Dancing Queen: 3

Printer-friendly version
Learning to dance and work as Michelle

Ballroom dancing has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, but I didn’t realise just how important it would become in shaping my future, until I had to take the place of one of my bosses following an accident.


Dancing Queen


A novel


by Louise Anne Smithson

Copyright © 2013 Louise Anne Smithson
All Rights Reserved.

Image Credit: Picture from Wikimedia Commons. Free for commercial and personal use with restriction under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence.


 
Chapter 3 — Enter Michelle

My first experience of dancing the woman’s part, whilst wearing a woman’s costume and shoes was not the total disaster that I’d predicted, but neither was it a complete success. We began by dancing to ‘Lara’s theme’ from the film Dr Zhivago,which is in  ¾ time and so is an ideal tune for demonstrating the Slow Waltz. There were a couple of awkward slips on my part at first as I was unused to wearing heels, and to starting with my left leg, but once I got used to the new position I was alright. We were soon able to achieve the graceful rise and fall which characterizes the dance; in fact there were several times when we seemed to float round the dance floor in a most graceful and elegant way. In a number of respects the female dancer’s role is more challenging than that of her partner. She often has to take more steps to keep up with her partner and spends a greater proportion of the time going backwards. She tends to be the centre of attraction for the spectators and so has to give more thought to the costume she is wearing which will inevitably be more elaborate and cumbersome than her partner’s. Above all, she needs to be able to trust her partner and allow herself to be guided around the dance floor. This was all a new experience for me, but when it was going well, it was also an enjoyable one.

After an hour we moved on to the Foxtrot, another elegant and sophisticated dance which is similar to the Waltz but in 4/4 time. We danced to ‘Fly me to the moon’by Frank Sinatra. Once again I had to concentrate hard to ensure that I began by stepping backward with my right foot rather than stepping forward with my left, as I would normally have done. On this occasion, I made only one relatively small blunder and Rob was able to cover up for me. It was just as well though that the two dances that we would be demonstrating on Saturday were fairly sedate, and not taxing in terms of technique: it would have been a different matter if we had been due to dance the Quickstep or one of the faster Latin American dances. Thus by the end of a two hour session I realised that, with a little more practice, I would probably be alright. However, I knew from experience that individual dancers are not always the best judges of their own performance. I wanted to see what others thought before passing comment.

‘That’s enough for now. Let’s go and get something to eat so we can discuss how you both got on,’ suggested Sarah, who had been sitting at the side-lines, resting her injured leg.

‘Alright but please can we have a take away meal at your house instead? I don’t feel like going out to a restaurant dressed like this,’ I replied.

Sarah offered to loan me something of hers to change into, but I protested that my feet were aching. Rob stepped in and agreed with my suggestion so we stopped off for a takeaway and went back to their place where I was able to change into my own clothes once again.

‘So what did you think of our performance tonight, Sarah?’ Rob asked.

‘Apart from those few slips you were both pretty good. Of course you’ve stripped out some of those fancy arc-turns and the final spin that Mike had put in for me, but I honestly don’t think there is any other couple in the group who would be better placed to take the lead role in the demonstration.’

‘Yes I suppose it was a little bit on the dull side, but I guess we were playing safe. What did you think, Mike?’

‘M-M-Most of the time it was alright, but it is supposed to be an exhibition dance, after all. We need to get the series off to a good start on Saturday and I would still be frightened about letting everyone down.’

‘Perhaps if we could pair Mike up with Alan to take the lead since he’s a better dancer than me and would be better placed to cover up any slips that Mike might make?’ suggested Rob.

Sarah thought for a moment.

‘Yes, that might be a good idea. You could then dance with Sonia, as she’s now much improved,’ said Sarah to her husband, ignoring any reservations I might have had about taking part.

Alan was, without doubt, the best male dancer in our group, but didn’t have a permanent female dance partner. This was probably because he was quite open about being in a gay relationship, and so he wasn’t seen as a particularly ‘good catch’ for any of the unattached young women. Instead he tended to be paired up with any novice dancers who were showing promise, as he was so good at bringing them on.

‘I’ll speak him in the morning, and explain the situation and see what he thinks. That is if Mike is still willing to go ahead with your plan.’

‘What do you think Mike?’ asked Sarah.

‘Are you s-s-sure there’s no-one else who could take your place?’

She shook her head.

‘Quite sure; I can think of no-one who would be able to take over at such short notice. But it’ll only be for this one session. Otherwise we’ll have to cancel the show, and that’ll get the whole series off to a really bad start.’

‘I would like to help on Saturday but I’m still anxious about tripping over in those heels.’

‘You said that your mother was away until the weekend. Why not stay with us for tonight and I’ll find something of mine for you to wear in to work tomorrow, so you can spend some more time getting used to the shoes,’ she said.

‘You want me to go into work tomorrow dressed as a woman?’

‘Things are pretty quiet at the moment and you could keep out of the public eye. Rob can explain what is happening to Helen and Richard. I’m sure that they would both understand that you were doing this for my sake.’

‘I’m not so sure,’ I replied.

I looked at Rob, but he seemed to wish to avoid becoming involved in this conversation, but I needed an ally.

‘Wh-what do you think, Rob?’ I asked.

‘Why not stay the night anyway and think about things and then decide what you want to do tomorrow morning. I promise we won’t attempt to force you to do anything against your will.’

It was now nearly eleven o’clock and too late for me to get a bus home. We’d also shared a bottle of wine with our meal, so I didn’t feel that I could ask Rob to drive me home. I suppose I could have ordered a cab but a five mile taxi ride was quite an extravagance for a nineteen year old office junior.

‘Alright then, I’ll st-stay.’

‘Good, I’ll find you a toothbrush and a pair of pyjamas to wear,’ said Sarah.

~o~O~o~

The following morning, Sarah limped into the spare bedroom at seven-thirty carrying a dark grey suit of hers and a pink blouse.

‘Here you are Mike, she said laying them on the foot of the bed and then leaving before I could answer.

She returned a minute or so later carrying a pair of black patent leather court shoes with three inch heels.

‘If you wouldn’t mind wearing the same underclothes and tights that you wore last night, just for today, we can stop off on the way in to work and get you some new ones for tomorrow and Saturday.’

Tomorrow and Saturday?,’ I thought. ‘Who has said anything about tomorrow and Saturday?

‘Y-y you are taking it for granted that I’m going to agree with your plan, Sarah?’

Sarah put down the shoes, then shut the bedroom door and proceeded to hang the clothes on a hook. She’d chosen her moment carefully, since Rob, who was normally a restraining influence on her schemes, was occupied in the shower.

‘Come on, Mike, I saw your expression as you were dancing last night. When it was going well you looked as if you were really enjoying yourself.’

‘M-m-maybe I was; when it was going well, but there were also those two or three slips.’

‘Exactly, they need to be ironed out. That is why you are going to need as much practice wearing the high heels as possible before Saturday afternoon. If you put on these clothes for today, I’ll pack my long dress and dance shoes for you to change into so we’ll be able to go straight on to the dance studio after work. It is for the sake of the Society, after all.’

She said it in such a pleading manner, and Rob was unable to take my side at that moment, so I found it difficult to resist — especially as I’d been at least a contributory factor in her accident. On the other hand, I had to admit to myself that she did have a point; it had been good fun to be dancing again. Fortunately Mum was away and so I would not have to make any explanations to her.

‘Alright; but either you or Rob will need to explain to the others before I get in to work, and you are going to have to help me to get myself ready.’

Sarah gave me such a nice smile.

‘Yes, of course. As soon as Rob is finished, please get yourself showered and dressed and I’ll fix your wig and makeup for you.’

By the time we came to leave, Sarah had presented me with various items of makeup that she thought I might need during the course of the day, together with a hairbrush, grips, a small packet of tissues and a spare key to their house. All of these were put into an old, but smart looking handbag which she said I could keep for the duration of my stay. She and I were half an hour late arriving at work as Rob had dropped us off at ‘New Look’ in the Broadwalk to enable her to buy some more underclothes for me to wear. I remained a step or two behind her and let her make the decisions about what I would be wearing, but since she was willing to pay for them I couldn’t really object. By the time we arrived at work, Rob had already explained to Helen and Richard why I would be coming to work wearing a skirt and jacket, a blouse and a pair of high-heeled court shoes.

‘Wow, Mike! From what Rob had said I was half expecting to see a drag queen this morning, but you actually look pretty good dressed as a girl,’ said Helen in a surprised voice, as I entered.

‘Thank you,’ I said, blushing a little.

I went over to my desk, smoothed my skirt and sat down. Richard just looked across at me with an open mouth.

‘So is that agreed then, our colleague will be known as Michelle Williams for the rest of today and tomorrow, just in case any clients should come into the office?’ said Sarah.

‘That’s fine by me,’ said Helen, ‘Welcome to the office, Michelle.’

‘As long as Michelle doesn’t mind,’ said Richard, having found his voice at last.

‘I don’t think I’ve much choice, dressed the way I am,’ I answered.

The telephone rang, which Helen answered, and then both Rob and Richard had to go out to see different clients. I turned on my computer and the normal work of the office began.

Next time: Making a new friend and acquiring a new partner.

Thanks to Bronwen for editing and to everyone else for comments and kudos which are always appreciated. The next chapter will be published on 10 November. Louise

up
254 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

That was just so neat !

I loved the skillful way you had Mike get slid gently, step by tiny step, into the role of Michelle.

This looks to be a very promising tale, which I and I am sure many others will enjoy reading, and I must thank you for sharing it with us all.

Briar

The Slippery Slope

joannebarbarella's picture

Mike has already been kinda badgered into being Michelle without too much protest or drama. And he has danced the woman's part with surprising ease for the first time out.

She can only get better....so the big question is....where to from here?

Joanne

Hmmm maybe

a little too much force, but Michelle seems to be there already, just Mike needs to see her as well. For Michelle has been hidden from Mike

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Forest from the trees.

People can be to close to a tree one is hiding behind. To see the rest of the forest. We want to remain safe and hiding from the truth that is in plain sight to every one else.

Huggles
Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Thank you Louise,

I think that Mike/Michelle is starting to be herself. Is she wearing that gorgeous red frock?:)

ALISON

Accomplishing in mere hours....

What takes girls years to do, yes Michelle can dance, but can she pull-off the rest of what it is to be a woman. Only time will tell. If Sarah & Rob are as good dancers as their touted to be, one has to wonder if the accident was really just that. Or an elaborate ruse to get Mike into dresses. I guess we shall soon see. Nice chapter Louise! Hugs, Taarpa

I will be looking forward to

I will be looking forward to the next chapter :) this has been a a rather enjoyable story thus far. It seems that Michelle has been there for the longest time, perhaps since birth even. Mike developed the stutter when his father died so maybe his father is what was keeping Michelle from showing herself, then when he died Michelle tried to break out but Mike was still saddened by his fathers passing so he developed a stutter. That stutter could be Michelle.

Very interesting....

D. Eden's picture

I just read all three chapters to date, and I found this story to not only be enjoyable, but also well written. I must admit that the plot line of Michael filling in as the female dancer was very predictable, but that took nothing away from the story. The switch of male dancers should throw something of a twist into the story though!

I am really looking forward to the next chapter.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Michelle, nice to meet you.

Louise Anne, wonderful, we'll sneak that change of gender clothing in verrrry soon.

Cefin