Somewhere Else Entirely -95-

Printer-friendly version

After an overnight stop the caravan resumes the journey south. Most have remembered passing through Holville and do not look forward to doing so again, but there are surprises in store for all when they arrive, including Merizel!

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

95 - The Road South


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2013 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Garia carefully wiped the steel disc and handed the cloth back to Lanilla before peering at her face in the metal mirror. There were windows in the bath house, but because of privacy concerns these were high up and the early morning light made it hard to see clearly. Garia's main features were still plain enough to examine and she let a sigh of relief escape.

"Milady?"

"It looks better than yesterday, doesn't it? I hadn't realized how bad my face was when I went down to breakfast then."

"As you say, milady. But, if you'll excuse me saying so, those beds weren't very comfortable, at least mine wasn't, and I didn't think your own was much better. I expected... something better for the guest chambers of a nobleman, somehow. The chambers in this roadhouse were better than those of the castle."

"You're right, Lanilla. But a place like this gets all kinds staying overnight so they have to make sure the beds are comfortable, while I guess Trosanar doesn't have too many guests staying in his chambers. His own bed will be nice and soft but I bet the guest rooms will be neglected - unless a Duke or a Prince comes to call."

"I never thought of it like that, milady. But then, I know very little about how the nobility live."

Garia smiled at her maid. "Well, don't use me as a guide to how it all works, will you! I'm new at the noble game myself and don't know what I'm supposed to be doing half the time. Come on, let's go and get some breakfast."

Garia and Lanilla emerged from the bathhouse to find her armsmen forming a perimeter around the building. There were very few other women at the overnight stop so no-one was inconvenienced, but it was apparent that her men were taking their duties seriously. In the distance the palace men were working through the last of the Tai Chi, watched with interest by a small knot of Trosanar's men. The count himself was sitting at a table with Keren and the other women of their party, apparently waiting for Garia before beginning breakfast. They all rose as she approached.

"Good morning, my lady," Trosanar greeted her. "If I may say, you appear in better health than you did yesterday."

"Thank you my lord," she replied, curtseying to Keren and Trosanar. "I'll not go into details but it seems every time is different and it is always the first day that is the worst. Your Highness."

"Garia. Join us." Keren indicated one of the carved wood chairs which served diners at this particular stop, and then waved to the waiting staff to attend. "We were discussing Holville before you arrived. Lord Trosanar has heard of the problems there but did not realize that the situation had gotten so bad. Since we recently - relatively speaking, that is - traveled that way I described to him what we saw as we passed."

"Lady Garia," Trosanar added, "I may be to blame for some of Holville's problems. Certain of the miners along the Sufen would not accept the levies I asked them and left looking for... cheaper places to delve for ores. If I have caused this problem by driving miners away then I must accept some of the responsibility. We passed that way ourselves when we returned from Dekarran and, though the works seemed untidy to my eyes, I saw nothing I did not expect to see. I saw no carcases, smelled no fumes, saw no tainted water. But I do not really know what is considered normal for such activities." An embarrassed smile. "As you may understand, I am not popular at such places so I do not visit them unless I must."

"As you say, my lord. Most mine sites are untidy to the eye and I don't think that will ever change. But Holville is something else... I think something has gone wrong there."

Keren nodded. "Aye, most definitely. But here is our food, let us break our fast as we talk."

The usual traveling fare was put out for them, bread, sliced meats, cheese, fruits, ale and pel.

"Whose lands are those of Holville, do you know?" Keren asked Trosanar as they ate.

"Aye, Highness. Those lands properly belong to Baron Kachmar of West Kendeven these days, I believe. He obtained them through marriage as dowry from his wife, the second daughter of Count Vestran, who presently resides along the Telar, as I recall. Now Kachmar is an old man, a widower, and these last four years has been stricken by a palsy of the left side. I do not know if he has ever visited the lands where Holville now appears. Perhaps once, just after his marriage, but no more. As far as I know, he is confined to his castle in Kendeven most of the time, he is too ill to travel far."

"I see." Keren frowned. "Has he children? Should they not take some of his responsibilities for him?"

"Highness, I do not remember. Lasalenne would certainly know! I believe there was at least one daughter... as a vassal of Kendeven, he did not attend any of the same conclaves with our lieges, as you will appreciate."

"Of course. So, the land is left without supervision and is settled upon by mining folk seeking cheap ores to dig. We will doubtless find some local official who takes a small fee for letting them do whatever they want, without the knowledge of the landowner."

"We sent letters to Uncle Gil - I mean Duke Gilbanar," Garia pointed out. "Do you think he's done anything about the situation since we first passed through?"

"We'll find out today, won't we?"

Breakfast over, everyone rose and headed for the corrals to collect their animals. It had occurred to Garia that, since she would not be mounted for the next few days she did not need to wear riding gear, so she had chosen one of the gowns she had worn when disguised as a traveler on their original journey north. This was more comfortable in her present condition and warm enough given the turn in the weather. There was a long-sleeved undershirt and hose of fine pakh wool next to her skin and her feet were shod in sturdy travelers' ankle boots. Sukhana's original provision of clothes had included gloves, scarf and even a bonnet of quilted cloth padded with pakh wool but Garia had decided that the weather wasn't yet cold enough for those extremes.

The reaction of the animals in the paddock to their approach was interesting. The dranakh, way over the back, took no notice of anybody but kept on grazing. They would come of their own accord when the time was right. Of the frayen, one group grazed unconcerned, a second group stared apprehensively at the humans but the third made straight for the rails and the gate. Trosanar's men, joining them to collect their own animals, looked surprised to see the reactions of the approaching mounts.

"Morning, Snep! Have you missed me?" Garia reached out and stroked her mount's head as he poked it between the rails. He sniffed her carefully and then gave her a questioning look.

"Sorry, boy. I can't ride you today. It's a female thing, you know? Here, have a small consolation instead."

She dug out a piece of fruit she had saved from the table and gave it to Snep, who took it carefully and chewed it with some appreciation.

Garia turned to Senidet. "Are you happy to ride Snep again today? I don't want to force you to ride if you think you've had enough for now. If your backside is getting sore we've plenty room for you to ride in the carriage, you know."

"Thank you, milady," Senidet replied, "I will persevere with the riding today, if you would permit me. I am becoming accustomed to the saddle and the needs of riding, and I feel I must practise this new craft while I still have the chance. I may accept your offer of a carriage place another day, perhaps."

"Any time, Senidet. Don't think we're forcing you to ride, that's all. Is Snep behaving himself?"

"Certainly, milady. I have discovered that our beasts have more sense than most people believe. When I think of how some of the townspeople mistreat their beasts I am ashamed. There is so much more that they are willing to give if one but treats them with respect."

"I agree! As you have seen, it's made a big difference to the way we all ride. There are always going to be those who mistreat their animals but I hope with better education we can get more out of them and make their lives happier at the same time. Do you need help with that halter?"

"Thank you, milady, I can do it." Senidet blushed. "Tedenis showed me the proper way when we were at the Blackstone roadhouse."

"Ah. I'll let you carry on, then."

The gate was opened and the frayen filed out, to be haltered by their riders ready to be taken back to their wagons for saddles and gear to be fitted. Trosanar's men stood together watching this process with amazement and eventually Pargrum made his way over to the palace group.

"Commander," he addressed Feteran, "how is this possible?" He waved a hand at the procession of docile animals. "There are few of our own beasts who will come readily to hand yet all of your own do. Is there some trick to this? Have you some special training, perhaps? For our own beasts, we must enter the paddock and chase them down."

Feteran's mouth twitched. "Aye, Quadrant, there is some training involved, but most of it requires training the rider, not the beast. Milady Garia showed us the way some time hence, when we discovered that she was already an experienced rider before she came to Palarand. Come, it is no secret, I shall explain to you as we ride. It will require an adjustment in the way you treat your animals but I can tell you you will ride better for it - and be able to serve your lord better." Feteran turned to regard the animals still in the corral. "Do you require assistance to round up your own mounts? I can detail some men to help, if you desire."

Pargrum nodded. "If it is no trouble, commander, then aye, I would. It will save us some time making ready for the road." He hesitated, then asked, "We noticed yesterday that you have different saddles. Are these part of what makes your frayen behave as they do?"

"Partly, Quadrant. Our saddles, another of Milady Garia's improvements, sit further forward on the beast and, we believe, are more comfortable for it to bear the rider's weight. It does require the rider to sit differently and it can take some time to adjust to the new position, but I would not return to the old saddle now. Come, let me find some men to round up your animals and we can speak of such matters as we ride."

Soon the roadhouse camp was full of men and animals getting ready to leave. Garia reluctantly approached her carriage to find Jasinet already aboard.

"Look, milady! I felt sure that there would be something like these if we needed them." Jasinet had lifted one of the seats to reveal a storage space below filled with folded traveling blankets. "Do you want me to get any of these out for you?"

"I'm warm enough at the moment, Jasinet, but if you or Lanilla are feeling a little cold then by all means get some out. We've a long way to go still and I don't want you catching a chill or something."

The procession set off and resumed heading south. Garia had already discovered the drawback of carriage travel, namely that her view of the countryside was restricted compared to everything she could see while mounted. She contented herself with relaxing back on her seat and watching the river flow past to the right of the road. Soon the river swung away and the view was that of tilled fields, some left to overwinter and other with fresh crops already sown to come up in the early spring.

Jasinet, on the other hand, was more interested in what was happening elsewhere and hung out of the left-hand window whenever she could. Garia had to call her back in on several occasions, especially when a bump in the road nearly made the maid exit the window completely.

"I don't see this Holville yet, milady," she said after one of these episodes. "Is it not a town like Blackstone or Tranidor, then?"

"Nothing like," Garia confirmed. "It's just a lot of holes dug all over the place by a bunch of miners. There's no real town at all, there's just shacks and workshops thrown up wherever they can find a bit of flat land. And the smell! I think you'll smell it long before we see it. Let's hope we can get past it as quickly as possible, on the way up even the frayen were coughing."

Jasinet screwed up her face. "Do people really live like that? Are the ores so rich, perhaps?"

"I don't think so, in fact it's probably the opposite. From what I understand the land belongs to an elderly noble who lives in Kendeven who can't look after the place. Miners went there because it was somewhere cheap and unregulated. You'll see."

But the situation was not what any of them expected at all. As their caravan approached the area they discovered a checkpoint across the road, with a group of tents pitched nearby. The men operating the checkpoint were all dressed in a variety of uniforms of different colors. Seeing the Prince's men approach they saluted and stood to one side, but Jaxen halted their train so that Keren could question them. Garia leaned out of a window to hear the conversation.

"Your Highness! We did not expect to find you on this road. Your caravan may pass freely."

"What purpose does this barrier serve, if I may ask?"

"Highness, it is to keep out those of the artisans who resist the imposition of the law on Holville. Some small number object to what they see as confiscation of their mining claims."

The officer waved a hand at the tents and Garia noticed men now emerging from some of them, to stand looking resentfully at the armsmen. As their own caravan was so heavily surrounded by armed, uniformed men as well they kept their distance but the ill-feeling was palpable.

"Who imposes the law here?" Keren asked.

"Why, Highness, the Duke Gilbanar does, since there is no other willing to do it. We are levies asked from nearby towns and holdings, content to do our liege's bidding if it will remove the stain that Holville has placed on our countryside." The officer glared at the men from the tents. "Most have consented to assist the laying out of a proper town but some few object. I do not think they will give you any trouble, Highness, you are too strong a party."

"Sir!" an armsman called. "The Count approaches."

All eyes turned along the road where a group of mounted men rode towards them. Noticing that some wore Dekarran colors, Garia opened the door and climbed out, followed by her two maids. The lead rider held up a hand as he approached.

"Well met, Highness! I wondered if I would meet you on your return journey."

"Terinar! So, Uncle Gil sent you up here to clear up this mess, then?"

"Aye, Highness, he did. Thought it was time I did something useful with my life instead of moping about the castle all day. Is Garia with you? Ah, I can just see her back there. And..?"

Terinar turned and his eyes met those of Merizel. Their two frayen walked forward until the two were side by side, facing, their eyes locked into each other's.

"Well met, My Lady Merizel."

"Well met, My Lord," she murmured in reply.

They stayed facing one another, silent, until Keren cleared his throat to break them out of their trance.

"I think we have more important matters to attend to, don't you agree? We can't stay here blocking the road."

Terinar broke contact, turning round to face Keren. "As you say, Highness. We have made a proper camp at the south end of the town, if you would follow us we can get your wagons and men off the road. By the time we have done that it will be almost time for lunch, so you may rest easy we will not delay your journey for too long." He turned and waved at Garia. "Garia! We have all heard about your adventures in Blackstone, you must join us and tell us what happened. I am not sure I believe all I read in your letters to my father."

Garai answered Terinar's wave and then turned to her maids.

"Back inside, girls. We don't want to hold everybody up."

Garia waited until her two maids had climbed inside the carriage and then shut the door on them! She briefly examined the outside of the carriage before hauling herself up to sit beside the astonished driver.

"Move over a bit! I want to see what's been going on here and I can't do that properly from inside."

"Uh, as you say, My Lady!"

Terinar took a startled glance back at Garia, now perched on the driver's seat, before turning to Keren and making a comment. Keren laughed and then gave instructions to Jaxen, who started the whole caravan back into motion. The lengthy line of wagons and men followed Garia's carriage along the roadway through what had once been desolation.

No more. The fires were out, there was no smoke, foul water or animal carcases. To her left, on the higher slopes of the hillside, every ramshackle hut, workshop and charcoal mound had been demolished leaving only the pits and spoil heaps from the mine workings. At places there were groups of men filling two-wheel carts with spoil, others apparently filling in some of the holes. At one point, beside a small stream which run down between the workings, some men were busy building things which involved tapes and blocks of stone, she could not work out what. Further along a roadway was being driven at an angle up the hillside to join what appeared to be a terrace higher up.

To her right, along the lower valley slopes leading down to the distant river, the changes were much greater. Here, the highway had a ditch on the lower side only and men were building access bridges across it to developments on the other side. Beyond the ditch a road ran parallel to the highway with short cross-streets joining it to another road perhaps a hundred strides away. Along both sides of the cross-streets plots had been laid out, many of these had tents and wooden buildings already present on them. At the bottom, along the lower road, could be seen much larger wooden buildings which appeared to be of a communal nature. Beyond these larger buildings was a separate region where fresh, larger charcoal mounds were being constructed, together with the beginnings of large workshops and warehouses.

At the south end of the highway an area had been cleared which had military camp written all over it. The tents were of a different type and laid out in strict, close rows. A paddock leading back up the hill held the frayen of the motley force of armsmen organizing the apparent occupation. Terinar led the way into a small space near the check point which defined the lower end of the site and Jaxen supervised the parking of the wagons. With a 'thank you' to the carriage driver, Garia let herself down from the seat to join the others.

"Garia!" Terinar grinned. "Welcome to Holville, such as it is."

"I'm astonished," she replied. "I didn't think that Uncle Gil would take our letters so seriously."

"It was a combination of things. Father wasn't sure what to do, as the lands didn't belong to one of his vassals, so he had to send off to Kendeven to find out the whole story. By the time we had word back we also had your first letters from Blackstone describing how your mason was reorganizing the town and how you set up zones for different activities. There was a deputation of guildsmen at Dekarran at the time and he learned much of your plans, which he completely approves of, by the way. He had also sent someone out here to report first-hand on what was here and when he heard the truth he decided to take a personal hand in the matter." He grinned again. "Of course, he's too busy to get involved himself so he sent me out instead. He has proclaimed eminent domain over the whole territory and instructed the guildsmen to build him a new town here according to your own principles."

"The original land-owner?" Keren asked.

"Will be fully compensated for the value of the land... in the state in which it was originally left, before the miners arrived." Terinar turned at a face he recognized. "Lord Trosanar! You travel in company with His Highness?"

"Lord Terinar." He bowed to Terinar. "That could be said to be the case, my lord. I am bid to Dekarran to answer faults in my administration of my lands. His Highness has no jurisdiction, yet I must admit I have overstepped my authority. I accompany him to your father's castle voluntarily."

"Oh?" Terinar's eyes narrowed but he asked no further questions. "But I am forgetting my manners. Highness, My Lord, Ladies, please join us in our mess tent and I shall send to see if an early lunch may be provided."

Keren turned. "Jaxen?"

"Aye, Highness. I'll see to the wagons, men and beasts." He scratched his chin in thought. "Providing we do not delay too long, Highness, we may make the campsite before the Haligo gorge before dark. That would be preferable to fighting our way through the town at night."

"As you say, Jaxen. We'll bear it in mind."

"Um," Garia said. "Before we sit down I have to pay a visit to the bath house."

The men all turned toward her, confusion on some of the faces.

"Bath house?" one echoed. "Milady, we have a latrine yonder..."

"It is a bath house Lady Garia requires," Keren stated, "not a latrine. Is there one nearby? What would travelers use when they come to Holville?"

He realized the answer to his own question as Jaxen supplied it. "Highness, no-one would make camp anywhere near Holville if they might avoid it. You saw yourself what the place was like when we passed on our way north. That is why we camped beyond the... town, I suppose we must now call it." He pulled a face. "I doubt there were any bath-houses built for those who lived here, Highness. Those we saw as we passed before did not seem to be much concerned over their personal appearance."

"Aye, you are right. But Milady has need of a bath house today. Is there any remedy she may use within the town?"

One of the armsmen said, hesitantly, "Highness, there is a place... at the lower end of the town. Quadrant?"

The officer he addressed reluctantly nodded. "Aye, Treb, it is the only place, until the town is properly built." He turned to Garia. "Milady, if you would follow me, I will take you there. I cannot guarantee what reception you will receive when we approach the establishment, however."

Garia nodded. "I'll take that risk, Quadrant. My needs are more pressing than that." She turned and raised an eyebrow at Jenet.

"Milady, it were best we all came, if there is no other place a woman may use."

Garia gestured at the Quadrant. "Lead on, please."

With her men and some of the wagon guards surrounding them, the party set off for the highway and crossed it. Keren looked at Terinar and, with a nod, the pair followed more slowly, accompanied by some of their own men. Across the ditch on the lower side a crude bridge had been built of four immense poles lashed together, with a single taut rope at waist height for balance. Fortunately the poles were large enough that the crossing was stable, men helping the women on and off at each end.

They continued walking down the street facing them, which Garia saw was just surfaced with spoil from the workings which had been roughly leveled. Either side, here, there were plots laid out ready but no tents or more permanent buildings had yet been raised. Beyond the plots to her left a fence had been staked out to mark the boundary of the town development, the other side of which stood some more of the mineworkers who had apparently refused to assist in the new building, silently watching as the procession made their way down the slope.

At the bottom was the lower street and facing them was a substantial canvas building. Standing outside this building were two women, one of whom immediately went inside when she saw the approaching group. Shortly afterwards a number of women spilled out of the doorway and faced the party, forming a committee that looked anything but welcoming. The largest and oldest of the women stood forward, her arms folded under her breasts.

"What's this? Have you found some more poor women, not performing to your liking? Well, we can't take them in here! We've barely enough to feed those you have forced upon us anyway, we can't take any more."

"Mistress," Terinar began, "these are but travelers upon the way. Milady here," he gestured at Garia, "has need of a bath house."

The expression on the woman's face changed in an instant. "And why is there no bath house in Holville? Your men tore it down, that's why, without thinking what us women might have needed! Milady, eh? Come here, girl, we'll get you cleaned up, the best we can, though it will be no thanks to these miserable men. Kath, you and Yel show our guests inside, will you?"

Two of the women came forward and beckoned to Garia. It suddenly occurred to Garia what this place was and why, possibly, there was a conflict between them and the soldiers now running the town.

It's a brothel, that's what! This could be... educational.

The five were escorted inside and Garia saw that the whole place was a big canvas tent. The framework was of wooden poles lashed together, the floor had roughly-sawn planks covered with rugs and some of the walls were covered with thick hangings to keep out the chill but the whole thing looked extremely basic. The ceiling had some wood slats to hold the canvas roof up but there would clearly be problems once winter set in.

There were partitioned alcoves where the women slept... and possibly worked, but their guides took them through to a second enclosure behind the main tent where a table and benches stood in the middle while a range to one side kept the air warm. On the other side were three cubicles of canvas in two of which a half-barrel bath was just visible.

"Mistress," one of their guides said, "If you can but wait a moment or two we shall try and find you enough warm water to wash yourself with. Kalikan, is it?"

Garia nodded. "Unfortunately, yes. Our journey was urgent, I couldn't wait until I was clear."

"Sometimes the way, isn't it? We must do as men demand."

"So it would seem. I'm sorry, your name?"

"Kathira, mistress, and that's Yelena putting the water on the range. I'm sorry, there won't be much water because we have to fetch it from the other end of Lower Street and the soldiers don't like the men helping us, but there should be enough for your needs. If you other ladies would like to make use of the privy at the end?"

Merizel walked off to the third cubicle and entered. Garia sat on the bench, indicating to the others that they should sit as well.

"So, what's the situation here in Holville, then?" she asked Kathira.

"What, the whole town, or just us? Well, it seems that Mandel, he's commander of Lord Grabin's troops, he was the senior officer here until the Lord Terinar came, he don't take to whorehouses and he shut them down almost the first thing he did. Got his men to put this place up and then made us all come and live here but won't let us earn a living. He begrudges us the food he sends us and I think he wishes we would just leave and go elsewhere, I dunno, maybe Haligo or Tranidor."

"They're a long way away, aren't they? So you're stuck here with nothing to do and no way to earn a living."

"Nearly, mistress. Mandel will let us do what he calls 'proper woman's work', such as cooking, cleaning, washing and seamstressing, those sort of things, because if we do the men don't have to do those things and they can work harder building his town for him. But most of us came here because we didn't want to do those things where we came from, if you take my meaning." Kathira made a rueful smile. "It seems we all have time on our hands these days so we've done quite a bit of making and mending of our own clothing, and we have to clean and cook for ourselves so we're doing what he wants whether we wanted to or not, wouldn't you say?"

"Are the other officers like Mandel? What about Terinar?"

"I don't think the Lord Terinar agrees with what Mandel does but for some reason he doesn't want to interfere. Perhaps it's because all these men-at-arms come from different lords and don't answer to one another."

Garia nodded. "Yes, I can see that might be the case."

The other woman said, "Mistress, the water should be ready now. If one or two of you could help me lift the pot into the bathing chamber -"

Jenet and Senidet helped Kathira and Yelena carry the heavy pot into the cubicle and added it to the fresh, cold water already there, then Garia and Jenet retired to do the necessary business.

Yelena spoke to the others. "I heard the older woman call your girl milady," she said. "That can't be true, surely? Is she really a noblewoman?"

"It is true," Merizel answered, coming out from the privy. "She is a noblewoman, as am I. She is Baroness Blackstone and I am Lady Merizel, her secretary. These two are Jasinet and Lanilla, her under-maids, and Mistress Jenet her senior maid is at bath with her. The other of our party here is Mistress Senidet, who is traveling with us to Palarand to become a guildswoman."

Yelena boggled. "A guildswoman? Whoever heard of such a thing? Only men may join the guilds!"

Merizel smiled. "Times are changing. Lady Garia is herself a Guildmistress, acclaimed by all the guildmasters in Palarand's Hall of the Guilds itself, in the presence of the King."

"Surely you tell us fables, milady!"

"It is true," Senidet confirmed. "I have seen her charter myself, and the King's signature on it. I desire one day to be awarded a similar charter, though I know I may never be as clever as she is."

"Baroness... Blackstone," Kathira said thoughtfully. "That's the name all those guildsmen keep saying, whenever they want to change anything. Are you telling us she is behind what has happened to Holville?"

"Probably," Merizel agreed. "Look at it the other way, though. Would you want Holville to be as it was when we passed through traveling north, all dead animals, bad water and choking fumes? Anything has to be better than that, surely?"

The two women looked at one another.

"Put that way," Yelena said, "I can't disagree. But what we have now is no better. At least before we could make ourselves a living off the miners."

Merizel grinned and raised her voice. "Garia! You listening?"

"Of course!"

"Will you do something about this problem?"

"Of course!" There was a pause, followed by splashing. "It will delay our departure, you realize."

"Nothing new there, then!"

There was some muttering from behind the canvas curtain, too low for anyone to hear it properly.

Eventually Garia emerged from the cubicle, clean and with relief on her face. The two women uncertainly attempted a curtsey but Garia waved them back to their feet.

"Don't bother with all that nonsense, please. We're just a bunch of women here, aren't we? I'm a guest in your home, such as it is. Let's leave it at that, shall we?" Her expression changed, her smile became harder. "Now, let's go and right some wrongs, shall we?"

Garia led the way back to the front of the building and they emerged into a conversation between the big woman and Keren.

"...your proposition sounds most interesting," he was saying, "though I think my father might disapprove."

"Your father?" the woman asked. "What has your father to do with the matter? You carry a sword, you are a man, aren't you?"

"As you say, mistress. But my father is the King and the Heir to the Throne must abide by different rules than ordinary men."

"You make fun of me, young master! What would the King's son be doing in a miserable place like Holville?"

"Passing through on his way back to the palace... Ah, Garia! Has all been done that needed to be?"

Garia deliberately curtseyed. "It has, Your Highness. And I have learned much while we were inside."

The big woman's eyes widened and several of the other women began to curtsey as they realized that the young man in front of them just might be someone more important than they had imagined.

The woman turned to Garia. "Is it true? He is our Prince?"

"He is, and I am Lady Garia, Baroness Blackstone. I may owe you an apology, mistress. It was my report on conditions here when we rode north that started this whole business off."

"But..."

Garia turned to Keren. "We can fix this, can't we, Keren? It seems that one at least of the troop commanders has a thing about brothels, and he won't let any of the women work. They're just stuck here on basic rations while he hopes they'll just go away and stop annoying him."

Terinar said, "That's true, Garia. I don't have the authority to interfere with anything he says, unfortunately." He grimaced. "It seems that while I may be the son of a Duke my power to order these armsmen is limited. I must go through their lords and that takes time, even if those lords agree with my wishes."

"I was thinking," Garia said. "Keren, you have this handy bit of parchment, don't you?"

Keren grinned. "You mean that document which has Uncle Gil's signature on it? Aye, let's see if we can straighten out whatever has been happening in this place. Are you ready to return to the camp? I admit to feeling a little hungry, I think." He turned to the group of women, who stared back at him with expressions that varied from surprise to naked interest. "Ladies, we must return to the camp where a meal awaits us. Afterward I shall attend to your plight as best I can. Terinar may not have the authority to judge this matter but I do. Shall one of your number join us?"

The large woman, who appeared to be their leader, nodded. "I will come, Highness, if you will accept my presence."

Keren shrugged. "I asked for one of you. Why should you not be acceptable?"

"There are those in the camp who would keep women as far away from it as possible, Highness."

Keren's expression hardened. "Is that so? Then you may certainly accompany me, if you would. How are you named, mistress?"

"I am no mistress, Highness. I am known by all as Triss." She turned. "Sel, Manda, take the others back inside and prepare lunch for yourselves. I'll come back when I may."

Triss accepted a shawl from one of the other women and wrapped it around her shoulders before nodding to Keren. The group of men and women began to walk back up the rudimentary street towards the highway, their armed escort keeping a watchful eye for any trouble.

Keren turned to Garia. "Tell me what you have learned."

"It looks like when one of the troop commanders arrived here he rounded up all the women he found on the site, whores or not, and stuck them in that tent behind us. He forbade them, ah, plying their trade, so to speak. He'll let them do the menial jobs around the site because that lets the men do the heavy work of rebuilding. Now some of that sounds almost reasonable but the basic principle is wrong, isn't it?"

"As you say. Does this man have a name? Who is his lord?"

"He's called Mandel but I didn't hear who he answers to. It looks like there are a number of detachments from different local lords out here but they aren't part of a unified command structure. That's why Terry can't do anything with them, their own lieges seem to want to keep control."

"I begin to understand. What about the other men out here? Those who must be guildsmen? Who's organizing them, if anyone? I can't interfere with guild business but you might be able to make a difference if needed."

"We haven't spoken to any of them yet. I don't even know if they are allowed into the camp."

"They are not," Terinar told Garia. "Except for one or two of the Guildmasters, those who are known to certain troop commanders. This entire business is a mess, and I'm sorry you had to walk into it."

"Highness," Triss said, "Mandel answers to Count Grabin of Telar Minor, I believe."

"Does he now? A count from another mining area. I wonder, does he have instructions from his lord concerning the works here? We may find out shortly. Your thanks, Mistress Triss."

The party reached the rough footbridge and crossed over, making their way into the soldiers' encampment. Heading for the mess tent they were confronted by a heavy-set officer in his forties.

"My lord!" He addressed Terinar. "I must protest! Such women should not be permitted within the camp! Especially not when we are entertaining noble folk such as these." He indicated Garia and her retinue.

"Mistress Triss is here at my personal invitation," Keren said, taking charge of the conversation. "I am Prince Keren, and who are you?"

The man stammered and then made a bow. "Your Highness, I did not know who you were. I am First Quadrant Mandel, sent here by my Lord Grabin of Telar Minor to assist the clearance of this foul place. Highness, I must protest the presence of this woman in the camp. Her very existence is an affront to discipline."

"The women in that tent provided what this camp could not," Keren told him quietly. "A bathing place for women travelers on the highway. It is not for you to decide by what means people should live their lives but to do your duty as I must do mine. Now, we are hungry and I see that food awaits us within. We shall eat and then I will ask for all the troop commanders to assemble so that I may address them."

Mandel was obviously furious but there was little he could do. Everyone went into the big tent and took places at the several tables, Triss being deliberately seated next to Keren. Garia and her own women took a separate table together with their armsmen. Soldiers came and began serving out the midday meal, which consisted of basic provisions no better than Garia had eaten on the road. There was ale for the men but it had been watered, Feteran pulling a face when he had his first sip. Other than that, there was only water, not even pel.

"Milady," he said, "this food is not acceptable as fare even for soldiers in the field. Either some lord is saving himself coin or some commander is not spending it wisely - or at all."

"It is pretty bad, isn't it? I'd say that some of Gilbanar's vassals have done just as little as they can get away with to satisfy his instructions, wouldn't you? And they can play off one another by acting independently. It's a wonder there's any food here at all."

"Milady, I cannot disagree."

While they were eating two men were admitted and, after some discussion with the serving staff, approached Garia's table. They looked at everyone seated there and bowed.

"We apologize for interrupting your meal," one said. "I am told that one of you is Baroness Blackstone? We are two of the guildmasters supervising the town construction, we would speak with her if it is at all possible."

Garia put down her goblet of water. "That would be me," she told them. "Um, can we make room for these gentlemen? I need to find out what is going on here as soon as possible."

Three of her men immediately stood and made space for the guildsmen to sit, and they began.

"You are younger than we expected, guildmistress," the spokesman said, "but we have been fully informed by the Hall of the Guilds who you are and what you have already done for our crafts, so we will assume that you will understand what we have to tell you today. We have been in correspondence with Master Bezan and others in Blackstone and we seek to use the same principles in laying out the new town of Holville."

"Well," Garia replied, "We'd only intended to stop over here for lunch and then move on south this afternoon. It looks like we're going to be delayed, doesn't it?" She smiled. "That seems to be happening just lately. Why don't you tell me what's on your mind, gentlemen?"

* * *

Once the meagre meal had been consumed the two guildsmen rose and excused themselves. Keren, seeing the movement and the gap at Garia's table, came with Terinar to find out what she had learned.

"Those were two of the Guildsmen who are in charge of the development," she explained. "Halkor is a mason who's a colleague of Bezan and is trying to do much the same job here. The dark-skinned one is Zathros, he's... more concerned with the water systems, let me say. Supply and sewage both. There have been disagreements with some of the detachment officers who seem to think that they have a better idea how a town should be laid out than the guildsmen do. Harassment, even. Some of the troops are interfering with the works under progress and there are tools and materials missing, though the word I would use is stolen. Keren, I'm going to need to sit down with them and some others before we leave here. I can't just head off down the road and leave them with questions I can easily answer."

Keren nodded. "I had come to a similar conclusion myself. There are many things wrong in this place and I cannot say that Terinar here is responsible for any of them. The situation with the brothel is one and it is entirely unnecessary."

Garia said, "Part of it is the lack of overall organization. It seems that each contingent of men answers only to its own officers, and the officers only to their liege lords. There's no hierarchy in place here."

"That's what I was explaining before," Terinar said. "If I had enough men I could probably impose order myself, but as it is..."

"It isn't as simple as that," Keren said. "This isn't just a purely military matter, Terry. We have troops, we have guildsmen and their workers, there are miners and there are others who lived in Holville such as traders, merchants and freemen - and prostitutes." He frowned. "What we need is a legally-appointed governor for the town and the works, which likely means a nobleman. Terry, I'll make a decree ensuring that these blockheads have to do your bidding."

Terinar shook his head. "That's what should happen, I agree, but in fact I'm supposed to be returning south with your party to Dekarran. I was only supposed to stay here a short while to oversee the establishment of the construction process."

"But, then, who..? Very well. It seems I must needs hold an audience here, this afternoon. We can use this tent and then, afterwards, Garia can use it to meet with her guildsmen." His shoulders dropped. "Another delay! Are we fated never to get back to the palace?"

Garia smiled at his expression. "You haven't forgotten the journey north already, have you? This trip is easy by comparison. If we are to be here this afternoon then we'd better find Tanon and Jaxen and give them the bad news. Oh!" She pulled a face. "And we have to do something about the food!"

"Aye. I will not eat another meal like that one. Feteran! I have orders for you and our men."

"As you command, Highness."

up
394 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Welcome Back!

I missed your story and have been looking forward to this installment daily. This was every bit as excellent as the chapters that have come before. Thanks and welcome back!

Larimus

An unexpected pleasure!

D. Eden's picture

It was definitely an unexpected pleasure to see your posting today! It has been a while - although I fully understand the reasons behind the delay. We must all deal with the real world.

This was once again another wonderful addition to the story. As Garia has already noted, it seems that they must be delayed everywhere they go. The fortunate side effect to this is that the people are getting a wonderful opportunity to see both Keren and Garia up close and personal, and to develop a real affinity for the future rulers of their kingdom. This could play a huge part in their lives together - for what the people want may very well trump tradition!

It also has the benefit of allowing Keren to meet his people and learn of his future kingdom, plus allowing Garia to see even more of her new home.

I can't wait to see even more!

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

They might be getting

They might be getting delayed, but they _are_ moving along. The delays aren't extreme, but are required. It just means that it might take twice as long to get back as they first envisioned. Many of the delays would be expected, because they are no longer travelling incognito - every noble will want to suck up and show hospitality.

BW


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Travelling cognito

Is that the opposite of travelling incognito? Dunno.

Yup, one problem of making yourself visible to everyone on the journey back is the unintended consequences, which unfortunately means more work for me.

Holville had to be dealt with, as I had specifically set it up that way on the trip north. There are things that have to happen there before we go much further.

I will probably skim over much of the rest of the trip to Dekarran, though. Though I know that some of my readers would like this to turn into a Bike-like epic, I do want to bring this to a conclusion and there's still much to get through.

Penny

SEE..

As always Penny I was very happy to see a new installment of SEE up just now! I know you've been swamped with RL problems and health troubles so I want you to know that all your fans REALLY appreciate the time and effort you go to on our behalf to get out new chapters of SEE!! I hope your Thanksgiving was a good one and you have a VERY Merry Christmas also!

Blossom

Thanksgiving?

We don't really do that in the UK for obvious reasons. Turkeys are for Christmas! (And Boxing day, New Year's Day...)

It's tough but I'm just about managing. I'm being swamped by Things That Need Doing.

Penny

SEE...

LOL No you don't. I'd just wished everyone a Happy Thanksgiving in recent days to the point that it was sort of instinctive. I had completely forgotten you were from the UK. DOH! I DEFINITELY know what you mean by being swamped with things that need doing just now however. I've just completed the purchase of a mobile home for my brother to move into when he comes back from California and now need to get it cleaned and furniture installed so it's 'sort of' livable when he arrives. The next month is going to be quite 'interesting' trying to do all that along with getting ready for Christmas too.

glad you're back.

Tanya Allan's picture

Missed this.

Tanya

There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!

So happy...

thliwent's picture

To see the following:

The story continuing, though the delays in writing are perfectly understandable.

And to see Garia helping to make another place better.

Too many managers, seems it's

Too many managers, seems it's common everywhere. I wonder who's sticking their hand in the cookie jar and stealing all the best cookies. Great to see a new chapter, hope you're feeling well.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Shake it up.

This might be the first time many of these military people have had to react with rank and file people in a peace time non military fashion. Peaceful governorship is well out of there understanding.

We have our National Guard who have more policing training to aid in them working with the local civilian population. This delay will again spread the fact that the prince and Garia know how to get things done. And that the prince is a man who will get the facts before doing something. People normally only find out what the new king knows or does not know about the rigors of the job after the fact of the King dies..

Keren is learning by doing in a very high profile manner. Keren and Garia work like a fine oiled machine making the separation of the two a bad idea.

Huggles
Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

From one mess into another...

So it seems as though there was little dispute over cleaning up Holville, there were some who were rather more enthusiastic than others (to say the least), seemingly preferring a scorched earth policy of getting rid of as many townspeople (both miners and women) and structures as possible so as to restart from a blank slate. Add on the fun of a Babel-like situation (except that rather than oodles of different languages, there are oodles of different chains of command, with little to no cooperation) and the town's gone from one huge environmental mess into one huge organisational mess.

It wouldn't surprise me if before the party leaves, Garia finds that some of the women have skills that can contribute to the town in ways other than household chores (which they hate) or "servicing" the men. Her carry document, combined with Keren's authority as heir apparent, should hopefully help to inflict a better sense of organisation, while they'll also hopefully find out who's been (ir)responsible for the food situation.

-oOo-

Meanwhile, welcome back Penny! I hope both you and your house are in better health :)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Wherever there's a system ...

there's a scam. That's always the way it seems. The more sophisticated the systems, the more sophisticated the scams.

That's why we have juries. They circumvent the legal systems and very occasionally inject some common sense into the situation. Not often mind, but enough to keep lawyers on their toes.

Good story Penny.

Thanks again and I hope real life is improving for you.

Bevs.

XX

bev_1.jpg

Thanks, Bev

I'm finding the time to write but only at the expense of putting other jobs on the back shelf.

Some of these are old-style military types - of various and questionable quality - sent off by distant nobles who probably resent being asked to spend coin by their Duke. It's hardly surprising that some of them will try and take advantage of what is obviously a chaotic situation.

Prince Keren is going to have his work cut out thinking of answers to some of the problems, though.

Penny

Thank the Maker!

I have been beside myself, beside myself so many times awaiting this installment I was beginning to develop multiple personalities. Thank you for breaking SEE the draught!

Lots to overcome

There will be lots to overcome, not the least of which will be prejudice based on class, status and sex. One person and only one person will have to have the ultimate authority. All others will have to answer to them and follow their orders. If they won't accept those conditions then they will have to leave. Only when that happens will progress occur. I see it coming in the next episode.

Thanks for continuing this, Penny.

Much Love,

Valerie R

Quite happy to see this chapter.

Everyone here is well aware of your health issues, so please to not over tax yourself, please.

So, Garia and Keren's reputation preceeds them does it? Some how I had forgotten Holeville. What a mess!

So, I do hope that the mess can be sorted in due course.

Much peace

Gwendolyn

One Town at a Time

terrynaut's picture

Yay! I'm very happy to see another chapter of this story. And I was bouncing in my seat when I saw Snep made an appearance.

Hi Snep!

I like the little micro delays. They are necessary and they add depth to the story. Please do continue to sprinkle them liberally throughout your story.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

It is great to SEE another chapter of SEE

I apologize for not commenting earlier and more often on this wonderful story. I can not keep all the animals, places, nobles and castles straight but I am happy in my ignorance.

When I first happened on this tale I read through the four books at one sitting, well not exactly true with bathroom and food breaks but over two days and one night. Yes I do have a addiction habit and don't know when to quit. This story is that good.

Thank you Penny but I do wonder about what type of planet and beings are pulling strings on this world.

Katelyn

The Gazetteer

Is something that I originally set up strictly for myself. Then I realized that it would also be useful to Penny and sent her a copy. Then we both realized how useful this would be for all of the readers of this epic. The SEE Gazetteer is actually my first compilation even though the DRU Gazetteer was posted here at BCTS first. I even have a Gazetteer for Penny's "The State does not make mistakes". Penny also has a copy of that one as well but it will not be posted until she is ready to post it.

Planets and strings

You're not thinking big enough. These are Vast Multi-dimensional Beings and their interests are correspondingly larger.

More about the VMBs and their plans will be revealed before the end of the story, I can promise.

As for maps, places and names, I have problems remembering it all myself. The maps and gazetteeer have proved a godsend as the story has unfolded. Many kudos must go to those who have (to my shame) provided material I ought to have supplied myself.

Penny

All these delays

On the trip back are proving to be beneficial, both for the areas they stop in, and the dynamic duo, if I may borrow a term from somewhere else there. As has been already mentioned several times, these delays let people see their future king taking thoughtful, decisive action when needed and also Garia doing the same. The two do work very well together and manage to get things accomplished (organizationally, Socially, and in so many other ways) that it should be clear to anyone paying attention that Garia will make a very good queen and compliment to Keren as King.

I, too was happy to see another chapter of this.

Maggie

I'm glad to see this latest chapter of SEE

Looks like Garia and Keren have a bit of work cut out for them before they can move on from Holeville. With all the confusion caused by so many arms men of many different allegiances, this just might provide an ideal time for some agents of Yod to to make another attempt at kidnapping Garia again. They've been far to quite of late, so it seems very likely to me that they're about due to make an appearance shortly. I look forward to seeing what solution Garia comes up with for helping the women there.

Thank you Penny for creating such a delightful and enjoyable world for us to read about.
Hugs,

Tamara Jeanne

I don't think so. It seems

I don't think so. It seems to me that Yod shot their bolt with the attempt on Garia using shotguns. (or perhaps blunderbusses would be better)

As it is, the remaining Yodelalehooligans will have to 1) heal. 2) get back in touch with their superiors, and 3) rebuild their strength of arms. It's apparent that the ones they pre-positioned are basically gone (the miners), and you can't replace those overnight.

I'd give it two to three months, minimum.

Oh - yeah. The sulphur in the powder would tend to reduce infection risk slightly. (and the saltpetre)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

The firearms

The historical name for the type weapon used is Hand Gonne which is really a hand-held cannon as opposed to a primitive shotgun or blunderbuss. It is essentially a more primitive version of the swivel gun used primarily by Naval forces as a very short-ranged anti-personnel weapon during the days of sail.

progress without destruction

I know you are headed towards fossil fules for power but what about magnetic propulsion?

It would meen advancment without destroying their planed as we have/are doing.

fossil fules will still be needed but not in such great quantities (forges etc) but cleaner advancment would be easier and quicker to achive.

http://fuel-efficient-vehicles.org/energy-news/?page_id=980 this site is to Nikola Tesla life and the ideas that were stopped.

Theres probably a few magnets around blackstone that could creat a larg enough generator to power all the village?

Fossil fuels

At least by the experience of those of us on Earth I can't see any way to get to electric/magnetic power except by going through the fossil fuel stage.

Garia's intention is to shorten that stage by introducing the principles of electricity and magnetism much earlier than happened here, thus reducing the side effects.

Once you have electric power distribution, that enables you to concentrate generation somewhere else, and later on those generators can be upgraded/replaced to use greener fuels/sources as circumstances demand.

As you point out, fossil fuels will still be required for making steel and, later, plastics but they would be considered "feedstocks" in those cases.

Penny

One of the major problems

One of the major problems with all of the various 'alternative' energy sources is that they are extremely limited (and often poisonous to the environment). Geothermal is about the only one that's not as limited, but it only works well in specific areas, and then you have to be concerned about sediment or straight out corrosion. (Hydroelectric has the same issue of geography, AND you have to flood/destroy enormous amounts of living space/crop land to build the reservoirs to have the pressure you need)

Nuclear power is the cleanest form of 'large scale' energy we've found - we just have too many people that want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and aren't willing to consider what it would take to deal with the few downsides. To use an example, the South Texas Nuclear project has been running for 25 years and has yet to explode, contaminate, or any of the other various 'eek' scenarios. The _two_ nuclear plants in Texas produce 10% of the state's power - and we're probably the most air conditioned state out there.

Solar power sounds great, but producing the photovoltaic panels is toxic. Fluorescent lights are power efficient, sort of, but they are toxic - and we toss them in landfills because the government mandates them but doesn't mandate recycling for them. (as in there is no place for most people to recycle them)

Wind farms? They take a lot of space, only work well in certain areas (either on very flat land or in mountains) and have been known to kill a lot of birds. (I'm not so worried about that one) The maintenance is very dangerous as well.

Tidal generators? We've been working on those for 30+ years, and they still aren't in use.

LED's? They sound great, but it's been three years since Congress has been banning regular light bulbs, and they _just now_ developed (Cree) a LED omnidirectional light bulb that doesn't look like a perverted corncob. They also cost between 50 and 80 times as much as a standard bulb.

So, the best thing to do is to go fossil until nuclear power can be developed/enabled - which won't be long - and try to keep a lid on the bomb. Luckily, you really have to work at it to make a nuclear bomb. They may be simple (sort of), but you can't have one happen by accident.

Oh, yeah. Alcohol. Sounds like a great idea, but despite being a hot fuel, it's not as calorie efficient as petro fuels. You also need heat and sugars to make it. If you could combine it with a nuclear plant, it'd be pretty efficient to make - main waste byproduct of nukes is heat, main need for fermentation is heat.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

organizing Holeville

this is gonna take some doing ...

DogSig.png

Trouble

How are they going to pull this off?

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

More little Napoleons?

Jamie Lee's picture

It really sounds as though Gil needs to do a proper house cleaning of those thinking themselves lords of their own realms, instead of Stewards of Gil's lands.

Even though those women may earn their living servicing men, they have no right to be treated as they are being treated. Garia and Keren may have just gained more followers because of what they are about to do. And piss off more of those who think themselves to big for their own boots.

If soliders are doing the heavy work then it should be at the direction of the guildmen, not their commanders--who know squat about building a town.

Maybe it would be best is Garia put on her swords while the refurbishments are conducted. One or two might take exception to what she has to say, or try and manhandle her.

Others have feelings too.