Julina of Blackstone - 029 - Storms

Printer-friendly version

Julina gets a little forceful as developments continue

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

029 - Storms


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
029 – Storms

“But it's so cold out!” whined Kord. “I don't want to go outside. It's the middle of the night.”

“You'll be sorry if you do not take this opportunity. I myself have seen the like less than a hand of times in my entire life. I promise you you will be fascinated. Now hurry up. Don't spoil it for everyone by making us all miss it. It won't last forever.”

All the while, I was helping the others into warm clothes, and arranging things that would be required. I got Papa to heat a lot of water for the pel we would need to warm us up again once we came back in, and he said he would open up one of the fires as well, the one in the family room. He wouldn't come out himself having seen the effect several times in his longer life.

So much chaos and activity was a rare event indeed in any awake period, but the prospect of seeing a happening that occurred so very seldom made me drive the others. I had noticed the flickering lights when I poked my head out to do a quick check on the weather; I was lucky enough to choose the right heartbeat to do so. Had the lights not flickered just then, I would not have known what was going on.

“Come on, come on, come on. We must hurry, all of you. And Kord, if you try one more delaying tactic, then you shall stay in here and forever wonder about what you missed. Now, MOVE it!”

My chivvying worked, possibly along with Papa's whole-hearted agreement and encouragement, and we all trooped outside before scrambling up the slope a cast or two. I was really worried that the sight would have finished its spectacular show before we all got there, but thankfully the splendour continued long enough for all to be awed by it. Even Kord. Little brat.

The western peaks and ridges were being lit by intermittent flashes. As mentioned, even Kord stopped whinging as the beauty of the near-silent light show worked its magic on his soul. No-one said a word, just stared open-mouthed up at the ridge on the western side of our valley. We had a good quarter of a bell of observation before my voice shattered the spell, and the silence. I ushered them all back in, to a welcome merrily blazing fire and a steaming mug of pel.

Just before I went in, as the last one of course, something caught my eye and made me pause, one hand still holding the door open. I gave a little horrified gasp, which only Kords heard. She turned round immediately and came back to me, worry and concern in her eyes. I just pointed downvalley and she gasped too, her hand going automatically to somewhere between her chest and the base of her throat, just exactly as my hand had done to mine. We looked at each other in concern and looked back downvalley. The awful sight was still there. We were unable to tear our eyes away until, all of a sudden, it just disappeared. We sort of blinked and were about to say something about it.

Just then, Kord wanted help inside; Kords and I we looked at each other, both more than a little scared. Our eyes agreed not to say anything to the others, so we made our faces neutral and went back in to join the rest of them in the family room. It was surreal to see everyone else acting so … so … so normal.

Swayga held Papa's hand and smiled a thank you at him as he poured mugs of pel, handing them round as Kords and I helped the others out of their outdoor clothes and back into their sleeping clothes. They all wanted to talk about what they had just seen and experienced but didn't really know where to start. Meanwhile Kords and I were struggling with our little 'secret'.

It was Swayga who asked the first question: “Well that was certainly impressive, I have seen nothing like it before. Pray tell us, Kordulen or Julina. What exactly was it? I can make a guess, but would like to know for certain.”

I glanced at Papa, but he nodded for me to take the lead here in this chat. After all, it was I who had raised all this middle-of-the-night activity.

“What, my dear mother-to-be, is your guess? But first, does anyone else want to make a guess?”

I looked round, but they all decided to wait for Swayga to continue so I gestured for her to do so.

“I have seen something similar before. I remember when I was a little girl, sitting on the sea wall that makes Viridor's harbour, wondering if I could see my parents out there on the huge expanse of blue. I was sitting in the sunshine, swinging my legs over the waves that were crashing against the wall. It never occurred to me that what I was doing was dangerous, until I became an adult. It was just something all we kids did, lined up on the top of the sea wall, just sitting there, giggling and telling jokes and sometimes punching each other. Normal kids stuff. ... Hmmmmm ... But I have drifted away from the topic. Sorry. While I was sitting there one day, I observed a thunderstorm way out to sea, and the silent flashes I saw then were similar to what we have just seen, but that storm had only dark clouds to see the flashes against. Here we had mountains and the night sky to provide a far more impressive picture.”

“Excellent. Good observations. That is exactly what it was. A thunderstorm, but not here, it was in the next valley. The storm itself was probably about our altitude, maybe even a little lower, but the rock walls of the valley hid it from us. All we could see were the flashes of light from the lightning, light that was travelling UPWARDS from the storm clouds and bouncing off the rocks. And we could hear the odd rumble of the thunder, but muted by the distance it had to travel. It always amazes me just how long the sound takes to reach us as compared with the time taken for the light to reach us.”

“Thank you, 'Lina, for making us go and see something so eerily beautiful,” finished Swayga, looking meaningfully round the other faces. It worried me slightly that I could see no sign of tiredness from the children. Had I made them do too much to be able to sleep again for the rest of the night?

The others did all add their thanks, even little Mister Grumpy, Kord. Then a torrent of conversation started as they all described to each other what they had seen. I actually grinned a little at the futility of that, since they had all been there and seen it for themselves – but children will be children, I suppose.

As I suspected, it took them a considerable time to get back to sleep after this awake period, but they did.

Thank the Maker I had slept well in the first sleep period.

It took Kords and I much, much longer to sleep again. We could not dismiss the scary sight that only we had seen.

And my dreams were scary as well. It was not an easy rest. In fact, Kords and I ended up in one bed, cuddling for security and comfort.

… … …

The next morning's Tai Chi helped us both, and I confess I was delighted when I saw all the members of my family taking part. Kissa seemed to be more of a natural at it than any of the rest of us. I got flustered in the second form when I advanced the wrong foot at the wrong time. It seemed very simple but remembering all the moves was taking a lot of my mental strength so I was usually half or maybe a whole heartbeat after everyone else. Kissa on the other hand just seemed to flow from one movement to the other with no effort whatsoever. And I wasn't the only one observing that. Some around her were copying her rather than the day's leader, and that created a sort of mini-knot of people. Sookie and Master B took particular notice.

… … ...

“You four run down to the Baker's please, and get our bread. Here is some coin to pay our account. Swayga and I need to talk to 'Lina and Kords for a second. Make sure you bring back the correct change.”

They scampered off, delighted to be doing a chore for Papa. I was just a little hurt, as every time I had given them chores there had been scowls and grumpy faces. But the crisp air, and the bright sunshine that suddenly poured over the ridge to the east as the lazy sun finally got out of bed and shone directly on us at last, and the empowerment from the Tai Chi all combined to ensure that any negative feelings were quite despatched.

Nearly.

There was still a remnant of my scary experience from the night before.

“Now, you two. There is something worrying you both. It was noticeable when you all came in from watching the thunderstorm over yonder, and you were sleeping together when we roused you this morning. Pray tell us both what it is that has happened to worry you both so deeply?”

I looked at Kords and she looked at me, finally gesturing that I should be the one to explain. I took a heartbeat or two to consider how to say what I had to. That pause was almost too long, as Papa took a breath to speak again. I rushed in to fill the gap before he could start.

“Papa. I … we … were scared by something we saw outside just as we were coming in the door. I have worried about it and can find no explanation at all.”

Another pause before, and after, my next sentence: “We both saw a frightening sight,” I swallowed this time as well, and cast a quick glance at Kords, mostly for support. She nodded encouragingly.

“I glanced down the valley to see if I could see in the bright moonlight what was happening to the clouds - to gain a clue as to what to expect from the weather today.” Pause. “As I did so, I saw a strange light. It sometimes seemed just one source, and then two. It was like some animal staring at us with a pale silvery light in its eyes. The head seemed to be floating in mid-air and its unblinking stare looked at us. Again, I stress that sometimes there seemed to be two eyes, sometimes just one. It quite chilled me to the bone. And Kords saw it too, so it wasn't my imagination. Here, now, in the sunlight it doesn't seem so dreadful, but in the middle of the night, I found it very worrying. We didn't want to upset the other children, so we kept quiet about it.”

“Maker! I can understand your concerns. Disembodied eyes staring at you. There must be some other explanation. You are not one to make up stories like that, so I must believe you. I will see if I can find an explanation during the day today – failing that I shall observe this strangeness myself if it reappears at the same time this coming night.”

“Thank you, Papa. I confess I feel just a little easier now.”

We turned to go and meet the children when we were joined by Masters B and Yarling and Horran, the latter of whom looked a little uncomfortable. But it was he who wished to communicate, as we could tell by all their body postures. He cleared his throat and swallowed before opening his mouth to speak. His eyes went first to Papa, as was normal, but somehow I knew that his remarks were really for me. I waited patiently as the politenesses were performed.

“Master Kordulen was it? Mistresses Swayga and Julina ... young lady.” He paused after looking at Kords and acknowledging her presence. We all murmured a greeting back, as he switched attention once more to Papa. “Happens that I find I must apologise to your daughter for the behaviour of the man I brought with me.”

He turned his head slightly and spoke directly to me: “Mistress, Julina – I don't understand what 'is problem were, but 'e were ever tenser as we came up 'ere. He departed, alone, some three quarters of a bell ago, t' Steward having banished him. 'e'll be troubling you no longer. As man in charge, I must apologise on 'is behalf. 'e were rude, and that's a fact. We're all sorry.” He took a breath before continuing: “On t' other hand, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you on a fine dinner, and 'twere good to see a well-run team in action. I'm told ye're the one as runs it. So I give you both apologies and congratulations.”

“Guildmaster, it was really almost nothing. The man was rude certainly, but not anything I have not previously encountered. And he is departed. I confess I dislike the man intensely and am grateful we built in the fork checks in the Salon. I wondered if he was deliberately trying to take one of our forks or whether it was indeed the habit that he claimed to pocket his fork. Kelly handled that really well I thought.”

“Aye, she did. A good reflection of their team leader, I see. I must confess it surprised me, for I couldn't recall seeing 'im use a fork at meals. But then we eat together rarely. It's only on this trip that we have been so close day in and day out.”

“I thank you for your concern and also your appreciation of our efforts to provide you with a good meal.”

“'Twere better than most I 'ave 'ad in Tranidor and many I 'ave 'ad in Dekarran, I can tell you. I shall be tellin' many as come 'ere to try to get an invitation to your Salon. Now, if only you could get some decent wine to go with t' food, then I would ha' been in t' Palace!”

“You are very kind, Guildmaster. I'm flattered, and I appreciate your taking the trouble to do this. Now, may I present more formally my father, Master Kordulen, and his wife-to-be Mistress Swayga? And this is my sister, Kordulet. I know you met them all briefly on the road yestere'en, but 'twas very informal. Father is Blackstone's road inspector and responsible for the maintenance of all the roads, roadside ditches and roadstones.”

“A big responsibility, Master. But from what I seen, you 'ave done well. Most orderly indeed. Most orderly! And a family to be proud of.”

“I thank you.” said Papa, inclining his head in acknowledgement, “on both counts. The road responsibility has but recently become even larger, Guildmaster, now Milady's lands have expanded. I find I must recruit some extra assistants. And yet I am conscious that the town's payroll is ever widening. Our Assembly do wonders balancing both the tasks to be done and the finances. I know not what contract you have with the Town and such matters are probably above my head, but it seems we have found a workable and mutually beneficial balance for the time being.”

A strange look settled on the Guildmaster's face at that moment, one I didn't recognise. Papa told me much later, just before I wrote this tale in fact, that it was the same look I get when I have the start of a thought. If I had recognised the signs, I would have wondered if the idea was a grower, or if it was one that was ready to spring out, fully formed. I assumed his mind worked the same way mine did.

“I thank ye all again, Master Kordulen, Mistress Julina, Mistress Swayga, and you, young lady. Mayhap I shall meet y'all on the road again sometime! Although I confess I still find it strange to see women astride a beast.” He turned from us and looked once more at his companions. “Now, Masters, tell me more about your current construction projects.”

“Well, Guildmaster,” began Master Bezan. “Look downvalley and you will see that the clouds are just a tad lower than they were yesterday. Some of the trees are visible now, and to the west side of the valley, you can see some more features. Indeed, down there, just where that lighter rock face disappears into the cloud, you can see an outcropping. We need to build another semaphore station there, to give us a little more communication for those days when the Strettalm is not so easily visible as it is now. See there, the tall peak more to the left, that is the Strettalm. It towers over the Forest Roadhouse.

“From time to time, the air here is not so clear; Strettalm lies beyond easy sight. And thus we need a further station roughly halfway between here and there. Just as we have had to build another down on the outcrop to the east of the main falls on the Bray. That one is nearly complete thanks to the forester's tracks down there. It will enable Strettalm to communicate with the station up on the hill above the Chaarn road junction, both these not being able to directly see each other. A sixth station is being erected on the border of Milady's lands; we should be able to send messages to beyond Brayview from next week. A seventh is envisaged for the crest of the pass on the Chaarn road which is now the limit of Milady's lands to the north, which will also be visible from the road junction station.

“But for us up here, for more reliability in less favourable weather, we need that extra station, over on the west side where I pointed to beforehand. Of course, to build that intermediate station, we need to make a supply track to the site. And we will make that as a lane leading off the new Loop Road to save the expense of yet another bridge or two. So we must needs finish the Loop Road before we can do that. And now we have the new road to the new stone quarry too. And one to the ancient stone quarry. And before we can finish the Loop Road, then we must …”

“Hold, Bezan. Hold, man!” The Guildmaster interrupted in some agitation. His face had taken on an angry twist, and I think even the men standing next to him were more than a little scared by the ferocity that appeared. I know we women were, every one of us.

“That slimy, conniving, scheming, cheating, coin-grabbing nasty little bastard! Oops, 'scuse me ladies!”

“Guildmaster?”

“I 'ave been more than a little slow, 'aven't I? It just occurred to me when you made your explanations Bezan, just how involved you personally are 'ere in this enterprise. You identify with it very strongly. 'WE need to do this, and WE need to do that. WE decided this and WE discussed that …'. That realisation 'as made summat trip in my mind – sorta like opening some door in there. That, and summat what were said yesterday; Steward told me ye're on t' Town's payroll, ain't yer?”

“Aye, Guildmaster. I have been for many a week now, since long before Milady departed. Why is that relevant?”

“That schemin' little thievin' pakh-rutter (sorry ladies)! That slimeball Brathan. 'e's bin chargin' us for your salary every month. So t' Miners 'ave been paying HIM not you. Maker! No wonder t' man was nervous coming up 'ere. I must needs check every one of his contracts. Is it too late to chase after 'im and arrest the blighter?”

“Mayhap it is, Guildmaster. With that weather, he could disappear into the woods with no trace.”

“I'll have that scheming blighter's balls … Ladies, forgive me. I am overwrought. I need to get a message down to Guildhall as soon as possible to prevent 'im from destroying evidence. Let's away to the Valley Messenger Service office!”

“Excuse me, Guildmaster?”

He was just bustling away when I interrupted his activities.

“Mistress Julina? We are pressed for time.”

“Why not send a message with the semaphore, and have the man arrested when he gets to the Forest Roadhouse? The message would easily overtake him. You would then have plenty of time to get a message downvalley to wherever.”

He stopped his bustling and turned some very shrewd and calculating eyes my way, looking at me with a certain dawning amazement, before saying slowly: “I begin to understand much more. I thank 'ee, Mistress.” He turned to Master B and said: “Aye, a valuable resource that 'un!”

… … …

We rode up to our house, much to the delight of the younger ones, leading the mounts for Swayga and Kords. Sookie, Papa and I had decided that it would help to lessen the amount of riding that Swayga and Kords would have to do, as they were still relatively newcomers. To that end, those two had been sent home along with Pomma who had agreed to look after the younger ones for the estimated three to four bells we would be away.

I can and will never understand how it is that children can cause such chaos, even if not directly involved themselves. This time it was Julu who caused the most problems and she upset me immensely. It's not worth repeating the details, but I was very hurt and very offended by what she did and said. Both Papa and Sookie were getting irritated as we had quite a long ride planned for that morning and time was pressing. Somehow it took another quarter of a bell to leave, so we went quite fast across 'raw' country in a relatively direct direction towards the dam.

I had long since turned on my heel and remounted, otherwise I would have been stuck disciplining the children. I guess that something must have shown on my face because Swayga and Sookie both asked if I was upset. They didn't seem reassured by my terse answer that “Everything's alright.”

I didn't look back as we turned away and commenced our ride, and the others found it awkward to include me in their conversations somehow. This was making my mood worse, so I just shook up Dralla's reins and we ran ever so fast across the ground, ahead of the others for half a mark or so and I screamed out my anger and frustration when I stopped. By the time the others caught up with me, I felt a lot better and apologised. That broke the awkwardness and soon we were all chatting again together. It took a little longer for the laughter to reappear, but it did.

You will remember that Pomma and I had returned from the dam lake just the afternoon before last, accompanied by Papa. So you can imagine my surprise when we turned the final corner in the canyon/valley, the narrow bit just before the dam, and we saw a huge bustle of activity. It reminded me of something, which only occurred to me much later – it was akin to the busy-ness (a word I just invented to be different from 'business') that surrounds Epp's epprihouses.

Anyway, there was the making of a sloping road from the valley floor up to the top of the dam. Which was a complete surprise to me. The way was quite long, more than a few casts.

“Papa? Why are they building a road there and at such an angle?”

“Well, 'Lina m'dear. Why do we need a road here at all? Why the sudden activity here and at the end of the lake?”

“Er – to open the stone quarry and thus have more stone available for the roads and drains, I thought.”

“Precisely. So when things swing into production, what sort of traffic would be using this piece of territory?”

“Wagons, mostly. Or at least, so I deem.”

“And what would be in those wagons?”

(It was at this point that I realised Papa was using me and my answers to educate the others as well.)

“Why the quarried stone of course.”

“Very good. And a wagon full of stone is light in weight?”

I laughed. “No, of course not!”

“So what other route is there for the laden wagons?”

“The way we came back with Pomma the other evening.”

“And please tell the others what way that was.”

“Well, along there, that thing that looks like a path up there. The roof of the thing we now know is called the aqueduct.”

“And what does the aqueduct do?”

“It delivers all our water to the town.”

“And what would happen if a heavily laden wagon were to break through the ancient roof of the aqueduct?”

“Oh!”

The others all drew in their breaths too. Even young Kords.

Sookie said: “Oh Maker! That would be a disaster wouldn't it? I had never fully appreciated just what that aqueduct does for us all. And it's thousands of years old. That is a real danger to us all, isn't it?”

“Aye, Mistress Sukhana …”

“Oh. Please just call me Sookie like most everyone. Julina has become a real friend and it seems so stuffy to keep being so formal with her father.”

“I thank you for the honour, Sookie. And I am Kordulen, usually shortened to 'K'. My parents loaded a big mouthful upon me, I regret.”

I said, sort of under my breath but made sure it was loud enough for him to hear, and in a pretend disgusted tone: “And it's not as if you continued the tradition is it?”

Everyone giggled at that, Kords and Swayga particularly. Even Parry was trying to hide a grin. Papa smiled as well and nodded in my direction, acknowledging a good point made fairly.

“But please, K. Continue.”

“Now, where was I?”

“The dangers of losing the water supply.”

“Ah, yes. The Chivan design is clever, very clever. Most admirable really. But it is very wasteful. Constantly streaming water in both channels whether being used or not. I understand that Milady sent some details that we should try to help with water conservation, and they are being tested – I believe that is another of your Brydas' projects at the moment. However, the increase in population has meant that we are now requiring more water, so the sluices have been opened ever wider and this cannot continue as it stands. So we must ensure we do everything we can to protect that most valuable resource. Which includes not running the risk of collapsing the only system we have.”

“Papa?”

“Yes, Kords?”

“But where will the wagons go when they are down here on the floor? How will they get into town?”

We all murmured in agreement with that question, or those questions, to be more accurate.

“There is still some debate about the exact route, but it will probably follow the way we just used to get up here. That has the advantage of being the gentlest incline. And having a gentle incline is why this sloping road here is so long. We don't want wagons to have to struggle up a steep slope, even if they will mostly be empty. But back to Kords' questions.

“Now, you all know where the new Community Hall is going to be, right? It will have a road approach it from each side. The one to the south of it will zig-zag first up the slope from where the new East Street currently joins the Main Street at the bottom of Town. This road will gain the height of the Hall and then will remain at that height as it follows the hillside round to that new Hall. The road on the other side of the Hall, actually a continuation of the road I have already described, will continue at that height until it reaches the Camping Place, roughly where East Street now starts.”

“But Papa, why this talk about the Community Hall, which isn't even built yet – they've only just started the foundations and then the crew got called off, again, probably to work here, seeing as how I recognise some of the men? I was actually asking about the road to town from the dam.”

He smiled gently at her as he kindly and carefully explained: “Would you have us build yet another road? Suppose we make this road from here join in with the Hall road I have just described, somewhere roughly at the top of its zig-zags? Isn't that a better solution? That way this road will be shorter and will use another already planned road. Advantages all round, really.”

“Ah! Of course!” We all nodded wisely as the facts sank in and came together.

It was Parry who thanked Papa on all of our behalves. I got the impression that all this exposure of his to the decisions being made about the town was maturing him rapidly. Gone was the brashness of his youth in only a few days – it was now about ten days since my first ride, and he was far more confident in himself now than he had been then.

I found myself surprised to be thinking about him at that moment, so I swiftly concentrated once again on what was happening in the group as a whole, and the information that was flowing.

A few more questions and explanations passed forwards and back and then it was pointed out that it was definitely time to move on.

So it was a thoughtful group who continued, trying hard to minimise the disruptions to the workers. We had a few moans from them, but nothing major. It was quite a steep scramble to get up to the level of the dam, we couldn't use the new roadbed yet, and Kords squealed at one point as the angle became uncomfortable – her mount however ensured that she would be safe and she quickly settled back, trusting the beast and our words of support. I suppose our setting an example was also a good help there.

Soon after that, after threading our way past the tangled confusion up at the dam level, we were on the track that ran along beside the lake. I noticed immediately that it was far more worn that it had been only the afternoon before. Even here there were more workers, and I could see two levelling teams – they seemed to be making wide bays beside the track, each bay being some two or three casts long. Sookie asked Papa to explain, which he did willingly – he always likes to be able to explain things to people – and he adopted his 'lecture' tone, which made Kords and I, and, to my surprise, Swayga all roll our eyes and giggle a little bit. Hmmm. Thinking about it, then maybe that's where I get it from, my happiness and willingness to teach. I decided that too was a thought to file away and ponder later.

“These largish bays you can see they are creating – they are going to be passing places for the traffic. At first, this will continue to be a single track, so, as traffic will be in both directions, they will need to be able to pass one another. One wagon will pull into the passing place and wait until the other wagon, the one going in the opposite direction, has passed. That way there will admittedly be a slower progress, but at least progress will be able to be made. The road will thus be brought into use much sooner. Then, the workers can work on the passing places, making them longer and longer, so first making short stretches of two-way road. They can do this work even while traffic is flowing. Eventually, the passing places will all be expanded and elongated until they are all joined up, making this a two-way track like all the other roads round town.”

Again, the explanation made sense to us all, especially after the careful way Papa had given the information. We all forgave him the lecturing tone; indeed most of us had forgotten it.

Thus it was that we passed on in a pleasant and comfortable companionship, Swayga's and Kords eyes were round as they took in the sights that were so new to them. They were seeing for the first time the dranakh grazing on the far bank of the lake, and the free-wheeling avians coursing through the air above us and to the sides; the mysterious shadows caused by the sunlight and the little canyon walls, the scudding clouds across the blue of the sky. Something about those clouds distracted me for a little while but once again I filed it away for future pondering. It was a delight to watch the delight on their faces. I could only imagine what my face must have been like the first time I came this way.

Thus it was we came to the final area of eppriness.

That word shocked me as it tumbled out of my head and into my writing hand; but it was a term that seemed most sensible to me and I found I enjoyed using it; so I shall claim I have invented a new word. It seems to me to be so much better than 'busy-ness'.

But I should really get back to my descriptions.

The area here outside of the quarry had, of course, changed quite considerably since we left it two days ago. Not all the rockfall had been cleared as yet, and I was disappointed to discover that that strange wagon thing had not yet been able to be excavated. Oh well! I'll just have to come back again.

However, observation and conversations with the workers made it obvious the way things were to be developed.

The workers reassured me, on my first question, that all the poor pakh who had been trapped inside had indeed been released and herded back through that narrow gap I hated so much.

Most of the rockfall was cleared away on the right-hand side as we looked at it, and a huge column of rock had been built about one third of the way across the entire quarry from the right-hand edge. This, we learnt, was to minimise the risk of any further rock falls as any 'supporting' rocks might have been taken away. Another column of rock was also in the process of reaching the ceiling, this one about one third of the way in from the left-hand side. Once this second pillar of rock was completed, then the careful excavation of the strange wagon could begin. But the second example of one of those wagons was plain to see, parked there as it was, inside the giant cave, and with daylight now flooding in.

It was very strange indeed, a flat platform above a single axle with a wooden spoked wheel at either end. One side of the platform was open entirely while a curved wall constituted all the rest of the perimeter. On top of the curved wall were little metal bridges, but I could not imagine what they would be used for. From the sides, above the wheels, long wooden rods led forward. One had broken, but the one on the left, the side farthest away from our vantage point, was still intact, so we could see what the pair must have looked like. This was something else that was odd to us. Was this where they carried loads? And there was indeed no driver's seat. Did they do everything standing up?

We were not allowed to enter the quarry (thankfully, since I confess I was scared to do so) as it was still so dangerous, but the clearance had enabled some viewpoints. I could see the way the ancients had worked the stone, and marvelled at how much they had managed to achieve without our more modern tools. As we watched, a laden wagon creaked out of the gloom at the back of the quarry. We could see its load was not shaped stone, just a jumble of various sized and coloured rocks. We learnt that it was an early load from the clearance of the rockfall at the other end.

We watched and looked and inspected and asked various questions for maybe half a bell before remounting and heading back. Discussing as we went, of course, what we had seen and heard.

Papa was impressed with the plans they had made for the entrance to it. Apparently, as the whole thing was even now being opened at the other end as well, the one where the Vale rockfall was, then some method would have to be provided to prevent animals from just wandering all the way through. The solution they came up with was to build a wall at ground level from both sides of the dam-side opening, these walls being slightly staggered. Then a gate could be made to cover the gap between the walls. Wagons would have to make a sort of S-bend to negotiate the hindrance but that was just a trifle.

As I thought it all through, I couldn't help but squeal in enthusiasm: “Yes. That would work for everyone. Goodman Brethen and Mistress Rathina will then have their covered protection for their animals and the town will have another stone quarry, one that is far more accessible than the current one. And the journey time to the Vale will be reduced, making life a little easier for those in the Vale.”

I thought I had finished but then something else shot across my brain: “Oh! It just occurred to me! They could have wagon access too! Brethen and Rathina and all of them. I bet they'll be pleased. That would ease some of their burdens, being able to move large loads in and out.”

“Aye lass, you have the right of it. And that cleared rockfall has provided much stone for the roadbed along …. hello, what do we have here?”

We all looked ahead at where Papa was looking and saw another group of riders approaching us. I glanced at Papa and saw he was calculating something. He raised his hand.

“Hold, all! We don't have time to make it to the next passing place, so we will wait here and attend this other party. It looks like Masters Bezan and Yarling, so the little one will probably be the Guildmaster. I see he still has one of the old saddles. So that other with an old saddle must be his remaining assistant. Is that Master Jepp with them, and mayhap the Steward too? There's another as well, but the indistinct ones are bunched at the back of their pack.”

It was noticeable that the other party, as soon as they realised we were waiting for them and thus leaving their route clear, put on a quickening of pace, showing that they too were considerate of the other party.

Papa's view of the make-up of the other group proved to be accurate and the one he couldn't identify turned out to be Master Blandel. I suppose it made sense for the chief stonemason to inspect the new quarry, so I was surprised that I was surprised. Thinking about it later, maybe it was because I thought he would have already been, but I acknowledge that that was slightly unfair. After all, it was only a matter of days before this project started, so maybe this was the first opportunity he had had. So much had happened in my life in just a few days, that it actually felt like a week or more since I was here.

There was the usual round of introductions that went on forever, and then the conversation started. We were asked for our impressions of what we had seen and so it continued. Questions were asked, answers were given, some supplementary questions were asked, a couple of which opened up a new thought or two. A few separate conversations sprung up as threads were picked up upon and continued. Sookie and I were a little surprised that the men actually, sometimes, listened to what WE said. It was a refreshing change and we eyed each other.

It was Kords actually who broke up the mounted meeting.

“Hey, 'Lina, look. Those clouds are like water pouring over a waterfall.”

I looked where she was pointing and saw she was right. The weather was as if it was boiling up out of the valleys to the east, and spilling down into our one.

“You're right, Kords,” I replied. “And experience suggests that we will have a storm this afternoon. The clouds in the valley will rise, we will have some rain and at least it will be a little warmer for a few days. This early cold snap we have had will disappear. With luck, for a good few weeks.”

“Happen you're right, lass. Gentlemen, I recommend you get up to the quarry as soon as you can, because we are getting some weather coming in.”

“Thank you for your advice, Master Kordulen. We will part without formalities, if it pleases you. Ladies, Gentlemen.”

“You're very welcome, Captain. Gentlemen.”

And so we parted once more, each group travelling in our required directions. We continued our discussions as we went, and when we descended to the level below the dam, Papa repeated the weather warning to the chargehand there, who thanked him and immediately started issuing instructions to protect as much as they could. I realised that it would take quite a while to do the job. Obviously, it would be impossible to protect everything, but they could try to minimise the effects of rainwater washing away some of their efforts. I remembered the dejection of the workers when that sudden storm had flattened the new house quite early on in the build. I hoped their entire sloped roadbed wouldn't be washed away. Imagine how depressing THAT would be.

We dropped down from there to our old house and left Kords and Swayga there. They were both grateful, and I could tell, although they said nothing, that their muscles had been almost overused. I could remember MY muscles at that stage of my riding. I suspected that the two of them would slide into a hot bath as soon as they could.

Papa and Parry, Sookie and I went back down the hill, leading the two spare mounts. We stabled them all, cared for them as we could and then we split up; Parry and Sookie to their other duties, Papa and I up to the new house.

… … ...

Where I saw that there was yet another alteration to the original plans. I was about to ask about it when Papa started talking first.

“Now 'Lina, lass. Swayga and I are pleased and delighted that you thought of us and allowed that private sitting room. We will keep it and think of you when we use it. What we have done though, is to add an extra room to the west end of the house, a room with its own entrance from the outside and, of course, with a connecting door to the rest of the house. Our only worry is that it is quite some way away from the 'facilities' so we thought to have an extra 'outhouse' placed nearby, and the water channelling for that still has to be finished. Otherwise we would have moved in already.”

“But what would that achieve, Papa? An extra room and an extra toilet?”

“I was hoping to leave all this as a secret until we moved, but Swayga and Kords pointed out the impossibility of doing that, particularly as you will needs be heavily involved in the organisation of the move itself. That extra room shall be yours. Your own private area, since you turn into an adult in a matter of days. Kords shall therefore also have a room of her own, as you would effectively be moving out of hers. So that room can be a little smaller than planned. Thus we have saved a little space there. It wasn't at all too hard to adjust the walls and things and we have just about finalised everything. Tomorrow that final piece of roof will be finished. I just hope the tarpaulin will hold in the storm that is coming in.”

I instinctively glanced outside where the sun was shining but knew that Papa was right. About half the time this weather pattern happened, the accompanying disturbance was quite strong. Occasionally nothing happened other than a little rain and a warm period following, usually under cloud, for a week or more. But this one just felt a little more violent than that. Neither of us could justify that feeling, but we both thought that this one would be quite nasty.

I flung my arms around Papa's neck to thank him for the present of a room of my own, with my own private entrance to enable me to come and go as I wanted. He started to get all sentimental about what I had done for the family and I felt tears welling up in my eyes as he half-spoke and half-sobbed.

So I just hit him on the shoulder and gruffly told him not to be so stupid.

But I must confess it was nice to be hugged in some strong and caring arms.

We broke apart and both became business-like as we walked through the house, planning where what would go and so on and so forth. It was pleasantly warm in the building and I saw how very superior this all was to our old well-worn home. There was a strong smell of fresh wood, of course, which had been alleviated by opening those marvellous new windows. We went round shutting them all again, in view of the impending weather, which we both felt would descend in three or four bells time.

We left and went up the hill, our arms linked and a very companionable silence between us. I gave him a little kiss on his cheek just before we went in to join all the others, and his eyes moistened again when I did that. Which made me sort of snuffle. But we straightened our shoulders, drew in a breath and marched into the home and the chaos of younger siblings.

As I had foreseen, Kords had had a bath and was now organising everyone else, whilst Swayga soaked her muscles in some warm water. Pomma had departed before we got back, but nevertheless her influence could be felt by the preparation that had been done for a mid-day meal.

And by the shy and tearful apology I got from Julu. She was quite relieved when I forgave her. I didn't hold much store, mind you, of her promises to “never do it again.”

I realised with a start that I was really quite hungry, so I joined in the throng of helpers with enthusiasm. Soon the eight of us were seated and stuffing our faces amid a lively conversation that flowed amongst us all. It was one of those rare, fun and peaceful meals that make you wish we had more just so.


up
145 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another great chapter/day...

Another great chapter/day... Looking forward to the next/tomorrow... :P

Let the flames of inspiration blaze within, and the sky be less of a limit, and more of a challenge

Where's the Horses?

If the Chivans arrived with chariots, they were horse drawn. Since there were 2 chariots, there had to be at least 4 and possibly 6 horses. Now, where could a herd of horses hide?

Mysteries, mysteries!

I hope they get the chariots out intact and are able to restore them.

This is one of the better chapters of the chronicles.

Best,

DJ

Chariots and Horses

No, I don't think the Chivans came with either chariots or horses.

All that needs to happen is for one human to arrive who knows how to build chariots, of a size to fit with the available beasts of burden.

On the other hand, I agree that this is an excellent chapter.

Penny

Even if...

Aine Sabine's picture

Horse's aren't in the local area, there may be some up North. Remember, Garia was told that that the people up North rode strange beasts. Not saying it is. You planned the thing, so you'd know. LOL!

Aine

Funny the Chivans did not leave behind clues

I mean I suspect they must have left behind stuff like temples and the like. The Romans were big on the deity thing I think. Wouldn't there be more extensive ruins and the like? I am surprised there is not Rosetta stone-like thing to do translations and such.

In any case our Julina is well on her way to being an important personage in Blackstone. As more and more women like her step up and make contributions that get noticed, the more doors will be opened for others like her.

Hi there GR - Chivans and Clues

An interesting comment.
The Chivans did leave behind rather a lot .... straight roads and trade links, roadstones with Latin inscriptions, and certain workings dotted around the place. Forts,(one we have encountered in S E E) and so on.
Roman gods were mostly named after myths and the planets of our solar system bear these names too. What MIGHT have happened is that the original transferred Romans, called Chivans on Anmar, were unable to recognise any constellations and decided that their gods had abandoned them ...... ok, it might be a simplification, but not too implausible perhaps?????
Anyway, if you think about the nature of the dam lake stone quarry, one end faces the dam lake, while the other comes out into Blackstone Vale. A rockfall that blocked that off, would mean that no chariots could be brought out since the gorge, the only other access into the vale, is too narrow for wheeled transport. So those chariots stuck on the Vale side of the rockfall had no means of egress. It also seems from the description that the rock fall caught one while the driver was still in it - perhaps pinning his legs. His skeleton would be protected by the rocks and the chariot whereas any other skeleton there might well have been trampled to dust over the years .....
However, I suspect we might be hearing a bit more about the Chivans soonish.

Cheers

Julia

Chivans/Romans

Don't forget that despite the extensive building works the Romans made all over Europe, it didn't take long for them and their works to fade into myth and legend, except in Italy and around Constantinople.

They aren't called the 'Dark Ages' for nothing, you know.

I have it on good authority that the Mason's Guild has a warehouse full of bits and pieces dug up over the years, all with random inscriptions in Latin... not even Garia is going to be able to read them all.

As for a Rosetta stone, I don't know if any would exist. The only reason that particular stone was made was that the Romans took over existing civilizations who each already had a rich language (Egyptian and Greek). On Anmar it is unlikely that such civilisations were present when the Chivans arrived. They would just have made their own language the default.

Of course, there are other civilisations scattered about the rest of Alaesia... who knows if they had any contact with the Chivans.

Penny

I'm wondering as they find

I'm wondering as they find more items that appear to be Roman, if someone is going to clue in Garia on the finds? She may not be able to decipher all the Latin words found; however she should be able to explain what the various items are and they are for in use. I really like Julina, and I somehow sense that the Guildmaster just might become her mentor. He seems to understand and realize that she is not just an ordinary "local yokel", as he has believed females to be up to this point in time.

I decided to come back and make a comment.

Aine Sabine's picture

I'm wondering if the Eyes are actually another of her ideas that she didn't realize. The night signalling with lights and mirrors. Just an idea.

Aine