The Hand We're Dealt: Prologue

Printer-friendly version

What will it take to make the most of the hand we've been dealt in life.

"Where should I start?" was what I asked Dr.Beverly. We where In a large office that resembled a library, there where old books lining the book cases that covered every wall ceiling to floor.

"Start at the beginning, or where you feel most comfortable". Dr.Beverly was an older woman, possibly in her late fifties. Her hair was a very light blonde color, almost silver.

"Well I was born Ronald Paterson." I looked at her to see her reaction but she just gave me an encouraging smile as if to say 'go on'. Of course she already knew most of what had happened to me, the police chief personaly gave her my file when I was escorted in.

"Um, well... I was a fairly normal teenage boy, 5 foot 8 inches, brown hair& eyes, I wasn't really muscular but I wasn't scrawny either. I was normal. But all that changed when I was thirteen. I remember that day, a Tuesday, it had been raining all day and the thunder shook the house every few minutes.
" Ronnie, car alarm!" My mother called from the kitchen, the thunder had set the alarm off.
"Ugh ok, I'll take care of it!"
"Thank you!"

I grabbed my coat and the key as I walked out the door into the rain, thats when I felt it. The strangest sensation I've ever felt, all the hair on my body stood on end, the air had a metallic smell to it, then.....

I woke up in a hospital, the intense white color of the room hurting my eyes. I felt like I had been hit by a cement truck, a flaming cement truck. My whole body ached, my throat was sore and when I tried to speak I was stopped by a breathing tube. I had tried sitting up but I didnt have the strength as sleep over took me, and thats when the nightmares started.

They where terrible, and it was the same one over and over.

I would find myself in a dark corridor running, running from something... terrible. I don't know what I was running from but I do know I don't want it to catch me. Then my legs start to feel heavy and I have touble moving them, my whole body freezes up into a marble block. Then it catches me and its a stone mason and he says' hidden inside every block of marble is an angel of immense beauty, and its my job to break her out" he then starts chipping away at me, it's excruciatingly painful, everytime he chips away he reveals a little more of the person beneath. Once he's done a beautiful girl is all thats left. Then it starts again.

up
150 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I know its short

Hey guys and gals, I know its really short. I have chapter 1 and half of chapter 2 finished already but I want to see what kind of response I get before I post them.


A picture...

Andrea Lena's picture

...the image of the stone mason is such a powerful picture; even in all of the chips and cuts and cracks opened by that chisel we call life? Thank you, Chii; nice beginning!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Danke Schön

Thankyou, I actualy used to have that exact dream when I was a child.


Nice start

thing is do not wait for comments, as quite a few wait till there is 2 or 3 chapters before they read a new story and then leaving a comment, some need a large sample to make that leap

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

oh.

Well thanks for the heads up, I wont make this mistake again...


The hands

Leigh Veritas's picture

I am intrigued already, as Andrea said already the images are powerful. I am quite interested to see where this leads to. thank you for writing it.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
Mark Twain.

Leigh Veritas

danke

Thanks for the feed back, im glad that you enjoyed the prologue.


A very interesting start!

D. Eden's picture

I can't wait to see where it goes.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus