Of Heroes And Villains Chapter 21

Printer-friendly version
Of Heroes And Villains

Of Heroes And Villains

In which a superhero meets his match, masks are uncovered and a mad scientist just tries to get some mad science-ing done without getting distracted by the antics of her magical minion.

Fanart by the talented Ian Samson, creator of City of Reality and artist of The Wotch



Diane hurried back to the entrance, the humming artifact clutched tightly to her chest. She knew Amelia would never hurt Kara – she simply wasn’t capable of deception, telegraphing her murderous intentions far and wide – but she nonetheless didn’t want to leave them alone longer than was necessary.

She rounded a corner and slammed into armor.

Amelia’s icy hands reached to steady her before she truly lost her balance. Diane blinked in confusion. Amelia plucked the Arcanator from her hands.

“It was you,” she said flatly.

“What? No! I didn’t–”

“Your toy is a trans woman. All you did was heal her body to match her mind. Don’t bore me with something this mundane again.”

And just like that, Amelia stalked past her, leaving Diane swaying in confusion.

Kara was a woman?

It wasn’t exactly a shock, considering his – her? – prior behavior, but still. After a moment’s introspection, Diane concluded it didn’t matter to her. Kara was Kara. She broke into a sprint, hoping he – she – hadn’t already left.

She found Kara sitting on the gurney, freed from the straps, staring blankly at the wall.

“Kara?” she called out softly, slowing her steps as she approached him. Her.

The short-haired woman didn’t visibly react, still staring at something in the distance only she could see.

“You did this to me.” Her voice was dull, devoid of inflection.

“I… I’m sorry?” Diane wasn’t exactly sure why she was apologizing for healing. Wasn’t this a good thing?

“But you didn’t know.” The observation was delivered in the same creepy monotone. It was starting to freak Diane out so she closed the distance between them, brushing her fingertips along Kara’s cheek. She didn’t react.

“I didn’t,” she said softly. “Kara, I..”

“Have you ever done anything worse than stealing?”

She blinked, taken aback. “What?”

“Answer me.” Kara finally moved, slightly tilting her head to gaze at Diane. Her eyes were so very, very empty. A shiver ran down Diane’s spine.

“No. I mean, I beat up a few people, but…”

“Right.”

“…why do you ask?”

Kara’s lips twisted into a mocking smile. “Rule number one. Villains lie.

“I’m not–“

“I know.”

Diane stared at Kara. Everything about her demeanor was just intensely unnerving. It was so cold. There was no affection in her gaze at all.

“What’s wrong with you? Did Amelia–“

“You left me.”

Diane blinked.

“You left me. With her.” Kara’s voice was slowly rising.

Diane’s brow furrowed. “I was gone for five minutes, Kara. And Amelia wouldn’t hurt–“

“You don’t know that!”

Diane flinched at the sudden yell.

“She could have killed me! She could have done worse than kill me! Did you even think about my safety for one second?” Kara’s voice cracked. “Do you care about me at all?”

Diane swayed at the gut punch, but recovered quickly. “Of course I care about you, how can you even–“

Kara laughed humorlessly, slowly pushing herself to stand up. “Really? I couldn’t tell in-between you passively watching as I was strapped to a fucking torture chair by a homicidal maniac and the many, many times you did what you do best. Which is whatever the fuck you want, regardless of my wishes.”

“You like it when I force–“

“I am not a fucking toy, Diane!” Kara hissed. “And the world is bigger than our bedroom. I know I’m shit at expressing them, but I have feelings, too! When, exactly, has anything in this relationship not gone exactly like you wanted it? When you tied me up and forced a woman’s name from my lips? When you had me begging on my knees for crumbs of your affection?” White hot fury was suffusing every word. “When you made me help you commit crimes?”

“Okay, I’m sorry, Kara, just calm down and we can–“

“I am calm.” And suddenly her voice was perfectly level again, so flat and cold. “I am done.”

“D-done?”

“With you.”

“No,” Diane sputtered. “I forbid it.”

Kara turned away, shadows swirling at her feet. Diane lunged forward, grabbing her wrist, and Kara violently pushed her away.

“Do not touch me!”

Diane stumbled back, blinking rapidly against the tears welling in her eyes. “Kara! Kara, stop, please! I love you!

Kara froze, mid-teleport. Even the dark mist around her hovered motionlessly in place.

“I love you,” Diane repeated, quietly.

Kara slowly turned her head back to face her and Diane smiled tentatively, encouraged.

“You’re mine.”

Kara reared backed as if she’d slapped her. And then she sneered.

“What does a villain know of love?”

Then she was gone.

Diane sank to her knees.

up
137 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

so much sadness

I hope Kara calms down soon and that Diane realizes how she hurt Kara and works on her communication skils

;p

You mean...

Communication? In a relationship? Whoever has heard of such an absurd notion?

If you love something, let it go......

D. Eden's picture

If it comes back it's your's. If not, it was never yours to keep.

True love is giving, not owning. She should never have said "Your mine."

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

That...

...was indeed her mistake, especially on the heels of Amelia's "She's mine"-declaration.

a choice

I suspect that Amelia gave Kara a choice. Leave Diane or Diane will not longer exist.

Janice

Kara's choice

No threats necessary to push her to this.

priorities

I think Diane is going to have to figure out how to put someone elses desires before her own. I hope she manages it.

Love the story so far, thank you so much for sharing.


Vita est brevis. Occupo quis tripudium vos reperio.
-Life is short. Seize what joy you find.

Quite

Diane indeed needs to realize what it means to care enough for someone to try to do better for them.

Reactions

Just hope Diane does not do anything truly bad while she is getting over this rejection from Kara. Sometimes people make truly poor choices after they have been hurt by someone.

Please

Diane is clearly someone who only ever makes sage and wise decisions. Right? Right?!

Aw

You have no idea how sad writing this chapter made me :(

No one can

hurt you like the one you love. All it takes is a careless word or action and one or both are crying and hurt. However, Diane truly does not understand just how bad Amelia truly is, but Shade does.

The song had it right. Love does hurt.

hugs
Grover

Great

And now I have that song stuck in my head D= Curse you, grover!

(Not really, love all your comments <3)

She's not.

Podracer's picture

Nope, not the brightest. "You're mine", indeed.

"Reach for the sun."

She really isn't

Worst word choice ever, especially on the heels of Amelia saying the same.

The perfect gut punch after

The perfect gut punch after all this. Well done.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Diane...

Tas's picture

Diane that was a supremely poor choice of words. Very, very, bad choice of words.

Hopefully she can make it up to Kara.

-Tas