Dancing Queen: 21

Printer-friendly version
Working with Richard

Ballroom dancing has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, but I didn’t realise just how important it would become in shaping my future until I had to take the place of one of my bosses following an accident.


Dancing Queen


A novel


by Louise Anne Smithson

Copyright© 2013 Louise Anne Smithson
All Rights Reserved.

Image Credit: Picture from Wikimedia Commons. Free for commercial and personal use with restriction under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence.


 

Chapter 21 Working with Richard

Apart from my brief venture into our loft, the following day was the first time in a fortnight that I’d worn a pair of trousers rather than a skirt or a dress. There was no doubt that I was going in to work as Michelle, though, since I was wearing the pale pink silk blouse and still retained the crystal drop earrings from the previous weekend. I also had to wear the pink lingerie set that Mum had bought for me recently as they were the only clean underclothes I had left. This set included a suspender belt and came with a pair of stockings, which was just as well as I had also run out of tights and didn’t wish to go into work wearing a pair of socks if I could avoid it. Mum was going to do some laundry that day and so I would probably be alright for the remainder of the week, but this reminded me that now Michelle was going to be around for the next two and a half months I was going to need some more clothes. I therefore promised myself to take some money from my savings account and treat myself to some new sets of underwear and pairs of tights at the first available opportunity.

I made the journey into work wearing my heels, as usual, intending to change into my flats when I needed to go out with Richard. I also took in Mum’s flapper-style dress and accessories with me together my tap shoes. I was planning to meet up with Alan immediately after work for a quick practice session before we unveiled our plans to the other dancers. I suppose I could have danced the Charleston wearing the trouser suit but I was keen to show the others the effect I hoped to achieve.

‘I see you are wearing stockings and suspenders today – very sexy,’ whispered Helen to me as I was changing my shoes.

‘It was all I had left that was clean,’ I said blushing slightly.

‘Oh, I assumed they were for Richard’s benefit,’ she replied, with a wicked grin, but then noticed I was getting embarrassed.

‘Sorry; I was only teasing,’ she said.

‘But how did you know?’ I asked.

‘How did I know what? That you were wearing stockings or that you quite like the look of our surveyor?’

‘The former, of course, since the latter isn’t even true,’ I said, continuing to blush.

‘The rubber discs that hold up your stockings make a slight protrusion mark under your trousers which is visible when you bend over or sit down,’ she replied.

It occurred to me that girls were much more observant about such things than men.

~o~O~o~

Richard and I left the office together at ten o’clock and spent most of the remainder of the morning beyond Leighton Buzzard where he had to survey some farm buildings. He was more business-like and not so chatty as Helen during the twenty-five minute car journey but he answered all my questions about what he did. When we got to the farm he clearly explained to me what he wanted me to do, and why, so I had no difficulty following his instructions. In fact we worked well together and had completed all the survey work shortly before one o’clock.

‘We’ve finished sooner than I’d expected but it’s going to take us some time to drive back to the office; how would you fancy having some lunch at a local pub first?’ he asked.

‘Alright, that would be fine by me,’ I replied, even though it would mean that I would have to defer my planned lingerie shopping expedition for a day or so.

He drove us to ‘The Grand Union at the Three Locks’ at Stoke Hammond nearby. As its name suggested it was a refurbished canal-side inn, somewhat more expensive than I would normally wish to pay for my lunch during the week.

‘What would you like to eat, Michelle?’ he asked. ‘I’ll treat you.’

‘Thanks, but I can pay for my own lunch,’ I said and went ahead and ordered and paid for a toasted sandwich.

‘Well at least let me buy you a drink to thank you for your help this morning.’

‘Alright then, I’ll have an orange juice please.’

I retired to the ‘Ladies’ to check on my hair and makeup whilst he waited for our orders to be prepared. I emerged just as he was carrying them over to a table near to the window.

‘Thanks, Richard,’ I said with a smile as I sat down.

‘Thank you for your help this morning.’

I was about to reply that it was part of my job, but stopped myself from doing so as this might sound ungracious. I therefore responded with a smile and a nod. Then there was an awkward silence where neither of us knew what to say next.

Come on, say something, it’s the guy’s job to initiate the conversation, after all,’ I thought to myself, but apparently to no avail.

The silence was beginning to get embarrassing.

‘To be honest, I was a little surprised that you are willing to be seen out with me in public,’ I offered, and then wished I hadn’t said it.

He looked a little awkward.

‘Maybe for the first few days I wasn’t sure what to make of ‘Michelle’, I suppose I thought of you as a guy pretending to be a girl,’ he replied.

‘But not now?’ I asked.

‘No, not after I saw you dancing with Alan for the first time and then you had your makeover. I started to see you in a different light. Then last Saturday’s performance was wonderful. You really are a great dancer.’

He sounded as if he meant it.

‘Thank you,’ I replied beginning to colour.

‘But I just wonder how I will feel about you once you re-appear at work as Mike,’ he continued.

‘Me too!’ I said, blushing.

‘That’s why I was pleased when you were offered a contract until the end of the year.’

‘Yes it puts off that awkward day,’ I replied.

There was another awkward silence.

‘Have you ever been clubbing, Michelle?’

‘No, I’m afraid not, it’s quite a different kind of dancing to ballroom.’

‘I know, but you might find that you enjoyed it all the same. I could take you some time if you were interested.’

I looked up, quite surprised.

‘I don’t think Helen would be too impressed with me if I went clubbing with her boyfriend.’

He smiled.

‘You have the wrong idea, Helen and I have been friends for several years and go out together from time to time, but we have never been what you might call “an item,” as you seem to believe.’

‘Oh! I assumed you were as you had a meal together last Saturday evening.’

He laughed.

‘We spent most of the evening discussing you and your dancing. In fact it was Helen who suggested to me that I should offer to take you clubbing as a means of fending off any unwelcome attention from potential male admirers – assuming of course that such attentions would be unwelcome.’

I blushed as I realised my mistake. In some ways it came as a relief to find that my two workmates had not been going out together, but in other respects it put my own feelings into a quandary.

‘Well, what do you think?’ he asked.

‘I don’t know, Richard, I’m not sure I’m ready to go out on a date as Michelle.’

‘I’m only offering to take you dancing, that’s all.’

I blushed again.

‘Alright, on the understanding that we are just going out dancing as two friends, I should be happy to go with you,’ I replied.

‘Helen has her eyes set on some guy she has met recently. I could suggest that we go as a foursome, if that would be easier for you.’

‘Alright then, if it suits you as well.’

‘Are you doing anything this coming Saturday night?’

‘No I don’t think so.’

‘Then would you like to go to the Diamond Nightclub in Cheapside?’

‘ I’ll look forward to it,’ I replied smiling

He looked happy as well.

‘I’ll pick you up at 10.00pm at your place.’

‘Alright then,’ I said and gave him my home address.

As we drove back to the office after lunch I began to wonder just what I’d let myself in for? What was Mum going to say when a guy turned up at the door wanting to take me out, and what would I wear?

~o~O~o~

I hoped to have a quiet private talk with Helen during the course of the afternoon and ask her advice but didn’t get any chance to do so. It wasn’t until work was over and I’d changed into the flapper-style outfit that we got a chance to speak.

‘Michelle you look wonderful in that dress, I can’t wait to see your final performance,’ she said as she was just packing up to leave.

‘Thanks, I don’t suppose you would you be free for lunch tomorrow?’ I asked ‘There’s something I would like to discuss with you.’

‘Yes, of course, I’m going to be in the office for most of the day. I understand we’re all going clubbing on Saturday, and I’ll want to hear how you got on with Richard this morning.’

~o~O~o~

The practice session for the Charleston went really well. The other dancers involved were all happy with my plans and several of the ladies admired my outfit. The three other couples were able to leave a space centre stage to enable Alan and I to perform our one-minute solo insert to the dance. Alan had clearly been practicing his tap dancing and he was able to provide a respectable intro to my more ambitious routine. This went equally well and I got a round of applause from the other dancers and one or two spectators after we had finished. Alan also asked my plans for the Tango, but I told him that I was still working on them. We had a full ten days left before the performance and so he wasn’t too anxious.

Sarah was sitting at the edge of the hall, looking a little glum, no doubt sorry for what she was missing as a result of her accident. I therefore went over to talk with her.

‘Hi Sarah, what did you think?’

‘It was great. I’d really no idea that you were going to turn into such a good dancer.’

‘Thanks, I’ve never really had the chance to show off before. But I’m no better dancer than you were, or indeed will be again as soon as your leg is healed.’

‘Perhaps,’ she replied sounding unconvinced, ‘but that is still likely to be some time yet,’ she replied sadly.

‘Is there any news about when your leg can come out of plaster?’ I asked.

‘I asked them during my last appointment. Unfortunately it will not be until the beginning of December before the cast comes off. Then there will be the need for physiotherapy. With luck and determination, I might be back on the dance floor in time for the New Year’s Eve Ball.’

‘I am sorry, if I can help in any way please let me know.’

‘You are already helping a lot, and doing a great job.’

~o~O~o~

I arrived home at ten thirty. Mum was more interested in hearing how the dancing practice session had gone before she went to bed so there was no need for me to discuss my day at work. This was just as well as I was still not sure what I thought about it. In fact I spent an hour or more going through the events of the last few weeks in my mind trying to work out what I felt about it all before eventually falling asleep.

~o~O~o~

Next time:

Thanks to Bronwen for editing and to everyone else for comments and kudos which are always appreciated.Louise

up
241 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

excellent story.

excellent story.

More and more......

D. Eden's picture

You can see that Michelle is real and Mike is just a facade.

I can't wait to see how Michelle reacts to the upcoming clubbing date! That''s not only a much less controlled environment for her, but it will be interesting to see how she reacts to the attentions of both Richard and other men.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Michelle is doing wellas a woman, and also

seems to be doing well in her new work situation.

Wonderful entertainment. I suppose I should read my comments before saving

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

going out as "friends"

sounds like fun, but will "friends" turn into something more ?

DogSig.png

Well for Richard, this is...

A bold move. For Michelle on the other hand, it's just another day at the office! Michelle has made the transition to womanhood remarkably well! Clubbing in the next installment should be interesting, but I'm betting non-eventful. Louise dear still lovin' it! Loving Hugs Talia

I get the impression that

I get the impression that Michelle has always been there, just hidden in Mike's brain, waiting for some catalyst to have Michelle come out. Seems she is out in force now and will not be returned any time soon.

great story so far

but I was hopping for a Helen connection.
keep up the great work, thanks

The plot seems to be coalescing around Richard & Michelle

That is disappointing as I had always hoped that Helen and Michelle would get together. Michelle is still Mike under the silks after all.

I know I'm behind the time in my reading, but school and dating are time consuming, I'll catch up.

Toddy Bear

GO for IT Girl !!

Richard is very interested, and knows both Mike and Michelle. Think ! You are interested in Him also. " this could be the start of a beautiful relationship ". You know, "a kiss is just a kiss". We'll find out, won't we clubbing on Saturday ?
Sorry, Casablanca is the best movie ever made ! "Oh Sam, play it again, won't you ?" OMG, wouldn't that be great dance music ?
Cefin