You Chose the Wrong Store - Part 10

Printer-friendly version


You Chose the Wrong Store - Part 10


By JessicaC


Joyce suggested, “Either wear the sundress or at least take it over to wear tonight if needed.” My casual sun-dress that looks like a painter’s palette filled with pastel colors with some mixing of colors. I like how pretty it is but it was short enough that I was ready to change out of it. Joyce convinced me to keep it on. “From what Rick said, Tera is very relaxed but she enjoys being a girl. So I think that means the way you look should work out fine.”

I made sure the cosmetics in my purse go along with what I wear and might want tonight. Seeing two tampons in my purse brought a smile to my face as I whispered, “Cute Joy.”

It took five minutes to get to Rick’s and a girl with dirty blonde hair bounced out to the car. She had on a very nice skirt outfit and she opened my door. “Thank heaven; I needed another person with good girl sense. We lived in a more rural area and wearing jeans most of the time drove me crazy. You wouldn’t mind going shopping with me, would you?” She eagerly helped me out of the car. “HI, I’m Tera and I hope you’re Janelle. Since I plan to become one of your best friends. I’d like to call you Elle if you don’t mind too much.”

I felt a need to catch my breath just having watched her. “Fine, but I thought you were just visiting your cousin Rick.”

“We are but that’s because our new home isn’t finished like it was supposed to be.”

I looked two houses over and saw Johnny had just pulled into his place. Tera caught me gazing at him. “Is he a boyfriend,” Tera asked?

“No, at least not yet,” I responded and we both giggled. We went around to the back of the house where everyone else was enjoying the good weather. I noticed some were already in swimsuits and the pool was filled and ready for summer enjoyment.

“Did you bring your swimsuit, Elle?” Joyce was only too happy to tell Tera I didn’t have a swimsuit. “That will be fantastic,” said Tera. “We can go shopping for them; I need a new one anyways. Will your Mom allow you to wear a bikini yet? Or would you prefer a traditional two-piece suit?”

“A two-piece…”

“Don’t worry about your tush. It will fill out in time; Mom said she was pretty thin in the butt and flat up top until she had kids. She’s had a pretty full figure ever since I could remember.” Joyce grinned, knowing Tera had me thinking more about a woman’s anatomy. Actually, I began to think it was a convenient way to explore and learn.

“Joyce, are you going to give us a ride to go shopping,” I asked?

“If you’re getting a swimsuit for when Johnny comes over, yes,” Sis said. Rick’s Mom was happy knowing it would occupy Tera for a while and make her happy.

We went to a shopping center; it is not a mall but Kohls and Macy’s each have stores as well as several women’s stores in the complex. We looked at Macy’s first and then Kohls. I found a cute two-piece swimsuit; the bottom looks like a skirt. It had a pink, brown and blue squares print with frills along the top of the skirt and the front of the top. I thought I was done until Tera insisted a girl needed a minimum of two swimsuits. I bought a red one-piece suit with white and yellow stripes down each side.

Tera, a half year older than me, is already pleasantly endowed. Enough so that a two-piece suit flattered her figure in ways I could only dream. Neither Joyce nor I thought her parents would object but we weren’t certain if she attracted too many boys. Terra and I both purchased cute wrap around skirts to wear poolside when we relaxed.

=^..^=

When we got back to Rick’s Tera and I quickly changed into our two-piece swimsuits and ran downstairs and outside. There I literally ran into Johnny, instead of bouncing off of him I held on to him, spun around with him falling on top of me. It was very embarrassing as he rolled off and helped to lift me as we stood up.

“Your sister told me you hoped I would fall for you and ask you to go out with me tonight.”

“Oh Joyce shouldn’t have that is embarrassing, I’m going to kill her.”

“Actually, it was Rick, not your sister who said it. And I wasn’t to have said anything. I thought it was funny after you ran into me. I’m sorry to have said it. I would, however, be happy to take you out tonight.”

I was too embarrassed to speak. I grabbed my towel from Johnny and quickly made my way to the pool and dove in. It was a neat girl experience to come up using my hands to get my long wet hair off my face. It even felt natural to check my swimsuit. I remained in the water fifteen minutes before Joyce asked me to get out as she needed to speak with me.

“What did you go off for without telling Johnny ‘yes’ about going out tonight?” Joyce said, “I thought that was what you wanted?”

“I did… I do… but I’m embarrassed that I bumped into him and knocked him down. I was so embarrassed that he already knew I liked him, do you understand,” I said talking so quickly I wasn’t sure she could understand.

“Jan, you hoped he would notice you, but you didn’t think he would. I remember a crush I had on Joe Atkins and other girls told him, I was so embarrassed.” Why didn’t Joyce realize I would be embarrassed if she did that to me?

Joyce handed the sunblock to Johnny and asked, “Would you mind helping her apply the sunblock before she gets burnt. Johnny took the bottle and read the label, “#30 sunblock. If you don’t mind getting some tan there’s a good 15 Block over on the table. It will allow you to tan more.”

Johnny said, “I’m sorry if I embarrassed you. I was hoping to ask you out sometime.” He followed me to a bench where I sat putting the sunblock on my chest, legs, and arms, especially around my swimsuit. I was very sensitive to his touch as he put the sunblock on my back. As I stood up, Johnny was a little quick to help put sunblock on the back of my legs, not that I fully minded, but I took over doing the top of my legs.

Joyce came up to me and complimented me, “I am glad you controlled the attention he wanted to give you. I continue to be impressed; boys seem to be attracted to you. You don’t want a reputation of being a girl boys can get away with cheap attention.”

“Joyce, I am uncomfortable with the panty of my swimsuit, maybe I should just change back.”

Joyce smiled, “I think you are just too sensitive because you remember your own boy thoughts” I heard her and reflect on the truth of her utterance. “You need to enjoy being a pretty young woman.” I thanked her for the compliment.

Joyce encouraged me to get back to Tera and the pool. We enjoyed a quick dip into the pool and then went up onto a platform where we laid out to tan and talk. A half hour later we both put on our wrap around skirts to enjoy our time socializing with others.

It was good to visit with Johnny. I found out that he was also part of the school’s drama group, an honor student as well as an athlete. I asked him if he knew a nice guy who might go out with Tera tonight. Fifteen minutes later with Rick and his Mom invite Scott one of their friends who came to meet Tera. Tera and I were happy as we could share the night together.

=^..^=

We were to go to a movie but changed and went to a baseball game/concert at the nearby Patriots stadium. I wanted to go home and change to jeans. Tera pointed out my tan showed much better with the sundress I brought with me.

In fear that it would get cool as the sun went down Johnny took me to see about getting a girl’s game jersey. With the prices as they were, it wasn’t going to happen. A salesperson with two guys next to us said, “I wonder if he got that pretty thing pregnant? Otherwise, I wouldn’t be spending any sixty dollars on her.” I became enraged when I realized Tera heard the same statement.

“How dare you even insinuate, you male pig,” I yelled back! Once those around us heard I was upset, he denied what he said, which made me angrier. The manager of the team store and a security person quickly came to calm things down. When Tera told Johnny what the jerk said; I had to hold Johnny. “Johnny if anyone hits him it will be you after me,” I told him.

After a heated discussion, the manager acknowledged an inappropriate statement was possibly said and offered me the game jersey and an apology by the offending person. “I will accept if you offer my date and friend complimentary tickets for a future game and he gets some sensitivity training.”

The manager hesitated to say, “If I mandated the training that would probably result in him getting fired. Is that what you really want?”

“Really, I didn’t want any of it, but I am not responsible for what happens. Going through the classes don’t guarantee me he learned his lesson any more than his apology it just makes me happier.” A co-worker and friend of the sales guy showed up and she got really angry at Tio. “Tio, you jerk she has every reason to be angry. If you said that to me I would have torn out your eyes.” Angie learned my name, “Jan, if Tio pays for the game jersey, your friends get the tickets and I make sure he gets the training will that satisfy you? It doesn’t take back the embarrassment or hurt tonight, but we can’t do that.”

I appreciated what she did and I cried a little as I said thanks and we hugged one another. I was going just to take a jersey, but Angie helped me to find one that fitted properly. “You know, you’ll be a good advertisement for the team you look so good.” She smiled with an idea, “Would you mind if I got some of the players to sign it for you?” She took the jersey to get some autographs.

=^..^=

We missed an inning of the ball game, luckily no one scored then. It was seventh inning stretch when Angie brought back the jersey to me, saying, “All the starters and the manager signed it for you.” It was the third inning with two on and Manny Havret rocked a three-run homer to set the Patriots off on 8-3 rout.

It was cool enough to wear the jersey come concert time, as I enjoyed feeling Johnny’s arms around me. Then suddenly I felt a need to rush to the women’s room. Sitting to pee I knew something was different and when I wiped I knew I had begun a period. Using a tampon and a panty shield I took care of things as needed. My moaning sigh must not have been to myself as intended. I saw Joy waiting for me by the sink.

“You knew didn’t you?” Joy didn’t say anything she didn’t have to. “How did you know?”

Joy said, “You’ve been puffy since yesterday and your temper has been short.”

“Nice you’re saying I’m fatter and emotional, thanks! Any other compliments you want to give me?” Joyce just smiled and got out of my way so I could see me in the mirror. “And I need makeup thanks again,” this time even I was ready to giggle. Joyce sprayed a mist of perfume for me to walk into as we returned to the guys.

I kinda felt yucky and dirty, but I also felt good knowing I was a girl. Tera, being herself, said, “I can’t believe that is your first period, girl.”

=^..^=

Most of the rest of the night was lost until I got home. I wanted to be left alone, but I needed to talk to Joyce and then Mom. You don’t need the details.

I stayed in a mood for three days and it took a call from Caroline Nichols and a visit with Jenny to get me back active. It was fun to go with Jenny to the park. I could soon tell which of the playground equipment Jenny was familiar and comfortable with. We spent some time swinging side by side with sometimes me pushing her. One time near the end she jumped off the swing. While she was not high up, she didn’t land on her feet. She fell forward and I expected it hurt a little. Jenny looked at me, “I didn’t mean to scare you, but I had to try. I don’t want to remain a little girl,” she said.

I gave her a big hug, “You are growing up, huh, aren’t you?” We played hop-scotch, went on a merry-go-round and played with a basketball. I didn’t know how long Mrs. Nichols was there, but it obvious she was one happy mother. Near the end of our time together, she came over and treated us to flavored crushed ice treats.

“A penny for your thoughts Janelle,” she said?

I had to pause and think. I smiled but it was a sad smile. “I wished I had a Mom like you when I was growing up or that I could go back and change things.” Caroline Nichols didn’t say much, I just knew she was there and I was safe to think and have my feelings.

=^..^=

“Mrs. Nichols, can I ask a sensitive question?” She paused before she said, “Yes.” “Did you already know what was important in life before Jenny,” I asked? “Beautiful women aren’t usually given a lot of credit for thinking about others.”

“You should know better about stereotypes. I was fortunate to have grown up in a neat family. I learned a lot from my parents, especially my mother; more than I thought at the time. I don’t think looks has a lot to do with it.

“I wasn’t ready for Jenny, but I learned quickly. When she was born, I saw the miracle of life. There were plenty of times I was ready to give up and a lot of nights and mornings I cried.” Caroline’s emotions were there on her sleeve; I thought she would stop. “Other people like your Mom, Hannah, and your sister and enough others were sensitive to us. Plus, I was told she was still likely to express being happy. I was so overjoyed when she opened up to you and you thought of a way I could say yes to her.”

“Jan, let me ask you a question?” Caroline looked and I knew it would be okay if I didn’t want to answer. “I since learned you had been caught doing something bad and were being punished that day. I’m sure it’s not true, but someone said you weren’t a very nice person. If half of that is true, what caused you to be so nice to Jenny and helpful to others?”

“I’m not sure, it surprised me. I had been caught and Mrs. Grant got me to cooperate and it blocked all my attempts to get away. Most of all being dressed like a girl gave me another chance to be someone new.

“Jenny accepted me as a friend and when she asked about a dress or outfit for her, I so wanted her to be happy. I knew she wanted something too.”

I continued, “Others were right, I wasn’t nice and I didn’t do most things for good reasons.” I looked at Ms. Nichols and suddenly I was afraid. “Are you going to keep me from Jenny now that you know the truth?”

“No, but I am glad to know the truth. I didn’t know you as a boy. However, I am delighted to know Janelle. Your mother wanted you to have another woman you could confide in outside the family and doctors. If you should ever choose, I would be honored to be here for you.”

“Jenny seems to blossom when you’re around. She seemingly brings out the best in you as well.”

=^..^=

It was two days later when Mom took me aside and told me, “Janelle, I talked to Caroline Nichols about being your God-Mother. You’ve wondered about being a member of our family and you’ve expressed concern about God loving you. I thought if you were baptized as Janelle Elizabeth Grant and Caroline was you God-Mother maybe we could affirm both for you.” Mom explained it would be something official, yet they did not need a court to decide if it was okay.

Joy came behind me, “But she’s fourteen Mom; she might feel awkward, too old to do something like that.”

“No, I’m not too… I love the idea but Ms. Nichols might think it silly or wrong,” I nervously said.

Mom’s eyes lit up and with a hand she gently stroked my cheek saying, “She has already agreed, saying she’d be very happy too.”

“Mom, could you ask if Pastor Robin could baptize me? No offense to Rev. Carothers, but if I need to talk to one of them; well I’d be more comfortable talking to Robin.”

=^..^=

It came time for the July 4th social at the Oak Creek Country Club. Cassidy Butler and Lace Strong were both with me. With a push-up bra and help, I had enough cleavage to look totally a girl. With Cassidy and Lace, I was sure we would attract the attention of some boys. It was 8:00 in the evening before the dance started and some of the golfers were still coming off of the course.

The three of us were eating with the Nichols at their table when four guys went walking by. Cassidy quickly asked me, “Which one did you like Janelle?”

I paused and answered, “The one with the strawberry blonde.” He was attractive enough; I wasn’t going to embarrass myself saying either of the two I thought were the hottest.

Cassidy said, “Could you suffer along with the dark haired guy with the curls?” My smile gave me away. “That’s good because he’s the one who was taken with you. They’re from Fremont High and at least one of them has a car.”

Jenny told me, “Toby’s cute I think you’ll like him.”

“Jenny, how do you know his name,” I asked? She smiled and I found out that Cousin Cassidy had sent her to scout them out when they first arrived. I asked Cassidy “Is that a tactic you generally use?”

She snickered, “Don’t knock it, it worked. Plus if they were rude to Jenn, it would have told me something else and I'd have nothing to do with them.”

Caroline interceded, “You’re not chasing after them and no one is getting in any car with them; do you hear me?” Carol waited us out. “If they’re smart and interested they will come to you. If the feelings are mutual at the end of the night; they can ask you out.”

Lace smiled and asked, “Ms. C, is that what you did with Mr. Nichols?”

“That is what I had to do at sixteen and seventeen. Mr. Nichols, Jack came along in college. And please Cassidy knows I don’t like being called Ms or Mrs. by you, it makes me feel old. Call be Carol or Caroline and not only tonight.”

Lace suggested we go to the ladies room and put on our eye and evening makeup. I was amused by how feminine were the eyes looking back at me in the mirror when I was done. Lace had suggested the red to set off the blue. Carol questioned the look it gave me, but I was happy when she didn’t tell me to go back and change.

Toby must have stuffed his food down as he was still chewing when the guys came over…

To be continued…

up
163 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Some men are Pigs

Renee_Heart2's picture

And they guy at the ball park proves it! I'm just glad the sales girl helped the situation by chewing her coworker out by his insensitive comment and helped smooth things out. THEN she gets her first period that always helps.

At least now she has at least for now a good mom to help and guide Janell the way a girl should be and she has good friends and a good sister and I think Carol will get to be Jan's mom by the courts.

15 and boy crazy... Oh boy not a mix lol at least she has some good guidance in all things girl.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Please be patient...

...By no means is Janelle a finished product. To what extent Janelle is boy crazy I'm not sure. She definitely likes being liked and people giving her attention. Mom having a dress shop is a great perk too.

Hannah will be the Mom and Carol will be her God Mother.

Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Really nice chapter Girl!

Janelle spending time with Jenny, fabulous! (Just what she needs!). Momma Nichol's becoming Janelle's Godmother, even better! But alas our little girl's a woman now with the arrival of Aunt Flo! (LOL!). Oh by the way, swimsuits are for the "swimming pool", not the "dating pool"! (snicker giggles!). Jessie sweetie, ty! Loving Hugs Talia

Aunt Flo was expected...

Biology is ahead of the rest of her. Jenny helps Janelle to get in touch with things she has missed. I agree Momma Nichols being a God-mother should be good for Janelle. Two stories are close to ending which will allow this story and another time to be active again.

Appreciate peoples' comments.

Luv ya Talia, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Interesting question

Jamie Lee's picture

Tera saying she couldn't believe Janelle was having her FIRST period brings up an interesting question. Why? Was she so abused by her birth parents that her hormones were that out of balance? Or was surgery performed at her birth which kept it from occurring? Or both? If surgery was done at her birth, then her recent surgery was more extensive than what they initially intended to do. And kept her from going through major life threatening complications.

No salesperson should make any comment about the purchases made by a customer, regardless the gender. And no salesperson should make any personal comments regarding any customer for any reason. Doing any of these two is a good way to guarantee a loss of a customer and the sale. Anyone who does any of these things needs additional training or the boot. Before the next customer cleans that persons' clock.

Every new activity Janelle experiences is going to feel strange. Such as wearing the two piece swimsuit. Being so attractive she attracts guys like a magnet. Practically anything else she discovers that helps being a girl.

Janelle really needs to listen to Hannah and Joy when it comes to relationships. Her birth parents never gave her the needed affections the Grants are giving her. And the boys being drawn to her now is her gaining the attention from others she never received as Ronnie. And she loves both kind, she's also trying to make up for lost time. Because of being inexperienced with the emotions which go along with both of these actions, she needs to take care with the latter least she get in over her head or end up being badly hurt. Both emotionally and physically.

Fifteen year old Janelle is as old as Faith emotionally and in experiences being a girl. She also needs the same guidance.

Like the Grench, Janelle's heart grew the day she first met Jenny. It grew more when Caroline asked her to spend time with Jenny over the summer. Each time she's with Jenny not only does heart grow more but they both reach further out of their shells. Whether Janelle can see it, others can. That she and Jenny are good for each other, helping each other simply by being together. This also helps Janelle with her relationship with Faith, a young girl who already looks up to Janelle for the strength she possesses.

Others have feelings too.