Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 123

Printer-friendly version

Cathy has to work for a living and gets a shock!

Easy As Falling Out Of Bed.
by Bonzi's Mum,
part 1234567890.

I opened my eyes and Mary Miller was stood in front of me, wafting a folder to cause a draught on my face. "How do you feel now?"

"Dreadful, I'm still alive."

"Why wouldn't you want to be?"

"I had a feeling it would be quieter when I'm dead."

"What happens if you go you know where? It may be like a call centre."

"Oh don't," I said clutching my head.

"Headache?"

"A bit," I nodded regretting it almost immediately.

"Don't move, I'll get you an aspirin." She shoved the glass of water in my hand, which I sipped.

I could not believe that not only had I puked into my Professor's bin, but I had swooned in front of his secretary, and I'm not wearing a bloody corset.

"Here," she handed me a white tablet which could have been anything, but I swallowed it and finished the water. "He won't be back for at least half an hour, have a little snooze and see how you feel."

I felt too weak to protest and hardly before she'd gone out the door, I had turned sideways in the chair and was slipping into sleep. At one point I thought I heard voices but I couldn't be bothered to wake and see. Eventually my bladder woke me up, and I realised where I was. I stretched and looking around saw the professor working away at his computer.

"Ah, the sleeper awaketh! How do you feel?"

I yawned and feeling completely stupid, answered, "Can I tell you in a moment?" And staggered out of the door down the corridor and into the loos. After peeing and freshening myself up with cold water, I realised I had to go back to get my bag. Mary wasn't at her desk, so I had to knock and then enter his office.

"Sit and drink," he pointed to the mug of tea on the end of his desk.

"I'm so sorry Professor, I don't know what came over me."

"Morpheus, by the look of it."

"I'm sorry?" I replied.

"God of sleep, you were well locked up in his arms."

"I was?"

"Yep, even the phone didn't wake you and I've had three meetings in here since then."

"Oh no, you haven't have you?" I wailed, just how many had seen me shagged out in his chair.

"No of course not, I'm only joking. So drink your tea before I get Mary in to force feed you."

"Yessir," I picked up and sipped at the delicious liquid.

"Now what are we going to do with you?"

"In what way?" I felt a bit apprehensive.

"I want you to start doing some teaching."

"What!" I gulped, "But I don't have a teaching qualification," I protested.

"You have a masters, which is all that is required for adult courses. There's a book up there on what is involved, read and inwardly digest."

"I hate to sound ungrateful, but when will I have time to teach?" I barely had time to do the work I needed to do as it was.

"It will be one hour per week."

"What?"

"One hour per week. You will do a series on mammalian biology for a set of twenty sessions. The syllabus is there," he pointed at a back table behind me. "It's for pre-entry level, and you will do it at the local college. They don't have a biology teacher capable of this sort of stuff."

I was completely lost, "You mean these are people taking an entry qualification for uni?"

"Yes a pre-entry course, if they get enough points they can apply to do a degree, it's for those who missed out on A-levels."

"Why are you sending me?"

"Don't you want to do it?"

"I don't know."

"You'll get paid, on top of your research grant."

"I will?"

"Yes, it means I get your name on the university payroll."

"But I'm a student?"

"Yes a post grad student, which means you can teach up to degree level. When you get your PhD you can teach master's students and possibly supervise other doctoral work. I've got a student I want you to work with at the moment, she's struggling and I think would benefit from some tutoring."

"How am I supposed to fit all this in?" I gasped, "I'm struggling as it is."

"You train up a junior to do your field work."

"What?"

"Are you losing your hearing?"

"No sir."

"Right, well find a first or second year student who thinks those rabid furry things of yours look cute or something, preferably a male student or a male and female. You then supervise them, it's still your study, you just let some little minion do the spade work."

I stood and gawped.

"What happened when you were at Sussex?"

"They had projects advertised on the notice board, I applied for the one I fancied."

"Exactly, and you were supervised by?"

"Yeah, okay. I'd just got used to doing my own stuff."

"Well now you are moving up the food chain. So you will be doing some straight teaching at the local college, you'll also be tutoring," he looked at a note on his desk, "Judy Potter, and supervising whoever applies to do your research project."

"Judy Potter?"

"Yes, that's what I said."

"I know her father."

"So?"

"He was my mother's solicitor."

"So do a good job or he might sue you."

"I erm...."

"Drink your tea Cathy and get your notice up on the board, ask Mary to sort out your first tutorial with Judy, after that you can arrange them by mutual whatever."

"I'll need to show them what to do with my dormice," I gasped blushing.

"Of course you will, several times if I understand the quality of our intake this year. If A-levels get any easier they'll be giving them away for tokens on cornflakes. Still as long as they can afford six grand a year in tuition fees, we'll take 'em. It's what helps fund the proper research we do."

"Is my research not proper then?" I asked with a hint of indignation.

"Of course it is, but without money, we can't do anything. The government will fund so much, the EU will give us a bit more and so does your boyfriend's bank, but we have an awful lot to do with it including getting one or two of these little oiks a bachelor's degree for helping us grown ups do our bit. Let's face it, to most of them, stuffing a ferret down their trousers and farting is as much research as they've ever done, unless you include empirical research into alcohol poisoning."

"Right, finished your tea?" he asked and I nodded, putting the mug down on his desk. "Well take it out and wash it up, or I'll set Mary on you. Go on bugger off and do some work!"

I picked up my mug and walked!

An hour later I was down at my desk in the lower lab when my mobile rang. "Hello?"

"Hi, is that Cathy?"

"It is, how can I help."

"It's Judy Potter," there was an embarrassed giggle.

"Oh yes, we have to set a time for a tutorial." I kept it matter of fact hoping she wouldn't speak to her father, although I'm sure she already knew of my notoriety. "Look I'm in lab three at the moment, do you want to come down with your diary."

"Is that okay?"

"Course, but I'm not going to be here all day."

"Can my friend come?"

This puzzled me, was it to gawp at the weirdo or did she feel threatened in some way?" "Erm, I suppose so, but I've only been asked to tutor one of you."

" 'Kay, see you in a minute."

I switched off my phone and wondered what would happen next. It had been a strange day even by my standards. While I waited I looked at the notice I was going to put on the board.

'Research Project.

Linked with the UK and EU government survey of endangered mammals, a place or two has become available for a research assistant, studying the common dormouse. Will include night time fieldwork, may be unsuitable for lone female workers for safety reasons.

Contact Cathy Watts via Prof. Agnew's Office.'

"Hi, I'm Judy Potter," I turned around from my desk and regarded the young woman who had just entered the lab. She was about my height and a bit dumpy with straggly brown hair partly covering a pretty face which was spoilt by a large nose. She wore the regulation jeans and sweatshirt.

"Hello, I'm Cathy Watts." I uncurled myself from the stool I'd been sat on and stood up to shake hands with her.

"You're much prettier than I expected," the words sort of slipped out of her mouth with nerves.

"Am I, does it matter, I'm only trying to get you through your course not marry you!"

She blushed and giggled, "They said you were a boy."

"Oh," I shrugged my shoulders, "Do I look like a boy?"

"No, you're a beautiful lady." She blushed even more.

"It's my brains you're supposed to be here for. Shall we start again." I stood up and held out my hand, "I'm Cathy Watts."

"Judy Potter, pleased to meet you Miss Watts."

"Cathy, let's keep it informal," I suggested.

"Okay, Cathy. Pleased to meet you." She blushed again and her hand felt clammy with sweat.

"What happened to your bodyguard?"

"Erm?"

"You were coming with a friend, remember?"

"Oh he had to go. Actually I'm quite glad, 'cos he'd fancy you more than me."

"We'll I think my fiance would prefer it that way too," I lied confidently.

We set a date and discussed her difficulties, she was going to be bringing some of her work to show me. I wondered if it was all worth it, especially once she spoke to her father. I did think about imposing some sort of confidentiality clause on her, 'what we discuss you can't tell anyone else without my permission and I'll do the same.' But I thought that was asking for trouble. If she thinks I'm a girl fine, if she thinks I'm a boy fine, I shall act as I always do - impeccably.

As soon as she was gone, I ran out to my car shot home and showered and changed to go and see Simon. When I got there his room was empty and I had a mini-heart-attack. I ran out onto the ward accosting a nurse. "Where is Simon Cameron?"

"In the bathroom, I think." She gave me a very strange look, "Are you all right?"

"I think so, yes I think so."

up
181 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Potter?

Ah, the plot thickens.

Also, I'm going to start a campaign called 'Professor Agnew is innocent' because he is, despite scurrilous suggestions by other EAFOAB fans. He'd better be or Angharad and I will be falling out. Not that she'd notice :o)

Geoff

loved the end of this chapter

Poor Cathy. Just too much going on to think rationally when she finds simon's room empty. Hmmm...referring to him as her fiance too. Seems like out girl is getting used to the idea.

The food chain

Now that Cathy is moving up, maybe she'll feel more at ease with the nobility. Of course, she's got to keep track of him, can't let him go wandering off to the loo just whenever . . . . A ring on his finger should keep him nicely in check.

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

The food chain

Karen,
I think the actual placement of the ring is in the septum. Thereby Cathy or any proper lady can lead her man around by the nose(ring). I am quite sure Cathy is up to the task if she just decides what she really wants to do.

Angharad,
Another great chapter, keep them coming girl. Looking forward to your bicentenial chapter. Please get well soon.

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Stop the bike

I need to walk for a bit.

Poor Cathy.

Let's see...

She's not riding her bike anymore or hasn't for goodness knows how many episodes - She's got two people close to her in hospital - One maniac friend, who's probably still upset that she upset Cathy and Cathy thus far hasn't forgiven her - people after her - more work to do and a professor who won't take no for an answer - where will it all end?

It's not easy saying all that in one breath, but I got there. I can see why Angharad does this in bite-sized pieces!

Keep it up.

Nick

What year is it again ?

part 1234567890 she says. At a rate of one part a day with an occasional day off that's about 3.4 million years of writing or more then 300 times the age of current human civilization.

As big as that number is, I find it remarkable is still starts with a dozen :)

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

He's back

Lost IQ points reading The DumDum book for pics.
Poor Cath, now must aid the unwashed (underclassmen) including her family's solicitor's kid
How long 'fore she starts to cry again?

Cefin