Eve - Chapter 21

Printer-friendly version
Eve  

Chapter 21
(Revised)

 

Simon Jones is Eve Jones. But she didn't know.

 

 
 
Previously:

 
Eve and Claire have made up.

 
Now the story continues.
 
 
 
Eve Chapter 21
 
 
 

I was emotionally drained on Saturday morning after the events of the last few days but had woken at seven and couldn't get back to sleep. Rather than just laying there I used the time to continue work on my essay about European history, unfortunately it was supposed to have been handed in yesterday. Breakfast was a ten minute interruption, as was my shower.

Claire walked into my room just after nine. I'd managed about two thousand words by now and was well into the flow, with the rest of the report mapped out - in my mind at least.

"Want a break? I think we both need some time out."

"Claire, you know I won't argue about that. I don't think I can stare at this screen too much longer this morning."

"How about we go see a film?"

"That sounds ok, but what do I wear?"

"Come on girl, you should have an idea by now. Let's have a look."

She threw open my wardrobe and started pulling out clothes. In the end we settled for jeans and a long-sleeved top, but there were quite a few giggles while trying to make our minds up. Of course I wasn't wearing my enhancers up until now and had to change my bra to accommodate them. Claire promised not to mention this transgression if I didn't, but teased me mercilessly while I was changing.

It took another ten minutes to get my make-up done, so it looked like I wasn't wearing any. One day all this will make sense to me.

We walked downstairs and spoke to mum while she checked my clothing choices. Claire had apparently already mentioned her plan, I was just a little surprised they were on talking terms. Of course I didn't know the whole plan yet, nothing new there,

"Be back by six." She handed me some cash, muttering that I wasn't to spend it all.

That was easy enough. We left, hand in hand, and walked to the bus stop. Saturday services were similar to weekdays and we didn't have to wait too long, just over ten minutes later we were pulling into the town centre bus station. Traffic had been light, but then we were still seven weeks from Christmas, another three weeks and the Saturday morning roads would be awful.

There was a multiplex cinema on one of the out of town retail parks but bus services there were lousy so we used the three screen cinema in town. The show didn't start for nearly two hours so Claire pulled me into the nearest clothes shop whilst I was otherwise staring at the film posters. We spent the next hour going through the various shops in the centre of town, trying on everything. My artificially increased bust was needed to properly wear some of the tops. We giggled throughout.

In the end we had one bag each, my cash supply hadn't suffered too much. As it was now half-past eleven, and my feet ached, Claire suggested lunch.

Mum's never been keen on fast food but I wasn't too bothered. We went in, ordered and took our buns and shakes upstairs to the seating area there. Once we'd finished Claire reached for my hands.

"Eve, I need to say this again. I'm sorry I hurt you. I should have spoken to you instead of making assumptions."

"Claire, I'm sorry that my mum interfered and then involved your mum, it wasn't her right to do that. We have to be in control of this relationship, not them. I promise I will talk to you first if I think this sort of thing is happening again, I'm not always sure that mum has my best interests at heart, but I have to trust her, for now."

"Eve, I promise the same." She mouthed 'I love you'.

I wanted to grab her there and then but a family of four had sat a few tables away. I had another idea.

"Lets go for a walk?"

We walked out, holding hands, and walked to the middle of the precinct sitting in full view of the Saturday shoppers. I reached over and pulled her lips to mine. All was forgiven, whether or not it needed to be.

When we broke for air, not one person was looking, not that I was concerned about such a public show of affection, not any more. Claire reached into her pocket and pulled out a letter.

"This was given out to us at school yesterday. Have a read."

The letter was from the Acting Head and explained that the original head would return on Monday. He went onto state that intolerance and bullying would not be tolerated and that David Stevens had been excluded permanently. He also said that one other student had been given a two week suspension and was under suspended exclusion. Most this I knew, or had worked out. Some of the words were rhétorique, the Acting Head could hardly say they supported bullying, could they?

What was also mentioned was that the Bursar had resigned for personal reasons and that a new code of practice for staff and students was being drawn up. Ofsted had made an unexpected inspection of the school this week and had expressed concern so a repeat inspection would happen before Christmas. In the meantime, he said, the Governing Body had taken measures to address Ofsted's report and no further disruption was expected. It was odd that the school hadn't posted a copy to me at home.

I handed the letter back to Claire and gave her a peck on the cheek then walked across to the cinema and chose a soppy film that was starting at one.

We walked in with bottles of spring water, after the chicken burgers and shakes we did not need any popcorn or fizzy drinks. As we sat down we heard some shouting behind us in the lobby, I ignored it,as did Claire, and waited for the film to start.

It really was a weepy with a little comedy thrown in, at least that's what the poster in the foyer had claimed, only thing was I only got a few glances at the screen over the next two hours. Claire and I had found a double seat so spent the duration in each-others arms. The only times I did that a few look at the screen was when I wasn't looking into Claire's eyes. We didn't dare speak, so as not to annoy the other film-goers, but who needs words when you're in love?

We left arm in arm and walked to the bus station, finally reaching our homes by half three. We went into Claire's house and up to her room, Sharon and Annie were out. We forgot the rule about the bedroom door, even so. I reckoned Her tonsils needed another check over.

There was a soft knock on the bedroom door and Annie walked in.

"Did you hear what happened in town today?"

"No."

"David Stevens went to the cinema but they wouldn't let him in. Security put him outside but he made threats so the police were called."

Claire and I looked at each-other.

"We were in the cinema when we heard some shouting but didn't see anything." I said.

Annie left us. I wondered briefly if the trouble had anything to do with us, but was soon caught up in Claire's lips again.

I walked indoors at five to six and put my shopping bag by the stairs, I was cutting it fine but was technically within mum's deadline.

"Good film?"

"Yes."

"So how much did you actually see?"

"Hmmm."

"Eve, I was young once, believe it or not. By the way, your lipstick told me everything I needed to know."

Our meal was simple. Just as well as I could still feel that chicken burger and wondered if I had a touch of indigestion.

We sat and watched some telly after dinner. Strictly Come Dancing was the main show for the Beeb on Saturdays and would be until almost Christmas. We were starting to doze just after ten so I reluctantly took myself upstairs to wash and change. The hot chocolate was again forgotten for the night and I fell asleep quickly.

I dreamed of Claire and I dancing in ball gowns on a huge dance floor. The glitter ball was spinning and the band was playing. Just for us.

up
294 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Just for us."

sweet.

But I think David isn't finished with them yet.

DogSig.png

It does appear that David

It does appear that David Stevens just can't grasp the concept that he is a big NO, NO when it comes to going into various places now. His own actions will probably result in him be excluded from almost everywhere in the town, and possibly the area surrounding the town. The big problem with him, is that he is the type of person who does not believe the law or rules are meant for him, so he will anything to circumvent them. This could become a big problem for Eve and Claire; or even their Mothers.

David

He just can't help getting himself into even more trouble, seemingly by the day. At this rate, by the time he eventually makes it to court, they'll likely have enough evidence of his numerous misdeeds to throw the proverbial book at him...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!