Julina of Blackstone - 030 - Needles

Printer-friendly version

Julina's afternoon could hardly be described as peaceful.

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

030 - Needles


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
030 – Needles


“But what can we do? You all seem to just know, but I don't. It's not fair.”

“That's for you to decide not me, nor Swayga, nor Papa. You have to learn to stand up for yourself sometime, so why not make a start now?”

“How do I decide that? For that matter, how do I decide anything?” he nearly wailed.

“Make a little list in your brain, and start with the thing that you most want to do. Then think about that. Think about it BEFORE you start to do it, don't just leap in and start doing it. Does it annoy or inconvenience anyone else? Yes, it does? Then pass onto the next in your list. No, it doesn't? Then start with some more questions. For instance, ask yourself if there is time to complete it before whatever is to happen next in the household. … Is there time to complete it? Yes, there is? Then get on and do it. No, there isn't? Then ask yourself if it can be left unfinished until you have the time to get back to it. And so on and so forth. All sorts of questions come up. Do I need someone else to do this with me? If yes, do THEY want to do it? Have THEY got the time. And so it goes on.

“This is what WE all have to do all the time. YOU need to start doing this now you are getting to be such a big strong lad. You can always ask any of us older ones for advice, but I don't want you to rely on them any more to tell you what to do.”

I looked Kord straight in the eye as I was saying this, holding his eyes with mine, almost daring him to look away. I knew he dare not, so I added one last command: “And when there are chores to be done, like laying the table, or carrying pel pots, then you won't be told any more. You do it. Even, and I want to make this perfectly clear, even if you are in the middle of doing whatever it is you have decided to do. Chores have priority and it is YOUR responsibility to look around and observe and see where you can help. No more babying for you, young man. If you ever want to be respected as a Master, then now is the time you start earning that respect. This is what everyone else in this household does and you are now old enough to do the same. Leaving that window open just the other day when it started to rain was just plain thoughtlessness. From now on, YOU will clear up any mess that your thoughtlessness causes. And it will be worse for you if you do not even recognise the necessity.

“Think on this for now, and then come back to me later – or any of the others. Your time will start from when we wake tomorrow. Are you fully clear?”

He nodded, somewhat reluctantly, but nevertheless he nodded. I sighed inwardly. Another child growing up all too fast. I reflected that maybe it was for the best to get him started before I became officially an adult. With that, I turned away to continue with packing up my private things, which was a task that I had set myself for that afternoon.

And a task I had strongly suggested that the others start doing.

… … ...

After lunch, most of the others had put their heads down for their afternoon nap, even though we were doing the two sleep nights, but Papa, Kords and I went down the slope to the new house to discuss practicalities. Swayga stayed at home, of course, to be there for the children should they wake.

We three decided that it was time to take some things with us, to make it a little less empty down there, so we managed between us a small table and three chairs. The table was in fact my night table, but we solved any problems that might cause by shifting Kords' one into the space between our beds, and we could share that for the short interim period. We also took a candlestick, some candles and an oil lantern, so we were all quite well-laden!

As we descended the slope, we saw the party of men returning from the far end of the dam lake. We would have waved but our arms were full. Master B started to detour towards us, signing that he wondered if we required help. Papa somehow, despite having full hands and arms, conveyed that it was not necessary, so they went on down to the Claw, whilst we stumbled our way to our destination.

When we three arrived at the house, we met a team working feverishly to get the last roof pieces attached and properly finished.
They had re-opened the windows, the ones you will remember that Papa and I had closed before, to let some of the new wood smell escape. We placed our burdens in the family room and went to chat with the roofers and to see what they were doing.
But we didn't make it there before we were distracted.

There were some totally unexpected and very loud clanging noises from the kitchen area that attracted our attention, so we went down there to see what was happening. A pile of piping had been dropped on the floor, which action created the clatter that had drawn us there. There we found two of Master Rostan's apprentices and one of Master Torin's, the carpenter. The first two I didn't know well, just having seen them around town, but the carpenter's man, that was Denesar. Kords dug me, none too gently, in the ribs and swayed out of the range of my retaliation. The three of them looked up at our footfalls.

“Hello men,” started Papa. “I am Master Kordulen, the soon-to-be occupier of this new house, along with my family. I wasn't expecting to see anyone in here today. What, pray, are your assigned tasks?”

The two plumber's men all looked at Kords and me and sort of dismissed us, before turning their attention to Papa, but Denesar gave a grin and a little wave to us both, trying to acknowledge us without interrupting the men's explanations. This didn't work, since they were more interested in why Denesar should be so friendly. It took a meaningful cough from Papa to regain their attention.

“Seems, sir, we have to run some piping from the kitchen to the bathrooms. Some new-fangled idea that is bound to go wrong, but that is what we was told to do. The other lad here is to drill the holes for the pipes in the wooden walls. 'E works for Master Torin, like, and we's from Master Rostan.”

I realised suddenly that they were going to try my idea of a hot water tank in the kitchens and pipe feeds of the water to the baths. I gasped in surprise and must confess I sort of had a private glow of pride.

But as they described their task further, I grew more and more uneasy. They wanted to run a separate pipe for each use, rather than have one big pipe that was gradually split as it approached a usage point. There would be two baths, well three actually since there would be a second smaller one in the women's room for THOSE days, and a hand basin in each of the bathrooms and in each of the privies.

“No, no, no. Don't do that,” I said. “That's just a waste of effort. Run a bigger pipe from here to the first bathroom, for example, and then split it there. Don't have many pipes all from here. Apart from the waste of pipe, it means that there have to be so many more connections into the tank. Just have one. Maybe have two just in case, but certainly no more.”

They all looked at me in astonishment, the plumber's men with a sort of sneer, showing that they couldn't grasp the fact that a mere woman could correct them. They looked at me long enough to be sure I had seen, then they turned away dismissively, using the movement to return their attention back to Papa.

“So anyway, Master. We will put these seven pipes through here …..” there was a very slight emphasis on the word 'seven' and I think that was the thing that tripped Papa's anger.

“Enough! Get out now. Don't come back. I shall be speaking with Master Rostan as soon as I am able.”

They looked up in astonishment, mouths hanging open much like the foti I had seen down at the fish farm. The spokesman was about to speak when Papa beat him to it.

“Begone! Now! Say not a word. Just go. NOW.”

They scrambled to their feet and beat a hasty retreat, leaving Denesar standing there wondering what he was supposed to do.
They tumbled out of the kitchen door into the 'courtyard' and stood there for a moment, looking completely confused. They started muttering to themselves and gesticulating, then they cast dark looks towards Papa standing in the doorway and went off, heading directly towards the plumber's.

Papa turned round again and went over to the third of the workers.

“I'm sorry, young Denesar. It appears there is nothing for you to do right now. Until we know the correct size of piping to be used, we won't have to drill any holes in the wooden walls. My compliments to Master Torin, and tell him the plumber's boys were insubordinate and I sent them home, so you have currently nothing to do. This will all be able to be done actually at any time, so we may even be moved in before you needs cut your holes.”

“Very well, Master. Farewell. And farewell too, for now, Julina, Kordulet.”

We smiled, admittedly with somewhat strained ones, but nevertheless we smiled our goodbyes.

When he had gone, Kords said to Papa: “Papa! Wasn't that a little strong? Those boys were just trying to do what they had been told to do! They weren't rude or anything.”

Papa looked gently and fondly at Kords, before saying: “They were disrespectful, disrespectful in the extreme. They disparaged your sister and showed no respect for you either.”

“Oh poo, Papa. It's not anything unusual. We are women, girls. It's the sort of behaviour we get every single day of our lives. Even from YOU!”

“From me? When have I ever put you down like that?”

“Every single time you answer for us, make decisions for us, accept other people's greetings on our behalf. Every time you carry on a conversation with us standing around behind you. Every time someone greets us as a family group, they always direct their remarks to YOU. Just now you even told them that this was YOUR home, with your family, but you didn't even acknowledge us standing right here with you. Then there's the times …... oh, I can't be bothered to go on. Every single man treats us as incompetent, weak, thoughtless, mindless, useless, not worthy – until they want something, usually food, washing, pressing or nursing!”

Papa looked shocked. He glanced at me, about to say something, but a little shake of my head let him know that it would be better not to protest further.

There was a pregnant silence broken when he took a little breath, obviously having been thinking deeply about what Kords had burst out with. His face cleared slightly as he gently spoke once more: “And also, Kords – dear Kords. Thank you for your very educative remarks. You should know that there was another factor as well. This change they wanted to do, this running of pipes and so on. You remember that they said from the outset that it was a stupid scheme that wouldn't work?”

Kords nodded.

“Well, it was your sister's design! They were telling me that they thought your elder sister was incompetent.”

Kords was struck speechless and glanced over to me for confirmation, which I gave her using my eyes and a little nod. It was Kords' turn to have her mouth drop open.

“Come on you two,” I said brightly, “let's go and annoy the other group of workers.”

… … …

We scurried up the hill to the old house where the others were waiting, probably awake from their naps by now. Despite our scurrying, we were still caught by the first drops of the downpour to come. Heavy drops, but thin and icy, striking our exposed bits quite painfully. I would describe it as like being stabbed by blunt needles. We had cut it just too fine. Fortunately we were only a couple of casts from the shelter, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Down at the house, we had gone along to the workers who were adding the roof over the area allocated to just me. They had brought with them two large pre-built blocks of wood which proved to be simplicity itself as they attached them to each other and to the roof resting bits at the ends, as well as to the rest of the house at one end. I have no idea what they call those resting bits, but the roof pieces simply rest on them, each side angling down, so the resting pieces can be described as being triangular.

Now, some of you will have noticed that I said it was simplicity itself to attach the giant roof slabs to the resting pieces. What I have not reported is that it was awkward, but not TOO difficult, to get those resting pieces into position.

It was, however, EXTREMELY difficult to get the heavy and unwieldy roof slabs into place in order to be attached.

It was at that time that we found that Papa's dismissal of the plumber's apprentices was a fortunate happening after all.

For they returned to the house, along with Master Rostan and also Master Bezan who had been drawn into the discussions, apparently meeting them all on the footpath of Main Street, just below the Claw. They all decided to come up to our new place, to get the problems solved as soon as possible. (It was only later, as you shall see, that I learnt that my design had been incorporated in several houses, and thus any changes needed a rapid solution – if there was a fault in the design, then it had to be identified as soon as possible.)

Thus it was that there were five extra male bodies present (the two apprentices, Masters Rostan and Bezan, and Papa) just when the roof builders needed a lot of help. With all those willing hands, the job was a lot sooner done and the roof-builders were very grateful.

I was fascinated to watch how they did it.

First they loaded one of the giant roof bits on the back of a wagon, along with some large number of equally-sized stone blocks. Then they backed the wagon up until the tailgate was just touching the wall of my room. You must bear in mind that all our houses have a large overhang of the roof when looking at the walls. This is because the walls are almost always followed, on the outside, by a walkway, so people can remain relatively dry in the rains.

I had been told that the overhanging part of the roof was referred to as the “eaves”, a strange word that I needed help with to spell out properly, but this is necessary as you shall soon see.

When it rained, then the water would cascade down the roof and drop off onto the ground a stride or more away from the walls. This way, the walls need not be quite so stout, protected as they were from the greater part of the weather. In the hot sunshine, the overhang provided some degree of shade. One minor disadvantage, but as it happened so rarely it really was very minor, was that anyone standing there, under the roof overhang, could hear what was said inside the house. They had made a special word for that, a word I found excellent because of the mental picture it conjured up. Anyone standing under the overhang was between the house and the point where the rain dropped off the roof – or, better said, the point where the eaves forced the water to drop. So we described these folks out there, unseen by those inside but listening to the conversations within, as being “eavesdroppers”.

Anyway, back to the roof construction.

Half the wagon, well maybe not exactly half, but a stride and more was under where the eaves would stick out to. (I am told that this should read '….. where the eaves would project to', but that seems wrong somehow – it doesn't feel like MY sort of language.)

The men then swung the roof bit around until it was on its bottom edge and was standing vertically, the sides in line with those triangular resting pieces I described earlier. The men then tipped the roof piece to one side, raising the bottom edge on one side. They then slipped one of the stone blocks under that corner. Then they strained and tipped the roof piece the other way, slipping two stone blocks, one on top of the other, under the opposite corner. Then they tipped it the first way again, and so on, building up the blocks under the roof piece, until it was above the correct required height. Using ropes, they then lowered, as gently as they could, the roof piece into place. Of course, it wasn't quite right the first time, so they had to raise it upright again, shove the whole thing a thumb or so to the right, and then lower it again.

Thus they found the first roof slab its correct position and it was gently eased into place before being secured to the resting places and the top of the walls. As this was an addition to the house, then it could also be secured to the main wall of the house, this roof being a step down from the already built main roof, and its overhang.

Then they had to do the same exercise for the roof on the other side of the ridge. This was even a little trickier since the ground there did not allow for the approach of a wagon, so they had to first build a sort of platform that would take the weight of the roof slab AND of the stones AND of the men.

Finally it was in position and fixed. They would normally have then stuffed the joints and sealed them, but as mentioned elsewhere, time was getting short.

Master Bezan and I went back to the kitchen with the three Plumbers, whilst Papa scrambled up a ladder onto the roof, calling for a few buckets of water to pour over the joins to see if they kept the water out properly. He commanded Kords to stand inside and check.

Meanwhile, my conversation was going on as we passed along inside the house, and I could point to the various doors and rooms as I went.

“Master Rostan, when we first spoke, you told me that making a joint in the side of the tank weakens the tank. And yet these men of yours told me that they were going to make no fewer than seven. And if you think about our water supply as we get it now, there is one large 'pipe' which brings it to the Cistern, and then a series of smaller 'pipes' which supply each place in which it is used. I just applied the same principle here. Let's have one larger pipe running from the kitchen, through the stores cupboards corridor, and into the first – the men's - bathroom, through that, then through the first and second privy and into the second bathroom, our bathroom – the women I mean.

“You further told me that it is easier to make a joint in a pipe than in the side of a tank. So it seems to me that it is far better to just run thinner pipes to where they are required as branches from the thicker pipe, once that thicker pipe has reached the relevant room.

“This will allow simpler maintenance everywhere, and will also mean that there are far fewer holes to be carved out in each of the walls through which the pipe shall pass. Each room should also have a control valve, as we discussed, so that in the event of a break in a pipe or a spigot, we don't simply lose all the hot water we have been at such pains to produce.”

The two apprentices, once again, had their mouths wide open as they observed a mere girl talking to two Masters almost as an equal, and being listened to respectfully. I could almost hear their brains creaking as they struggled to accept what had until then been absolutely unthinkable to them. Under any other circumstances, I would almost have laughed out loud, but this whole thing was my idea and my idea alone. I had conceived it, planned it, discussed it and formulated it all by myself before telling anyone about it. Papa, Master Rostan, Uncle and Master B had all been involved in various ways, but this was my idea, and it felt like it was my baby somehow, something I had breathed life into and brought into this world.

So I was really quite ferocious in my opinion.

The rest of them gathered around all managed (eventually) to accept my point of view, and (eventually) the others, the Plumbers, went off back to their workshop to work on the new design, Master Rostan having filled Papa in when he came in with Kords and they both joined us after testing the new roof.

Apparently, it was a fairly water-tight fit all the way around, and also at the joint of the two slabs, only a few spots where drips might get through. The roofers and Papa had been keeping an eye on the weather, and they saw the first curtain of rain high up on the hillside. The rain was approaching but not too rapidly. The roofers would nail down a tarpaulin as a short-term measure, there being insufficient time to stuff and seal the joints (with boiling pitch) properly and to finish the new pieces of roof with slates. They would cover what they could and then scurry off to shelter before the weather broke upon us.

Thus it was that Kords, Papa and I were left to close all those marvellous new windows once again and to make haste up the slope to where Swayga and the others were awaiting us. We dashed, as mentioned, the last few strides to get out of the painful rain. Of course, all three of us could not fit through the door all at once, this time Kords scrambled through first. For the umpteenth time in my life I was grateful for the overhang provided by the eaves, as Papa and I did the 'you first, no you' dance, which Kords interrupted by laughing at us. I lost, and entered before Papa, just turning my head once more to observe the horrible weather. Already the new house was lost to sight, as was the great majority of the land that separated us from there.

I had a little shudder as I remembered seeing those spooky eyes from exactly that spot. I think Kords had felt the same but she was already inside, as reported.

Water was pouring off the eaves almost in a curtain and I was grateful we didn't have a wagon to ….... an idea sprang up in my idea-birthing place somewhere in the deep recesses in my mind, only to be replaced by another, more urgent one that was also something to do with the water curtain pouring down. But quite why this second one was so much more urgent, I was then unable to determine. Both ideas were not yet formed fully enough for me to use in any way.

… … …

I was therefore distracted somewhat as I came in, shaking water as well as I could from my clothing. I nodded to Swayga and the children, lost in thought, but something in their attitude made me sharpen my focus upon the others.

They were all up, dressed and being suspiciously well behaved.

I looked around and saw all except Kissa were present and grinning at me.

Little Kord started chanting: “'Lina has an idea. 'Lina has an idea.” It was so childish, I just had to grin.

But there was something else too. Something I had obviously missed. I looked again at them, I counted them, a slight frown starting as I saw nothing out of place, except the missing Kissa. A movement of Swayga's eyes made me look behind me, towards the dining table, which was, as usual, majestically commanding its place in the family room.

And I saw we had a visitor.

Well two actually.

Haka and Haris were there, Haris sleeping peacefully while Haka had the cloths, some clothes and all the sewing kits out, as she and Kissa pored over the work table, deeply engrossed in whatever it was they were doing. They barely looked up, according to Swayga, when the rain started drumming on the roof; they certainly hadn't even registered our return. They conversed in an almost inaudible murmur, the sounds of the actual words drowned by the downpour beating on our roof. Their fingers moved, stroking, rubbing and pointing, it seemed to me, on various pieces of work lying there.

So the grins hadn't been entirely at my expense; they were also for the two seamstresses, so totally lost in their world, oblivious to their surroundings.

It transpired that Haka had actually come to see me, sent by Hasinet for some reason, but decided to wait and got sucked into more sewing by Kissa. Julu wanted to join them but Swayga made her do something else first. As soon as that task was finished, Julu scooted over to the other two. Her arrival prompted a little blinking on their behalf and they broke out of their technical world and came back once more to us.

“Julina! You look lovely, as usual. And you Kordulet, too. Oh! Master Kordulen, forgive me, I didn't see you come in. I just popped up to ask Julina a sort of favour, which is also from Mistress Hasinet and also Master Fedren in a way and somehow I got sidetracked when you all weren't here. My goodness, that's a heavy rainstorm, isn't it? When did that start? Maker! It seems I must stay here until it eases, with your permission, of course.”

And so my afternoon continued, chatting with family and a friend, allowing little Haris to play with my fingers and hair – which again caused some strange feelings to course through my body – and learning some more about sewing, needlework and cloth cutting.
Oh, and pricking my fingers more than once on a sharp needle point.

The downpour continued for nigh on three bells before easing, during which time, under Haka's expert supervision, a dress 'for best' had been completed for Kords, and two more started, one for each of Swayga and Kissa.

At one point, the conversation had switched to the Tai Chi. We all found it very interesting and were amazed when Kissa just upped and repeated the first few 'forms', as we had learnt to call them, with no hesitation and no stumbles.

“Oh, it just flows together in my mind, just like the way I can feel the cloths we are sewing with. Somehow, it is obvious to me what should go where and so on. This evening, 'Lina, if you like, I will take you through the forms again, ready for the next time. I'm sure you will gain much from this as it will allow you to benefit without being stressed by what comes next. Just feel the flow and movement and forget about pre-planning it all. Pre-planning is one of your strengths of course, one from which we have all benefited through the years, but if you can let yourself relax into it, I am convinced, even after so little exposure, that you will gain much.”

I think we were all taken aback by Kissa's confident assertions and we all looked round quickly at each other. My little sister was growing up – rapidly.

Papa had poked his head out of the door, and offered to escort Haka back as it seemed the rain had ceased and the skies were brightening. I decided to go with them, and carry little Haris, since I wanted to also go with Papa to Uncle's – we were both intrigued by the newer steam engines, and Uncle, you may remember, had promised a demonstration/test this afternoon. We assumed the weather had not made him cancel.

We soon started out, slipping a little as we went down the slope rather than across, to cut short the travelling time.
I think we were all amazed at the clarity of the air as we stared down the rain-dirty valley, and gasped at the swelling of the streams we could see.

We three could also discuss the request, which, as Haka had said, involved both Mistress Hasinet and Master Fedren.

It was no secret that there was an expedition planned for me and the girls to travel down to Tranidor, although that impossibly far-off war may affect that. Mistress Hasinet had blossomed since Haka (and Haris) had come into her life, and now she had a trusted companion to work with. She wanted Haka to accompany me down to Tranidor and for her to do a search and buying session down there. This was to be a kind of test for Haka, one of which Haka was fully aware. Haka was treating it as another, by no means the last, opportunity to impress upon Hasinet her trustworthiness and abilities.

At the same time, Master Fedren, wounded as he was, was not up to such a journey just yet, and wanted to send Suril down to Tranidor to meet with the equivalents there, to set up some sort of working relationship. There were also a few other things to be done, so it made sense that their little family accompany us all. Yes, there were obvious disadvantages, but also advantages.

It seemed that there were tests for the entire Suril family.

I would need to talk it over with Epp, of course, and maybe the girls as well, but to me, it seemed a sensible and proper thing to do.

I said so, and Papa agreed with me too. I had the sudden sense that maybe the 'officialness' of this request, may have tipped the balance into Papa letting us go, so my heart lightened as that realisation set in.

Haka's face was a picture of delight, when I cautiously agreed, but made certain she understood it was not a definite 'yes'.
As we passed the level of the new house, we looked across at it of course, and again something made my previous idea/thought spring to mind. I didn't notice Papa sign to Haka to keep quiet and to not ask questions. (She told me much later that that had happened.)

Wagons. Wagons, were somehow in my thought. Wagons, and curtains of rain. The latter being in both of my ideas.

I tried to force them to come out into the light of reason, but both the thoughts turned all shy and scurried back into the recesses of my mind, hiding once more until either one or the other, or both, wanted to be considered.

… … …

“Er, Uncle? May I ask a question?”

He was about to snap off a reply to the effect that they were all very busy, but something made him stop before he uttered anything. He looked at me questioningly, before adding: “Of course, m'dear.”

I was quite surprised when His Honour, Masters Bezan, Yarling and Blandel as well as Papa all turned attentively to me. I think some of the other men around were actually shocked that a woman would command so much attention, but a frown from the Steward made them bite their tongues.

All the attention made me nervous, of course, but I swallowed and continued: “The new steam engines. Are they easily moved? I would assume so, as you had planned a demonstration before the weather intervened. So my guess is that it wouldn't be too difficult to move one around, at least a little bit.”

“Yes, my dear, you are quite right. But we must first dig out this wagon load of stone from the mire. The rain softened the ground too much for it to roll easily across the surface, and it has become bogged down.”

“Yes, but you told us you were fairly sure this steam engine here could pull three loaded wagons up the slope of Main Street, provided that the ropes were strong enough. And that that was your planned demonstration?”

“I'm very glad you listen to me and remember my words.”

“So may I make a suggestion?”

“We are all waiting for it, Julina,” Uncle replied with just a touch of exasperation.

“Could you not try to use the steam engine to pull out that bogged down wagon full of stones? Rather than try to manhandle it out? If it works, you may not have to unload it so much. And it would be a good demonstration at the same time, wouldn't it?”

Sookie's delighted laughter rang out and several of the men slapped themselves on their foreheads. The Steward was heard to mutter: “She does it again!” as he shook his head.

“It's worth a try! Thank you again, young Julina. Don't worry about asking permission in the future. Just suggest away to your heart's content.”

Uncle issued a series of commands and people scurried around in every direction it seemed. The engine was loaded, with great effort, onto a wagon and driven the short distance to the top of the slope above the stuck vehicle. There, with equally great effort, it was unloaded onto a solid base and anchored there as firmly as the men could manage.

Meanwhile, a burning fire was brought from elsewhere and placed in the fire compartment of the steam engine, with added fuel shovelled in alongside. As much already hot water as could be scrounged up was brought and poured into the water compartment and the process of heating the water got underway as rapidly as these humans could manage.

A doubled, or maybe even tripled, rope was prepared and wound round the special drum attached to the steam engine. This was led down to the stricken wagon and firmly attached. I was interested to see they attached it to the FAR end, and not the near end, the end most downslope rather than the end nearest us.

“Why do they do that, Papa?”

“I know not, my child. Mayhap, Brydas, you might care to explain?”

“Well, I have to confess that I know not the full strength of this machine. If I release the full might too rapidly, and the wagon down yonder is too deeply mired, then I just might pull the wagon apart, if it is not sufficiently sturdy. This way we are pulling the bottom towards us directly, rather than dragging it by pulling on the rest of the wagon. Hopefully the strain on the rest of the wagon will thus be reduced, and 't will survive our rough handling of it.”

His explanation made sense to me, after a while, but it was not a factor about which I would have ever thought nor considered. It made me realise that I wasn't quite so clever as all the others seemed to think I might be. I blushed at that realisation.

Soon, or so it seemed, a loud hissing prompted Uncle to announce that they would shortly be ready to make the attempt.

He would not allow everyone to be too close to the steam engine “just in case” which made Sookie grab my arm in anxiety.

Fascinated though I was by the events unfolding before my eyes, I still had a look around and counted the number of people there watching. I made it no less than a hand of hands, with two further hands being involved in the operation in some way or another.

There was a loud whistle that silenced everyone and Uncle pushed a few levers and checked a few things over and then shouted: “Ready! Three, two, one, go!”

He eased a lever forward and there was a great “Chuff” as the big wheel revolved and all the slack was taken up in the rope. Another “Chuff” and we could see the machine straining. The rope was now so taut, I fancied I could hear it humming.
“Chuff” - and a loud cheer echoed up from the bottom, followed immediately by loud cries of “Hold! Hold! No more!”

Uncle immediately reset the controls, relinquished his position and scrambled down the slope as best he could, slipping over and getting entirely muddy in the process. I stifled my giggles, and Sookie punched my arm, saying “I'll have to wash all those now – again. That's the third set he's had today.”

I wandered over nearer to the steam machine, but didn't get too near to it, in case I slipped and hit some control or other. Papa and Sookie came with me, and I suppose we emboldened a few others to do so too.

As we went, a sudden bright light hit Papa in the eyes. I turned to see from where the light came and I was blinded for an instant. Someone over there had opened one of those new windows in their home or workplace, and the glass had reflected the sun straight into our faces. It was dazzling in the extreme and it took a fair while for the bright light spot in front of my eyes to fade away again. Papa and Sookie were likewise affected, but Papa had a funny frowning look on his face as well as the contortions caused by the dazzlement.

I recognised this as HIS 'idea look' and left him to it as I used my clearing vision to try to inspect the steam engine that was sitting there hissing, it seemed to me, in a most menacing way.

Both Sookie and I stayed quite a way away from it, feeling a sense of danger somehow, but the men appeared to have no such inhibitions.

Uncle came back up, making his way as well as he could. He gestured at his sopping clothes and pulled a wry face as he shared a look with Sookie. He grinned and shrugged at me when he caught my eye and I grinned back, pretending to hold my nose as a defence against a great stink.

He laughed before he started a quick explanation: “It seems that attaching the rope to the far end was not quite such a good idea, after all. The pull wasn't exactly central and the wagon was beginning to swing sideways. So we will now attach some more ropes to each of the near corners, and then attach them to the pulling rope. That way the wagon should stay fairly straight. If that doesn't work, then we will have to try just pulling from the near end. But we did get the wagon to roll a hand of thumbs at least, so we have much more hope now. I have no idea why I didn't think of this solution, so I thank you Julina for pointing out the obvious to us. I hope we can get it all done before the light goes this evening. I deem we have scarce a bell at most remaining to us.”

He turned to Sookie and continued: “I apologise for ruining our afternoon and evening together. I had been looking forward to it so much. It now seems you must cook for me after all. Not quite such a rest as we had planned, huh?”

Papa suddenly signalled to me from behind their backs and I flashed him an agreement. I saw that Papa had a very self-satisfied, almost smug, look on his face, so I knew his idea had popped out into his mind. And I was glad that he thought to invite Sookie and Uncle to dine with us. I knew we had enough, since it was a normal 'prepare for the next few nights' occasion. They were delighted to accept, and I was surprised at just how delighted I was to be able to entertain them for the first time.

After three more, gradually better, attempts, the final arrangements of ropes and guides and drivers and steam engines and whatever else was involved allowed for the wagon to be hauled back up into the Smithy's yard. There was a great cheer that went up when it finally arrived intact and nearly fully-laden. There really could not have been a better demonstration of the capabilities and power of this machine and many of the men there were quietly thinking about the possible changes that this might mean. I think many of them began to be almost nervous about the power demonstrated here this afternoon so the chatter was in a way quite subdued.

A number of people had crowded round us to congratulate me for my idea and I was very busy blushing for a good few moments. Papa was basking in the glory and ended up inviting Masters Bezan and Yarling to dinner as well, but I noticed that he first asked Uncle and Sookie's permission to expand the guest list. This was a politeness that I filed away for future use, not having considered it before – one invitation had been issued and a second one might have changed the factors involved that were current at the time of the first one. I was so busily kicking myself for never having considered that before, that I nearly missed the question that Master Yarling had addressed to me.

“I'm sorry, Master. I was elsewhere in my thoughts. Would you please repeat your question that I may be certain I understood it correctly?”

“I merely enquired as to whether there might be something for me to bring that you would like?”

“Nothing as regards food or drink, Master. But I would be fascinated to see your pictures, as I had a glimpse of some of them. I would be delighted to hear something of the stories behind them. I am but recently very much involved in this ability and would learn more.”

“As you command, dear Mistress. I shall bring my portfolio.”

I turned to Master B and asked: “Do YOU have any pictures to share with us and perchance discuss. I can't ever recall seeing you with any.”

“I fear that that is an ability with which I have not been blessed, Mistress. I am but a simple hewer of wood and hacker of stone. Not like this delicate creature here, who is more gifted in the artistic pursuits – probably because he was somewhat work-shy when younger,” he finished with a teasing twinkle – which remark brought forth a round of chuckles and laughs from all the men surrounding us, many of whom joined in with the teasing of the poor unfortunate Yarling. I admired the way he accepted the joshing and gave back many jaunty jabs. It was all in fun, and there was not a single note of malice to be heard.

But it was still a very male environment, not one in which Sookie or I could join. I was actually, once again, impressed with the way Em had managed to fit in with this world. I wondered how she would fare when it came to joining the female half of the world on a permanent basis.

I also wondered how the rest of the world would accept that change. I suspected there might be a few who would be nasty about it.

I was grateful for all this as it enabled me to step quietly backwards and allow the attention to be on someone else at long last.

I tugged on Papa's arm and mentioned that we should perhaps slip away as soon as we could, to let Kords and Swayga know there would be an extra four mouths to feed this night. He acknowledged the reasoning and so we bid our farewells and tried to slip away.

This however, served only to re-attract the attention and it took us far too long, in my opinion, to get away.

… … …

“Well I suppose that it's alright. At least we have been doing the meals for the next few days. You will have to go and get some more wine, just in case. And if you had actually given us a little more notice, I would have had time to straighten the place and to change into a better dress. Sometimes, Kordulen, I feel you don't think things through far enough.”

“It's fine, Swayga! I was there and I assure you I considered it all carefully. I shall quickly tidy up the privy and then I shall change, taking over from you when I return, then you two can go and get ready. It is all doable, if we act sharply.”

And, interspersed with a few more grumbles, that is entirely as it worked out. Papa went off for the wine, I hastily tidied the privy, quickly changed and went to relieve Swayga and Kords.

The children were delighted to have some more company – it meant that again they could have a delayed bedtime.

I think Kords and Swayga joined in with my deep breath of relief.

I chivvied them all and indeed everything was acceptably ready when the first heavy knock came on the door. Uncle's fist was instantly recognisable.


up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The window casting the bright

The window casting the bright light, to which PaPa responded by thinking about it, makes we wonder if he might not have had a revelation of using mirrors as a way to signal from the signaling towers?
It also seems that if the leaders were to develop a two track "road" for the loaded wagons that kept their wheels out of the dirt and mud, the steam engine could be used to pull them up the grade and also be used to lower them back down. That would save on manpower and animal power by a lot. Julina definitely needs to be apprenticed into one or more of the Guilds, as she is very definitely "one sharp cookie", and with the proper educational training would be able to work even more marvelous ideas into actual use.

Long Dry Spell

It's great to see a new offerig of JoB after such a long dry spell!

DJ