The Transit of Venus - Ch 11

Printer-friendly version
image_9.jpg

“Could you, Venus, sail a yacht single-handed to Tahiti?"

Chapter 11

"What? Why on earth would I do that?"

"Why we will come to later, but for now stick to the simple question" continued Litara.

"Assuming there is a good reason for asking the question," interrupted my father "a lot of people have done just that as all it needs is money, time, good health and luck! Of those I'd say luck is the most important as of those that dream of it most never start and of those that start most never finish."

"I've never even thought of doing something like that." I added "I've sailed with dad and local boat owners in the Bristol Channel , but the only single-handing I've done though is dinghy sailing"

Litara said nothing just looking at me and waiting for an answer.

"I'd have the time if I had the money and until today I thought I had the health so I guess strictly the answer is yes, with luck! Now for goodness sake tell us what all this is about and what it has to do with my health."

* * * * * *

"How many different sorts of television documentaries can you list?"

"David Attenborough!" cried mum, whose devotion to Saint David as we teasingly called him around her was one of the few chinks in her emotional armour.

"Science, history, cooking, holiday destinations, politics, people and places, astronomy, like The Sky at Night…" mum, dad and I listed them as fast as we could…

"Enough" Litara broke in. "You get the idea that there are a lot. You know that I make them and from the time I spend away and the time I spend on the phone and computer, you know that making them takes a lot of time and coordination. What you probably didn't think about was that compared to a television soap opera they are often very expensive to produce, very difficult get an audience for and therefore very difficult to get financial backing to make."

"I watch them" I put in "why do you say it is difficult to get an audience?"

"Like most people, you watch the odd one when you happen to notice an advert for one on a particular subject that interests you. Unlike soap operas and the illustrious Saint David's programs, documentary series rarely accumulate a loyal following."

"Imagine if you could combine something with the pulling power of a soap with not one but half a dozen or more different documentary series. Earlier this year we started work on an project to do just that!

On the 8th June 2004 something is happening in Tahiti that is historically interesting and will attract the attention of a lot of people and draw in documentary makers. The plan is to make another documentary covering the sailing of a yacht from Britain to observe that event whilst linking to it as many science, art, wildlife, cultural and other documentaries as possible appropriate to the stops along the way."

"That sounds like a great idea" I rationalised; "but as you say your project is underway and there are any number of famous people or television stars who would jump at the opportunity to do that. You could even have two or more on board"

"That is what I thought, knowing nothing about sailing, but we ran into what seemed insurmountable problems" Litara explained. "Tahiti is about 10,000 miles away which I've been told is about 100 days of ocean sailing in a smallish yacht spread over the two years we want the series to run. Celebrities are expensive! They earn their pay ashore interacting with other people and the world but on a yacht for 100 days? Nobody is interesting enough to anywhere near earn that much pay just sailing!"

I immediately understood. "You've decided to cheat Litara! You want me to sail the long ocean miles for the celebrities without telling anyone that the big names didn't do it!"

"Brilliant little sister! You must have a truly devious mind to work that out so it is such a shame you are wrong. For this to work I'll need to turn YOU into the major focus of a documentary and a celebrity"

Mum, dad and I just sat there stunned, looking at each other and at Litara. How could she think of doing this to her own family? The publicity would be enormous.

"I told you all that you wouldn't like my idea but it does bring the benefit of an immediate, privately paid medical examination resulting in either rejection for the job with payment to you including expenses incurred or a job for up to 4 years with the costs covered of any medical treatment that is found necessary or desirable. The downside is that although we can keep you protected for a while, once the first program is shown in a little less than 2 years from now your circumstances will be known to the whole viewing world."

It seemed an age before Litara continued but continue she did. "I'm not callous or a monster willing to destroy my family to get what I want. The reality is that Venus needs medical treatment and even privately it might be found necessary to follow Dr Edwards' plan to save her life. Also her life is already open to the public and within a short time she will be the subject of gossip, job discrimination, maybe even newspaper slurs and violence."

"You do have alternatives though don't you Litara?" I asked. "There are other suitable people?"

"Without you the project is dead little sister. You were the one who brought me the solution a week ago. The reason is that in June 1769 Captain James Cook observed a planet cross the face of the sun in Tahiti. That didn't happen again until 1874 and 1882. Another 122 years will have passed before it can be seen again on June 8th 2004.

The planet that Captain Cook saw was Venus which why we know the event as The Transit of Venus.

up
136 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

As Venus Eclipses The Sun....

So shall she! (Half way around the world!). Ambitious
Adventure if she chooses to except it. I would hope though that the medical treatments come before the voyage. Rhona dear, this sounds more like reality Tv than a documentary. Curious to see how you proceed from here hon. Loving Hugs Talia

I wouldn't be able to do it

never having sailed, much less alone, I'd get myself in trouble in a hurry. But if she has the skills, she should go for it.

DogSig.png

Hope she likes fish!

Despite the name, I didn't see anything quite like that coming haha. Learning through good, grounded fiction!

Maybe she'll stumble across Atlantis or something too haha :)

Really enjoying this.

Thanks

AoS, I"ll be looking to you to get my details right!

Rhona McCloud's picture

Until your comment I never thought what your name meant so I googled it - Apostleship of the Sea - AoS I"ll be looking to you to get my details right!

Rhona McCloud

Interesting concept to tie

Interesting concept to tie her voyage into a historical reason regarding the planet Venus and the Sun. I just hope that if she accepts this challenge, the yacht is fully and completely outfit for her safety during the entire crossing. Sat Phones (one regular and one backup) plus radios the same way. Plus a life raft rigged out to protect her if the yacht runs into problems that might cause it to sink. Just don't want to see our heroine being lost at sea; unless it is with the little people of Gulliver's Travels. (Smile)

You can't deny history (much)

Rhona McCloud's picture

If Venus makes the voyage it will be in 2002 - 2004 when satellite phones were rare but her father is the one with the specialist knowledge

On the other hand Gullivers Travels were a childhood influence and now you have put that thought in my writing brain, who knows?

Rhona McCloud

The title was causing an itch, now scrached.

So, sailing to Tahiti was a serious question. Phew ! this kid must be one hell of a sailor to consider a solo sail 13,000 kilometres. I would assume around Africa rather then through the Canal. Rough water ! Single handed, at most a 26 footer, I'd think. Escort vessels I'd hope.

Kevin

Rumour says the world is round…

Rhona McCloud's picture

… and sail boats go downwind best. At this stage they are assuming Venus would follow the classic cruising yacht route across the Atantic, through the Panama Canal then halfway across the south Pacific to Tahiti.

Rhona McCloud

"The Sky at Night is Big and

"The Sky at Night is Big and Bright, Deep in the Heart of Texas"
David Attenborough sang this ?
I thought of that, but circling Africa would keep him closer to land and normal shipping lanes. I think it's the same distance.
Not as dramatic though. Can a small sail boat use the Panama Canal ?

Kevin