Dancing Queen: 16

Printer-friendly version
I’m required to model some of Mum’s costumes

Ballroom dancing has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, but I didn’t realise just how important it would become in shaping my future until I had to take the place of one of my bosses following an accident.


Dancing Queen


A novel


by Louise Anne Smithson

Copyright © 2013 Louise Anne Smithson
All Rights Reserved.

Image Credit: Picture from Wikimedia Commons. Free for commercial and personal use with restriction under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence.


 

Chapter 16 Mum’s costumes

Going out with Mum on Saturday morning to buy myself some underwear proved to be a novel and enjoyable experience for us both. Whereas I’d hung back and let Sarah decide for me when we went shopping the previous week, on this occasion I took a full part in the proceedings, discussing colours, fabrics and styles and not being afraid to give my own opinions. I’d assumed that Mum would want us to go to one of the larger and more impersonal department stores in town, but she suggested that we went to a specialist shop called Lingerie 2 Go in the appropriately named Stockingstone Road. The assistant there offered to give me a proper bra fitting, which gave rise to some anxiety on my part but Mum came to my rescue saying that I’d only recently been measured and that we knew what we were looking for.

We soon agreed on a light blue lacy bra and pants set for everyday wear, but then Mum pointed to a pale pink lingerie set in my size. It consisted of bra, pants, suspender and camisole.

‘What do you think of these?’ asked Mum.

‘They are very nice, but quite pricey.’

‘As this is the first occasion we've been out together as mother and daughter I think I can afford to treat you.’

‘But when would I get to wear them? I certainly couldn’t dance in them.’

‘No, they wouldn’t be suitable for dancing, but every girl ought to have at least one nice set of lingerie for special occasions,’

I couldn’t envisage any special occasions other than the dance demonstrations, but before I could say so, Mum added:

‘In fact you could wear them this afternoon when your boss comes as you’ll want to be wearing something nice when you model the various dresses for us.’

‘I’ll leave it up to you to decide, Mum, but they are very pretty,’ I replied.

Mum went ahead and purchased both sets of underwear and also a pair of stockings for me to wear with the suspenders.

~o~O~o~

After collecting Sarah and driving her to our home, the remainder of my afternoon was spent trying on Mum’s different dance costumes and then modelling them in front of the two of them. Virtually everything fitted me, and most of them I liked, although one or two were a little skimpy and provocative for someone in my particular situation. On one occasion Sarah pointed out that my stocking tops were visible through the slit up the side of a skirt, and I had to reassure her that another time, I would have no intention of wearing both items together.

‘You don’t need to worry about underwear for Michelle to wear when she’s dancing, I've several skin coloured body stockings and leotards that she can use so there'll be no danger of treating the audience to unforeseen displays The main thing is what you think of the dresses?’ asked Mum.

‘That ankle length cream gown with the embroidered bodice should be ideal for the Viennese Waltz on Saturday. It has short-sleeves but includes two pairs of matching armbands for the floats,’ said Sarah addressing Mum.

Mum nodded in agreement. I didn’t comment but had to agree with her assessment. The dress looked and felt really lovely to wear as I executed a turn in front of them. The bodice and waist seemed to fit me and the full skirt disguised my lack of more pronounced hips.

‘What do you think Michelle?’ Sarah asked.

‘I like it and it feels good to dance in, but don’t you think that it has rather a low neckline?’

‘Yes but that's no longer such a problem now that you have been fitted with those new breast forms,’ commented Sarah.

‘Good! So we’re agreed on the cream dress for the first dance, then perhaps Michelle could execute a quick change into the dark blue outfit, for the Quickstep, as both the dress and shoes are better suited to the dance?’ continued Mum.

‘Yes, I agree. That dress is both practical and also looks very smart. So that seems to be the next demonstration sorted.’

Mum seemed to be pleased that I was going to be wearing her costumes the following week.

‘By the looks of things we have everything here that Michelle is likely to need over the next few weeks,’ she replied.

‘Are you quite happy with the choice, Michelle?’ asked Sarah.

‘I’m in your hands for the next few weeks and will be happy to take any advice from you both,’ I said smiling.

Turning to Mum, Sarah said: ‘I’d really no idea that you had been so much involved in ballroom dancing at the end of the last century.’

‘Yes it has been a waste to have all these lovely clothes stored away in the attic for so long, but I’ve never been able to face the task of looking through them until now.’

‘I’m glad that you now feel able to do so,’ said Sarah.

Mum smiled and looked at me.

‘It is nice to have someone who will be able to use them at last,’ she said.

~o~O~o~

As I drove Sarah home later that evening we continued to discuss the arrangements for my forthcoming dances.

‘It now looks as if you are going to have more dance costumes than I do,’ she said, smiling.

‘So it would seem.’

‘And your mother seems to be really enthusiastic about the idea of your dancing.’

‘Yes, as soon as she knew she started to want to help me organise my wardrobe. I don’t remember when she has seemed so positive about the future.’

We arrived at their house and I began to help her to get out of the car.

‘Thanks, Michelle, it has been an enjoyable afternoon and evening and you made an excellent model. In fact I think you make a lovely young woman.’

I blushed and looked away, not sure how to respond to her. She noticed my blushes.

‘Are you still alright with all this?’ she asked, seriously.

‘It would be a bit late for me to be having second thoughts,’ I said, smiling; ‘especially after all the trouble that everyone has taken.’

‘It is just that when I suggested the idea to you two weeks ago, I’d no idea of the extent that Michelle would take over your life.’

‘Nor me,’ I admitted. ‘But Mum seems to be really happy with the change, Helen is more willing to be my friend at work, and of course Joan would never forgive me if I were to back out now after all her hard work.’

‘I suppose so, and it would let Alan down as well,’ she added. ‘But all that's not as important as whether it is the right thing for you.’

‘I seem to be doing alright as Michelle, at least for the time being, so I’ll keep to the plan. Also I get to improve my dancing. So I’d better continue as we planned.’

‘Alright, but when all the demonstrations are over, I want you to know that Rob and I will support you in whatever you decide to do.’

‘What do you mean?’

‘If you want to change back to Michael, we will make sure it happens and that you will still have a job. Equally, if you decide to continue as Michelle for a while that will also be alright, as well.’

‘Thanks Sarah,’ I said, not knowing what to think about what she’d just said to me.

I helped her to her front door, and just as she was about to enter, I came out with something that had been on my mind for a day or two.

‘Sarah, I get the impression that you and Rob trust me more since I became Michelle.’

‘It isn’t a question of our not trusting you as Michael, but you do seem to have more self-confidence and are more mature as a young woman than you were as a young man.’

I sighed, knowing deep down that she was probably right.

~o~O~o~

After I got home, Mum helped me to try on my two costumes for the next Saturday once again. I was especially pleased with the cream dress, as it seemed to show off my new breasts without giving any indication that they were anything but genuine.

‘So what do you think, Mum,’ I asked as I was standing in front of the full length mirror in the spare room.

‘I think you look truly lovely, Michelle. I’m sure you'll be a credit to everyone who has helped you.’

‘I hope so.’

She began to cry.

‘What is it Mum? What’s the matter?’

‘I’m so proud to have you as my daughter, even if it is only for a few weeks,’ she said sniffing.

I wanted to respond ‘And I’m proud that you see me as your daughter,’ but for some reason was unable to do so. Instead I just murmured my thanks.

‘Why don’t we begin to organise your costumes?’ she asked.

‘Alright’ I replied.

‘I’m afraid that we’re going to need to use the wardrobe in the spare room for your dresses. I suggest that you pack away all of Michael’s clothes in a couple of the smaller suitcases for the time being. We can ask Alan to put them in the loft for us when he comes to collect us on Saturday.’

She seemed so enthused by the idea and so sure of herself that I didn’t have the heart to object.

‘The suitcases won’t be too heavy; if you hold the step ladder for me, I expect I’ll be able to stow them in the loft by myself.’

‘Alright, but change into some jeans first and please take care on the steps; it would be disastrous if you had an accident like your friend.’

~o~O~o~

Alan and I met up again for another practice session on the Sunday afternoon and evening where we pretty well perfected our Quickstep routine, although we agreed to have a full dress rehearsal on the coming Thursday. We also met up again on the following Tuesday evening at the usual club meeting where we went through the Viennese Waltz with the four other couples who would be dancing with us. They were all fairly experienced with the dance and so everyone felt quite satisfied with the result. In fact Alan and I decided to add an extra fast spin at the end as a final flourish.

‘Wow, you two are really impressive dancing together,’ said Louise to Alan and me after the rehearsal. ‘What else have you got planned for future weeks?’

‘We haven’t really thought very far ahead but we are due to dance the Charleston and American Smooth at the end of October.’

‘Do you have any thoughts about the Charleston, Michelle?’ Alan asked me.

‘How about ‘Black Bottom Stomp’? It’s a Jelly Roll Morton track, which would be ideal. There is a modern recording of it by Wynton Marsalis.’

‘I’ll have a look out for it.’

‘Do you have anything suitable to wear for the Charleston?’ Louise asked me.

‘Yes thanks, Mum has a lovely black beaded flapper dress that will be a lot of fun to dance in.’

‘So what are we going to do for the American Smooth?’ Alan asked me.

(I should perhaps explain that ‘American Smooth’ is a category of ballroom dances rather than an individual dance and can include steps from the Waltz, Viennese Waltz, Tango or Foxtrot, but without many of the usual restrictions traditionally imposed on those dances, with respect to maintaining body contact. The category therefore allows for more elaborate and creative routines, and provides a chance to show off a little with lifts, lady under arm turns, spins, side by side positions, parallel turns, dips, drops and other variations that would never be allowed in traditional ballroom dancing.)

‘Louise, I know that you are going to be responsible for the Latin dances, but would you mind if we danced a Tango in the American Style?’

‘Please go ahead and do whatever you think is best, Michelle. I agreed to cover the Latin dances, but to be honest I am rather dreading the prospect. I'd much prefer to be one of the supporting dancers.’

‘What do you think, Alan?’ I asked.

‘Alright, an American Smooth Tango it is, so long as you are happy to do the choreography and choose the music.’

‘Good, I’ve already had some ideas,’ I replied.

~o~O~o~


Next time: New responsibilities

Thanks to Bronwen for editing and to everyone else for comments and kudos which are always appreciated.

Note: This chapter originally had several hundred additional reads, four or five comments and 40+ kudos when the BC system crashed and they were lost. ;-( Louise

up
172 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Michelle's boss understands her better than she does herself

‘Thanks Sarah,’ I said, not knowing what to think about what she’d just said to me.

But you will, Michelle. You will. (And that said in a Glenda the Good voice, rather than a scary Yoda one. Happy times ahead...)

SuZie

Another Great Chapter

This

‘It isn’t a question of our not trusting you as Michael, but you do seem to have more self-confidence and are more mature as a young woman than you were as a young man.’

I sighed, knowing deep down that she was probably right.

is probably the biggest Hint Mike could get right now

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Those Gowns

joannebarbarella's picture

Sound absolutely gorgeous. I'm green with envy,

Joanne

And Mother & Daughter are getting on famously!

Michelle's Mum is drinking in every moment! I think by now everyone knows Michael's nothing more than a distant memory, except perhaps Michelle herself. Lovely chapter Louise dear. Loving Hugs Talia

Don't you hate computers ?

Wonderful, wonderful ! Louise, just wonderful !
It feels like we're in the room with Michelle. I think both Mom and Sarah think Michael is in the past.
Louise Anne, where did you learn so much about Ballroom Dancing ?

Cefin