Take Three Girls Part 1 - Totally Re-Written

Printer-friendly version

Take Three Girls - Part 1 (Totally Rewritten)

Take Three Girls 2.jpg

Take Three Girls

(The reason for the re-write of this is given at the end of this chapter. I apologise if I have upset anyone)

Take Three Girls. This is about 2 girls and one woman (myself) and their very different route to become the women they knew they should be. It was going to be called Take Two Girls, but an on line friend (she knows who she is) and the girls bullied me into the name change. Some poetic licence has been used to help the flow of the story but not very much.

In this chapter we meet all three of the girls and you get a flavour of their experiences. As this is a true story all names and locations have been changed.

**********************************

Take Three Girls

My name is Avril. I’m a post operative transsexual, I transitioned some 10 years ago after years of denial, years of acting the macho man and years of – yes years of shame and disgust at myself for wanting to be something that society said was wrong.

Eventually I realised that I was living a lie. Denying what was patently true and so I started on the long, and at times lonely road to womanhood.
Some of my family stood by me some; unable to understand why I was doing this shunned me!
The same was true of my friends; however those that stood by me and supported me are now my true friends.

My road to womanhood was lonely and difficult. I had no idea who to turn to and in truth apart from my counsellor the medical profession while professional were not really understanding. They considered me an oddity against the socially accepted norm – thank god that things are different today.

In the end I transitioned and after years of torturous dieting I am down to 130lbs 5’ 10” I have gone blonde and to all intents and purposes a woman.
During my transition I had grown to ignore the remarks, pretending that I was impervious to them. They all hurt at the time though and did scar me.
Now it’s a totally different story as no one notices me or if they do they see the woman I am.
I am now a totally confident woman who has a profession as an engineer and a fledgling business restoring furniture.

I live in a Northern City, not known for it tolerance, and I work part-time for an organisation that mentors gender-confused teenagers. As the hurtful remarks I had endured remain with me; I was determined to try and protect these confused teenagers as much as I could mainly through being there if and when they needed me.

Please do not get the idea that every teen we see finally changes sex. The opposite is true most of the teens that come to see us are at or around puberty and are simply confused.
This is a very common occurrence that these days is a recognised condition. 99.999% realise their true sexuality and gender identity during puberty.

However the spring of 2007 was a strange month as these two girls came to see us for advice.

This is the story of two brave and very special young girls and their journey. Throughout this story I will refer to Kate and Victoria in the female gender as their original given names and gender is not important.

Kate’s Story

Spring 2007

“What are you doing tonight Jan?” I asked this of my co-worker and friend as we sat at our desks in the office we shared. “Not too much” she responded, “I think Danny’s taking me to the pub while the kids are out – then we’ll grab a Chinese on the way home and feed the brutes as they’ll be starving after dance and football.”

We both work part time and this morning we were catching up on paperwork. It was a lovely spring morning one where God had turned off the taps and turned up the heating and it was too nice to be stuck in an office.

There was a tap at the door “come in” we chorused - as the door was nearly open it was very unusual for anybody to knock. We looked at each other in a mixture of shock and amazement; “I was told to come and see you missis!” This statement came from the lips of a slender brown haired androgynous individual sporting a puffed up lip and a black eye as well as numerous bruises.

“Sweetheart please come in” Jan said, “who told you to come and see us?” “Social woman” was the terse response as she entered our small office.
“Who did that to you?” I asked, “Me mam and dad.” Came the shocking answer. “Come in and sit down errrr – what’s your name love?” She straightened her back and said, “Kate – me name’s Kate” giving me a look daring me to challenger her.

She came in and sat perched on the edge of one of three small easy chairs we had in the office as we found a desk often seems intimidating. We went and sat on the other chairs and looked at our visitor.
Jan smiled comfortingly and started, “Right Kate I take it you mean someone from the social services?” “Yep that’s right missis” came the answer. Jan smiled saying, “look Kate please call me Jan and this is Avril.” Kate simply nodded.

“Now why did the social services send you to us?” I asked “Cos I’m a girl and no one believes me.” Jan then asked, “What do you mean no one believes you?” Kate gave a cross between a sigh and a sob saying, “I told me mam and she hit me, then me dad came home from t’pub and he hit me.”
” But why sweetheart” Jan persisted. She mumbled something we didn’t catch. “Kate” Jan persisted “Please talk to us why did they do this to you?” “BECAUSE THEY TOLD ME NOT TO BE DAFT I’M A BOY!” She shouted at us then she started sobbing.
“I’m not a boy honest I’m a girl, A GIRL HEAR ME!”

Things were getting a bit stressed so I thought I’d try another tack, “Kate, you hungry?” I got s suspicious look from her as she grunted, “Why?” I struggled on, “Well it’s a really nice day and it’s lunch time how about we go across the road to McD’s and sit outside.
” For the first time we saw a bit of animation, “y’mean that miss.... sorry Avril – can I call you Av?”
I grinned answering, “yes and I’ve been called worse – Av it is.” We got our handbags and cardigans and left.
At MacDonald’s we ordered a Chicken Salad and diet coke for me (still trying to loose weight) Jan ordered a Big Mac and diet coke while our new friend Kate went for a Big Mac, large fries and a strawberry milkshake!

We went outside and sat at one of the picnic tables away from everybody else. We started eating and Jan asked, “Well Kate do you think you could tell us what’s happened?”
As we ate we managed to drag the story out of Kate. Apparently she came home from school last week and announced to her mum that her name was Kate and she was a girl not a boy!
Her mother didn’t take this well and gave her a back hander giving her a thick lip.
Later when her dad got home from the pub she got another leathering screaming, “I’LL KNOCK THIS CRAP OUT OF YOU, YOU UNGRATEFUL LITTLE SHIT – I’LL MAKE A MAN OF YOU YET!”
As Kate recounted this her façade broke and she started crying. I was sitting next to her and hugged her to me calming her down. As I hugged her slender frame to me I swear that I felt budding breasts on her chest. But now was not the time to mention this!

Jan asked, “How did the social get involved Kate?” “It sounds good” was the ambiguous reply. Confused Jan asked, “What sound good?” “Being called Kate, you’re nice you don’t tell me I’m not a girl” Jan and I looked at each other then Kate remembered the question, “Oh they’ve took me into temporary care cos me dad kept on thumping me!” As matter of fact as that as though getting hit was an everyday occurrence – which maybe it was. “How old are you Kate?” Jan asked “thirteen next week” came the reply.

“There you are I was wondering where you’d got to.”
“Hi June, I take it you’re Kate’s case officer.” Jan said. June worked for the social services we’d had dealings with her before and got on well with her. Mainly because she tries to understand the problems gender confused teens have.

Very apologetic June said, “Kate we have to go, we said we’d be at Mrs Blackmans for two.”
“Not going” Kate stated flatly “I want to stay with Jan and Av they understand me!” Calmly Jan explained, “Kate, you can’t stay with us but you can come and see us anytime. We can talk anytime. Is that ok June?”

June nodded saying, “Kate, you can come and see Jan any time, please can we go.” Reluctantly Kate got up and followed June. As June left she said “I’ll phone you in about an hour – ok?”

I’m leaving Kate here and turning to Victoria’s story.

Victoria’s Story

It was two weeks later again and we were sat chatting – one thing about this voluntary work is that you don’t feel guilty having a natter!
Jan was quizzing me on a guy who I had been going out with, “Well is it getting serious?” she probed. A bit evasively I answered, “I don’t think so I haven’t known him long” “Av,” Jan responded, “you’ve been going out with him for three months – how long do you need to know someone?” I was about to answer when a tap at the door stopped me. There stood a woman of about my age along with a stunningly beautiful girl of about 13. The woman spoke politely asking, “excuse me are you Gender Teen?”

We told her that she had found us and asked her to come into our rabbit hutch. The young girl smiled widely at this remark. I did a mental groan hoping against hope that this young girl didn’t have a gender issue; she was far too pretty to want to be a boy! Then I thought ‘she must have some problem because she’s here to see us. A quick glance at Jan and I could tell she was thinking similar thoughts.

“Please sit down” Jan said waving to the easy chairs, I dragged one of the office chairs around and we sat in a rough circle.
“Now how can we help you?” Jan asked brightly. The woman looked embarrassed clearing her throat she said quietly, “It’s my son here” Whoa did she just say son I thought! “Mother” the girl butted in, “please I’m a girl, so I’m your daughter!”

Her mother looked anguished telling us, “That is why we have come to see you. We need help and while I was visiting the doctors I saw your poster and thought........” She trailed off. The girl spoke, “it’s true I was born a boy, but I’m really a girl it’s as obvious as the nose on your face!”
This girl was very erudite and well spoken and certainly knew her mind. Her name was Victoria and she was 13!

We asked her mother how did she think we could help. Tears welled in her eyes and she answered. “I think we need professional help and I just don’t know were to turn I want what’s best for my child.”
I noticed she avoided the word daughter so I asked, “and how do you feel about Victoria?
She was silent for a while wringing her hands finally after much mental soul searching she answered. “At first I thought it was a phase he was going through but now with her breasts growing – well I just don’t know. We need some help.”
We asked about puberty and found that apart from the breast development there were no signs of male puberty.
Victoria piped up, “I’m a full ‘A’ cup they are gorgeous!” We explained about gynecomastia.

We asked about school and bullying, Victoria answered here, “Bully’s are stupid; they are socially inadequate who pick on the weak – well I’m not weak!” This was from someone who was 13 years old she was obviously wise beyond her years and mentally tough. We asked about her friends at school and found out that they were all girls.
Next we asked about her doctor, whether they had seen him. Before her mother could speak Victoria butted in “he’s a fool! Told mum I’d grow out of it – Ha!”

We suggested to her mum that she return to her doctor and ask to be referred to the Tavistock and Portman in London. They specialise in gender identity issues and will carry out a full evaluation.
I warned her that as well as physical assessment there would be be psychological assessments but not to be afraid of them as they are not judgemental they simply want what’s best for her.

As they left I commented, “Victoria you are one very lucky girl – your parents only want what’s best for you.” She nodded then asked, “Can I come and talk to you again?” We both answered in the affirmative adding, “Only if your mum doesn’t mind that is”
He mother smiled I think this session had drained her she said, “If you feel that you have to come and talk to these ladies then do so – but please let me know where you are as you know I worry.” I piped up, “Please I’m Avril and she is Jan. Ladies make us sound old!”
Victoria nodded smiling saying, “I will mum you know I love you” then looking directly at me she ended with, “I think you know what I’m going through – bye and thanks.”

Every Woman's Song

As they left the two of us flopped down on the easy chairs looking at each other in amazement. Jan said “two serious looking cases in one month? Are they putting something in the water?”

Writers Note: I have re-written this as I felt telling it in the third person did not convey the raw emotions and the actuality of events at the time.
This could well have been down to the fact that I was uncomfortable in writing in the third person preferring to write as I would tell someone.
If I have upset anyone I really apologise. If you have read both versions before I asked Erin to remove it I would appreciate your comments – and forgiveness.

up
124 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

How to lose weight and influence people.

Rhona McCloud's picture

Great video link to start and Angela Aki's 'Every Woman's Song' had me in tears at the end.

The writing has a nice rhythm to it after your rewrite, with a definite but unobtrusive Northern lilt. If you haven't totally fictionalised Kate and Victoria and this is 7 years on, with those characters they must be ready to conquer the world by now!

ps 130lb! You go girl!!

Rhona McCloud

Rewrite

I like this version better than the first as it seems a lot more personal.

I loved the song - very emotional....

and I envy you at 130lbs

Joanna

130lbs???

Christina H's picture

Hi, Rhona and Joanna

I only work in whole numbers, so I'm below 140lbs and above 130lbs it's called the ostrich syndrome a well know medical condition suffered by women of a certain size.

Thanks for your comment on the version, I prefer writing this way and I totally agree with the song it brings tears to my eye's

Christina