It’s difficult being a Draenei.

Printer-friendly version

Just a little drabble I wrote while I was playing WoW. It started with the question "What would happen if a WoW character came to earth?"

It’s difficult being a Draenei.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Kiste, and I am a Draenei. If you’ve played World of Warcraft you know what a Dranei is, although you may wonder what I am doing in your world. If you haven’t picture a person with blue skin, horns on their head, goat hooves instead of feet, a tail, and standing about 7’6.

Pretty much the church description of the devil, except for the colour. Even in the most accepting country in the world (Canada) this is the first difficulty I encountered. Lost, not understanding this strange world full of gnomish looking machinery (except that it almost all works), people ran away from me. For a while at least, then an angry mob chased me carrying a cross. How I ran.

Even now some view me as a demon, others label me alien, some want to worship me. I am most at home amongst those who know what I truly am, and even among this group, these players of a game, many treat me as a deity. I am a person, different from you in form only. Accept me that way.
ӬHowever you feel on meeting me, pause and think of how I feel. I am torn from my world, torn to never be in the presence of my gods. Alone. Surrounded.

And how to make my way in a world where money is but paper, where my skills are hardly needed.

I thought to mine metals and make weapons and armour for sale, but where metals are, I am not allowed to mine them, being told they already belong to someone. And the market for swords and plate mail armour is small, and usually broke.

I thought to find work as a warrior for good, but either I subsume myself under the authority of others, and learn to fight in their way, carrying guns, I am not allowed to. Why once I faced off some criminals, threatening them only, with my axe, and what happens? They are left to roam the streets, preying on others, while I am put into the stockades and forced to “pay society for my crimes.” What crime? At least they returned my possessions, but told me not to carry them around.

At least I do not have to deal with the Horde, no undead, no tauren, no orks or trolls, except in a thing called movies, which I am told are make-believe. Odd, why would anyone want to pretend that such exist?

Human doors have long been my bane, but at least back in Azeroth I could stay in dwarvish areas. Here there are no dwarves, and even past the doorway, the ceilings are too low for comfort.

up
66 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

lol

have to ask

"I have a wonderful recipe. Take two gnomes and two eggs.. Beat the gnomes seperate the eggs... Or was it... Ah details!"

Telsys ele/resto shaman 285420 hk to date....on just that char.

Gnomes NOT Food!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Gnomes NOT Food!

This message brought to you by the TransDimensional Gnome Pixie Alliance & sponsored by the GNF. Wee Bite Back!

>i<

harumph

PVP? Ick!!! I'm a healer, not a fighter! :(
Esmay resto/ele Tauren Shaman - semi-retired, figured out I am too old to play any more after 104+ deaths attempting cloak quest

Canada

Sadarsa's picture

I would imagine that she'd have no freedom either... being a prisoner of the government and possibly a test subject or something.

"Even in the most accepting country in the world (Canada) this is the first difficulty I encountered."

Humm well this statement seemed a little biased, so i decided to start looking it up. Well, a lot of different surveys went by different things, such as polls or marriage laws, and Canada was always up there in the top 3, but one country came out on top every time. Spain.... Who'da thunk it? I'd place Canada as #2 and Germany 3rd.

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Honestly being seen as a

Honestly being seen as a demon shouldn't be that big a surprise for a Draenai. They are the non-corrupted Eredar after all.
The only reason the character is useless is because she plays a warrior. I think a mage, priest, paladin, shaman or even death-knight would find itself in high demand.

For the Horde!!

Die, space goat!!!

Die?

You'll have to come to earth.

For the Alliance....Thwip!

If you never saw it, there was a cute little comic called LFG. It had this one scene where a NE hunter was attacking with that saying and a BE priest was say rather boredly "For the Horde, Heal..."

At the final picture was an Orc just full of arrows. "I don't care which of you stops. Just stop already!"

With SFA

And wealthy who would buy hand made items, I think if you have skills as a blacksmith you could earn a good living. Maybe you'd be better off someplace in the US where everyone is weird, like some parts of LA!

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Actualy, About Armor and such.

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

There is a pretty good market for hand made armor, full suits or piecemeal. You need to know where and to meet the right specifications. It would mostly need to look like earth historical pieces within certain limits and also meet certain safety rules which is one of the limits effecting looks. These would be for members of "Historical Reenactment Societies". Historical And Fantasy pieces would also be of interest to the LARP(Live action Role Playing) groups. And of course there is also an possible market for movie And TV props that would however require making the right connections.

There definite is also a niche market Weapons just to hang on the wall. While real weapons are not used in the action reenactments accept for choreographed shows, they are however often worn as part of costumes and collected by members who are aficionados.

.

Further personal notes:
And yes I own two swords a suit of leather armor with two alternate steel helms to go with it.
And there are women who do the armor part making and wearing, so it should not preclude Trans. In fact the reenactment groups seem to be some of the most open and tolerant groups I have encountered as far as RL identity goes, race creed sexuality etc.

PS. I even know a woman who makes steel armor pieces both as a hobby and as a side income.

OK, so I am Different (or is that Normal) in more then two ways,
~Hypatia >i< ..:::

Seems that you have....

Missed the RIFT.

note: WoW is on hold, but RIFT is good medicine. lol

Hugs, Fran