Julina of Blackstone - 016 - Preparations And A Stitch In Time

Printer-friendly version

Developments at home while Julina is out finding some more solutions to problems that crop up

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

016 - Preparations And A Stitch In Time


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
016 — Preparations And A Stitch In Time

I suppose it was somehow appropriate that there were four of us in the bathhouse at the start of my fourth day of 'freedom'. Haka was amazed and delighted at the intimacy of our close family, and evidently enjoyed being a part of it, albeit just for that one overnight. There was a strong hint that her own family life had been somehow stressful, but we none of us wanted to pry.

We women had a good chat about domestic issues mostly, and we all winced as Haka described the conditions in which the three of them lived. I was glad I had offered a refuge, even if it was just for one night.

We were also amazed at the small amount of foodstuffs that the three of them had to survive on. Their garden produce only went so far after all.

They had little coin or barter goods available for everyday requisites like washing soap and so on.

Kords went quiet as she realised just how easy her own life was in comparison, and I was certainly quite humbled myself. Swayga looked thoughtful.

We changed the subject to other topics where unfortunate comparisons could be avoided. It was thus that we managed to avoid great awkwardnesses and comparisons between ways of life.

At one point, I felt I had to half apologise to Haka for only being able to offer her a choice of two dresses the night before and I hoped that she hadn't been too uncomfortable in the one she selected. I felt that by bringing this up, she could also realise that we didn't live a life of luxury, and I think it worked to a certain extent.

Her dress had dried overnight in the comparative warmth of the kitchen since the large metal range in there retained its heat for many bells. She would be able to wear her own today, after one of us had pressed it. She was a little embarrassed that it was now a lighter tone in colour, but we all understood her difficulties, and why their family's clothes weren't the cleanest we had ever seen.

I explained that I still hadn't found the time to fix the button problem on my only other dress, and I had only four in total, until I was given the one I wore to dinner in the Bell the other night. I had to wear one myself, of course, which left only two to offer her. My dresses were a little tight for her across her chest, but this tightness across the chest of course enabled me to get talking about bras, and measuring her … four to go!

This measuring led us onto a silly game of comparisons; breast, height, waist, neck, arm and leg lengths and shoulder widths. We even giggled over ankle and knee sizes, but that was awkward as Haka had a crooked, scarred and misshapen lower calf, shin and ankle. Again none of us would ask her for an explanation until such time as she herself broached the subject.

We had to cut the silliness short, as we knew that the others would want the facilities for themselves, and little Haris would probably be missing Haka already, even though he was used to being with Suril sometimes.

Breakfast was followed by the lettering lesson, which Suril and his wife were amazed at. I think it enthused them even more, if that were possible. They were both determined to take the offered opportunity to learn.

He accompanied me on my now-daily trip down to the animals and here was again something which he was amazed at; the different attitude the beasts now showed was plain to see for anyone with eyes. After the nibble feeding, I mentioned that I had a few doors to go and call upon and perhaps he might not want to wait around for me, but he said he would escort me for a little while.

I decided to pop first into Mistress Hasinet's to tell her of my relative success, and had to laugh when she told me she had thought more about my suggestion the day before, and she had actually arranged for a large bunch of women to arrive on the morrow, at this time. She told me that she would make me a full set of seven bras, plus two for the Call days if I would measure them all for her, and write down their sizes, associated with their names of course. After agreeing the deal, I went back outside and found Suril talking to two men, neither of whom I recognised; he briefly interrupted his discussions to come and thank me formally, before we finally parted for our own various self-appointed tasks.

I had a little while before my appointment with Mistress Pomma and Sookie, for a further demonstration of frayen-keeping, so I went to the building plot just to observe. Whilst there, I saw again the strange stone thingie behind the south wall, near the storage rooms area. I went to ask some of the men there about it, but they couldn't help me, referring me to Master Bezan. Apparently it had been Master B who had specified it. The work was continuing as quickly as before, and the east end was already covered with a roof, which the men were pleased with, as it apparently added to the stability of the entire thing. They told me that the full team of housebuilders had finally arrived yesterday, some even on the shuttle, with more pre-built sections filling up their allocation of wagons. The workers on the first day had actually already been here in town, scouting out future work areas that were already allocated by the Assembly.

The man in charge pointed out some important things on the slope above, albeit using a stark dialect. I could see, with his help, where the water channel was going to be — some of the route was already being dug out, leaving an ugly scar on the landscape. I hadn't been at home much in the past few days, during the daylight hours that is, so I hadn't really seen the works that were in fact quite close to it. The water route looked very strange to me, going not directly to where I would have thought it should.

This was a little clarified by his next remark: “So Mistress, you sees route of water from existing channel atop slope. 'Twill sweep down to new cistern up there, where all markers be in big clump. From there, two channels'll descend, one for fresh, one for waste. These channels'll be split as required for all houses on t' slope. It seems that yours is last on downslope, so your two'll join after passing you and then join t' waste run under Main Street.”

I think I understood all he said, but confess that I was floundering in the details; I would have to try to remember all that when Master B came to dinner next. But it was time for me to go to the courtyard where I once again met Sookie and Mistress Pomma, and we had another fascinating three quarters of a bell.

When I emerged once more, I decided to head over to Epp's for a chat to tie down various details of things we had in store for us. I looked around as I left the stable block, and spotted Suril climbing the slope towards my home, carrying awkwardly a strangely shaped and bulky parcel. I briefly wondered how he was going to manage it, and help his wife and child back to their dwelling, but other thoughts intruded and drove that one away from my brain.

I was welcomed warmly by the three ladies there — Epp, Gramobona and Grizanthet — who kindly invited me to share an early snack lunch with them, which was gratefully received — also the facilities had by then become necessary. I had two more ladies to measure when the topic came up, and paled when I heard that they were pleased now since they didn't have to attend the big session on the morrow — they estimated some thirty or so women were going to turn up. It seemed I was going to be earning my rewards.

Gramma Bone told us that she was now getting too old to operate the loom as well as she had used to, her fingers were giving her trouble as were her knees which were protesting at last after moving her huge bulk around for so long. Her place was going to be assigned to the new glassmaker with the strange name as it was downslope from the smithy, but was quite near the water and also supplies could be easily transported there — particularly once the new road was open and the Miners' Village finished. GB's place would need a little expansion, but was otherwise very close to Master Pocular's specifications that he had sent in advance.

“But what of yourself, Mistress Gramobona? What will you do?”

“I shall have an outhouse here and share the kitchen with Mistress Epp. My loom will come with me so I can continue some of that work — but I am now well-trained as an Eppriman and will relieve dear Epp of some of that responsibility. Mistress Epp explains that she shall be a lot busier in the new year with teaching the students to number and letter. She will also probably have to reduce her trips to Tranidor for a year or so because of that task.”

“Talking of which, Julina, when would be best for our trip to Tranidor? Your father wanted it completed before your birthday if that's possible, but failing that, shortly after it. You should consider that we will be away for just under two weeks in all.”

“I think that it would be best just after it, actually, Epp. I have so much to do suddenly, and I wouldn't want to rush things right now. We need to decide on the standards to be achieved by my beginners before they are let onto you — and I will need some advanced training too. I am aware that some of my spelling needs improvement — or, to put it another way, I need to become more confident. I should also say that there are several adults who want to attend as well as a good few youngsters. We maybe need to have separate lessons. What think you? And then, as soon as this Call is over, I shall be learning to ride a frayen! My saddle is already delivered, and the riding attire is on order. Some preparation has been made in gaining an understanding with the animals …”

“Animals! Maker! Are you so rich then that you have more than one?”

“Ah! Well it happened this way …”

… … …

I left Epp's house just before the noon bell, and went up towards the campingplace with, for what seemed the first time in ages, no fixed plan and no fixed appointments.

I decided for some random reason to go up near the smithy. As I passed it, between there and the Musical Instrument maker's, I could see that there were a hand or more of newly erected sheds dotted around the smithy and several new faces scurrying about. I recognised one in particular, the man Sethan who had been duped by Trogan and had received a lesser punishment in Mylady's court. Master Brydas and he were standing over the steam engine thingy that I had heard described, and it seemed to me that it was Sethan teaching Master Brydas something!

They laughed together, and Master Brydas clapped him on the shoulder as he turned away and went to supervise a face I didn't recognise who was operating a strange machine. The man pulled down on a long lever, and a funny plate with tooth-like things sticking out the bottom descended towards a shiny strip of metal, upon which it seemed to settle for a heartbeat. The man lent his weight to the downward pressure and there was a sudden drop of maybe an eighth of a thumb — almost undetectable to the eye — and then the man raised the lever again. The metal strip was now attached to the plate that had descended.

The man took a small pan and a brush and swept hundreds of shiny little things into the pan, brushing carefully over the exposed surface where the shiny sheet had been. When satisfied that the surface was clean, he lowered the upper plate once more to just above the lower plate, then took a hammer and smashed the shiny strip off its perch. He lifted the strip up and I could see a myriad of tiny holes had been punched into it. He just tossed this holed piece of metal into a bin to one side and then took the pan with the punchings over to a tall container, into which he carefully poured them. This container was a strange shade of green with several dents and scratches on the sides.

The noon bell sounded and shook me out of my confused thoughts, wondering what I had just observed. I went across and spent maybe five moments talking with Sethan from which I gathered that he had become a coke and steel expert for Master Brydas, and what I had thought was the steam engine was in fact something called a 'coke oven'. His pride in his achievements showed in an altered bearing and a more determined face. Gone was the haunted loser's look of before. I realised that suddenly he had found a purpose in life. It was a heartening moment to me, to see a human almost come alive in front of our eyes.

My brain was mulling this over as I took my leave of him. I gained the Main Street and headed upslope to see what Kelly might be doing, and if she could 'come out to play'. I could see a small gathering in the middle of the roadway up where the Saddler's was on one side and the Shoemaker's on the other. There were four people involved, two men and two women. Masters Wainer and Waldan and Mistresses Pomma and Sandara. As I neared, I could hear them as well. The discussions were, shall we say, quite shrill, particularly from Mistress Sandara, who was seemingly being beset by the other three.

“Mistress Sandara! You have no need to repeat yourself. Yes, we are aware that you have purchased your passage on the shuttle. Yes, we are aware you sold your two frayen to Master Wainer, here. Yes, we are aware that you expected to leave on today's shuttle. Yes, we are aware that all your bags and boxes are ready for transportation. But you must accept that the shuttle leaves everyday at precisely noon. It was your responsibility to be there on time. Just because you have a warrant does NOT mean that the transport will wait for you. The warrant is good for ANY trip.”

“Not only did it not wait for me, but tomorrow is the rest day. I shall have to stay in this wretched town for another two days. I shall miss my connections downvalley. Relatives are expecting me in Tranidor for onward travel. And I have handed over the house now to Wainer here.”

I could see Master Wainer getting annoyed at the lack of his title and he responded sharply: “All the more reason that you should have made an extra effort to be punctual, Mistress.”

“I'll have to move back into my house and unpack my boxes. Then repack them in two mornings time.”

“That you will NOT be doing, Mistress. It has been officially handed over to myself, which transaction has been duly noted in person in front of the two of us by both the Steward and the Scribe. The documents have been signed. So let's be absolutely clear - it now MY house, not yours.

“I have assisted you this morning purely as a neighbourly act but your attitude is anything but friendly or grateful. You will recall that I gave you reminders at every bell this morning and STILL you failed to turn up on time. Mistress Sandara, you have two choices … hire a private wagoneer and leave as you can, or pay for a room somewhere else for two nights.”

“Well I never! What an ingrate. When my husband was a respected member of this community, such a thing …”

“Was that before or after he committed treason?” continued an exasperated Master Wainer.

“How dare you? It wasn't treason! He was killed by a ptuvil as he tried to defend our Baroness …”

“Enough, you stupid woman!” interjected Mistress Pomma, before continuing with an extremely irritated tone of voice. “Mistress, you KNOW that to be untrue. What you say downvalley is of little concern to us here in Blackstone. But we up here in OUR town, we all know the facts. You have been unpleasant in the extreme ever since you realised that your influence had withered. My husband and Master Wainer here have often discussed your obstructiveness to the take-over. So let's have no more airs and graces, Sandara,” she hissed the name with obvious distaste. “You were barely tolerated all these years and when you beat your own daughter just to try to gain influence with those in charge, then your reputation was finally come to an end. I doubt you'll find anyone prepared to put you up, particularly when I make sure that everyone knows of your arrogance this morning in expecting the timetable to be adjusted to YOUR private needs. You had a chance to leave with dignity, but you even got that wrong.”

“I'll have you know that the Steward is a close personal friend. I shall make sure that you regret this, all of you! Hah, I would gladly pay the rest of the pitifully small fortune that I have been left with just to get out of this town as soon as I possibly could. All of you can't see further than your noses, this place and all its inhabitants will never amount to anything. And that stupid child who thinks she is in charge here. What a dreamer! And to think of all my family did for this village — for that is all it is, not worthy of the name town. Why, I can remem …”

“I think the awful events of losing your family have turned your mind. I can find no other sensible conclusion. You are lying to yourself as much as you are lying to us. Why do you continue to deny the truth?”

I didn't hear any more of this conversation as I had had an idea and I turned and walked as swiftly as I could down to the Claw.

I was lucky when I got there. I knew that I needed to act fast and would need Sookie's help — I just hoped that I could find her promptly. As it happened, I found Sookie very easily, by literally bumping into her as I rushed round the corner into the yard. We greeted each other fondly.

“Sookie — we have a situation that needs a rapid solution. And you told Mistress Pomma and I earlier of two wagons and wagoneers having to hang around for two days with nothing to do. Well, I have a job for one of them, just to run down to the Forest Roadhouse for tonight. That's all they have to do, with Mistress Sandara and her belongings …”

I explained the problem at the top end of the street and the conversation I had overheard.

“But why just to the Roadhouse? And why must it be now?”

“Mistress Sandara has already paid for her trip on the shuttle down to Tranidor, so that means she has in effect a paid for a room in the roadhouse. The shuttle won't leave the roadhouse until noon tomorrow, so if someone takes her down NOW, then she has accommodation for the night AND she will catch up with her originally planned shuttle so her relatives won't be kept waiting. It is her cheaper option, rather than have to pay for two more nights here. So the wagoneer gains a small commission, and could perhaps even find another for an early departure from the roadhouse to come back up here, and Mistress Sandara has her cheaper option and catches up with where she should be. Plus the benefits for others here in the town, as I'm sure many would be pleased to see the back of her!”

“Oh I for one shall be glad to see the back of that snooty woman! She has made a lot of people miserable, myself included — all founded on a false sense of superiority. This is a good plan, 'Lina. Well thought. Mind you, I shall make sure to tell the wagoneer to get his coin from her before loading her up.” She turned round and yelled across the courtyard. “Looz — get your wagon ready as soon as you can. I have a commission for you.”

I saw a man jerk up from a snoozing position and wave to her before heading towards a wagon shape under a cover in the corner by the bathhouse.

“Now you go back up the slope, 'Lina and get Mistress Sandara readied.”

… … …

“... so Mistress Sandara, as a favour to you with thanks for every one of the pairs of shoes I have ever had in my life, I have asked a special favour from a friend of mine with the wagoneers. There is one who has to wait at least another day for his load to be ready. He is prepared to run you down to the Forest Roadhouse as long as you leave as soon as possible. If it is left much longer, then you may not get to the Roadhouse until after dusk, maybe even in the dark. I'm sure he won't charge you much, and it would be a lot less than two more days of overnighting and eating. The man has to be back here before noon tomorrow, so he HAS to leave right now.”

“Thank you child,” she said to me with that awful insincere smile that had always made me want to smack her. She turned to the others and continued, “you see there ARE some here who appreciate our efforts, unlike you three. Although I object to having to pay twice for this first leg of the journey, then I shall do so. Anything to be shot of this dismal hole.” She turned to Master Wainer. “You, come and pick up my belongings and stack them on the sidewalk there.”

“I shall do no such thing, not even to make sure that you go as soon as possible. I am NOT your servant, nor are the servants in the house any longer yours to command. Begone and learn some manners and humility.” So saying, Master Wainer turned on his heel and went up to his new home and workshop. It was obvious that the man was EXTREMELY angry, so the way he closed the door gently and quietly behind him was all the more telling. I made a mental note of that powerful effect.

Master Waldan and Mistress Pomma looked at me strangely, the latter with confusion, before returning across the road to their own place. I sighed. I knew I would have a few awkwardnesses with Mistress Pomma now, after seeming to be so friendly to Mistress Sandara, but it wasn't going to be of much importance if the woman was gone within the next half bell. It was just another little incident that I now had to explain and smooth over. Does it ever end?

Mistress Sandara tried to make me do some of her work for her, but I was able to truthfully claim that I had my Call and it would be better not to do so. She sniffed in some disdain but accepted that the driver should do it. Her pile of belongings was large enough for me to have already queried to myself just how many wagons might be needed, and I hoped that there would be place enough in the shuttle when it left the Roadhouse — but that wasn't going to be my problem. I did manage, by a mixture of coaxing and flattery, to get her to bring the lighter objects nearer the roadside. It was an awkward quarter of a bell as we waited for the wagon to arrive, but eventually it did, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that Sookie had been thinking and had sent up some extra men to help move and load the belongings. The wagon come abreast of us and the two extra men jumped off it while the wagon kept going.

“Where are you going? The baggage is all here.”

“Turn round, Mistress. Then we leave straight downhill. Easier uphill with a lighter wagon.”

“Well hurry up then, man.”

I wondered if the woman would EVER learn.

I stayed just long enough to make sure that the connection was made before telling the extra men that I had to leave, letting them know without saying so that I had the Call. They sort of cringed a little and waved me away. Sometimes, having a Call can be a blessing.

I went across to the Saddler's, not wanting to let the slight ill-feeling linger. I was lucky that they were both still in the house and the Master hadn't returned to his work. It didn't take me long to explain that my apparent praise of Mistress Sandara and my thanks at the end were not that important to me, and served enough to get her to go without much more fuss. After due reflection, they actually thanked me for saving an awkward situation. I was about to leave, when there was a knocking at the door, and Master Wainer was let in, carrying a smallish sack.

“Thank you, Mistress Julina. That was neatly done. I'm sure she would not have departed had you not managed to make her see sense with a little flattery. It was masterfully arranged. Or maybe I should say, mistressfully arranged. She is just this moment on her way and probably passing out of the town at this heartbeat. Now, at last, I feel I can start making my life here.”

His face got a little more serious as he took a breath. He turned to the other two.

“Master Waldan, Mistress Pomma. You have been very kind to me since I arrived just a few days ago. You have made my entry here considerably easier and I shall be forever grateful. As a token of my appreciation, I should like to present to you one of the pair of frayen I have purchased from the recently-departed Mistress Sandara. I have reason to believe ...” here his eyes twinkled heavily “ … that this may solve an odd problem that might be ready to rear its head. And, to further advance this possibility, I have here in this sack, a piece of leather cut to the dimension required by Mistress Pomma for her new-style saddle. There is a little more work required to complete it, so I hope, Master Waldan, that you will find it within you to complete your lady's saddle at a very early opportunity.”

I doubt that there had ever been a present in the history of all Anmar that has produced such delight on one person's face. I happened to look at Master Waldan and saw there a further lovely surprise. His eyes twinkled and there was a little grin on his face, but then he continued as the grumpy old man not wanting his wife to do things. I knew, from that one unguarded moment, that he was not so sour about the whole thing as he pretended to be. I lowered my eyes in case I gave the game away.

It was a moment of pure pleasure that I will remember long into my old age. So I found a quick excuse and slipped away, not wishing to intrude on such private moments.

I went up to Malet's, hoping to find Kelly and was pleasantly surprised to find Gyth there too. We settled down into a bell or so's gossip, chat and news exchanges. We all remarked upon the fact that this session was somehow more adult than any we had had before.

They were fascinated with my story about the Suril family and wondered how I could take such a risk. I reminded them that my original invitation had been for just a meal and a bath, the overnight stay had been purely accidental. We tossed the subject around between us and I think we were intrigued about that parcel I had seen Suril carrying so awkwardly. Difficult though it was, we all had to contain our impatience until the answer was revealed to us!

Kelly and I then took the opportunity to get Gyth to open up to us about her until-recently-hidden talents and also about her recent thoughtfulness. She was hesitant at first, and it took quite some coaxing from us, but then her defences crumbled and it all poured out like the river in the rains.

“I can't stay here in this town much longer. I don't want to leave you three friends but I know with an absolute certainty that I have to see more of our land. I have to see the Sirrel, I have to see Palarand City. I have to see other lands like Vardenale and Plif. All these names that I have heard from visitors. Moxgo. Joth. Brikant. All the rest. I want to see a felk. I want to see the King himself. And the Queen. Closer to here, I want to see the Stone Sea and the Vale. I have never even seen the roadhouse in the forest. I want to take the Chaarn road all the way to Chaarn, and the Tel Botro road all the way to Tel Botro. I haven't even seen Tranidor — yet! Then there's Haligo and Teldor and Dekarran.

“But I can't leave my mother all alone — as you know, there has been just the two of us for nearly a year now, after Father disappeared in the Trogan times. I shall stay, HAVE to stay, until Mama has her pyre. And it is all tearing me apart. This work at Master Michen's will provide me with some little coin that I can save, and I shall try to find another job for during the day, so that will help Mama, who only gets very little for helping out the tanner; just enough to keep us in food.”

Kelly and I were amazed at the depth of feelings that she had just displayed — dear, sweet, gentle, quiet Gythy. At last we understood some of her recent behaviour, but we were both aghast that there was nothing we could do right at the moment to ease her pain. A group hug and a few tears followed Gyth's impassioned outburst — and then I had an idea. I would need to talk to Epp first, before mentioning anything to either of them. Oh! Thinking it through showed me that there was a potentially large problem with my idea.

Right, then — Epp talk first, then a talk with both these girls. I will need their help with that problem I just saw.

I took my leave shortly afterwards and retraced my route back to Epp's, finding her both in and alone.

… … …

“So when we go down to Tranidor, how many can we take? I was thinking that maybe I could use the travelling time to do some lettering lessons, and you could also give me some advanced ones maybe, or some numbering lessons? But of course, you have to decide, I cannot assume any authority just because it's my birthday present.”

“Well theoretically we could take up to two hands in total, not including me, but that tends to get quite hectic, controlling everyone when we're down there. Mind you, with you along, then the controlling could be shared. With fewer little ones, then also less controlling.

“I'm glad we are talking about this now, I was going to ask you something before we went, but I can take this opportunity to do it. GB has been a great friend to me, and when she moves down to effectively share this rambling place, she will be a virtual partner in my business here, giving me far more freedom not only for the teaching, but also to pursue other developments. I would very much like to take her downvalley for the first time in her life, and doing that with you might be the best present to her, as she has never had any children and might be overwhelmed if all the others were so young. But I don't want to imply that you would have to be with her all the time or anything like that. A younger outlook might well be a tonic for her.”

“Oh that might be excellent! Someone else I have wanted to get to know for quite a while now.”

“So who might you consider taking?”

“Well, I think that my next sister, Kords, would LOVE to be invited to join me ...”

“What a generous thought! Some who go want a clean break from everything up here. I would insist, however, that you and she do NOT share a bedroom. You really must have SOME change!”

“And then I was thinking about the children who live up in the Vale. They want to learn some letters, but wouldn't be able to make it each day down to the schoolroom, so I thought that …”

“A very good idea, my dear — BUT I would advise against that.”

“Why is that?”

She sighed a bit before continuing: “All of you, every single one of you, are going to be shocked by the differences between Blackstone and Tranidor. It WILL happen. It always does. To expose those children to such a large town when they are not even really familiar with Blackstone will be just too great a difference. I fear it will be too much for them.”

“I shall have to bow to your greater knowledge, there. This was not a consideration that had occurred to me.”

“Do you have any others in mind?”

“Well, actually, I would like your advice. I have three very good friends, we are a sort of special group …”

“Kellonika, Molleena and Gythy.”

“Yes. But I have a problem with that. I definitely want to invite Gythy, as she is DESPERATE to see something more of our land. She is practically tearing her hair out at the repetitive life she leads, and every story she hears from others just makes it worse. I would like to invite Kelly too. But …”

“But you are worried about controlling Molleena if she accompanies us?”

“How did you …? Well, yes, exactly. But Mich … er … Master Michen is fairly sure that she has been hib-noticed, or whatever that word was I asked you about. Maybe if there was one of those travelling show thingies down there, we could get her cured ...”

Epp hissed in a sharp breath as she half-whispered: “Of course! Probably that Perril. And he didn't release her. Poor child. She must have help as soon as possible.”

I continued, relieved that someone else knew the problem and I hadn't divulged anything that would betray my oath to Molly: “But the danger of her going and getting into trouble would mean total and constant supervision, which would put constraints on other's activities. So I am torn. I feel I can't invite the other two without her, but I want them all there with me, to share the experience. I just don't know how to get round this problem.”

“Yes, I understand. I will need to think on this. Leave it with me. I will let you know sometime next week.”

“I had thought to include some other children to get some lessons in. But maybe this would be a good time to have a more mature group and teach some of the adults. Would you also think about that?”

“That is a very mature, and indeed sensible approach. I commend you. Let's discuss this further in four or five days. In the meantime, speak with Kellonika's and Gythy's mothers. If they don't give give their permissions, then there is a partial solution to your problem.”

“Thank you! I knew you would have a sensible approach. It quite relieves me. Now, I have some further news for you. Yesterday I met this family, smallholders from just upvalley from here, where the new Loop Road is going to be. Suril and Haka …”

… … …

By the time I left Epp's again, it was already after the sixth Bell, so I knew that Suril would be in with the Sheriff. I was wishing him luck in my head as I walked into the courtyard at the Claw, prior to slipping Dralla and Trumpa some nibbles.

But they weren't there.

I was confused and looked round for Parry or Sookie, but neither were visible. Eventually, a yardman told me they were in the paddock so I went out there to find them.

Sookie was riding Tixi round, and trailing Dralla on a rein. They were going much faster than a simple walk. In another corner, Parry was leading Trumpa around on a very long rein. Both the humans were making slight noises and saying gentle words as they persuaded the beasts to change directions or change speed of gait. They were obviously training the animals with kindness and affection, and the animals seemed to be enjoying it. Trumpa caught sight of me and tugged gently at Sookie. At first, Sookie was surprised but then she too saw me and they all came over to me by the fence. I had a nibble ready for Trumpa and held it for her to take from me by sticking her head through the bars of the fence. Tixi looked round at Sookie who laughed and said “Yes, little miss greedy.”

So I held out one cube for her too. She took it with less obvious caution than that which she had shown before. Of course Dralla had seen all this and wanted to come across. Parry made her wait for a bit, but then allowed her to do so.

We chatted for maybe a quarter of a bell until I indicated that I needed to get home to use the facilities. I thanked them both for working the animals, and they assured me it was not a chore. I know that Dralla and Trumpa whiffled a good-bye as I left, and I think that Tixi did too, but we three humans were talking our goodbyes at the same heartbeat.

I got back to the house in good time, having glanced at the building plot. I had felt something shift slightly 'down there' so I didn't stop — I just noticed that there were many more workers today than there had been before, and the roof was being finished on that east side of the courtyard. All the base was down, and I could see that the floor would be finished before the day was out. The entire wall at the south side of the courtyard — the north side of the passage joining the house to the kitchens and bathrooms — was missing and there seemed to be no urgency to fill that gap. Hmm, something else to try to reason out. I scurried on.

As I approached the house, I waved to Swayga and gestured that I would need the bath-house. She acknowledged me with a wave and went back inside, presumably to put some water on. As I entered the house, I nearly stopped in amazement but urgently needed to get to the bathroom. The dining table was strewn with fabric, needles, thread, slicers, shaped pieces of cloth, a jar of buttons and just about everything anyone could imagine would be connected to sewing. Kords, Julu and Kissa were gathered attentively round Haka who was patiently showing them something or other. Their faces were rapt and they all were clearly enjoying themselves. The baby was in a makeshift crib and was sleeping soundly.

I wondered about this all as I went into the bathroom and saw a half-filled bath with warm water in it. Oh my. Swayga was wonderful. I eased into the water and cleaned up the initial mess. I had just drained the dirtied water when Swayga, Haka and Kords all came in, each carrying a large pot of boiling water. I replaced the bung in the tub, and fetched a bucket of cold water from the water tank in the corner. All four buckets barely covered the floor of the bath, it seemed, so I fetched two more buckets of cold, and the others all did as well. Then Swayga and Haka left with two pots of water to be heated and returned with two more pots of boiling water. Meanwhile Kords had filled another pot and taken that out to put on the range. Fourteen pots of water had made the bath level high enough for washing, so I thanked them all as they left carrying more buckets to be heated up. I slid once more under the water, which was barely warm but much better than cold!

Kords came back and washed my back for me. I felt so much better.

“Now, what on Anmar is going on on the dining table?”

“Ah! You came back earlier than we expected, 'Lina. We had hoped to have it all finished before you returned.” She paused long enough for me to half-irritatedly demand more information.

“Well, it seems that Haka's Mama was a noted seamstress and that she taught Haka well. Now Haka married for love and devoted herself to her man's work. She did not part from her mother on the best of terms. They could not afford to buy all the equipment for her to sew professionally, so she hasn't done anything other than home-made stuff for ages. When her mother went to her pyre, there was no equipment left, the mother having sold it to purchase food and so on.

“Haka decided that she wanted to thank you particularly, but all of us for being so kind last night. She has mended all the stuff that needed mending, and has fixed the button on that dress of yours. She took the dress she borrowed yesterday and took it apart. From those bits, and the measurements she took in the bathroom this morning, she cut out the required pieces from a bundle of cloth that Suril carried in from somewhere.

“ 'Lina, she sewed your dress back together again and has made you two more what she called work dresses AND a dress for best, you lucky thing! She has taught all of us how to measure and cut out cloth, and Kissa has proved to be very talented at all this. Haka has promised to teach her to be good at it. Then Kissa can teach us.

“She is also going to make Swayga a dress for best, but explained that the rest of us are still growing so it wouldn't be quite right to do any for us at the moment. She has promised to do that for us when we grow.

“It is quite amazing what she has done. Now I have to go back and sew up the skirts of your new work dresses. Your best dress needs her skills for really neat sewing. She explained that the work dresses could be quite rough and ready really, which is how she described MY sewing. I seem to be all thumbs I confess, but at least I can do a straight seam now, and tack up hems for her to finish. Kissa is MUCH better than me.”

“Better than I,” I automatically corrected.

“Better than I,” sighed Kords. “And then I need to get the food ready.” She left me alone.

I was astounded — here we were barely at the seventh bell and this woman had managed all that — in one day, while looking after her child and teaching my sisters. I was also amused that I had been caught out by the very trick that I had played to get Michet's measurements. I was anxious to go and see my 'dress for best' as Kords had described it.

Before I could dress myself though, there was a commotion from outside, which at first disturbed me, but then I detected Suril's voice and knew he had returned. From the cheers and laughter, I knew what his news was and I couldn't help but grin. I pulled on my dress, then rushed out and was grabbed into the huge mass of bodies all hugging one another while clapping Suril on the back. The baby woke up and insisted on joining in, or so it seemed. Haka had tears of joy and we learnt that Suril would be paid more in one month than they had earned in all of the last year.

And that was before Trogan robbed them.

The madness calmed down after a little while, and I sent Kords back to the sewing lessons while I happily got started on the meal. Swayga came across to me and asked if I was happy to be doing that, as Haka had shown her some stuff and she wanted to practice it, and get some help. I grinned and said to her to go and learn, I was quite happy — and I assumed that Suril and Haka were to eat too?

So it was that last night repeated itself, with the exception of visits from Master Bezan and Fedren. The family stayed another night again after we had admired the new dresses she had made me, and she continued her lessons after dinner was cleared away. Julu was sent to bed of course but we let Kissa stay up for once. I decided that learning fancy sewing skills was not something I wanted to add to my abilities just at the moment. I could sew reasonably — enough for running repairs to things round the house, and I could make a rough housedress if I was pushed.

As a result of this, Suril and I sat and chatted, starting with more details about the new house design. Apparently, Master Fedren had got permission for a new house to be built for them on the land behind the Watchhouse, and he wanted to talk to me about the details. It would be bigger than anything they had previously had, where all three of them were living in just the one room, and would have a separate kitchen and an outdoor privy. I made some suggestions that he should think about and for which he was very grateful.

And then it was time to retire. With all of us doing something to get the chores done, it took no time at all.

I found it vaguely amusing that I had done less today than I had yesterday, and yet felt tireder.

Very soon, we were all 'connected to the moon', a family expression that Suril and Haka enjoyed, finding it somehow better than just saying 'asleep'.

Quite which moon was involved has always been a mystery to me. I can't believe that it would be Kallikan — which woman would want to have THAT connection as she slept. I have long harboured a suspicion that Tiede is probably the best candidate as it goes round the 'wrong' way and is very fast, which can be likened to the way dreams come and go.

No further thoughts were possible as I slipped into my dreams.


up
180 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I still find

These glimpses into personal life and activities interesting and enjoyable. Julina is a very intelligent young woman who is finally able to use that intelligence to help with things other than her household. Nice counterpoint to SEE.

Maggie

JoB

The town of Blackstone continues to fill in nicely and that's a breath of fresh air compared to some tales.

DJ

Catalyst

Catalytic people are the hub and the glue that holds community's together. Julina is using to great skill her sense of people to come up with solutions people in the thick of things do not see, or think of.

I have a feeling that Julina could become a community leader or officer of the Baroness of Blackstone. She does this so naturally
speaking highly of how intelligent she is.

Huggles
Misha

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Thoughtfulness has its own rewards

Suril and Haka will make a very handsome living given that when the town expands, Haka will be able to work as a seamstress and Suril may become an officer in the constabulary. I can't see Fedren as being able to be manage the size of the force that will be needed when Blackstone quadruples in population or more. I can see Suril becoming like his second in command and that will mean he will get better pay.

As for Julina, it just proves that kindness can have unexpected rewards.

So one thing I do not quite understand: where is the town getting the money for all this house building? Coal? Garia?

Julina's experience during Trogan period

So how did Kordulen manage to protect his family during Trogan's reign of terror?

The family seemed to have gotten through it unscathed.