Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2391

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2391
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“If I hear much more about this wretched quiz, I’ll seriously consider stopping you taking part.” I seemed that my two had scored highest in the latest training—a series of fifty questions.

They immediately went into sulk mode. I know they’re clever and I’d love them to do well in the actual quiz, but it wasn’t for another ten days. By then I’d be as nutty as a dormouse’s dinner.

They showed me one of the papers and immediately I realised I probably didn’t know all the geography questions, so I’d have to guess. County town of Somerset—uh—Taunton, I suppose. Date of the battle of Bannockburn, let’s see, seven hundred years ago, so 1314. Adjective associated with kidney—renal. I wonder how many wrote bean or steak.

There were several questions on science: astronomy, chemistry, geology and physics. Then several on the Bible and religion. I was musing through these when Trish asked, “Mummy, what’s a pussalm?”

“A what?”

“Question forty, I think. ‘Who wrote the pussalms?’”

“Oh psalms, the p is silent.”

“Like when it runs down your leg,” she quipped back and I wondered if I had been set up again. Apparently I wasn’t though she’d never heard of the Psalms of David, including the interminable 119. I was able to inform her without being drawn into a discussion that they were written by a number of people not some sure-shot shepherd boy or a similarly named king of Israel.

Embarrassingly, it seemed I knew more of the answers for the religious questions than the geography, better let Si drive when we go up to le Tour on Friday. Still you’d think even I would find a place the size of Yorkshire, the so called Texas of England. This doesn’t mean they execute criminals, they just send them down the liquorice mines in Pontefract.

I began to get things ready for our trip to Yorkshire, hoping we’d fit in the three rooms I’d booked for three nights in the B&B. Stella had decided she didn’t wish to visit darkest Yorkshire to watch two hundred mens’ bums thunder by in lycra. I almost told her she’d discovered my reason for going or that she had no ambition, but kept quiet when she agreed to look after Lizzie with Jacquie who no desire for the excitement of a top sporting event. Somehow she can’t find bicycles a turn on—strange woman.

Julie and Phoebe are working, so they won’t be coming either, so it’ll be Si and yours truly, with the four school
girls and Cate. Danni is quite excited, while Trish and Livvie are more interested in their quiz, and Meems is pleased to go anywhere with us. We don’t go away very often, so it’s a novelty for her. I told Danni she could bring Cindy with her if her mother and the school allowed it. Sister Marie pretended to be horrified when I requested permission to take all the children to Yorkshire. However, as I promised to try and teach them about all of the places we go or the Tour goes through in Yorkshire, we’d do research and make notes, so between them, they could write a blog on their visit.

So, a relaxing time, it won’t be. Si has bought a minibus which seats fifteen, so our problems of transporting the family about might be over. It’s quite luxurious, with comfy seats and was used before to ferry a film crew around. He thinks it should get us to Yorkshire and back on a gallon of fuel or some such nonsense. It’s a hybrid thing with a battery for helping to power us at speeds under thirty. Hopefully, our mileage won’t be that huge.

Simon announced I’d have to help drive it and to become aware of the difference in the size of the magic bus and my car. The bus was taller, wider and longer but otherwise, they were similar—they had wheels and ran on diesel.

While Cate is the smallest by some margin, her packing required as much room as mine, probably more so. I was taking a skirt and a dress with me in case it stops raining long enough to go out for dinner. I told the girls to look out for Gaby watching the race as she’s too young to ride herself and the wrong sex—this is a men’s race, the Tour Femina having ceased a few years ago which is a great pity. Anyway, it gave them something to do while we were away. There can be loads of standing around as the roads closed to traffic sometimes the day before. According to the press, Yorkshire is warming to Le Tour—be interesting to see if they still are when half the place is paralysed by road closures. Still, they love it in France, so it might eventually grow in the general public’s affections one day.

More and more people appear to be cycling, whether that’s an illusion or will stop when the weather worsens, I have no idea. But any time spent on a saddle has got to be good for you, so needs to be encouraged by the powers that be. It also means if they’re riding a bike, they can’t be driving a car at the same time, so that’s one less on the roads.

Having said that, the race uses two thousand vehicles and ten thousand volunteers for three stages but it’s a spectacle and the greatest annual sporting event in the world and I’m getting quite excited about it.

Danni was disappointed she couldn’t take her bike with us, but she could get quite lost and besides, there will be so many bikes around, she could get lost even more easily.

I did pop into the office to feed and water the dormeece but as I had no further marking to do, I cleaned out my office and went home to continue my packing for Friday. Tom was aware of my need and told me to get home and prepare my research for surveys in Leeds, Harrogate, York and Sheffield. I didn’t need telling twice.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
191 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I feel the same way

Julia Miller's picture

I know more about religion than most, and having been brought up in a religious household, I know my way through a bible. I like to use it when talking to the righteous types and use the knowledge to beat them over the head with it. I have the same opinion of religion as Cathy.

Road trip!

Not the castle this time. Wonder what kind of adventure they will run into there. Betcha Pudding will love Yorkshire *erm*. By the way I thought gas go by liters in Blighty and nobody uses the 'g' word.

Angharad, I for one would

Angharad,
I for one would love to see any of the races in person, regardless of where they are held.
There is an annual bike tour (not truly a race, however prizes are awarded to top finishers), that many families are in as well, as well as singular or tandem or group riders; plus all types of descriptions of bicycles doing the run. It starts in downtown Seattle,Washington and ends in downtown Portland,Oregon; a distance of 351 miles. Only backroads are allowed to be used, NO bikes allowed on the Interstate roads. Used to watch them coming and going, and my 4 children used to be at stations to offer water and snacks as needed. Many of the people doing the annual tour were Police Officers who rode bikes as part of their Patrol duties. Knowing many of them as I worked with them or knew them from other Agencies really made it fun to see them going by.

GuestReader,
When I lived in England in the middle-1950s, they used an Imperial gallon. It consisted of 5 liters. In Europe proper, it has always been strictly liters. In the 1960s and 1970s when I was stationed in Germany; All Americans affiliated with the Military, and I am guessing here, the Embassies as well, were issued Ration Coupons for gas purchases.
You could only buy either on the base/s and get a rousing 75 octane from the gas sold in the motor pools, or with ration coupons, you could buy at any ESSO stations. ESSO is EXXON under a different name. If your car engine was less than 100 horsepower, you got $50.00 in ration coupons. Over 100 HP got you $100.00 in coupons. This was for a complete month. If you were going on LEAVE and had your orders with you, then you could buy more than 100 gallons regardless of horsepower rating. If you elected to buy on the local economy and not use ESSO, then you paid the going rate at the pumps. In 1971, it was near $8.00 per gallon. Discovered that little fact when I was in Holland and found out ESSO coupons from Germany were not accepted. I was too far from any American base at that moment, so I "bit the bullet" and paid the "piper". I had a 1968 Chevrolet Impala, so it cost me close to $160.00 to fill the 20 gallon tank. When I got back to my base and informed the Base Finance people about that issue, I found out that none of them were aware our coupons would not work outside Germany. Oh well, lesson learned.
Prices over there may be definitely higher now. Janice Lynn

Nations divided by a common language

Rhona McCloud's picture

In 1966 UK an Imperial Gallon of petrol (gasoline) which had the same volume as 10lb (4.53kg) of water (unlike the US gallon equivalent of 8lb of water) could be bought at a garage (gas station) for about 4/9d (ie 4 shillings and nine pence which equalled 57 pence of which there were then 240 to the pound)......

As a comparison; then as now cycling was efficiently fueled with a combination of chip butties (sandwiches made with french fries) and Mars bars (Snickers). Although you may not ride one on a motorway (freeway) the byways (backroads) are often attractive running between drystone walls and laid hedges (no real US equivalent).

Rhona McCloud

Age appropriate language I guess

Given how young Cathy is ( I assume Bike is contemporaneous at this point ) I did not think she really used the gallon (Imperial or otherwise) anymore.

A dash of this a splash of that

Rhona McCloud's picture

Litres are what you get in the UK now but I'm back-reading Bike about 6 years behind and haven't noticed any of the time anomalies that jar with some stories. It must be difficult to not mention things like pop songs or politicians that will mean nothing in a short time. I learnt my cooking with things like fluid ounces but Cathy would only use a dash of this a splash of that.

Rhona McCloud

Not quite

sure who's the most excited about the TDF, Cathy or Angharad, Understandable i guess when it does this is only the second time in 111 years it has started in the UK...

Enjoy yourself Angharad, Tbh i don't think there is much danger of you not doing so. Hopefully the weather will be kind to you, Nothing makes you more miserable than rain dripping off the end of your nose, Take care.

Kirri

Ponty

Podracer's picture

I'm glad my family moved from the area (we had a chippy there when I was small) else I could have ended up down t' liqorice pit, bent o'er and wi' black teeth.

"Reach for the sun."