Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2314

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2314
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“I’m thinking of showing, Inherit the Wind to my class next term.”

“Whit’s that when it’s at hame?”

“A play based upon Clarence Darrow’s defence of Scopes.”

“Whit?”

“The monkey trial.”

“Monkey?”

“Daddy, the one in America where someone was charged under the State law about actively teaching evolution.”

“Och, that one.”

“Yes, with Spencer Tracey as Darrow.”

“Why are ye showin’ it?”

“It’s part of the history of the understanding of evolution.”

“Aye, the McCarthy version o’ it.”

“That as well.”

“As long as ye teach them whit’s required as well, I hae nae problem wi’ it.”

“Good, that’s settled then, I’ll see if I can find a copy of it on DVD.” I went back to my office and found a copy for a fiver on Amazon and ordered it. I suspect by using the multinational I was driving more nails into the coffins of small scale vendors, but then I saw something about a major rival that was even less edifying.

I would now have to watch the video and consider how I could use it as a teaching aid, have a series of questions to ask them either to do as an essay or in discussion groups or whatever. As long as it got them thinking about the process of evolution and how nature has used the system as natural selection to get to where we are now.

Humans tend to think of themselves as the top of the tree, the most sophisticated creatures alive. In some ways we are, but even marauding elephants cause less environmental damage than the average human. Surely if we were really sophisticated we’d be as efficient as we are but with less damage to the planet, instead I suspect we’re just greedy rapacious and ruthless predators and despoilers with the ability to transcend our baser natures but little motivation. Climate change when it’s far too late, may provide that motivation just before we become extinct.

On that pleasant thought I went to collect the four mouseketeers. They were getting excited as school finished on Friday. I tried to remind them that exams started when they went back, and although none of them were doing important exams, such as GCSEs, all exams were important. Trish wasn’t worried, Livvie was pretty competent as well, Meems was quietly confident and Danielle seemed the only one who was at all worried.

We dropped her off at football practice, I would collect her two hours later after I’d sorted out the rest of the bunch. David, hopefully, had created some delicious grub for dinner and it would be ready for all of us to eat on Danni and my return from the soccer team.

Trish was concerned by the religious homework, she had to compile a list of the ten commandments and seven deadly sins without using the internet. I was sure they’d be listed in the bible or Encyclopaedia Britannica—Daddy had a set in the lounge, though they weren’t used as often as they should be. There’s something very satisfying about researching for something in books, using indices and turning over pages, making notes and so on. Just clicking on, print on a computer screen might be easier and more convenient, but how much do people remember? If you have to make notes, you might retain a bit more.

I discussed where they might find information with Livvie and Trish as they both had to do the exercise, and were allowed to confer. Using books was something of a novelty to them except to read them as an end in itself. I had no problem with the latter exercise and both of them enjoyed reading, but neither was very confident about recording data extracted from books. I sat and helped them, showing them how to list a bibliography at the end of their work. At least we weren’t guilty of sloth, but there might have been an element of pride in my case as they grasped the concept of research very quickly. I wished some of my first year students did so half as effectively when it occurred to me that some of them had possibly had no training in research techniques or using a library. I’d speak to Tom about it tomorrow.

I noted that the missing aircraft was still missing and expected it to slip off the radar as a news item until something was found or something new relating to it happened. The media systems with their need to consume new news stories in order to provide for the twenty four/ seven news bulletins had moved on. Two stories which caught my attention, one with anger the other with a bit of self-righteousness was the poisoning of birds of prey in Scotland, mainly red kites; and the decision by government to not consider continuing the badger cull in England. The most recent evaluations had demonstrated what the critics had suggested from the beginning. It was ineffectual, badgers weren’t killed quickly or humanely and numbers were pure guesstimates. It had cost a lot of money to prove what the experts had said from the beginning, why government departments can’t see the bleeding obvious is mind boggling but not surprising. How senior civil servants can claim bonuses when many of the things they do ends in such a farce is scandalous. Why they should get bonuses in the first place is ridiculous and before they bring in performance related pay to teachers perhaps MPs and civil servants should be put on it, paying them the standard salary when they met their targets and not when they didn’t. Start at the top of the tree before they cascade it down to lesser mortals.

David had made us a very tasty risotto. I suspect we forget that the Italians make things other than pasta dishes and risotto is one of my favourites—especially the beef variety, which was what we had. It brought back memories of the Vesta packs of the same when I was a student, especially when they were on special offer in supermarkets. I ate probably more than was good for me, but they were easy to make if you had a frying pan and a knob of butter.

“What’s the orange stuff?” asked Trish as she stirred her meal with a fork.

“Paprika,” I answered her question.

“What’s that?”

“A mild pepper.”

“Oh, that’s all right then,” and she tucked into her dinner.

“Actually, it’s rust off the cemetery railings,” suggested Julie.

“Ewch,” said Trish now back to stirring her meal.

“It gives the food more body,” continued Julie teasing her sibling.

“Body—yuck,” said Trish and put down her fork.

“Please eat your dinner, David took some time to make this for us.”

“I’m not eating dead bodies,” Trish declared.

“Well live ones would jump off the plate,” suggested Danni smirking.

“Just eat your dinner, Trish; Julie please stop teasing your sister.”

“But it’s good fun, okay I lied, Trish.” Julie watched her sister pick up her fork and load another lot into her mouth before saying, “It’s not rust from the railings, it’s rust from the nails in the coffins.”

“What, toenails?” said Livvie with disgust and Trish promptly threw up over herself and part of the table.

It certainly didn’t help my appetite one bit.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
199 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I love how Trish tries so

thliwent's picture

I love how Trish tries so hard to play the ultra-smart girl but she gets taken for rides by her siblings so easy.

Actually doing some research using books

What a novel idea. I think the electronic age has dumbed us down to a certain degree in that regard.

What ever happened with the Couple that owned the store while Cathy was still Charlie and doing her studies while living in her flat?
I know, random question, but it just came to mind tonight for some reason.

Great writing as always Ang

Jackie

One advantage of old books

With old books, at least one has the advantage that at least the Author and the Publisher were in agreement as to the truth, or at least saleability of the work at the time of publishing.

Now days, one must cast a critical eye on anything on the internet as it could well be badly soured pablum.

Gwendolyn

Very True to Life

Lovely discussions at the dinner table with the intelligent children. Very true to life - I have dined with bright kids myself and noticed how they can tease one another, and they mostly tend to be very sensitive, like poor Trish, who is so upset at the suggestion she is eating the fingernails of dead people that she vomits. We had to put up with that sort of nonsense when I was growing up, particularly because as an "evacuee" I spoke with a different accent as the locals (explanation for the non-British reading this: During the World War 2, the population in Britain was moved about whether they wanted to be or not, families were separated even, it was a cause of much misery when sisters and brothers were sent separately to live with unsympathetic strangers who took them in because the state paid them to. I was lucky (!) because our house in London was bombed in the Blitz and after I was dug out of the ruins my Daddy managed to get us evacuated together, and Mummy, Daddy and I stayed together the whole time, with short intervals when he was dragged back into the army despite being a very sick person who could only do a desk job, having served 12 years in the army already, in pre-Nazi Germany and in India, where he picked up several nasty diseases. Because he was in charge of recycling the foods etc stored in secret underground hidey-holes where the government could go to hide in the event of our being invaded, we had to relocate quite often, and regional accents were much more marked in the different parts of Britain back then than they are today. If one spoke differently, one was identified as a foreigner, which meant one would be bullied and that nobody would be friends with one. I learned to change my accents quickly after a few moves, so in the long run it was an advantage for me. The working-class, East London accent I learned first and that my parents spoke, was a huge disadvantage for any British child to have, as everywhere else it got one identified as belonging to the criminal underworld!) Getting teased about what one was being fed was a favorite trick of the bullies one encountered, even with school lunches (called dinners by working-class kids).

I particularly loved your suggestion, Angharad, that people "in charge" have to reach all the goals of their jobs before being paid the whole of their inflated salaries, deductions being made for under-achievements. Of course, with the politicians we have trying to run things now, they would be having to pay us instead, as they are just not doing the job at all ! That is my opinion anyway, but as an Anarchist I dont agree with having any government trying to tell us all what we must or must not do. I am a bit extreme about such matters.

Briar

That's a challenging...

That's a challenging assignment - finding the 10 commandments... Why you may ask... (okay maybe not.) Because there is not just one list of the 10. They're listed in two different places in the bible to begin with. While they're close, they're not identical... Then, the list the Jews use, the Catholics use and most Protestants use are not quite the same (though the Jewish and Protestant versions are fairly close)... The one the Catholics leave of the list is the one about "Graven Images"... And, I suspect that the "correct" answer from the school's point of view ids likely the Catholic version. I wonder what the two girls come up with.

As to dinner conversation. *sighs* some folks can be quite cruel. Though the end result is not common... I wonder if Trish is allergic to something... Or if it's just the thoughts that were put into her head by Julie and then Livvy. *sighs*

Thanks,
Annette

Julie's teasing of

Trish bought back memories of a meal in London at the aptly named Crazy Cock Bulgarian restaurant, We were taken there by my daughter-in-law who comes originally from that part of the world, My choice was a dish called Stomach soup (yes honestly it did say that on the menu) it was very flavorsome dish which consisted of what we brits would call tripe seasoned with lots of garlic and spices, As i said earlier it tasted really nice, Although if you could have seen my fellow diners faces you would not have believed me.... Maybe Trish needs to learn judge a dish by what it tastes like not its description..

Kirri

It's a shame

she didn't throw up all over Julie.