The Angry Mermaid 117 or Y Morforwyn Dicllon 117

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Elements: 

TG Themes: 

Other Keywords: 

Permission: 

Drustina embarks on an armed reconnoitre of the north Cambrian coast. A brief encounter with the Viking blockade force outside Aber Dyfrdwy gives some of her commanders a chance to hone their battle and command skills.

The Angry Mermaid 117
Or
Y Morforwyn Dicllon 117

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Liverpool_Bay.png

Chester today showing intact walls._0.png

Dee Estuary..jpg

Having decided a strategy, they were forced to kick their heels for a few days as the winds chose to come from the North-east; this would mean head-winds through Aber Menai and that would compound the navigational dangers. Drustina favoured a nocturnal passage through Aber Menai passage with a following South-westerly wind for this would difficult navigation but easy sailing.

Eventually the weather settled into its normal pattern and the prevailing South-westerly resumed blowing. Drustina was doubly pleased when it brought a modest fog for company and visibility was reduced to a mile. It meant that any patrols would not sight them until Drustina’s force was within a mile and by that time her squadron would be perfectly poised to overwhelm a single Norse warship. Drustina reasoned they would be unlikely to meet with more than two or three patrol ships at any one time until they arrived at the blockade line that probably stretched from Pen-y-Gwynt to Wirral; right across the Aber Dyfrdwy.

Seizing the opportunity the Lioness sailed that very afternoon. This brought her to the southern entrance of Madog’s Arse just as night was falling exactly as she had hoped. Now her flotilla would be almost invisible to any watchers on the shore and certainly unidentifiable. As her commanders followed closely behind her they began to realise just why she had emphasised this tactic. The high, forested, rocky shores closed in and each commander was desperately thankful for the tiny cowled lantern Drustina had ordered them to show. The tiny glow was just visible from each stern to the following vessel immediately behind. This tactic compelled each ship to follow in close order directly in line astern as the ships threaded their way between the rocks and whirlpools. In the stygian blackness the other commanders could only wonder at the sucking and gurgling tide rips as they placed each of their ships directly into the hands of their leader.

Eventually the shadows softened and the sky widened as the forested shores receded and the straits widened to the north. The flotilla had made the passage without harm and each commander had cause to admire and respect their captain’s skills. Once clear of the straits and back in open sea, Carl came alongside the Lioness.

“I think I’m glad I couldn’t see the rocks back there. How many times have you made that passage?”

“Probably more than a hundred,” Drustina replied. “My twin sister and I used to sail on these waters all the time; night and day.
This is my back yard dear Saxon and I’m determined to get it back.”

Carl smiled grimly for he could sense the iron in the Lioness’s words. She spoke again.

“The next big headland is Pen-y-Gogarth; the Vikings call it The Orme, some sort of mythical monster apparently.”

“Is it dangerous?” Carl asked.

“Not really, there are no outlying shoals and it makes a good approach marker for the Aber Conwy. I’m betting the Vikings have a base there because the river forms a sheltered bend just inside the mouth. We have not the time to attack it so I’m steering to pass a few miles further north. This fog will hide us and reduce the chances of being discovered. I want to be approaching Aber Clwyd just before day-break so that the blockade ships will be silhouetted by the morning sun and we’ll be approaching from the shadows. Hopefully they’ll think we are as Dorvan suggested; an armed, Viking supply convoy.”

Carl nodded and sheered away to convey the plan to other commanders.

In the darkness the high rocky mass of Pen-y-Gogarth came and went and each ship could make out its bulk as it blocked out the low altitude stars to the south. There was also the soft rumble of the breaking waves on the rock but the Lioness had assured them it was safe offshore.

They were slightly ahead of schedule when they finally arrived off Aber Clwyd and Drustina eased canvas to slow the convoy down. She explained to her commanders.

“The shoals and sand banks from here to Aber Dyfrdwy are complex and they shift with each storm. We will need daylight to navigate into the wide estuary but first we must neutralise the blockade and I have no idea how many Viking ships will be enforcing the blockade.”

Udris suggested they carry on until the met with any blockade ships as he reasoned.

“Wherever the block ships are cruising will be safe water for they are patrolling every day and will know where the sandbanks are. Surely if we can find them while it is still fairly dark, we will enhance our prospects of surprising them. The mermaids are shallow, that’s one of their main advantages.”

Drustina fully understood Udris’s thoughts but it was something she had thought best left unsaid. She put the idea to her other commanders with the rider explaining the dangers. Other ideas came back and eventually a modified plan was hatched whereby two of the Mermaids would seek out any patrol ships and see if they could act as bait. The idea being to try and draw some of the blockading ships south and west into the morning shadows while some of Drustina’s flotilla would go north and cut them off from the main patrol. If they could chop the patrolling force into smaller segments and destroy it by a process of attrition, theirs would be an easier task. Inevitably, Drustina had to be the decoy ship for only she had intimate knowledge of the perilous banks and currents that existed throughout the bay and estuaries off the Wirral Peninsular.

From the Shadows in the west, Drustina’s flotilla eventually spotted three Viking longships loitering in the Mostyn Deeps which was right in the centre of the Aber Dyfrdwy. They could only be the picket vessels that ensured the river Dee (Dyfrdwy) remained unused. Her knowledge of the main banks in the estuary told her that the blockading ships were basically constrained to the deep channel during the low water as where all other ships. If they wanted to rendezvous with Drustina’s ships there was only one route along the deep channel. Whatever their intentions, they were constrained to that single strip of water for the duration of low water and low water was about three hours away. The river Dee (Dyfrdwy) was treacherous on the ebb tide because the drying banks were changed with every tide. No ship could safely leave leave the Mostyn deep for that provided the only constant, certain, location of deep water. At low water huge swathes of the estuary were nought but sand and Drustina knew the tide was ebbing. The three blockade ships had nowhere to go and Drustina outnumbered them over four to one. She shouted across to Heliox who was closest.

“Pass the message. Sail straight towards them as if we were a friendly convoy resupplying our bases, I’m hoping they’ll presume we come bearing gifts ... well supplies anyway.”

“Wouldn’t they be expecting a regular visit?” Heliox observed.

“Who knows? In the fog of war, or war preparations, the best arrangements can go astray.”

Drustina turned to Gisela.

”How do you feel about lying to your countrymen?”

“I did it when we were sailing home last autumn.”

Drustina nodded thoughtfully.

“Yes, you did and that convinces me you are truly on my side. This time I’m going to trust you implicitly.”

“Is this some sort of test?” Gisela asked.

“Frankly Gisela, yes. Sometimes a leader has to take a risk, a gamble. I’m gambling that you’ve seen what mayhem your countrymen cause and you want to see it end. That is my ambition.”

“But the Saxons have also brought mayhem; they have driven your people, the Celts to the very ends of Britannia, the rocks and mountains, Cambria, Dumnoniia, Scotia and Cumbria.”

“That was before my time Gisela. You’re right of course, yes, the Saxons did spread mayhem. But now we are assimilated to some small degree. Our peoples mix and trade and marry of course.”

“Mmmm, yes of course; Carl.” Gisela mused. “A match made by the gods.”

“A match made by war my princess; a match made by war and shared hardships.”

“But he’s not the father of your children is he?”

“Not yet princess but hopefully he will be ... once this bloody war is over. My fight with the Vikings is personal, they killed my family. Carl still hopes to find his brothers and sisters. He believes they are somewhere in Britannia. Anyway; enough of my maudlin, the issue now is your willingness to deceive your kinsmen.”

“I’ve told you before Lioness, I count them no longer as my kinsmen. The battles of Ynys Whyte and Hibernia taught me. Besides, even if I went over to them, what do you think my father would do to me? He sentenced me to what he thought was death when I was only fifteen summers.”

Drustina nodded slowly, perhaps she had been harsh by questioning the princess’s loyalty but it always paid to check all the angles. She decided to trust her with the deception.

“Very well comrade, you’d better join Dorvan in his longship and do all the negotiating. If the picket ship wants to speak to Dorvan tell him you are the translator and Dorvan’s long-ships are Hibernian mercenaries who do not speak Norse.”

“It should work, but you’d better be close by.”

“We’ll be right on your quarter still making pretence of being a store ship. The leather covers will look like a load of stores. If he tries to come close towards you, we will make our way between you; then the fighting starts.”

“It should work; there is not much room in that channel.”

“Don’t worry; let the mermaid ships do the manoeuvring they are shallower draughts. You just sail on by whilst indicating that the store ships are following. Hopefully you’ll get past the first one before they catch on.”

Gisela looked rightfully nervous but agreed to the plan and crossed over to the Irish prince’s captured long-ship.
Once the plan was made known to all the ships, the flotilla pressed forward beating against the ebbing tide until they were within earshot of the leading blockade ship. Gisela opened up the negotiating by calling across the water.

“We have stores and equipment for you from Bail-ar-y-Claith. Where is the nearest safe haven to transfer?”

The Viking commander hesitated then explained.

“We cannot all leave our post. Normally we re-supply in Meols on the Wirral shore or Mostyn on the Cambrian shore.”

Gisela could hardly believe her good luck as she quickly altered her plan. However, she slowed down so that Drustina could hear the negotiations as the Viking princess shouted her instructions to the Norseman.

“Very well, we might have to re-supply one ship at a time. Do you want to despatch one ship to follow me and two of the store ships.”

“To which port?”

“In this wind the Cambrian shore would be best for your ship. When will you have water enough?”

“The tide is ebbing; we will have to wait for the turn of the tide. It will be five to six hours from now.”

“Very well, can I take the first supplies and go inside your picket line.”

“Be my guest. You can anchor to the south of the last ship.”

Drustina could hardly believe their luck. Gisela had just managed to enable the Mermaid ships to pass the first picket and get amongst the three Viking blockaders without a single arrow being fired. She then went even further and Drustina was forced to admire the princess’s ingenuity as the girl continued the conversation while her men held water with their oars.

“You can see we have supplies for the other ships, are they to the north or up the River Dee?”

“They are anchored between Hilbre Holm and the Wirral the visibility is poor in that area because of the fog so they are covering the northern gap. You can never tell when these Saxon bastards might try and break out.”

“Aye, isn’t that the truth!” Gisela replied as Drustina muttered to herself.

“Don’t push your luck young lady we’re already further forward than I ever imagined.”

The Viking commander then asked.

“What news from Baile-ar-y-Claith?”

“They are preparing to invade Chester. They haven’t decided whether to come via the Dee or the Mersea!”

“The Dee would be better; our ships could reach right up to the fortress.”

“Yes, but it’s a massive fortress and the Roman walls still protect it, besides, many of our land forces will have to cross from the north shore of the Mersea and then march south across the Wirral. There’s a lot of marshy ground around Chester so moving the army will be slow. I agree with you a river attack from the Dee is probably best but Harald needs all his forces to meet those bastard kings Edrinor and Ethelbert.”

“Any news on that sorceress bitch? There was a rumour she’s joining the fight with a Cambrian army.”

“I’ve not heard anything of her. She’s a clever bitch and needs watching.” Gisela replied as she looked towards Drustina’s ship with a pleading expression.

By now, Drustina’s flotilla couldn’t have been better positioned as four ships had positioned themselves around each blockader and two stood off to the sea to render assistance where needed. She gave the signal and all hell broke loose on the Viking blockaders.
The first massed salvo of arrows almost ended the battle before the blockaders had even realised they had an enemy. Even as the hundreds of bows were drawn for the second devastating strike many Vikings had yet to realise what had happened. It was only after the second salvo had poured in that the survivors recovered their presence of mind and resourcefulness to take cover. Only as the third salvo was drawn and poised to be released did the blockaders begin to respond. Even that response was nought but an ineffectual scramble to gather their shields, don whatever armour they could lay hand to, and then stand to manning the sides as they stood ready to repel boarders. By this time the three blockading crews were outnumbered by a factor of ten to one with their defences at sixes and sevens while Drustina’s warriors were at full preparedness. The final strike was almost a formality as each of Drustina’s ships adopted its pre-arranged attack based on each vessel’s strengths and weaknesses. The captured Viking longships slammed their heavy hulls against the blockader’s undermanned oars while the mermaid class ships attacked the blockader’s sterns to disable the control centres of each ship.

Once again, massed arrow assaults proved irresistible and by the time the blockade ships were boarded, their crews had been reduced to a handful in each ship. Having been one of the first to board the commanding blockader, Drustina offered quarter ... fully expecting it to be refused in the old Viking tradition of dying in combat to win entry into Valhalla. To her surprise all three ships accepted her offer. She stopped partly with uncertainty and partly with disbelief.

“Are you saying you surrender?”

The commander, who had but moments before been talking with Gisela, lowered his sword and spread his arms in frustrated resignation.

“There’s no point in carrying on is there. It would be a waste of life. Before I surrender my sword, I would know what you would do with us.”

Drustina was nonplussed, she had not expected to be encumbered with prisoners and she had made no provision for dealing with them. She cursed as Gisela brought her ship in close.

“What’s going on Lioness?”

“These men; they want to surrender.”

Gisela stared disbelievingly.

“Don’t believe them, it’s some sort of trap! Kill them.”

By the gods’ Drustina mused silently, ‘she’s more bloodthirsty than the men.’

“I can’t do that, I’ve offered them quarter.”

“Well make sure they cannot escape and cause mayhem. Cut their right hands off or something.”

“I can’t do that either, I’ve offered them quarter. I have to make them prisoners if they accept.”

“So how do you intend to guard them? We didn’t even bring any manacles.”

Drustina fell silent. The only option was to continue up the river to Chester and hand them over to the city authorities. Having

decided this was the only practical solution she explained to the Viking co mmander.

“You have two choices, throw down your swords and accept being taken to Chester as captives or carry on fighting.”

There was a distinct murmur of discord as some men wanted to fight to the death whilst other, older men were prepared to become captive. The Lioness’s reputation had preceded her as a fair and tolerant jailer. The majority were behind their commander and ready to opt for captivity under the Lioness’s sufferance. When they finally elected to become captive at Drustina’s mercy, Gisela sniggered.

“Your reputation for clemency encumbers you leader, foist by your own petard!”

“Shut up and gather their swords princess. Make sure they are trussed up tighter than chickens. I have to talk with the other commanders.”

Gisela grinned to herself as she supervised the securing of the prisoners while Drustina called the other commanders to join her in Dorvan’s larger longship. After a brief discussion they agreed to take two of the Mermaids upriver as far as Chester to garner what news and information they could. Drustina and Heliox would take on this task while Udris and Carl would try and visit the River Mersea to see what they could see. The rest of their ships plus the three newly captured blockade ships would firstly determine what the other blockaders were doing around Hilbre Island and probably attack them because they had vastly superior numbers now they had three extra ships. They would also provide extended patrols to keep in touch with Carl and Udris.

Gisela was pleased that she had been given command of the largest blockader for it demonstrated beyond dispute that Drustina now trusted her. While Carl, Udris and Dorvan organised the supervision of the Afon Dyfrdwy, Drustina and Heliox embarked upon the navigation upriver to Chester. Initially the were sailing over the low water and the navigation was tricky but soon after the tide had turned, they made good progress as the inbound flood bore them along.

They arrived at Chester in the late afternoon to cause first consternation then jubilation as the Saxon Garrison realised their arrival demonstrated that the blockade had been broken.

In the garrison commander’s quarters Drustina explained the situation in the Celtic Seas while he produced the most recent information of Ethelred’s march north from Wessex and Edrinor’s preparations to cross the Pennine Hills. The commander explained.

“The Mercian king is a very cautious man Lioness; he has sent messengers to say he has divided his forces so that Half remain on the eastern side of the country lest our intelligence is wrong while he is despatching the other half to march on Chester from the East. The last I hear, Ethelred was a day south of New Sarum while Edrinor’s forces were three days east of Mancunium. He has the hardest slowest march in terms of terrain but his distance is a lot less. I anticipate both armies to arrive in Chester within five to ten days.”

So Lioness; what of the Viking armies? Have you any new intelligence?”

“I have no idea where Harald Coldblood is but his Hibernia cousins are still in Baile ar y Claith ... or they were when we passed Ynys Fon. I’m not too worried about the Hibernian Vikings because they will have to rendezvous with their Scots cousins before landing anywhere. They only comprise about a quarter of Harald’s forces and won’t be too much of a threat on their own. Provided Ethelred and Edrinor can join up before meeting Coldblood, they will have men enough to match him. My forces are a bonus for Ethelred.”

“What are your plans Lioness.”

“I won’t discuss them with you because that risks two things. Firstly, it might compromise Ethelred’s and my battle plan; secondly it might compromise your actions if you expect me to turn up at some particular spot.”

The garrison commander nodded agreeably.

“The need to know principle. Not a bad tactic. Now what about these Viking prisoners you’ve brought.”

“Have you got a big dungeon because there are about a dozen? I want them treated properly they are my prisoners.”

“Very well Lioness, now shall we eat?”

“I’ve no time for a feast. We must get back before the Hibernian and Scots Vikings join forces with Coldblood otherwise, we might be stuck in the estuary all bottled up and not able to get out. I’ll just have a snack with my men.”

For the first time the Garrison commander realised that Drustina had laid her neck on the line and there was a very real possibility of the combined Viking fleet meeting with her own small flotilla. He quickly organised some hot food and had it sent down to the two visitors tied up at the town quay. Drustina thanked him and as dusk was falling she bid farewell to Chester. At least her men were warm and well fed.

~~oo000oo~~

up
111 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Vikings surrender?

What a disgraceful bunch.

Gisela did a great job. Guess she's proven herself again. Hoping she's at Drustina's side (or back) when she encounters Harald this time.