Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2363

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2363
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Having dealt with the miscreants and dried my eyes and nose, I went to see how the party girls were doing. They were busy watching some make up tutorial on the net and then trying to emulate it. They were each wearing enough makeup to make a drag queen blush and yet all of them have clear complexions and don’t need foundations and powder. With Danni playing football, she has natural roses in her cheeks, so doesn’t really require blusher. They were all giggling themselves silly, and I was pleased I’d bought some extra makeup remover, cotton pads and tissues which was on the shelf in the bathroom Danni, Julie and Sammi share.

I took them some soft drinks and snacks for which they thanked me. Little things mean much to parents, especially mums and the fact that they acknowledged my gift to them, means they’ll be welcome again.

Of my tutorial students, most thank me for my time of which about half mean it, and it’s never difficult to tell the difference between genuine and polite autopilot. Usually it’s someone I’ve helped to understand something they didn’t seem to get before, often something quite basic but it frustrates or prevents progress. So when enlightenment is provided, and it shines into their area of darkness, you can almost hear the brain clicking into gear.

Much of what I teach these days is ecological systems. It’s not rocket science but they can be complex. Some of the most straightforward ones are population rises and falls such as short eared owls and voles. The voles are the main prey item so in a year of plenty of voles, extra owls might also be born up until the peak of the vole population, which then declines and the owls find life harder and their numbers fall as well, usually a little later.

Watching population numbers is one way of observing what is happening in environments. The numbers of seabirds from puffins to herring gulls dropped from overfishing of sand eels for fertiliser by deep trawlers which destroy the sea bed communities—they can take decades to recover—supplying factory ships. The effect is twofold, the fish themselves are depleted and the habitat damaged the first signs of which might well be the decrease in predators, puffins, guillemots and razorbills as well as fish which might feed on them too, then things like gannets become affected.

Usually, the causes are multifactorial including things like temperatures rising on land or sea, pollution, over exploitation by man, destruction of habitat or disease. Red squirrel populations in the UK have dropped continually since the introduction of the American grey squirrel because the greys are bigger and more aggressive, perhaps better adapted and resistant to squirrel pox which they carry. The reds aren’t and if they catch it, it’s invariably fatal—it eats their faces away and is horrible to see.

Ecologists watch for indicator species, and if these start increasing or decreasing something is happening which might be good or bad. Nature will always find its own equilibrium but we don’t always like the consequences. In a post nuclear war scenario, flies, cockroaches and grass will recover quickly, mankind won’t. A consequence of global warming will be increasing desertification of Africa and some parts of Asia—possibly it will eventually spread to the N. American prairies—the breadbasket of the world. Siberia could eventually replace it as temperatures climb and the permafrost melts. Low lying places will become inundated as the ice caps and glaciers melt, ironically water will become in short supply to large tracts of land especially those where rivers are formed from melt water—there won’t be any.

The human population will likely fight wars for territory and water supplies and doubtless famine and disease will take the weakest. The only polar bears will be in zoos and big cats like tigers or snow leopards will also disappear. The world will be a poorer place as we lose those species which are already struggling to survive against the two legged termites, and elephants and lions will be in very small numbers and rhinos will probably only exist in zoos—hunted to extinction by poachers for Chinese medicine or middle eastern men with erectile dysfunction or a desire for rhino horn dagger handles. It might be nice to see rhinos grinding up humans as aphrodisiacs, or bits of, or wearing knives decorated with human body parts. Can’t people see how stupid they are? Obviously not.

Once I got the younger ones to bed, I sat down with Si and shared a glass of wine, we chatted—something we don’t do enough of these days, no time. He reminded me to contact my P.A. again to recruit the two managers we’d need to run the environmental directorate. The object being that one would help to generate the savings to fund the other part—good in theory, we’ll have to see how it works.

At bedtime, mine that is, I checked the three teens—they’d settled down to watch a film and were then going to turn in. I told they’d better or it wouldn’t happen again. Our bedroom was close enough to hear any outlandish noise, but I suspected the older girls would stop too much noise as it would keep them awake—not a good idea with a big sister like Julie, who doesn’t take prisoners.

Simon asked how the harvest mouse film was progressing. It wasn’t very quickly—Alan had been ill or busy and I had plenty to do as well. Following our conversation, we’d discussed climate change and its effect upon the future he told me I should do a film on that as well.

“Why?”

“Some people might take notice and do something.”

“Governments won’t, they’ll shoot a few badgers or send food to Africa but the Chinese or Indians aren’t going to stop building power stations or having increasing populations of middle class people who all want a car, preferably a 4x4 gas guzzler. We won’t be able to prevent wars over water or save the polar bear—to put it crudely, it’s too late and we are fucked.”

“Talking of which...” he never gives up, does he?

“I saw an article about a talk by Steve Jones the geneticist who reckons atheists and rationalists will become scarcer as the believers have larger families,” he added trying to show me he did read more than the markets.

“Oh well, they’ll find out the hard way that the sky pixies won’t save them when climate change really starts to affect things.”

“That’s very cynical, Cathy—what about your own meetings with the goddess thingy who gives you the blue light?”

“I’m not sure what that’s all about, it could be that natural energies can produce enough of something for a form of consciousness to occur such as elementals and so forth.”

“And goddesses.”

“I honestly don’t know.”

“Is that your main purpose—to save mankind from itself?”

“I thought Al Gore had that job pretty well sewn up, either that or Flash Gordon.”

“Flash Al, there’s a picture to conjure with,” he chuckled and stroked my chest...

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
210 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Climate Change Story

My very first story was a non TG (Didn't even know what that was then) post destrucionist epic. :) I don't know if it will ever see these pages as every time I attempt to edit it, I hate the author for his pitiful skills.

In this story all the ice has melted, and a limited nuclear war happened, leading to massive mutation in humans and other animals.

The world below 35 degrees latitude has become flat out uninhabitable desert and that above that latitude is relatively lush. Imagine wheat in the arctic and bananas in Montana.

I was recently on a bit of a walkabout, and drove through areas of Eastern Oregon and Idaho that were heavily irrigated from deep wells. I wonder what they will do when the Aquifer has gone too deep to access?

The story is not TG, as I previously mentioned, but that could easily change.

What to do when the aquafers run dry?

They'll probably campaign really hard for permission (and money) to divert the Mississippi, and also dip some water from the Great Lakes.

I bet they never read

the portion of the bible that spoke of Free Agency

Not being Christan please do not take what I am saying as giving them an out.

They need to become familiar with there own teachings. in more than superficial ways. In there version of there story God gave them free agency to act with out strings attached. Jesus applied a further explanation concerning the old ways being past and he was the new. God did not promise them any sky faerie help for there own screw ups they were responsible for that.

The cost of there stupidity has already been horrendous and becoming worst by the day. I will never understand the greed of the people making the decisions to ignore the very science that gave them there computers cellphones and jet aircraft' just so they can continue to make the same stupid decisions made over 4 thousand years years ago destroying the cedar's of Lebanon
along with the rest of the rain forest that existed in northern Africa. Now we are doing the same thing in Central and South America.

I am ashamed of the actions of our US government and ruling class who are adding to this mess. There is enough blame to go around the world several times on this issue,but WE know better, and have the ability to do better. We have the solutions on the shelf if the opposition would be forced to compete in a real free market economy not the rigged lairs poker game we play now.

Catherin may be a alter ego for you, but the science you are basing this story on is correct. As I have said before my degree is in Oceanography and I am well familiar with the subjects that are being expressed. Thank you for being willing to state them for a larger audience.

Huggles

Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Dead dummies.

The world has enough for every man's need but not enough for every man's greed.

Water is about to become the 'new oil' typically the robber barons in Britain have made sure ours is privatised. It used to be owned by the people.

Ah well, the rich dummies will be the first to suffer when the peasant's finally see the wood for the trees.

Fair comment Cathy. We need a revolution to curb the greed.

bev_1.jpg

Global Warming

According to the best climate models, how long will it take for the temperature to rise to the level that we enjoyed in the middle ages?

Anyhow... the whole discussion about animal populations reminds me of some of the calculations that the professor did for his course on chaos theory. It turns out that you can have chaos from a totally deterministic system with no randomness at all. Even so, the values stay within certain boundaries.

See? An ecologist needs to not only know math, but to be familiar with chaos theory. ;-)

In the Bible, GOD never said

In the Bible, GOD never said how or if the Earth and all human inhabitants would be finished off, all HE did say was it would never be by a worldwide 40 days/40 night rain and flood again.
So in my very humble opinion, HE could be allowing us all to choose our own demise as a species. Melting ice caps and thus flooding along the coastlines, horrendous forest fires, such as we have all seen in the US, Siberia Russia, Australia Range fires, etc; super HOT summers, WITH Droughts that stagger the imagine in parts of the world than CAN re-happen here also.
Think of the Great American "Dust Bowl" fiasco (bad farming practices AND public policies in operation during that time period; that ran through the American "Breadbasket" in the very late and early-mid 1920s and 1930s.
So all we need is for some "leaders" and I do use that term very loosely now-a-days due to the current "crop" of what we all seem to have in our various governments; to enact some laws, rules, regulations that on the surface seem like the thing to do, yet when done and "in play" will prove to be disasters in the long run.
I believe Cathy is spot on in most if not all of her comments.

Bike 2363

As usual I have completed my weekly dose of 'bike'. there are a couple of things to mention.

One of the forts in the Solent is now a hotel and needs a new manager, here's a link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2641596/No-Mans-La...

Perhaps Simon could offer to buy it as a retreat for Cathy when she needs a break.

I feel Cathy overdid the 'global warming' piece. The correct term is now called 'Climate disruption' This is because global Warming hasn't happened for the last 17 years. climate change also failed, because that's just the weather.

Another great week Angharad.

Love to all

Anne G.