadrant into the inner ward." Trosanar looked around, seemingly disconcerted by the large number of uniformed men he faced. "So many of you! I did not think you had so large a party." He spotted Garia and did a double take. "Milady! I did not expect... to see a young girl like you bearing blades." He bowed again. "I trust you are well?"

"Well enough, my lord," she replied.

Trosanar turned to Keren, his expression one of confusion. "Highness, were you so beset in the wilderness that even the Baroness must needs go armed? I am pleased to see you safe returned and arrived here at my humble castle where you can be properly protected, as befits someone of your age and station."

"Rise, Trosanar," Keren said, and Trosanar finally took in the Prince's appearance. "It seems you have been misinformed about our company."

"Highness, I did not know you came this way, until I had the message from your father." He looked reproachful. "You did not stay with us on your journey north, or even come to call. We would have been delighted to receive you as befits your status."

Keren was not taken in by Trosanar's apparent concern for his welfare. "We had sufficient reasons of our own to conceal ourselves, Trosanar. And what of my status now? Am I to be threatened by your men-at-arms? Do you expect an immediate attack by those of Yod, perhaps? Your demonstration of force is unnecessary, we merely reside with you for a night, an honor guard would have been sufficient. Call them down from the walls, if you would."

"Ah, Highness, I sought merely to provide a befitting welcome for our next King. Will you and the Baroness walk with me, that I might share the hospitality of my home with you?"

Keren didn't answer but turned to Feteran. "Feteran! Count to twenty, and if the count has not issued commands for his men to leave the walls you may begin picking them off one by one."

Feteran saluted and turned to Stott, who began stringing his bow. Trosanar's eyes bulged. Keren turned a cold gaze on him.

"Do you think they would return fire, Trosanar? While you are yet stood in our midst? And if they fired on me, why, that would be treason, would it not? You thought I would arrive with but a few retainers, did you not? Why are your men really up there, Trosanar? Are you besieged by the people of the town? From what I have learned they would have good reason! Get your men off those walls!"

Trosanar turned in a panic. "Do it. Do it!" He turned back to Keren,trembling. "Forgive me, Highness, I did not mean to give offense."

Keren watched as orders were shouted to the gatehouses and from there to the men on the walls. He waited until the men-at-arms had begun to move toward the access points before he returned his attention to Trosanar.

The count's expression became oily. "Would you not consider returning inside with me, Highness? The night will soon turn cold."

Keren sniffed. "If this is the welcome I am given I would prefer to remain out here with my men. Besides, as you have lately discovered, count, we are too many for you. I know your treasury is hard-pressed, I would not wish to cause you unnecessary expense. I have learned that there are places in Tranidor which will provide hot food for travelers, we may take advantage of them. 'Take-away' food, I believe it is called."

Trosanar's expression showed what he thought of that idea. Attempting to split Keren and Garia, he turned to her and made an even bigger mistake.

"And you, milady. Should you and your women servants not join us within, away from these uncouth wagonmen?"

There was a sustained hiss as every single man except Keren drew his sword. Trosanar was shocked, he had never imagined such a thing. The front of his formal tights became wet. He looked wildly at Keren, who held up a placating hand.

"Easy! Easy, men. I am certain the count misspoke. I am certain he intended no slight to Lady Garia nor any insult to our worthy wagonmen. After all, without the wagons on Palarand's highways there would be no tolls for the count to collect, would there? Please, put your swords away." He looked at Trosanar. "You would not know, count, that milady knows every wagonman here and trusts them all completely. They have traveled with us throughout our journey. Indeed, some of these men are the very ones who first found Lady Garia in the southern mountains, all those months ago. You offer them abuse at your peril."

"Highness," Trosanar said miserably, "I did not know. Those wagonmen who accompany your party may be fine fellows but I have experience of others less worthy of the name." He lowered himself to one knee. "Highness, I abase myself. My castle and all who reside within are yours to command."

Standing beside Keren, the show of swords had totally taken Garia by surprise as well, almost driving her to her knees. The spontaneous demonstration by forty men that they would fight to the death for her was outside anything she could possibly have imagined. She sagged against Keren's arm.

Wow. Oh, wow. I am just not worthy of this!

Yet she knew that, deep inside, she understood why they had made the gesture. They believed in her, they trusted her, and no good-for-nothing count was going to prevent her giving her gifts to this world. Furthermore, she was a woman, a young one, and while she certainly had significant martial abilities of her own it was their business to protect and shield her, even it it meant that every single one of them died that evening doing just that.

But she also recognized the awful power it gave her and she shrank from it. She was not old enough or wise enough to be able to lead these men. Yet. She glimpsed the potential of the future and was terrified.

"Rise, Trosanar, rise! Your ignorance is excused." Keren noticed Garia's weight on his arm. "And you have distressed Lady Garia!" Now that Trosanar had ostensibly given in Keren felt relaxed enough to take control. "Lady Garia, her retinue and myself will partake of your hospitality, but we shall take our own men for our escort." Trosanar bobbed an agreement, he could do little else. Keren continued, "Jaxen, you may arrange the camp as you require. Feteran, post a strong guard about the wagons. Brazan, signal the town, if you would."

Brazan lifted the bugle to his lips and blew a rustic folk tune. An answering tune came from beyond the walls. Trosanar looked on, astonished. Keren gave him a cold smile.

"We had suspicions of your welcome, Trosanar, and made plans against you. Beyond the walls we may call upon every miner in Tranidor, should you have decided to break your oaths to Duke and King. They had orders to take your castle apart, stone by stone, should there be no signal this night."

Trosanar's face darkened at the mention of miners but he knew he was beaten. He bowed low again.

"Your Highness, I am your most humble servant. Please, enter my mansion and you will find nothing amiss."

The wagon containing the women's chests was wheeled out of the circle and those chosen to go into Trosanar's mansion followed on foot. They entered through the inner gate to find a narrow yard, with the house one side and on the other, buildings made against the inside of the wall. At the entrance to the mansion several women waited anxiously.

"My dear!" Trosanar greeted his wife with a fixed smile on his face, "Forgive us the delay, there has been some misunderstanding. His Highness joins us tonight, together with Lady Garia and her women servants. His Highness provides some of his own men as escort. The rest of his men will make camp in the outer ward, obtaining their own food from the town. Highness, Milady, I'm sure you recognize Lasalenne from when we attended the King at Dekarran."

Lasalenne's eyes narrowed at the dark stains on Trosanar's legs but she composed herself and curtseyed to Keren with a smile.

"Be welcome in our house, Highness," she said. "If I may ask you and your men to follow Norson he will show you where you may refresh yourselves while I will conduct Lady Garia and her women to their quarters for the night."

As Lasalenne led the women through the corridors she pointed out where they would be eating later.

"But I'm sure the first thing you all want is a tub of hot water, is it not? I notice your men trailing behind, they shall stand guard outside the doors to prevent any... accidents, shall we say." She gestured. "This is our guest wing, these will be your sleeping chambers. We have laid out two, we did not expect to see such a large number of women!" She frowned. "I do not remember... there were but four of you at Dekarran, were there not? Yet I see six here."

Garia smiled. If Trosanar was suspect there was no such feeling from his wife, unless she was a good actress.

"Our story is complicated, My Lady -"

"Just Lasalenne, please. There is no need for formality between us women, is there?"

"If you have no objection. I don't really understand the rules of precedence yet, I'm afraid. And you should call me Garia, then. It is a long story and two of these are new under-maids we took on in Blackstone." Garia remembered her manners. "Do you remember Lady Merizel? She is my secretary and is the daughter of Baron Kamodar of South Reach."

"I do, Garia! You're the one who played the dajan, are you not?"

"As you say, Lady Lasalenne," Merizel confirmed.

"Oh, no! You shall call me Lasalenne as Garia here does. I am but a baron's daughter like yourself. Do you know Baron Kentof of West Bridge? I deem he would have known your father."

Merizel thought. "Perhaps, Lasalenne. The name is familiar, of course, but I regret I had little to do with him myself."

"Ah. I have lived here in the north so long it is easy to forget how far apart such places in the Valley truly are."

Garia said, "And this is Senidet, who isn't actually one of my retinue at all but is traveling with us to Palarand to become my apprentice."

"Your apprentice? But..." She waved a hand. "Complicated, as you say, Garia. Here we are, you must all be in need of our facilities. Go in and make yourselves at home. There are two female servants who will do your bidding should you require anything."

"Thank you, Lasalenne." Garia looked into the two chambers. "We can manage in these two tonight, I think. Girls? Let's get ourselves cleaned up, we'll need to make ourselves presentable before..?"

"A modest banquet, Garia. I'll have your chests brought in from that wagon and placed in your chambers while you bathe. I will come and collect you all when it is time."

Lasalenne turned and walked off as Garia and the others followed the servants into the bathing chambers. When they emerged, in fluffy robes, it was to find their chests had been placed in the two sleeping chambers.

"They have mixed up all our chests, I think," Garia noted. "No matter, we'll only need to rummage in them for something to wear this evening, we can go between rooms if we have to. This one's yours, Merry."

"Aye, Garia. What sort of formality do you want to present tonight?"

"You're the expert here, Merry! What are we expecting?"

"Um, a 'modest banquet', Lasalenne said. That means he won't be inviting any of his barons to join us," she shrugged, "except maybe one or two who happened to be close by, I think. Keren will be in the seat of honor, so I suggest you make it as formal as possible. We want to present ourselves as being honorable noblewomen supporting Our Prince as fully as we can. Sashes, badges, everything." Merizel smirked. "I think you can leave the swords off for tonight."

Garia nodded. "Oh, right. Let's see... Jenet, where's my chest? I think I'll have the pale green evening gown tonight."

"I'll find it, milady."

Garia turned to Merizel. "That reminds me. Those swords, outside."

Merizel's face lit up. "Aye, Garia! Wasn't it marvellous? I have never seen such a thing."

"I was overwhelmed. The thought that all those men would do that for me -"

"Of course they would, Garia! You must know that you are the third most important person in the kingdom right now. Um, perhaps the fourth. Her Majesty would certainly dispute the rankings."

"Yes, but... that's not the point. That's a whole lot of responsibility I have to bear all of a sudden."

"All of a sudden? Have you been asleep all these weeks, girl? The men have been looking after you - us - ever since we left Dekarran. They are not going to let anything happen to you if they can possibly prevent it, and that includes Keren. He knows, more than anyone, what is at stake here. If he has to kick Trosanar in the face to get respect he'll do it."

"I wondered... he acted hard outside. Do you think they really wanted to trap us in this castle?"

Merizel looked shifty. "I'd rather not talk about that here, if you don't mind. Lanilla, you're holding that gown the wrong way round. Look, that's the front."

While they were putting the final touches to each other's outfits Lasalenne entered the room, looking disturbed. She approached Garia and bent down to whisper.

"Garia, do you have the ear of the Prince?"

"Of course, Lasalenne." She took note of the other's concern. "What is it?"

Lasalenne sighed. "He is my husband, and I love him dearly, but I fear he goes too far. He is foolish, weak... and fanciful. He will not achieve it, he has not the ability to rule his men, but he may be the cause of turmoil and distress if the Prince cannot rein him in." She took a breath. "He fancies himself Duke of Tranidor... and master of his own lands, not those of the King."

Merizel had joined in their huddle. "What's this?" she whispered. "Do you tell us he plots treason?"

Lasalenne grimaced, shaking her head. "He is not capable of the deed, Merizel, but imagines that one day he may make himself an independant duchy here in the north, with all Palarand's mineral wealth at his command. The new discoveries you have made in Blackstone, Garia, just add fuel to his fevered imaginings." Lasalenne realized what she had just said and smiled. "Fuel... so to speak." Her eyes pleaded with Garia. "Can you speak to the Prince? I would have my husband whole, even if he is no longer ruler of Tranidor. I would not wish his head removed, he is not right, these are merely fantasies but many others may suffer for his dreamings."

"Oh, wow. Lasalenne, we'll do what we can but I don't know if the count will give us any opportunity to talk this evening. You should know that Keren... uh, the Prince, is already angry because your husband tried to charge tolls at the new roadhouse on the Blackstone road. I'm not sure how he'll react if we tell him this."

"As you say, Garia, but if the news came from you he may react much better than if he learned of it another way." Her eyes were pleading again. "Save my husband, please, Garia. He is a silly little man with an exaggerated idea of his own importance but he doesn't deserve to die."

"Are we safe here? Do you have any idea if he intended to hold us? I think the Prince wondered if Trosanar would keep us hostage or something."

Lasalenne looked startled. "Oh! I never thought of that!" She considered briefly, then shook her head. "No, I don't think he would have the nerve to do that now, Garia. Not after receiving Robanar's decree. He would know that nothing in the world would stop the King coming here with troops and besieging the castle." She nodded positively. "Garia, I do not think he would delay you or the Prince now, not after what the Prince did outside." She gave a smile. "If we have a moment or two in private later, I would like to hear the details! But I am sure he would wait until you two left his lands before he thought again about his impossible plans."

Garia nodded agreement. "Then we'll do what we can, Lasalenne. Are we ready, girls? Then, with your permission, milady, we can go."

"Garia," Merizel intervened, "How's your temper this evening?"

Derailed, Garia turned to Merizel with a frown. "What?"

"Your temper... you know what happens about this time of month."

"Lady Merizel?" Lasalenne asked. "Of what do you speak?"

"Kalikan," Merizel explained. "Garia tends to become a little short-tempered at this time. She says she'll be starting tomorrow."

"Yeah," Garia agreed. "That's true, and of course I had forgotten it. I'm okay at the moment but it's a reminder to keep my cool during the meal tonight. Thank you, Merry."

There were sixteen people present in the main hall where they dined, mostly castle functionaries but including Trosanar's two sons and three daughters. Keren, as the highest status person present, had the seat of honor and the biggest chair. Trosanar sat to his left, and Lasalenne sat to his left. Garia, to her annoyance, sat opposite Trosanar with little opportunity to have a quiet word with Keren throughout the meal. Either side of her sat Trosanar's sons, one in his early twenties and one about two years younger. Merizel, as a noble's daughter, had a place at table and sat opposite Lasalenne. Seeing the setup Garia had Lanilla and Jasinet provide table service for herself and Merizel while she sent Jenet around the table to serve Keren. Feteran, as the senior military official of their party had a place at table but poor Senidet, being a mere daughter of a smith, was sent to eat with the women of the household in a separate dining chamber.

The meal was every bit as awkward as Garia had expected. Only Garia's party had forks and this provoked an embarrassed silence as the food was served. There was no point not using the tools once they had been revealed but every time they did they just emphasised how useful the things were, and Trosanar received several disgruntled looks from members of his own entourage. Fortunately the food itself was of good enough quality and the beer and wines excellent so that offset the poor atmosphere in the room.

Keren looked annoyed as the meal went on and Garia was sure that he would eventually start an argument with Trosanar, a confrontation which could quickly become deadly if tempers were to rise. Without any means to have a quiet word before they had been seated there had been no way to agree tactics so Garia desperately tried to think of a way to defuse the situation and at least hint to the Count that he was on dangerous ground.

Ah. Let me see if I can tell him a story.

"My Lord," she began as the meal drew to an end, "I have heard it said by many that the taxes in your lands are excessive."

Keren's face darkened but Garia held up a hand.

"Your Highness, I merely wish to tell a story, a tale of what happened in some lands near those of my birth when the taxes were thought to be too demanding."

Yeah, well, "near" is relative, isn't it? Anywhere on Earth has to be near compared to wherever I am now.

Keren relaxed slightly. Trosanar regarded Garia with apprehension.

"I'll keep this brief, my lords," she began, choosing her words with care. "The country is called France, and many years ago, about two hundred fifty or so, there was a grand and magnificent King of France, who thought that he was so magnificent he called himself the Sun King. This King wanted to show off his power so he decided to build himself a grand palace. This palace was so grand it had a thousand rooms and all the rooms were decorated with the finest goods and furnishings and everything was covered in gold leaf so that it all shone like the sun."

Trosanar was interested but sceptical. "You exaggerate surely, milady?"

Garia shook her head. "Not really, milord. I'm not sure about the exact number of rooms but essentially what I'm telling you is true. However, that's not the point of my story."

"Oh? Then continue, if you would."

"To pay for this palace, and all the other things this King wanted to do to show off his power and authority, he raised the taxes. He raised them so much the people got poorer and poorer but the King didn't realize because he was kept away from them by all his courtiers who told him exactly what he wanted to hear. In the end his people had enough of being taxed into the dirt. They rebelled against their King and got rid of him. In fact, they cut off his head and that of all his family and all of his nobles as well. To this day that country has no King."

Trosanar paled at that. He licked his lips. "So, milady, what ought that King have done instead?"

Garia shrugged. "I don't know, milord, this all happened two hundred fifty years ago and more. Customs were different then. But perhaps he ought to have listened a bit more closely to his people before making unreasonable demands of them."

"You think my demands are unreasonable, then?"

"I don't know, milord. I'm just passing through, remember. I have heard enough talk from miners," Trosanar's face darkened, "and travelers to know that something isn't right, and there might come a time when they will just stop paying the money to you."

"But the miners and travelers have no choice, milady. The ores are in my lands, the trade routes pass through my lands. They must pay whatever tolls I ask of them."

"My Lord, there is always a choice. Whether it is to find another trade route or to abandon the mine workings, there is always a choice. If the mines here are too rich for them to abandon, you may find that the miners will appeal to the King for relief. If you do not reach some agreement soon, the miners might decide to take matters into their own hands."

Trosanar turned to Keren. "Highness, you suggested outside that the miners might attack the castle. Was this not exaggeration? They would not do such a thing, surely, against the appointed authority?"

Keren let out a breath, wondering just what Garia had started. "You forget, count, that I am the appointed authority here. I did indeed give such instruction before we ever reached your walls. We were not sure of our welcome, such arrangements were necessary, but I do not believe milady speaks of such actions."

Trosanar spread his hands. "Your Highness, I admit to being clumsy in my welcome. We did not know the time of your arrival and so I though to light the walls to help you find your way."

Keren didn't buy the explanation at all. "Did you really need so many men, Trosanar? Do you need so many? Tranidor is a peaceful town and we have had no trouble from beyond the northern borders for many years now. Roughly counting those I saw on the walls I deem you have more men under arms than does the King himself! Do you have pretensions to something more, Trosanar? If you do then you are making a big mistake. Tell him, Garia."

Garia thought, then spoke. "Tranidor is essential to the future of Palarand, My Lord. The ores and coal that comes from these northern valleys will be what drives the new developments now taking place to the south. For this reason King Robanar would not tolerate anyone who thought to set himself up an independant duchy. Any suggestion of such an idea would be met immediately with deadly force."

Trosanar's eyes were round and Keren's expression wasn't much different. Whatever both had expected, neither had imagined she would voice such a thought so openly.

"That wasn't my original point, however," she continued, aware that Trosanar had understood her warning. "I was speaking of taxes... and revenue. My Lord, do you not yet realize that you may get more revenue by lowering taxes? It is a policy practised in my own country. If you make it cheaper for merchants to travel through Tranidor then it follows that more may wish to do so. If you levy less taxes on the miners, you will find them more willing to dig holes in your lands."

"I do not understand, milady," Trosanar said, shaking his head. "Are you then so knowledgeable about matters of coin and revenue? How is this so, for one so young?"

"It is our way," she replied. "I don't know the detail but every child knows the principles involved. In any case I think you are underestimating what is going to happen to Tranidor in the next few years. Once we start building up steel production Tranidor is going to grow rapidly in size, because it is where the coal and iron ore supplies meet. It is the obvious place to build the new blast furnaces. I would not be surprised if the town is four times the size in ten years. In time it will probably fill this valley from side to side. There will be so much traffic in and out you could charge less than a fenik per cart and still have enough to pay all your troops - which you probably won't need, anyway. You'll be spending your money building highways and railroads instead."

"You speak of matters unknown to me, milady."

"You were at Dekarran when Garia demonstrated her abilities?" Keren said sharply. "You met with Duke Gilbanar, did he not tell you what was to come? I attended some of those meetings myself, his message was plain."

"Highness, I must confess I did not understand much of what was said in those meetings. Much sounded like... fantasy." Trosanar gazed at Garia, realizing that whatever had been said, it was definitely not a fantasy.

"Then we must make it plain to you, Trosanar. Come, let your servants clear this table and we shall educate you about what is to come in your lands."

Trosanar wanted to take Keren off to his parlor but Keren wanted Garia there as well. Garia decided that she wanted Lasalenne present and Trosanar reluctantly agreed. The four settled themselves in the small, richly furnished room attended only by Jenet and Lasalenne's personal maid. Keren came straight to the point.

"Trosanar, you sent out Severel with instructions to station men at a roadhouse not in your lands, the men to demand coin from every wagon passing through. This is naked theft, Trosanar. How shall you answer?"

"Highness, I admit, I exceeded my authority. I sought merely to recover the costs associated with maintaining the highways."

Keren regarded him critically. "What costs? The Chaarn road, the Blackstone road, the Haligo road, they do not cross your lands, none of these are your concern. Why then should you levy tolls on wagons traveling by those roads only? I suggest to you that you are annoyed at seeing the wagons pass by your gates without obtaining their coin, is that not so?"

Trosanar bent his head. "Highness, it is so."

"Another matter. You have sought to prevent a wharf being built on lands in the lower Bray Vale for the transportation of coal. You have even threatened the people of a baron not vassal to you! All because you knew that no barge would pay you tolls in passing from the Bray to the Palar and thence downstream. This shall cease immediately. If I discover that you charge any person a different toll than any other to enter Tranidor then I will ask for your arraignment before the Court of Nobles."

Trosanar was pale. "As you command, Highness."

"Then we have the question of the miners. You will stop whatever it is you are doing, count, or I will ask the Duke Gilbanar to send a strong force to remove you from your seat. The ores they dig are too important to Palarand to make enemies of the miners. Do I make myself clear?"

"But, Highness, if I do not ask the taxes then my treasury will soon be empty."

"Then perhaps you should reduce the numbers of your men-at-arms to those required for your personal safety only, Trosanar. You are in no danger here, you do not need so many men. There is no threat from western nomads or bands of brigands any more."

"But, Highness, what of those who attacked you? Might more be roaming the countryside?"

"Those who attacked us did so at the instruction of Yod. They specifically target Lady Garia." Trosanar gulped as Keren continued, "The defence of Palarand from other Valley states is properly the concern of Brikant and you may be sure that they will be taking precautions now the danger is known."

"As you say, Highness."

Keren came to a decision. "Count Trosanar, I deem that the matters I put before you are too serious for me to judge, and you are not my vassal. Shall you accompany our party to Dekarran, there to plead your case before your own liege? I would require no restraint and you may take a file of your own men as your escort."

Trosanar bowed low. "As you command, Your Highness. But, who shall run Tranidor in my absence?"

"I shall write a warrant for your wife the countess to rule in your stead during your absence. Since we arrived here I have found her to be of good character and clear-headed. She runs your household, I doubt not that she can run your lands as easily."

"The countess?" Trosanar, startled, looked at his wife. "Highness, are you sure?"

Keren raised an eyebrow. "You doubt the abilities of your own wife, Trosanar? Perhaps you have looked for treasure in the wrong place, all these years. Do you not trust her?"

"Well, yes, but -"

"Then it is settled. Make arrangements for yourself and those who will travel with you, my lord. We will leave after breakfast and you know the journey, it is a long ride." Keren added, "Bring me parchment and reed. I will write immediately a warrant that nobody shall doubt Countess Lasalenne's authority while you are absent."

Trosanar bowed low again. "As you command, Highness."

A servant brought parchment, reed and ink and Keren wrote a short document which he then signed, sealed and handed to Lasalenne with a bow.

"Milady," he told her with a smile, "I trust that you will not declare war on any while your husband is away. We trust that you will govern your lands and your people wisely in the absence of your lord and husband. Do we ask too much of you?"

Lasalenne stood and curtseyed to Keren. "Your Highness, I have governed this household on my Lord's behalf these many years. I shall not fail you."

There was an awkward silence as Lasalenne sat down. Trosanar was still nominally in charge until he departed but for the moment he had withdrawn in the face of superior forces. He looked miserable and shrunken.

Garia decided to try and educate him. "Instead of telling you what you should not do, milord, perhaps we can tell you what you could do instead. There are many changes coming to Tranidor in the future. In a few years you could become very rich indeed."

Trosanar wanted anything at that moment to stop the Prince bringing out more charges. He turned to Garia.

"Then instruct me, milady."

She smiled at him. "Certainly, my lord. Do you have, by chance, a blackboard and chalk that I can use?"

~o~O~o~

Keren checked the corridor to make sure they could not be overheard. The only people in earshot were Feteran and Brazan, but he kept his voice low.

"How did you know?"

"Lasalenne told me while we were dressing for dinner. I couldn't tell you because we had no chance to speak, so I thought I'd make the point another way."

"It certainly got Trosanar thinking. It had me thinking. That tale of that palace, was that real, or something you thought up?"

"It was all real, Keren." Garia sighed. "It was called the French Revolution and it was extremely bloody. Many, many thousands of people died and it ended up with an emperor who tried to take over the whole world."

"Oh. One of those things you want us to avoid, I take it?"

"Absolutely! Oh, some good did come out of it but the cost was extremely high. What do you think Uncle Gil will do to Trosanar?"

"I'm not sure. But if you were right, and he was really threatening to break away from Palarand, he'll be lucky to escape with his life."

"Perhaps. I don't think he has the guts to go that far myself. See if you can have a quiet word with Lasalenne before we leave. She'll tell you what she told me."

"Aye, I will. She's quiet but sensible. I think she'll probably run Tranidor better than he did, don't you?"

Garia smiled. "I do, but then I might be biased. See you in the morning."

"Aye. I wish... but it will be impossible now. We must wait our chance."

"As you say. Good-night, Keren."

"Good-night to you, Garia."

up
390 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

As promised

This was as much as I had written before I went into hospital.

It was also intended to include the following morning, but on reflection (and I had a lot of time for reflection!) I decided that doing that would (a) delay posting and (b) double the size of the chapter.

Needless to say, their departure in the morning will be delayed.

Penny

How are YOU Penny?

Great chapter.

Loved how Garia and Keren seem to have defused a growing danger, the counts unrealistic ambitions.

I do worry that over the night he might reconsider position and do something stupid.

OR is there someone pulling the strings behind the scenes?

IE Is the count a puppet of someone else? Perhaps a court member isolating him and giving him bad advice much like happened to the King of France.

Seeing their chance at wealth and power slipping away that person/persons might try to kidnap Garia or kill the countess.

Get well Penny. We need to see this story complete and the ultimate questions answered.

IE WHY is Garia here and as important , what of her and Keren?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

As I wasn't expecting to see

As I wasn't expecting to see a post for another two weeks or so, I'm quite happy to see it at the length it is now.

Hope things get better for you shortly.

BW


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Welcome Back!!!!!

WELCOME BACK! You have been sorely missed. I hope you have good news about your recent illness.

DJ

thanks

i just wanted to let you know that i have enjoyed this story totally. Please get well. I miss the weekly posts, lol. just greedy
brandie

So Wonderful

to see more of this amazing story of yours, but please take it easy and don't push yourself.
Big hugs
Grover

Your back :}

We really missed your story! Well, that is very obvious I think lol!

I hope you are much better now and are able to continue your story without any mishaps in the future.

Stay well.

Vivien

Greed

terrynaut's picture

This chapter had much food for thought. Greed is most definitely not good. I don't need the reminder but I still enjoyed the chapter. I like Lasalenne. The count is lucky to have her. She really is his most valuable treasure. I hope he soon realizes it.

As for you, I hope you're feeling better. Please get well soon!

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Better late than...

Tanya Allan's picture

... welcome back. I certainly missed my regular fix, and I'm so pleased to get this one. I pray all goes well for you.

Tanya

There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!

Glad you're out of hospital;

Whatever it is that ailed you, I hope it's sorted now ... and a warm welcome back to BC as well.

Garia is learning diplomacy and tact as situations are thrust upon her. Fortunately she has her own planet's history to refer to when looking for inspiration and solutions.

Still enjoying this story Penny. Thanks.

Bevs.

bev_1.jpg

Speaking of Taxes ...

Please do not over tax yourself during your recovery. This episode was a pleasant surprise, and I will not look for another too soon, knowing of your circumstances somewhat.

If you had seen my bouncing and dancing with glee as I read this chapter with overflowing excitement, you might have called the plod or at least asked for some of the drink I was consuming. :)

Please take care of yourself.

Gwendolyn

Being away definitely did not lessen your storywriting

Hope you take care of yourself, health is really everything and this story is a bonus for us poor addicts :)

The story was blunter then I expected with regard of how they dealt with Transanor. I guess I expected a more subtle plot from a more subtle schemer instead of bumbling, cowardly man suffering from delusions of grandeur. I doubt his men respect him much behind his back I suspect.

Anyway, he is in pretty deep trouble but like his wife says, may very well avoid being executed for treason. In any case, Keren is learning to exercise his authority of being the third most powerful personage in the kingdom. This is more and more and indication of what an amazing team they will make when Garia and Keren finally rule. Given what a powerhouse Palarand will be, the rest of Alaesia won't know what hit them.

Edit: If it goes well for Transanor then Lasalanne will owe Garia a favor. Gather enough of such favors somehow from other Barons and she will gain some real power.

Kim

Now...

The real power in Tranidor has come forward. Nice twists on things there.

Maggie

Always Worth Waiting For

joannebarbarella's picture

Even if each chapter takes a little longer to post it doesn't diminish the enjoyment when it comes.

Your health obviously takes priority and everyone appreciates that, so take care of yourself so that we can continue to enjoy this wonderful saga.

Garia hasn't quite got her history right, although I appreciate that she was preaching a parable rather than giving a history lesson. The Sun King was Louis XIV and the French Revolution occurred during the reign of Louis XVI, about sixty or seventy years after he died. XVI was executed in 1793 or thereabouts.

Joanne

Big things come in little packages.

The Prince and Garia have become a potent pair. Sensing a problem and smoothy ironing it out all in one evening. Yes there is more to finish the deal properly But the uncle Gil will be pleased to inform Keren's father just how well Keren handled his responsibility to the crown. All things that a King in the making needs to be able to do. Garia is an indispensable part of this process of king making going on.

It is so good to see you posting again. But do not let our desires to read your works keep you from taking care of your self, We can wait you are not replaceable.

Bailie's misbehaving Faerie Huggles

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Pity Lasalenne asked Garia to

Pity Lasalenne asked Garia to save her husbands life, it is obvious he has a low view on women. Quite how she puts up with him is a mystery, maybe she see's his hidden good points.

I have no doubt Lasalenne will govern well in her husbands stead. Maybe she'll begin some of those changes immediately after his departure.

Great story Penny, I'm glad to see a new chapter posted. Hope you are well.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

I'm half expecting

I'm half expecting Gilbanar/Robanar to strip _him_ of his position, and give it to her.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Hehehe!

Trosanar's really been shown his place - he certainly hadn't counted on Garia and Karen being anything like what he thought. He definitely could not have predicted being put in a situation where he was that scared (the sword display), let alone finding his wife sanctioned as deputy ruler - an arrangment that may yet be made permanent. Even if it isn't, the grapevine will soon be buzzing with the news of Trosanar being hauled before Gil while his wife runs a significantly more popular administration.

As a bonus, courtesy of Garia and Keren's arrival, she didn't have to take extreme measures such as riding through the streets of town in her birthday suit... :D

(Sadly, although it's a great yarn, there's almost certainly no truth in the legend of Coventry's most famous noblewoman, since the first retellings came a few hundred years later - with the tale of Peeping Tom arriving a few hundred years after the original tale. Not that it's stopped the city making capital out of the legend.)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Thank you

Thank you for another chapter.
I hope that your health improves.

No kiss

They can’t be together so sad, I hope this business can be resolved without bloodshed.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Little Napoleon?

Jamie Lee's picture

Vision of grandeur by Trosanar have caused him to get his butt in one heck of a sling. Levying tolls at the roadhouse, which aren't on lands he oversees, high taxes, threatening others if the wharf is built, has all the earmarks of a little dictator in the making. And that will cause not only Gil to get angry but Robanar as well. Trosanar can not stand against those two or all who would be on their side. If Trosanar continued his little empire building on the peoples' back, he would soon find himself swing in the breeze.

Trosanar needed taught by Garia's story and her economic talk, less tax gets more coin. Every noble needs schooled on good economic policy, so that they too don't endanger their own lives.

Others have feelings too.