Get A Life!~Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version

After putting the scarf on over my hair, I felt a bit like Audrey Hepburn in that film, Roman Holiday and I just wished that I had her looks.


Get A Life!

By Susan Brown

--SEPARATOR--

Chapter 12

Previously …

‘Sandy, SIT!’

Sandy did as her master ordered and sat down immediately; looking every inch the perfect guide dog she obviously was when on duty.

I felt a little sweaty hand in mine and I looked down. Maisie was trembling and I gave her a cuddle.

Peter stroked Sandy’s head, absent-mindedly for a few moments and the he nodded and the faced us.

‘So, its Maisie is it?’

‘Oh Da!’

She let go of me and then rushed over to her father and buried her head in his chest. They were both crying.

With a lump in the throat, I walked outside and stood in the garden. This was a moment of privacy that needed no audience.

And, och aye the noo; the story continues…

I stood looking at the scenery for some time before I heard a noise coming from behind me.

Turning, I could see that Maisie looked so very happy; as if the weight of the world was off her shoulders.

‘Thank you Chloe, Da understands now. We are to make an appointment with the lady doctor and he will come with me. He said that until then, I can dress like the girl I am inside the house and see what the doctor thinks about being a girl outside.’


‘If only it was that simple,’
I thought. But now wasn’t the time to tell her about all the pitfalls and problems that she would encounter on the long journey that would hopefully end with her being the person she wanted to be.

After giving her a hug and promises of further visits, I left her then as I had a rather important date that I had no intention of missing.

On arriving back at Auntie’s, I evaded her questions, pleading the need to get ready, and rushed upstairs to my room to try to get myself looking as pretty as possible in the short time that I had available.

It took forever to decide what to wear for our date, for that was what it was, and I was painfully aware of the deficiencies of my wardrobe. I would need to break into my piggybank and get some more decent clothes quite soon as I didn’t want to show Alistair up by looking frumpy or God forbid, a fashion disaster.

I finished up wearing a white blouse and cream skirt, not exactly the sort of thing to set him on fire, but I looked nice and feminine and it was what I considered to be as smart cas as I could get with the limited means at my disposal. I finished things off by a pair of white strappy sandals and had my trusty cardi to carry, just in case it got cold later.

I did what I could with my hair and promised myself a trip to the salon, if I could actually find one on the island. I would ask someone if such a thing existed here as soon as possible.

I had heard that there was a sheep shearer somewhere…

I took care over my makeup and chose the simple less is more technique, as I didn’t want to look like I trowelled makeup on. If I say so myself, I have nice skin and I was lucky enough to be reasonably wrinkle free, so I had made the best of what I had available.

As I carefully applied my makeup, I still marvelled that Alistair liked me. My self-esteem, never high at the best of times, had taken a beating lately and the fact that he and I were “an item” made me go all squidgy inside.

~*~

I was picked up by Alistair dead on the dot of eight o’clock. Auntie answered the door and he stepped into the hallway. I had been waiting in the lounge cum snug and walked out to greet him.

Auntie was saying something and I caught the end of it.

‘Now, you look after Jenny and make sure she’s home by eleven at the latest.’

‘I will Auntie, I promise.’

Alistair turned to me and his eyes went up. Sometimes it was easier to just agree with Auntie and not add to her confusion.

He was wearing a smart dark blue jacket, sky blue button down shirt and cream trousers and I could have eaten him up on the spot.

He kissed me gently on the cheek and whispered, ‘you look lovely,’

I answered, ‘so do you.’

‘None of that nonsense here, this is a respectable hoose.’

We both looked at each other and found it difficult not to laugh.

After saying goodbye to Auntie, we went outside, with Auntie standing at the door like a fussy mother hen. The Porsche was there in all its glory with its hood down. Alistair opened the door for me and I sat in, making sure to keep control of my skirt as I didn’t want to shock Auntie by flashing anything that shouldn’t be flashed.

I was prepared for the open top and had a silk scarf in my bag. The last thing I wanted was blow away hair.

After putting the scarf on over my hair, I felt a bit like Audrey Hepburn in that film, Roman Holiday and I just wished that I had her looks; not now, of course as she’s dead, but then, when she was breathtakingly beautiful.

Sorry, when I’m nervous, I think and say silly and rather inappropriate things. I was just pleased that I didn’t utter the above out loud.

It took about twenty minutes to get to the restaurant, which overlooked the sea on McLeod’s Point. For once, Alistair wasn’t pretending that he was driving in the Le Man’s 24 hour race and we arrived without me having to do the white knuckle holding on for all I was worth thing. The restaurant was an old Victorian edifice that looked slightly out of place and a tad gothic.

And so it came to pass that I found myself sitting at a table in a restaurant that was rather nice, if a bit quaint and old fashioned. I wasn’t expecting TGI Fridays or some swish sophisticated place, as Muckle, as far as I knew, didn’t do sophistication.

Still it was nice. The waitress was a bit ancient and took forever too take our order, not helped by the fact that she had left her order pad in the kitchen and had to go back for it and then forgot her pen and had to go back for that too. She was reminiscent of a character played by Julie Walters in a sketch called Two Soups.*

We were the only customers and for that I was grateful, as any more than three or four tables and we would have had to have waited at least three weeks before we finally got something to eat.

Alistair ordered some wine and we sipped and spent the time waiting to talk about ourselves. I didn’t have much to say for myself as I had led an exceptionally unexciting life, apart from the transgender thing.

Alistair came from a loving family, cruelly torn apart when he lost his parents.

It was obvious that he and his sister Morag were close and had a special bond that was unbreakable. I looked forward to meeting Morag when the right time arose, but I had to ask the question.

‘Does she know about me?’

‘That you are beautiful and I love you to bits?’

‘Don’t be silly, you know about my being transgendered?’

‘Yes, in fact she encouraged me to ask you out and get to know you more intimately. She knows Sally quite well and they spoke of you long before you actually arrived.’

‘Are there no secrets here?’

‘Not many; that’s the island life and if you want to live here, you have to expect inquisitive neighbours. ‘

‘So everyone knows about us?’

‘What is there to know?’ he asked.

‘Well, that we are seeing each other.’

‘How quaint a term. What does that actually mean, you know we are “seeing each other”. I “see” the milkman, that doesn’t mean anything.’

‘I don’t know, he has a nice bum.’

I put my hand up to my mouth. Why did I say that?

‘So you prefer the milkman to me?’

‘Well his gold top milk is something else, all thick and creamy.’

I felt myself going a deep shade of red.

Where was this all coming from? I didn’t do the double entendre thingie; it wasn’t me, a good upstanding girl who should go to church on Sundays but is normally washing her hair…

Alistair laughed.

‘You are something else, Chloe McKerrell, do you know that?’

‘Sorry, it just came out. My mouth doesn’t always know what my brain is thinking.’

‘I like your brain and mouth just the way it is.’

He took hold of my hand and kissed it.

‘Gosh!’

~*~

The meal was nice, if a bit delayed by the service, but as I had wonderful company, the time it all took didn’t really matter.

Over the minuscule cups of coffee, Alistair quizzed me a bit more about my past.

‘What do your parents think about your change?’

‘They died in a car accident five years ago.’

‘I’m sorry.’

‘No need to be. I had been estranged, if that’s the right word for it, ever since I told them about the fact that I was a girl. That was about when I was eighteen. I looked for their support but all I got was a lot of hate and grief. They ceased to be my parents then.’

‘You sound hurt.’

‘Yes, even now I am hurt. They cut me out of their lives and even out of their will. I didn’t go to the funeral as, when I found out about it, it was over.’

‘Any other relatives?’

My paternal grandfather is, I think, alive and somewhere up here in Scotland, but he hadn’t kept in touch with my parents for years. I don’t think that he approved of my parents marriage and quite honestly I can’t blame him. He must be quite old now.’

‘It’s a pity that you couldn’t make peace with your parents.’

‘Its water under the bridge. I have moved on now.’

‘So,’ asked Alistair, changing the subject, ‘what was it that kept you from me earlier?’

‘Pardon?’

‘Well, originally we were going to meet at seven but you had a little friend with a problem?’

‘Yes.’

‘So were you able to sort out the problem?’

‘I sense a fishing trip, well there wont be any fish biting tonight. You are as bad as everyone else around here.’

He put his hands up in terror.

‘Who me?’

‘Yes you!’

We both laughed.

Later on we walked along the small promenade hand in hand. I was pleasantly full and all felt right with the world. Overhead the moon was shining and millions of stars twinkled in the sky; a stark contrast to London where light pollution ruined sight of any but the brightest stars.

It had been a lovely evening and when Alistair dropped me off, it was with a sense of sadness that it had ended. Mind you, the kiss he gave me was enough to almost give me the vapours!

‘Are you free tomorrow afternoon?’ he asked after he had put me down and I had recovered my breath.

‘Why?’

‘I have a little boat and we could sail around to one of the secluded bays and make a picnic of it; if the weather’s nice.’

‘That’s sounds lovely, but I can’t swim very well.’

‘I’ll break out the water wings then,’ He said laughing.

I punched him ineffectually on his manly chest. He did have nice muscles!

After a few more knee trembling kisses, we were interrupted by a gentle cough.

‘Its getting late Jenny,’ said Aunties silhouetted in the doorway.

I sighed. It was pointless telling her that I was Chloe, as she tended to forget things rather quickly.

After a brief hug and a grin, Alistair went off in his car, tyres screeching and engine racing.

I sighed, ‘those boys with their toys.’ I thought

~*~

Next morning I was up with the lark – well seagulls really and I was out on Pinkie, tootling along before Auntie had risen from her bed.

It was nice at that time of the morning. Everything was fresh and it looked like it was going to be a fine day.

I was wearing a lemon short sleeve top and white capri’s as I rather liked to continue the Audrey Hepburn theme. I only hoped that the flying insects were still in bed, as I didn’t want to get covered in tiny bodies…

As I was gong to take time off that afternoon to be with Alistair, I had decided that I would start work early. I was meeting Sally later at the town hall to see my office and tell her what I had been up to. I didn’t consider my love life to be part of the information that I would be sharing with her, but she was a bit like the Gestapo as she had ways of making you talk!

I was beginning to have a feel for the island and its weird and quirky characters. Being a weird and quirky character myself, I felt that would fit in quite well on this strange, lovely island.

I was going along merrily, Pinkie’s little motor pop-popping away nicely and all was well with the world. For some unaccountable reason my thoughts turned to Alistair and his pert bottom. I know, I can’t help it, I am a bottom girl, I try to fight it, but it’s a loosing battle. I just wanted to grab Alistair’s neat, muscly bum and…

I screeched to a halt. I was confronted by several sheep walking along the road. And there amongst them, as large as life and wearing a filthy kilt that did nothing for him and with exceedingly knobbly knees, was Finlay Cameron. The man whose cottage I had taken over after him evidently not paying rent since the early nineties.

He looked at me and gave me a toothy grin, when I say toothy, I meant that he had one tooth on show and that didn’t look like it was going to last too much longer, the others having left his mouth some time ago at a guess.

I tried to go around the flock but they were too widely spread across the road and Finlay didn’t seem too bothered about moving them out of the way.

I switched off Pinkie as I didn’t want to waste petrol and increase my carbon footprint, whatever that means; I then awaited developments. I should have just turned around and gone back but I had a stubborn streak and anyway I didn’t want to be seen as weak in front of the disgruntled Cameron.

He walked up to me and leered unpleasantly in my face. I was pleased that I was wearing my pink helmet for safety. On a side note, even the visor didn’t stop the bad breath wafting towards me, making me want to gag.

‘So it’s the McKerrell girl.’

‘Hello Finlay.’

‘It is Mr Cameron to you, girly. So, ha ye moved inta ma cottage yet?’

‘It isn’t your cottage. It is owned by the council and you haven’t paid rent for many years on it.’

‘I ha squatters rights, ye ken?’

‘Putting Dolly the sheep in there doesn’t not constitute squatters rights.’

‘Her name is Agnes, I’ll have ye know. So, ye Sassenach, ye think that you know the law do ye?’

‘No, but Sally does…’

‘She’s a woman who should mind her own business. That wee cottage is mine and no one else’s and I’ll have no wee slip of a girl take what’s mine. Be warned, ye don’t want me as an enemy. Take my advice and get off the island, while ye can.’

Now I may or may not have mentioned it, but I have a bit of a short fuse. I think that I must have got it from my ancestors, who probably roamed the mountains, hills and valleys of the highlands with Rob Roy or some other Scottish hero, carrying nasty pointy things and living on nothing more than locally caught haggis, porridge and of course whisky. (So I’m a romantic, get over it!).

The red mist came down and I disengaged my brain and let my mouth do the talking.

‘Don’t you dare threaten me Finlay Cameron. You do not frighten me and never will. I am not a Sassenach as I think I have told you before. I might have an English accent but I have Scottish blood and have every right to be here. I am trying to drag Muckle into the twenty-first century and bring visitors in from all over the world. That means that the economy benefits and so do you. We don’t need bigoted, self centred louts like you trying to stand on their “rights”. What we do need are friendly islanders willing to help this place be successful.’

I started up Pinkie and revved the engine. It was a puny roar as Pinkies motor was hardly a Harley Davidson but it had the effect of making Finlay jump out of the way and the sheep part to each side of the road like Charlton Heston managed to do with the water in that film about Moses.

‘And by the way,’ I said before moving away, ‘Get your teeth seen to; your breath smells disgusting!’

With that neat parting shot I moved off. As I passed one of the sheep, I swear that it smiled. I have a feeling that it could have been Agnes, but if you’ve seen one sheep…

I calmed down somewhat as I rode along, regretting what I said, but glad of it anyway, as Finlay had been getting on my tits, as we girls say. Mind you, I hoped that Sally and Angus didn’t get to hear about it, as I was a representative of the island council and it didn’t do to shout and insult the locals.

I shrugged and started singing Que sera, sera, slightly off key in my poor attempt at a Doris Day voice.

On I went, not really knowing where I was going and frankly not caring. It was a nice day and my little scooter was purring contentedly under me as we explored the island to its fullest. Some of the lanes were in need of repair and I made a mental note to have a word with Angus as to if there was any sort of budget to sort out things like that. Maybe if we can show a need, we might get something from the EU, although I wasn’t holding my breath on that. Now if we were a French island, that would be different…

I went around a bend and up a bit of a hill. I wasn’t quite aware of where I was, but that didn’t matter, as there was the mountain to the left of me and somewhere on the right was the sea. I was confident that I couldn’t get lost on an island but what with all the narrow lanes and tracks, I could find myself getting a bit confused. I didn’t have satnav after all and what can a girl do without that?

At the top of the hill, there was a long wall just above head height that stretched out of sight either side of me and in front was some large wrought iron gates. To the side was a sign that simply said The Manor.

The gates were open and I decided to go and have a look see, as there were no signs that said Keep Out Chloe McKerrell or Dogs Loose Aroond the Hoose.

It was an open invitation as far as I was concerned.

Riding up the long sweeping drive, I could see that the place was quite well looked after, with neat lawns and flowerbeds, a lake and quite a large park.

The drive went through some trees and then, breaking out into the strong sunlight again, I saw The Manor. It was large, very large, in the Georgian style and like the gardens, the buildings looked well looked after. I remembered Sally or someone telling me that it had an absentee owner and I wondered why it wasn’t lived in and who would not want to live there.

I rode up to the front door; well door would be an injustice as we are talking two great big doors to be accurate.

I stopped Pinkie’s engine and my ears buzzed slightly in the absence of the noise. Taking off my helmet, I shook out my long hair, Put my scooter on the stand and leaving the helmet swinging from the mirror, I got off and had a little look round.

I wondered at the cost of cleaning The Manor’s windows. It looked like the fictitious Forth Bridge painting job, where when you have finished doing one coat it was deemed necessary to start all over again. A bit of an exaggeration, but there was a lot of windows there.

I wondered why the Manor had been built. It looked a bit out of proportion when you bore, or is that bare in mind the size of Muckle. Then I recalled that the whole island or much of it anyway had been had been owned by one family since the year dot. It was a bit of a mystery where the current owner was.

To the side of the house were some wide steps that led to a garden terrace. Looking around I could see no sign of anyone, so I took a chance and walked up the steps. My excuse, should I need one, was that I was the tourism officer and I wanted to introduce myself.

Like the rest of the park and gardens, the terrace was immaculate and well tended. And had some nice borders and flowers in bloom. Don’t ask me what the flowers were as I don’t have green fingers and would struggle to identify a rose from a weed, but even I can appreciate beauty and the designer had pressed all the right buttons in making this place achingly beautiful.

I stood by the terrace wall looking out onto the estate.

Nearby was a lake with a single jet fountain in the middle that threw water high in the sky. I looked away from that, as the sound of running water often makes me want to find a loo and there’s never one when you need it, is there girls?

In the distance, on the right was the Mountain, Beinn Uaibhreachd, partially covered in mist as it often was, even on the sunniest days.

‘I will try to go to the top of that one day.’ I promised myself. ‘I wonder if they have Sherpas here?’

Being on a hill meant that the views over the island were lovely. I could see the spire of the church in Halestead, some meadows where sheep (probably including Agnes) dotted the hills like small puffy blobs of cream and white. To my left was the sea, glistening in the bright sunlight. I could even see a ferry making its slow way across the water. I wondered if it had stopped at Muckle and then remembered that as far as tourism was concerned, it seemed an unlikely event unless the locals had to go to the mainland for such essentials as a salon and the occasional latte…

I heard a cough behind me.

I turned around and an elderly imposing looking woman was standing there in a rather severe styled white, lacy collared long sleeve blouse, tweed skirt clumpy heels.

She had the look of a person who was about to tear someone off a strip before having him or her whipped and then forcibly ejected from the property.

She stared at me intently, looked shocked for some reason and then she went deathly pale. Her mouth opened and then she sort of squeaked. Her eyes started bulging and I wondered for a moment if she was a little bit mad.

With another squeak, her eyes closed and she sank to the ground. She was either dead or in a dead faint. On feeling the pulse on her neck and noticing that she was breathing, I sighed with relief. I didn’t want someone’s death on my conscience.

Her head was on the hard ground. I had no jumper close by, so all I could do was to make her comfortable by sitting down and laying her head on my lap.

She had the ageless look of someone who had led a good clean, honest, Christian life and could have been any age between sixty and eighty. Her colour began to come back after a few minutes and I could see signs of her regaining consciousness.

After a few moments her legs began to move slightly and then her arms. Shortly after that, she came around and stared up at me.

‘It can’t be,’ she said, sitting up.

‘Sorry, I don’t understand?’

‘It is you, isn’t it?’

‘Can I help you into the house?’ I asked ignoring the strange question.

‘What, oh yes, the house, thank you,’

I helped the woman to her feet and with her leaning on me rather heavily, I managed to take her into The Manor, using some French doors I hadn’t previously noticed that conveniently opened out onto the terrace.

Inside it was a bit cooler and there were antique chairs dotted about the ornate room that had a high painted ceiling, huge chandelier and walls that were covered with works of art.

I sat her down by the unlit fireplace. She kept looking at me with a bewildered look on her face. I wondered if she was just another one of the collection of weird and wonderful people that lived on the island.

‘Can I get you a drink?’ I asked.

‘No thank you ma’am.’

‘Not ma’am please, I’m Chloe, Chloe McKerrell.’

‘McKerrell?’

‘That’s it.’

‘Chloe?’

‘In the flesh.’

‘You’ve come.’

‘Yes, I hope you don’t mind. The gates were open and I just wanted to have a wee peek.’

‘A wee peek, you?’

‘Yes; as I say I just wanted to see what the place was like, for the tourists, you understand.’

‘But you must have known?’

‘Known what?’

‘Who you are; it can’t be just a coincidence. I thought that the lawyers could not find a living relative.’

‘I’m sorry; you have me at a disadvantage. What lawyers?’

She ignored my questions but ploughed on as if she hadn’t heard me.

‘We knew of a David McKerrell but not a Chloe. The lawyers hunted high and low but could find no trace of him and the trail grew cold once his parents died. Stupid feud between them and the Laird. He hadn’t spoken to them for more years than I can remember. Are you his sister, we had no idea that he had a sister?’

‘Who’s sister?’ I asked, totally bemused and befuggled.

‘David McKerrell’s.’

‘No I’m Chloe now.’

‘You said that, but you are a girl and we have been looking for David, a boy. Are you his sister or cousin maybe?’

I looked at her. She didn’t seem mad, perhaps a bit confused, but that was all.

I wondered if I should tell her and get the nonsense out of the way. I had to get back so that I could meet Sally at my new office. I didn’t want her hanging around for me.

‘Look, Mrs?’

‘It’s Miss Claire Templeton,’

‘Thanks; look Miss Templeton, I don’t know what this is about, but I used to be David, but now I’m Chloe. I am transgendered. I was born as David but soon found out that I was a girl inside. I wont go through the boring details. But I am living as a girl now and will always be a girl for as long as I live.’

‘So you were David and now you are Chloe?’

She didn’t seem bemused by the fact that I was a girl rather than a boy. Perhaps she was beyond being surprised?

‘You lived in London?’

‘Yes.’

In Maida Vale?’

‘Yes, how do you know? For a while after I left home, my parents did not want to know me after I told them about my being a girl, so I didn’t want to have anything to do with them. After Maida Vale, I moved around a bit and then, finally, I came here as Chloe and found a new job being the tourist officer. Now can you please explain what is going on and why you keep looking at me and then at the wall?’

Colour had returned to her cheeks and she sat up straighter in her chair.

‘It must be some sort of divine intervention…’

‘Please stop talking in riddles and let me know what is going on here?’

My temper was rising and I tried desperately to keep it in check. I could just see the headlines, ‘Murder At The Manor, Tourist Officer helping police with inquiries.’


She took a deep breath.

‘Please answer just a few questions and then I will tell you all. What was your grandfathers name on your fathers side?’

‘Andrew Donald McKay; I never met him. Some sort of row kicked off and my dad was cut out of his will. Dad changed his name to my mothers maiden name then and so we have always been McKerrell.’

‘I see. Let me give you a bit of history. Phillip McKay was your great grandfather and when he died there was some confusion as to who would take over the lands and property. Eventually it was decided that your grandfather, Andrew would come into the title and all that entailed. He lived here a short time but had a weak heart, especially after his wife Constance died.

‘The Laird was not a healthy man and he lived much of his latter years in a nursing home. However, he made sure that the Manor would be kept fully staffed and maintained in his absence. I believe that he hoped that one day he would be well enough to come home, but it was not to be. He wanted to make peace with your father but found out that your parents had died in a car accident but was survived by one son, called David.

‘Efforts were made to try to contact you, but you had, as far as our investigators were concerned, disappeared. The fact that you have moved and changed genders are more than likely the reasons why you were not found. I must say, I would never even think for a moment that you are anything other than a very pretty girl. I must inform the solicitors that you have been found at last and then we can make arrangements…’

‘Please, hang on. What are you trying to say to me?’

She had stood up by now, but I was rooted to my chair. What she had told me had confused me and I was still not quite with it.

She put her hand to her head and rubbed her brow.

‘I am so sorry. This is all new to you, but I have lived here all my life as my parents and grand parents had. I am in charge of the manor and all things to do with the running of the estate. You know nothing of this and it must all be something of a shock to you.

She sat down beside me and took my hand.

‘Your grandfather, on finding out that your parents had died, felt a terrible guilt that he had not made peace with them. On finding out that they had a son, he bequeathed everything to you. Also as you are his only direct heir, the titles and estates come to you. If you were a man you would be Laird, as you are not, you will, after the legalities are sorted out, be known as Lady Peploe and much of the island, apart from that owned by the government, is, for all intents and purposes, owned by you. Some of the properties were sold off when the Laird died to pay off death duties, but due to wise investments by his advisors, much of the estate is intact and you are, in fact, a very rich woman.’

I sat there for a moment, trying to take all this in. you may have expected me to shout with glee and dance around with happiness, but this was all a bit much for me. My parents did not speak about the family and I wasn’t aware of any of this. The family history had been kept from me. I knew the name of my grandfather and his wife but little else.

I looked at her kind face.

‘Are you sure that you aren’t mistaken? There must be quite a few McKerrells about and then again there must be other relatives that could claim the title and lands.’

‘There are a few distant relatives, but you are the one who is the only direct descendent of the Laird. Anyway, as soon as I saw you, I knew.’

‘Knew what?’

‘That you are the one or perhaps the sister of the one.’

‘Why, how?’

‘Look above the mantelpiece.’

I looked up and there was a portrait of a strikingly pretty woman.

I now knew what she meant. I had stared at my reflection often enough and the likeness was uncanny.

It could have been me in that portrait.

I looked at the portrait again, my eyes pricking with tears. It was all a bit much and I felt overwhelmed.

It looked like my life was going to change, yet again.


 
To Be Continued...

Angel

* Julie Walters and Soup, Soup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6aYLOf8CUQ&feature=kp

Sorry about the continued delays in posting. I have a lot of real life things going on at the moment. I hope to post more soon.

Please leave comments and/or maybe a kudo, cos its nice to hear from you.

up
313 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Favorite Chapter

This is my favorite chapter of this so far. I feel like I'm starting to see more of where you're going with this! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the next chapter!

Totally worth the wait!

I think LADY Chloe will have all the resources she needs to help her bring her inherited home into the modern age and improve the lot of her fellow islanders. :)

SuZie

And the plot thickens...

This was unexpected. An interesting turn of events indeed.

Wow Susan!

i just LOVE this twist, Lucky Chloe and lucky Muckle, Now she can doe everything she wants :-) I do wonder though how nice she will be to Finlay Cameron , Nasty piece of work that he is will deserve anything Chloe decides is right for him....Given Chloe's sweet nature though i doubt it will be very much.

Kirri

Well Worth Waiting For !"

Thank you and bless you dear Susan for this latest chapter in "Get a Life". Our dear Lady now has a wonderful change of fortune so will be able to do so much more for her people on the misty mythical Muckle.

What a lovely surprise for the wee lass. And for us too !

Briar

Let’s see...

Athena N's picture

There are two possibilities.

1) Her grandfather is dead too, and she is his heir and therefore now (or as soon as her identity is established) the Lady Peploe.

2) Her grandfather is still alive, and is the Duke, Marquess or Earl of something else (let’s say, the Earl of Muckle), so she as the heir apparent (since she’s the only child of his only son who has already died) has his second peerage title as a matter of courtesy (and so is Lady Peploe, without the, not that the article would be used except in formal correspondence anyway). In this case, if his senior title is old enough to be in the Peerage of Scotland, she would also be the Mistress of Muckle (or whatever his senior Scots peerage was), and that would not be a simple courtesy title but something that used to have real power.

It sounds like her grandfather may be dead, which would be a pity (since I’d love to see her make peace with what’s left of her family). If not, the island likely still belongs to him (being tied to the titles), but as far as I’ve understood the Scots title of Master (or in this case, Mistress) was originally established for situations like this, in a time when it was not easy to get the Lord’s signature for everything. Not being a lawyer at all, let alone one specialising in Scots nobility, I don’t know what powers she’d have over the estate, but of course that wouldn’t be an issue if she really hit it off with her grandfather.

Anyway, nice twist! It’s been so long between chapters that I didn’t remember the matter of the missing laird and so didn’t suspect a thing when Chloe mentioned the row between her father and grandfather.

An interesting twist.

What a change in direction of this wonderful plot.

Now, does this call into question Alistair's motives?

Get A Life!

Wow, lucky Chloe! Or not so lucky in some ways. When this gets out, she'll probably be more popular with some and less popular with others. But at worst, it should give her some security, and make the island more of a home to her.

Lucky - or not?

Podracer's picture

This is a fun story from a world of gender complication, and methinks Chloe's world just ran into a massive tangle. I hope her sense of humour is up to the new challenge.

"Reach for the sun."

McWahoo!

joannebarbarella's picture

So Chloe owns the island....or near enough! This will make her job much easier when she gets to grips with all this, and relations with Alistair will take on a new tone. Hello Lady Peploe,

Joanne

OMG!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Just that OMG!

This is a game changer!

*emits an excited burst of pixie dust*
~Hypatia >i< ..:::