Somewhere Else Entirely -99-

Printer-friendly version

Greatly expanded, previously part of chapter 98.

Garia's stay at Dekarran consists, as she had expected, of a number of meetings and explanations. Uncle Gil wants to know just what happened during her trip to Blackstone and then there's the whole matter of firearms to explain. The days' hard work is topped off by a banquet in the evening for all, in which the girls get a chance to dress themselves up for the boys.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

99 - Stories and a Banquet


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2014 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"There! Look there, girls. That is the River Sirrel."

The two young maids looked out of the south-facing window at the view, impressive from this height. For once the sky was covered with cloud but the visibility was reasonably good so most of the river and the land beyond was plain to see.

Jasinet said, "That is the Sirrel? But, milady, it is so big."

Lanilla added, "So much water! I understand now what the Lord Terinar meant before, milady. And the land... why is it so flat? This is not the edge of the world, is it?"

Garia chuckled. "No, Lanilla, far from it! Just over there, in the distance where you can't see it, is another range of mountains even larger than those we have just come from. This whole landscape is the Great Valley and it was all made by the river. To your left is the end of the Sirrel and where the sea begins. The other direction is the Valley and it stretches for many marks, perhaps as many as we have come from Blackstone."

"We must needs cross this great water, milady? How do we possibly cross so large a space? Do we have to go on very big ships?"

"There are special ferries, like those we used at Teldor only much larger. Look! There's one over there, see?" Garia leaned out the window then came back, shaking her head. "I can't see the dock where we'll be going to get the ferry, we can't see it from here. Don't worry, the sailors who run those things know what they are doing."

"As you say, milady. Of course! You must have crossed already, when you traveled up from the palace."

"True. Oh! Actually, Lady Merizel and myself have crossed three times, although we were hidden in a wagon the last time."

"Aye, milady. You told us that story, I remember."

"Okay then, girls. We'd better be off to get our breakfast, I think. We have a lot to get through today."

* * *

"Uncle Gil! Aunt Vivenne! Good morning."

"Good morning, Garia. Did you sleep well?"

"Thank you, yes, Aunt Vivenne. It would be difficult not to in a bed that size."

"Everything is to your satisfaction?"

"Oh, yes! Lots of hot water and plenty of room to dress ourselves. Lots of light from those big windows. It's a shame we can't stay much longer."

Gilbanar said, "You are always welcome to come visit, you know that, Garia."

"I know, Uncle Gil. It's just that I'm going to be so busy when I get back to Palarand... and with winter coming on we won't be able to get back before spring at the earliest."

"Aye, but with the semaphore now working across the river we'll at least be able to keep in touch. To think, you'll soon be able to ask me a question at the palace and have an answer the same day!" Gilbanar shook his head. "I understood the world would be changing, I didn't expect it to change so fast."

"Dear, perhaps we should take our seats. I think breakfast is about ready."

Gilbanar looked around. "Where's Keren?"

Garia said, "Last night he told me he was going to do his Tai Chi with the men this morning. We did ours in the bedroom before we came."

"Ah. Then he should arrive shortly. Viv, should we delay breakfast until he arrives?"

"A while, dear. If we leave it too long then it will begin to cool."

"Uncle Gil," Garia asked, "are you doing the Tai Chi?"

"Uh, not just yet, Garia. Vivenne has begun to do it and I don't think she will let me escape for much longer." Gilbanar frowned. "Regrettably this business up-river has taken much of my waking hours and it is too important to postpone for a little arm-waving."

"Then you misunderstand the nature of the exercise, Uncle Gil," Garia told him. "Tai Chi does not just exercise the body, gently stretching muscles and relaxing joints, it helps clear and focus the mind to make you ready for the tasks of the day ahead."

Gilbanar gave her a rueful smile. "Consider your rebuke duly delivered, my dear. I will join the exercises from tomorrow."

"Here comes Keren now," Vivenne said. "Let us take our seats."

Over breakfast Garia explained the nature and philosophy of Tai Chi in more detail to Gilbanar, with support from Keren.

Gilbanar asked, "And this helps you in your unarmed combat, is that not so?"

"Well, you can do the combat practice without doing the Tai Chi but it doesn't make a lot of sense, seeing as the two are related."

"As you say. I'll begin tomorrow, though I may look the fool to begin with."

"It won't be a problem, Uncle Gil. Everybody has to start somewhere."

From along the table, Trosanar asked, "Highness, would it be possible for me and my men to learn this method? I have watched you do it along the way and it seems a useful thing for all to learn."

"Hmm. There's no reason why not, my lord. There's nothing secret about it. The Baroness and I will have to leave Dekarran tomorrow so it wouldn't be us who could teach you, though. Uncle Gil?"

Gilbanar shrugged. "As the Prince says, my lord. He has to depart but there is no reason why you and your men could not stay here long enough to learn the movements." He grinned. "There is no urgency for you to return, is there? I hear your demesne is left in good hands. Garia, how long would it take?"

"You might be able to do it in a week, Uncle Gil, but it would be very boring. Two weeks would be better, though really it takes a while to get into the flow of the movements."

"Then if you will allow me to remain as your guest, Your Grace, we will join you at your exercises and, perhaps, make you look less the fool than we will be."

"Done!"

Keren asked, "What are we going to do after breakfast, Uncle Gil? I had hoped to get some mat practice in while we have the chance. It hasn't been possible while we were out on the road."

Gilbanar thought. "Aye, we can spare the time. Trosanar, have you seen the Prince or the Baroness at their combat exercises?"

"I have heard them spoken of, Your Grace, but I have not seen them do any. Along our route, there was no opportunity for such activities."

The Duke gave the Count a wicked smile. "Then you shall be educated, my lord. I deem we can spare the time to permit our young warriors to show you what they can do."

* * *

"Maker!"

Trosanar flinched as the sole of Garia's boot stopped a finger's width away from Keren's windpipe. She stepped back and then offered a hand to help the Prince back to his feet. The two made Japanese-style bows to each other before stepping off the training mat and joining the watchers.

"Highness, Milady, I am almost appalled by the speed and violence of your exercise," Trosanar said. "Do you not injure one another?"

"Not very often," Keren replied. "We pick up the odd bruise now and then. Or, should I say, I pick up the odd bruise! Garia somehow seems to avoid most of that."

"That's not exactly true," she responded. "I get bruises too but I'm hardly likely to show you where they are, am I? Actually we don't have too much trouble with each other, we've trained together too often for that. If I get bruises, it is with some of the men who are still learning how to do the movements."

"As you say, milady. And these men, you trained all of them?"

"No, not all. Of those which I trained, Feteran and D'Kenik of my own men and Kerrak and Yasoon of the Dekarran contingent are the only ones present apart from the Prince. They in turn have begun training others." She turned to observe the apparent melee on the mats in front of them. "Seems to be working so far, doesn't it? I'm impressed by how far they have come since I was here last."

"Thank you, milady," Captain Jokar said. "The men were encouraged by the example you gave them when those men attempted the kidnap. Guard duty in Dekarran has been taken more seriously since that event."

"I heard you had made significant changes," Keren observed.

"Aye, Highness," the Captain responded. "Following your departure, we have made a full survey of the castle, and for the first time we now have plans of every level, every corridor, every chamber in the building. We shall not be caught out as we were before."

"That's good," Garia said, accepting a drink from Jenet. "Did you find anything interesting?"

"Aye, milady. Several lost items have been found and a number of forgotten passages rediscovered." Jokar coughed. "Perhaps we should not be discussing such matters in public."

"As you say. Well," Garia added, "I think I've done enough here, don't you agree, Keren? We must go and change before that other important meeting this morning."

"Aye, Garia. With your permission, Captain?"

~o~O~o~

Gibanar gestured. "Tell me your story, then."

"As you wish, Uncle Gil," Garia said. "I think we'll start when we got to South Slip, if I may... or would that be giving away some confidences?"

Her eyes slid to rest on Trosanar, who had joined all the others in Gilbanar's parlor for this meeting.

The Duke waved a hand. "You can leave out the small details, Garia. We know that you set out to go north with Milady Merizel and Mistress Jenet, all disguised as traveling women, on a caravan of Master Tanon's."

"That's right. Well, everything went fine until we reached Teldor, and then we discovered we had a problem."

Garia explained how they had discovered by chance that Keren's party had split and that this made locating them somewhat more difficult. She recounted how they had eventually joined up north of Haligo and continued north, mentioning the problem with the wagon wheel.

"But something like this is bound to happen, isn't it, Tanon?" Gilbanar objected. "With so many wagons, surely the chances of a wheel problem increase with every extra wagon."

"This is so, Your Grace," Tanon replied, "but I believe milady has a particular reason for mentioning this one, since the wagon was one of yours and the driver one of your own men."

"Oh. As you say. Durko."

"That's right, Uncle Gil," Garia agreed. "We didn't know it then but he obviously had some plan to delay us until he could get reinforcements from the south. Remember, until we met up with Keren he had no idea I was going north at all. It was only at that point he must have realized he needed to get a message out."

Gilbanar grunted. "As you say. Go on."

She took them through their stay in Tranidor and their departure after picking up the two mystified guildsmen. Then came their journey along the Chaarn road where Garia mentioned her discovery on the broken markstone.

"You say you can read those stones? Does this mean that the Chivans came from Earth?"

"Yes, Uncle Gil, although they aren't known as Chivans back there. We call them the Romans, and they had an empire that was the largest at the time and lasted about a thousand years. The Romans use the same letters as we do, or more accurately we still use their letters, although the language is somewhat different. I could puzzle out what was on that markstone but I don't think I could read some of the other inscriptions Master Bezan says the masons have."

She mentioned that they had made camp by the river, inside an old Chivan building.

"It's beautiful country, Uncle Gil. We were wondering if some of it could be saved, kept as it is. Very often you don't realize that something is gone until it's... gone."

Keren added, "I asked her if she wanted some of it for a forest preserve. I'm right in thinking that land is all yours, Uncle Gil?"

Gilbanar nodded. "Aye, it all is. Nobody else wanted that part of the Bray valley, and there seemed to be little of value there, so I was forced to administer it myself. The part I ceded to Garia was what I thought the better part of what land there was, since it included the town." He turned to Garia. "Did you want the forest? It seems to me that the people of Blackstone would have more interest in that forest than any other might. Shall it be added to your own lands?"

"Um, Uncle Gil, that's a generous offer."

Gibanar grinned. "Not really, Garia. It means somebody else gets to look after it. That land is a long way from Dekarran and I have enough trouble managing the forests and mountains nearer home. It makes more sense for your own people to have stewardship over it."

"Then I'll accept, Uncle Gil. But I don't want to run it like I've heard other forests are run, I want to make it a park for all the people of Palarand to enjoy. It will be separate from my other holdings and have different rules and regulations. That way we can keep it safe for future generations."

"Trosanar? What say you?"

"Your Grace, I was not privy to the discussion between His Highness and Lady Garia. The forest you speak of adjoins my own lands on one side of the Bray but I have no objection to your proposal. It will be better for all if the land is properly managed, whoever does that and however milady desires to do that."

"That's settled, then. The forest and all the land north of it shall become yours, Garia."

"What? Uncle Gil, you shouldn't."

Gilbanar grinned broadly at Garia. "I just did, milady. As Lord Trosanar has just remarked, the land would be better managed by somebody residing nearby, nearer than down here, at any rate! Have no fear that I am giving away of my own lands, for in truth the upper end of the Bray brought me no revenue at all, being so poor. It was only the wool trade that brought in any income at all and that disappeared when the disease hit the pakh flocks."

Keren objected, "But the lands are not so poor now, uncle. Do you not wish to have a portion of Blackstone's new-found wealth?"

Gilbanar waved a hand. "I don't need to, Keren. It is obvious that all Palarand shall become richer through Garia's gifts so, just as Tranidor will grow and benefit Trosanar, Dekarran will grow and benefit the Duchy. Garia, continue with your tale, if you would."

"So then we left the camp site, Uncle Gil, and rode the few miles to Blackstone. It was strange..."

Garia described how they had found the town dilapidated and eerily quiet when they arrived. She recounted the confrontation and battle and how the captive townspeople had been released.

"Trogan, you say? That was the name he gave? Describe him, if you would."

"Um, about Keren's height, mid to late thirties, dark hair, well-built, obviously well-fed."

Gilbanar shook his head. "That is not the same Trogan I sent out from the castle two years ago to make an assessment of my lands to the north. Trogan was small, fifty or so and nearly bald."

Keren said, "Jaxen's men found two graves in the forest when they returned to Tranidor the first time. The bodies had been there long enough it was not possible to tell who they may have been. Someone, I forget who, told us that the false Trogan arrived in town one day with five frayen on a line. It is likely that your servant was ambushed, robbed and killed, Uncle Gil, with the main bandit pretending to be your assessor in order to milk the town."

"Remember there may be other graves out there," Garia added, "two of the townsmen tried to get away, to get word to Tranidor and warn them what was happening. They never arrived."

Gilbanar's expression was grim. "Continue, Garia."

With many interruptions from the Duke, Garia and Keren gave him a condensed account of their time in Blackstone and what they had done. The only time they had to give more detail was when they described their other battle and the meeting with the ptuvil.

"Maker! When you do a thing, milady, you do it properly, don't you?" Gilbanar's eyes bored into Garia's. "This is one thing you did not mention in your letters, either of you. Tell me about these guns, as you call them."

"Uncle Gil, we would prefer to show you, as we have brought them with us. But it will have to be somewhere down below, somewhere we can have a bit of privacy."

"Can we use them here, against any attacker?"

Keren answered, "It wouldn't be wise, Uncle. The weapons are quite crude and one destroyed itself and killed the man holding it. We hope the guildsmen can use them as a pattern for much better weapons once we get them back to Palarand." He leaned forward. "The main point, uncle, is that the existence of guns proves that Garia isn't the only person presently here from Earth. She didn't tell anyone about guns, in fact she has tried very hard not to. Therefore, somebody else must have, and Yod is using them against us - and will use them against everybody else, if my thinking is right."

Gilbanar grunted. "As you say. Jokar, you and Feteran go and make what arrangements you need to show us these guns. Garia can tell us the rest of her tale and then we'll join you."

Jokar and Feteran both stood. "As you command, Your Grace," Jokar responded. The two left the parlor together.

"There must have been fourteen of them," Garia said. "Perhaps one or two less, it was difficult to count them up, especially as some of their frayen escaped and we couldn't catch them all. We think that two may have gotten away completely." She shrugged. "After that we rode back to the town and tried to find out more about them. That was when we discovered that Durko had been one of the attackers. It seemed he had been keeping in touch with them all along. Along with him was the town's shoemaker and his son, perhaps another two locals and six - we think - miners, although the miners might not have been real. Miners, that is. There must have been one or two more from outside, to bring the guns up. Later, we found a narrow valley where it seems they camped."

"So. We will speak more of this battle later, if we may. Let us continue with Blackstone. Garia?"

"We started thinking about how the town would develop once the mines began working and I realized this was the perfect opportunity to do some town planning. Most towns have just grown over the years and there's been no organization about where workshops or housing goes but in Blackstone we could actually designate zones where things could be laid out before the building started." She paused. "We had to do something, all the coal traffic would have had to go up and down the main street and it would have quickly overwhelmed the town."

Gilbanar nodded. "I remember your description from your letters, Garia. I wish we had something similar for Dekarran, but I fear it is too late for that."

"It's never too late, Uncle Gil, and you'll have to do some reorganizing when the railroad arrives in any event."

Garia briefly described the rest of her stay and then the arrival of the King's decree. She told Gilbanar about appointing Bleskin as Steward and how she appointed a Sheriff to maintain law and order in the town.

"An excellent choice, Garia! When Bleskin left here I wondered what would become of him, after he was unexpectedly left on his own. I am pleased that you have found a suitable place for his knowledge and experience."

"So am I, Uncle Gil. It helps that, because he is from the north, he is known to a number of people in the town already - and being the former captain of the Palace Guard does him no harm, either."

"As you say. Now, tell me a little more about this Sheriff of yours. How does his function differ from that of the Watch in, say, Tranidor?"

"The Watch which was set up in Blackstone had been disbanded by Trogan, Uncle Gil, and it seemed to me that it was really only useful within the town itself. So, when I decided to set up a replacement, I chose a system from my own lands. In rural parts of Kansas a Sheriff and his deputies can cover the whole county, rather than just the town."

"County?"

"Yes, that's what we call our larger administrative regions in Kansas." Garia's eyes narrowed as she thought through what she had just said. "Now I think about it, a county would be the lands a count ruled over, wouldn't they? We don't have counts or barons or dukes any more but I guess the word for the district survived through to the present day. I never realized that before."

"Interesting. Go on."

"I thought that, seeing as how Blackstone is going to grow bigger in the next few years, and with mine workings potentially all over the hills, we'd need a few men who could uphold the law over the whole of my lands. The posts are full-time, too, which means the men can concentrate on doing their jobs rather than just being called off some other task to help drunks get back home." She shrugged. "If it doesn't work out, we can always find a different way of doing things. I don't claim to have much experience of law enforcement and I don't claim my way will be better."

Gilbanar nodded thoughtfully. "An interesting idea, Garia. You will keep me informed how successful your Sheriff is? If it works it sounds like a system which I could use nearer to Dekarran."

"Yes..." Garia replied slowly. "But, if you remember a conversation we had a long time ago," in the Council of the Two Worlds, "I also mentioned that we have a number of different law enforcement agencies for different circumstances. I'm not sure the Sheriff system would work within Dekarran itself."

"Of course, Garia. I was not thinking of Dekarran but of some of the more remote parts of North Palarand. Like yourself - and, indeed, Trosanar here - I have lands which are not close to any large town. In very small villages, true, only a Watch may be needed, but something as you describe may suit the larger villages and small towns under my rule."

"Merizel?"

"Aye, Garia. I'll add it to the list."

"Lady Merizel."

"Yes, Your Grace?"

"I suggest you write a note to our esteemed Captain Bleskin, advising him of his additional responsibilities."

"Your Grace? Oh! You mean the new lands and forest that you have given to Garia."

"Just so, milady. I'm sure he will need to adjust his plans to take account of the new grants."

"As you say, Your Grace. Speaking for the town, I'm sure everybody will be delighted that you are willing to provide them further lands."

Gilbanar grunted. "I'm sure some will be delighted, milady. There will always be those who can find fault with anything."

~o~O~o~

"So that is a gun."

Gilbanar regarded the modified pipe which lay on the floor in front of them. They were in a chamber on the north side, with light coming in through some high-level glassless windows in the wall. Nobody was going to overlook this meeting.

"Aye, Uncle Gil. If Garia wouldn't mind, I'll go through what she told us in Blackstone and she or Feteran can correct me when I'm wrong. I want to make sure that I can describe this correctly."

There were no objections so Keren gave the audience a description of how a gun worked, what had happened during the battle and what one should do when faced by a gun. Garia took a sample of the powder and placed it on a square of paper which was then lit. It took some time for the smoke to clear.

"So you see, Uncle Gil, if just that small amount of powder can make so great a cloud of smoke imagine what a cartridge like this can do." Keren held up the silk cylinder.

"But it would just burn, surely," Jokar said. "How could such a burning propel anything out of that... barrel... fast enough to be a danger?"

"It is the speed of the burning, Captain," Keren explained. "And there is no other way for the smoke to get out. Trust me, it comes out so fast you cannot see the shot as it flies."

"My apologies, Highness, I still don't see how it can be that strong."

"Ah. Feteran, perhaps it's time we unwrapped the other gun."

There were gasps and mutterings as the other weapon was revealed.

"What did this?" Jokar asked.

"The gun malfunctioned," Garia explained. "Instead of the shot coming out the barrel the explosive was powerful enough to split the barrel along the top. That's how strong this powder is, captain, strong enough to blow open an iron pipe and kill the man holding it."

"These guns are a danger to those using them, then? "Gilbanar asked.

"Yes and no, Uncle Gil," Garia said. "These weapons failed because we believe the person who told them how to make them deliberately gave them bad information. They would work for testing and training and then maybe fail in the field. That tells us that the person they have working for them probably isn't doing so willingly. But a properly designed and made gun is probably safer than a longbow is to the archer."

"Uncle," Keren added, "it would be unwise to assume that any further guns we face will have the same defects. In the weeks since these would have left Yod they must have discovered the faults and corrected them." He shrugged. "Of course, there may be other faults in their newer weapons, we won't know until we face them."

"Hmm." Gilbanar pondered. "Jokar, you heard? This will mean further orders to the garrison. We will have no time to reproduce any of this before we are likely to encounter them but we must make sure that the men know how to shelter from such an attack."

"As you say, Your Grace."

"Garia, I assume that you can tell us how to make these? I mean, guns that will not be dangerous to the wielder?"

"Uncle Gil, there are no guns which are not dangerous to the wielder, not any, anywhere. In principle I can give you, or more properly the guildsmen who will do the making, instructions how to make guns, yes. Guns that will be as safe as anyone could make them. You can probably figure most of it out yourself from what you've seen here today. But, I can't tell you how to make the powder, simply because that is something that took centuries of experiment and refinement to get right. I wouldn't trust the captured powder at all and I wouldn't even want to make tests with it, it's too dangerous. This is going to require a special group of guildsmen and questors out on a remote farm somewhere where they can experiment without putting anyone else in danger."

Gilbanar regarded Garia for a long while before nodding. "If it were another who gave me such advice I would hesitate before following it. However, you obviously know your subject so I must bow to your knowledge. How soon might we see such weapons produced in Palarand for use by the armsmen of Palarand?"

Garia shrugged. "I don't know, Uncle Gil. Maybe around this time next year, but I'm not promising anything. We have so many other projects on the go it will take time to organize what we will need." She held up a hand. "I know Yod has these and we'll be at a disadvantage until we get something at least similar. I also know the King is going to want a priority put on gun manufacture."

Gilbanar grunted. "As you say, Garia." He looked up. "I see it is almost time for lunch. Let us pack this booty safely away and then refresh ourselves." He smiled at Garia. "I understand there is a fair-sized deputation waiting to see you this afternoon."

"There always is, Uncle Gil. There always is."

~o~O~o~

Garia stumped into her bedchamber and threw herself, face-down, onto the huge bed with a groan.

"Ooooh! How can some men be so intelligent and so stupid at the same time?"

Merizel came and sat on the bed beside her. Garia raised herself on one elbow to regard her friend.

"The same way women can, I imagine," Merizel replied. "Have we not encountered such variety as we traveled?"

Garia let her arm slide so that her reply was partly muffled. "You're right, of course. I should have realized that even apparently knowledgeable guildsmen can be... thick as two planks sometimes. We knew that already, didn't we? We've just been lucky in those we've had to work with so far."

Merizel smiled. "Maybe. I remember Master Yarling, it took you some while to convince him that you were serious about mining coal."

"So true." Garia rolled over, sat up and pouted. "It would help if I didn't look so much like a young girl. It makes it very hard for anyone to believe what I'm saying."

"Garia, you are a young girl, nay, a young woman, and you'll just have to get used to the fact." She thought, then grinned. "Don't you think His Highness would have treated you differently had you been another age?"

Garia returned a rueful smile. "Well, if you put it like that..."

Jenet approached. "Milady, I have begun running the water for our bath. Lanilla reports that your gowns for this evening have been placed in the dressing room."

Garia slid off the bed to stand in front of her senior maid. "That's just what I need, a good soak. All that standing around all afternoon, talking... I'm getting stiff. The evening gowns? Good. If Uncle Gil is throwing a banquet for us we have to look our best, don't we?"

Garia, Merizel and their three maids all bathed and then congregated in one of the dressing rooms to attire themselves for the evening. For this purpose gowns had been borrowed from the castle wardrobe and modified to fit each wearer while Garia was out meeting guildsmen and other notables. Garia had found a simple gown in green, but of vertical bands of different shades which merged into one another. Merizel had found a more complex design in a pastel crimson shade. The three maids each wore Blackstone green, their evening outfits cleaned and pressed by the castle staff during the day.

"Ow!"

"Hold still, milady. That is because you haven't worn anything in your ears for some weeks and the holes have begun to close."

"Yes. Er, as you say, Jenet. At home we had... do you know what I mean if I said the word 'keepers' to you?"

"A simple ear ornament just to keep the holes open, milady? I believe that young girls wear such items after their ears are pierced for that very reason. Of course, normally that would be done at a much younger age than when you came to us, milady."

"That's right," Merizel confirmed, checking her own hair in the polished-metal mirror. "Most girls have them done about the age of three or so. I remember I squealed when I had mine done, though it took but a moment."

"I'm sorry. Next time I'll come sooner."

"If you had been younger, you'd have had even more trouble getting people to believe you," Merizel reminded her.

"I wasn't being serious. Now, how's my hair?"

"It's... interesting, Garia. I wouldn't have thought it was long enough to pile up like that but it seems to work." Her friend smiled. "The Prince is already smitten, he will be speechless when he sees you tonight."

Garia smiled back. "It's a lot of hard work, isn't it, but I'm beginning to enjoy doing it, especially when we can make a big impression on those who matter." She turned to the two younger girls. "How are you coping? What do you think of the castle?"

"I never imagined such a place could exist, milady!" Jasinet gushed. "Such large windows, such fine paneling! And I have never seen rugs that stretch the entire width of the floor, either! Such an amazing place, so large, so many rooms!"

"Aye, milady," Lanilla agreed. "I could not dream of such a place as this. I thought the castles we stayed in along the way were like palaces but this one is so much better than any other. Is the palace itself anything like this, milady?"

Garia smiled. "Yes and no, Lanilla. Dekarran is mostly made of stone despite all the wood you see lining the rooms, but the palace is nearly all wood. Because of that it is only two stories high where the castle goes back up the hillside many levels. The palace is very old, though, and you'll see a lot of fancy carving and painting and gold leaf covering the walls and ceilings. It's just different. Oh, and Jasinet? Those rugs you saw would be called carpets when they cover the whole floor."

"Oh. As you say, milady."

There was a knock at the door of the suite and Jasinet went to see who it was. She returned with a grinning Korizet and an embarrassed Senidet. Both girls had obviously spent some time perfecting their appearance and it was apparent that Senidet was unused to having so much care lavished on herself. Korizet wore a gown Garia had seen before, a cobalt blue creation with a tiered skirt and dark red inserts while Senidet's gown was of ice blue. Both girls had small tiaras in their carefully piled-up hair.

"Wow! It seems we're not the only ones who want to make the boys drool!"

"Aye, Garia," Korizet grinned. "Tonight, we show the boys, as you say, what we can really do. Though I deem Mistress Senidet is unsure about preparing herself thus for the hunt."

"As you say, uh, Lady Korizet," Senidet said hesitantly. She turned to Garia. "Milady, I have never done anything like this before, I know not how to conduct myself. And all these clothes, so fine! I should not be wearing... Milady, are you sure I should not eat below stairs with the servants? It is my place, really."

Garia put an arm around Senidet's shoulder. "Nope, not tonight! We had explicit instructions from Duchess Vivenne to clean you up and make you presentable for this evening's do. Uncle Gil, er, Lord Gilbanar that is, wanted to make sure we all had a decent evening meal to remember our stay in Dekarran by." She grinned at the girl. "All the armsmen will be scrubbed up and squeaky clean as well, you know. Don't you want to see what Tedenis can look like when he tries?"

"Don't you want to see the look on his face when you enter the dining hall?" Merizel added.

Senidet blushed and lowered her gaze. "Milady, it would please me... but, in front of the Duke and all the other nobles?"

Garia tried a reassuring smile. "Look, whether you want to or not, your status has changed from that of a smith's daughter in a remote mountain town. You are, in all but name, a guildswoman, one of the first, and you'll have to get used to being seen in public, the same way I have had to. It's true this banquet will be different than what you'll usually eat in your new job but I can promise you there will be many more fancy dinners in your future. Besides, you know most of us anyway, don't you? You'll be among friends this evening."

"As you say, milady. It seems very strange to me, that I, who once helped my father puzzle out his drawings in his workshop, should sup with the Prince and the brother of the King, but you are right. It also seems I will not be the only one drawing attention this night, though, looking at your attire and that of Milady Merizel."

"That's right!" Garia grinned broadly. "Come on, girls, we're about to have some fun, let's go knock 'em out!"

Captain Jokar himself came to lead their escort down to the dining chamber. On seeing the four girls he executed an elaborate bow before leading them along the brightly-lit corridors. For this evening only, Garia's men had been given duty inside the chamber so their escort was of trusted Dekarran men. When they reached the chamber door the hum of conversation within came to an abrupt halt.

"Countess Korizet, Lady Garia, Baroness Blackstone, Lady Merizel of South Reach and Mistress Senidet of Blackstone," Gilbanar's chamberlain intoned.

The men surged forward, carefully letting Gilbanar reach the girls first.

"Well!" he beamed. "Who are these beauties and where have you been hiding in my castle? Garia, you look amazing as usual. Merizel, I see you usually keep your talents well hidden. Korizet, you are a sight to gladden any father's eyes. And who is this? A beauty I have not seen before, surely."

Senidet blushed and curtseyed. "Senidet, My - Your Grace. Forgive me, I am not used to gatherings such as this."

"Mistress Senidet, you are welcome at my table." He beamed again. "Relax, my dear, we shall not bite your head off. If you will be associated with Palarand's first Guildmistress then you will in time become used to such august gatherings as this."

"So she tells me, Your Grace."

Gilbanar nodded. "Good. Well, let me get out of the way, since I know that there are younger men here who wish to pay court to you all."

As the Duke stepped back Garia's prediction proved true: the men were all speechless. Garia only had eyes for Keren and there were no words she could say either. Dressed in his best outfit, with his royal sash across his broad chest and his gold fillet around his brow, he made an irresistable figure facing her. His expression showed first surprise, but she caught fleeting glimpses of others as his thoughts raced - appreciation, satisfaction, wonder, pride, contentment, love.

She felt goosebumps travel in waves across her whole body as she saw the desire in his eyes and she knew that she shared that desire. She wanted to be held in his arms again - for ever - and to feel his lips once more against hers. Awkwardly, she took a step forward and then curtseyed low, to which Keren responded with an elaborate bow.

"My Lady," he asked, "may I escort you?"

"I -" Her voice caught in her throat. Calmly now, you're in a big hall with hordes of onlookers. You have waited so long, a little longer won't hurt. "I would be honored, Your Highness."

He held out his arm and she slipped her hand through, holding him firmly.

"We have a few moments before the meal is served," he said. "Will you walk with me?"

Behind Garia all the other women had taken her cue and curtseyed at the same time. Terinar stared wordless at Merizel before stepping forward, his arm outstretched.

"Lady Merizel," he murmured. "You look wonderful tonight."

"Thank you, My Lord," she replied, her eyes fixed on his. "So do you." The two walked into the hall as the underlying conversation resumed.

Vivenne walked up to Senidet and took her hand. "Goodness! I have found a diamond hidden among the rocks. My dear, you surprise me. I had no idea such a beauty was hiding beneath that traveler's gown. I doubt not that the eyes of every man will be upon you this night." She smiled. "Except, perhaps, that of the Prince and my son, who have already chosen their partners, it would seem."

"As you say, Your Grace."

"Come, you shall sit next to me and we will plot our overthrow of these oafish men, who believe themselves lords of all creation. Korizet shall abet our efforts." Vivenne realized that Senidet's attention was elsewhere. "You have a man of your own in the room? I should have guessed. Which is he?"

"Your Grace, he is standing by the wall over there. He is Tedenis, and he and I have both left Blackstone together in milady's service."

"Then he has a duty tonight in this dining chamber. I understand. For the sake of discipline he must do his duty, but I will permit you to say a word or two to him before we sit down to eat. Afterward there will be time for you to meet, when he is released from his duties."

"Thank you, Your Grace. You are very kind."

Vivenne smiled. "Once upon a time I was as young as you, my dear, and in love with the brother of the King, though they were both but princes then. I understand how you both may feel tonight. He has seen you enter and will disbelieve his eyes, as I did. Whether you are promised to him or not you will be attended by many of the other eligible men here tonight, you realize that? Coming from Blackstone you may not be used to the press of attention, nor he."

Senidet looked uncomfortable. "This is true, Your Grace. Particularly since, before Milady Garia came to us, we were beset by bandits and there was no normal life in the town."

Vivenne nodded thoughtfully. "I remember. Then we must shield you from the onslaught. Let us pay our respects to your young man, and it will then be time for us to be seated. That will give us an opportunity to make a strategy for the dancing afterward."

"Dancing?"

Vivenne grinned. "Oh, yes. When my husband throws a banquet like this there will always be music and dancing afterward, you'll see. But we will shield you from such coarse entertainment." There was a twinkle in the Duchess's eye as she said this. Taking Senidet's hand, she headed for the indicated armsman.

* * *

At the end of the meal all rose to head into the other room, the one with the floor made of expensive imported hardwoods, suitable for dancing. As host, Gilbanar escorted Garia, who was the highest status female guest. Vivenne followed after, on Keren's arm. Behind them Trosanar took Merizel while Terinar guided Senidet between the rooms.

Gilbanar leaned toward Garia as they walked.

"Excuse me if I have been slow-witted lately, Garia," he told her, "but it seems to me that there is an understanding between yourself and the Prince."

She replied cautiously, "That is true, Uncle Gil. We've been careful but we haven't made any attempt to hide it from anyone."

"This is serious? Do Rob and Terys know?"

"It is, and they do, Uncle Gil."

"How long has this been going on? Since you set out from here for Blackstone, perhaps? I wondered if the temptation might prove too much for such a young pair."

"Uncle Gil, we first realized our feelings for one another during the rains." Gilbanar's eyes widened. "The Queen found out the same day we did, and we were properly told off."

"You have been told the Rule, then?"

"We have, Uncle Gil. We both understand the possible consequences."

"So long... and yet Rob still permitted you to travel north together."

They entered the chamber and Garia immediately flinched from the music the band were playing. Fortunately they were just providing background music at a low volume so she relaxed. She used her hand to draw Gilbanar away from the direct route to his chair so that they could continue to talk.

"Uncle Gil, we talked about this once we realized what was happening. Keren thinks it is some kind of test set by his father. Trouble is, we can't even work out what the test is, let alone the answer he's expecting." She looked at him, a thought suddenly fresh in her mind. "He didn't say anything to you, did he?"

"When he was here, you mean, before you both set out?" Gilbanar thought, then shook his head. "No, Garia, not to me. I am too simple-minded for such subtle games."

Garia grinned at the Duke. "You don't really expect me to believe that, do you? I think you and your brother are more alike than you care to admit. I'll believe that you didn't know, though. It's the kind of thing women would notice more than men would."

Gilbanar returned her smile. "Aye, you have the right of it, Garia. Vivenne constantly points out that which I have overlooked, or so she deems. Come, let us take our seats. Shall you dance tonight? I remember you practiced when you were here before."

The diners arranged themselves in the usual seats around the edge of the room while the band played several tunes in order to allow everyone's digestions to settle. People moved about, finding acquaintances, keeping the conversation levels low and light. Then the band struck a chord, the central area cleared, and people stood and came in pairs to form up for the first dance.

"You do not dance, Mistress Senidet?"

"Not like this, Lord Terinar," she replied as the dancers began their movements. "Of course, we have country dances at home on festival days but we have not been taught the formal dances the nobles do."

"You are like Garia, then," he commented. Senidet showed surprise. "When she last came to the castle, on her way up to your town, she could not dance either. We made it our business to ensure she learned the steps of many of the simplest dances before she departed." He gestured at those on the floor. "See? She has remembered the movements. Perhaps some of the dances to come will be like those you know."

"If you say so, milord," Senidet replied doubtfully.

"Terinar, are you corrupting that young woman?"

"Uh, no, mother. I enquired why she did not dance."

"She has not been brought up in the ways of the court so she would not know the steps to most dances," Vivenne said. "We do not have time to teach her as we did Garia those weeks ago."

"I was explaining that to her, mother."

"Even if she could dance," Vivenne added, "her young man could not, could he? I shall write a note to the Queen to ensure they both have tuition in the social customs once they reach the palace. That would be best, do you not think?"

"As you say, mother."

The evening advanced and everybody had a chance on the dance floor. It was as the activities were coming to a close that Gilbanar had an idea.

"I think I need some fresh air, my dear. If we go out onto the north terrace we should be sheltered from the winds, should we not? Keren, what say you? Shall you bring Garia? Terinar can come with Merizel and our beautiful guildswoman can bring her young man."

Accompanied by Jenet and Feteran and a discreet mixture of guardsmen and maids, the group followed Gilbanar out onto a narrow terrace which faced almost north. It was cool but not unbearable, at least for a while. The cloud cover was broken and Kalikan shone brightly through, illuminating the lower reaches of the Palar valley and turning the terrain to silver.

Keren inspected those who had come with them thoughtfully.

"You did this deliberately, didn't you, Uncle Gil."

"Me?" the Duke protested, with an air of innocence. "All I wanted was some fresh air."

"As you wish, Uncle Gil."

He took Garia's hand and walked along the terrace until they had some privacy. Garia noticed that the other couples were similarly spreading themselves out. She turned to look at the view over the valley and felt his arm snake around her waist.

"By the Maker, I like doing that," he murmured.

"I like you doing that as well," she said, leaning into his body. "I just wish we could be official."

Keren regarded the other couples, all of whom had now embraced after realizing the situation.

"It seems we shall be the only couple who are not official," he murmured, "at least until we can get back to the palace and resolve our... problem. Even then we may have to wait."

"I'll wait," she said, "until Hell freezes over."

"I've heard you speak of Hell once or twice. Shall you explain?"

"Ah, it's all bound up with our religions. Best you not know. Let's just say it's a bad place you get sent to after you die if you've been bad during your life."

"After you die? But..." Keren shook his head. "Perhaps there are Earthly customs it would be better for us not to know."

"I told you that. That's why we have the Council, so we can filter out the good from the bad."

"As you say. What did Uncle Gil say, earlier, when you were walking between the chambers?"

"It hadn't dawned on him that we were... a couple until then. He claims to know nothing about what your father intends."

"And his own attitude?"

"You'll have to ask him yourself, Keren. He may look like a big, bluff Duke but he's smart, and he can hide things, despite what the world sees. I can't read him."

"I have known him all my life, of course, so I may fare better. Come, let us enjoy the moment and I will try him later."

Eventually it became too cold for the couples to stay outside so they drifted toward the door back into the castle. Keren arranged it so that he and Garia were close to the Duke and Duchess.

"Do you approve, Uncle?"

"Of you and Garia? I was not sure at first. The Rule, you see. But then I understood that Palarand and likely the whole Valley will undergo such changes when you will be King that practically, you are a perfect match for each other. Garia will be at the center of things whether she is Queen or not, but becoming Queen will make the task so much easier. Since she is no noble but not of Alaesia either I think the Rule may be waived in your case but I do not know how the other rulers will take such a decision."

"Thank you, Uncle Gil."

"Don't thank me yet, the deed is not done. I have no idea what your father intends, if this 'test' which Garia spoke of really exists." He stopped, his serious expression plain by the flickering light of a nearby torch. "I may not defy the decrees of my King but, if it is needful, you have a friend at court for your cause."

The look Keren returned was just as serious. "Thank you, Uncle Gil. If I can figure out what my father wants me to do I may not need your support but I am pleased that you choose to give it to us." He gripped Garia's hand tightly. "We shall not let you down."

up
402 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm surprised; I thought

I'm surprised; I thought every schoolboy knew 75/15/10, the approximate ratio of charcoal, saltpetre, and sulphur...


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

thats composition of black

thats composition of black dust. But modern cartridge/shell dust has entirely different composition. The muzzle velocity of musket and let´s colt .45, is somewhere else. The more effeciently the dust burns, the better is muzzle velocity (well, there are other vectors in that, but dust efficiency is main part of that)

What I fear most about, that Yod has not only muskets, but Canons too.

And making of dust IS VERY dangerous.

Black powder, or dust as you

Black powder, or dust as you call it, has assorted ratios of ingredients depending on what the task is. Fuses, fireworks, blasting powder and gunpowder all have different ratios, and when properly made by "milling" it into grains of powder of different sizes, different burn rates. but they all have the same basic ingredients. the "dust" that Yod is most likely using is unmilled Black Powder, and as such is not a very effective propellant, it absorbs moisture very easily, and tend to separate when transported. when you wet the basic ingredients into a paste, extrude it through a screen and carefully dry it, it becomes much more potent "milled" powder. Black powder is generally safe to transport, if proper precautions are taken. Making black powder is really no more dangerous than any number of industrial processes if down correctly, but finding the proper way to do things and insuring proper procedures are followed can be hard on your people.

Black powder is very effective in a well designed weapon, cartridge rifles using black powder can attain speeds of over 2000 fps, a Modern .45 automatic pistol only attains 900 feet per second, no better really than civil war black powder revolvers of proper design, just much cleaner burning and more stable, and not corrosive. (black powder residue rapidly rusts firearms if not removed promptly)

Modern gunpowder is different than black powder as it is nitroglycerin based, and is a propellant, not a "low explosive" as black powder is considered.

'Corning', not milling.

'Corning', not milling. Milling would be grinding it down to the powder. Corning is wetting the powder and extruding it into the shapes (grains) that burn best.

Modern smokeless propellant (shooters don't call it gunpowder when they're talking amongst themselves) is not nitroglycerine based. It's nitrocellulose based.

Specifically, the potassium nitrate ('salt petre') corrodes the barrel. It also coats the barrel, which is why they issued three sizes of balls during the civil war. If you fired too many times, you had to put a smaller ball in the barrel due to the coating. To clean the barrel, you used boiling water.

Serpentine powder (the 'dust') is what is used for fuses. In general, they didn't change the formula itself - they simply changed the grain size. From personal experience, serpentine, if fired in a pile, will actually stop its burn because the saltpetre seals off the combustion. (It also can melt a hole in the road. Don't ask)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Making gunpowder isn't

Making gunpowder isn't actually that dangerous, as long as you don't use open flames. It's also not as dangerous as people keep trying to make out - again, as long as you don't have open flames. If _loose_, it can friction start, but if well packed, it's about as explosive as a barrel of flour would be - meaning not very unless broken.

Later explosives are much more dangerous, because they are both more sensitive and more powerful. My grandfather apparently used to 'snap' the nitroglycerine drops that would form on dynamite. (He was in demolitions in WW-II. Probably the lowest MOS of any in the service - he blew up machine gun nests).

Gunpowder requires confined space to cause a detonation. Otherwise, it just burns fast. Later explosives combust fast enough that they don't require the container/confinement.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Flour is dangerous if

Flour is dangerous if mishandled.

Maybe Garia is just being

Maybe Garia is just being cautious about revealing too much. They haven't been in here long and much has changed, maybe Garia is concerned that walls have ears.

I am concerned about the higher beings orchestrating these events and their overall goal. We all know most of the quickest technological advancements are made during wars.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Black Powder

Ah, are you certain of your ratios there? I think you have your charcoal and saltpetre reversed. Most explosive black powders have a much higher ratio of saltpeter to the fuel (charcoal) and the binding agent (sulfur). There were also very small amounts of other materials added in some cases and the granulation and amount of perforation of those granules also affected the rate of combustion.

Charcoal / saltpetre / sulfur / other %
French War powder 13.6 / 75.6 / 10.8 (1600 AD)
English War powder 22.2 / 66.6 / 11.0 / 0.2 (1200-1300 AD)
US military powder 14.0 / 76.0 / 10.0 (1800 AD)

Further the ratios used were mixed by weight of the materials and not by their volume.

Most black powders left behind a residue of nearly 50% of total charge weight which required extremely frequent cleaning thus preventing more than a few dozen well placed shots before cleaning. The Sulfur also left behind acidic materials which could damage a weapon’s barrel and firing chamber if left uncleaned for more than a few hours. Repeated use with long periods between cleaning could cause sufficient damage to weaken a barrel or firing chamber.

As to the Cannon, The ratios again change (slightly) for use in cannon and the granulation is much more coarse. The finest granulation was for flash-pan use, the next for pistol powder, then on down through muskets (not rifles which came into play later on and which would be utterly devastating in this scenerio) then to shotguns and then cannon.

Use of flash-pan powder or pistol powder in a cannon could easily result in a detonation which would take out the entire gunnery crew along with the weapon. That could be what happened to the weapon which exploded. The wrong powder was used and it burned too quickly for the weapon in which it was used creating too high a chamber pressure thus -- oops -- explosive device takes out operating crew.

Anesidora

Am I certain? Apparently not

Am I certain? Apparently not - but it's been 25 years since I made my own black powder. (heck, I _made_ the charcoal myself from oak)

Knowing the three materials would be the key - the ratio can be figured out.

You're right about blowing barrels. Corning the powder the right way is critical. Larger grains for larger charges (slower burn), smaller grains for fast burn, serpentine for fuses.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I only know the proportions

Brooke Erickson's picture

I only know the proportions thanks to reading "Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen". And I can never remember which percentage is which. I *did* manage to memorize SCS so I know that the 15 is charcoal. So it'd only take two test batches to determine whether saltpeter is the 75 or the 10.

I also know how to extract saltpeter from manure. Messy, stinky process. I especially love the bit in the instructions (translated from a medieval/renaisance book) where it says to keep pouring in water (to leach out the saltpeter) until the water coming out the bottom no longer tastes bitter to your apprentice.

Making corned powder is "simple", but dangerous.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Or the Farmer way. :)

When we ran short of blasting powder, they would use ...

Gwen

Thanks Penny

I look forward to each and every episode. And thanks too for letting us know that we can expect the next eisode about mid-April. I must say that I expect a military engagement in it as Yod tries to capture Garia before she reaches Palarand. May you have a safe and as pleasant as possible your trip across the pond!

SEE...

Yeah! You've made my Sunday Penny!!

Apreciate That There Isn't a Big Cliff Hanger

There's plenty of foreboding regarding the likely abduction attempt/attack on Garia and what the issues are in Palarand, but it will be easier to wait until April for the next episode with no immediate danger to Garia and Keren.

I hope your trip to America goes well. Take care.

glad

always glad to see a new chapter of see. I am looking forward to the next one even though its going to be a while. have a safe trip to the u s. hope no late weather. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

The Plot Thickens

Circles with in circles, faints, strikes. I would be worried about a lightning war with guns being on the cutting edge. Uncle Gil may be the main target which would cut the kingdom off of there resources and remember the rainy seasons restriction on travel can effect both sides.

Take ground seizing key choke points, then lunge with over whelming force to your next objective. Hold that until travel along the river allows you to strike deeper at your enemy. I think that Yod may have some information about how WW2 was fought. And I am thinking that time is not on the Kings side.

Thanks Penny for the episode before your needed to take care of your concerns, you are so kind to your readers.

Huggles

Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

And this is set up nicely ......

.... it is a shame that there will be a long delay at this delicate stage, but RL definitely takes precedence.

My mind is racing with the possibilities.

Why are Yod quiescent in Joth? I guess they will try a breakout at some stage.

What could be the more personal stuff for Keren / Garia in Palarand City?

Could Fikt have suborned an entire ferry crew?

We know the Sirrel ferries are larger than those to Teldor, but I guess the procedure would be the same, so the weak time is the division of Garia and her forces. I wonder if it's worth leaving her retinue in Dekarran and just zooming across with the military lot? Without wagons and retinue, and all mounted on frayen, I THINK they might be able to make it from South Slip to PC in one fell swoop, which may not be a bad thing.

Or maybe use the East Ferry, and go the long way round. Fikt won't be expecting THAT.

Ho hum, my nails will be chewed down to the quicks by the time we get the answers.

Thanks again, Oh Mistress of Anmar.

Julia.

WWII island-hopping

My guess is that Yod is using Gen MacArthur's and Adm Nimitz's island-hopping method of advancing. In this case, it would actually work well if Yod has a large enough fleet of riverboats for providing transportation on the Sirril. In this case, they have taken Joth and isolated Forgulend which they can take later. They build up a logistics base in Joth and then hop to their next objective bypassing another enemy strongpoint and in turn isolating it. Their only real vulnerable period is during the rainy season when the Sirril becomes impassible for any of the riverboats presently in service.

Not only does Palarand need to develop firearms for their own forces but REALLY need to build steam-powered riverboats. With steam-powered riverboats they will even be able to navigate the Sirril during the rainy season.

Thanks and Wishing You a Safe Journey, There & Back Again !

Thank you so much, Penny, for releasing this latest episode of your fantastic Epic, as promised. I do hope the Jet Stream gets back into its normal flow in THIS world, and your flight to Boston will be safe and your stay there will not be too cold. I hope you will enjoy New York too. It is totally different from the rest of America in my experience, having pretty well everything from every part of this world somewhere in it, and it is a more open and tolerant place than most cities over there. I was once mugged in New York by a huge black man waving a knife, but when he understood that I had only 5 $ on me and was actually going to a bank to try and draw some, and that he had scared me enormously, he became very kind and took me to a coffee bar to apologise! He gave me 2 of my dollars back and I thanked him, it seemed the thing to do at the time. :) Well, he WAS kind about it, and said he was sorry it was nothing personal and he liked my English accent. I am told the city is much safer now than since back then.

April is a long way off, but for something as good as another episode of Somewhere Else Entirely I am sure we will all be happy to wait.

BTW, see to it you have a good health insurance cover for both of you, for your stay in the USA, as you have to pay for everything medical over there and whilst they have excellent standards of care for those that can pay, for those that cannot the care is even worse than under the UK NHS. The doctors etc are totally merciless about this - they are working for money, if you can pay you can have it if you can't that is just tough.

Have a good trip and come home safe and happy, and bless you both.

Briar

Well ...

Gun powder/black powder, whatever ... Once the genie has escaped the bottle it can never be put back. In truth though metallurgy and reliable gun metal manufacture is every bit as important as the making and mixing of the powder propellants. From muskets to cannons is a very short step, in fact, I'm not certain that field artillery didn't predate hand-held weapons.

Interesting times ahead for Garia, and dangerous ones.

Enjoy the States Penny, I'm over there most summers and despite what you hear, their cities aren't half as dangerous as others around the planet. Hugs and look after yourself. get well soon.

Another excellent chapter.

Bevs.

x

bev_1.jpg

Hand cannons came first,

Hand cannons came first, because they were easier to make. That said, artillery and man portable weapons sort of went hand in hand. Cannons were more reliable sooner, that's the main thing. When you are casting the barrel out of solid bronze (or anything solid), it's more likely to withstand the force of the propellant. For an example of how small cannon can get, look up 'coehorn mortar'.

Yod is likely to get themselves in real trouble if they attack just about anyone. Firearms aren't likely to be more than a terror weapon to start, and once the smoke starts forming, someone on foot can dodge forward and kill the 'gonners'. It's doubtful they have cannon big enough to affect a fortification, and by the time they do, rifles will appear that are good enough at distance to kill off anyone trying to shoot a cannon. (Bronze casting is an art form, and milling/boring steel or iron cannons is even more of an art form and requires extra equipment and techniques)

If I were Garia, I'd concentrate on flintlocks. Yes, they have clockwork/springs, but they are relatively simple ones, lend themselves well to assembly line/mass production techniques, and then can be converted to a caplock once someone works out how to make fulminate of mercury without killing themselves.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

The Waiting Is the Hardest Part

terrynaut's picture

It was nice to see Snep again. He's a good frayen, he is.

The developments upriver are interesting. It's a good if difficult strategy to move forces and attack in winter. It can catch an opponent off guard. I mean who would be crazy enough to attack in the winter? Yod!

It looks like the story is progressing well towards an ending. I look forward to see how everything plays out.

The only thing I don't like it having to wait so long for the next chapter. I think I can make it though. Please take good care of yourself in the meantime.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Mix and Match Comments

terrynaut's picture

My comment above was meant for chapter 98. It was correctly placed before the Great Chapter Switch. Heh.

I love the romance in this chapter (99!). Young love is so sweet. And Uncle Gil is a sweetie too.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

When Mixing Gunpowder

joannebarbarella's picture

Make sure you grind each component separately first. DO NOT GRIND THEM TOGETHER. When you mix them add a little urine to make the end-result doughy,

Joanne

Grind separately, mix wet,

Grind separately, mix wet, allow to dry, then grind the dried mix. That makes serpentine powder.

If you take the thick mix and extrude it through a plate (small holes), you are performing 'corning' and creating grains. You scrape the grains off with a knife.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

As always I

look forward to the new installments. I often wish that the new installments would come in quicker but then anticipation is a good thing too lol!

I wonder if these people are moving ahead too quickly? Of course there is little choice in the matter since greater beings are involved it seems.

Vivien

Interesting...

So Garia's new maids are getting a taste of the big wide world - and the luxuriousness of Palace life. Of course, they're living in exciting times - seeing Nobles routinely act and behave in ways no Noble has ever done before; not to mention being at the forefront of an industrial and technological revolution.

Meanwhile, Yod are definitely on the move downstream, so once back at the Palace, Garia will only have the rainy season to make preparations for Yod's arrival. One thing that doesn't help is there's still uncertainty over the size, strength or capabilities of Yod, so they don't even know what they'll be up against when Yod eventually appear on the scene.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Pace pace pace grumpy old

Pace pace pace

grumpy old fart waiting for more please

very good read

I'm still confused...

It might just be deja vu, but the first few paragraphs here are familiar... It seems like I've already read this chapter as well. (?)

Yes, confusing ..... at first

Hi Lora,

as it says in the introduction to #98, what had been #98 has been split into two. Most of the travel (with a few tiny embellishments) has now been confined to #98.

The guns bit, and the technical stuff, and the formal ceding of lands and so on has been made into #99 and expanded with the description of the Banquet and Ball.

So what was only #98 has now been made into #98 AND #99.

I hope that clears it up for you, now.

Julia.

Chapter confusion

Yep. I had to do it the way I did because most of the comments to the original #98 were about the gunpowder and suchlike, and they would have made no sense if I had just edited #98 and made a new #99.

So I renumbered #98 to #99 and saved it, then posted a new #98 with the truncated journey details. After that I overwrote the #99 text with the next day's happenings.

Of course, now #98 is a new posting as far as BCTS is concerned so that went on the front page. Bleh.

My brain hurts!

I hope this clears things up. For someone, at least.

Penny

She did some

She did some editing/rewriting, and moved some paragraphs from 98 to 99 for a better flow.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

nicely done

nicely done, ms Phillips. enjoyed rereading chapter 98 and chapter 99 was a better read. looking forward to more. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

I Agree

The reworked Ch98 and the mostly new Ch99 are an improved read. Glad you are back Penny.

Welcome back!

It's great to see SEE back on the menu! The revision made it even better. Now, on to weapons research, development and production!

Best,

DJ

wouldn't it be easier to just

wouldn't it be easier to just make dynamite and attach it to arrows for a quick armament upgrade until guns could be properly made, then they wouldn't have to worry about the barrels being properly made and the exact make up of the powder would be a little more forgiving as far as building up to much pressure and blowing a gun apart would go.

Someone's been watching Dukes

Someone's been watching Dukes of Hazard too much.

1) You can't shoot anything heavy strapped to an arrow. Arrows have to spin (rotate) to maintain direction, and if they're too off balance, they won't spin. Thin cord, yes (it will spin), dynamite, no.

2) Dynamite.. No, no. TNT and Dynamite have the same problems as fulminate of mercury. Manufacturing is dangerous, and they really need as many people alive as possible that can do that kind of work. Gunpowder is bad enough, and it's pretty safe as long as you don't work with enormous quantities for experimentation. 'High explosives' are a whole new ball game.

Now, they could make grenades and mortars easier than guns, yes, but they're both designed for tossing into groups of people (or munitions dumps).


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Dynamite.....

D. Eden's picture

Or Tri Nitro Toluene (TNT) is really just nitroglycerine embedded in Fuller's Earth. Fuller's Earth is essentially a mixture of dirt and sand creating an evenly porous substance which can absorb the nitro and be molded.

This is a major step from black powder, which is basically a mixture of charcoal, sulphur, and potassium. The ingredients are simple, but as Garia mentioned, getting the percentages right, getting the consistency even, and mixing them properly is the issue.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

As I had pointed out to me a

As I had pointed out to me a while back, they aren't the same. TNT is trinitrotoluene, a solid material (originally used for a dye). Dynamite is no longer used, and was diatomaceous earth and nitroglycerine. My mother told stories about my grandfather snapping the sweating drops of nitroglycerine off of his hand onto the ground when helping neighbours blow stumps.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Gunpowder God

The late and under-appreciated author H Beam Piper had a neat story about black powder.

Piper

The series by H.Beam Piper were excellent, in fact all of Piper's works were great. The Little Fuzzy stories were my fav. Even the attempt to continue the Little Fuzzy series was good.

OTOH, the attempt at continuing the Gunpowder Gods series was far out of character for the story and failed miserably.

Win some, lose some.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

It is so nice

...to find another fan!

Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen

has long been one of my favorites. Wore the cover right off the first copy I had! H. Beam Piper and other of the Golden Age classics are firm parts of my library. And it is nice to find other fans.

Others have tried the same formula, but none is a quite as good as the Masters.
Hugs
Grover

Eric Flint got Baen books to

Eric Flint got Baen books to republish a number of the 'Golden Age' authors, including the TnT & Telzy (Telzy Amberdon) books/stories.

I remember reading Fuzzy when I was 12? 13?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Trigger and Telzey

Got all the T'n'T books from Baen ages ago. Started when some of them were in the Baen Free Library.

As for H. Beam Piper, I just haven't time to begin reading all those!

For a change, I'm halfway through The Count of Monte Cristo. Forgotten how much of a laugh it was.

Penny

The Special Couple

I long to see them together, but also know that for sure in primitive times, marriages made and broke kingdoms, settled and started wars.

It may take them a while to realize it, but they are already at war with Zod. Perhaps there will come a time when the one that the Zodians are using can be freed? What if Garia and this individual know each other?

Thank you again for a lovely episode.

Much Peace

Gwendolyn

I'm just wondering,

if the individual seemingly held captive/hostage/indentured by Yod suffered the same change processes as Garia. His apparent knowledge of black-powder and other explosives might point to him having been a boy on Earth and a girl on Paraland. I'm sure all witll be revealed.

Clever changes there Penny betwixt chapters 98 and 99.

Looking forward to things settling down now.

Thanks.

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

Settling down?

Not a chance! The fun and games will come thick and fast now.

Nice pins!

Penny

But I was expecting more! *pout*

Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an anmar-shattering kaboom!

^_^

I would think Garia will be able to give the guilds or questors a head start by using the basic formula for gunpowder.

They can experiment from there.

Here's an 8 part series to

Here's an 8 part series to watch on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9oDBXLjQcE

It's The Gunpowder Plot - Exploding the Legend

They have some _really good_ information on gunpowder, and some rather fantastic tests. First they blew just one barrel of gunpowder (all they could scrounge from England), and then a ton of 16th century gunpowder, specially made in Spain.

The specially made stuff was detonated in a reproduction House of Lords - including the 7 foot thick walls in the undercroft.

Watch it. You'll then realize that "low explosive" doesn't mean "weak".

It's just easier to deal with TNT and plastic explosives, and they're more compact.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

True enough

The only drawback is that TNT has a more complex chemical manufacturing process, starting off with toluene. I was amazed that it was used as a yellow dye at one time.

Toluene can apparently be made from coke oven gas (which thanks to Garia will be available soon.)

The more modern method of Toluene manufacture would not be suitable for Palarand's present technological state.

At her age, she probably

At her age, she probably doesn't know much about any high explosive, other than the nitric/sulphuric acid process for creating guncotton. (that would be on history channel type stuff because it was a major change from gunpowder)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Probably not

But by the age of 10 or 11 I had already had a basic grounding in the structure of atoms, nuclear reactions in stars, the periodic table, radioactivity, isotopes, electronics, batteries, photography. And being trans. Transvestite only unfortunately as back in the early 70s there was little material on being TS. All this from libraries and encyclopedias.

Point is it depends on where curiosity goes. That said, Garia has already portrayed herself as not necessarily being nerdish.

Gunpowder

Nope, Garia's not going to let the locals have gunpowder, at least not yet.

Dekarran isn't the right place to carry out the kind of testing that will be necessary. It will take a quiet meeting of select top-level guildsmen and questors in the capital to work out a plan (a committee, I know) and so nothing much will actually happen before Spring.

Besides, I would expect the local guildsmen and questors to have their own, more local concerns. Like, "You can do what with such a boat? And what happened to the masts?" and "A railroad can deliver how much goods to Dekarran? Maker! Excuse me, did you just say daily? I thought you meant yearly!"

Penny

You have two options for the

You have two options for the testing. 1) Near the capital, so you have access to _lots_ of water in case of problems. 2) In the mountains (or at least the side walls of the valley), so that when one of your experiments blows up, you don't get much attention, and the worst you end up with is more rubble for building another bunker.

Keep in mind - as long as the powder is _not_ confined, it is _not_ an explosive hazard. That means a well ventilated building for development/testing, and a good set of bunkers for when you make an explosive casing. (Look at M-80's. They're just big firecrackers. They are wrapped in waxed paper and plugged at the end with more wax/epoxy, but can be considered a big chunk of a stick of dynamite) Wax the fuse too, and you have something you can carry, and light even if it gets somewhat damp. Breaching charges.

If I were Garia, I'd be putting some effort into making matches. (Lucifers - sulphur and phosphorous)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

The Gunpowder Boat has already sailed

Yod has already opened that door. Black powder is such a natural thing for the Questors to experiment with, now that they will know of it and the mixture. So the cat is out of the bag, the boat has sailed, etc. Half the battle of research is already knowing something will work, from there it's just fine-tuning the finished product for what you want to do.

One of the tricks the Allies pulled on Germany was making devices that looked as if they should do something, blowing them up (carefully!) and planting the pieces for the Germans to find. Then they had a good laugh as the Germans wasted time and manpower trying to reverse-engineer their finds. A trick I hope Garcia knows about. She could tie up a large number of Yod's questors trying to figure things out, as well as giving Yod's captive a respite from having to actually make something useful.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Hah. She wouldn't even have

Hah. She wouldn't even have to go that far. Just dump a defective boiler and _half_ the parts needed for a steam engine and watch the explosions. If you don't have a good explanation (like Garia is giving) or a similar background (such as the Germans and Allied forces had), you won't do well rebuilding even a formerly functional device.is

Look at Charles Babbage's Difference Engine. It turns out his design plans had subtle flaws, which were only obvious to someone who knew exactly how it was supposed to work. (There's an article about it on the British museum site where it's exhibited). The surmise was that he was absolutely paranoid about people stealing his designs, so he had certain gears and cogs too large, too small, or with too many/few teeth.

If you were building it by rote, it'd never work.

Yod doesn't have the background. What Garia has been doing under Penny's tutelage, is giving the grounding of information necessary for an explosion of concepts and devices. Yod, on the other hand, is just getting exactly what they ask for, without the actual _background_ behind those answers. So, Yod might have better weapons faster, but that's all they'll have. They won't have the increased steel production that Palarand is getting - even without having full furnaces, railroads, and containerized barges. Which is more valuable in terms of warfare? A few etter weapons, or a better army and supply line? A way to strike quickly and take over certain cities, or a way to get information transmitted around your armies? Yod is extending themselves across hostile territory in the hopes to getting _something_. The problem with that is that you have to supply your troops, and you have to send and receive information between your headquarters and troops. The US did it in Europe by giving the local commanders enormous autonomy, but previous military leaders (such as Napoleon) tried to run the entire war themselves - even though they weren't anywhere close to the fighting.

Even going all out, without modern rifling benches, lathes, and rolling mills, it would probably take a blacksmith the better part of a week to produce _one_ shotgun/'hand gonne'. That means that even if all Yod's blacksmiths were going all-out to do nothing but produce guns, there wouldn't be enough to make a difference in a field battle. Oh - and half of those will be the 'bad' design that kills the holder after a few shots.

It's a false sense of superiority.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Rifling

Some sneaky ideas occurred to me on the subject of rifling. Make a rifled barrel with no twists to the rifling. Don't see that being of much use for accuracy. Or say you make a rifled barrel with five grooves, but make two adjacent grooves deeper than the others. Or do a barrel with both RH and LH twists. Oh, there are all sorts of stunts that can be pulled, given that Yod doesn't have the knowledge to know what will work and what won't.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

I think I may have mentioned

I think I may have mentioned it before, but there is/was a wire welding technique used for shotgun barrels at the turn of the 20th century. You used a mandrel (central post), and welded two wires together, wrapping them around the barrel. The effect was of a Damascus pattern. (I've cleaned one up before, for a customer to use as an 'over the mantel' decoration. Double barrel, double trigger shotgun.) Once you finished, you had a straight barrel that just needed to be 'cored' and polished, rather than a full boring.

If you did the same thing, but hammered it around the mandrel, you ended up with a spiral weld, which created a rifling - by accident. So bullets fired from it worked better. Then someone figured out why :)

Keep in mind that the biggest change in rifling wasn't the barrel. It was changing from a round bullet that you had to hammer into the rifling to a elongated shape with a concave rear end. The concave end expanded into the rifling, but you could shove the bullet into the barrel _really_ fast. They use that exact kind of bullet nowadays for black powder guns - with a plastic base instead of/in addition to a wad.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

kuddo,s

as i like this story VERRY mutch and i forgotten to ad kuddo,s i went back to page 1 and added kuddo,s to every single page of this verry nice story

thank you for shaing it with us

erik je

King

I am really looking to find out what the king and queens reaction will be and am glad uncle Gil is supportive.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Best place to get Garia

Jamie Lee's picture

Throughout this chapter it felt like the other shoe was about to drop, but thankfully it didn't. Yet.

If Fikt was setting up something then it would be while crossing the Sirrel. If Yod has learned how black powder can explode in a confined space, then setting a keg on a ferry wouldn't be a problem. Lighting the fuse going into that keg would be the only problem, unless Fikt was able to convince some sucker he would be safe from the explosion

Or, he could try and slip his men on a ferry and take the ferry out to sea or up the river.

Whatever is planned, Garia and company better keep their heads on a swivel for trouble.

The Rule, always the Rule. But rules have already been broken with Garia and other ladies riding frayens and Garia carrying swords. Garia has also broken through the glass ceiling of the guild, another Rule broken.

Robanar and Treys are going to see two different people when Keren and Garia return to the palace--if they make it safely. As Treys saw two starry eyed young people before, she will see two very mature people returning. And the Rule be damned.

Others have feelings too.