Julina of Blackstone - 018 - Making The Grade

Printer-friendly version

Julina's day started out relatively unencumbered – started out, you will have noticed

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

018 – Making The Grade


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
018 – Making The Grade

I awoke after a good and solid night's sleep and I felt lighter in both body and head somehow. The last day of my Calls was always a relief, but this one was somehow extra nice as it began.

Despite the absence of Suril and Haka, the three of us still found it was possible to use the lessons learnt to find the most efficient way to stir up both the embers and also the household. Getting the bath hot enough to enjoy was always the time-taker. I felt a sort of tingling in my head as I thought that last thought, and I was distracted for a heartbeat or two. There was an idea coming, but I knew myself well enough not to try to force it out. It might take a few days, or even a week or two, but I knew it would eventually pop out when it decided it was ready. Or, as had sometimes happened, I would forget entirely about it!

The floors were quite chilly underfoot, again, so I stopped putting it off and went straight to the appropriate store cabinet and rummaged in there before retrieving the 'winter slippers' I had stashed away for the summer. This was a little awkward for Swayga of course, not having hers in the pile I produced, but she was fully understanding. This simple action was, however, of some significance in our household and so I started a fresh topic of discussion with her, intent on finding out her views on the subject.

In one way, I always looked forward to the winter, which may seem strange as it was the time of year when sudden stormy gusts found any and every little crack in our walls and window frames, not to mention the door frames! It is the time of year when we could spend days on end in clouds, which we called either mist or fog, depending upon how thick it was. The longest misty period I could recall was a day or two over three weeks long. In winter, too, we could get sudden rainstorms and there were always a few days of snow, sometimes three of four times over the entire season.

But the thing I liked about it was a change in our routines.

Ancient practices, by generation after generation, tell us that we humans don't actually prefer to sleep for six or seven bells at a time; we naturally slip into a rhythm in which we have two sleep periods, the first of three or four bells duration, then a gap of two or three bells, and then a second sleep of two or three, maybe even four, bells.

Our modern development of 'sleeping right through' is designed to not waste too many of the daylight moments in the summer months, in the growing period for crops and fruits and so on – and it never feels right to go to bed when it is still light outside, unless you are a child, of course; but in our winter months, when we can have up to twelve bells of darkness and as little as eight of light, we all basically revert to the normal, traditional sleep pattern. We go to bed a couple of bells after dusk, have the 'Big Sleep' until after the Midnight Bell, then rouse ourselves and do things for a period. After this we have the 'Little Sleep' and get up to start the day at Dawn, or just before – to make the absolute most of daylight. Of course, that makes an after-lunch nap not required – indeed, that after-lunch nap is to be avoided, otherwise you are just wasting some of the scarce daylight.

As from this approaching winter, I would be using those bells between sleeps to write my notes (and these chronicles), to plan my lessons and to prepare for the day. (I always have the feeling that I do my best work in those shortish periods of wakefulness.) One of the chores I always did in this wakeful period, every winter since Mama departed, was to refuel the range to get it to top temperature whilst we slept the second sleep. I would then place a multitude of buckets filled with water on the top. This made heating the water for the bathhouse a lot quicker once we all awoke from that Little Sleep.

A further advantage I had found was that the younger ones were somehow a little calmer, more mellow if you like, when in the 'two sleep' phase. Mind you, I could never be sure whether it was the sleeping pattern or the season itself that calmed them down just that little, but noticeable amount.

But the morning I am currently describing was one upon which we had yet to revert from 'sleep right through'. This change appeared to be delayed more and more each year, it seemed to me, despite my instincts telling me that the 'two sleep' approach was the more natural.

Bath and breakfast on this day, the sixth of my 'freedom', followed our awakenings at half a bell before the Dawn Bell, the children being a bit upset that we had no guests here for a change. It was strange how just two days of guests had made that seem the norm, as opposed to the years we had had without guests. Very strange indeed.

I was in a good mood that morning, but was still a bit hurt when I saw the glee on the faces when I cancelled the lettering lesson for the morning. Swayga was considerate enough not to smile, but I was getting to know her sufficiently well that I could see her laughing behind her straight face. Part of me wanted to grin too, but we looked at each other, both knowing the truth we kept hidden. It was actually, looking back at it, another bonding moment.

The children saw the winter slippers I had put out, and each child, individually, asked Swayga if we were switching over to 'two sleeps' that day. She replied that we were indeed going to do that. For the umpteenth time, I marvelled at the resilience and trusting nature of children, which itself fosters the determination not to let them down - in most normal people. I could never understand how some parents could just not 'get' that.

I wasted no time preparing myself as soon as possible after breakfast, knowing my morning at least was going to be hectic. I left the table, went to the bathhouse again where I cleaned myself up, certain that I would not have much opportunity once I left. I came out with a little bit of time to spare, so I helped Swayga do some clearing up and preparations, but then needed to cut it short, being as how I had to be at M's at an agreed time, arranged to be as early as possible – but not TOO early to wake them up! I stood up from where I had been rummaging in the floor-standing cabinets, twitched my dress back into place, and left with a wave as soon as I heard the third quarter after the Dawn Bell.

I fast walked down the slope, angling slightly off the track to come directly to the back of M's. I started to think that I would soon wear a path into the surface, but then remembered that we were going to move home before that could happen.

Going that way meant that my attention wasn't all on our new house and I had a better look around as I progressed. I suddenly saw something that I hadn't actually noticed before and I sort of chastised myself for not seeing that development coming. It made me stop and study the area more closely.

It had suddenly become obvious to me that they were building another road, one that ran parallel to the Main Street, but which was to the East, and therefore slightly higher up the slope. I could now see the markers all the way down from the camping place to behind the Stonemason's whose sprawling building was the second largest (after the Claw) and was the first major building on the right as you came into town. This new road would pass between the Claw and the Paddock, so would also be directly between our new house and the Messenger Office. It seemed to angle back to the Main Street as soon as it had gone down to just past the Stonemason's, but from where I was I couldn't see that bit.

I also saw that the groundwork for Suril's new house had already been done, the plot was flattened and water channels were being dug as I watched. Such a speed of progress! The flattening team was now busy upslope, preparing the roadway, heading up towards the back of M's.

As I thought about it more, it was obvious that the flattening team had just been diverted, pulled off the roadway and done the building site which was five or so strides distant, and it wouldn't have taken more than probably half a bell to do the groundwork for the new home. I could see where they had come through the passage between the Watchhouse and the Steward's House. The new roadway was being properly started from that point and was heading up towards the campingplace.

And then I saw a SECOND flattening team – one had appeared down at the bottom of the town, obviously having been working out of my sight behind the Stonemason's. I was tempted to go down there for a closer inspection, however, I remembered that there were others probably waiting for me, so I tore myself away from satisfying my curiosity.

… … ...

“Good morrow, Julina”

“Good morrow Kassama, Master Morden, Master Michen.” I looked around for the others.

“Suril and Haka have departed to their hut. We just needs fetch Dralla, bring her back here to attach the dray and then we can get over there. Suril has described to me exactly where to go and they are but five moments gone, so we can go whenever you feel ready. Mayhap you require the facilities before we get busy?”

“I thank you for your consideration, but it is unrequired at the moment. Shall we therefore get busy?”

He agreed, we took our leave of the others, and passed out the front door. He knew that we had to go to the Claw, but no more than that, so I went with him to show him first where the animal was kept and so on. I had told M to take some tidbits to feed Dralla. I had also placed some in my pouch.

As we went down the slope, I warned M that there was likely to be a deluge of animals demanding nibbles. And so it proved. As soon as Dralla (naturally I made him feed his own animal first) was given a munchie, then Trumpa demanded one. Then Tixi, much to the surprise of both Parry and Sookie. They explained that Tixi was very wary of men and far more accepting of women. M and I shared a smile at that. I suggested that maybe Tixi was mellowing, and they accepted that as an explanation.

M was impressed with the attitude of all the animals he met there and very much approved of the set-up and stabling facilities: “This is better than any military stables I have ever seen!”

We then explained to Parry and Sookie what we were going to do, but were interrupted as Pomma came scurrying in. Sookie, Pomma and I were now on an informal name footing and the 'Mistress' bit had been dropped.

“Oh Sookie, Julina, Parry …. oh! Well met, Master Michen!”

“Well met, Mistress Pomma.”

We all turned to her as her excitement was bubbling over. It occurred to me what she was about to say, but I kept my peace, this was after all HER moment, not mine.

“I have a frayen! I actually have a frayen! And my saddle will be finished today! I can ride! I can ride! I can ride!”

“Well goodness me! How did this all occur?”

“Sookie, it's a fantastic story. The new shoemaker, Master Wainer, purchased Mistress Sandara's two frayen just before she left – and there is a big story THERE too, I can tell you!” Sookie and I grinned at each other. “He was generous enough to repay our hospitality by giving us one of the beasts! He decided to keep the buck, Kenlin, for himself, but gave me the doe, Wiget. Mistress Patilla tells me that Julina's and my riding attire will be delivered later this morning – I told her to deliver them both, yours and mine, to me, if it pleases you, Julina. I know you seem to be always moving around during these days!”

Sookie was delighted at last to have someone to go riding with and her eyes also shone with excitement. She turned to Parry.

“We have space here do we not, Parry? I feel that Wiget should get to know the other animals with whom she will be mingling, say for 3 or 4 nights to start with – well, a minimum of 2.”

“Yes, Mistress. We have more than a hand of empty stalls here in the 'residents' end for the next week, saving unexpected arrivals, of course.”

“Then why don't you bring Wiget down here as soon as you may, Pomma?”

“Mistresses, may I interject?”

We all turned to M as he politely waited permission to explain. It was Sookie who told him to go ahead.

“I happen to know that Master Waldan also has a beast, a buck named Boxin. If it is a good idea for Wiget to be stabled here to get to know some animals with whom she shall go on trips, then surely she should also be stabled with Boxin to get to know him, the two are after all most likely to be together for longer periods than with the animals here? How can the one beast be in two places at once?”

“You are correct, Master Michen. I had not considered that. Let me think.” Sookie pondered for a little while and then asked Pomma: “Can Master Waldan be persuaded to let Boxin also come here for those few nights?”

“I'm sure that can be arranged, Sookie.”

“So be it! Problem solved. Thank you for your input, Master Michen.” We all trilled our thanks as well.

“You are much welcome, Mistresses.”

“I shall bring the beasts here at this time tomorrow, then Sookie. I may persuade the old grump to let me do it this afternoon, but definitely by tomorrow morning.” She smiled brightly at us all as she gaily waved her goodbyes before skipping off, her excitement taking years off her apparent age.

It was time for M and I to get on with our task and Parry went to let Dralla out. He reappeared after a heartbeat or three, having put a harness and a leading rein on Dralla.

“You shouldn't really need the rein since Dralla is extremely well behaved, but with the traffic on Main Street nowadays, it might prove useful to help in an emergency. Remember that frayen try to help you when they can. Especially when you are riding them - they do a lot of work to make sure you stay on their back. In return, they expect YOUR trust too.”

With those words ringing in our ears, we led Dralla up the back track for the six or so buildings to M's. I pointed out the new road being built there and we saw various link roads being made and/or strengthened which would obviously connect the Main Street with this new road. M explained that someone had actually called on them yesterday evening to say that the alley between his home and the one to the south would be strengthened, but he and his father assumed it was because of the deliveries that would be required for the Salon – no-one had mentioned the new road to the east.

We reached the back of M's, threading our way through the levellers there much to their disgust.

Only to see a THIRD flattening team working in the alley.

It looked to us that they were going to do this preparing/strengthening just about every third alley between houses on the Main Street. M's home had a wagon entrance on the south side, albeit with a very tight turn at the entrance, but we could not access it due to the workers there, so we carried right round the house and entered the courtyard from the north, through a gate that was only just wide enough for Dralla and someone walking next to her. We finally made it to the inner yard where we attached the dray and then headed out once more through that north gate.

This time we turned left and used that rough passage to get to Main Street. We had to use Main Street as the workers were scurrying about where that new road was going to replace the rough track behind the main buildings, and we had already disturbed them once. This was as well as the workers busy to the south of the home.

Our destination was, of course, the head of the Bray Valley along beyond the current furthest extent of the new Loop Road, but there would be more roadworkers there, M explained, so we would approach their hut from below.

We had to wait to get out the side passage for more than two whole moments, and this brought home to us just how strained the Main Street was to handle everything, and why they were building that new road to the east. There was the normal traffic of the everyday business of our town, as had been going on for years; on top of that was all the coal traffic, and now also the construction crews and the materials that they required, going in both directions it seemed. And then there was an increased incidence of supply wagons as all the tradesmen expanded their stocks, and brought in more raw materials to work with.

It made me wonder just where all the money was coming from. Obviously the tradesmen and the Guildsmen were gambling a little with their savings, but the sheer volume of works that were going on in the town had to be paid for somehow.

M told me as we walked beside Dralla that the Baker had twice now run out of supplies and that the shuttle was the thing that enabled him to keep up with demand. He had now employed three more women and would have to find another one or two if the trend continued.

We managed to traverse the crowded campingplace – I waved to Rathina as we passed – and headed along the new road towards the third quarry. I was amazed to see in the distance that another fifty or so strides of road had been laid, right up the far end beyond the turning circle, the curve there now becoming obvious as was the dip in level as the road started to descend. I saw also that the sidewalk had been extended almost as far as the main quarry, well beyond the townsfolk's quarry.

I was surprised when we turned off at the first ramp that led down through the three levels of the Miners' Village, both of us marvelling at the fact that there were already a hand of apparently nearly completed huts and a further hand or two of huts under construction. The almost completed ones had empty spaces where the windows would be, and also most had a large section of wall not yet fixed. M explained that this made a good gap for the ranges and fireplaces to be brought in.

Passing over the lowest segment of this ... this ... this … growth I suppose is the best word to describe that area, we reached the end of the ramp and the way immediately got far less smooth as we turned towards the source of the river. Half a mark or so further on, maybe a little less, we came across Suril and Haka. She was soothing the baby who was upset at something, and Suril appeared to be making two piles of belongings.

“Good morrow, Julina!”

“Good morrow Suril, and to you two, Haka and Haris. Come - explain and then put us to work.”

And so my morning's labours began.

Suril was apparently tireless as he dashed hither and thither. The hut was indeed small, and I hoped that I kept the shock I felt at seeing its dilapidated state from my face. I could see that the leaking roof had ruined the two walls that joined just below it. This hut was on the verge of collapse.

Suril interrupted my thoughts as he explained that the larger pile was of stuff that they no longer wished to keep, and the smaller pile was stuff they felt they could not do without.

M and I estimated that we would need two trips with the dray to transport the 'keep' things. I suggested that we got someone along to see if any of the 'discard' pile would be of use to anyone – even if only for fuel to burn in, for example, the smith's furnaces.

The baby was being a handful that morning and we soon dispatched Haka and Haris back to M's, leaving the three of us to do the work at this end. It didn't take long to load the first dray, and M and I began the return journey to their new place of residence. Suril stayed behind to ensure that the rest was still going to be there when we returned for the last load. He also knew that he could help his neighbours by letting them have some of his discarded stuff.

There was nothing heavy on the dray and so M kindly allowed me to stop with Rathina as we passed through the camping place, saying he would collect me once more on his way back. Thus I managed to fit in some time with my friend from the Blackstone Vale.

I told her about the setting up of the school and how we would arrange the basic training and so on. And then we discussed the difficulties of her children attending, living as they did so far away. As we tossed various schemes and plans around something occurred to me. I went on to expand that thought. I mentioned that, actually, all that was required was just one to come down and stay somewhere safe and learn the basics, then that one could return and bring the rest up to the standard. She was taken aback by that, but slowly grinned as she thought it through. She promised to let me know what she decided.

Our discussions changed to the changes in town, and the additional bodies and so on – we walked about as I pointed various things out and thus I nearly missed M who was looking for me somewhere where I wasn't – but arguably should have been!

I called loudly which got his attention – and the attention of many people around. He responded with a wave and I scampered over to him, intending to tell him to go ahead and that I would catch him up.

“Julina, why don't you stay here? What's left to load up is easily handled by Suril and myself, he will accompany Dralla and I back anyway and I know where the animal lives now. Your very valuable assistance is no longer required, as it happens. Would you be able to go and take the baby, so Haka can get to work?”

By this time, Rathina had come over to join us and I performed the introductions. When M discovered where she lived, I detected a certain anxiety suddenly make itself felt. M muttered a few pleasantries and departed as soon as it was polite to do so.

Rathina had a puzzled look on her face as she eyed the retreating back. “There's something confusing me about that person, but I know not what.”

I changed the subject quickly by asking her if she wanted to come and see the schoolroom / dining room where I was going to work. Her face lit up but then fell once more as a shadow crossed it. She had just remembered that they would be leaving in half a bell.

To fill in a little of the short time I had left, I decided to quickly tell her about bras and show her mine before I popped down to get little Haris. She was intrigued enough to dash off with me to one of the 'facility' huts dotted around the perimeter of the campingplace.

Once we achieved the relative privacy of the nearest outhouse, which I confess was not the sweetest smelling of places, I quickly stripped to the waist and showed her my bra, explaining the advantages as I did so. I rapidly took mine off after helping her out of her bodice and used that as a comparison measure. She was quick to see the advantages and I promised to get her a set for when she next came to town.

We were just getting redressed when she straightened slightly and asked, in a quiet voice: “That man, Master Michen, is he one of those that prefer his own sort?”

I laughed in astonishment, which convinced her more than anything I could have said. “I can definitely say that that is not the case.”

“There was something strange. What was it? … Oh! I know. When you called and waved, he waved back. That wave was very feminine. And at the same time somehow familiar. I sort of recognised it. Hmmmmm … now where could I have seen it before?” She shook her head as she tried to break the thought free.

I hoped that she wouldn't connect the person and the frayen with the woman who used to ride the higher slopes studying riddris. It was shocking to me that she continued immediately after I had had that thought: “And that frayen looks somehow familiar, with the lighter skin between the forelegs.”

“That's the animal I am going to learn to ride tomorrow! When I can, I will come up and visit you there in your Vale. Is it nice at this time of year? Oooh – maybe I could overnight with you, and do some lettering lessons? Would THAT be a good idea?”

“Oh, indeed! That IS a good idea, Julina. But don't forget that nowadays you shouldn't be abroad alone. You would need a companion/chaperone to be with you. How could you manage that?”

My face fell – admittedly I added a little extra to get a stronger effect – as I remembered I couldn't be alone any more. But, thank the Maker, I had changed the subject and taken her mind off M.

“I keep forgetting about that, after all I have been running all over this town on my own since I could toddle, just about. I'll think of something or someone. Or find someone to advise me, at the very least. But I have to pop and get the baby now, so Haka can get to work at the third Bell.”

We escaped from the heavy smells of the outhouse into the relatively fresher air and had to laugh as a dranakh, pulling a laden wagon, passed and farted loudly.

I then realised with a shock that this was exactly the wagon I had wanted to inspect closer which had led me to get into my trouble. I could see that it was laden with two large ranges, and a hand of smaller ones, also there were covered things whose shape suggested bathtubs. In the daylight it was far easier to see than in the murk of a swiftly falling dusk.

But all this tickled whatever it was in the back of my brain once again. This idea was struggling to emerge into the light, but just wasn't strong enough yet.

Rathina and I hugged a farewell and then I dashed down to M's to get the baby so Haka could get to work. As I passed the forge, Master Brydas called to me so I yelled back to him that I would return in ten moments maximum, and we waved to each other in confirmation. I dashed across the road, earning a shout of protest from each of the approaching wagoneers, one coming up towards me and the other heading downslope. But I was nimble enough to avoid any problems.

I ran into M's house and saw a relieved look on Haka's face. I took the baby from her and she left immediately to go down to Mistress Hasinet's. Kassama and Master Morden were both grateful to me for introducing the family into their home, saying that breakfast was so much more enjoyable now and that everyone had slept well, and so on and so forth. I told them that I would take the baby to my home, but first had to pop quickly into the forge. I also remembered that M and I had to get together soon to plan the food for the Salon's trial run, now four nights away, so I asked Kassama to remind M when he got back.

Haris was a lot quieter than he had been earlier, and again I felt a strange feeling strike through me as I held this bundle in my arms, his head in the crook of my left elbow. He actually grinned at me as he settled into my embrace, and just for a moment he opened his mouth as if he was going to suckle on me.

Oh how delightful THAT feeling was.

I supposed he realised that, as I was dressed, he wouldn't be getting anything - so he yawned loudly and snuggled down, falling asleep soon after. It shot into my head that he had been fractious earlier because he didn't like the hut and much preferred here.

Wrapping him carefully, I let Kassama open the front door for me. I was struck immediately by the feeling of added responsibility, just having this toddler with me. I was certainly not going to run across the road tightly to oncoming traffic, however nimble I had been just moments before. The traffic was heavy still, so I ascended the slope using the sidewalk this side and encountered a FOURTH flattening team, sure enough doing the alley three buildings higher. No wonder the roadbeds advanced so quickly if there were so many workers doing the preparations.

I waited patiently to cross the road, by now I was a stride or two upslope of the Forge, and an upcoming wagon slowed at the right moment for me to take advantage of a gap in the downslope traffic. The wagoneer waved me across and I bowed my head in acknowledgement.

Then we both gasped. We each recognised the other. It was the man who had accosted me last night. He looked at me, saw the baby, and looked back into my face with a slightly embarrassed expression.

Just then, Master Brydas, on the other side of the road, loudly called his thanks to the man. His head swivelled and saw the smith's imposing figure. He went pale, and I grinned to myself inwardly when I realised that he thought Master Brydas was my father and therefore how close he had come last night to getting himself on the wrong side of the town's smith. I could actually see his hands shaking as he avoided our eyes and continued upslope without letting his eyes leave his dranakh's ears.

“Well met, Mistress Julina – oh it does sound good to give you a title rather than just your name. It tells me that you have grown into a splendid woman.”

I was of course blushing as I replied: “Well met, Master Brydas. You wanted me?”

He looked at the baby and up at me, his eyes twinkling a question.

“No, no – not mine,” I said with a laugh. “This belongs to Haka and Suril.”

“Ah! The new deputy. He is an impressive fellow I have heard.”

“I managed to arrange for them to overnight from now until their house is completed in Master Michen's abode. Their own hut was falling down, so they needed to move in immediately. They will each do at least a bell each day working for Master Michen to help prepare the Salon, and also get the water heated in the mornings and get breakfast and so on. The one big problem that I foresaw turned out not to be a problem – Master Morden has welcomed the family with no grumbles. I have also found Haka some temporary work with Mistress Hasinet, as she is a talented seamstress herself. Today, I have agreed to take little Haris here, so that Haka can work the morning with no distraction, her first after the trial day yesterday.”

“As usual, your solutions benefit a large number of people.” He paused.

“So, Master Smith, what can I do for you?”

“Mistress Sukhana tells me that you and she will be riding soon. Well, Mylady Garia explained that the King himself insisted on her wearing some head protection whenever she rode, in case she fell off or something. I hesitate to remind you of your poor mother's demise, but some head protection might have saved her. Mylady showed me her hat, and suggested I make one for Senidet as Senidet would also now be able to ride. It occurred to me that you too should have one, and with your permission I shall make one for you as your coming-of-age present. You have been a good friend to Senidet over her life, and I still treasure memories of you and she, and others, playing your complicated children's games strewn over the floor of our sitting room.

“More recently, I know that Senidet appreciated your sensible but understated support after her Trogan experiences.”

A shadow passed over his face as he said that. He swallowed and continued: “I am aware that she sometimes left here troubled in spirit, but returned from being with you, soothed to a greater or lesser extent.”

Again he paused as tears sprang to his eyes before he again resumed: “Something that I was never able to do for her, particularly since her mother left us.”

He swallowed and gathered himself before continuing. “So I need therefore to measure your head, which I deem to be of as much value to this town as Mylady's is to Palarand.”

Master Brydas has always been an uncle-figure in my life, and for me to receive such praise and obvious affection from a man up to whom I had always looked was almost overwhelming. My eyes too welled up and there was a catch in my voice as I replied. “You do me great honour, Uncl … er, I mean, Master Brydas.”

“Julina! Do you really see me as an Uncle? Oh how I wish …” he broke off, a hope lighting up his face.

“Mistress, I know I said I was pleased to be able to address you at last with a title, but I would desire to drop that title for a friendlier relationship. It would please me enormously were you to call me your Uncle! Would you, could you, do me that honour?”

I was choked with emotion, and nodded my acceptance. Then we came together and hugged – very awkwardly because of the baby nestled to my bosom!

We stood apart again, and when he cuffed his own eyes with the back of a hand, I nearly started sniffling again. But we managed to return to more normal behaviour after a few heartbeats during which we both knew we could not have any eye contact.

He cleared his throat and I started cooing at the baby, who had woken up – but without yelling, thank the Maker!

We were finally brought back to a semblance of normality by a gasp from the direction of the workshops. Master Brydas had to turn round to see who it was whereas I simply had to shift my eyes to look over there.

Sethan looked directly at me as he began, a strange look of wistful longing on his face; but this was not lustful longing, it was more a longing for something that was perhaps missing: “Mistress Julina, please don't get me wrong, but that was beautiful. I want one day to be able to make a woman look like that. Narrin and me, we run didn't we? From parents what abused us. We drifted into bad company, and could find no way out. We just sank deeper and deeper into the sludge at the bottom of the pond. Such hopes we had, such certainty that things would get better! But we lost our way and, in the end, we found no reason to look forward to any day.

“But Mylady first, with her leniency, and now Master Brydas here, they both have given me a reason.

“And you, Mistress, have given me a target. I now feel I want to make a woman show the love what you just did. Why I even think, now, after the help from this town, I could one day do that. Excuse me!” he half sobbed as he scurried away.

We two left there looked at each other, sobered by the hints at such a turbulent life.

“Come Julina, let me find my measurer,” he said finally.

“Certainly, Mast … Uncle.”

How nice it felt to say that.

We walked back into the bustling centre of activity where people scurried to and fro, into and out of a myriad of huts and workshops, some joined by rickety rooves, some standing alone. It was bewildering to my untrained eyes. Uncle led me gently to a quiet corner and indicated I should wait there, while he went off to fetch his equipment. I looked around me idly, not expecting to see anything I understood.

Uncle returned and swiftly measured round my head, noting the number on a slate. I grinned as I realised that now just about every part of me had been measured in the past few days and we shared a laugh when I told him that!

Just then, a young man approached us. I recognised him and the strangely-shaded green container he was carrying. He was the man I had watched operate that press thingy the other day.

“Master, this is now nearly full, and the used strips are back in the furnace melting once more. You said I was to take it to a Mistress Hassina or something. I dunno where she can be found.”

“Ah, Jerbin. May I present Mistress Julina, my niece?” I grinned with delight as he said that.

“Julina, this is Jerbin, one of my journeymen. He has been making those little buckle thingies for your ladies' underwear.” I must have looked puzzled for a moment. “The bra things, I believe you call them.”

“Ah! Yes. Now I understand.” I turned to the young man. “Well met, Jerbin. I watched you the other day as you used the press. Now I know what the things you were making are.”

I turned back to the Smith. “Uncle, if it pleases you, I have a small commission to fulfill at Mistress Hasinet's. I could conduct Jerbin down there to show him where to go.”

“That would be so very …”

His sentence was obscured as a great hiss of steaming something drowned all noise for a moment. I looked around to see red hot metal had been plunged into a metal tank. Great clouds of steam boiled up from the water in the metal tank there, at least I assumed it was water. I was briefly amazed that this tank was raised on little legs, just like the one next to it, and yet this tank didn't have fires lit under it, unlike its partner. I half wondered why one needed to be cold, and one hot, but that thought soon disappeared.

Someone else called for him, so Uncle shrugged at me and waved the two of us away. Jerbin looked amazed as I turned to go with him and asked where my companion was. I was taken aback as yet another reminder came of my future lack of freedom.

I thought quickly and replied: “You work for my Uncle – I don't believe that you would do anything that would make him annoyed with you. And I am well known around this town. I don't believe that you would be able to get away with doing anything untoward. Therefore, I am prepared to take the risk.”

I felt a little sorry for the poor lad, as he was quite cowed by my assertiveness and my claims of virtual immunity. We went out onto the sidewalk by Main Street and I had to stop and grin.

For there was Pomma walking down the street with a frayen on either side of her. I swiftly took a couple of titbits out of my pouch and fed each of the animals. One, Boxin as it transpired, was a bit snappy but I gave him a good 'stern mother' glare. By chance, my companion requirement had been coincidentally filled and I could feel Jerbin relax slightly.

“Mistress Pomma! Well that certainly didn't take you very long! May I present Jerbin, a journeyman with Master Brydas. I was just taking him down to Mistress Hasinet. He has a precious cargo. The buckles for our bras!”

“Jerbin, well met.”

“Mistress Pomma.”

So we all three walked down Main Street together and Pomma told me our riding attire had been delivered already. I promised to return to hers as soon as I was finished, but she said to pop into the Claw first in case she was still there.

She was very interested in the babe in my arms and made a fuss of him even as we were progressing down the street. There was a certain amount of traffic, so we couldn't just stop like maybe we could have done a few months ago – indeed we had to walk quite a bit quicker than just the casual saunter we wanted to take.

And so we proceeded on our way as a trio until Pomma took the two beasts into the Claw's courtyard and we two carried on that bit further, but, unlike before, staying on the pavement, much to the relief of the wagoneers.

This time there was no long line of women waiting outside, so I knew to knock at the door and wait. It was opened by Haka, who immediately thought something was wrong with Haris, but I hastily reassured her. Mistress Hasinet had been drawn to the door by the initial panic in Haka's voice, so there were four of us crowded into a reduced place.

Once I had regained some normality of the situation, I explained Jerbin's presence, and the fact that I was merely acting as a guide for him this first time. Haka had of course taken Haris to her chest and Mistress H was mostly interested in inspecting the little thing. She took the container from Jerbin, disappeared into her workroom and we heard a metallic shooshing sound that told us she had poured the contents into some other container. She returned and handed Jerbin the original container with a gracious thank you.

I grinned ruefully as Jerbin and I walked away together, his arms carrying the now empty container and my arms carrying … nothing. The little lad's quiet contentment had quite won over Mistress H and she insisted he stay with his mother.

Jerbin and I chatted desultorily as he escorted me to the Claw where I took my leave of him. His conversation would have to cover a wider range than just smithy details if he was to impress a girl! However, I did learn that he was earmarked to be the one to assist the glassmaker when that Master arrived – apparently there was a higher degree of cooperation between the two trades nowadays, but I couldn't work out why that might be.

I said my goodbyes to Jerbin and entered the Claw's courtyard where I saw Pomma still talking with Parry. I had to grin at the sight of the two animals. Boxin was looking round with a slightly puzzled almost confusion and Wiget with a delighted amazement, or at least that's the way I interpreted their expressions.

Parry was just leading the two into the so-called 'residents' area' as I came in, so I followed, calling gently to Pomma and Parry as I did so. Boxin and Wiget looked on as I fed munchies to the two for whom I was responsible, if you like. Pomma had come prepared and she slipped Wiget a cube of malm. Boxin was too busy being puzzled and looking around to demand something. It seemed to me that the two newcomers were sniffing in the atmosphere somehow.

Eventually, Pomma and I left the animals and walked upslope with just one thing on our minds – to try on our riding attire. However, a secondary consideration occurred to me so I popped into M's to let them know where the baby was. I decided to use the facilities while I was there and I showed Pomma round what would be my work area soon. She liked the arrangements in the toilets with the buckets and I explained my suggestion for an improvement or two. We went into the kitchen and she liked the fact that there was a large metal water tank hung on the wall to provide an instant feed of water to the sink and for filling pots.

The kitchen was in fact cosy and warm, more so than I had experienced before – obviously a result of Haka's work helping rouse the house earlier. Finally, we departed to go and try on some clothes. My excitement was mounting.

We walked across the road, it being empty for once, before going up the sidewalk on that side. On the way, I explained to her my need for arranging a companion or chaperone and she understood the difficulty, especially with us living relatively remotely. She did point out something that had not occurred to me – that when the Miners' Village was occupied, then the campingplace would once again be relatively free and maybe things would get better. I supposed that could be true, and yet the population had so far expanded so quietly and yet so thoroughly that I had my doubts whether the hoped-for relief would become apparent.

I then mentioned the problems of getting the children up in the Vale educated in lettering. She couldn't come up with any other suggestions than those that Rathina and I had previously. She did say she would think about it and I had to be satisfied with that.

Then she told me that she and Mistress Shantoona had been talking, and they, and several others, including Master Wainer, had offered some rooms to the wives of the miners in exchange for coin and/or domestic duties, keeping these women occupied and keeping their men clean with the use of the bathrooms. In fact, one of the wives lodging with Mistress Shantoona was organising a laundry service as the towns laundresses had already been overwhelmed by demand.

Already, some extra income had been generated. I was pleased for the Town.


up
143 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ah, a Road Scholar!

Let's hope the town's growth continues to be sensible. Sadly there are hints that the character of the small town is going to change, good and bad. Though I am sure some folks will be err 'bummed out'.

Julina will be socially prominent like it or not and she may gain enough social capital to push women's rights forward. Garia may be liege but she is a local so townies may listen more to her.

Oh and a big thank you for Jules continuing to 'cobble' such a nice story.

Making The Grade

If Julina continues this whirlwind of activity, she will have to divide before she passes herself and disappears! Great chapter.

DJ