Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2411

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2411
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I awoke to the ethereal music of Geoffrey Burgon’s Nunc Dimittis written for a tv serial of Le Carré’s, Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy. I don’t remember the serial, being born after it was shown, but the music I had heard before and liked. I simply lay there feeling warm and comfortable and enchanted by the voice of the boy treble who was singing. I wished I’d had a voice as good when I was a kid, but I didn’t. It was better than most at school but I recall the music teacher saying I was more soprano than treble, implying I had a girl’s rather than boy’s singing voice. I was told often enough I had a girl’s speaking voice much to my father’s disquiet. He got fed up telling people that the girl who’d answered the phone was his son. In the end he told me not to answer the phone an instruction he eventually rescinded when he then had to answer it himself. Mum later told me that when people remarked on his daughter’s clear diction and speaking voice, he used to agree to avoid explanations as it embarrassed him.

I was quietly reminiscing when I felt somebody with cold feet clamber into bed with me, it was too big for Trish or Livvie. “Can I have a cuddle, Mummy?” It was Phoebe, whose red eyes with dark circles under them showed she hadn’t slept well last night.

“Of course,” I rolled over onto my back to make a cuddle easier for her. She snuggled up to me and rested her head on my shoulder, my arm wrapped around her. “Sad?” I asked gently stroking her back.

“Yes,” she sniffed, “It seems so unfair that Neal so wanted children but as soon as Lizzie was born he was unable to spend time with her—an’ now he’s dead.” She began sobbing, and I hugged her as best I could while she sobbed on my shoulder. “Why is life so unfair?”

“I don’t know, but at times it certainly seems to be.”

“Does god hate us? My family, I mean?”

Ask me an easy one. “I don’t believe in god as you know, so I can’t answer your question except to say, if there was a god, I doubt he’d even be aware of you or your family. So I doubt it’s personal, besides if there was a god, it would seem rather petty for a deity to visit disaster on a family for whatever reason. Wouldn’t bring in many believers, would it?”

“No I s’pose not,” she said almost laughing. Then after a short pause added, “Why did he have to die?”

“I don’t know, sweetheart, but in his confused state he decided to end his pain the only way he felt he could.”

“But surely you could have sorted his head with your magic light?”

“I tried several times but it didn’t seem to work.”

“Is that because god hated him?”

“I don’t think so. Sometimes it doesn’t work because it isn’t meant to, or the person who needs it prevents it getting to them by erecting barriers. Like everything else, it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn’t. I can’t say how or why, it seems to decide itself.”

“But that’s so unfair.”

“I’m afraid life is sometimes.”

“I don’t think I believe in god either, or he’s a real mean bastard.”

“Pheebs, I’m afraid we’ll never know what Neal was thinking of before he did what he did and simply speculating about it is pointless.”

“D’you think he was guilty, and that’s why he did it?”

“Guilty of what—missing his wife? Yes, he probably did, very much.”

“No, of driving her to kill herself.”

“I’ve neither seen nor heard any evidence that he was anything but a loving husband to Gloria and that she, probably suffering from post natal depression, took her own life through her depression. It happens even though it shouldn’t.”

“Do you always see the best in people?”

“I try to because most of the time that’s the real them. Occasionally I’m disappointed, but only occasionally and that might be due to them reacting to unhelpful circumstances.”

“I wish I was as nice as you, you really are an angel, aren’t you?”

“I’m not sure I follow your argument, Pheebs, because there is absolutely nothing angelic about me.”

“Well I think there is.”

“In which case you’re squashing one of my wings.”

“Oh sorry,” she sat up quickly and I smirked. She glowered at me before her mouth crinkled at the edges and she smiled then laughed. “You’re wicked,” she declared before laughing again.

“C’mon, let’s get some breakfast.”

“I can’t believe anyone ever thought you were a boy,” she said getting off the bed.

“Well, I’m afraid they did.”

“But you’re such a good mother.”

“People used to say that about a friend’s dog.”

“Mummy, I’m trying to be serious here.”

“Okay, be serious there, I’m going to have a wee.” When I returned from the bathroom she’d left my bedroom presumably to go back to her own. Had I blown it? See, I don’t believe I’m a good mother, I have to work hard at it and frequently get it wrong.

I quickly showered while it seemed quiet, then dried and dressed before descending to the chaos of the kitchen and breakfast. Except it wasn’t chaos, they were all there eating their breakfasts and behaving themselves. Phoebe was sitting next to Julie who was spreading jam on toast.

“Hi, Mummy,” offered Trish before having a slurp of milk.

“Tea?” asked Jacquie handing me a mug of the hot fluid.

I accepted it thanking her as I did so. It was just how I liked it.

“Shouldn’t you be in work?” I asked Julie.

“Not starting till ten.”

“Oh, okay.”

“About the only privilege of being your own boss.”

“That’s true,” I agreed, though not all the time but I wasn’t going to nit pick.

“Are you going to the salon today, Pheebs?”

“Yeah, now I feel better.”

“Well you would, wouldn’t ya, cwtching with Mummy, you’ve probably been sucking up all her energy,” said Trish with a slight hint of disapproval.

“No I haven’t, have I, Mummy?”

“No, darling,” I lied. She looked about a hundred per cent better.

“See,” she glared back at Trish.

Trish had one of those expressions which non-verbally said, ‘I don’t believe you.’

Thankfully, before they came to blows, Phoebe went up to shower then a little later she and Julie went off to the salon.

“Right, you lot, what would you like to do today?”

They all shouted something different and I instantly regretted what I’d asked them, next time I’d make the suggestion and they could say why they didn’t want to do it, and they would, they always do.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
219 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Believing in god.

Just about the only reason I could ever find for believing in god or whatever is so that I could ask the bastard why he/she took Helen so early in her life after all the good she'd done! It would be worth an eternity in hell just to tell the bastard what I thought of him! - or her!

However as a dyed-in-the-wool atheist, that opportunity will be forever denied to me.

I can understand Phoebe's distress at the death of Neal.

bev_1.jpg

You're Forgetting

...that according to us "God Botherers", this is just a way station on the Way to Heaven.

There's an old saying that only the good die young and there may be some truth in that.

Perhaps His plan is that you go when you're ready for Heaven. The rest of us are still trying to get ready.

Didn't you know: that's why they call us 'Practicing Christians'; 'cuz we're still trying to get it right.

Yours in Christ / Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Cathy the mother

Sometimes her children need one kind of sustenance, other times another kind.

"you’ve probably been sucking up all her energy,” said Trish with a slight hint of disapproval.
“No I haven’t, have I, Mummy?”
“No, darling,” I lied. She looked about a hundred per cent better.
“See,” she glared back at Trish.

Glad to see Phoebe

feels a little better, To lose all your family at her young age must be terrible, Thankfully she has a "Cathy " .... Shouldn't every home have a "Cathy" ?

Kirri

Then there's...

Then there's the philosophy... One can believe in (a) god and act that way. And, if there isn't, nothing lost. If there is, perhaps something gained. *shrugs* It's something everyone has to decide for themselves. Depending on someone else to make up your mind isn't likely to really make it up.

Thanks,
Annette (who's racing to catch up)