Havens Salvation 7-2 Meet and Greet

Printer-friendly version
Celtic Goddess.png

The Sisters of Perpetual Peace have chosen Betty White Owl to fill the slippers of Ann. This is bringing many changes into Betty's and her families life forcing Betty to the Bleeding edge of the battle to preserve Haven and its Shire from the greed and envy of some of the outside world.

I now understand what Betty was talking about being under a Grand Mothers scrutiny, damn this is uncomfortable. Louise

Celtic_Animal_Ornament.png
sweet-fantasy-h-mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-gifs_largejpggif_thumb.jpg
Ann when James Met her.
Any resemblances to any person living or dead is purely coincidental.
Copy Rite 2014 Michele WhiteWolf
Editorial salvation by djkauf
Creative Consultancy by Bailey Summers, and my two girls Anna and Crystal
Ms Mary Adelaide Wilkinson [ my mother who dragged me all over the back roads of Colorado bringing those historical souls back to life. ]
With out all of the efforts from the above this story would never seen the light of an audience.
Meet and Greet 7-2
Shadowing

Clint was sharp young man, when he took this job with the Legal Eagle Law group he had no illusions about the profession of being a lawyer. Law practice is like everything else; you did what you were told and given to do. Clint was also just out of law school and the newest member of the law firm. As such he was given the task of taking care of a troubled account. Clint was happy to be trusted with any client, even the ethical challenged Gorgon. So far he has lasted the longest of any intern working on this account; there was something in how he handled Ms Gorgon [Not her real Name ] which kept her as satisfied ,as she was likely to get, with the services rendered. The Receptionist had just informed Clint that Lady Gorgon was returning his call from eight this morning. Being a sharp lad he promptly and politely answered the phone on the second ring.

“Yes maam, thank you for getting back to me, yes I understand your time is precious so I will be brief. The news is concerning a set back to your project.

This situation was not created by any neglect of attention, We were legally outmaneuvered at the last moment. From your informants report it was because of a stroke of total blind luck. Haven’s civic officers managed to renew the town charter before the deadline..

No maam, you are anonymous, no one is aware of your involvement. There was nothing that could have been done to even slow it down. By the time the internal sources at county legal became aware of the procedures, Haven's reincorporation was signed and sealed.

Yes maam, this all happened in one business day. Yes, it is unheard of for the process to work so quickly. First the paperwork was pristine in its preparation. Next, for some reason no one can fathom, especially with it still being golf season, all three presiding judges were holding court yesterday.

Therefore, because nothing was out of place and nothing being remotely improper the judges signed off on the renewal between their sessions, and no favoritism or special treatment was made.

Yes maam, I did contact Judge Bean and she was intractably set that they could not and did not show Haven any special consideration and saw no reason to revisiting the issue. It was a standard renewal and she considers it no more important than cleaning her desk off.

Yes maam, I will keep you informed the moment any thing else happens.

Yes maam, this was the easiest approach but I was already researching a different one before this happened. Yes maam it is still in research. Yes maam, as always it is a pleasure doing business with you. Yes maam, this is one hundred percent confidential only I have any access to your information and it is removed from our system nightly and placed in the company Vault every night. Yes maam, good day.”

As the young lawyer was hanging up he could swore he heard the sound of something ceramic hitting a wall.

Show Me.

Louise

I started early today telling Betty to have another cup of coffee. She had a hard day yesterday saving the township charter, then a rough night sleeping last night. She so earned and deserved the time.

Yesterday I followed her suggestion in working out the details, with Greta , as to how we were sitting up the harvest workers. So I was more than a little surprised to receive a call from Greta's sister Gretchen. Mistress Spenser is the leading Elder of the people’s governing council. I haven't talked to the grand old women since Ann had passed and could only guessed that she had felt the changes in the Barrier up her way.

“Louise it has been way too long since we have had a chat, what rock have you been hiding under women.”

“Just the big one called Haven trying to keep both our selves and our little town alive. Our business and the Diner are doing just fine a few others were making a profit but the most of the rest of the people were looking really bad. Gretchen, I will not kid you. I thought we were done, heading to the trash heap of history. “

“So what happened to your little Burg that has things all a twitter? You folks lost Ann and started to become stand offish a few years after that you go totally AWOL for four years. and now all I get is just an Amityville back call from Greta..

Please understand I am very happy for the help, so I am not questioning your honestly wanting to help with the harvest, that is Greta's responsibility and is gratefully acceptable. I have known you and your parents for decades. I always liked you and your husband. But please if I don't have some answers to my questions I won’t have answers for our shield men.”

I now understand what Betty was talking about being under a Grand Mothers scrutiny, damn this is uncomfortable.

“Truth be told maam I am not totally clear on all that has happened to us, Betty is still unraveling that information. I am concerned what ever I say to. you can take it as me making excuses for our bad manners, breaking a mess of arrangements and letting you folks down. I hate excuses as much as you do.”

“Two things, Lou , speak your piece and let me decide if they are excuses or reasons, and two, call me Gretchen or Grand Mother the whole Maam thing puts my dentures on edge, You will soon enough be a crone so I can accept some familiarity.”

“Haven went through a slow shut down over the last six years. Permits were not issued by the state or county, We got little or no road maintenance. The gift Ann left us needed energy to keep it working but we didn't have that energy nor do we know how to repair the Barrier when it started to wind down. “

“As that happened we started to fall apart a bit at a time, the older people of the community started to die and there was no one there to replace them, Mike passed about a month and a half ago taking any of my hopes for our future with him.”

“About two weeks ago Betty stopped in town traveling through, trying to locate housing for herself and her two kids; then things started to happen. She had only been here for a day when the Reverend’s son severely beat up a teenager girl, who worked for him at his gas station The kid bolted running into the Dairy Barn being followed closely by Mongo. A few moments later Betty ran from the store being followed by that beast who was really focused on killing her. That didn't happen, Betty knows self defense, so she was prepared. Using a couple of whip sticks, she took Mongo down. Bruce was the responding officer who arrested then hauled Mongo off in a bear trap to the county lock up.

The next day Betty recognized two con artists who pulled in front of Sweets Cornucopia . Betty had been fighting them for years because they play dirty tricks on food banks and small businesses.

Betty wouldn't let them even get out of the car. And again Bruce was just going by when he noticed their car had out of date tags. Betty informed Bruce of her past experiences with them in the past. When he searched the women for weapons he found she had a trick coat filled with rat poop , dead rat bodies and some other tools of the trade, It turned out they were going try to sneak rats into the store, and then posing as County health inspectors, they were going to red tag the business.”

“ I have heard of this Betty White Owl's work before, Tell me what you know and I’ll share with you what I know,”

Our conversation covered a lot of ground from Maggie on the Isle of Man up to the arrest of Kurt. We talked for about one hour back and forward, not just about Betty and Ann.

“ Gretchen, this entire piece of land covering the WMR claim is considered by your and our Unseen as sacred Territory that must be protected at all costs.”

“Good luck at that Lou. There is an impressive array of people outside of our area who covet these hills, your Barrier stops some of the energy of greed, coveting and hatred. But it is becoming porous, weak and is in danger of falling apart.”

“Didn't you feel the change in things last month?`.

“Yes, we did, but from what we can see things are pretty much the same, just settled a bit. “

“Gretchen, I can't say more right now. Do you trust James still.”

That's an easy question. You bet I do. Of all the lunkheads living in that Shire Hippie Commune of yours he is the most level headed.

“Can I send him to talk to you so he could explain face to face the bigger picture. Things are best left unsaid until then. “

“Yes, you can and tell him to bring his appetite; it's about time that boy gets fed some real food. Tell him he still owes me the wager he made. I am just upset because that dog is back and never even said hello.

Louise, I think it might be good for all of us interested parties to have a Pow Wow. Would the old dancing circle be available, if Betty is willing and brave enough to meet me in person?”

"Yes she is willing. She wants to find the path to rebuild the relationship with your people. Betty is our “She who must be obeyed leader” in this matter. So Haven has decided to follow any thing she negotiates. Gretchen we are so interested in making amends and putting things right.”.

“Lou, do you think Betty intends to repeat this next year.?”

“Yes. Absolutely she means for it to become an annual tradition . You folks will have the use of the Produce Docks and the Snow Goose to get your products here. And we have a lot of our 4 H kids to helping in the picking a mess of man muscle for toting, and a lot of my Hens for trimming and packing. Betty and her two daughters will be helping as well.”

“So, White Owl is willing to get her, and her kid's hands dirty good for them, teaches a kid a lot of values seeing their parents getting dirty for the right reasons. You have no idea just how happy you have made the Bear, Lou, he had that hang dog look about him for the last three weeks trying to figure how to get everything in on time. He told me yesterday that with the extra hands the harvest will go faster allowing us to get in on the early market before the others.

But why are you just asking for the gleanings and left overs. Don't you folks need the cash?”

“ Gran, both Betty and I see this as a way to start making amends for our stupidity of the past decade. We missed a lot being too self absorbed. The food will be payment enough. We need to refill a lot of pantries here for the winter. And the good will we hopefully start to earn between our people is priceless. Consider this just a down payment on our future actions when it comes to being there for our neighbors. Bets is strong in the traditional ways and all of us here defer to her leadership. There has been to much isolation on our end and it is past time we did something about mending the fences we broke.”

There was a few moments of silence before Gretchen continued.

“Lou, I have prayed for this day for a very long time. What ever Betty is doing, she is doing a whole lot right. Us elders have been seeing this big Winter White Owl hanging around here This Owl is telling all of us, that we should listen, because it appears that we are going to be seeing a lot more of each other.

I want to let you know, Lou, it's going to be the young adults and kids who will be the hard sell. They're really cynical and have already made it clear that it will take a whole lot more than harvest help to change their view that this is just a game to endear your selves to us again. Most of the kids either think Betty is a want to be or an apple. I know better now as I see your heart and see your actions. They are too young to do that yet.”

“Gran, Betty is very aware this is the case; she also wanted to check if she could have a meet and greet with only her and the interested parties at your meeting hall soon. She will have time after the harvest but I told her she needed to get the OK through your sister and councils. I also warned her that she will need her flame proof underwear.”

“Let’s continue this discussion face to face say about noonish Sunday after church. And be a dear, have Bob pack us some of his fantastic food in a picnic basket, every thing goes better with his food.”

“I will do just that, Gretchen, and thank you for being so helpful with this.”

“Lou, it’s not every day I get a great Snowy White Owl delivering dead mice as calling cards requesting an audience. Crud, your Betty is worse than a Harry Potter movie. Tell her a text message is acceptable. Any way, Louise, I got some things to do, while the day is still young, so please give James my regards? Hoot a loo to you Lou. By”

I could only chuckle at how much things have and have not changed. Old enough to be more familiar, and a crone. That's coming up in the world for me.

Where do we go from here?

C

Confessions

Lilly

Living in the royal house didn’t prepare me at all the world had to offer but I was not a stranger to hard work and dirt. I knew nothing about the wolf part of my heritage but I was neither lazy nor did I play princess. So when James departed last night his calling me a Spangling comment hit a nerve. But I could not allow my emotions to show. Both Melissa and myself are technically Spangling's, so a use of this term is a bit of an insult, meaning wet behind the years green and unproven. It is usually reserved for the young men in their teens who need to be reminded that others older and wiser lead, and they as fresh meat are to follow. With my manifestation and Melissa’s turning happening later in our lives we feel like we have been demoted back into being flea bitten unkempt children eating at the little table during holidays.
.

Settling a stomach

I woke up early the next morning just before dawn. The rabbits I ran down last night didn’t sit well with my tummy so I was a bit grumpy. I then was startled at a cracking coming from the bushes in front of a little cave I dug out between some big rocks to sleep in wolf style last night. A small deer came out into the clearing looking around cautiously, sniffing the wind for danger. I just stayed very still and watched; soon mama dear came looking for her kid who was now eating the sweet tasting fall grasses. Both ate their fill and wandered off looking for water.

I have become very close to the pulse of nature, the enhanced senses I now have makes every day life a visceral experience for our race. When you can sense the heart rate and breathing of your prey there fear their terror you are on the bleeding edge of nature.
This is a two way street, as wolves we know that we can and are hunted too, so when I was startled awake it was out of concern that I was in danger. The funny thing was I was something they should be scared of not the other way around.

My stomach grumbled again and lower down rumbled reminding me I needed to take care of things. It then occurred to me that for some reason there was energy leaking through the barrier that was affecting living things on this side as well, that's why my tummy was wonky. So this morning I took a run in wolf form to find something better to eat, and to rid my self of last night’s rabbit as well. Moving a respectable distance from the leaking point I was able to get two more much plumper rabbits for a replacement brunch. These I cooked over a camp fire to be safe. This time the roasting made a big difference in their taste and my gastronomic comfort level. It would appear that rabbit Sushi requires especially good quality Rabbit.

I cleaned up my cooking mess and went for a patrol run to check things out for any changes. In climbing up a couple of trees I was able to get a sense of the slope and lay of the topography around the cave where the stones were coming out. I went far enough away from the weakened spot and any piles of those damn stones to safely pass through the barrier. Coming around the back side of the mine shaft I had to in a number of place be very careful. I carefully walked around the Swiss cheese holes I sensed under the forest floor. A hundred years ago where people were done with a hole or wanted to hide it they just laid down logs and covered the lid with brush and dirt. This gave me an idea of how to reroute the stones coming out of the mine away from the wounded area.

I was just coming back to where the watching point was when I felt a painful pressure change in my wolf ears. I knew this meant that James through his portage device was returning to this area so I sat and waited under cover.
Soon a shimmering silver oval appeared hanging in space just above the ground; the oval was apparently only two dimensional and opened on the other side to where James was coming from. In moments I saw my teacher’s leg then the rest of him come out of the oval backwards carrying something between himself and another,. who was also slowly struggling with the cloth wrapped weighty bundle. Following on the other end came a tall totally bald human wearing Druid’s robes

Not what was expected

Lilly

The human had a peaceful contemplative look on his face as they sat down their end of this bundle. I stayed out of sight to find out who this person is. Watching as the bald human breathed in the forest air and with a ready smile he slapped James on the shoulder exclaiming loudly,

“So this is what you have been hiding from me all these years, James.”

“I can nay hide any thing from ye Elric. Ye be to sharp for me wee brain to outwit. Ye do remember ye old goat that both Ann and Maggie tried for the longest time, to entice ye to visit, the answer given was blunt, leaving no imagination what you would rather be doing. So we just thought more for us”

Elric laughed a long undignified laugh. His relaxed manner and lack of stuffy attitude, gave me quite a pause. My father knows a lot of Druids among the Unseen but this one is so not like the others this one is so natural?

Past Continuum

Alease /Betty

I woke up earlier than both me mom and dad, really early this morning with the taste of my Scottish mother's healing broth still in me mouth. I was a bit set back not to find myself in my sleeping nook but on an unfamiliar soft bed. I was in some very bonny shelter I have never seen the likes even in a fever sickness. Stumbling out into the larger part of this dwelling I gazed upon two wee lassies sleeping in their bed protected by a large white wolf, at least that felt right.

“Alease, my girl, I said to me self, when did ye sleep away so long ye forget being married with two children. Ye would think Me wouldst remember having them.”

Then the smallest one called out for mama Betty, who in the world would she be. The smell of a stiff harsh smelling something heating in another room, stirred a memory. Following the smell I saw my reflection in a silvery surface that was suspended in thin air. On one side me seen the white wolf was jumping into but nay coming out the other side.

OMG That shook the Gallic out of me, startling me back into my mind of who I am now. Good goddess I needed that coffee now. Was that Melissa or Lilly or did we have a real pet wolf?

Betty, my woman you need some one to seriously talk to about this. Does Ann's order have a Witch doctor. That thought got me laughing at my silly self, yep I am back in order. The memory of being Alease hung with me all morning long at least until the kids were off to school. There was a bi when the kids asked me something and I answered they looked at me as if my mind had wandered off some where and I had slipped a cog or something When I asked what was the problem with them it occurred to me I was talking to them in old Scottish. I was able to pass it off as a joke and Crystal started imitating me like a the little girl mocking bird she is. This did not help my feeling of incongruity with my settings. I called Louise and told her about last night and needing some time to reset my brain to present time and place. Laughing at me

“Bets let’s meet over at the Dragon; say ten this morning for breakfast my treat and we can talk about your night and my morning OK.”

“Just keep the funny farm people away from me if I start to talk in Scottish and saying my name is Alease. In the dream I killed a bear with one arrow at point blank range, I think I may be a little twitchy this fine morn.”

Grand mother Spencer

Gretchen.

Robert my youngest son at twenty three was up unusually early this morning and had come into my office with a couple cups from our local chains who served the Heavenly bean brand. My boy can be a sharp stick to the eye for others, but he loved me, and for the most part, respected me. I started as he was sitting down.

“I am a bit shocked by the fact that White Owl has volunteered for a parley with no preconditions or agreements. She called it a “meet and greet.”

“Mom it's going to be more like a Meat and grill. I’ll bring the A1. Does that women think a name is going to let her just walk in and snow us again. Hell no, I remember how they stranded us ten years ago we almost went belly up. So no one of my lodge is going to be too pleasant with this want to be.”

“I won't be happy if it turns into that so I want you and your band to keep it civil, and allow Betty to be seen and heard before any one starts target practice.

Listen, Robert I am still smoking this person out, but what is printed about her, and who her enemies are impress me. What she is doing in Haven aligned with what I know about her. Added to that she has agree to meeting us on my terms with only herself as back up. She is no fool and has been straight with every one she has worked with.”

“So she has a good work ethic; wow I impressed. She is just another apple trying to get a pass to fuck us over. As far as being no fool, her coming here alone does her no credit?

Does she have any Idea what’s happened here for the last ten years. Most of us never got a childhood because you parents were scrambling so hard to keep us fed. I will promise to keep my hands to my self Ma, but I will not pledge for any others in my crew.”

“I have raised you better than that Rob you never have met her yet you judge her, You haven't even used your vision to see her heart, I have done both or I would not have agreed to her request to meet the council for a parley. She is no Apple she is skin and honors both of her grandmothers traditions. There is talk she has been chosen by the Scotsman James as his new charge. There is also proof she now walks the same path of knowledge Ann walked, and has pledged her blood and body to protect what stands here to Ann's benefactress. Win louse or draw she has never backed down, from any fight; those are actions not words“

“She just wants something from us; it's always their way, when they get what they want they go away until the next thing comes to their little minds. What’s on this ones list; what are they willing to trade; why does she want to talk to us.”

“Betty White Owl is her name she alone has called for this get together she is alone the night after the harvest has been completed, with no list, no expectations. She just wants to meet with us so we can see who she is and she wants to know her neighbors so she can learn where our interests can help one another. Betty is the new Township’s manager and has been given leave to act on the best interests of both parties with no interference.”

“So the Havens hippies finally bit the bullet and figured out they have a shit plan for living in the modern world.”

“ No Rob there are two many signs that spirit has led Betty and her family to Haven. In the first days she was there Betty physically stood up and stomped the Reverend's son, preventing him from killing Jessie's daughter. She also busted those two con artists who closed our food bank and got them arrested for being lying frauds. She has been working the last three weeks doing all sorts of paperwork for that township saving their charter and finding needed supplies to repair the towns services. She has friends in every county west of the Cascade divide and quite a few in the eastern side of the state. Every one of them I have talked to has told me exactly the same thing. Betty has guts and brains. That she walks her talk and is honest and
fair.

Rob, all she is asking for is to parley on fair terms with no bull shit, those are her words. All I ask is that you do not lynch her before you get to hear her.”

Mother you are my elder and my kin, I will listen and I will watch. If she squirms or fails to be up front and speak the truth I will roast her where she stands. “

Son I would expect nothing less of you. Robert, I will make you a deal If you bring the grill, I will bring the matches and the charcoal.”

Robert roared like his daddy does.

Puzzled by pieces.

Betty

It was a beautiful Pacific Northwest fall day in Haven, It was still before ten AM and I already had a full start on the day. I wonder if the other people around the town had a full morning or lax. I felt I had already worked half a day just getting back to emotionally being here. I was reading about the village recently discovered in the northern highlands but I must have dozed off because I startled awake presently being shocked awake by the slow motion vision of seeing Alease's arrow entering the right eye of a charging bear and the bear dropping sliding to a stop at my or Aleases's feet.
I decided I needed noise and bustle around me so I would more likely be able to hold my mind in this time frame So freshen up my self a touch of foundation eye liner with a spot of eye color some blush schemer of lip gloss and my bandana I was on my way to the Dragon.

Louise joined me in but a moment waiting only for Mia to fill her cup with coffee before quietly exclamation “spill girl.”

Louise for a short time this morning I was confused if my name was Alease or Betty and things felt a little surreal both physically and emotionally. I woke up tasting my mother’s soup like I just had some. I still could hear the Norse Vikings ask my dad to ask my permission if they could share the bear for the help of butchering it. I even spoke to the kids in ancient Scottish in answering a question they had asked. Both looked at me like I was pulling their leg in a joke so I just played along like I was. It took until the children went to class for me to stop sounding like James. Crystal started to imitate the both of us too well for my tastes.

“Sounds fun, Betty how do you feel now.?”

This is my fourth cup of coffee and I am beginning to feel solid again.”

“Sounds like a hell of a memory vision to me what else do you recall.”

Louise took my hand in hers then I related the entire story to her, the names of my family members laughing at Conan being a solid Scottish name. Where the rock pile house was, the bear the Norse and my wee bonny sister Ann.

“Betty, if you don't mind ,I want to call a friend in town who speaks Swedish and Danish' You are recalling the language spoken very accurately I would like to have her listen to this. You had an immense experience, I really think you need time to absorb what happened and not try to carry on as usual. Our office work is done for this week; we are good today. There are some things coming up but they can wait. So today we get the day off and I want to spend it with my best friend.”

Futurus Persevero
[To be Continued]
Remember your comments are the Tiermisu in a writers life our egos need to know how we are doing so please leave a comment.
Celtic_Animal_Ornament.png
up
121 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I hope

things go well, but so far Rob is acting like an ass. bad experience or not, meet then judge not the other way.
good chapter, thanks

Betty is humble

But still the student of some pretty serious magic. She will do her thing, that includes not backing down. Rob is a young buck wet behind the ears and about to try to carry an Owl home by the tail, this lesson will remain with him for a very long time.

Thanks for the comments

Huggles

Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Interesting story, it has

Interesting story, it has always fascinated me as to how people can create preconceived ideas and beliefs of others before even meeting them in person. Then amazingly, they find out that the person is not exactly like they thought or believed. Had this done to me several times in my military career, where I would arrive at a new base and a new unit, only to be told by others who I should avoid and who I should 'hang out with'. My reply was always, 'Thank you for your imput; however I will decide on my own regarding this person or any person as to whether I and they can be friends or not. This is how I perceive Betty being treated right now by Robert and others in their tribe.

Wary

terrynaut's picture

It's understandable how Grandmother Spencer's kin are wary of Haven's change, but I hope Betty is able to show them they have nothing to fear.

Ms. Gorgon continues to annoy and amuse me. Thanks for that.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

He is not wise.

As Gretchen warns him there are things that show this may be real and not just a scam. The kids of the reserve are very weary of any 'White people ' But as Gretchen describe her own son as being a stick in the eye to others. Remember he is a kid and knows everything , but to his credit he is also worried about his people and how can he a new Shield Man protect what he does not understand.

The next two parts are hard emotionally for me to write because of the need to balance believability, historic reality, and my total compassion for the First people in my family.
I do not want to get into a bashing contest as Betty is of first people culturally and by ancestry but she is perceived as being white. She has been wronged by the powerful few who broke so many laws in forcing her a 14 year old kid to leave there family then to steal the land there family had loved on for thousands of years just out of spite. Now to be linked with those who did the horrible deeds is a real kick in the heart.

I can tell you for first hand that you do not want a Native Grand Mother to target you with her intent she can pound you to pieces and you may have been 6' 8" coming in but you will be 4' x4' when you leave. But come to them with respect and honor there ways you can be on the road to earn there trust. That is Betty's path. However Betty does have a plan X to use, which will level the playing field.

Thanks for reading and commenting,this allowed me to share some of the juicy little bits, I am glad you are having fun.

Huggles

Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Victims

Rob refuses to see that Haven was as much a victim as his people. The true enemy is somewhere else. That young lawyer who is just following 'orders' for one. I'm looking forward to seeing how Rob fares trying to grill an Owl. :)
Hugs
Grover