Julina of Blackstone - 027 - Homecoming

Printer-friendly version

Julina does what she can up in the Vale and then gets back to Town

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

027 - Homecoming


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
027 – Homecoming

The waking routine here was so different to the one I was used to at home.

And yet it wasn't that different from the one that I had had yesterday, of course – just a little different, just subtly other somehow. I think the major cause of the difference was that the children had got used to us by then, and thus the second breakfast was less of an unknown quantity to them.

For me, it was also different because I had had very little sleep.

And neither, consequently, had Pomma.

Rathina's question had opened a completely new way of looking at things, which brought with it hundreds of possibilities.

Pomma and I agreed with each other that we should be ashamed.

We, and many, many others, had been pleased to see the bully punished and pleased that a strong message had been sent out. Pleased indeed to see that the authorities care.

But we, and many, many others, had given not one single thought to the victim in all this.

Was Vittima better off?

Well yes, fairly obviously, she would no longer be beaten. But the sentence on her man now made her responsible for looking after someone she didn't even want to have to look at. Someone she was desperately trying to get away from.

For the first time ever in her life, she was now earning coin – and she would have to spend it on maintaining the brute that had married her.

This was hardly fair.

On the other hand, she WAS his wife. And men have certain rights as regards their wives. It was ever thus. In normal circumstances, a father handed over responsibility to the husband for looking after the woman. She was no longer a drain upon the father's resources which is why it was usual to offer a present to the husband, to ease the inevitable transition caused by a newly-added burden to HIS resources.

From what little I had gathered here and there, it seems that it was this present that had attracted Neerkel rather more than Vittima herself. Apparently, Neerkel had been smiling and charming, particularly when Vittima's father was around, until shortly after the marriage.

Pomma and I agreed that not one single woman in the town would look after the brute – they would let him rot; we had never heard a single good word about his domestic behaviour. So it would have to be his wife that would feed him, and do all the many chores that a wife has to do for her man.

The Town, represented by his Honour, required workers, so was this all actually a sop to the women, when they wanted this man, and as many others as possible, to continue to do work for them? Neerkel's job did carry some responsibilities and so the thought lingered that maybe they wanted to keep this resource working rather than have to spend time training a replacement.

And so our discussions had gone fore and back throughout the long dark bells.

I knew I would have to be extra careful during the lessons this day, for without sleep I tend to get irritable and grumpy. It wasn't the children's fault, nor Rathina's really, that I had so little sleep.

Young Kalisel was shaping up to be the most able, but Venna wasn't that far behind. Rathina had intelligence but was torn between learning and running the household, so she was dropping behind a little. The other four children were much as I expected, they were receiving a little less of my time, since the plan was that Kalisel and Venna took over a teacher's role once I had departed. We all knew that it was impossible to learn to read and write in just three days, but hopefully I could introduce a solid base for them.

My writing of their familiar family stories would be a big help to them so I gritted my teeth, strengthened my wrist, and made the second session of the morning one that was happy for them, and a chore for me. We managed to get the second story finished, and the third one started. Some bits went a little slower than others. We took some time with complicated words like 'porridge' and they crowded round as I slowly wrote it down.

After a while, in the middle of the third, my wrist and fingers required a break – so it was time to set my students a little test. A thought sprung into my head that made me grin a little. THIS exercise was going to be interesting.......

I started it by getting each to write their own names.

First we said each name out slowly, making all of us find out how many letters were in each one.

Then, when all understood, I got them to write their own names out.

I helped when we came across unfamiliar letters to be used and they were all proud that they had done it by the end. I made a mental note to include that in my future lessons; it involved the student at a very personal level.

I donated another precious sheet of paper to get each of them to write their own name on it a hand of times. Again, the repetition did wonders for everything other than paper usage.

Then I made them write out the names of the others gathered round. Very soon, all could write every name down legibly. The paper was filled to every corner it seemed.

There was still a little time before we would all have to start the chores so I pondered upon ways to continue. I thought I would try something out …...

I made up some phrases in my head and got them to write them down. Simple statements using the letters they were most familiar with, and expecting them to ask when we came across more difficult ones.

“Feed the frayen fodder.”

“The scrap of paper” and then added “was spoilt by the pel spilling.”

“Ganna goes green with no water.” (That one fetched out a shout of laughter, even from Jorilda herself. The others seemed more surprised at that than at my made-up sentence.)

“Porridge produces (difficult those two words, so I was a little mean there) strong men and women.”

…... and so it went on …... and on …..... a few more of such a nature.

… … …

Lunchtime appeared, and we all gratefully took an extended break. Little Toren delighted the assembled company when he took an extra mug of water across to Jorilda and, with a big twinkle in his eyes, told her he didn't want her going green. She laughed at that, and her whole body jiggled to such an extent that we thought the water would end up on the floor.

That little event was cut a bit short by Brethen announcing: “Visitor! Three casts to us from the gorge. Lone man on a frayen.”

The household jumped to it, and a welcoming group was in place before the visitor had time to ride halfway to the house.

I recognised him some way off, as did Pomma, so we told everyone his name, Kalkulin, and that he was a chargehand working for Master Blandel, the stonemason. We all had a fair idea of why he was here, and so it was proved.

“Good morrow,” he called, his eyes sweeping across us all and focussing on the only grown male amongst us.

We each murmured a reply.

“Have I the honour of addressing Goodman Brethen?”

“Happen so, young Master. Kalkulin, isn't it?”

He was taken aback by that. “Err....., I'm sorry Goodman. Do we know each other? I think I recognise you from around town. I regret I can recall no introduction. And I 'aven't been too drunk recently.”

Brethen chuckled: “Nay lad! 'Twas Mistresses Pomma and Julina here that recognised you as you approached.”

Kalkulin looked at us and his eyes widened. He hadn't expected to see anyone he knew all the way up here. His male eyes had just seen women and children and had skipped across our actual faces. We all could see him readjust his thinking.

“Mistresses, good morrow.” We bobbed the smallest possible of curtseys in an easy greeting.

“Now lad, you've come to tell us that you have to remove that rockfall on the lake side of the gorge. Correct? And you're starting on the lake side because it's easier to get your dranakh there, rather than have to climb all over the saddle above the Bray Valley head, since the dranakh cannot pass easily through our narrow gorge?”

His eyes widened again. We all giggled – well Brethen chuckled, the rest of us giggled.

“Why ….yyyyyesss,” he stammered. “Master Blandel done sent team up to do that. There's an Assembly Meet this morn otherwise he'd a bin 'ere 'imself.” His speech dropped back from that over-formal way he had initially employed. As he got more off balance, his speech returned more to his roots.

But I could easily understand him, as could we all. And I had a pang that I wasn't down in town for the meeting. I know it's silly, but a flash of resentment scooted through me.

The men sorted out quite easily what to do with the captured pakh once they were freed – just lead them through the gorge and let them wander – and Kalkulin promised to number them. He was told there were young in there so not to be surprised when they popped out.

Kalkulin explained that they would use their three dranakh to tug out the topmost boulders from the right side as they looked at it – the side nearest the gorge. They would then work their way down the edge and across the top simultaneously. The first steps would take some time as they weren't sure of the stability of it all, but they did expect to be finished clearing the slide after three of four full days work. He expected the dranakh teams would have turned up by the time he got back to the worksite.

We waved as he turned and went back, his message delivered.

And so we tidied up after the lunch and then Pomma and I joined Brethen for another ride round the Vale. Pomma and I giggled at Brethen's complaints about the old style saddle.

The wildness of the Vale was seeping thoroughly into our souls. It was taking our breaths away at every twist and turn. That day was a little warmer than the day before, the clouds having mostly disappeared. I was glad there was still some cloud though, the sudden shafts of sunlight shining on features created real beauty. One such happened to spill onto a small pond fed by a smaller stream, round in one of the many mini-valleys in the sides of the Vale. The colour explosion was startingly pretty and even Brethen was moved. My eyes took it all in, and then we turned, following this little stream as it exited the pond and trickled its way down to the main stream that ran all through the Vale.

Pomma and I appreciated that ride very much. We knew that this time tomorrow, we would be on our way back to town; who knew when we might be able to return.

… … …

“Oh Mistress Pomma! That is SO good.”

The children were all gathered round her as she put the finishing touches to all three of her pictures. The older people in the room nodded in agreement, but were not rushing to see it. Pomma had told them that she would leave one of them behind – they could have the choice – and give one of the others to me, keeping the last for herself.

We were just after the last lesson before supper, having a break which Pomma had filled with her final dobs of painting. The pictures would be put to one side to dry, and then, after supper, the family would make their choice.

The afternoon lessons had gone well, better in some ways than I had expected, and I was actually hopeful that they could practice enough to get them up to the beginner's standard that Epp and I had agreed. There was still the question of how these children could actually attend the school, but with enough minds thinking of it, I was sure there would be a way found. Another small exercise I set them, this time to do without any help, had enabled me to do a little more of the third story, using many of the words as examples.

After supper was finished, it was getting dark outside. The younger ones would have to get to bed soon, so they decided to start the fourth story. This was so I could make a start on it, and the children would listen to the start of one rather than picking up the by-now-disjointed third story.

And so my fingers and wrist were again put to a severe test.

Finally, the younger ones were abed and asleep, and the next batch were being prepared to be sent to bed.

Brethen, Rathina, Tarina and Jorilda studied the three copies of Pomma's painting and selected one. Pomma then handed one to me, and I was delighted.

Here is why …..

see glen_FotoSketcher.jpg

… … …

Getting up that third morning was a little easier than on the previous day. We had slept like the dead as the previous night and day caught up with us. I noticed that Pomma found it a strain and supposed that the older you got, the less easy it is to go without a proper sleep.

The breakfast was a peculiar affair. The children were sorry that Pomma and I would be departing later, and we were too in a way, and yet both of us were looking forward to getting back to our own homes. Brethen, I suspect was not looking forward to a journey back to town to provide us with an escort and then having to camp again for a night before returning. I knew that our afternoon rides had strained his resources about getting necessary things done in preparation for the winter, and that extra journey would not make it any easier.

But he and Rathina were determined that their children would have a better set of opportunities in life than they themselves had had. So they embraced the writing and numbering lessons with an almost overwhelming enthusiasm.

I gave some more lessons in the morning, did a LOT of revision with my students and still managed to complete the copying of the third and fourth stories.

Our pending departure weighed ever more heavily on the children, so our lunch was quite a bit sadder, even more so than the breakfast had been.

We three loaded our animals and, after a strangely tearful leave-taking from the women and children, set off towards the dreaded gorge. I was already steeling myself for coping with it and Brethen had suggested that actually I led our little column through it, thus having better vision in front of me. I agreed to give it a try.

It was a little better I have to confess. Having unobstructed views forward helped me and I didn't feel quite so bad as I had before.

This was probably a big part of why I screamed so much when I turned the bend that goes to the right, in the middle of the gorge, and bumped full tilt into someone.

… … …

The workers at the end-of-the-lake rockfall all had a good laugh.

I can sympathise slightly with them as it must have been a very unusual sight when they saw a woman astride a frayen, facing the backside of the beast, as the said frayen backed out of the gorge.

I think it helped Judd though, that I was able to gently guide him as he walked backwards.

For it was into Papa's breast that I had bumped.

It took a little rapid explaining from Brethen for Papa to understand the depth of the problem, so, once the problem had been grasped, he just lifted me onto Judd's back. Which helped immensely, and I could help the beast as Judd backed out of that side of the gorge. It was slightly wider there and there was room for my legs to dangle. The saddle wasn't comfortable mind you.

But being raised, having unblocked vision and gripping my father's hand all allowed me to negotiate the short journey with relative ease.

I scrambled down from Judd's back as soon as I could, and was quick to remount Dralla. When the workers saw me remount, then some of their laughter drained away to be replaced by a certain amazement. A shout shook them back into work mode soon enough.

Papa and Brethen had a short conversation while Pomma and I rode our beasts off to one side to keep out of the way of the workers and possible rockfalls.

Ropes, leather harnesses and metal spikes, some with spreading metal hooks, were lying about, as men on ladders drove other spikes into the gaps between the jumbled rocks with heavy hammer blows. On the ground were a few rocks lying around that had obviously been dragged down before. Two dranakh were waiting patiently for the ropes round the rocks in the rockfall to be connected to their harnesses. One worker slid down his ladder far faster than I could ever have imagined, and then he teamed up with three others as they dragged the ladder out of the way. The other ladder was similarly dealt with.

The dranakh were eased forward until the ropes tautened then they leaned forward to take up the strain. They pulled steadily and in perfect time with each other; and made ground a thumb at a time. Soon, the rock at the top wobbled in its seat and the animals strained more. Suddenly, the rock toppled forward, the dranakh almost ran until they released their pull (again, in perfect timing with each other) and there was a huge crash as the rock piece thumped into the ground. This was followed by a strange sound, almost a whistle and on top of that were suddenly louder pakh noises.

One of the workman called across to Papa and Brethen and asked if either knew what was the other side. He was most disconcerted when I, a mere female despite being mounted, answered: “It is a cave system. The far end is also blocked to humans by a rockfall, but there is a gap between the top of the rockfall and the roof.”

“Ah! No wonder we have such a gale blowing through here then. Now we have created a gap, there is nothing to prevent the wind blowing through.”

His call though had brought the two mounted men over to us, and suddenly I was just a mere female again.

It wasn't, I decided, worth making a fuss about.

We watched for another half a bell, as two more rocks were brought down. The third dranakh was employed to drag the tumbledown rocks into a sort of curving wall, which the foreman explained would guide the released pakh into the gorge. The gap was slowly widened as two or three more loosened rocks came down with less effort required and so the wind noise diminished as a consequence. Now some of the top rocks were cleared, two of the men scrambled up the ladders again and stood on top of the 'wall' where they swept, kicked and tossed down more and more rubble.

Papa wanted to stay for a bit longer. He had come to fetch us for which Brethen was grateful, as that allowed Brethen to return to his now less-interrupted tasks. And so there were just we three onlookers. However, Pomma and I suggested that it might not be wise to stay for too much longer. We were, after all, a long way from an outhouse.

We did all agree that we would be back soon, though.

“I particularly wish to see those funny wagons the miner described, as well as see what else the removal of that wall exposed. I'm not sure, though, that I would be able to bring myself to actually go in there.”

“I know what you mean, Julina. I am also drawn to it and yet have a fear of entering, although the gorge did not worry me as much as it did you. Maybe it's just a fear of the unknown.”

“That is entirely possible, Mistress Pomma,” said Papa, nodding. “Many is the time I have observed that in my life. Often it happens that the person involved laughs about it afterwards and wonders what the fuss was all about.”

… … …

As it was, Pomma and I managed to make it all the way back to the Claw before needing the facilities.

And we went the long way round!

Papa kept up a conversation with us as we wended our way along the lakeside. We came across a spot where the track had obviously been dug out of the hillside by a stride or so. The markings were extremely fresh.

“The track had crumbled here, Papa and was scarce wide enough for a wagon. I see they have already made it safe. Such a difference.”

“Aye, lass, I can see the signs of the work. Very recent this is. But this is nothing really. A trivial difference.”

His tone made me look sharply at him, but he deflected my unspoken enquiry: “So did you get up higher in the Vale, maybe to the Ptuvil's Circle, as Master Bezan tells me it is now called?”

“No, we did not approach that place. Goodman Brethen ….....”

… … ...

And so we carried on, reaching the dam not that long afterwards.

“Now, ladies, it is time for you to choose. We can scramble down the flank here to the stream bed, and we can be at my home relatively quickly, should you require a comfort break. Or we can follow the aqueduct round to the Cistern. The overview of the town would be better going the long way round.”

Pomma and I glanced at each other as we wondered why Papa should think we needed to have an overview. But there was something in his tone, indeed in his entire body posture that suggested strongly we should take the longer route. Our eyes told us that neither were in need of a comfort break, and unlikely to be so for another maybe bell.

“Very well then Master Kordulen. Be pleased to lead us to town by your preferred route.”

“So be it.” Papa led off along the roof of the aqueduct. “So no doubt you picked up a new recipe or two?”

… … ...

As we rode along, the town slowly exposed itself to our view. We came round the slight right-hand bend where the aqueduct seems to make its break from the Blackstone river, and looked eagerly as the houses came into view. The obvious first thing that was different was that East Street was now in full use. Seeing the stream of wagons descending really brought home just how much traffic Main Street had carried. It itself was very busy, but we could see that there were many more gaps for foot-goers to use to cross safely.

We could further see that East Street was now actually fully paved all the way up to the Claw.

Actually, I should reword that statement as it is a one-direction road. East Street was paved from the Claw all the way down to where it joined Main Street again.

We could see some workers adding paving stones to the surface for about a cast upwards, and some were adding an extra layer just inwards of the stripe. Again, I admired the way that they were obviously doing it. The outside of a stripe was finished first, a task that was unaffected by the traffic passing, and which then gave a certain more room for the wagons to use, then they added a next bit to the inside of the stripe, done when there was a gap in the traffic. Then they did the same exercise on the other side, the other stripe. And then finally they would fill in the middle. This caused almost no disruption whatsoever.

“Oh what very clever thinking! I see how they can expand that surface even whilst it is in use. Very few complete interruptions I should imagine.”

“Aye, lass. And I'm proud of your intelligence.”

“You are clever, 'Lina. Why, I could never have gleaned that detail just from the quite short glances we have had.”

“Oh, tush, Pomma! Had you been there at the meetings, then the subject would have been equally as interesting to you. You would have been looking at the scene with different eyes. I could never look at some scenes with YOUR eyes. Oh Papa, wait until I show you the absolutely brilliant picture she has made of part of the Vale …...”

We went on whilst still both talking and observing, getting ever closer as our roof-top route above the aqueduct angled in towards the buildings at the top of the town.

Mind you, we still couldn't see the very top end of the town, but we could grasp many of the details slightly lower down. It looked to me like our new home might be connected to the water supplies, both fresh and waste, judging by the channels that had been dug. But those water channels were still open to the elements.

I could see that Suril and Haka's new home was …... hold! That was them, surely? Carrying furniture and belongings into the new residence. Yes, definitely that was them. And I could see a thin spiral of smoke from that chimney. And I could also see that the water channels had yet to be connected.

Just behind was the start of another new building, closer to the Watch House. Hmmm. What on Anmar could that be?

Oh! Maybe that would be the female lock-up! Yes, that must be it. A much smaller thing altogether.

By this time, we had progressed to the next kink and rounding that had exposed the top of the town.

Pomma and I reined in in surprise.

We just stood there for a good moment or two while Papa was chuckling to himself. My mouth was dropped open and Pomma later told me hers was too. We didn't look at each other though. Our eyes were goggling at the sights that had just come into view.

I realised now just why Papa had heavily suggested we came this way.

… … ...

Oh where to begin to explain? Now I am writing this some little while after the event, it is easier to set it down logically, but at the time my eyes darted hither and there, skipping from one change to another.

“Oh Maker! So many changes. Some small, some major. Hold a while that I might take them all in.”

“I agree, Pomma. We need time for this. Thank you Papa, for keeping this all a surprise.”

All the major changes had a common factor, it seemed, except for the obvious expansion of Master Pocular's space, and an obviously new settlement of two adjacent workshops that had sprung up way, way over there on the west bank of the Bray. There must have been nearly a mark of roadbed laid now on the Loop Road, and it became obvious now that those workshops would be inside of the roadway.

For the rest, the common factor could be described as the camping place.

But as that was so large, I have found it to be difficult to choose with which change to start.

I suppose the best place would be with something I have already mentioned, and to then work my way round from there.

East Street. And its junction with the camping place at its south-eastern corner.

“Look you, the top two or three casts of East Street are fully finished! That is indeed very sensible as traffic entering it might not always do so at the same angle, therefore the wheel stripes may not have been convenient for all. This way the traffic has time to line itself up with the stripes that continue down the hill!”

“Aye lass. Excellent observation! Now if you also look …..”

… … ...

A quite technical conversation then ensued regarding road building, which left Pomma and I a little time to look at some other wonders while Papa was going off about one of his favourite subjects. The two of us listened with half a brain.

To continue to describe the changes, I shall continue working my way round the stretched circle that made up the camping place then.

(Older Julina says: Nowadays of course, the levelled area is less and there are more houses around what has become the market place, but back then it was quite different.)

So then I shall resume my descriptions, going from its south-east corner, from East Street, and starting out heading west, towards the sun that was now visibly sinking in the sky.

All the haphazard tents that had spread along the south side of the camping place had disappeared.

Completely.

I shall return to these.

Instead, there was now one quite large structure. I don't mean to imply that this structure took up the entire space along that edge of the camping place, but it was positioned some three or four strides in from the edge and was fairly central between the places where the two major roads intersected the south side of the area – Main Street and East Street.

This was like a house but without an end wall as far as I could see. At my first sight, we could see only the east end of the structure, and only at an oblique angle at that.

But before I come to more of this 'house', let me first deal with the embedded wagon marks within the entirety of the camping place. There were several obviously favourite routes, but nearly all were lightly marked into the surface.

The most obvious came down from the track that led to the quarries and the Loop Road which, you probably know by now, approached the camping place from the north-west, the far corner from our current viewpoint.

There was a clearly etched wagon track that entered the camping place there and headed towards the new structure before turning off. We actually watched as a laden coal wagon lurched from the Loop Road / Quarry track, down to this new building, almost hitting it before turning left and heading for East Street, following the strong marks in the surface. A sharp turn right led into the exit from the camping place, and the wagon was on its way out of town, with no traffic coming in the opposite direction to hinder it. It was immediately apparent just how much of a relief to the traffic this new one-direction system was proving.

So, back to the new structure, whatever it was. It had no obvious tracks into or out of it.

I asked Papa what it was but he just shrugged and didn't answer, his eyes sparkling at me.

The way he did that told me he knew what it was, and was waiting for me to be amazed. Grrrrrr. Sometimes I could get angry with him.

Pomma just mouthed: “Men!” to me and I had to grin.

But there was too much else to take notice of for me to be angry really.

Main Street had always approached the camping place uphill from the south, at an angle across the slope. It had ended at the camping place, with maybe one third of the camping place to the west (left) of where Main Street joined it, the rest being to the east. The track to the quarry, and now to the Loop Road, had always been almost a continuation of Main Street, considered so as, if that street had run directly up to the north side of the camping place, it would meet the mouth of the Quarry track.

I would estimate that the camping place was some three or four casts wide at that point. You will remember that Malet's and Kelly's home was on the corner there, where Main Street joined in, to the left as you came up.

I have described this is some detail since it is now time to describe the next major change that had taken place in the four days of our absence.

If you drew a straight line from Main Street to the Quarry track, this line would form the side of a new area.

The entire west side of the camping place had been cleared, and marked off somehow. I was too far distant at that moment to see clearly how it was marked.

“Look Pomma. There, the western end has been separated off. What have they used for markers? I can see that they're white but I can't make out what they are?”

“Nor I. Do you know, Master?”

“They are large stones, stones that have been squared off, much like the marker stones on the main road downvalley, but without the domed top. They have been whitewashed in the same way, though.”

I saw small groups of men moving about within this marked-off area. A few heartbeats of observation told me that they were most probably military or something similar. I wondered at the validity or usefulness of ten or so men in groups arranged in rectangles and marching about as lonely figures shouted at them.

Continuing my description of the changes by continuing to travel round in that direction, we got, of course, to the start of the quarry track, which I shall from now call the Loop Road. On the west side of that road, the walls of what I knew to be the new public bath-house were already erected. Indeed, I fancied I could make out some steam from heated water being made ready already.

“Aye lass, happen you're right. The workers can now have warm showers, and some take baths, at the end of the working day. I cannot express to you how much the atmosphere has improved in the workforce since that happened.”

On the east side of that road, as you are all already aware, sits the squat, windowless, looming block of the Cistern. This takes up almost all of the north side of the camping place.

And contained probably the greatest of the changes I need to describe. Although 'contained' is the wrong word.

On top is the accurate description.

On top of the Cistern was an enormous structure, which seemingly consisted of a middle-sized hut with pairs of tall poles either side. Arranged between these tall poles were horizontal poles which stuck out either side. Attached to the ends of these extensions, were arms that were either up or down. The whole contraption seemed to be connected with ropes and so on to the hut below. It was some strange, almost menacing structure.

As we watched, several arms flicked up or down, waited a few heartbeats, and then did some more. This continued for a moment or two, before the hut door opened and two men came out, stretching and easing their backs. They seemed to nod to a group standing by and at that moment several of these men started swarming over the structure, attaching other ropes, testing the movements of the arms and so on. I realised that the operators had finished for the day, and the maintenance men were checking and testing the structure, to be sure that everything was in order.

It took my breath away.

“So that's a semaphore station!”

“Semaphore what, what's that?”

“Oh sorry Pomma, I should have told you all. It never really came up in conversation. Actually, it should have done. It's a good reason to concentrate on spelling. Why, I could have ….”

“Yes, my dear. But WHAT IS IT?”

“It's a way of sending messages. So much quicker than by frayen. ….. ” I trailed off as I thought about how to describe it easily for her.

“Mistress Pomma! On a clear day, we can see the Strettalm from here, right?” Papa attracted her attention.

She nodded. “Indeed, Master. It has often been a wonder to me to see that peak rising above the trees. When the sunlight catches it right, it can be quite startlingly beautiful. I have a picture I made of it once.”

“Well, there is another of these on top of the Strettalm. The operators have things called telescopes. They make distant objects seem closer. With a telescope, it makes it seem like the top of the Strettalm is as close as the start of the forest, or even closer. By arranging the arms in a certain way, a letter can be sent from here to the Strettalm, followed by another letter and then another. In five moments, the operators on top of the Strettalm can have received an entire message.”

“But why would they?”

“They then take that message and send it on to the next station. Before you know it, the message has reached to Tranidor! Or at least, it will happen so when the chain of stations is complete. We can ask a question of someone in Tranidor, and receive an answer within a matter of bells, rather than take a whole week.”

“Maker!” she said faintly, as the full implications began to set in.

“Yesterday we had our first ever useful message via this method. A wagon has broken down at the Forest Roadhouse, and the wheelwright was able to load a spare wheel onto the shuttle before it departed. That saved at least a day's delay.”

Finally, to complete my descriptions of the changes, back on the camping place, north of the track marks joining the Loop Road to East Street, were arranged the tents of the workers. In orderly rows and columns. I was amazed at how neatly they fitted into so small a space compared to what had been there when I left.

So you can now readily understand that much had changed. And why Pomma and I were quite so amazed.

Hold!

A further change caught my eye and I saw now why the tents were seemingly taking up so much less space.

It was because there were in fact so many fewer tents. The Miners' Village had far more buildings there now.

I saw that there were many bodies scurrying round over in the Miners' Village, but it was just too far distant to make out details, and the closer we got to the end of the aqueduct, the more the Cistern blocked off of the views up there. But I still had seen the change over there.

So many changes in all.

And we had had only three nights away!

… … ...

We dropped down the slope close to the east side of the Cistern, skirted the foot of it, then rode diagonally across to the top of Main Street, this time not having to thread our way through tents and campfires and the like.

We got a closer look at the new structure as we crossed. Both ends were open, no walls at all. Under the roof, against each wall was a sort of raised edge and both had some packages or baggage or baskets stacked on them. There were some notices attached to the walls in various places.

I looked a question at Papa, but he shook his head, mouthing to me to wait. Really! Some men! Sometimes I could scream!

… … …

Pomma and I, as mentioned earlier, made it back to the Claw before requiring a comfort break. Sookie was delighted to see us and we had a little time to let her know what we had been up to before Papa started to get irritated. We arranged to have a further morning ride on the day after next, Sookie being certain she could get back into the saddle by then. Instead of the morning ride tomorrow, we agreed to come down here and fill Sookie in more properly on the events that we had experienced up there. Papa was pleased with that arrangement as it meant we could leave a little earlier.

He escorted us up to Pomma's and made sure that everything was in order for her to return to. Nothing was untoward, and it was apparent that her housekeeper was pleased to have her back. Both Papa and I were relieved that everything was good enough to allow her to come home without difficulties. We left her and made our way across Main Street and down to the Watch House. I was intrigued to see the latest arrangements in the life of Suril and Haka – and Haris, of course.

Of course it didn't work out like that.

Kassama caught sight of us leaving Pomma's and got Em to interrupt our stroll. We were taken straight to the Salon.

Where another surprise waited for me.

The entire room had been coloured – I detected Gyth's influences here – and the tables were so improved with cloths, they were no longer recognisable.

The door had been rehung such that it opened outwards into the corridor, giving a little more space inside the room and the corridor had been fitted with a door either end to minimise draughts. As a result of this, there was space to hang coats of the diners outside of the dining room, but inside the corridor. There was also a small room created for the doorkeeper.

The new colours made the room seem a little lighter than it had been, which must be an improvement; it would have been difficult to be more gloomy. The colours were considerably aided by the fact that there were two of the new windows that had been installed. They were standing open to help clear the smell of the paints. The outlook was merely to the wall and backyard of the neighbouring building upslope of this one. The special alley to connect Main Street to East Street passed on the downslope side of 'our' building, so there would be no interruptions from that source.

The kitchens had not been neglected, and there were beautiful new pots and pans and kettles and bowls and boards and everything you could imagine.

Em was delighted, and I was caught up in the moment. There were only a few things left to complete and then the Salon could open.

“Em, don't forget that I shall be going down to Tranidor shortly, with the girls. The grand opening will have to wait until my return.”

“That might not be happening, daughter.”

I turned to Papa, shocked to my core.

“We need to find out what this war business will cause, first.”

… … …

Once again, this far-off war had burst the bubble of my happiness.

I gushed appropriately when we got to Suril and Haka's. They were moving out of Em's but would be back for bathing and feeding. Little Haris was in Haka's arms, and was almost asleep, his fingers entwined in her hair.

They showed me the new building that was indeed a lock-up for females, and it was well thought out. There were two cells themselves, and a properly equipped bathroom for THOSE days. There was an outer 'office' with two desks, one for the duty officer, usually going to be Vittima, and one for the female boss who was indeed Mistress Grizanthet. The building would require a few more days before it was usable.

Papa was getting uncomfortable, constantly checking the door and the angle of the sun. I suddenly realised that he was waiting for something.

“And just what are you getting twitchy about, Papa?”

“Ah! You know me too well, my child,” he said shamefacedly, “it is always so difficult to surprise you. I have seen you get irritated this afternoon with me when I don't tell you things you want to know. Just be patient a little longer, I beg of you.”

The others around, I became aware, were all smiling, so they also knew what was in store. And my mood brightened just a little. I think it showed, since I felt a tension in the room lessen.

My mood was further improved when little Haris gurgled at me and played with my finger. There was something about that little mite that tugged at my heart.

We chatted about the experiences I had had up in the Vale, but I had barely scratched the surface of all that could be said when the door opened and in walked Master Fedren. His arm was in a sling but his face was still a healthy colour, so I knew that his injury, whatever it was, could not be so bad.

“Master Kordulen – it comes!” He nodded to me before he turned and left as suddenly as he had appeared.

… … …

And so it was that Papa, Suril, Haka (and Haris), Em and I found ourselves up the hill, under the roof of the new structure.

I looked around, trying to make sense of what I saw.

On either side, was a raised platform maybe a stride above the ground. There were bundles, bags, boxes and baggage of all sorts piled up. On the left as we walked in, the setting sun casting our shadows further into the structure, were four large notices on the wall. One said 'Roadhouse', the next said 'Brayview', the third 'Tranidor' and the final one simply said 'Farther'. Each had a distinct pile under it, the second being the smallest. On the other side, the piles were a little more spread out.

Between the two platforms, which had a set of steps at either end, I could just make out some wheel marks, so I realised that wagons must come in here, hence no walls at either end. Then I suddenly realised what this whole building was.

It was the end station for the shuttle.

“Why a building like this?”

“The roof keeps off the worst of the weather from goods that have been delivered, or from goods that are to be sent. Goods to be sent are sorted by destination, so unloading the wagon is easier when they are loaded in sequence. Also, passengers have here easy access to an outhouse, and may remain out of the weather as they wait.”

I nodded as the explanation made sense. But what didn't make sense is why we were all here.

That was explained a few moments later, when the shuttle turned into the level area after climbing Main Street, came across the intervening distance and pulled into the 'shed' as Em called it. I could see now why the platforms were the height they were, and why they were the distance apart that they were.

The two passengers to get off could step easily onto the raised wooden floor, and the driver could easily unload the goods, everything being at the same height. The wagon itself fitted neatly between the platforms with only a very little gap.

I noticed this only in passing, for one of the passengers had come to me and given me a hug.

“Master Steef,” I sputtered in surprise. “What brings you here?”

“Two things really. I have a meeting with his Honour to discuss more details about the barges. First thing in the morning.”

“And the second thing?”

He didn't say a word, just nimbly hopped into the belly of the wagon and twitched aside a goods blanket after untying the ropes that held it from slipping or flapping.

I gasped in surprise, and delight, at the two metal tanks of foti fish, each with at least a hand of fish swimming around in them.

“We shall take them down to your fish farm tomorrow,” said Papa. “Steef shall stay with us tonight and travel back on tomorrow's shuttle. We have arranged that the shuttle shall pick up the empty tanks from the roadside at the second roadstone. It makes no sense to transport them back here just so they can be taken back down the hill.”

I caught a smile on Steef's face as Papa said that, and another on the wagoneer's face. Something else was going on. I made sure not to show my impatience.

We then left to go back home, but going by way of the Claw since my packs were still down there. So the entire group of us retraced our steps down the Main Street taking our leave of Em first, that being the first home to pass, of course.

We neared the Watch House area and Master Fedren was just approaching it from the direction of the Bell, talking to a quite heavily built man I recognised from somewhere.

When Fedren caught sight of us, he laughingly 'hid' behind his companion, and everyone sniggered and looked at Haka. She blushed a deep red and looked uncomfortable.

I plucked at her sleeve and asked: “What's that all about then?”

She looked at me and said: “I shot the Sheriff.”


up
168 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

ALL OF THIS IN 4 DAYS ?

They are lucky they weren't gone for 4 weeks. I am true-fully in need to reread this chapter with the Black Stone map in front of me so that I can vision all that has happened. It sounds like in 4 days the shift was from a small village to a small town. I hope someone who knows how to do this can redraw the Map.

It is funny how long it took some Ideas to travel from one part or time on earth to to another. Many of the Ideas occurred in isolation on separate sections of Earth at different times only to disappear. Then being rediscovered and put together with other ideas forming a gestalt process. The plumbing and road system of Rome, the medicine and food of the American first people, the basic government and western reason of Greece.

Huggles

Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Surprise!

They don't have workers in Blackstone, they have beavers! A four day absence that produces that much change requires some sort of power tools. Did they get a steam powered stone saw?

In any case, I’m glad to see new Blackstone material. I was starting to get grumpy.

DJ

Not exactly right, but close.

Thanks for commenting, Dennis.

The Miner's Village has been being built for a long while, it was just that the water facilities were not hooked up and so on. There were plenty of crude shacks sitting there empty. It doesn't actually matter if the campers have wooden walls or 'canvas' ones, so they could just as well move.

Once Em had made the simple suggestion to have strips of paving for the wagon wheels, and to use the stone slabs already laid in the alleys that are not being used, then East Street could be done in a matter of a few bells.

The prefab wood 'modules' would have come in handy for the female lock-up.

And to throw up two walls, held up with two loading platforms and joined by a crude roof wouldn't take more than three days at most.

The rest was just moving stuff, people and animals around - or masters getting their apprentices to do some 'knocking up'!

But don't worry, more changes will be revealed - same time, same channel ------- soonish.

Hugs

J

Good one!

That last line had me laughing so hard I had to wait a minute or so to comment. Oh, is the deputy okay?

Maggie

Very nice overview of the new

Very nice overview of the new changes in Blackstone as seen through the eyes of Julina and Pomma. Much more to come without a doubt.

Typo? Check here....

Pomma and I glanced at each other as we wondered why Papa should think we needed to have an overview. But there was something in his tone, indeed in is entire body posture that suggested strongly we should take the longer route. Our eyes told us that neither were in need of a comfort break, and unlikely to be so for another maybe bell.

Thank you

Corrected here, in my backup, in my book of the entire story, in my book of just this section, and in my archives ... phew!

Having read the first line of the next chapter...

Aine Sabine's picture

I had to come back and add to the comments of everyone else about the deputy. I really wish Garia had been there to hear it. She would have been singing that song for sure. And then she would have had to explain herself!

Aine