When Your Tabula Is Not Rasa: 1

Printer-friendly version

 



When Your Tabula Is Not Rasa

Chapter One
by Kaleigh Way

Continuing the story of Dexie Lane, which began in What The Hell People.

 


"Alien technology plus human stupidity. Trust me, it's unbeatable." — The Eleventh Doctor


 

We had a hard time convincing the aliens that we didn't want our car repaired. I'm sure they never understood why we wanted it to remain a mess. They kept showing us pictures of how the car would look once they were done: all shiny and new, full tank of gas, all the dents, breaks, and damage gone. "All to the highest levels of current native technology," they said. I can still remember their puzzled expressions when we refused.

It was nothing compared to their reaction to what we wanted them to do with my old body.

The problem was, that if they fixed the car, we would have had a VERY hard time explaining how "Fred" had died. We would have had a car in better-than-new condition, and one very mangled body, obviously killed by a high-impact collision. We knew that the state trooper (and, we supposed, the local police) would probably understand, but I doubt that our insurance company was up to date regarding alien activity on Route 99.

For that reason, we didn't want the aliens to touch the car wreck, not even to fix the tiniest detail.

We also asked them to put my old body back where they'd found it. They were horrified by the request, but they did it.

Full of doubts and misgivings, in the end the aliens did as we asked, and with many a shudder they wished us goodbye and got the hell out of there, as fast as their flying saucer could carry them. I doubt that they ever came back to our planet again.

They took off just before sunrise, and in the growing light we took stock of ourselves.

"Fred" had looked a mangled mess when he was lying on the infirmary table. In the sun, on the grass, he was a heartrending sight. We had to move away from the broken, bleeding body. It was too much to bear.

The rest of us looked great, except for some rips and stains on our clothes.

The state trooper who responded to our call was the same one we'd met last night. He was clearly shaken by what happened to us, and apologized many times over, saying it was "all his fault."

"But, honestly, it's never happened before," he explained. "They've never hurt anyone before. I'm going to talk with my commanding officer to see if there is something we can do for you — not that anything can ever make up for—"

As shaken as he was, the trooper was the one who suggested the line we should take. "I'm sorry to say this, ma'am," he said to Kristy Anne, "But it would be best for all of you if you say your husband was driving. I know it sounds callous, but the insurance company isn't going to believe that you were running from UFOs. Now, if we say that he was doing the driving, then it's simple: he made a wrong turn and hit the gas instead of the brake. End of story. But if you say the girl was driving, she'll end up being charged with vehicular manslaughter, and that can be prosecuted as a felony. And felonies are forever."

As grisly as it sounded, we all agreed. The trooper wrote up our statements, quizzed us on them, and made sure we understood the importance of sticking to our stories.

Then the scene got mighty crowded: the coroner came, an ambulance came, the tow truck came, and more police arrived. The local newspeople showed up as well, though the police kept them at bay. The EMTs checked us over. The police asked us questions and took our statements a second time. As we left, I saw the trooper talking with the coroner.

One of the local police gave us a ride down the dirt road back to the highway, where Aggie was waiting. She brought us back to her house, where we all fell apart. The four of us cried until we were exhausted.

After that, there were phone calls to be made: the insurance company, the coroner, the funeral home, my brother and sister, our close friends... and we had to rent a car to get back home.

"I've got to make the calls," Kristy Anne said. "Like it or not, you're just an eighteen-year-old kid who's not even related."

"I'll say I'm you," I told her, and I began banging down the list. I could handle the business end of my death; Unfortunately, I had to leave the more difficult calls — the ones to friends and family — to Kristy Anne.

After I'd made all the calls on my list, I was itching to get home. There were so many things to do, now that I was dead: there was my life insurance, my 401k... I had to get my name off all our accounts, and there were all my belongings to clean up.

"Oh, there's one more person you need to call," Kristy Anne told me. "Your mother."

"My mother?" I repeated. "My mother's dead."

"Not your mother, dummy, Dexie's mother. Her mother in Spokane. She's expecting you. You need to call her and put off the trip."

I tried to fish in Dexie's bag for the number, but it was so hopelessly full of junk, I ended up dumping the contents on the floor. Among the debris was a scrap of paper with the name "Lizzie Martineau" and a number in the 509 area code. I called the operator and was told that 509 would be right for Spokane. So I dialed the number and got voicemail. The message was the standard, out-of-the-box message. I wasn't sure what to say, so I hung up, composed myself and called again. I told the machine that I was Dexie. I explained about the accident, said I was fine, but that I wasn't sure when I'd be coming. I said I'd be in touch.

That seemed to be all that could be done for now. I smiled at Kristy Anne. She looked at me with a sad look and sighed.

"This is way beyond strange," she said. "I don't think the impact of all these changes has even remotely begun to hit us. It's awful having to tell everyone that you're dead when you're sitting right there, where I can reach out and touch you."

"I know," I said.

"Do you?" she countered. "I don't think you realize that even if you're not really dead, for all intents and purposes, you might as well be."

"What do you mean?"

"Don't you understand? We've lost each other. I've lost my husband! You've lost your wife!"

Her words hit me like a Mack truck. "What do you mean? We haven't lost each other! I'm not going anywhere!"

"You are an eighteen-year-old girl, regardless of what you are inside. You're not Fred Holderlin anymore, and you're not Dexie Lane. You're not my husband any more, and I'm not your wife. What's happened to us is worse than any divorce. We're friends now, sure, but for one thing, we can't sleep together anymore."

"Why?"

"It would be too weird," she said. "I'm sorry." She stood up to leave. Then she added, "And think of Carla: she's lost her father and her best friend."

"I'm both now. Can't I be both?"

"No," she said. "It's just not possible."

She stood in silence for a minute or so. Then she drew a deep breath and said, "There is one more phone call to make, but I don't have the energy for it."

"Can I do it?"

"Yes. Can you check our answering machine at home? I can't deal with it right now. I'm off to bed. I'm exhausted, I hope I can sleep. I think Carla left you the bottom bunk." With that, she shuffled out.

I sat alone, looking through the glass doors at the blackness outside. It was hard to not feel guilty about the state of things. Was any of it my fault? I didn't think so, but for some reason I felt that it was. Somehow, it seemed, I'd hurt everyone that I cared about, and I didn't see how to fix it. So, yes, I felt guilty. I felt something else, too: excitement. I fwas swimming in a heady mix of guilt and excitement.

Thank goodness Kristy Anne and Carla had gotten some benefit from the aliens — physically, they were never better. Kristy Anne looked twenty years younger. The excess pounds she'd been carrying were gone, along with her wrinkles and gray hair. She'd gone from being legally blind to not needing glasses at all.

And Carla — her epilepsy was gone, along with some other, more minor issues. Well, minor to me -- probably her issues with digestion and acne were major for her.

So... considering what the two of the gained, it wasn't as though I won the lottery and left everyone else in the poor house.

But I really had won the lottery, hadn't I? I'd been entirely reset: I was back at the beginning of life. Sure, I'd have to learn about being a girl, but how hard would that be? And sure, our family relationships would change... I wasn't sure what they'd be like, but how could it be bad? Maybe Kristy Anne was just tired. I tried to look at myself from her point of view, but I couldn't do it. I couldn't make the mental leap to put myself in their shoes. I sat down and made an effort to imagine how I must seem now to Kristy Anne and Carla. I tried, but I couldn't get there. it was too hard, too foreign. I mean, for Carla — I was still her dad, wasn't I? Inside? And outside, I was her best friend. I knew it was mixed up and messed up, but I thought I could make it work.

Then in a sudden moment, I abruptly felt very, very tired, as if the weight of the day snuck up and settled over me. My brain couldn't think any more; all I wanted to do was drop into bed. I was sure I'd fall asleep in a moment.

But first I dialed our home number and listened to our voicemail messages. I wrote down names and numbers; there was nothing that couldn't wait, and nothing I didn't expect.

Except for one message: it was from Dexie's mother. Not the one in Spokane, but the mother she grew up with. And the message was this:

Dexie, you were supposed to pick up your belongings BEFORE you left for Spokane, but you didn't.
Just remember that trash day is Tuesday, and if any of your stuff is still here, out it goes.

That was it. No hello or goodbye. No humanity or kindness. I felt my fists ball up and my jaw set. A moment ago I was ready to drop into bed and sleep. Now an angry fire burned inside me. I looked at the clock. It was too late to call back, but oh, did I want to.

up
162 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Pass the polari

erin's picture

As long as your capella is still bona, I mean, nanti worries, 'miright?

Honest, the first thing I did with your title was try to parse it as Polari. :)

Cute story and good start on a new book.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Honest to Area 51

erin's picture

I had totally forgotten about the earlier story and I even left comments on it urging you to write this one.

What the HELL people, what the hell? For sure.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Good start

It's an interesting situation, and I'm glad they're trying to deal with the aftermath. Kirsty is taking a hard line right now, and the conflict between her and Fred/Dexie, who clearly wants to stay together, should be interesting. Looking forward to the next part.

titania.jpg

Titania

Lord, what fools these mortals be!

I Agree

Nice continuation of the original story. I'm so glad that you are finding time to write again.

Will someone please ...

.. tell me what the original story is? I'm quite happy for a story to start mysteriously and then gradually explain the weirdness but if I need to read something else first it would be really helpful to know what it is.

There are some categories I automatically dismiss, Whately Academy, super-heroes, and most popular culture, for example, so if the original is labelled with one of those, I won't have read it. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those categories btw, it's just that they don't appeal to me personally. A pity really because there are some excellent writers in those categories judging from their other output.

Robi

More than five years ago...

At the very top of the story is this line (which has the link to the original story):

Continuing the story of Dexie Lane, which was begun in What The Hell People.

The original story was written in 2008, so even if you had read it, you might not remember it.

Thanks Kayeigh.

Having a memory span similar to a goldfish, you're probably right :) ... and it's my extra old birthday next week which doesn't help.

R

Please Continue Continuing

terrynaut's picture

I remember this story well but I still had to go back and reread it. This is great stuff.

I look forward to seeing how Dexie makes out. She's got a whole new life to build! That would be exciting and a tad frightening too I imagine.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Hey, Kaleigh....

Interesting story; I wonder how all these problems would work out?

I had to reread What the Hell People; I couldn't remember any of it. My poor memory, nothing on you.

OK, this is dumb of me, I guess I can't help it (like I'm OCD about it or something). I also know it doesn't make any difference. It's just that:

1stly, I live in the Phoenix AZ area. We grow citrus. All citrus around here ripens from late Dec to (maybe) early March. Citrus in CA and FL ripens a little earlier than ours (2 to 4 weeks, I'd guess) cuz it's warmer there. Oranges at mid summer are brown and completely dried out.

2ndly, I was confused with driving times. I could look up OR on a map and figure things out, but I'll ignore that. Going from OR to where citrus grows in CA (like Orange county) must be a long trip, like more than 12 hours, one way.

Thanks for the good stories. Try not to worry about my craziness.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Oh dear

You must be right about the growing times. It is summer. When I lived in California I was in the rice-growing area, and hardly saw any citrus except in the grocery store, so it never occurred to me. I don't know how I'll fix the problem, but I'll find a way. Thanks for pointing it out.

They live up near Grass Valley, CA. It's a four-hour drive South to Exeter, so it's an eight-hour round trip.

The trip to Seattle from home is eleven hours. From there, it's four hours to Spokane, or eight-hours round trip.

Fred was planning on visiting Seattle. His wife tacked on the visit to Aggie in Exeter. That's an eight-hour extension (four hours each way), and taking Dexie from Seattle to Spokane so she can meet her mother is another eight-hour extension (four hours each way).

Oranges and seasons

erin's picture

California has a completely different climate from the Phoenix area. Southern California has mild rainy winters and warm/hot dry summers, Phoenix has hot summers with thunderstorms and monsoons but their winters are warm and usually dry.

We grow lots of oranges here in California. Navels ripen from December to June. Valencias ripen from May to December. Navels are mostly eating oranges, Valencias are mostly juice oranges, though some people prefer their milder taste. They grow both kinds in the Exeter area.

Another kind of orange, Tangelos, ripen from October to April. There are also Tangerines (several kinds with seasons similar to Tangelos) and Blood Oranges (Jan to Mar). Here in Southern California, at almost any time of year, you can find a tree that has ripe citrus fruit of some kind. We grow juice lemons here you will never see in stores because they are bigger than grapefruit and people wouldn't believe they were lemons. :)

The guy who owns the bookstore I work at does grove maintenance in the early mornings and weekends. Mostly citrus but also avocados, cherry, apple and walnut.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Whew!

That's a relief!

Thanks, Erin

Huh ?

You used to write such sweet simple stories too. What ?

Gwendolyn

I was thinking about that, too

I'm sure I will again. I think Top of the Tree is sweet and simple, and I do plan on writing several chapters about the summer that followed.

What happened is that when I first started writing here, I wanted to be funny all the time, but I began to get a lot of ideas that weren't really funny. I had the idea for The End of May (which was a ghost story) at the beginning of 2008, but didn't write it until 2012. I was holding out. I didn't want the idea, and didn't like it at first. I was hoping to write something silly and funny, like Topper.

I started looking at stories differently. My first Marcie Donner story isn't really a story. It's just a bunch of stuff that happens, then stops. I realized I wasn't thinking about plot, about where the story would end. I got stuck for four months on chapter 20 of Short Chapters, because I couldn't figure out how to get Victor into his uncle's car in a dress.

Also, in order to get stories moving along, I often asked myself, What would happen in real life? and often the answer was clearly, It will be a mess. Then I began to find those messes very interesting.

When I wrote What The Hell People, I didn't see how the story could continue at all. I figured, "She turned into a girl! The story's over." Because there was no tension (as far as I could see). She wouldn't walk around and have people ask, "Didn't you used to be a boy?" because as far as anyone knew, she always was a boy.

The thing I miss, and usually don't see until I start writing, is how the characters will feel. Writing is a way of making ideas concrete. It's just like when you draw a map. You can put anything on your map, even (to some extent) things that make no sense, but everything you draw has an implication. If you put a highway on your map because you need a highway in your story, the houses near the highway will hear the noise all the time. So a character in your story (a person who lives on your map) is not going to walk out and bask in the silence of the night.

Maybe I'm wrong, but a change like the Fred-to-Dexie change would upset everyone. For the new Dexie, everything is great. Through her eyes, everything is the same except that they need to bury his old body. Kristy Anne is the same; so is Carla and everyone else. But for everyone else, it's a great big mess. Fred doesn't realize that all his friends are going to miss him and mourn for him, and he won't be able to say, "Hey, I'm okay! Haw! Haw! Haw! Let's go get a beer!"

There is an idea that God, when he/she/it started the world, it was a huge roll of the dice. Nothing was predetermined. God him/her/itself didn't and doesn't know how it will all work out. It could all go incredibly wrong and finish in the worst was possible.

I really like that idea. It may sound horribly depressing, but what it means to me is that we actually DO have something to do here in this life, and that is to somehow push things in the right direction.

That's Dexie's situation right now. It could all end badly. But Dexie can try things, push things, change things. So can other people.

But, wow -- what if it all turned out okay? Wouldn't that be great?

WOW! So happy What the Hell People has been continued

I re-read the original and have a question.

I quote

>>After a long discussion with Kristy Anne and my tearful daughter, what they decided was this: They had one body, dead but not badly broken, and another, alive but beyond repair. They decided to take the good parts from one and put them into the other.

They repaired Dexie's broken bones, her bruises, and the damage to her soft tissue. Since my body, Fred's body, was beyond repair, they took my mind, my consciousness, my elan or spirit, and put it in her body.
>>

This seems self contradictory. But then we are dealing with VERY advanced aliens and teens at that so who knows if us humans correctly understood them.

My Q is, does anything of Dexie's brain and memories survive in the new her?

IE was this a full brain transplant, a partial and Dixie's motor center remains attached to his higher brains or did they repair her damaged brain and somehow literally put his memories, emotions etc in hers to replace hers?

My thought is , if the brain is hers biologically, then at some point her memories will resurface and become part of his.

Whatever the case I agree finding out who she is , what her place in life is is a big challenge.

Starting with her *pseudo parents*.

Dexie may have been so desperate for even a speck of their love she never said a bad word about their essential abandonment of her. But the new and improved Dexie has no such limitations.

I wonder will the children support her in a confrontation with these abusers via neglect, her legal parents? The older ones might as they gave her hand-me-downs as her so called parents could not bring themselves to cloth, feed her or even buy her fuckn' soap and TAMPONS!

Why the birth mom gave her up yet waited until she was 18 to contact her is odd too.

And what of Fred/Dexie's wife and daughter. Now all are healthy... and maybe even enhanced. Let's face it, the aliens were desperate their "parents" not find out what idiots they had been.

So can the new Dexie/Fred find a way to remain close to the wife and daughter.

The original says mom looks a good 20 years younger so could they be lesbian lovers now, IE the apparent age difference is more reasonable now? And can Lexie Mark 2 make a new friendship with the daughter?

Plus in the long run will Dexie Mark 2 resume his old profession -- he was recently retired -- or will she follow a new career path? Perhaps a path Fred wanted to go down but the duties of a wife and family prevented/? IW=E What will SHE do with this second chance? And will she stay with the birth mom for a while as she first agreed before the accident?

And what of love? He, well his memories want the wife but will the new Dexie desire her? If she finds she is attracted to men what will she do?

And as the mom is now significantly younger and with her terrible eyesight repaired and with the daughters mild epilepsy and other minor problems gone/cured, what of their lives?

Will they have problems proving who they were?

This is very much a stranger is a strange land.

Thanks for bringing this funny yet serious/sad tale back to life.

We are not worthy!

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

My Father The Car

Hi, John!

Some of your questions put me in mind of one of my daughter's friends, who is an big fan of Doctor Who. The girls were discussing an episode of How I Met Your Mother that featured time travel. The girl scoffed and said, "Time travel doesn't work like that!"

Of course she's right that things need to make sense.

So... after the accident, Dexie was dead. Fred was banged up badly, but alive.

They could fix Dexie's body, but they couldn't revive her. At some point, even the most advanced technology fails. I would imagine that the attempt to revive her would depend in part on her willingness to come back.

And Fred... maybe the aliens should have put his consciousness into something else. I suppose they could have fixed the car, really souped it up, and put Fred's consciousness in there. But then it wouldn't be a TG story. It would be My Father The Car.

It wasn't a brain transplant. They wiped her memories and put his in.

As to the exact mechanism, let me put it this way: if we were scientists studying what happened, we would have to conclude that we don't understand how it worked or even how it could work, and that what happened seems to disregard and contradict many things we know and believe about the functions of the brain and how those functions and memories are mapped, etc., but as far as we can tell nothing of Dexie remains except her body.

Dexie's memories won't resurface.

The new Dexie will have a big talk with her father, but I can guarantee you will be surprised at what he has to say.