Suhara of Curses: Chapter 40 - Void Skies

Printer-friendly version
Suhara3.png
Jaux Ballad has always wanted to enter the realm of magic, but could not do so by regular means. In his desperation to become a magician he finds himself with more power, and more trouble, than he could ever have imagined.

*=+=*=+=*=+=*

Suhara slept.

In the absolute darkness of the Realm of Light's Cowardice, everything appeared gray. Without any colors to contrast against pitch black, gray was all there seemed to be. It was a virtually infinite world, but completely empty and featureless.

Obscure tendrils rose from the floor and cradled Suhara. They wrapped lightly over her entire body, but held her firm. She was within a lightless cocoon.

A protected child in eternal shade.

The mystical darkness drained strength and magic. The power that was stolen from the girl coursed away through the inky threads.

Suhara could not wake. She lay without any power. Her body was perfectly frozen, for there was no heat. She was as motionless as a statue, but totally weightless. Her existence was a void.

There were no dreams to be had. An eternity would feel no different from a second.

The energy stolen from the girl was altered by the almighty immortal magics. It returned to her as the power of life. Though she had nothing, she would not die.

It was the state of limbo: everlasting deathlessness.

=+=+=

History would eventually call it the Time of Void Skies.

The entire world was stripped of their heavens. No more sun, moon, or stars. People took light and warmth for granted, and now it was all gone. With no light above their heads, most of Vanasia was plunged into a dull gray shadow. Not even the keen eyes of felines could capture enough light to see.

Unexplained darkness aroused the fear of the unknown. Anything could happen, and the people wouldn't see a thing.

The blind could only be amused as they welcomed everyone else to their perspective.

Those who had a source of light could view an eerie world painted by confined hues. Corners and curves were amplified by murky shadows. Anything too far to be lit was no different from the mouth of a gigantic cave. The world had been divided and isolated.

Major cities were spared from the worst of the nightmare, thanks to their torches, lamps, and crystals. The less fortunate were left in their peerless bubbles.

Worse than that was the cold that began to set in. People who were happily basking in sunlight were abruptly left in an abyss. To be too far from home was a death sentence, left without resources in a realm that became the coldest of nights.

They cried for help, but few were heard.

Monsters that reveled in darkness crept out from their hiding holes.

=+=+=

Theema's violet left arm filled the Ginrook forest with its glow.

The colors of flames mixed together with the violet, which produced a chestnut tint.

Sounds of combat still emitted from the castle. Darkness did not stop the undead, nor did it stop Cilna and the Ginrook Paladins from fighting for their lives. However, many necromancers and researchers took the time to curiously look out from the castle windows.

Theema observed her surroundings with her magical sight. She wore a blank face as she looked around. Her disinterest moved aside for a thin smile when she spotted something bright upon the ashy ground.

The goddess walked over, then picked up the Dragon Tongue Longsword. "Soul of the infernal wings," she muttered.

Theema's violet hand shattered the black blade of the Dragon Tongue. The soul that was trapped inside was absorbed into the goddess's arm.

Wings of purple energy sprouted out from Theema's back. They resembled the shape of humongous bat wings.

"I know you are hidden above," said Theema. "It is impossible to hide your magic from my eyes, nor can I mistaken the connection of my soul seeds."

Ri Lucian dropped her illusionary veil. She grabbed her bulky bag, then descended to the floor. "Apologies, your highness," she said. "I only wished to observe your divine majesty."

The harpy dropped down to her knees in a submissive bow. Her head stared into the ground, and her thin fingers dug into the soil. The four bird imps on her shoulders also flew onto the floor and bowed their tiny heads.

Theema opened up her right palm towards the bulky bag. The fabric ripped apart as her various black stone artifacts burst out. A tiara, necklace, anklet, and belt all attached onto her body. Purple light radiated from the gemstones etched into the stone relics.

A black gauntlet covered Theema's right arm. The gauntlet was thick, and it made the goddess's arm resemble a club weapon. Twelve round purple gemstones were lodged evenly around the forearm section. Unlike all the other black stone artifacts, the gemstones of the gauntlet were dim.

The energy wings attached to the goddess's backside receded into her body. When they were gone, one of the gauntlet's gemstones glowed bright.

An oval mask hung in mid air. Its gemstone eye lens flashed, before inky darkness poured out of the mask and formed a humanoid body. Four bracelets attached themselves to the four separate arms of the shadow entity. A pair of stone boots found their place on the entity's feet.

"Gather my weapons." Theema commanded her mask puppet.

The four-armed shadow jumped out of the forest, its dark body camouflaged by the shadowy world. The glow of the artifacts were the only indication of its whereabouts.

Theema looked back at Ri. "I have never made weapons out of harpies. How have you come to know of me?" she asked.

"I hail from Curahge, your highness. I learned about you when I extracted memories of your existence from a paladin that hunted me down." said Ri.

"The Cooleur Curahge, I see." Theema nodded. "Your service of gathering my soul seeds is worthy of reward. What is it that you desire?"

"Your perfect night is reward enough," said Ri, "I shall see the fall of man."

Theema smiled. "That you will."

A blob of darkness formed in front of the goddess. The black stone staff, Sevla, crawled out from the depths. An ornate armlet followed behind the staff. Sevla found its place in the hands of the gauntlet, while the armlet floated over to Ri.

"That is my gift to you," said Theema. "It is enchanted to provide you with my mystic sight, and also bring you before any living thing you know. Feel free to observe the end of any whom you mark as enemy."

"You are most generous, your highness." Ri bowed to the goddess, then she put on the armlet and disappeared in a cluster of shadows.

White strings suddenly showered over the forest. They were visible only to Theema's magical eyes, and had no apparent effects. A few of the thin strands landed on the goddess.

Theema narrowed her eyes and looked up at the source. She recognized the webbing from Suhara's duel, and knew it came from the High Priestess of Marlifa.

=+=+=

The Lyceum magicians were grouped together in the sky. Many had conjured fireballs in order to provide a source of light.

Helsfur's palm was extended towards the ground so that her strings could analyze the origin of the violet flames. Finding and stopping whatever was strong enough to blot out the entire sky was a much higher priority than Suhara Ballad.

Marlifa's voice whispered with disbelief out of Helsfur's earring. "Impossible! There is a divine being in that forest, a deity in the moral realm! I think... I think it's Theema."

Helsfur cut off her white strings and gasped. "What? A deity?! How?"

The other magicians turned towards the headmistress with surprise. They couldn't hear Marlifa, but they could piece together the fact that a deity caused the blackout.

"I... this is inconceivable. I actually don't have a clue." said Marlifa. "It is clearly the infinite soul of a deity, but it is more complex than anythi-"

"LOOK OUT!" Shouted one of the mages.

Helsfur flew out of the way just in time. Flames that sparkled like amethyst fell down from the sky. It was similar to the violet fire pillar, but much brighter. The moment it passed by, the magicians briefly felt like they were being burned alive.

All the mages activated a variety of barriers and wards to protect themselves.

"Dragonfire!"

"Don't be a nitwit, dragonfire is white!"

"Focus you fools! It's above us!" Hawkshire yelled.

A bright purple light shined high above.

Violet light rays began to rain down on the magicians. They were easy to spot thanks to the contrasting black skies, so the mages easily dodged the assault.

Unfortunately for the magicians, the light rays were a diversion.

Rilane screamed out as a silver spear pierced through her stomach. Her shield enchantments could not deflect the substance. She lost consciousness from the attack, so most of her spells deactivated.

Wenlia flew over and caught Rilane.

More anguished yells filled the air as the magicians were stabbed by the reflective weapons.

Hawkshire summoned a massive pink barrier over the mages. The barrier caught the silver spears, and they were slowed down to a slug's speed.

"Get the injured to safety, and heal them quick!" Helsfur commanded.

The magicians followed the headmistress's orders and flew towards the ground. They aimed for the forest fire, since it was the only part of the floor that was visible.

Helsfur and Hawkshire were the only ones left in the air.

"Impressive time magic." A cold voice complimented.

Theema suddenly appeared behind Hawkshire. The purple glow of her left arm, wings, and artifacts were bright.

Hawkshire turned around just in time for Theema's left arm to pierce straight through his chest. He started falling once Theema extracted her arm.

Helsfur gasped with terror. She was blocked by Theema when she tried to fly towards Hawkshire. In an effort to save him, she opened up her hands. Pink and green strings burst out from her palm, and the intricate webbing wrapped around Hawkshire's falling body.

The gaping hole in Hawkshire's chest was sealed. Blood stopped sprouting out from the wound, keeping him away from the clutch of death. The pink strings faded after healing most of the damage, but the green strings remained. Hawkshire was made lighter than a feather. Falling onto the ground would cause no further harm.

"She's too powerful, you need to get away." said Marlifa.

Theema opened up her mouth, and bright flames pour out in a massive flamethrower. Burning heat radiated from the blaze and scorched the surrounding air.

Helsfur conjured a massive shield of white ice. Her defense exploded into a cloud of gas the moment it made contact with the violet fire. She was blown back by the force of the explosion, but luckily escaped the flamethrower.

Pink strings shot out of Helsfur's fingertips. They surrounded Theema in the shape of a massive sphere. With a pull from the headmistress, the strings converged inwards towards the dark goddess.

Theema became a mass of inky shadows. She stretched through the strings and reformed behind Helsfur, all in an instant. Bright violet light rays spewed from the dark goddess's eyes and struck the headmistress's back.

Protective spells were able to divert some of the light away, but the rays originated from too close to miss.

Helsfur ignored the burning pain on her back and twisted around. She threw her hands forward and summoned a humongous mass of green strings. The strings overwhelmed and covered Theema's body.

The green mass condensed in a crushing implosion. A loud percussive boom echoed out due to the force of impact.

Silence.

A violet inferno abruptly consumed the cluster of green strings. Gentle warmth washed out from the blaze and throughout the sky.

Out from the tepid fire, Theema stepped out. Her body and artifacts showed no signs of damage.

Reflective stakes formed around the dark goddess. The stakes flew through the sky and streaked through all of Helsfur's defensive wards. They stabbed into the headmistress's body, crushing countless organs and bones.

Helsfur blacked out and began to fall.

Theema caught the falling body. She stabbed her shining arm into the defeated High Priestess of Marlifa.

up
168 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Eep!!

I knew Theema was up to no good!

This is not good.

This is bad!

Very bad.

10 points from gryffindor!

I'm sure releasing an evil deity into the world and possibly causing the destruction of mankind might put a bad mark on your academic career.

Wow

Frank's picture

At least Suhara's safe...kinda sorta maybe...?

Just WOW!

{{Hugs}}

Hugs

Frank

Only another

Diety or someone with that power will be able to defeat Theema. Did Ruexin leae enough of Theema into our little heroine to wake from her dreamless sleep, to be able to come back and potentially defeat this goddess? Oh I bet good money on it!!!!!!

Great Chapter

SDom

Men should be Men and the rest should be as feminine as they can be

nasty

I hate to be proven right about Theema

DogSig.png

Darn!! Been hoping she was an

Darn!! Been hoping she was an unfairly oppressed
deity.. Come on!! Show your good!!!

alissa