Dancing Queen: 6

Printer-friendly version
Getting ready for my public demonstration

Ballroom dancing has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, but I didn’t realise just how important it would become in shaping my future, until I had to take the place of one of my bosses following an accident.


Dancing Queen


A novel


by Louise Anne Smithson

Copyright © 2013 Louise Anne Smithson
All Rights Reserved.

Image Credit: Picture from Wikimedia Commons. Free for commercial and personal use with restriction under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence.


 
Chapter 6 — The big day approaches

Alan and I discussed our dancing during the dinner with David and it was inevitable that they both wanted to know how I felt about undertaking the woman’s part.

‘It was a bit of a surprise when Sarah first suggested the idea but as long as I don’t make a total fool of myself, I don’t mind.’

‘I don’t think that is likely to happen,’ said David. ‘Both your appearance and presentation as Michelle are quite convincing.’

‘And your dancing is pretty good as well,’ added Alan.

‘Thank you, kind sirs,’ I replied smiling to them both.

‘Taking on the role of Michelle is probably the only way that I would get to dance at more than just the basic level.’

‘I think we make a pretty good team,’ Alan replied.

‘I do too,’ added David.

’Maybe I’ve made the right decision to go ahead on Saturday, but we will have to see,’ I thought to myself.

‘If nothing else, it is going to be an experience that I will never forget, although if things don’t go well, I might wish to do so.’

~o~O~o~

Alan dropped me off at Rob and Sarah’s house soon after ten thirty. I thanked him for the lift and for the enjoyable evening and let myself in with the key that had been loaned to me. Rob was still out; Sarah was in the lounge resting her leg. She was just finishing a telephone call when I came in.

‘Hi Michelle, how did the practice go tonight?’ she asked.

‘Fine thanks, that guy really knows how to dance,’ I said.

‘Yes, I know. I noticed how well you looked together last night, although I’ve never actually danced with him myself,’ she said.

‘You should try it once you are recovered,’ I replied.

‘One of the problems with being married to your dance partner is that you can never really progress.’

‘I guess so, but Rob is a pretty competent dancer all the same.’

‘Yes, but he’s not in the same league as you and Alan.’

‘Or you, for that matter,’ I replied.

She smiled, but then looked a little sad.

‘Maybe, but every dancer reaches the point where she realises that she has gone as far as she is likely to go and I was beginning to reach that point. Of course I’ll go back to dancing when my leg recovers, but I doubt whether I will ever be quite as good again. On the other hand you, Michelle, seem still to have a long way to go.’

‘Thanks for saying so. It’s ironic, but as Michael I’d given up any idea that I might be a good dancer, but as Michelle I seem able to let myself go more.’

‘In that case I’m pleased that you are getting this opportunity to dance as Michelle tomorrow. Also we’re all really grateful to you for filling in for me.’

‘It was a crazy idea on your part but as it has turned out, I’ve had a good time as Michelle over the last couple of days,’ I admitted.

‘I suspected as much.’

At that moment I felt quite content with my situation.

‘If you ever did get to dance with Alan, I don’t think that Rob would need to worry about the two of you running off together. I get the impression that he is happily settled in a relationship.’

Sarah smiled.

‘Yes, there’s no danger that we would end up sleeping together but it would still seem like a betrayal if I were to tell Rob that I wanted to dance with someone better.’

Sarah thought for a moment and then said something which took me completely by surprise.

‘Yes I’ve known several love affairs ruin a number of good partnerships, but I don’t think you are in any danger, you’re far too feminine for his tastes.’

Sarah must have noticed how startled I looked by her comment as she quickly added a rider.

‘Don’t worry, I would never have thought that about Mike, but it is remarkable how a change of clothes and a wig can alter how you act and how others perceive you.’

I didn’t know what to think about her previous comment, so I frantically looked for a change of subject.

‘We’ll soon have to work out who is going to be filling in for you over the subsequent weeks,’ I said.

‘Yes, that’s what I’ve been discussing on the phone this evening, but let’s cross one bridge at a time. We can sort out all the details at our Committee meeting after your demonstration. Now, are you all set for tomorrow?

‘I’m still a little nervous, which is inevitable, but I believe that we’ve done as much as we can.’

‘I’ve left you some clean underclothes in the spare room, and if you wouldn’t mind wearing the same dress and shoes as today in the morning. We’ll take your dance costume in the car with us so that you can change immediately prior to the demonstration.’

‘I’m in your hands. Just tell me what I need to do.’

‘Have you checked your legs and armpits for any unsightly hair?’

‘Yes, I’m fine, thanks, I did them only two days ago,’ I answered, then added: ‘You’re beginning to sound like my mother.’

Sarah smiled and seemed amused by the idea.

‘It’s a pity that she won’t get to see you dance tomorrow.’

‘Maybe,’ I replied, unsure of what I thought about that idea.

Rob arrived home soon afterwards and confirmed that all was well with his new partner and all the necessary arrangements had been made for the following day.

‘So are you and Alan set for tomorrow as well, Michelle?’

‘I just hope that I don’t make a fool of myself and let you all down tomorrow.’

‘From what I’ve seen of you dancing so far, I don’t think that’s very likely,’ said Rob.

~o~O~o~

The following morning I showered and dressed myself, and even managed to put on Sarah’s wig and some makeup before joining my hosts for breakfast.

‘Would you mind if we called in at my mother’s house before we go to the hall? I’ll drop off Michael’s dirty clothes and pick up some clean ones so that I’ll be able to change back straight after the demonstration.’

‘Alright, we should have time as I’m not now going to need to do your makeup for you this morning,’ said Sarah.

‘But I might need help with it later on,’ I replied.

‘I’m sure that one of the other ladies present will make sure that your makeup is done properly and in plenty of time for this afternoon.’

~o~O~o~

Inevitably I was the centre of attention among the four pairs of dancers at our run-through. By this time everyone knew that Alan and I would be taking Sarah and Rob’s places. They were keen to know how we would get on — especially with me dancing a female part. I received some curious looks as I entered the hall, especially from the guys.

‘Don’t worry, once they’ve seen you dance any doubts on their part will soon evaporate,’ said Alan.

‘I hope so,’ I said, beginning to wonder whether I’d made the biggest mistake of my life.

I was quite pleased when Rob began to address the assembled group.

‘Alright everyone, as you all know, Sarah has injured her leg and Mike — or rather Michelle, Williams as she will appear on the programme today, will be taking her place. Alan is going to take my place and together they will now be dancing as the lead couple for both dances. Michelle and Alan have decided to stick to the original routine, rather than the simplified version, but this shouldn’t have too much impact on the rest of us who are dancing. I suggest that I now ask them to show us both of their routines and so we can see what we’ll need to do in order to support them.’

There was a murmur of assent, the music started and we began to dance. As soon as we’d finished I knew that we’d done well, from the applause that we received from our peers during the expertly executed lift at the end of the Waltz. By the time we had finished our Foxtrot I could feel that the atmosphere among the spectators had changed from a mixture of inquisitiveness and occasional mild distaste, to one of excitement and admiration. By midday everyone was happy about their respective roles and people began to drift away to grab a light lunch or begin to change into their costumes.

‘I’ve got a couple of packets of sandwiches, so you’d better come with me, Michelle, as we are going to need some time to get you ready for this afternoon,’ said Sarah.

Up to that point it hadn’t really occurred to me where I was going to get changed, but Sarah walked straight to the ladies’ changing rooms and beckoned me to follow. Two of the other dancers, Sonia and Louise were already there, dressed in their underclothes, but neither of them batted an eyelid as I entered.

‘Wow, Michelle, I wish I could dance like that,’ said Sonia.

‘I’m sure that you will be able to do so with a little more practice,’ I replied.

‘How are you managing with the heels?’ she asked.

‘With difficulty, I have a feeling that my feet will be aching for the next week, but I hope they should be alright for today.’

We were soon joined by the remaining ladies who were due to take part in the proceedings, and again nobody seemed to act as if they were surprised to see me or that I was in the wrong place. I suspected that Sarah had been discussing the arrangements for me to get changed into my costume with the other ladies the previous night whilst I’d been out practising.

‘OK, Michelle, take off your dress please so that we can all have a close look at you to decide what will need to be done,’ said Sarah.

I followed her instructions and over the next hour and three quarters my costume, makeup and hair were subjected to the detailed scrutiny of the five leading ladies of our ballroom dance society, who seemed to regard me as some kind of joint project involving them all. They took turns to contribute whilst simultaneously helping one another to get themselves ready. For most of this time I quietly let them get on with it, without argument. My breast forms were pronounced to be not good enough and were replaced by two silicone breast enhancers loaned to me together with a push-up bra and some judicious taping to produce the semblance of a cleavage. My finger nails were examined and pronounced to be acceptable, and I was also fitted with some false eyelashes.

My hair and makeup were done for me by Joan who ran a beauty salon in Luton. The makeup she applied was somewhat heavier and more pronounced than I’d been used to wearing

‘You’ll need to wear more makeup than you would normally do if you complexion is not going to look washed out under the spotlights,’ she explained.

‘You need to have long hair as a dancer, but for the more formal ballroom dances it is important for you to have it strictly under control,’ she said as she wound it into a bun at the base of my neck, covered it with a light weight hairnet, and then affixed a flower.

‘You’re the expert. I’ll just do what I’m told.’

It was a nice friendly atmosphere in the changing rooms as we chatted together happily and I seemed to be accepted, without question, into the sisterhood. It was only when Joan expressed a desire to pluck and shape my eyebrows that I complained that if she went too far, I wouldn’t be able to go into work on Monday, let alone explain to my mother when I saw her the next day. So we agreed on a compromise between our wishes. Ultimately she was satisfied and I had a flawless complexion, smouldering eyes and sexy pouting lips.

‘OK I think that’s you finished, Michelle, let’s see what you look like in your frock,’ she announced.

Sonia helped me to put on my dress and shoes, and the others crowded round as I looked at myself in a full-length mirror.

‘So what does everyone think?’ asked Joan.

‘I think she looks pretty good, and entirely convincing,’ said Sarah, without sounding too surprised about it.

‘How about you, Michelle; how do you feel?’

It felt wonderful to be wearing that long blue gown, with immaculate hair and makeup, but I couldn’t find the words to express how I felt. I also wondered how my mother would react if she could see me.

‘Thank you very much, everybody, for all your help,’ I replied, turning to look at myself from both sides.’

‘What about some jewellery?’ asked Louise.

‘With the high tulle neck she doesn’t really need a necklace, said Sarah, but perhaps she could do with some earrings.’

‘I have just the pair which she can borrow,’ said Louise.

She provided me with two large dangly clip-on earrings.

‘They are a little painful,’ I commented.

‘They do look good with that dress, if you can manage to wear them. If they get too painful you can always take them off once the second dance is over,’ said Sonia.

I spent the last ten minutes before we were due to go on helping my colleagues with their last minute preparations and then we all went out to find our partners. I was just about to leave when Sarah provided me with a couple of squirts from her perfume.

‘You may as well smell as good as you look,’ she said smiling.’

‘Thanks for everything, Sarah, I’m pleased that you talked me into doing this.’

‘I know; now off you go and the best of luck, Michelle.’

Next time: Our demonstration, followed by the committee meeting

Thanks to Bronwen for editing and to everyone else for comments and kudos which are always appreciated. The next chapter will be published on 30 November. Louise

up
266 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

ah the committee

have a feeling Mom will be there to see her 'Daughter' perform.

Thanks for this wonderful series

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Hi Louise!

Wonderful build up this chapter. Michelle seems comfortable with her role now, and the girl around her very supportive. I'll bet after the demonstration the dance committee will vote to keep Michelle for the rest of the events. Nice chapter Louise, keep'em comin' hon. (Hugs) Taarpa

A great combination:

Andrea Lena's picture

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire
and...

“We all dream of being exactly what we are – powerful, beautiful, and worthy.”
― Vironika Tugaleva, The Love Mindset

Thank you, Louise!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I am so jealous of her

the amount of acceptance she gets is so wonderful ....

DogSig.png

Happy Feet

joannebarbarella's picture

And I think the rest of Michelle is heading for happiness too. Lovely story,

Joanne

Must have a spritz

Louise, you have woven another tale, that we the readers know is a story, but hooks us emotionally. Michele will be not only the best dancer, but also the cutest.

Cefin