The Angry Mermaid 104 or Y Morforwyn Dicllon 104.

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Elements: 

TG Themes: 

Other Keywords: 

Permission: 

The Angry Mermaid 104
Or
Y Morforwyn Dicllon 104.

http://www.westernyachtclub.com/chartsbundle/CHARTS/1548.htm
http://www.westernyachtclub.com/chartsbundle/CHARTS/1549.htm
http://www.westernyachtclub.com/chartsbundle/CHARTS/1540.htm

Drustina uses wit and cunning plus the inherent advantages of her Mermaid class of vessels, to defeat the Vikings on their favoured medium, namely the sea.

Author's note.

There is truly a rock called 'The Cock Rock' a couple of nautical miles west of Limerick in the Shannon Estuary.

By the time the Viking Longship had settled hard on the bottom with its hull jammed tight against the remaining stakes Carl and Heliox were entering the river. As they passed Runekirk point they quickly spotted Dorvan signalling frantically from the abandoned church tower. They could identify his banner and armour but they could not make out what he was shouting. Heliox fell in alongside Carl as they discussed the situation.

“It certainly looks like Dorvan.” Carl mused.

“Yes, but is it a trap? The Vikings might have captured him and are using him to entrap us.”

Carl turned to both crews.

“I need a volunteer to go ashore with me in the little boat.”

He was encouraged and pleased that every hand shot up with obvious enthusiasm. Obviously they now trusted him to lead them into the jaws of hell and he smiled as he kept his thoughts secret.


‘Dru, now I know how it feels to be a popular and trusted leader. You are a lucky girl my love
!’

He became aware of Heliox studying him.

“Penny for your thoughts Saxon.”

Carl grinned somewhat embarrassedly.

“I was just thinking how Drustina must feel to have men follow her with such loyalty and enthusiasm.”

“It just makes for more responsibility." Heliox grinned then pointed to one of the crew. "I would recommend Carno; he’s a good rower and a proven hand with a sword.”

Carl accepted Heliox’s advice and soon the two men were rowing for the shore. Dorvan came dashing from the church to the shore and splashed into the shallows to meet the boat.

He wasted no time explaining the situation as he returned to Carl’s ship.

“Drustina’s on the East bank just by the first bend where the river begins to narrow. That promontory is called Carrigclogher point. She will be somewhere just past the bend preparing a place where we can get the trebuchet ashore.

Whatever you do, do not go around the second bend. We have the endless whip stretched across the river to get men and stores across. Then just above that we have set heavy stakes in the river bed to make a ship trap. It worked well for there is already one sunken Viking ship that hit the stakes. I’ll tell you all about it as we make our way up the river.”

Refreshed from their brief rest, both crews set to their oars again and they soon arrived at a point where Drustina had fashioned a crude ramp of stones and wood. With over three hundred men and horses, the trebuchet was quickly landed and immediately hauled eastwards up-river towards Limerick. Drustina explained that they would travel as far up the river bank as they could until they encountered the Viking fleet and they would wait there for Carl’s ships.

“Dorvan speaks of a place called ‘The Cock Rock’ and he says there is a large assortment of stones of various sizes all around on the rocky shore just there. I’m hoping you’ll be able load some stones for us there unless the Vikings are not passed that point.”

“And do we still load some stones even if the Vikings have passed beyond it.” Carl asked.

The young guide answered for she had good local knowledge.

“If the Vikings have passed above the Cock Rock they’ll be just about knocking on the walls of Limerick. I know of two other places where you can load stones before the Cock Rock. If you take me with you I can show them to you.”

Before Drustina could decide, Carl answered for her as he grinned at the brave teenage girl.

“Climb aboard young-un. What I’ve been wanting all the way since Askea is somebody with good local knowledge.”

“So have I.” Drustina protested. “I need her more than you if we are to find the best route for the trebuchet!”

The girl kept glancing towards Carl and Drustina until she realised, Drustina’s need was probably greater. Drustina however could see Carl’s need so they compromised.

“The girl can stay with me and we can scout ahead with a score of fast horsemen. She will show them the road then she and I will ride along the foreshore and signal where the stony places are. Set yourselves plenty of sharp eyed lookouts to watch for our arrows. We’ll use red smoke when we reach a stony patch and green smoke if we catch up with the Vikings. You’ll know what to do.”

“Right. And if I encounter the Vikings, I’ll fire off some green signals as well.”

Having sorted out the next phase with Carl, Drustina and the girl raced to catch up with the lumbering trebuchet while Carl and Heliox returned to the River Shannon. It was no good loading stones where the trebuchet had been put ashore because the two mermaids would have been too heavy to row against the ebb tide for nearly ten miles. For the moment, the mermaids needed all the speed and manoeuvrability they possessed in case they encountered the main Viking fleet.

Once they caught up with the trebuchet, Drustina made arrangements with Udris while Dorvan selected his best riders to act as relay messengers to keep Udris advised of the best route. With tasks and duties apportioned, Drustina rode off with the local girl and a dozen well armed companions in case they encountered any Vikings ashore as they scoured the banks of the River Shannon to locate the best stone deposits.

It wasn’t long before Drustina’s band came upon the first signs of the battle that was obviously raging further up the river. The occasional body and some broken planks were mute evidence of a brutal conflict further upstream. Drustina realised that most of the bodies were Hibernian fighters and for a moment she wondered whether she was too late. She expressed these fears to her companions and a depressing silence settled upon the party. They continued cautiously along the bank with swords and bows at the ready until they encountered a bloodied wounded fighter who had crawled out of the water while the plank that had obviously supported him lay on the treacherous muddy tidal flats beside him. .

He was so covered in mud that Drustina was hard put to determine whether he was friend or foe but when the exhausted warrior discerned Irish voices he feebly raised his arm in an obvious cry for help.

“Throw him a rope.” Drustina ordered. “I don’t want anybody getting stuck in that mud, it looks deep and sticky.”

A line was duly thrown and the man responded feebly with his good arm. The warriors gently tested his grip on the rope and he held on as they slowly hauled him across the slimy ooze. He cried out in pain as his body snagged a submerged stump but after some judicious manoeuvring they eventually brought him to the harder grassy bank. Drustina was already kneeling astride the rope as he fetched up between her thighs. The young girl was kneeling beside her ready to translate.

“Steady now comrade. How badly are you hurt?” Drustina asked in her best attempt at Hibernian Gaelic. It wasn’t very successful.

The injured man stared blankly so the young guide spoke in his native dialect.

“My arm is nerveless. I cannot move it. I am done for.” He groaned.

Drustina motioned to one of her companions to bring clean water and the wounded man’s arm was duly cleaned. Drustina examined it as the young guide gasped in disbelief. The lioness scolded her softly.

“Hist girl! Don’t alarm him further! He’s fearful enough as it is. Yes child, it is a large gash, but it should not have paralysed his arm. Wash his shoulder.”

The guide did as bid and Drustina finally recognised the underlying problem. The man’s shoulder was also dislocated and Drustina was pretty sure the displacement was pressing the nerves. She called some warriors forward.

“Hold his upper body still while I reset this joint.”

Several of the more experience warriors knew what was about to happen for they had seen bonesetters at work in battle conditions before. They quickly grabbed the poor man and Drustina started explaining to the man. However she did not wait to finish her explanation. As she felt the man relax while she started to explain, she suddenly yanked hard and unexpectedly on the man’s shoulder whilst jamming her heel into his arm pit. There was a dull ‘clack’ as the ball of the humorous relocated back into the scapula socket and the poor man let out a screaming curse of surprised agony.

“Aaaaarrgghh!! Dammit you bitch, my bloody arm!!”

Drustina just grinned and released her hold.

“Can you move your fingers?” She asked.

He lay groaning for several seconds before recovering his senses as he stared stupidly at her. He had not understood her question. The young girl repeated the question in Connacht Hibernian.

“The lioness asked if you can move your fingers!”

Through tears of pain he looked at his hand while cautiously attempting to bend the fingers. Through considerable pain he saw the digits close and he gasped with excitement.

“They moved!”

“Good!” Drustina replied. “Now perhaps you can tell of the battle.”

“When I was struck down we were holding our line but it’s a close run thing.”

“Where was the battle line when you were struck?”

“King Dal was holding the line just below the Cock Rock.”

Drustina glanced at the young guide who answered knowingly.

“That’s about two and a half miles below Limerick.”

“Right, we haven’t got much time, back to the trebuchet and we make all speed.”

They detailed two of the warriors to tend to the wounded man then they galloped inland to locate Udris and the trebuchet. They found them making slow progress because the men tired after working in the hot summer afternoon. Drustina explained the plan loudly so every junior leader could hear.

“The plan is to set this beastie up at the Cock Rock. For now, the plan still stands as the basis of our tactics. We’ve just learned that King Dal is fighting for survival somewhere around the Cock Rock. We are about one-and-a-half miles from our target so let’s make as much speed as we can.”

It was gratifying for Drustina to see Dorvan’s men set to with renewed vigour and she smiled knowingly to herself. Dorvan had been ahead with Udris but he sensed the mood ripple down the ranks. As he turned back, he watched with no small surprise and his jaw sagged imperceptibly though Drustina noticed. Her smile widened enough to tell Dorvan that she had noticed his incredulity.

“What?” He demanded.

“You’re wondering what suddenly motivated them.” Drustina replied.

Dorvan frowned uncomprehendingly then replied.

“Well, yes ... I suppose I am. What did you say to them?”

“Nothing much.”

“Oh come on! Look at them, they’re almost bouncing.”

Drustina grinned.

“I gave them certainty. They’ve got information, location, destination, direction and determination. All you’ve got to do now is take control.”

Dorvan smirked.

“Have you ever tried to stop a charge of riders once they’re in their pomp?”

“Well I’ll grant you it’s difficult. Just make sure you’re in front and visible.”

“And vulnerable.” Dorvan finished.

“It goes with the job your highness. You want the privileges, you have to earn them.”

“Yes, I’ve noticed. It’s said you have more wounds than a whole stable of gladiators.”

Drustina fell silent. It was difficult not to sound as though she was showing off. She had long since passed the stage of displaying her scars. The only person who got to see them was the man who could match her scars at least for number, namely Carl her erstwhile companion. The only scars regularly on display were the scars on her arms and her burned ear. Even her burnt neck and back were covered by her hair.

In answer to Dorvan’s remark she simply shrugged and mounted her horse.

“Come on, we might as well add our efforts to towing that bloody trebuchet. The sooner we meet up with these damned Vikings, the sooner we can help your father.”

The pair met up with Udris who pointed where the most effort was needed and within an hour the trebuchet was approaching a small hill where the clamour and crash of war revealed the battle on the river. Drustina and Udris scouted out a suitable site just behind the crest of the hill and therefore invisible to the raiders. While they did this, the two hundred or so riders scoured the fields nearby for suitable rocks. The young guide had told Drustina that the fields near the rocky outcrops on the banks of the great river were covered in assorted rocks and it was too dangerous for Carl and Udris to try and approach the cock rock with the Vikings so close.

By the time the riders were returning with suitable stones, the late afternoon sun was gradually turning into the long summer twilight. Then the first volley of rocks went flying from the trebuchet’s sling.

The Viking ships were trying to use their weight to smash a breach in Dal’s defensive line so their ships were very tightly packed; so much so that it was impossible for the trebuchet to miss the target. Drustina watched with immense satisfaction as they launched several volleys of large stones before the Vikings realised they were being fired on from some unknown location After a dozen further volleys the effect on the Viking ship-wall was becoming obvious. Their fighting impact had become sorely diminished as Vikings were forced to try and repair the holes in their long ships’ planking. It was becoming obvious that the Viking attack was beginning to fail. She discussed the situation with Udris and Dorvan,

“Why won’t they disengage?” Dorvan wondered. “It’s obvious they are getting hammered.”

“I think they’re waiting for nightfall.” Udris replied. “In the darkness they can get away. Have you any other ideas as to destroying them Lioness?” Udris added.

Drustina shrugged before replying.

“I’m surprised they haven’t despatched a couple of ships to try and neutralise the trebuchet. You’d better keep two squadrons of horsemen hidden in the trees to ambush any Vikings intent upon destroying the trebuchet; otherwise we just keep pounding them with stones.

I see that Carl and Heliox are standing off. Very wise of them, and we didn’t need their stones. I didn’t realise the fields around here were so rocky.”

Having given simple instructions to continue the bombardment, Drustina decided to ride down channel and speak with Carl. Dorvan accompanied her and they signalled from the shore with a fire arrow. It was getting dark before they finally met Carl. He and Heliox rowed ashore to discuss the next phase.

“The Viking fleet is a shadow of its former self and it won’t be going to Limerick. You might as well get rid of all your stones, we don’t need them. Take plenty of fire arrows and just harry them as they try to escape. Make sure you’ve got good local pilots to sail the river during the dark.”

Carl grinned philosophically.

“After all that effort gathering stones now we have to dump them and go back to the tried and tested fire arrows. Have you found the other two Mermaids?” Carl asked.

“Yes Dorvan spotted them when he was reconnoitring further east upriver. His father King Dal had them patrolling behind his battle line to attack any longships that broke through.”

“And did any?” Carl asked.

“I didn’t see any but Dal’s ships have suffered a lot of damage. I don’t think he’ll be in any fit state to pursue the bastards back out to sea. He’ll just be glad to get back to Limerick and lick his wounds.”

“How many Viking ships are fit to sail away?”

“Not many. If they do retreat, their ships will be packed with survivors; overloaded even. Look I’ve got to get back and see how King Dal is faring. I also want to get back aboard my beloved Mermaid.”

“What; you want to fight?”

“Not if I can help it. We’ve done fairly well so far. A dozen Viking long-ships accounted for before the bastards even got up the river. Of the dozen or so that got this far I’m thinking there are two sunk and four that are too damaged to put back to sea after the battle at the Cock Rock. I’m guessing you can expect between six and eight ships trying to make a run for it and some of those will be damaged.

Take care and use your speed and manoeuvrability to avoid getting caught, they’ll not be in any mood to take prisoners; they will be so crowded they’ll likely not have room.”

Carl grinned at Drustina’s concern and kissed her before returning to the two mermaids. Drustina remounted her horse and grinned sheepishly at Dorvan.

“He’s my husband for Noden’s sake. I’ve a right to be worried about him.”

By the time they returned to the Cock Rock it was dark and Udris had given up with the trebuchet. The troops were preparing it for towing and the young guide was carefully checking the route along the foreshore. As they stood discussing the day’s events, the lookouts spotted a small craft approaching from the river.

They peered wonderingly through the deepening gloom until Dorvan recognised the visitor.

“It’s my Dad. That must mean the Vikings have given up and left.”

With that the visitor hailed the shore.

“Ahoy there! Trebuchet team, is that the Lioness?”

Dorvan called back.

“Yes father, land by the torches. The river is calmer there.”

The little boat altered course and soon King Dal O’Dalgliesh of Connacht was singing Drustina’s praises.

“Thank God you made it with that cruel engine. Where is it?”

“On its way to Limerick Majesty. If you follow the trail along the foreshore you will happen upon it for it moves slowly.”

“Not to pound my city gates I hope.” The king grinned as the fear and tension of the day’s battle started to flow from his body.

“There’s been enough pounding for one day. So would I be right in thinking your ships are returning to Limerick.”

“They certainly are Lioness, it would be futile to try and pursue the barbarians in the dark.”

“So what of my two Mermaid ships?”

“They also are going to Limerick.”

“Good, I’ll catch them there.”

So saying, she mounted her horse and turned to Dorvan as they set off to join the trebuchet.

“Well I’m for a bath and a warm soft bed in the city. Tommorrow I seek my Saxon.”

“Will you not be joining us in the festivities?” Dorvan wondered.

At that, King Dal rejoined them after having been found a horse and deciding to ride to his city instead of rejoining his wounded fleet. He turned as Dristina replied to Dorvan before acknowledging his arrival.

“No your highness. Some simple food, a glass or two of wine and then bed! I take it my apartment in your palace is still available your Majesty?”

“If I had a bed of gold it would be yours Lioness. Defeating the Norsemen has given my people hope.”
Drustina chuckled.

“I think I prefer duck down your majesty. It's a little softer.“

The laughter spread through the ranks as King Dal turned to his son and Drustina stopped to discuss something a messenger had brought about the location of Carl. She did not hear King Dal talking earnestly to his son.

“That’s a remarkable woman my son. She’d make you a fine wife and give me fine grandshildren!”

Dorvan wagged his head resignedly.

“She’s married dad. Besides she’s something of an enigma.”

“Oh. How so?”

“She has men’s parts as well as women’s. I could not countenance her as a wife, the male parts would bother me; I cannot help it, but they would. I do not understand how the Saxon tolerates it but he does. I suppose it is because they have fought together so often then suffered and endured so much hardship together. I do know that they truly love one another.

However as to Drustina; as a friend and companion in arms, then truly father, she is without peers.”

King Dal fell silent. Such was the attractiveness and beauty of the woman who was now riding ahead of them that Dal had forgotten about the rumours. He turned questioningly to his son.

“So it’s true then, she is some sort of abomination!”

“No father! She is NOT an abomination; she is a saint who saved your and my kingdom, not to mention our people!”

“But if she is deformed down there...?”

“Then she is as God made her and God does not make mistakes.”

“Have you seen her secrets?”

“It so happens I have; as have most of her companions and crew, especially those who have sailed with her since their early days. Believe me father, she has both parts and I have seen them. She has to piss and shit when out campaigning in the field so she cannot hide it. No sorcerer could have cursed her or blessed her with them, she was born with them and they are therefore god-given. You and I know God does not make mistakes.”

“So why would God send such a one amongst us?” Dal asked his son.

Dorvan became impatient with his father’s seemingly obsessive curiosity.

“I’ve no idea Dad! Let’s just count her as one of God’s blessings. Maybe she has been sent to try our patience or make us tolerant. All I can say is that she is very wise and very clever! Perhaps being both a mother and a father to her children is what makes her wise and keeps her clever! She would understand things from both sides, wouldn’t she?
Now let’s just return home and be thankful for this victory. I for one am starving.”

Dorvan’s father nodded slowly. His son was proving to be a pleasant surprise insofar as he was growing tolerant and considerate. Having concluded that the boy seemed to have learned some important lessons whilst serving alongside the Lioness, Dal was able to relax and consider the forthcoming pleasures of their success against the Norsemen.

“Aye, there’ll be feasting and celebrating tonight and no mistake! I can’t understand why the Lioness is reluctant to join us.”

Dorvan snapped angrily.

“Bloody hell Dad! She’s a warrior, a woman, a wife and a mother and she’s tired. Her husband and battle-mate is still out there either trying to avoid the escaping Vikings or even possibly fighting them. If my partner was out there fighting, I’d not be inclined to celebrate either!!”

Dal sighed with disappointment.

“It’s such a pity, it is good to talk of each other’s feats and how we killed our enemies, sword fights and duels.”

Dorvan wagged his head.

“That’s just it father. We never actually got directly involved in hand to hand fighting except for a brief moment at Askea before the river was flooded. I never once saw the Lioness actually bare her sword though she does bear many scars from previous battles. I can only speak of her swordsmanship from the accounts of her companions but they all speak very highly of her. Anyway, I’ll ask her if she will honour us at the high table to share meat and bread before she retires for the night.”

So saying, Dorvan trotted ahead to speak with the Lioness who had been joined by her Dumnonii Lieutenant Udris. Dal watched them talking earnestly then his son returned.

“She will take a single glass of wine with us and break bread in formal celebration but she apologises for being so unsociable. She is worried for her Saxon and will be setting off down river at first light to search for him and the rest of her men.

~~oo000oo~~

up
109 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I like Dorvan

He's got a great attitude toward Drustina. Now lets see if he can avoid "getting religion" and losing tolerance and respect.

As the commander and strategist she should not have to raise her sword much. But knowing her abilities the warriors will follow her even without a demonstration.

Another great chapter, Bev

Never having been to that part of the world, I appreciate your charts and descriptions. It's also good to see that people can learn tolerance and acceptance. Thanks,

Much Love,

Valerie R