Tell Me Your Secrets, Chapter 25

Printer-friendly version
Tell Me Your Secrets
Chapter 25

by:
Drakira

The last Lore Keeper of the Weres disappeared without a trace, now thirty years later his legacy returns in the form of a young man named Michael Williams.


Disclaimer:
~Big thanks to Enemyoffun for making this universe to play in, and to all my beta readers for helping me hammer out some of the details in this chapter. Also, a big thanks to djkauf, who's edits are always awesome.
Author's Note: I hope you all enjoy this final chapter in Mikaela's saga. Her tale, for now anyway, is at an end. And who knows, she pop again soon. I had a lot of fun writing this, and I'm thanking everyone who has had a hand in helping me through it, and also thanking everyone out there who has read it. This would be my first tale completed as well, :).
As always, please feel free to comment on this, as I always enjoy reading your comments and learning from them immensely.

Chapter 25

November 23, 2011
My dreams seemed to just blend together with what I had just experienced. Animals representing the various Ravencrest clans dancing through my head, running through a forest to a secluded grove. The caw of many ravens from overhead, calling out to me. And the smell of crispy bacon sending hunger right through me.
Wait a sec? Bacon?

That got my attention. I bolted upright in a bed that seemed familiar to me. One that I haven't slept in for a while. I looked around the room and realized that I had awoken in the guest bedroom of the Drakes.

Where was that bacon coming from?

I flipped the covers off of me, and seeing myself dressed in one of my nightgowns from my apartment. Paying that little attention, I exited the room and followed my nose down the stairs and into their kitchen.

Alex sat at the table, sipping come coffee. While her mother stood over the stove frying up some of that tasty bacon.

“I told you that would work,” Alex said, with her cute smirking smile.

“Yeah, and that you were also craving bacon for breakfast,” her mother replied.

“Hey!”

“Wha..? What happened?” I asked.

“Calm down, Mikaela. There'll be plenty of time for talking and explanations later. Right now, you need to eat.”

Cassie pointed a finger at one of the empty chairs at the table and told me, “Plant it, Missie.”

She turned back to the stove and finished up with the bacon, while Alex asked, “Doing okay?”

I nodded, and before I could say anything. A plate full of bacon, sausage, and pancakes appeared in front of me. I wanted to tear into that right now with my bare hands. But, Cassie tapped my shoulder and handed me a fork.

“Eat first, talk later.”

“Can't argue with that,” I answered with a smile, taking the fork from her and digging into the delicious breakfast she had made.

Cassie turned to her daughter. “Same thing applies to you.”

“But, Mom!” she moaned.

“She'll tell us her story once we get some food back into her. You saw how long she slept. Whatever it was, took a lot out of her. So, shush! Eat!”

“Fine,” she groaned.

I couldn't help but smile. I was thankful to be eating, rather than explaining right now. And boy, did this food taste soooo good right now. As soon as I had emptied my plate, Cassie would immediately fill it up again. She also poured me a strong cup of coffee and another of orange juice. All of it tasted sooooo good, and felt like it was exactly what the doctor ordered.

About an hour later, we had gone into the living room and got comfortable on the couch and chairs. I had changed into some clothes that Alex and Cassie had brought over from my apartment. When I'd asked how'd they gotten in to it, they just answered that they borrowed my key. Then they started into their story of what happened when I showed up.

When I was dropped off on their doorstep a couple of nights ago, they had to get something for me, considering the sorry state I was in. I still had some wounds from the fight and they said, to be quite frank, I looked like hell.

I just giggled at that. I felt like hell after going another round with that Snake. The man who dropped me off, they described as a commando wearing black gear. That made some sense, as he was also the guy that came to Tracy's and my rescue.

He told them to take care of me and nurse me back to health, while he talked with the Alpha about what he had discovered at the warehouse. They wanted information, but he just said that they will find out what they needed to know when the time came.

They didn't like him being so cryptic. But, they agreed, especially when Alex tried to carry me up the stairs by herself. She had barely gotten up two stairs before I fell on top of her.

They also told me that I had been asleep for days, and had told my mother what had happened and that I was safe. She also completely understood if I didn't want to fly back there for Thanksgiving.

That made me feel a little better, although I still felt bad about all the money she had paid for the airline tickets. I'd think about that, since I would have to fly out there this evening.

“If you do want to go back home tonight,” she added, “We have made alternative arrangements so you can get there tomorrow for Thanksgiving dinner.”

“Thanks,” I smiled. That made me feel a little bit better.

However, before I could start on my story, a loud knock came from the front door.

“I was wondering when they would get here,” Cassie remarked, getting up off the couch to open the door.

“Who's here?” I asked.

No sooner had I asked, then Cassie had opened the front door.

“About time you showed up. Although you missed breakfast.”

“It's no worries,” a deep voice that I recognized replied.

Cassie invited them in, and I saw Chiron, the Wereraven, and Iris walk in. Chiron wore a sharp business suit, as though he had an important meeting to get to. Iris, however, simply wore civilian clothing, to try not draw attention to herself. Where were those two when I needed them during that mess?

“How're you doing, Mikaela?” Iris asked, after the two of them took a seat in the living room. Cassie went into the kitchen to get them a couple glasses of water.

“Alright, I guess,” I answered.

“My apologies that we could not get to you sooner,” Chiron apologized.

“You were looking for me?”

“And Tracy, yes,” he explained. “Tobias, as proud as he is, would not accept our help in tracking down you and his daughter. Merely said that he had it covered.”

“Bastard,” I muttered.

“Looks like he succeeded where we failed.”

“And we could see everything from on high,” Iris retorted.

“So, my granddaughter,” Chiron started. “Would you care to tell us your tale?”

I nodded and immediately launched into everything that had happened to me. From the kidnaping in the alley near the comic book store, to me going all wild and going toe-to-toe with that damn Snake. And even though there were a few interruptions in my narrative, mostly due to their reactions, they let me finish telling the story to its fullest.

When I had completed my tale, Chiron nodded and Iris looked a bit worried. Clearly, there was still some piece of the puzzle that I was missing.

“So,” I asked after finishing my tale, “who were those bastards that kidnaped Tracy and me. And what did they want?”

“From what the Omega Wolf had told us,” Chiron started.

'So that's who it was who had saved Tracy and me,' I thought when the realization hit me.

He continued, “Most of the Weres that were there all were branded with an Omega symbol on their arms.”

“They were all Weres? Even that woman?”

“We don't know about the woman. She had already escaped before Mason had even got there. But, these tattoos trouble us.”

Iris picked up the explanation from there, “According to my sources, these “Omegas” were cast out of their clans for some reason or other. Most of them had spent time in the military, but again, no one knows why they were exiled. It appears they banded together for some reason.”

She sipped some water and continued, “As for what they want, that remains a deep mystery. Taking your blood and going after the Lorekeeper ring set could mean anything. So, we're going to keep an eye out for anything suspicious that could happen to you, and the other Lorekeepers in town.”

“Do you even know who they are?” I asked. “I would like to meet them, since we share similar offices.”

“We could probably arrange it with the Witches,” Chiron continued, “But, we don't exactly know who the Vampire is. Carmilla and Wisteria aren't talking about it.”

“Like you'd expect anything less from those two,” Cassie added.

“Times are changing,” Chiron observed. “And we must change with them, or be lost under the tide.”

“So, what are you going to do now, Iris?” I asked. “Now that your mission is over?”

“I haven't given it much thought,” Iris replied. “I still have to debrief with my superiors, so I will get back to you on that.”

I merely nodded agreement. Even though I was curious as to what she would do now, I left it alone as it wasn't any of my business.

I turned to Chiron and asked, “So, what was that... 'thing...,' I turned into?”

Iris looked down at the ground when I mentioned that, while Chiron sat back in the chair and took in a deep sigh. “I'd guess I better tell you, now that you are more apt to turn into it again.”

“Say what?” I answered in a surprised tone.

“What you turned into, and what should be used as sparingly as possible, is the Beast form that some of the Weres possess.”

“Beast form?”

“Yes, the ultimate merging of man and animal. However, they tend to be extremely feral, brought out by extreme emotion, and nearly impossible to control,” Chiron explained.

“Nearly impossible?” I commented, thinking back to what happened. “Then, why did I have such control over it? I mean, I didn't attack the gun who killed Bellock. And I consciously turned back into myself afterwards.”

“Hmmm...,” Chiron thought.

As he thought of the why, I thought of why I didn't have any wings in that form. I was part raven after all. I sighed, thinking that it would've been cool to have them on that form, and how awesome I would've looked.

“That's unusual,” Iris commented, snapping me out of those thoughts. “I've never heard of a rookie Were having such control over a Beast form.”
“Indeed,” Chiron added.

“Then what could have caused that?” Cassie asked.

“My guess,” Chiron started, “is that the Lorekeeper's ring, er... bracelet, helped to temper the Beast's feral nature, therefore allowing Mikaela to control it. As well as to revert back to normal at will, without being extremely tired from doing so.”

“Well, after I turned back,” I commented, “I did feel extremely tired and passed out not long afterwards.”

“As Mason Locke described in his report,” Chiron replied. “Although, the usage of the Beast form wears out even the most experienced Were.”

“Does this thing have any more abilities that I should be aware of?” I asked, sounding a little frustrated about having a really cool toy, but not knowing what all of the buttons did.

“Most likely. It does contain many abilities,” Chiron continued.

“Such as?” I asked, driving that point home. “I'm really tired of having to learn all of them as I go along. So, any information that you might have, I really want.”

“Well, the only ones that I know of, when Leo talked to me, were that it enables you to assume the animal forms of each of the clans in Ravencrest. Although, something else is needed in order for you to do so. He never said what it was, though.”

“Any guesses?”

“It could have to do with the Alphas of each clan simply talking to you or granting you something. I'm not sure.”

I looked at the bracelet, and looked closely at the two animals that hung there. One, a gold raven, and the other, a silver wolf. No coyote, fox, cougar, or bear rested on it. Although the other charms, the magician's top hat and command insignia from Star Trek, probably symbolized my own personality and interests. Looking closer, I saw a book charm hanging from it as well. Did that one symbolize the archive or all the reading that I have done so far? I could only guess as to what it represented.

“There is one more thing that you should know about the previous lorekeeper and how you came upon the ring on the beach out here,” Chiron started.

“Oh?” I answered.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Cassie looking a bit sheepishly. As if she had been harboring a deep secret for a long time. Chiron paid it no heed and merely continued with his story.

“Leo gave the ring to me after he was impaled by a trap set by Cameron those many years ago. I took it to Crowley Manor, but no one was at home. I then flew to the Drake’s home, hoping that someone here could guard it, before its rightful heir could come and claim it.”

“Me?”

He nodded. Cassie picked up from where he left off. “I found the ring when I was hanging out along the beach watching some of the Locke boys playing around in the lake. I nearly gave the ring to the eldest Locke, but Chiron swooped in and stopped me.

“After I was alone with the ring, he approached me and told me what had happened. I asked him if we should do anything for the Lorekeeper, but he told me that it would be taken care of. I then buried the ring out there on the beach, to keep it safe from those who would misuse the power of the Lorekeeper.”

“The Were Council, which at the time was under the leadership of Tobias Locke II, father of the current head of the Locke family, decided not to conduct a thorough investigation about what had happened,” Chiron continued. “He wanted the power for himself; since Leo was a Cougar, usually ruled against him during council meetings.”

“Then why is the current Locke blocking my every move? I mean, I'm a Wolf, not a Cougar.”

“You're also an outsider,” Chiron explained. “And Tobias is very distrustful of outsiders. Although, your recent actions concerning his daughter might help you out.”

“I'm not going to hold my breath,” I angrily rebutted.

“A wise decision, considering the stubbornness of the man.”

Chiron and Iris then climbed to their feet.

“Now,” he said, buttoning up his suit jacket, “Iris and I must be going. There are still some things that must be seen to, and more of an investigation that must be conducted into what that group wanted in this town.”

“I want to help!” I shouted.

“Not right now,” Chiron stated. “You're still weak from your altercation with these men.”

I grumbled at that, but realized that he was probably right.

“However,” he continued, “I will keep you informed as to the progress of my investigation. The Council will be conducting their own, of course. But, I want to do my own, to make sure facts aren't muddled up.”

“Thank you,” I answered.

He reached into his suit pocket and pulled out a folded-up piece of paper. He then explained, “Should you wish to go home for Thanksgiving, this will tell you everything you need to know to get home on time.”

“Thanks,” I answered, taking the paper from him.

“Cassie,” he then said, addressing her. “Thank you for everything.”

“Any time, Chiron.”

Chiron and Iris then left the house, leaving the three of us alone. Cassie soon left the room, returning to the kitchen to take care of something.

“So,” Alex said, looking at me. “are you going to go see your family?”

“I really would like to. Get away from this town for a while, with everything that I've been through.”

“Want some company?” she asked with a smile.

I smiled back, and answered, “I would love some.”

“Good,” Alex replied, coming close and giving me a kiss.

After she pulled back, she said, “I'll ask my mom to see if it’s alright I go with you, then I'll go get my car keys so we can get you packed up. Okay?”

“Kay,” I smiled at her.

As she left the room, she yelled after her mom, while I unfolded the piece of paper that Chiron gave me. Inside were directions to the local airport and which hangar to go to, where a plane was prepped and ready to fly for Sacramento International, the closest airport to my hometown, and even then, it was still a two hour drive. However, there was something else hidden inside as well.

Another charm for my bracelet, it appeared to be. This one looked like a bird in flight. Whereas the raven charm already on my bracelet looked like it sat perched on a branch. I smiled when I looked at it, and stuck it on the bracelet.

I finished looking at the note, with a request from Chiron about talking with my father again. That changed my mood. My father, whom seemed to have a hands-off policy concerning me and my mother, wanted to talk and invite the two of us to Christmas at Chiron's place. He also included a phone number in the note, which I already had.

My mind whirled around at why he didn't just go up to us and ask us directly. It definitely made me not want to do it. Although, that wasn't fair to the rest of my family.

“You ready to go?” Alex asked me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

“What? Oh, yeah,” I answered, getting up off the couch. “Let's go.”

Alex smiled, and the two of us headed out so I could be with my family back in California for Thanksgiving.

“So, you coming too?”

“Yep,” she answered with her incredible smile.

“Cool,” I replied.

December 16, 2011
Finals had finally ended as I flopped face down on to my couch. I had just finished my most brutal final, and I was ready to be heading home for the holidays. Thankfully, after Thanksgiving things in Ravencrest settled down for a bit, at least where it concerned the Weres.

I hadn't made much progress with any of the other Were clans. My guess was that the Lockes were still putting pressure on them to keep me out. Or it could be that they wanted to deal with this when the college semester was over. If only it was that simple.

I had everything packed up for my flight back home, and more of the family would be gathering for the Christmas holidays. Thanksgiving was a more intimate affair. Just Mom, Alex, and me. The more challenging thing that we did during the Thanksgiving break was refitting my bedroom at home to reflect the new me more. I never realized how much stuff would have to go through some kind of a turn over. Most of the stuff we tossed, we donated to the Goodwill. Might as well someone else make good use of things that I no longer needed.

Although, after going through all of my finals, I'm not sure which will be worse. Taking them again, or facing down my family now that my switch had been flipped. And this time, Alex wouldn't be coming with me. She had to be with her own family this holiday. Also, I wouldn't know how the local Were clans back home would react to me now.

I heard a knock on the door and groaned. After that mental battle, I so didn't want to get up right now. Begrudgingly, I headed over to door and opened it.

“Hi Mikaela,” Iris greeted me. She looked much the same as I last saw her, pretty much she just decided to wear a different outfit.

“Iris!” I answered, “It's been a while.”

“Yes, it has. Mind if I come in?”

“Sure, please do,” I replied.

She took a spot in my chair, while I sat down on the couch.

“So? What brings you by? I thought you went back to the Forsaken.”

“Yes,” she answered, “I had spent a great deal of time with them.”

“Seems like they didn't want to let you go.”

She smirked at that. “Well, they have a new mission for me.”

“Oh?”

“Forsaken Intelligence has uncovered some unsettling information, concerning Ravencrest.”

“What information?”

“I can't say for certain. Only that something's going down that they want to keep a close eye on.”

“Wouldn't that be a disruption to Tobias Locke?” I asked.

I still hadn't met with the man, although I had seen Tracy from time to time in the comics shop. She kept to her usual order, which kept my boss happy.

“He won't know I'm here,” she replied, with a sly smile. “I mean, he didn't until the very end the last time I was here.”

“Okay,” I answered.

“Also, I have an offer of my own to extend.”

“Offer?”

“Yes,” she continued. “I would like to be your bodyguard, as it were.”

“Bodyguard?” I stammered out. “What makes you think I need protecting?”

I held up my finger as she began to speak, and I quickly said, “Don't answer that.”

She smiled and I continued, “Just how close will you be?”

“Close enough to be ready to come to your rescue, if need be. But, far enough away to give you your privacy.”

I smiled. “Well, I guess if I get my job finally, they'll have to deal with you.”

She smiled back and stood up, “Then, I'll go find an apartment in town to give you your privacy.”

I smiled and showed her out. After she left, I quickly ran over and grabbed my bags. Alex was driving me to the airport and she told me she'd get here as soon as she could when we left each other at school.

January 8, 2012
No sooner than I had gotten off the plane, than a dark car whisked me away to the Locke estate. Apparently, Tobias Locke was interested in talking. Finally.

When I arrived at the estate, I could see some dark storm clouds covering the sky. Thunder rolled in the distance. A big storm was coming, that was for sure. As soon as I got out of the car, a familiar face was there to greet me.

“Have a nice flight, Mikaela?” Tracy asked.

“Not too bad, thanks for asking.”

I noticed something shiny from around her neck. I wonder if her father gave her a necklace so that she would look even more beautiful than she did now. Not that I was interested, I mean, I have my own girlfriend.

When we got inside she said, “Thanks again.”

“For what?”

“For protecting me when I couldn't.”

“Don't mention it. I'm sure you would do the same.”

“Yes, I definitely believe that I would,” she answered with a smile.

Tracy led me through the expansive estate until I arrived at two large wooden doors. The doors to Tobias' office, I presumed.

“Be careful,” she warned, raising a hand to indicate that I should enter.

“You're not coming?”

“It's just between the two of you. Good luck.”

She turned and left, leaving me right at the Alpha Locke's doorstep.

I took a deep breath and opened the door and walked inside.

“Hello?” I called into the void. “Mr. Locke?”

I walked towards the desk that I could see at the far end of the room. From somewhere near it, a deep voice spoke out, “So, you're Miss Vance.”

THE END... for now...

up
202 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cliffhanger of Cliffhangers

You meanie!!!!!!! This is as bad as the end of For the Fairest.

Please write sequel soon. This was an awesome story, and when I saw this chapter I thought "Yayness, Drakira is going weekly (roughly, at least) with the postings!"

I would tend to agree here.

Excellent work on the cliffhangar, but don't leave us hanging for too long. You and EoF need to iron out what's going to happen sometime soon please. All of us are waiting on it.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

The Immediate Future

Drakira's picture

Yup. EoF and I will need to iron out what will happen next, since those two have finally come to a head.

Hopefully, we can hammer it out quickly.

Drakira

Me? Mean? Perish the Thought!

Drakira's picture

On a serious note. Me going weekly? That may be possible in the future. Right now, I have a few story ideas being kicked around and it will take a while for them to get sorted.

As for Mikaela's continuing adventures? They will come. It's only a matter of time.

Drakira

For The Fairest

Enemyoffun's picture

There was nothing wrong with that ending :P

End of Book 1?

The way it ended, that is heavily implied. Good news, it really deserves to be continued.

Continuing Story

Drakira's picture

Mikaela's story and adventures will continue. Currently, she's finally meeting Tobias Locke, but when she was home for Christmas? That's something different altogether, :).

Drakira

Aha!

So that sounds as though you're not just going to continue events from the start of Mikaela's conversation with Tobias, but also fill in some of the gaps from Thanksgiving to Christmas (since Mikaela had worried how the weres in her hometown would react to her).

Also, going forward, we'll no doubt find the significance of the second raven charm - and possibly see Mikaela picking up some new ones (and not necessarily just those of the remaining were clans in Ravencrest!) Regarding meeting the other lorekeepers, the vampires almost certainly wouldn't allow her to meet theirs unless there was an immediately pressing need, but it's possible they may eventually provide a means of passing on information indirectly (either via meetings with a representative or two [depending on how badly the two halves of the house distrust each other], or via a dead drop [aka dead letter box]).

One slight puzzle though: since she's just taken finals, what was the reference to her having to take them again about?


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Clarifications

Drakira's picture

Here's some clarifications:

First, she just has the one raven charm on her bracelet. Unless there's another reference to a second one somewhere.
Second, her meeting the other lorekeepers that's way down the road.
Third, the gap that I'm looking to fill, her Winter Break.
Fourth, the reference to her taking finals again, is just a figure of speech. She's not sure what she should be more afraid of: finals or family.
Fifth, there is no fifth clarification. ;)

Drakira

The charm

Aha - so the second bird isn't necessarily a raven: "Another charm for my bracelet, it appeared to be. This one looked like a bird in flight. Whereas the raven charm already on my bracelet looked like it sat perched on a branch."

I figured meeting the other Lorekeepers would take a while - after all, the immediate threat's gone, so it would only likely move up the priority list if there were hints other members of this group of Omegas (or another Unseen-wide threat) coming to town - and then it would only likely be very contextually limited - namely to compare notes from their respective archives on previous experiences with the threat. Full cooperation between Lorekeepers could be years down the line.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

The new bird charm

It could quite possibly be her new connection with Iris seeing as how I believe she is a Were-hawk.

I stand corrected

Drakira's picture

Okay, I didn't realize I did stick another bird on her bracelet. Any guess as to what it might be then?

The meeting with the other lorekeepers will happen. Just a matter of time. Probably meet the witch one first, since they are more open than the vampires.

Drakira

Left us wanting more

Kathy Leigh's picture

I hope you are not planning to abandon the DRU as some many author seem to be doing.

I would love to see what happens next.

Thank you for your wonderful efforts.

Hugs,

Kathy Leigh

Abandoning the Universe?

Drakira's picture

No, I am not abandoning this universe. Although, I think some of my fellow DRU authors have, like I did, slammed into a major writer's block.

Site maintenance being what it was and is, probably didn't help to much either. But, there was nothing we could do about that, and Erin and other admins did a great job at getting it back up as quickly as possible.

As to what happens next? I'm not telling at the moment, ;).

Drakira

The DRU

Enemyoffun's picture

The DRU has not been abandoned just merely on vacation lol.

Not abandoned

Amethyst's picture

just in a holding pattern for now.

*hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

I haven't left it either! :o

I'm just sorting some stuff out in real life, and working on rebooting (Un)Life so that it doesn't jar the reader so much at the end. And closing up plot holes and such. :)

Peace be with you and Blessed be

thank you

for adding another great chapter in this verry nice story
i liked it verry mutch exept the last 4 words '' THE END... for now...''
erik je

"The End" ?

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

*blinks*
Oh, "for now"!
*smiles*
*awaits more*

went to read...

the new story and realized something wasn't tracking. had to finish 3 chapters of this. is suck when you get behind and don't remember where all you're behind. you left lots still open. glad to see you writing again. thanks

What Did I Leave?

Drakira's picture

So, what did I leave open for future possibilities? Sometimes, as the writer even, you do tend to forget a few things.

Drakira

Read some of the comments..OK

Read some of the comments..OK..Though both this and
EOF's To the Fairest are great stories!!! You two a mean
and cruel making us wait for further stories!

alissa

Read some of the comments..OK

Read some of the comments..OK..Though both this and
EOF's To the Fairest are great stories!!! You two a mean
and cruel making us wait for further stories!

alissa

Evil

What kind of evil ending is that

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna