Chocolate, Strawberry, and Vanilla

Printer-friendly version

Imagine a rather run-of-the-mill fast-food restaurant where we find (what appears to be) two boys and a girl, goofing around and acting like typical teenagers. Each is as different as their chosen beverage, yet something unique has brought them together. Allow your minds eye to zoom in and listen as a perhaps not-so-typical scene unfolds.

Chocolate, Strawberry, and Vanilla
Copyright 2006 by Heather Rose Brown
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Clark did a waddling shuffle with his cup until it was near the middle the table. "Hello there Mister Artificially-And-Naturally-Strawberry-Flavored-Non-Dairy-Dessert-Beverage!"

TC imitated Clark's actions with his own cup, nearly knocking over the plastic tray filled with our combined orders of slowly cooling french fries. "Hello there Mister Artificially-And-Naturally-Chocolate-Flavored-Non-Dairy-Dessert-Beverage!"

A wicked grin stretched across Clark's face. "You wanna make out, Mister Artificially-And-Naturally-Strawberry-Flavored-Non-Dairy-Dessert-Beverage?"

TC matched Clark's grin. "Oh, and how, Mister Artificially-And-Naturally-Chocolate-Flavored-Non-Dairy-Dessert-Beverage."

They slid their cups closer, making loud kissing noises. I stopped slurping my vanilla milkshake and groaned. "I can't believe you guys."

Clark stopped in the middle of a pretty wet sounding kissing sound and looked at me. "You mean you can't believe I can say 'Mister Artificially-And-Naturally-Strawberry-Flavored-Non-Dairy-Dessert-Beverage' all in one breath?"

I shook my head at my two long-time friends. "No. I just can't believe you two can act so ... gay."

TC let go of his cup as if it had suddenly turned hot. "What? What'd I do now?"

I sighed and tried to not sound annoyed at needing to state the obvious. "Boys don't do kissing stuff."

Clark tilted his head, raising one eyebrow. "So says the boy in the cute denim skirt?"

I reached under the table and tried to pulling at the skirt so it would cover more. Even though I didn't think anyone could see my bare legs while I was sitting in the booth near the wall and had Clark on the outside blocking anyone who might have tried looking under the table, I still felt almost naked without my familiar jeans. "Hey, I only did it so TC wouldn't feel alone going out as a guy for the first time."

When I gave up the fight with the skirt and rested my arms on the table, TC reached around the tiny mountain of fries and gently rested his hand over mine. "Thanks, I really appreciate it." He looked back and forth between me and Clark. "You two are like the best friends a guy could ask for."

I was tempted to tell TC that guys didn't hold hands, but then I realized I probably didn't look like a guy, so I guessed it might be okay. Besides, it felt kind of nice. "You're welcome. What are friends for?"

Clark gently punched TC in the arm. "Any time, bud." He then looked at me and nodded at my cup. "Since you're into trying new things tonight, how about giving something besides vanilla a chance?"

I slid my hand out from under TC's and clutched at my cup. "I may be able to experiment with new fashions, but I will NOT give up my vanilla shake."

Even as I was saying it, I realized how silly I must have sounded, and started giggling. TC and Clark soon joined me. It had been a strange night and would probably get stranger, but it was a strangeness I could deal with when I knew Chocolate and Strawberry were willing to share it with a maybe not so plain Vanilla.

up
77 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yeah, Go On

joannebarbarella's picture

Great teaser.

Part 1, right?

This is just the beginning of something isn't it?

Good, but just the beginning.

More Strawberry, Chocolate, and Vanilla?

The scene here has been floating around my head for a while, but it didn't really gel until late last night. I hadn't been planning on adding anything else when I had posted this story, but over the day I've been thinking of other scenes showing glimpses of the lives of these three friends. I was thinking of doing something similar to the collection of drabbles in All of You, but make each entry around 500 words each instead of 100.

I don't know when I'll be adding more to this or my other stories, since I've been concentrating most of my energy on creating the images for the Sk8r Grrls Comix. It's been a pretty slow start, but I'm hoping I'll be able to get a better pace going once I've gotten my feet wet and am (hopefully) feeling a bit more confident.

Heather Rose Brown :)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

I hope my storyboard

isn't what is slowing you down... should I make it less involved next time?
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney

Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? Wait, no, that was God. Sorry, common mistake...

Just me being 'artistic'

That basically translate into me fussing and worrying and drawing and erasing and redrawing until the paper is nearly worn clear through. Part of me says, "Quit kvetching and just draw. There's been plenty of comics that looked a bit rougher on the first few pages than it did later on." Another part of me says, "Yeah, but ... I want it to look right." Yet another part of me says, "Would you two shut up and go to bed? It's two a.m. and some of us have to work in the morning."

I could probably go on, but that sorta gives you a little idea of what's been going on.

Heather Rose Brown :)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Cartoons?

Heather,
You have a way of synopsizing some interesting relationships with your text. You also clearly have a talent for "imaging" what your mind imagines. You do not need the "help" of anyone in BC. You have a huge talent, now just unleash it upon us! :)

Gwen

Gwen Lavyril

Gwen Lavyril

I get by with a little help from my friends.

I really appreciate the confidence you have in my abilities. I'm slowly learning to have more confidence in them without going overboard. Trying to find a healthy balance isn't all that easy. While I won't say I don't have skill, I do realize there's plenty for me to learn.

A lot of what I've already learned has come from feedback and helpful advice from people here at BC. Yes, I realized I could have learned it on my own, but I find it a lot more fun learning with other people. There is a point where I feel people are being too helpful, but I haven't felt that with anyone here. I really feel privileged to find myself amongst so many wonderful, caring people.

Heather Rose Brown :)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

I forget myself.

Heather,
I am full of opinions and short on answers. Whatever you are comfortable with by all means.

Gwen

Gwen Lavyril

Gwen Lavyril

Neopolitan float?

The scene here has been floating around my head for a while

Cherry Coke, or root beer?

Molly

"Sometimes, I just can't help myself!" -Babs Bunny

Molly

"Sometimes, I just can't help myself!" -Babs Bunny