Carlie, Part 14

Printer-friendly version

Carlie has sissy predispositions, but overcomes difficulties with love, courage and increasing self-awareness. In this chapter, The Calm Before the Storm, Cindi takes Carlie shopping.

Carlie

XIV. The Calm Before the Storm

I debated whether to tell Cindi about her dad feeling my rear, but thought it was just possible that he was being inappropriately affectionate without meaning anything more. Her relationship with her parents was already bad enough without me adding fuel to the fire. Maybe I was just not used to how older men treated girls. In any event, I decided to hold my peace.

The town was not big enough to have anything approaching a Fifth Avenue or a Rodeo Drive, but it did have a few up-scale stores. One was Lucile’s Pour La Femme, a high end shop where the McCartneys had an account. Cindi’s mother always took her there when she was trying to make her “dress like an adult.” The result was the half rack of unworn dresses I’d seen in her closet. Still, Cindi knew my taste well enough to know that I’d like some of some of the dresses in the juniors department.

Neither of us were dressed for high-end dress shopping. Cindy was wearing bib front overalls and MJs with a pink Jacket and I was in Walmart jeans, Payless loafers and an androgynous jacket. I was a more than a bit uncomfortable, because I’d never shopped in a women’s wear store, let alone an exclusive one, and if I’d thought about it, I would have worn my best, not an outfit for watching football on TV. Also I’d spent no more time on my make up than I did for class.

When we walked in, Cindi was greeted by Denise. “Miss McCartney, how nice to see you again,” she said with apparent sincerity. “And this is?”

“My friend, Carlie.”

“And your father is treating your girlfriend to a dress and shoes?” Apparently, this was a regular thing for Dr. McCartney.

“Yes, he is.”

Just then, Miss Lucile, as her gold name tag proclaimed her, came up. “I’ll take care of these guests, Denise.” Denise looked a bit disappointed at the possible loss of her commission, but stood to one side. “I’m sorry, but I do not know your companion’s name, Miss McCartney?”

“Carlie Robinson. We’re looking for a cocktail dress for Carlie.”

“Of course. If you would take your jacket off Miss Robinson ...” Lucile passed my jacket to Denise who left to hang it up. She looked me over with an eye so practiced she had no need of a measuring tape. “I think you would like something flirty, but not too revealing. Am I right?” I nodded. “In a size 4?” That was the pattern size mommy used in making my everyday dresses, so I nodded again. “Let me show you three or four that I think you’ll just adore.”

Denise had returned and was standing by. “Denise, I think I can handle it from here. Thank you.” Denise left and returned to her station by the front door. “Let me show you to the fitting salon.” Cindy and I followed to the back of the store, where an ornate door opened onto a room that must have been 12’ by 15’. At one end was a sofa with a coffee table. At the other was a raised platform with mirrors. Below a Degas painting stood table with an assortment of drinks — hard and soft — and canapes. “Help your self and have a seat while I select some dresses for your consideration.”

I looked very nervous. I’d expected a little 3’ by 4’ cubical for me to change in and hide my secret, but this was a huge space with no place to hide. I looked at Cindi, who gave me a “Sorry, I didn’t think” look. She turned to Lucile and started saying, “Sorry, I don’t ...” when Lucile said, “Don’t worry dears, Pour La Femme caters to all types of femmes. I have dealt with women with Carlie’s figure problem many times. That is why I sent Denise away. So, relax, have a drink and some canapes, and you’ll receive the confidential service every woman deserves.” I felt a bit relieved, but was still nervous as I picked at my snacks.

The first selection was a white silk blend Coast Kamika textured dress with a full skirt, halter top and open back. I loved it so much, I wasn’t sure I wanted to see more. The only problem was the open back. I could not wear a padded bra to enhance my nascent breasts. Still, when I shyly stripped to my panties and tried it on, Lucile said I had enough of a top to carry it off as it was not form fitting. Cindi whispered that she loved the way my nipples were outlined by the silk falling from the halter.

The second was a white Aqua by Aqua Evangalista dress with one sleeve. She’d sold it to a number of women with my "figure problem" as it had a very high neckline that would hide a prominent Adam’s apple. I didn’t have much of an Adam’s apple, so I did not need that feature. The skirt was much less full than the Coast dress. To me that meant it was less fun to wear. Cindi thought the asymmetrical design was too sophisticated for me to carry off. Looking in the mirror, I had to agree.

The last was an Aqua by Aqua skater dress in a digital print poly fabric. It was a flirty mini with a round neckline and a fill skirt. I loved the cut, but the print did nothing for me. It was a dress to wear clubbing — one that said “I’m here, dears.” So, I stayed with my first choice.

“The only problem is that it is too cold at night to wear an open back or even a sleeveless dress.”

“Don’t worry, dear, I have the prefect wrap to go with it.” Lucile went into the shop and came back with a hand woven raw silk and unbleached wool ruana. “Try this.” I did. It was warm and the perfect compliment to my new dress.

“Now shoes dear. I think I have some that are absolutely you.” She returned with a very surprising selection, but one I loved: Pedro Garcia 'Chenoa' Booties. They were stylish enough to wear to dinner, but wouldn’t look out of place if I wore them to class. I tried them on. They were a bit narrow, but Lucile said that since they were leather, they’d stretch to fit me perfectly.

I was very happy when we finished and told Lucile so. She responded that I was a lovely girl and deserved the best.

up
166 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm glad

Renee_Heart2's picture

for the consideration of the sales lady that sent the other one off. Now Carle has ONE VERY nice dress, wrap & shoes to boot so now that that is done... The "fun begins" & I think things are going to HIT the fan.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Enjoying

I'm enjoying this tale.
Joanna

Thank you

Both for taking the time to comment.

In my first draft of the next chapter, the story took an unplanned dark turn. The second draft will be back on plan.