Eve - Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version
Eve  

Chapter 4
(Revised)

 

Simon Jones is Eve Jones. But she didn't know.

 

 
Previously:
 
Simon Jones aka Eve has returned home from hospital after surgery for a tumour. Life is just getting complicated, especially as school friends have just arrived.

Now the story continues.

Eve Chapter 4

Mum suggested we moved into the lounge, Claire & Annie sat opposite me & mum and waited patienty until I was comfortable and ready to answer their many questions.

I told them about the exam results, my name, the accident, tumour, surgery and (blushing) about why I was wearing mum's nightie and gown. Mum supported me while I said all this. I added, "You are my best friends, but please, do not repeat anything I've told you. This could end up in court and we need to keep it quiet. Can I trust you?"

They said I could.

Annie asked about my bald head, apparently I hadn't mentioned it. I turned so she could see the dressing and told them about mum shaving it off. They suggested I looked like the singer Annie Lennox but I failed to see the joke. Claire asked if I would be staying indoors.

"No, I have doctors and hospital appointments all week. So I will have to go out. I'm not looking forward to that." I patted my head gently.

Claire and Annie looked at each other, turned to me and smiled. Confused, I asked Annie what was going on as not a word had been spoken between them. I'd known the twins since we were 11 years old but still hadn't got used to their unspoken communications, "Wait and see, I think we can help you."

I was getting uncomfortable sat in the same position for so long but did not want to display any more than Claire had already seen. I shuffled slightly and felt a stab of pain in my crotch. I inhaled audibly and both mum and Claire looked at me. I tried not to look towards them as this could become embarrassing, well , at least more embarrassing than it already was.

"What's wrong?" asked Claire.

I stammered and started to sob. Mum whispered to Claire and dashed into the kitchen, returning with a glass of water and two tablets. She helped me to wash the tablets down with the water. Claire moved next to me and held me. My head slipped onto her lap and I dozed off.

I woke an hour later, my head still on her lap. I eased myself up, but not before Claire gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"What was that for?" I asked.

"For being so brave."

I started sobbing again but it was short-lived. Mum handed me a tissue and I dried my eyes. I needed the toilet and tried to get up, but was finding it difficult to stand. Mum brought the wheelchair across and they helped me into it, pushing me to the toilet door. I managed, by holding onto the walls, get to the toilet and sit down. That was all I could recall, I was later told that I screamed before I passed out.

I could hear voices but was unsure of where I was. Mum then said, "Lie still dear, let them do their job". Who?

I tried to open my eyes and saw two people in green uniforms in front of me. I was lying on the lounge carpet. My eyes focused slowly and I could now understand the other voices. The first uniform then spoke, "Relax Eve. My name is Dave and I'm a paramedic. My colleague is Julie. You have collapsed and we are checking your vitals. Please stay still."

I tried to speak but gave up. Mum wiped my head with a flannel, I decided I was not well, but perhaps that was already obvious to those others present. I became more aware of my circumstances and saw that my gown and short nightie were up past my waist. I couldn't feel anything, however. I tried to move my hand to check my crotch when the paramedic stopped me.

"Eve, please let us get you fixed up. I have given you a local sedative in the base of your penis and I'm now going to give you a shot of antibiotics. Your mum says you are not allergic to penicillin."

I shook my head and he continued.

"I understand that you've just been discharged from hospital and you appear to have an infection that may have been caused by the catheter. It's not dangerous but you do have a slight fever. That's why you fainted."

I nodded.

Having taken some blood, the paramedics lifted me onto the couch. Mum told me that they had thought about taking me back to the hospital, but as it was a mild infection, ('mild'?) they'd let me stay at home. Mum handed me a sleeping pill and a glass of water and I quickly fell into a dream-less sleep.

I woke about 4:P.M. I still felt rough. I shifted slightly and managed to kick the coffee table, knocking a glass of water over. Mum dashed from the kitchen with a cloth to clean up the table. She then went to get me a fresh glass as my mouth was dry. She had a digital thermometer in her hand and stuck it in my ear.

"37.8 C, that's better. Simon, the doctor has phoned. He is coming here later to check you over. Don't try and do anything."

I dozed off again, waking when the telly made a noise. Why did mum have to watch these stupid shows? It was obviously still Saturday and I haven't lost another day, yet. The doorbell went and mum went to open it. A man came in and introduced himself as Dr Kumar. He'd met me before, but I looked a bit different now. I hadn't been to see since a round of jabs at 11 years old, all the following jabs were done at school.

"So, are you Eve?"

Mum spoke for me, "Doctor, this is Simon but his full name is Eve Lynn Simon Jones. Your surgery has him as Simon on your files."

"Mrs Jones, we didn't have a Simon on our records, only you and Eve for this address. Our paper files were transferred to the computer 3 years ago."

Another computer!

The doctor put on a pair of disposable gloves and lifted my nightie to have a look at the offending organ. as I was lying down I couldn't see what he was doing, only feel it. He seemed satisfied and pulled my nightie down. He then took my temperature.

"You have a slight fever still but the infection is reducing. You will remain sore for several more days. You must do your best not to rub or uneccessarily handle your penis. I strongly suggest that you sit to use the toilet. You must also not wear any underpants or trousers for a few days, do you understand?" I nodded, not quite realising the implications.

"I am leaving some antibiotics with your mum, two tablets three times a day until I see you on Monday morning. Your mum told me you already have an appointment."

Mum thanked the doctor as he left then helped me take two of the tablets. I laid back down. I was in no state to check if my offending organ was on show.

***

I woke at 8 on Sunday morning, still lying on the couch, there was now a duvet over me. I swung my legs onto the floor and pushed the duvet to the side. I was a little wobbly but stood and made my way into the kitchen.

"Good morning Simon," mum said as I reached the table. She went to the coffee pot and poured one for me, handing me four pills.

"What are these for?"

"Simon, do you remember the doctor last night?" I nodded my head, but couldn't recall much.

"Doctor Kumar came to see you and left some antibiotics, you have to take two of them. The other two are the painkillers." I accepted this, took all four pills and swallowed them with my coffee.

Mum pushed the digital thermometer into my ear and decided that I was getting better. "Almost normal, we just need to know what is normal now."

Groan.

My bladder decided to give me an alarm call. I tried to get up but needed mum's help. She suggested to went to the main bathroom upstairs so I could have a shower as well.

An hour later, I was sat in my room, clean and refreshed, but still sleepy. I had another of mum's nighties on. I felt some discomfort in my stomach then remembered I hadn't eaten since breakfast yesterday. I was now a little steadier on my feet and, wearing a pair of slippers, made my way back to the kitchen. Mum was putting a bacon buttie together for me. Normally I'd have managed two of them but today was not normal.

Mum had the Sunday paper open. Apparently the recession was over, if you believed the headline. I asked mum where the paper had come from, seeing as she wouldn't have left me on my own at the moment.

"The girls came round earlier and asked if we needed anything."

I asked about Claire and Annie, I vaguely remembered them from yesterday morning. She said they'd stayed until the paramedics had arrived then gone home for lunch. They'd be back later this morning.

I was starting to feel brighter now and sat to read the newspaper once mum had finished with it. Mum made a fresh pot of coffee and produced a cake from somewhere. We were sat there when Claire and Annie walked in through the kitchen door. Claire was carrying a bag.

We chatted for a while and the girls told me a few of the stories from school, and the gossip that was circulating. I'd always been close to them but now had a huge soft spot for the girls.

I asked Claire what was in the bag.

She answered that with a question, "Have you worried about how you look?"

I shook my head, after all I hadn't gone out since I left hospital on Friday. Yes I was sat in a nightie but only mum, the girls, district nurse, delivery man, two paramedics and the doctor had seen me like this, and no-one had laughed, at least not to my face. Then I remembered, tomorrow I had to go to the surgery and later to the hospital. Claire saw my face change.

"We think we can help you." Claire opened the bag and pulled out a blonde wig.

up
400 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Return...

Andrea Lena's picture

...I'm thrilled at your return and very happy to re-discover Eve! Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Friends

Podracer's picture

It seems that "Eve" has some which is going to help. As long as they aren't getting any funny ideas...

"Reach for the sun."

I Saw That Coming

littlerocksilver's picture

I think the bigger question is about this infection and what the results of it might be. This doesn't sound like any 'minor' infection I've ever heard of. I would guess it's a UTI, but that could certainly lead to more serious things. How much of all of this is just coincidence? And, about those pills....

Portia

Annie Lennox

Rhona McCloud's picture

Happy that the girls still know of Annie Lennox even though Annie is of my generation. When is the story set?

Rhona McCloud

Eve will be even more a girl

Eve will be even more a girl than s/he is at this moment once the twins get done with her. Wonder what her Mum will be thinking once she see her daughter in all her radiate beauty?

Ho hum...

Another bureaucratic cock-up, and now the twins may have found themselves a life-size doll to dress up.

Move along now, there's nothing suspicious to see here at all... >evil grin<


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!