Almost A Girl Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

ALMOST A GIRL: CHAPTER 5 OF 10

I awoke with the scent of Judy still in the room. Her side of the bed was still warm when I put my hand over to feel if she had been there. I pushed the covers back as I sat up in bed and wondered how soon I could get Elliot and Judy to relinquish their sadistic desire to torture me as a girl? Surely today would be enough? I had spent two days already in their blackmail scheme. Well, maybe not two whole days. Friday was only one evening and night as we went to the prom. But that should count as a whole day, along with yesterday. I moved the covers back and slid out of bed. The black satin nightgown felt soft against my skin as I made the bed. I went to sleep wearing the padded bra and panties to give me the right shape, in case Judy’s mom looked in and wondered why Barbara didn’t make the necessary bumps in the covers.

Bed made, I cracked the bedroom door to make sure it was safe and padded down the hall to the bathroom for a bath and other things necessary in the morning. As I stripped for the shower I was reminded of my tan and the lines of my bikini top and bottom. Those lines didn’t look like they had started blending in with the tan. The dresses Judy had me wearing weren’t hiding the untanned strap lines going over my shoulders. Most of the time I never even thought about it when I was out with Judy and Elliot. I mean, I was wearing a dress. What difference did the strap lines on my shoulders make?

After toweling off, I wrapped it around me and padded back down to the bedroom where Judy was waiting. She had laid a soft yellow dress, slip, bra, and corset along with nylons out on the bed. Softly I moaned to myself. “Haven’t you and Elliot had enough fun torturing me?”

Judy giggled as she pointed toward the dresser. “Barbara, I always wanted a sister. I was envious of Elliot and Buddy because they had each other. I never had the kind of sisterly love for another, like Elliot and Buddy shared as brothers. Hon, you are visiting with me until Friday and then you fly back to Dallas to your parents. Now come over here and let’s get ready to go to church.”

“Church? You’re kidding!” I was positive God would strike me dead if I walked into church in a dress. God knew everything and he would know I wasn’t a real girl. I was sure it would be sacrilegious to walk into church in a dress. I knew God wouldn’t approve.

“Mom and dad always make church on Sunday. Two thirds of their customers are church going people. Most of those people like it when someone says they have been to church last Sunday. Mom and dad make sure they can almost always say they were at church last Sunday. Now come over here and sit.” Judy motioned toward the seat in front of the dresser.

Hesitantly I headed toward the chair. I was going to Hell. God would punish me for walking into His church in a dress.

Judy looked around. “Where’s your purse? You need your makeup.”

“I…, I’m sorry Judy, I left it in Tug’s car last night. I didn’t mean to. I…,”

“I heard Barbara. I only wanted to know if you knew where you left it. It’s Tug now is it? What happened to Tank?” She was smiling.

“I…, he…, we…,” I had no idea why I had rather call him by his given name rather than his nickname.

“We are going to run out of purses if you keep leaving one behind every time you step out the door. The purses are expensive enough but those cosmetics cost a bunch themselves.” She pulled open the dresser drawer and searched through the lipsticks. “Okay, here is one a little more appropriate for church. It’s a peach. It is a lot more subtle than the Passion Red you have been wearing. We will be a little finer on the eyeliner and not as heavy on the mascara this morning.”

She handed the lipstick to me after she opened it. “Show me you have learned how to apply your makeup.”

With regret I took the lipstick, leaned toward the mirror, and began changing Barbara into the girl Judy wanted.

Judy slipped into a soft reddish brown dress, nylons and heels as she watched and gave me pointers while I put on my makeup. She started brushing my hair to show me how it was done and then she turned me loose with the hairbrush. She was there giving help and suggestions as I got ready. It took a lot longer than when Judy did it for me. I was finally ready except my dress was still unzipped. I managed to get it part way up my back but couldn’t make it all the way. Judy finished that for me and then hooked the dress. I belted it after she had me zipped up. The corset gave me an hourglass figure again. I figured because Judy laced it up it wasn’t choking me nearly as bad as the other night when we went to the prom.

“Let me change your earrings. They are a little much for church. We dress down when we go to church.” Judy was motioning toward the seat again.

“Can’t we just take them out?” I had to sleep in those long dangle earrings last night because I couldn’t figure out how Judy had them fastened.

“Barbara, they stay until they heal. Now be still.” She removed the right one.

I felt of my right ear. All four studs were still there, along with that diamond lace on the front side and the gold filigreed bar on the back side. “Judy, please take them out.”

She attached a multi gold loop to it. “They stay until they are healed. Besides, it takes a special tool to remove them.”

I looked in the mirror. Judy had attached four gold loops to the bottom stud in my right ear. “And?” I was afraid of the answer she was going to hand me.

“It’s on back order.” She finished by removing the dangle from my left ear and attached four gold loops.

“Back order? And I’m guessing no one in town has one? How long a back order? One day? Two days?” Surely she wouldn’t put permanent studs in my ears without a way to remove them…, would she?

“The company said it would ship in approximately ten days.” She was watching me in the mirror.

“Oh just ducky! Okay, hardware store and pliers will work.” This was not my finest moment. Ten days wearing ‘look at me earrings’ wasn’t in my calendar anyplace.

Judy giggled as she shook her head. “Pliers? Hon they won’t work. First off the studs are driven into the back and locked in. Hand tools will definitely not be able to get hold of the right places to pull the studs and backing apart. The company advised in no uncertain terms against such an idea. Seems a customer lost the removal tool and tried pliers rather than ordering another tool from the company. The girl had to have her ears sewn back together after her over zealous boyfriend finished trying.”

“I’m stuck like this until they send the right tool?” I shook my head and the earrings tinkled. “Oh yes, that’s such a big improvement over the others isn’t it?”

Judy giggled. “Being sarcastic are we Barbara? Careful sister, or we will put the other cascading earrings back in. Momma will wonder what kind of girls live in Dallas, who go to church wearing evening earrings.”

I was positive I didn’t want Miriam wondering about what kind of girls lived in Dallas. “I’m sorry, I haven’t had a whole lot of experience being a church girl.”

Judy leaned down and gave me a hug. “I know hon. You’ll learn. You have a little catching up to do is all.”

I didn’t have a response to that. I looked at her in the mirror as she smiled and hugged me.

Judy brushed my hair down and forward around my ears. It didn’t completely hide the earrings, but it helped make them a little less obvious.

Judy slipped on small diamond studs and a very small diamond, single strand necklace.

She handed me a single strand, small gold necklace. “It goes with the earrings was her explanation. Okay, stand up and let me see.”

I stood up and straightened the skirt on the soft yellow dress. It was a full skirt and the hem came to above my knees. My matching heels were about three inch. I turned around as I looked in the mirror. I wasn’t bad.

Judy handed me a yellow purse as she picked up another one for herself. “Think you can manage to hang onto this one today and NOT leave it in church or any place else besides bringing it home?”

“Judy, I’m sorry. I’ll get the others back from Tug. I know he will hang onto them for me.” I watched as Judy straightened up her skirt and slid the purse strap up on her right shoulder.

She opened the bedroom door. “Let’s hit the kitchen for breakfast while mom and dad get ready.”

It was almost an hour later when Bill pulled into the church parking lot and killed the BMW. We all piled out of the car. Miriam, Judy, and myself straightened up our skirts before we grouped and headed toward the church entrance which seemed like it was a couple blocks away. Funny but I never paid any attention to how far I had to walk from car to building or visa versa before two days ago.

Judy and I walked together ahead of Miriam and Bill. I looked at the name on the front of the church. It was Mainstreet Baptist. Mom and dad weren’t Baptists but I kind of figured it was all the same.

There were people greeting one another at the door like old friends. A man waved at Miriam and Bill. “Bill, Miriam... good to see you this morning. Hello Judy, you bring a friend?”

Judy indicated with her left hand in my direction. “Marvin, this is Barbara Peck. She is visiting from Dallas.”

The man smiled at me. “Hello Barbara, it’s nice of you to visit our church. I hope you enjoy the sermon.”

“Thank you.” 'I’ll enjoy it a lot more if I make it out of here alive and God hasn’t placed His vengeance on me.' I muttered to myself as I followed Judy past the man into the church. I fully expected lightning to come from the pulpit and get me at any second.

“We go sit with the youth group class first before church.” Judy led me off down several hallways before going into one of the larger rooms.

There were fourteen or so kids approximately our age already there, along with a younger man about twenty four or twenty five standing in the middle of the room. The desks were formed in circles around the center of the room. The young man acknowledged Judy as we walked in and found empty seats. “Miss Mecham would you like to introduce your guest?”

Judy motioned back toward me. “Bryan, this is Barbara Peck. She is visiting us.”

“Nice to have you join our class Miss Peck or is it Misses Peck?” Bryan questioned.

“Miss.” My response wasn’t that automatic, but I managed to come up with it before Judy had to bail me out.

“Very good of you to join us today Miss Peck. This is a Christian youth group for fourteen to sixteen year olds. Please find a couple of seats and we will get started. This weeks lesson is on Daniel in the lion’s den.”

The lesson was interesting as Bryan tried to get all the kids to respond why Daniel wasn’t eaten by the lions after he was tossed into the pit with them. Forty five minutes later there were a couple chimes and Bryan looked at me as the others were leaving the class. “Miss Peck, if you are going to be around this summer could I interest you in being a counselor for our youth group?”

Judy snickered, “Be the youngest youth counselor this church ever had.”

Bryan blinked as he focused in on sizing me up for real. “Oh? I’m guessing twenty two or twenty three, but considering Miss Mecham is laughing I must be wrong.” He glanced in Judy’s direction. “How bad did I miss it, if I may be so bold to ask Miss Peck’s age and you would be willing to tell?”

“She is fifteen.” Judy responded with a Cheshire cat grin on her face.

Bryan blinked a couple times as his mouth dropped open to say something he obviously thought better of before it spilled out. “Um, hurrump” He cleared his throat. “I see, or maybe I don’t see. In that case, maybe we should invite Miss Peck to come to our youth rally this summer?”

I stood up as the other kids had already left the classroom. “Thank you but I’m only visiting for a day.”

“If you change your mind please join us this summer. Miss Mecham, please let Miss Peck know our schedule for the summer.” Bryan was trying his best to get a yes out of me.

“Thank you.” I took Judy’s hand and led her out of the classroom. I was positive I didn’t want to go to any summer youth camp as Barbara. Buddy was already away at a youth camp. There was no way I was doing double shift this summer if I could help it even if it was an imaginary Buddy at camp.

Judy stepped up beside me as she led me back down the hallways. “I think that would be a great idea. You spend the summer visiting with me and…”

“No way Jose! I’m not spending the summer as Barbara. Buddy comes home and that’s that.” I was determined to put the squelch on her idea before it gained traction.

Judy’s eyes were dancing as she turned her head to look at me. “We’ll see.”

“We won’t see. Cousin Barbara goes home and Buddy comes home. End of discussion.”

Judy steered me back into the church auditorium. Miriam and Bill were already there in the third row from the front. There were certainly a lot of heads turning when Judy led me down the aisle where Miriam and Bill were. Oh great! Get up close so God doesn’t have as far to reach when He steps into the church and notices I’m not a real girl. I sat down beside Judy wondering why we had to sit at the front of the church? Mom and dad always sat close to the back. I felt like everyone was looking at me. Judy slid into the pew a row ahead of her parents.

I was studying the carpet on the floor, the shoes I was wearing, and everything else so I didn’t have to be looking up. It wasn’t three minutes later when someone sat down beside me. I looked at his polished black shoes, his black dress slacks and refused to look up any further.

“Hello Tank.” Judy turned to her right and was talking in my direction.

TANK! OH NO! IT COULDN’T BE! I swallowed the lump in my throat before looking over at the handsome boy sitting on my right. I died a thousand deaths in less than a heartbeat.

He smiled. “Hello Barbara from Dallas.”

“Tug” I finally managed to acknowledge with a whisper.

He turned further to his left and looked behind me. “Hello Mrs. and Mr. Mecham.”

“Hello Tug, you sure look handsome this morning. It’s good to see you. You too Elliot.” Miriam responded from behind me.

ELLIOT! My head snapped over to look past Judy. Elliot sitting on her left. AH HA! Now I know how this came about. Elliot and Judy had this planned. Father please forgive me for I am contemplating murdering my no good rotten brother and his girlfriend. I grinned a wicked smile at Elliot. “Hello Elliot.” It was forced through clinched teeth.

“Hi cousin. You sure look pretty this morning. Mrs. Mecham you look awfully nice this morning.” He was beaming from ear to ear. He reached over and put his right hand on top of Judy’s left hand. “And you always look beautiful.”

Judy smiled. “Thank you Elliot.”

“I have two purses in my car. Do you want me to take that one now or do you want to leave it in my car later.” Tank was laughing as he looked at my yellow purse.

I dropped my right hand down on my purse. “You already have two and I only have one. I think I’ll keep this one if you don’t mind.”

“Well, if you are going to be stingy about it then I guess I’ll let you keep one.” Tank was still laughing.

“That’s big of you.” I shot back a volley.

“I’m a big guy, I can afford to be generous.” Tank bounced back the volley.

I didn’t have a reply as I shook my head and smiled at the idea Tug would trade low brow insults with me.

“You have a beautiful smile Barbara.” Tank reached over and put his left hand on top of my right one.

I blushed from my head down to my yellow heels. “Thank you.”

God didn’t toss a lightning bolt at me. All of us managed to make it out of church when it was over. I didn’t think I would be heading back home with Elliot as we moved out to the parking lot. I was hoping Judy and I would head back to her house for jeans and sneakers.

Elliot dashed those hopes when he turned his attention to Judy. “You and Barbara want to go get a pizza with Tank and me?”

'No, no, no, no, a thousand times no.' I was thinking in my mind.

Judy looked at her mother. “May Barbara and I go with Elliot and Tank for pizza?”

Miriam looked over at Bill who nodded in the affirmative. She looked back at Judy. “I know school is out, but I don’t want you staying out past twelve.”

Twelve? 'No, no, no! ask me! ask me!' I was waiting for someone to ask me what I thought of this plan.

“Thanks mom.” She reached up and gave Miriam a hug before grabbing my hand pulling me off in the direction of Elliot’s Mustang. “Let’s go Barbara, before they change their minds.”

'No, no, no, please give them time to change their minds.' I was silently begging as I reluctantly followed along with Judy.

Tank stepped up beside me and put his arm around my waist as Judy broke off and moved in beside Elliot where he put his arm around her waist as we walked to the car. 'Joy, oh endless joy I’m in a dress and heels until midnight.' I was positive Elliot would find a way to stay out that long even if he had to invent new things to do.

Tank opened the passenger door and held the seat up as I stepped into the back. I held my skirt and settled into the seat as I contemplated Judy and Elliot’s slow death. Tank worked his way into the back seat with me and I mean worked. That boy almost didn’t fit in the back. Judy settled in the passenger seat as Elliot held the door before he closed it and walked around to the driver’s side. Seconds later he was slowly moving out of the parking lot. Tug reached over and took my right hand in his left. I gave him a sincere smile. Little did Tug know I was smiling because of I was thinking of Elliot’s immediate pending death.

I figured the Pizza Hut because it was close to where we were. Oh no, Elliot had other plans. He drove out to Clarkston which is ten miles out of town. He pulled into Ken’s Short Stop and killed the Mustang. I had been there a time or two with Elliot. Great, just great, it was a favorite watering hole of the teenage set. Everyone managed to get out of the car and pair off as Judy and Elliot led the way into Ken’s. The first Sunday after school had finished for the summer and the place was packed with bodies.

“Hey Elliot, Judy!” Rang out from across the room.

“Jerry.” Elliot waved at a kid who had stood up and hollered.

Jerry was waving us over. I recognized him as a wide receiver for the Wildcats football team. He was with Jo Madden one of the Wildcat cheerleaders. There was another couple sitting with their backs to us.

We headed for their table across the room. Jerry indicated the chairs. “Pull up and take a load off. Hi Judy, Tank. Who’s the new face?”

Tank stepped up to the table and pulled back a chair. “Jerry, Jo, Sally Ann, Ken, this is Barbara Peck from Dallas. She’s visiting Judy this week.”

I thanked God Tug didn’t mention Buddy or the prom, or that I was Elliot’s cousin.

“Peck? Elliot, I know you don’t have a sister living in Dallas. Is Barbara your cousin?” Sally Ann was giving me a real close once over.

Obviously I thanked God prematurely. I recognized Sally Ann. She was another Wildcat cheerleader. Kenneth, her boyfriend, was a tight end on the Wildcat team.

Elliot seated Judy and found his place beside her. “She is.”

“Pretty girl. You and Judy are all dressed up. Did you come from church?” Sally Ann was data mining.

“We did.” Elliot was looking for a menu. “Has anyone ordered yet?”

“We ordered about ten minutes ago. I think their cook is on vacation. We might have to send the girls back to cook it for us.” Ken offered up, as he winked at Sally Ann.

“Not today.” Jo responded before Sally Ann could.

“Judy and Barbra might waitress. I bet no one would care if they got a plate if they were serving.” Jerry offered as he looked at me.

“And Sally Ann and I are also rans? I’m not sure I like that.” Jo looked like she was ready to leave.

I took a second look at Jo and then Sally Ann. The girls were cheerleaders for goodness sakes. They had all the right curves in all the right places. Maybe not as abundantly as Judy, but they had them. They were wearing jeans and blouses but were certainly beautiful girls, no matter how they were dressed. I looked at Jerry and shook my head. “Careful, Jerry, I suggest you apologize profusely and crawfish your way back out.”

Judy looked surprised as she glanced in my direction before looking over at Jerry. “Barbara is right. Humble pie should be on your menu about now, along with a little crow, and many many compliments to Jo and Sally Ann about how pretty they are. You also need to acknowledge how gracious it was of them to allow you boys to come along.”

Jerry took the hint. “Jo, I meant you and Sally Ann too. Have I told you how pretty you are today?”

Jo turned her head slightly away from Jerry and patted her hair. “That’s a start. A little more groveling and I might forgive you.”

That did it. I couldn’t help myself as I started laughing. It struck me as funny how easily the girls handled the boys. They used their beauty to their advantage. The guys knew it and they liked it as much as the girls did.

Judy got tickled when I did. She started laughing. Everyone joined in on the laughter, as all was forgiven for the boy’s mistake.

Jo looked over at Judy and checked her out from top to bottom. “You were a Junior Wildcat cheerleader. Have you decided yet if you want to be a High School Wildcat cheerleader?”

Judy nodded in the affirmative. “I didn’t fill out the form before the end of school though. I hadn’t made up my mind. I probably missed my chance since the openings are filled at the end of each school year.”

“Not always. We have transfers in the summer for unexplained reasons as parents move in and out. We had three cheerleaders graduate this year. I held an opening for you. I was hoping you would fill one of those vacancies.” Jo waited for an answer.

“Thank you. Sure, I’d love to be a Wildcat cheerleader.” Judy jumped at the opportunity she thought she had waited too long to sign up for.

“I’ll send you the details on the uniform.” Jo turned her attention toward me. “Barbara, how about you?”

“Me what?” I wasn’t sure what the question was.

“How would you like to be a Wildcat cheerleader?” Jo looked serious.

“Cough, cough.” I did my favorite trick again as I choked and turned beet red from the top of my head to the soles of my feet.

“Barbara is from Dallas.” Offered on my behalf, Judy was smiling as she shook her head.

“I heard. She could transfer, or her parents might move down here. One can never tell.” Jo was digging through her purse.

“Found it.” She pulled out several sheets of paper stapled together. She reached across the table and handed them to me. “Here Barbara, fill these out and send them back to me. You never know. You might want to transfer out of Dallas before you graduate out of high school. What school do you go to there, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“FFiigghhttinngg Mavericks.” Elliot and Judy said simultaneously.

“Fighting Mavericks? I know a cheerleader there. Shosho Lee, she has the prettiest eyes you ever saw. Do you know her?” Sally Ann joined in the conversation.

“I…, uh…, maybe. I’m not sure. The name sounds familiar.” I choked out.

“Oh you would know her if you ever met her. No one could forget that girl and her eyes, after they've met her one time.” She’s a senior this year. Look her up and tell her Sally Ann said hi. I think you should join her cheerleader squad.”

“Not now Sally Ann, Barbara is going to transfer and join our cheer leading squad. She wants to be a Wildcat not a Fighting Maverick. Don’t you Barbara?” Jo was indicating for me to agree.

“Uh, ah, sounds like fun.” I finally managed to get it out.

I was saved when the food was brought out to the table. Scott was the kid who brought the food. He played tight end for the Grant High Chargers. I didn’t know all the other kids names whom Elliot and I had played against, but I knew the outstanding ones. Scott was one of those who would make pro after college. I remembered the game three years back when Elliot and I played against the Chargers.

It seemed Scott always made all the right moves at all the right instances. By the time our defense reached their quarterback, Scott usually was receiving a pass downfield and making good yardage. I made all of Elliot’s games after he moved up to high school. Scott got better with each year. If there had been any other good players on the Grant High Chargers football team they would have been going to state the past two years that Scott had been playing for them.

Scott turned to Elliot, after he set the other kids meals on the table. “Hi Elliot, Tank, hello Judy, and friend. What will it be?”

“Burger and coke.” Judy ordered before anyone else.

They all looked at me waiting for me to make a decision. “Uh…, same.”

“Burger, fries, Dr. Pepper.” Elliot didn’t hesitate.

“Sounds good, I’ll have that burger, fries and a Dr. Pepper.” Tank finished up.

“Got it, back in a few minutes.” Scott was headed across the room to clean up a table other kids had left.

“Come on over to the club after you finish and try some moves with us.” Jo was looking at Judy before she nibbled on her burger.

Judy glanced in my direction. I was positive I saw a hint of the devil in her eyes before she turned her attention back to Jo. “We’ll be there.”

Silently, I moaned. I knew they were talking about the Pro Club. Jo’s dad managed the place. It was where the Wildcat cheerleaders practiced when school wasn’t in session. I had hoped we would go home, change clothes and Buddy would find his way home from Church Camp. Obviously it wasn’t going to happen the way I had hoped.

The others stayed until we ate our burgers. We headed for the cars and the drive over to the club. I was counting small favors as I was from out of town and didn’t own a cheerleader uniform. I couldn’t be expected to participate.

After Elliot and Jerry parked we grouped up and headed for the entrance to the club. Jo waved at the security guard as all of us walked in the big double glass doors.

He indicated he'd noticed as he stood up and took a good look at Judy and me. I figured he was one of the lifeguards or something. He was muscular and tanned and he could have stepped off the front page of one of the men’s magazines. “Jo, the guys have to wait in the gym.”

Jo pointed off to a doorway to our left. “Guys, to the gym. We will be out shortly. I noticed Brenda, Kaylee, and several of the other cheerleaders are already here. Go encourage them while we change.” She walked through a double set of doors to her right as she was talking.

I started to walk with the boys as they turned left. Judy grabbed my arm. “Barbara, come with us.”

“But…,”

Judy led me through the double doors as I was protesting. We followed Jo and Sally Ann down a wide hall to another set of doors leading off to our left. We walked through the doors into the women’s locker room. AND I FELT COLD FEAR CLUTCH AT MY HEART! I tried to turn to leave.

Judy wasn’t having any of it as she held my arm. “Jo, Barbara and I didn’t bring a uniform.”

Jo pointed toward a door at the other end of the locker room. “All extra uniforms are in there. Go pick out a couple and meet us out on the court after you and Barbara change.”

“Cough, cough, change!” I couldn’t believe Judy would think I would change into a Wildcat cheerleader uniform.

Judy had my arm and was pulling me toward the door Jo had indicated. Come on Barbara, let’s find a couple uniforms and work out with the Wildcats.”

“Work out…? Are you outta your ever loving mind…? What are you thinking, or not thinking?” I managed to whisper as we walked through the door at the other end of the room.

Judy waited until the door shut behind as before she turned loose of my arm. She put her hands on her hips and looked at me. “Okay Barbara, it’s just a uniform. Think of it as a bikini with a skirt and top. We really don’t show that much. The idea is we are showing everything when we aren’t. Think about it for a second. Have you ever seen any cheerleader show too much?”

“Well…,” Actually I hadn’t, come to think of it. It was a short skirt and their panties showed an awful lot when they were bouncing around, but then, girls showed more skin when they were in the pool or the lake.

Judy walked around behind me and unzipped my dress. “Let’s go play.”

She walked over to the row of Wildcat cheerleader uniforms hanging in plastic clothes bags along the wall and took one out of it’s bag. “This was Toni Dendons outfit. She graduated four years ago. It was nice of her to donate one of her uniforms to the Wildcat Cheerleader Club. I think it will fit you perfectly. Slip out of your heels, and dress.”

Reluctantly I did as Judy suggested. She handed me the maroon panties to the uniform and I slipped them on. The maroon uniform was next, as I let it slip down over my head. Judy zipped it up from the back. The top of the dress was sleeveless, with an open, v neckline. It was the short maroon skirt that worried me. It was short. I mean it just by the barest minimums covered my panties. I knew the girls wore them short. I didn’t understand how short until I was wearing one myself.

Judy removed another Wildcat cheerleader uniform from a plastic bag. The name on the left breast was Cynthia. I thought I knew all the cheerleaders in high school and junior high. Elliot played in high school and I went to all his games this past year. Even when a person is warming the bench, like I did in junior high, they get to know all the cheerleaders. I tried to recall a Cynthia, but no girl came to mind. She had to have graduated four years or better ahead of Elliot.

Judy was digging through a locker. She tossed a pair of sneakers back in my direction as she pulled out a second pair. “The girls who are trying out are supposed to wear sneakers, but just in case someone forgot, the ex cheerleaders toss in a pair when they donate a uniform to the club.

I was surprised by the condition of the sneakers Judy tossed at me. I honestly thought they would be well used, but they were just the opposite, they looked brand new. “These aren’t the ones they wore all year are they?”

Judy giggled as she motioned for me to turn my back to her. “I don’t think any of the girls donate any sneakers they ever wore. It’s kind of a unspoken agreement that if they want to donate their sneakers, they purchase new ones to donate.”

I turned my back and heard her unzip her dress. “Why would they do that?”

“Most of the cheerleaders are proud to be a Wildcat cheerleader. Every head cheerleader donates one of her uniforms to the club when she graduates. They may not have their names engraved on any plaques or trophies in the school hallways, so this is their way of receiving a place in history for their tireless work. They want to give every girl who comes along behind them the opportunity to be a Wildcat cheerleader. It has a lot to do with pride in being someone who supports the athletic teams and the school events. Most people think being a cheerleader is nothing but fluff. I promise you, it is everything but. We train hard to get our acts down so we look polished and professional. We try and give our teams inspiration to try a little harder by letting them know we are behind them one hundred percent. Okay, turn around.”

I turned back around. I was insanely jealous. Judy looked like the All American Girl. If there ever was a poster girl for cheerleaders she had to be the one, except for one small detail. The name over her left breast should have said Judy instead of Cynthia.

“Hang up your dress on the hanger you took the uniform off of. Let’s go see if we can compete with a few dozen other girls who want to be a Wildcat.” She was putting her dress on the hanger as she was talking.

“Few dozen other girls?” I was thinking it would be Jo and Sally Ann and us.

“Tryouts Barbara. This is one of the days Jo will look over the wannabes and decide who gets to go on to the next round and who becomes part of the pep club.” Judy had hung up her dress and was waiting by the door.

“Why don’t I go wait with Elliot and Tug?” I was positive I didn’t want to try out. I had no reason to want to tryout. It was foolish to even think such a thing.

“Not now. You’re coming with me. Come on, let’s go give it our best.” Judy opened the door and waited.

“I know your best and there isn’t anyone any better.” I mumbled, as I passed her back into the hall.

Judy giggled as she stepped up beside me. “That was a sweet compliment. The proof is in the tryouts, not in what we did last year. I don’t get an automatic okay because I was a junior high Wildcat.”

“Whew, thank goodness. For a minute there I didn’t think I stood a chance of beating you out. Nice to know we are on a level playing field.” I responded, hoping my voice was dripping with cynicism.

“More than you know Barbara. More than you know.” Judy opened the door leading into the gym.

Some boys were shooting baskets on the far end of the court. Jo and Sally Ann were on the left side of the basketball court talking to a dozen or more girls. Only three others were in Wildcat cheerleader uniforms. The rest were in shorts or wearing tennis skirts. I hesitated. “Judy, I don’t belong in this uniform. I know those girls who are wearing uniforms. They are all Wildcat cheerleaders, the same as you.”

Judy leaned over close to my ear. “Barbara, you belong in that uniform. Keep in mind you are visiting from Dallas. If anyone asks, you borrowed the uniform so you could tryout with me today.”

“I’m going to hell for telling lies on Sunday yet.” I was positive God was going to get me, even if He didn’t strike me down in church this morning.

Judy giggled as we walked up to the group.

Jo looked over in our direction and nodded. “Okay, now that everyone is here let’s see what we can do. Everyone, three rows, leave a couple yards between you and the person in front of you and two arm’s length to each side of you.”

She waited as we struggled to find our place in three rows. The first row ended up with four girls and the next two rows ended up with five girls. I was on the left outside of the last row and Judy was to my right.

Jo nodded in agreement when we finally settled into place. “Okay, the first cheer goes like this.”
“Wildcat, Wildcat is our name.
Wildcat, Wildcat is our game,
Wildcat, Wildcat can’t be tamed”

“Everyone on the count of three, one, two, three.” She immediately called off.

Judy was in perfect timing, along with four other girls wearing Wildcat uniforms. I had a couple of years sitting on the bench chanting with the cheerleaders. I stumbled on the first couple words and then caught up.

“Let’s do it again and tell our team we want them to win.” Jo stretched down and out with her right leg behind her as she put her weight on her left leg and crouched down. Her left arm was up against her left breast and her right arm was out behind her, in line with her right leg.

“Wildcat, Wildcat is our name.” She brought her right arm forward up against her right breast.
“Wildcat, Wildcat, is our game.” She stretched both arms out with her hands open, palm up.
“Widcat, Wildcat can’t be tamed.” She pushed up with her left leg as she brought her right up and jumped up in the air, both arms extended straight up, doing the splits, as she screamed. “GOooooo WILDCATS!”

“On three. One, two, three.” She called off.

Judy and I were down and stretched out, along with the other four girls who managed to get the chant right the first time. I was in serious trouble. All the time I was watching the girls do it and chanting along with them, they made it look easy and fun. It wasn’t easy to crouch on the left leg with the right extended out behind. It wasn’t easy to think of the chant at the same time one was putting in all the body English. It wasn’t easy to hold the arms out level. It wasn’t easy to push up with the left leg and bring the right up at the same time. I thought I was in pretty good shape playing football. I wasn’t in good shape. Not for competing with the cheerleaders. I thought cheerleaders were fluff bunnies. I was the one who was a fluff bunny. I managed somehow, as we jumped into the air and screamed our lungs out, “GOoooooo WILDCATS!” And no I didn’t do any splits either. I didn’t feel too bad though. Judy and two other girls were the only ones besides Jo to do the splits as they jumped in the air.

Every now and then I’d get a glimpse of the guys shooting baskets down the court, as they stopped and watched as Jo led us girls through the different routines. Elliot and Tug had come in from outside at some point and climbed up in the bleachers to watch. Jo had us go through a couple different cheers which were all too familiar. I had watched a lot of cheerleading from the bench the past couple years.

Ten or fifteen minutes later Jo shifted our positions. The three other girls wearing cheerleader uniforms, along with Sally Ann, Judy, and myself, moved to the front. Again Jo led us into more routines which they had done all last year. And the year before that. And the year before and…,

Finally, forty minutes later, tryouts were over. I was starting to hurt in places I didn’t know I had, as I gained a new perspective on how hard the girls worked as cheerleaders. Never again would I think of them as fluff bunnies. Judy motioned for me to wait as she walked over to talk to Sally Ann and Jo.

Several basketballs had been rolling toward the cheerleaders for the past forty minutes. The girls at the back would kick them back across the court. I strongly suspected some of those errant balls were on purpose as the guys wanted to get the attention of the girls. I walked out on the court as I waited for Judy so we could go home. I heard the basketball hit the backboard and roll across the court in my direction. Turning around to look, it was rolling straight at me. I dipped my right toe underneath it and picked it up catching it in my hands. Short as I was I could have bent down and picked it up easy enough. The idea was, in grade school I spent months perfecting that move, thinking it looked smooth. Elliot never could do that trick. Probably had something to do with his feet being a lot bigger than mine. His feet weren’t as easy to get under the edge of the basketball. I didn’t tell him why I thought he couldn’t do that trick when I could. I finally was able to do something in sports Elliot couldn’t do, even if it never counted in any official game.

“Over here, Princess.” One of the players across the court was holding out his hands, indicating he wanted a return.

Elliot and I had played a lot of basketball at home, on the driveway. I played in a lot of school games up to the seventh grade. I could still shoot a high percentage of baskets if no one was blocking my shots. The problem was, those kids who kept on growing also got longer arms. It didn’t take Einstein to figure out a five foot five kid, matched up against a six foot something player with arms like airplane wings, was at a terrible disadvantage. The concept was of trying to shoot past a moving, bouncing billboard. They could smother me with their height and their reach. I became a bench warmer in basketball too, until I finally dropped out in the eighth grade. Standing a few feet ahead of the half court line, I didn’t have the strength to pump a shot back into the basket from where I was standing, unless I put a lot of body English on it.

I ran forward and gave it my best. As soon as it left my right hand I knew I had it. I turned back around toward the girls while it was still airborne. I heard the snick of nothing but net as it passed through the rim.

“Hey Princess, I bet you can’t do that again.” Echoed across the court, as a ball started bouncing in my direction.

I turned around and caught the ball with the toe of my right foot, again tossing it up into my hands as it rolled up to me,.

“WHAT ARE THE ODDS?”

I recognized Elliot’s voice as he hollered across the gym.

“Hundred to one.” The guy standing by the basket hollered back.

“FIVE CENTS SAYS SHE CAN!” Elliot hollered back.

“You’re covered. Get out your money loser.” The guy yelled back.

“YOU GET OUT YOUR FIVE DOLLARS! Elliot dug up a nickel as he looked down at me.

I shook my head no, hoping Elliot would back out. I ran at the basket and launched the ball. I didn’t have to look. It also felt good as it left my hand. I turned and looked up at Elliot shaking my head no, as the ball hit the rim and rattled the backboard before passing through the net.

“DAMN!” Came from across the court. “Hey Princess, one more time, okay?”

All the cheerleaders had stopped to watch, along with the guys across the court.

I could hear the ball coming in my direction. I turned and caught it again as it reached me.

“She makes it, you get your money back. She doesn’t make it, you get your money back.” Elliot yelled across the court.

“What kind of bet is that?” Rang back across the court from the guy next to the basket.

“A sucker bet.” Elliot yelled back at him.

“You’re on. Okay Princess do your thing.” He yelled back.

I was working on percentages by now. I wasn’t too sure I could do it three times in a row from the distance I was trying. Just outside the three point circle I could make better than ninety six percent of my shots. From where I was standing I dropped down to less than eighty percent. I dribbled the ball a couple times to get my mental state built up. I was ready as I ran and launched. It didn’t feel that great when it left my hands but it didn’t feel bad either. It hit the rim, bounced up, hit the backboard and fell back through the net.

“SHE’S ON OUR TEAM!” Rang out from one of the other guys, who had been watching from across the gym.

“THE HECK YOU SAY! SHE WAS SHOOTING MY BALL, SHE’S ON OUR TEAM. PRINCESS, YOU CAN PLAY ON OUR TEAM ANY DAY!” Came from the guy by the backboard who had been catching the ball.

Jo was looking at me kind of funny. She was laughing as she shook her head. “She can be on anybody’s team she darn well pleases with that kind of power.”

Yeah, until they put a six or seven foot walking, jumping wall in front of my face, with arms like airplane wings. I was thinking to myself.

Judy was giggling as she walked up beside me. “Show off.”

Elliot and Tug walked down from the bleachers. Elliot gave me a wink as he nodded with his head it was time to go. “Way to go Barbara.”

We were walking across the court headed toward the exit when one of the guys called across the gym. “Hey Princess, want to give it one last shot?”

The ball was bouncing across the floor in our direction as all of us turned to look. I stepped up and caught it, picking it up with my toe. “Elliot you want to try?”

Elliot shook his head. “Show us how it’s done
Barbara.”

“Tug, Judy?” I was looking to see if they wanted to try it.

Judy laughed as she looked across the court. Everyone in there was watching and waiting. “They want to see you miss. Prove them wrong again Barbara.”

I really didn’t think I would be able to prove them wrong. Shooting from half court was as much luck as anything having to do with skill. I couldn’t power it that far, except by swinging it under handed like pitching a softball. I needed a lot of run before I launched it. I sighed as I took a couple steps backwards and bounced it to get the feel of it and a mental picture in my mind. It didn’t mean a whole lot. We weren’t going to win or lose a game on this one shot. I stopped, closed my eyes and got a mental picture. So I missed? So what? I held the ball before running forward and swinging the ball underhanded launching it into space just before I reached the half court line. From that distance it had to go into a high aerial arc just to get to the backboard.

Time seemed to slow to a crawl as the ball went up, up, up before it started its route back down toward the backboard. Everyone’s head was turning as all eyes followed the basketball through the air as it flew across the court. Of course it came down with the same force it went up with. It wasn’t clean and it wasn’t pretty as it clipped the rim. The whole backboard shook and rattled. With more luck than skill, I made the shot.

“SIGN THAT GIRL UP FOR THE PROS!” Rang out across the court.

up
295 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Every tranny has to learn that lesson ...

Is she gonna be a girl or not? Besides a year on hormones and she won't have the strength to do that. She just made the boys look bad, not a move for an aspiring woman.

G

Not to sure that being on

Not to sure that being on hormones would necessarily mess up Barbara's moves. She already stated she was 5'5", and from everything else mentioned in the story so far, s/he apparently has a body type very similar to the girls around him/her. A half court throw is not easy to do even for pro players. She is doing it underhand, which is more in line with what a girl would actually try with. Most boys/men would try to lob it in for the basket just like they were dunking it at either the 2 or 3 point lines. What I fear is this exhibition is going to seal his fate and he will find himself both as a Cheerleader and a basketball player on the girl's team. Gooooooo Barbara!!!!

not to sure being on part 2

I do not think Buddy aka Barbara sees things that way yet Janice Lynn but all in all I truly think Barbara should remain because all her actions/body movements and height indicate to me that she is way more of a girl than a boy in all respects, perhaps she will pick up on that soon....would be a waste in a way if she didn't because I think Barbara is way classier than Buddy ever could be and appears to be having way more fun even if Buddy keeps kicking back up to the surface to erode her fun LOL

so if he didn't want to be a

so if he didn't want to be a cheerleader why didn't he just screw up the tryouts?

Hero/heroine seems happier now than in eariler chapters but ...

he/she is still uncomfortable with much of what has happened.

Conversely AFTER the fact "Barbara" seems to have enjoyed much of her time as Barbara. But the way it is being done show that it was planned well in advance. It also is evident that they had no intention of letting HIM go back to his old life anytime soon if at all. Tying in with my last comment they lied about how long he’d stay a girl as demonstrated by the strange multiple piercing very feminine earrings.

Even the young man who often think of nasty things to say back and ways to get even but only THINKS them -- IE "cartoon violence," ”Barbara “ is too decent to actually hurt or upset someone -- called them to task about the earrings that requires a SPECIAL TOOL that conveniently is not in stock and won't be for well over a week.

Tug is clearly in on this. He has also been nothing but gentle and protective of “Barbara” so what gives?

The story -- told from the child's viewpoint thus it is incomplete and has a bias -- is alternately borderline nasty/almost sadistic then sweet/loving/funny in a good way.

That the older brother has long been his protector tells me this is all done out of love for his sibling. Unless the brother has taken a Jekyll and Hyde formula and is now EVIL! Muh ha ha!

But I, like the younger sibling, wonder WHY? What is behind all this we don’t know?

As a writer you are well advised to hold back clues to maintain suspense but YIKES!

Maybe it's time to give the kid a break!

Or us readers. I’ll bake you a cookie. Please?

--John bats his eyes and pouts his best little kid pout, not easy when you are 56 –

--GRIN --

The difficulty the kid is happening mirrors what I see/feel as a reader.

What seems like picking on "Barbara" as a boy in drag and at times bordering on mild sadism may in fact be kind and loving IF we knew all the actions surrounding the action and/or incident.

Visa Versa what may seem loving could be mean spirited under similar circumstances IE we, as well as the child, are missing key clues.

There is something way back in "Barbara’s'" past that was vaguely alluded to that sounds very important. But what?

All comes down to motivations, the WHYs.

As it stands now the jury is undecided on whether the goal/ends justify the means.

John in Wauwatosa who hopes to read more of this alternately infuriating them loving/funny tale.

John in Wauwatosa

But John,

The end never justifies the means.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

As a general princple I agree

I quote from a comment by Omega Girl on my comments

>>
But John,

The end never justifies the means.
>>

I have trouble with ABSOLUTES as few things in this universe are absolute, even death and taxes.

-- snicker --

But I do agree as far?our hero/heroine has experienced so far what could possibly justify his seeming betrayal?

That is what I am keen to find out.

The clues, assuming there are not red herrings scattered about are highly contradictory. IE the brother's actions seem 180 degrees opposed to his past where he vigorously defended his younger sibling.

Some big secret is *off in the wings*, there is an elephant in the room, something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

IE WTF is really going on here?

This reader wants to know.

Please dear writer? Perhaps a bribe of homemade chocolate chip cookies ...?

John in Wauwatosa

But then according to Catherine an editor of this tale, we are less than halfway into the chapters so...

John in Wauwatosa

Little Finger

Jill Johnson's picture

Nice work Barbie. You have these guys wrapped around your little finger.
Keep the pressure on Honey.
Jill