Darin Dares - Chapter 1 of 7

Printer-friendly version

Darin Dares

Chapter 1 of 7

© 2014 by D.L.

This is the crunch time, the last moment in which I could declare turning up to school in a skirt was a prank. What I am about to say with shape how people will regard me in the future. I only hope that what I am doing isn't going to back-fire on me...

--SEPARATOR--

I had just reached the end of our road when I saw my mother drive past on her way to work. We waved to each other as she passed. I slowed my pace until she turned at the junction and disappeared out of site. Glancing at my watch it was exactly 08:18. I needed to be in school by 8:50. If I wasn’t in my classroom when the final bell rang at 8:55 I would be given a late mark in the register.

I counted to ten; just to make sure that my mother had gone before starting to run back to my house. I'm already two minutes behind schedule, but I have built in enough contingency to allow for some minor delays. Time won't become critical until I'm closer to the late bell.

In next to no time, I've unlocked our front door. I dropped my school bag in the hall and started unbutton my shirt as I sprinted up the stairs to my bedroom. I threw the top onto the bed and climbed onto the strategically placed chair that I had positioned before leaving earlier. It allows me access to the cupboard above my wardrobe where I keep my suitcase. I grabbed the handled and jumped from the chair, pulling the case with me, swinging it mid-air so that it lands on my bed, and almost bouncing back off due to its momentum.

Hidden inside is the alternative school uniform that I'll be wearing for today. I stripped naked as quickly as possible, not worrying about folding my clothes like I would normally. It has taken many weeks to pluck up the courage to even buy what I'm going to wear, and I've been debating if I should even go through with what I'm about to do.

I glance at the clock on my bedside cabinet. It is already 8:23 and I don't have time to stop and hesitate if I'm going to go through with my plan.

I turned and looked at my naked body in the full length mirror on my wall. I didn't like what I saw. The ugly lump of flesh dangling between my legs was filling me with disgust. Grabbing the panties from the case I rapidly pulled them up my legs. Pushing my male appendages into position so that they didn't protrude, I could finally look at myself with our being revolted. Even with my flat chest, I now looked feminine, at least in my eyes.

I didn't have time to admire my reflection. I picked up the white blouse and put it on. There wasn't much difference between the blouse and the shirt I had just removed. Both were made from a cotton/polyester fabric, similar in style and fairly plain, the major difference being the direction of the buttons. While I couldn't button these as fast as normal, they didn't give me a lot of trouble.

If all I changed was the blouse, I could probably get away without anybody noticing, especially since I didn't have a bra to wear underneath. However, I continued to dress in the grey box-pleated skirt. Glancing in the mirror to double check the length, I noted that it was just covering my knees, longer than the specified minimum.

I pulled the new socks up my legs, admiring the pretty patterns woven into the white fabric. There would be no mistaking these as being designed for a boy. I would have opted for a pair of tights or stockings if I could, but I was limited by what shoes I could obtain. I managed to find a pair at a car boot sale I had cycled to early one Sunday morning. They were slightly large, but fitted well enough with some insoles and if wearing socks. Most of my new uniform I bought cheaply from the supermarket, but shoes were slightly out of my price range. I got some strange looks buying the items, but seemed to get away with it.

Finally, I placed my most prized find on my head. At the same sale I also found a second-hand girls wig. It would be enough to fulfil the look. My actual hair is quite dark, almost black, and very short. The wig was more of a chestnut brown and reached down to my shoulders in a classic bob style.

With my shoes in my hand, I returned downstairs. If I was going to get to school on time, I would need to get my skates on. Quite literally in this case as I pulled my in-liners out from under the stairs. My school is about a mile away and I usually walk it. On average it takes me twenty minutes, although I have run it in fifteen on a few occasions. After securing the skates to my feet, I positioned my knee and elbow pads and donned my helmet. Making sure my shoes were in my school bag, I left, locking the door behind me at 8:34. I would be cutting it fine.

The closer I got to the school, the finer my margin for error on my timings became. I had a five minute window for leaving the house, which had almost expired. I needed to get in the school gates before they were closed and locked at 8:50, but not too early so that there would be a lot of students entering. From previous estimation I needed to leave it to the last minute before arriving.

With 47 seconds remaining, I turned the last bend and gained sight of the school entrance. The last couple of pupils were just going past the teacher on duty. Using the downhill gradient to my advantage, I increased my speed, tucking my body into an aerodynamic stance. Mr Handley looked around to see if there were any more students, and I could see the look of alarm come to his face as he spotted my extremely rapid approach.

Mr Handley has only just started this term, having been employed to cover for another teacher on maternity leave. I doubt he would know my reputation, and even if he did it would be by name only. He wouldn't be able to pick me out of a crowd, especially as I'm usually in attendance as a boy.

The last time I was using my skates because I was late, Mr Walsh was on duty and he locked the gate before I could arrive, just to be spiteful. If you don't make it in time you have to go in through a different entrance and sign in at reception, which is an automatic late mark, even if registration hasn't been taken.

I took a third option upon seeing the locked gate. At that time the gardeners were on site and had left a ramp going up onto their trailer that they use for their ride on lawn mowers. I used the combination of my speed and their ramp to launch myself into the air. To the horrified look of Mr Walsh, and cheers of fellow students, I was able to vault myself over the six foot iron railings, landing with a perfect roll inside school grounds. That particular stunt had landed me a week’s detention, but the admiration of a large chunk of the school populous.

I didn't fancy trying a repeat of that stunt today, especially since there were no ramps available this time. Luckily, even though the bell was sounding in the background, Mr Handley was waiting for me. I think he may have been afraid that I wouldn't be able to stop.

Bending my knees, I placed my left foot behind me and firmly planted the rubber stop on my toes onto the tarmac. Stretching out my arms for balance I rapidly braked, bringing my speed low enough to grab the last railing and slingshot myself through the gate to spin to a graceful halt just inside school grounds.

The teacher just looked on in amazement as he shook his head and locked the gate behind me. I was grinning widely having made it inside without incident. While going to reception would serve my purposes of getting noticed, I would much prefer the wider audience of my home room.

"Please, don't do that again, young lady," he said as I stooped and untied my laces. Mr Handley, having given me a short lecture on safety and timekeeping while I put my shoes on, disappeared into the building, with me following.

I smiled as I walked the now almost deserted corridors. The few students remaining were dashing to their classrooms, and I didn't see anybody I knew. I came to a halt just outside my own classroom door. I could hear my teacher, Mr Brett, already calling out names. Taking a deep breath, I opened the door just as the final bell started to sound.

Time seemed to stop as I stood in the doorway, all eyes in my direction. I had executed my plan to perfection. I had arrived unrecognised and unchallenged to my classroom. Whatever happened from now on was out of my control. I just hoped the outcome would be manageable.

I was fully prepared for spontaneous laughter, but instead I was greeted by silence. Keeping my head high and eyes forward, I ignored the people around me and walked to my desk. The sniggering and whispering had started. A woof whistle was blown from behind me. I didn't see who, but I could guess.

"Silence!" Mr Brett commanded, causing the room to fall quiet. "Darin Mitchell, why are you dressed like that?"

"I would have preferred to wear a nice light summer dress, but that isn't part of the school uniform," I jokingly replied, trying not to show my nerves.

"Neither is what you are wearing, young man."

I glanced around the room, noting the attire of my fellow students. The girls outnumber the boys ten to seven, excluding myself. The girls can wear either skirts or trousers.

"I count six other people in this room with near identical outfits. If the rules have been changed, then I'm not the only person who has failed to comply."

"They are girls, Mr Mitchell. You are not."

This is the crunch time, the last moment in which I could declare this as a prank and back out. What I am about to say with shape how people will regard me in the future. I let the silence remain for a few moments as I pluck up the final piece of courage to go all the way.

"That, Sir, is debateable. Despite having seen me naked in the showers, a number of the boys in this class regularly accuse me of being a girl. Having done some research on the subject of gender, and giving the matter much consideration, I think that they may be right. About the only thing I have in common with the boys is that I can theoretically pee standing up if I wanted to. I'm not sure that alone is enough to categorise me as a boy, especially as I suspect some girls could achieve that feat with enough practice."

I'm interrupted by giggling from a couple of the girls, which is quickly silenced by an annoyed look by the teacher. I took the opportunity to glance around the room. I can see a mixture of worried and angry looks from those who have been picking on me. The school doesn't take kindly to bullying and not only am I breaking gender boundaries, I'm also breaking the taboo of snitching on my fellow students.

I decided to press on, "Seriously though, gender can be measured by a lot more than physical characteristics alone. It can also be the way people think, feel, and interact with others. School rules provide two options for presenting oneself, the boy's uniform and the girl's uniform. I don't know exactly which category is most appropriate for me, so I am opting for the one I think I fit into best.

"So your sudden change of sex has nothing to do with having several coursework assignments due today? I've seen many attempts at getting out of homework, but getting yourself sent home isn't one that usually works," Mr Brett replied. The unwelcome element of sarcasm in his voice didn't bode well.

Pulling my exercise books out of my bag I place them on the table in front of me. "I have my assignments here. They are complete and I can hand them in now if required. I'm well aware that I'll probably get sent home, so I made sure to have everything done in advance so I wouldn't miss any deadlines."

A slight grin appeared on my teachers face as he declared, "Of course, it's not guaranteed that you will be sent home. That is only one option. You may have to stay dressed like that for the rest of the day, unless you brought a change of clothing."

I could see that he was fishing to see which punishment would cause me the most discomfort. He was obviously assuming that I was depending on being sent home or would want to change out of what I was wearing.

"No, I didn't bring any other clothing, and if I wasn't prepared to spend the day dressed like this, I wouldn't have come like this in the first place. It really doesn't matter if 8 people or 800 see me dressed like this. The fact everybody in this room has seen me is enough for the grapevine to spread the news to the rest of the school."

I look round the room at my fellow students. I can see they are eager to talk about my appearance, but can't do so while Mr Brett is present.

"Let us see what the headmistress has to say on the matter," Mr Brett reasoned, obviously not wanting to make a decision himself. His next action was to complete the register before escorting me out of the room. We stopped briefly so that he could ask the teacher in the neighbouring classroom to keep an ear out for my class before continuing onto the front office in silence.

up
228 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Now It Starts

littlerocksilver's picture

Only the author knows for sure where this will lead, but I have a pretty good idea. Six more parts, and a lot is going to happen, I imagine.

Portia

Braver than both of us, I would guess....

Ragtime Rachel's picture

The closest I came to challenging gender norms was bringing my crocheting into school during a teacher's strike my senior year in high school. By then I was desperate to tell someone, anyone I was trans, but held back by my own cowardice, so I had to express it in subtle ways. Even to the point of writing a TG story for my English comp class.

Though a rough time is surely ahead for young Darin, I find myself wishing I could be him, for a little while--if only for the opportunity to wear a girls' school uniform, which I'd wanted to do since I read The Secret Language when I was eleven (the story's set in a girls' boarding school, for those unfamiliar with it).

Livin' A Ragtime Life,
aufder.jpg

Rachel

Congratulations Darin...

Looking forward to more. Darin will soon be encountering two head mistresses one at school and one at home. I voting for Darin not to be sent home. And Mom to quickly become supportive though likely to be requiring of Darin.

Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

A New "Risk It All" Heroine

Wow, it's been 3 years! I'm so pleased to see a new story from you as I really enjoyed your previous stories.

BRAVE LASS (or Laddy)

I just wish that I had had the courage to turn up at school like that !

Well, at least it will precipitate a series of investigations by all kinds of "experts" for Darin.

Back in my youth, Before the Flood, they had not even invented the words for this sort of thing...

Nice beginning, D.L.

Briar

That gives interesting start...

That gives interesting start of a good story.

One small nitpick - in-line skates have brake at the back, not in front.

Great story

I really enjoyed this even though I thought that perhaps Darin was coming across a little too adult and clear-headed than a boy of his age. But as a boy-girl s-he may well have done a great deal of reading and research such as to give him some adult skills.
Posting all 7 sections in a month clearly means this is a complete story but a continuation would be very well received.
Thanks
AP