Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2399

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2399
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Just a couple more days in school then I have them home for seven weeks. If I disappeared to Menorca, I wonder how quickly they’d find me? Tempting though it was, I decided that I’d better stay home to stop Trish taking over the world and besides, Lizzie is still on full cream. So much for that idea. I’d just got back from taking the fab four to school, apparently, they have a party in their classrooms for Friday afternoon, then they break up at three. I did wonder if I forgot to collect them could put all four in the lost property cupboard until September?

It’s beginning to sound as if I hate my kids, I don’t of course, but they do take rather a lot of my time and energy in holidays. I wonder if I could buy a scale model of a nuclear reactor, plus uranium for them to build over the holidays?

I decided to speak to Si regarding a holiday on Menorca as we have this villa that Henry gave us, seems silly not to use it. I suppose we could go up to the castle, but whenever we do there seems to be a tragedy—nah, Menorca sounds a better bet, although we’d need a passport for Lizzie which could prove difficult.

I fed the little horror who I’m sure is part piranha; my nipples felt like they’d been chewed by a badger and she was grinning like a demon—assuming they grin. Jacquie then took her on to put in the washing machine, on a short cycle while I struggled on with the mammal survey. Data was now coming in by the skip load partly because it’s the time of year when mammals are busy feeding young so are more active. The other thing is we’ve had a period of good weather so people are out more and thus see more.

Worryingly, dormouse numbers seem down, as are harvest mice—mind you how people see them in the first place is astonishing. They are small and generally in corn fields. Given the spraying and then reaping with combines I’m surprised we have any at all. Perhaps this summer, the best for umpteen years, will help numbers of these and other creatures recover—though it’s doubtful. Farming practice has destroyed much of the wildlife of this country, except the most resilient species like rats and houseflies and that isn’t my opinion, it’s backed up by research by people like the RSPB who are finally becoming more holistic in their approach, talking about more than just birds.

I had an email from Dan the newly appointed manager of the woodland centre of which I’m the director. He sent photos of the progress they’re making in building it, it’s coming on a pace now, especially with the dry weather.

I caught up with the TdF, seems they’ve had awful weather in France with several nasty crashes and subsequent withdrawals—Cav was the first, followed by Froome, now it seems Contador is now out with a crash, so unless Nibali suffers something similar, it’s his for the losing.

I managed to get through quite a bit of work before David came and told me lunch was ready—toasted muffin with scrambled eggs and smoked salmon—oh boy, one of my new favourites. Stella was well into hers and eyeing mine, my sitting down at the table disabused her of making a takeover bid. The meal together with elderflower pressé was delicious and I went back to my study with a spring in my step.

It was one o’clock and I had barely two hours to get through the next pile of records. The problem was I had no one I could ask to help me except Jacquie and she was busy with the little ones especially when Stella’s two psychopaths are trying to kill them. So the bottom line is, get on with it and stop complaining.

I do wonder about employing a nanny again, to give Jacquie some space to do her own thing, but when I offer to discuss it with her she tells me she’s happy enough doing what she does. Oh well, I tried. The alternative would be to hire a secretary to do the tedious bits of the survey, like entering records. It’s about as exciting as watching paint dry. Talking of which, the world cup is over, I think Germany won. England were total rubbish—again, being knocked out by the blind school or was it Costa coffee. You’d think when the TdF is on no one would be watching bloody football, mind you the way the favourites are dropping out of that it might be deemed more exciting than usual while demonstrating that bike racing is quite a dangerous sport compared to soccer, where the greatest danger is falling off your wallet, unless that cannibal guy is playing and he tries to take a bite out of you.

The girls were still enjoying their enhanced status when I went to collect them and I did wonder if Trish’s head would fit inside the car, it had grown so much and her ego was even bigger—we’d need a trailer for that. In comparison, Livvie was much more grounded and laid back about their success and her contribution to it.

Back home after changing and completing any homework, we had dinner and were still eating when I heard a car enter the driveway assuming it to be Simon and Sammi, I almost got their meals out of the oven. When no one came waltzing in through the back door, I looked down the drive and saw the police car, a few moments later an inspector emerged and walked towards the door. He pounded on it ignoring notes to ring the bell. I rushed to answer it fearing that something could have happened to Si or Sammi.

“Lady Cameron?”

“Cathy Cameron, yes.”

“I think we have the correct person, might I speak with you for a few moments?” I invited him in barely able to keep my curiosity under control.

“Nothing has happened to my husband, I hope?”

“Not as far as I know; no, this concerns another matter.”

“Oh, which is?” I now felt relieved but curious.

“We have a new investigation begun into the death of Gloria Allen.”

That had to be a good thing because it seemed such a shock, “Oh, I thought that was misadventure while suffering from post natal depression.”

“We’d like you to remake your statement and add anything which you consider might have contributed to the possible murder of Mrs Allen.”

“You think she was murdered?”

“We are not ruling out foul play.”

“Wow, what does Neal say to that?”

“I’m afraid I can’t answer that as Mr Allen was arrested earlier this morning...”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
209 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What??

Dahlia's picture

I suppose that the plod are going to say that he's been playing the looney just to hide the fact that he offed his wife?? I hardly think so. After all, being in a psychiatric ward in some ways is far worse than being in a prison cell. Once again they seem to be haring it down the wrong road while the real criminal elements are having free rein wherever they please.

*sighs*

Her death was always suspicious to me... And, if Neal had anything to do with it, it MIGHT contribute to why he's not doing well...

But, why do I think someone might be trying to use that event against Cathy...

Thanks,
Annette

Because...

Because a dedicated hateful segment of the population seems to want to target Cathy just on general principles?

My question...

My question was intended to be rhetorical... And, your answer was "supposed" to be the implied one. Guess I have to work on my "rhetorical" inflection... :-)

Annette

Now which chapter was that?

I remember Neil working at the lab. So, her suicide was not post partum depression? I'll have to go back and re-read that part. The only problem with this story is that it is several times larger than the Bible, so considerable research is needed.

I was thinking about Jacqui. Is she the the woman who, as a little girl, was accused of drowning a little boy? She spent yonks in prison and some ass hole did a full hysterectomy on her. What a shit head.

Cathy's comment to this bit

Cathy's comment to this bit of news "Say WHAT!" This probably hit her like a knights mail gauntlet across the face.

Things Are Seldom As They Seem

littlerocksilver's picture

To quote W.S. Gilbert; I've thought all along that situation was very suspicious. The suicide was not right. However, that being said, our author may be just trying to allay suspicions once and for all and put the mystery to rest. There is also the possibility that at the conclusion of this episode, Cathy will find herself the official mother of the little one. To this point as far as I've been concerned, the death has not been properly explained. I think he's been faking it all along.

Portia

Closer examination

Of all the facts is called for. There is the problem that Neil has been slipping deeper into his own private hell.

[A] Neil had an psychotic episode so he may have snapped.

[B] Is confessing for a way to end his imaginary thinking he done it.

[C] Evidence may have come to light condemning him.

This list like Scrooge's chain is a ponderous thing. So I will join every one else in holding my breath until more information becomes available."As I presently lack sufficient data to come to a logical conclusion."

But who knows what evil which lurks within the hearts and minds of the mortal characters in her own stories Angharad does. Great chapter keeps me coming back for more.

Huggles

Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

As usual, DON'T TALK to the cops

without your solicitor present! Watch out Cathy, they ARE out to get you!

of course Gloria's death was a little strange.

So, the plot wrinkleth

Podracer's picture

When we'd all almost forgotten about that. Is Cathy about to save a bit more of the world and its children? I hope nothing in this is going to bite at her and hers.

Salmon and scrambled egg, mmmmm. I only ate this for the first time a few weeks ago. Better late than never on that.

"Reach for the sun."

Maybe

Teresa L.'s picture

He made some statement about him killing her, in that he got her pregnant, etc being the causality of her postpartum depression? i couldnt think what "new" evidence they could have at this late date, other than an "eye witness" coming forward, or a statement from him, but with his condition, why would the police take his statement as fact??

going to be very interesting, if i recall Cathy never did feel it was right.

Teresa

Teresa L.

Seven weeks !

I'm now jealous,, we only got five weeks ! Mind you it was over 40years ago.... So I guess things may have changed a little....