The Angry Mermaid 118 or Y Morforwyn Dicllon 118

Printer-friendly version

A chapter of preparations, strategies and lessons.

Drustina rejoins the main fleet and attacks the small settlement of Conwy on the north Cambrian coast. The exercise is a 'practice run' used to train her warriors and find any weaknesses that would embarrass the Celts in the heat of a full battle.

The capture of Norse wives of the Viking occupiers of Conwy gives Drustina a chance to teach her warriors how to treat women.

North Wales Coast.jpg

NB. Aber Mersea = River Mersey Estuary
Aber Dyfrdwy= River Dee Estuary.
Aber Menai = Menai Straights.
Aber Conwy = River Conwy Estuary

The Angry Mermaid 118
Or
Y Morforwyn Dicllon 118.

To Drustina’s relief, the trip down the Afon Dyfrdwy proved uneventful mainly because the fog had returned. The visibility was enough to enable them to spot the sand banks but once down in the estuary proper, the English and Welsh shores were invisible. The ebbing tide speeded their return and when she reached the picket line, she was relieved to find all her ships and commanders present. After ensuring that all the men were fed she had a long chat with Heliox and Carl about the choices available to Cold-blood to assemble his forces. Carl explained his thoughts as to why he thought Cold-blood would choose the Mersea to land his troops ashore.

“We managed to Dash into the Mersea but there were about a dozen longships stationed there mostly anchored close to the north shore. There is a sandstone ridge that provides high, dry land where he could easily set up his preparation camp. He owns that side of the river and he can assemble his forces in safety before deciding what to do. The river is deep and fast flowing but the route to Chester from the Wirral peninsular is essentially dry and hard until one approaches the city walls.
There is flat marshy ground to the west in the Dee estuary and it sweeps around to the north in a crescent to the north of Chester before changing to flat drier ground to the north east of the city. We didn’t get much of chance to have a good look but there’s a deep inlet on the Wirral side of the Mersea and this would provide a useful place to land his troops and moor his ships safely out of the tideway. The currents in the river are very strong and the river scours the channel into a deep fast-flowing throat. We didn’t get any further in for the Vikings on the north shore were preparing to investigate us. We only just managed to slip away along the Wirral side as they tried to block us in the river.”

Drustina listened thoughtfully and considered that Carl’s intelligence was sound. She checked a few more factors then put her observations forward.

“The Afon Dyfrdwy acts as a choke point further up towards Chester. Cold-blood would have trouble massing his ships at one point. His ships would be strung out all the way along the narrow river and as you say, it’s very marshy so he’ll have trouble re-assembling ashore. He could not concentrate his forces quickly enough to strike with a massive blow from the Afon Dyfrdwy. I’m thinking he’ll favour crossing the Afon Mersea in force and marching on Chester; probably to lay siege. His supply lines will be shorter than going all the way around the Wirral peninsular. How good was that inlet?”

“It’s quite wide at the mouth but tapers rapidly to a narrow, un-navigable creek about a quarter of a mile inland. He could land on both sides of the stream and quickly assemble on the dry ground just south. It’s an ideal place to land a surprise attack. Also the Mersea provides plenty of deep water to muster his whole fleet close to the landing areas. If I were him I’d choose the Mersea crossing option.” Carl concluded.

“So would I,” Drustina mused, “now we have to determine how and when to deploy our ships to bring the best benefits to Ethelred or Edrinor, who ever arrives first.”

“Could we not get messages to both kings advising them to rendezvous south of Chester and amass their forces?”

“We’ll need riders for that. They are each still about a week or so away from their objective. Then the riders have to return to us and there’s no knowing where we’ll be in a week. The scarcity of good communications is a bloody nuisance.”
Heliox shrugged philosophically.

“Well Udris has described the mountains that make up Northern Cambria.”

Drustina smiled somewhat patronisingly.

“I know what the mountains of my own country are like Heliox but Udris is quite right. A horse wouldn’t be much faster than a man. The mountain trails and passes are extremely rocky and steep. The best we can do is keep tabs on Harald’s ships and trust to Ethelred and Elsinore rendezvousing before Harald strikes.”

“Can’t we do anything to slow Harald down?”

“The best we can do is intercept the Scottish and Hibernian forces before they reach the Wirral Peninsula.” Carl suggested as he turned to Drustina then continued. “But first we have to gather all our ships together. Might I suggest we rejoin the main fleet?”

Drustina nodded, considering all the unknowns it seemed best to re-assemble all their ships so as to be best equipped and placed to do some damage before or during the impending attack on Chester. To this end they returned to the main fleet still anchored to the east of the Lleyn Peninsula.

On their return they were pleased to note that another dozen ships from Brithony had joined forces and they had been practising tactics best suited to their ships. Three of the Breton ships were copies of the Mermaids and Drustina was gratified to see that they had similar performances. She now had nearly two dozen mermaids at her disposal, an excellent number to be the eyes and ears of the fleet.

Her plan was to form a northern cordon of these ships to anticipate any attack or approach by Viking forces from Scotia or Ynys Mann. Approaches from Bail-ar-y-Claith would approach the rear of the fleet and forces could be readily mustered from the body of the fleet to confront any foe. Drustina’s intelligence told her the Hibernians only had about thirty or forty ships. By far the biggest danger lay to the north where Drustina had learned that Harald’s own Norse fleet had already combined with the Scottish Vikings to create a formidable foe. It was rumoured that this fleet might number two hundred ships or more while Drustina had but one hundred and fifty ships at best and ten of those were nought but supply ships ... slow lumbering merchantmen.

Their first tactic was to send half a dozen Mermaids to sail around Ynys Fon (Anglesey) in the hope of encountering any careless Viking ships travelling to or from Bail-ar-y- Claith and Ynys Mann. If they could minimise the Hibernian contribution before the Viking fleets rendezvoused, it would be one less problem to face later. To this end, a second cordon of another six Mermaids was despatched under Carl’s command to sail close to the Hibernian shores in the hope of enticing a response from the Norse king Forden who occupied Bail-ar-y-Claith or as the Norsemen called it, Duhblin.

At the same time, Drustina and Udris spent a day getting other commanders to familiarise themselves with the Aber Menai and its treacherous tides. By the day’s end, she had a dozen competent commanders who had successfully made the straits twice in both directions. There had been a couple of hair-raising moments but essentially, the Lioness had enough commanders capable of scuttling between Ynys Fon and Cambria if they were pursued by superior Viking forces. That evening all the forces rendezvoused just west of Pen-y-Gogarth (Great Orme,)

~o00o~

Aboard the Angry Mermaid Drustina held a council of war with her senior commanders.

“So what news of Hibernia Carl?”

“We saw about a score of longship masts in the outer harbour and several in the inner harbour. We could not count them accurately but it seems your intelligence of about forty ships might be close to what they have. We have encountered no ships at sea during our sweep to the north and west. They seem to be marshalling their forces preparatory to sailing to meet up with the others.”

It was much as all had been expecting but now it remained for their leader to decide on a strategy. An accurate count had established that Drustina had fully one hundred and fifty five ships at her disposal but it was too soon to move upon the Aber Dyfrdwy or Aber Mersea yet. She repeated her main objective.

“I want to carry out a campaign of attrition in these days before the expected attack. For this we can divide our forces by keeping the Longships together as the main heavyweight punch whilst the mermaids can run sweeps around the Southern and western Celtic sea to mop up any small forces they encounter. It is my over-riding ambition to catch King Forden’s Hibernian fleet at sea and nail it before it can rendezvous with Cold-blood and the Scottish Viking King Constin’s ships.
Here is my plan.”

The commanders pressed in closer as she explained.

“Success in any sea battle rests on good intelligence; that is what the Mermaid ships must endeavour to supply. My plan is to set all the Mermaid ships to patrolling the area from Bail-ar-y-Claith to Ynys Mann then South to Pen y Gogarth such that we place a cordon that denies Cold-blood access to our corner of the Celtic Sea that is from Pen y Gogarth around Ynys Fon to Lleyn Peninsula.
Inside that section I want to try and recover the settlement at Aber Conwy. I traded there several times before we were attacked by the Vikings and it was always a good place to buy corn. If we can secure some food supplies it will make us a more efficient force. Tomorrow morning, unless events overtake us, I intend to attack Aber Conwy. We have over fifty longships so we should easily capture the settlement and remove any Viking occupation. A small step against the Vikings but a big step for me.”

After a general murmur of consensus, they fell to discussing other ideas until darkness enveloped them and each commander returned to his or her squadron. Drustina was getting comfortable curled up between her favourite mare’s legs when Gisela crouched beside her.

“Is there room for a little one in there?”

“Be my guest provided you don’t mind the smell, at least it’s warm.”

“That’s what I was hoping,” Gisela whispered as she did her best to get comfortable.

It wasn’t the most comfortable of nights the princess had ever spent but eves of battle rarely are.

Before dawn they crept as close as they could to avoid detection then as the first rays of light cracked the eastern sky they made the final dash for the Conwy Estuary. The sudden and unexpected arrival of fifty enemy ships quickly subdued the modest settlement without much fighting. Drustina was quietly pleased that her training exercises had paid off. The landing had been a textbook attack.

As they assessed their spoils, Udris presented several dozen prisoners to Drustina, mostly women and children but with a smattering of very old men.

“What do we do with these?”

Drustina had been talking to some Cambrian natives and she stopped in mid sentence as the realisation hit her.


‘What was to be done with any prisoners?’
She wondered as she secretly wished her warriors had taken no prisoners. Then she mentally scolded herself for such a thought! ‘These were women and children!

“Prisoners!” She gasped. “Shit!”

The last thing Drustina wanted was to be slowed down by a ship-load of prisoners. She cursed silently before hastily speaking to the only seemingly male Celt who appeared to be the most able amongst the Cambrians she had freed. He was quite an effeminate fellow but intelligent and articulate

“Is there any sort of village council that could represent your people?”

“None my lady. The Vikings ruled with the sword.”

She cursed again before rushing to a decision.

“Very well, choose some leaders from amongst you and try to run the village until my return. Guard the prisoners but do not abuse them!”

“Where are you going my lady?”

“Never mind where I’m going. We are here to purchase supplies and we’ll be gone as soon as my ships are re-victualled. What stocks have you got stored in the village?”

“There is a Viking granary at the end of the quay. I note your men are guarding it even as we speak.”

“Naturally ... there will be no looting. The first duty of your council will be to take control of all Viking property and where possible, refund any stolen or confiscated property to its rightful owner. Now get your council organised, might I suggest it is comprised as the old Celtic councils were; that is with women and men represented.”

The Celt frowned then grinned.

“It will have to be my lady, there are almost no Celtic men left in the village. Most were taken as slaves.”

“How did you avoid being taken?”

The individual’s expression darkened momentarily then his shoulders sagged with apparent defeat.

“I am not uuuuhhm as other men my lady, the Vikings called me a she-bitch and rejected me as a slave.”

Drustina was already beginning to grasp the situation and she was blunt in her observation.

“So they used you as a ...”

The Celt’s eyes lowered as the lower lip trembled slightly. After a painful hesitation the Celt finished Drustina’s sentence.

“A prostitute ma-am.”

“Bastards!”

The Celt’s expression eased considerably as the individual realised that the strange warrior queen seemed sympathetic; for even the Cambrian villagers had ostracised the prostitute. Drustina recognised the individual’s dilemma so she removed the first obstacle very publicly in front of the assembled Celtic women. She asked the effeminate Celt very loudly for all to hear and understand.

“How shall I address you my fellow Celt, he or she?”

After hesitating and glancing nervously towards the assembled women the Celt’s head wagged uncertainly before seeking clarification.

“I don’t understand why you ask Lioness, the holy men, the villagers and even the Viking oppressors, they all say I am a man.”
Drustina seized a rare opportunity to advance her own feelings.

“No Celt! It is not what others say, no matter who they are. Be they Holy men, judges , kings or even healers; only you can decide what you are and how others shall address you, unless you already have some special title or function.”

A tense silence descended on the assembled villagers. As the effeminate Celt stumbled fearfully over his words.

“You mean I ...?”

“I’ll ask again and you are free to say; do I address you as he or she?”

The Celt almost croaked the answer such was the relief and emotion.

“Call me she lioness, though my body parts are mostly more male than female.”

“And what body part is your head? What are your thoughts and your feelings?”

The Celt looked up with relieved disbelief.

“A woman’s thoughts ma-am, a woman’s!”

“Then go amongst your fellow villagers as you wish.”

“I go as a woman!” The Celt almost squealed with delight.

Drustina shrugged and turned to the other villagers.

“She is a woman, treat her thus. Should you question this, then I will willingly enlighten you as to my own secrets and why I do this thing. Are there any amongst you who object?”

A woman at the back spoke up.

“He has always been my older brother why should I deem her a sister now?”

“Because she is.” Drustina answered simply then took it further. “Step forward girl, and I will treat with you privately.”

The woman stepped forward hesitantly for having revealed her relationship to her liberated brother she was now nervous of somehow inviting the Lioness’s wrath. Drustina smiled to encourage her as she stopped at the front of the assembled women.

“Don’t be afraid young lady. I’m not about to eat you or something but you of all people must be taught. Is there a private room nearby?”

Several women pointed to an inn on the quayside so Drustina led the sister into a private room whilst inviting two other women, an old woman and a young mother with her child to bear witness. Inside the inn she explained to the sister and the other women plus the uncomprehending child..

“I don’t know if you have heard of the Lioness of Carthage but be assured, I am she. Have you heard of her?”

The three women nodded while the child simply stared at the strange woman who wore britches and a female cuirass with breast forms. Drustina continued.

“If you wish, I will reveal my duality to you; that is why I invited three of you here to maintain and demonstrate probity. Are you willing to bear witness?”

The women’s eyes widened as much with anxiety as with salacious expectation. After a brief hesitation they exchanged nervous glances then the sister of the effeminate Celt nodded. Before revealing her secrets Drustina cautioned them.

“Firstly these swords on my back are not toys, if any of you make an untoward or uninvited approach these swords will speak for me and swiftly, I am not to be toyed with and you can confirm that with any of the warriors out there. Now firstly I remove my cuirass to open my jerkin. Then under my chemise I have these.”

As she spoke, she manipulated her fingers and the front of the cuirass unbuckled to slip easily off her breasts. She unbuttoned her sword harness then next her jerkin. Finally, underneath lay Drustina’s rare silk chemise; lighter even than damask and just as transparent. Her breasts were readily visible but Drustina took the bull by the horns and slipped the chemise off to reveal her
scarred but still youthful, rounded breasts. For a brief moment the women’s eyes glanced at the breasts but such things were commonplace to them. Their attention was more importantly drawn to the sword scars that marred her attributes. Drustina then span around to reveal the cruel disfigurement of the scar to her fore-arm and the burns on her back and neck. At these sights the women gasped in disbelief. Drustina continued.

“My reputation ladies, was not come by lightly nor was the loyalty of my men but the next part might perhaps distress you, do not be alarmed.”

So saying she unbelted her britches and lowered them to finally reveal what to the three women was a shocking exposure.

They squealed partly from offence and partly from fear and it was several seconds before Drustina brought calm to reign.

“Do not be afeard ladies, that is the only male thing about me, behind that, here, is my femininity and yes; both parts work. I am both a mother and a father.”

She turned again and bent over to reveal her vagina lips behind her scrotum whilst also revealing the cruellest scar of all. She explained about the scar Blueface had left her.

“That cut ladies, was the almost fatal wound by Blue-face’s mighty sword. I suffered it when I was but a lad and it’s cut gave me and my healers the first intimation that I was not as others down there. I am both man and woman but I am preferably a woman in my living. I am married to Carl, the huge giant of a man with the yellow hair to whom you all rushed when we finally rid you of your oppressors. He accepts me and treats me as a woman and more importantly his wife and battle comrade.”

So saying she quickly redressed and returned to the business of bringing order to the village. Her behaviour quickly reinforced her words to the women, it was obvious that the Lioness, the warrior queen was a beloved and respected leader of the whole band. Her word was obviously law so the question of the effeminate Celt’s identity was not to be raised again.

With order established, she went on a tour of the settlement and she noticed a preponderance of red cloth amongst the gowns of the women. It gave her an idea. She located the source of the cloth and was pleased to learn there were several large bolts of the material available. With no more ado she purchased all the cloth and set the womenfolk of Aber Conwy to making large red patches to attach to the sails of all her ships.

That afternoon with some semblance of organisation arranged amongst the Celtic villagers, Drustina returned to her station to the west of Pen y Gogarth and met the messenger bearers from the mermaid cordon.

“The Hibernian ships are massing in the outer harbour, Udris believes they are preparing to sail.”

“We’ll be ready for them,” Drustina replied as she handed out the large red patches to as many of her ships as she could.

The longship crews could readily see the necessity for identification because they closely resembled the Viking warships. The Mermaid crews only adopted them because their leader insisted. By the following morning as Drustina’s forces assembled north of Ynys Fon, the patches had been distributed around the whole fleet.

~oo000oo~

up
89 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Corn

For those unsure. The corn mentioned in this epic is not the maize of North America. In Europe before maize was discovered, corn was the catchall term for any grain, be it wheat, barley or oats.

It appears

It appears that the fun, the work, the battle is about to commence. The Hibernians are about to receive their comuppance. If Drustina can find crews for the Hibernian ships, her fleet will almost equal Harald's. The next few chapters should be exciting.

Great job, Bev.

Much Love,

Valerie R